Planted Aquarium V5 - http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1488629 - by freestyler87
Planted Aquarium V6 - http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1688071 - by michanz
Planted Aquarium V7 - http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2007035 - by ciohbu
Planted Aquarium V8 - http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2255889 - by ciohbu
Planted Aquarium V9 - http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2255889 - by weijie
Planted Aquarium V10 - Planted tank V10 - by weijie
Planted Aquarium V11 - http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2658495 - by qz4eva
Planted Aquarium V12 - https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2767979 - by weijie

Creating a Nature Aquarium (do note that there are many substrate brands in the market, you do not need to follow EXACTLY the steps given below)
1. Bottom layer
-> lava rocks / ADA 5elements (Bacter100, clear super, tourmaline BC, Penac W, Penac P)
user posted image

2. Substrate layer: Soil (eg: ADA aquasoil normal type, ADA aquasoil powder type, JBL base fert, etc)
user posted image

3. Layout: Rocks, Driftwoods
user posted image

4. Plants
user posted image

5. Livestock: Fishes/shrimps/snails (add after major water change 50-70% 1week after initial setup)
user posted image

"Dry Start Method" or "Emersed Growth Method"
Different people may have different opinions on this, but in my opinion this is the easiest way to create a scape especially "Iwagumi" style aquascapes where the plants we use are just foreground plants. One of the biggest challenges when we create aquascapes with just one variety of foreground plants is the plant mass is less when the initial planting is done. Now when we use substrate like ADA Amazonia II which is rich in nutrients the plant volume is not enough to absorb all the excess nutrients that algae takes over and it becomes extremely difficult to maintain such tanks until the plants have established and grown fully. Now for people who don't want to go through this trouble of the initial phase but yet end up with a Iwagumi scape like the one below, this method is the perfect solution.
user posted image
During this phase you really don't need to do much maintenance on the tank. You don't need to have very high lights on the tank as well as there is no water column to penetrate. No CO2 injection required. All you need to do is keep your lights on for 8-10 Hrs a day, open the wrap once a week for 5 min so that fresh air gets in and seal it back up. The results after two and half months is below.
user posted image
Once the plants have filled in like shown above, it's time to fill the tank with water. Once the water is filled, CO2 injection is required and needs to be kept very high for 2 weeks close to 5 bubbles per second (bps). Afterward, bring it down to 3bps. Setup lights as per the plants requirements. (Cuba is not a very light demanding plant). Setup filter that you have decided on using. If you are using nutrient rich substrate like ADA Amazonia II, follow the below light and water change routine.

Week 1: 3 Hrs of Light , 50 % Water change once in 3 Days
Week 2: 5 Hrs of Light , 30 % Water change once in 3 Days
Week 3: 7 Hrs of Light , 30% Water change once a week
Week 4: 9 Hrs of Light , 30% Water change once a week

Your tank is completely cycled after this stage and if you follow the above routine you will have minimal algae issues except for some diatom algae during the first 2 weeks on the glass which is easily wiped off during your water changes.

NOTE: A correct combination of amount of Light , CO2 and nutrients is required to keep a planted tank free of algae bloom. In most cases it is excessive light that causes the problem. Keep your lighting moderate and you will have minimal algae issues.
TSweijie
post Aug 24 2013, 03:26 PM

18 posts

Types of Filtration:
Mechanical Filtration: This type of filtration is used to remove suspended dirt, floating particles and debris from the water column. This type of filtration is achieved by foam, sponge, fiber mesh and similar fine meshed media. Below is an example of a Mechanical Filter Media from an Eheim Canister Filter.
user posted image

Biological Filtration: This is the main type of filtration that is required for any aquarium. This mainly consists of media like Ceramic Rings, Bio Balls, Lava Rocks, etc, essentially media which is highly porous which provides a large surface area. Lot of essential bacteria like nitrifying bacteria and microorganisms thrive and multiply in this type of media and the high surface area provided by this type of media directly results in the amount of bacteria that colonize in your filter. These bacteria are found in the tank and form a film over every surface inside the aquarium and are referred to as “Bio Film” but the quantity of this in the tank is not enough. Hence we use Biological Media in the filter to provide a good growing area for these bacteria. These bacteria convert harmful shrimp waste which is essentially ammonia into harmless nitrates which is readily absorbed by the plants as nutrients. Without the biological filtration in place the shrimp waste spoils the water quality and the flora and fauna suffer which also leads to death. This type of media should ideally form 80% of the entire media used in the filter.
user posted image

There are commercially available products that have dormant essential bacteria that become active when you add them to your tank. It usually comes in a powder form and can be used underneath the substrate, sprinkled inside your tank and on the biological filter media. This will jump start your Tank cycling process. This can also be used in case you end up wiping out the essential bacteria in your setup for any reason. Some examples of these products are ADA Bacter 100, ADA Bacter Ball, Mosura Bio Plus etc. There is also biological filtration media which come seeded with the essential bacteria like ADA Bio Rio which also reduces your tank cycling time and also has excellent surface area for your bacteria to colonize. To know if you’re nitrifying bacteria and other essential bacteria are doing well, you can use an ammonia/nitrite test kit. These should ideally be zero.Below is a picture of ceramic rings.

Chemical Filtration: This type of filter is used to remove harmful chemicals from the water in the tank. Activated Carbon is what is used to act as a chemical filter. The life of activated carbon is 7 – 14 days based on the quality. After which it needs to be replaced if required. External Canister Filters come with an Activated Carbon Pad as a part of the filter media. Once a tank is cycled, you really don’t need to have this media in your filter unless you suspect that there are some harmful chemicals in the water. It is good to keep this media handy with you, in case for any reason if some harmful chemicals do get introduced to your tank through the tap water or other sources you can use this media in your filter to nullify the effect of those chemicals on your shrimps. Below is a picture of Activated Carbon
user posted image

Common types of mechanical filter
External Canister Filters: These are the best type of filters for planted aquarium. They have a large media chamber which can be effectively used for housing a large amount of Biological Media. They sit outside the tank and hence make the tank look clutter free. Have a smooth and silent operation. Eheim Filters are one of the best External Canister Filters available in the market. Below is a picture of an Eheim Classic Canister Filter and the ideal way to layer media in the canister filter.
user posted imageuser posted image

Hang On Back Filter: Also called as HOB’s, these filters are hung on the edge of the glass, there is a pipe which goes into the aquarium and is used to siphon the water out into the main filtration chamber which sits outside the aquarium and flows back into the aquarium through an outlet. These come in various filter capacity referred to as LPH (Liters per Hour). These are ideal for small tanks. You can put some Biological Filtration Media in the chamber, but the space is very limited.
user posted image

Sponge Filter: This type of filter is the most commonly used filters, this filter is placed completely inside an Aquarium and is air driven by an aerator. The main component of these filters is a sponge which acts as a mechanical filter and this works well as a biological filter as well. These again come in various sizes and you should choose one based on your tank capacity.
user posted image

Under Gravel Filter: Also commonly known as UG Filter. This consists of a base plate with grooves, The substrate is covered over the base plate. There is a pipe which goes into the base plate and this is the one which is visible above the surface. This filter as the sponge filter is a air driven filter. The essential bacteria colonization happens in the base plate. Some professional breeders use this in conjunction with the External Canister Filter, where the pipe coming from the base plate is connected to the intake of the canister filter. When you are using UG Filter ensure that you use a substrate that does not easily break down, as this will get into the grooves of the base plate and eventually end up clogging it.

Cleaning Your Filter:
Yes, there is a right way to do this. Your filter is constantly removing debris and muck from your tank and all this is getting accumulated in the filtration media in your filter. This accumulation reduces the filters flow rate and hence its effectiveness. Ensure that you clean your filter media when you see your filter flow rate has reduced.

Take some water from the aquarium in a vessel or tub, rinse and squeeze the dirt out from the mechanical filter media in this tub. For the biological filter media like your ceramic rings, bio balls etc, what i usually do is put them in a wide mesh net bag so that they can be easily removed for filter maintenance. Just dip the bag with the filter media a couple of times in the tub to remove large pieces of dirt and debris. Do not give a thorough wash for this media, the concept is simple, if you give it a good wash you will end up wiping away the majority of your bacteria along with it and it takes time for the biological filter to establish again. Another thing that i do is always after a filter is cleaned, i put in some artificial bacteria like ADA Bacter 100 into the filter chamber itself in the cases of Canister and HOB, In cases of other filters i just put this into the tank itself to replenish lost bacteria.

Thanks to ShrimpNow !!!
TSweijie
post Aug 24 2013, 03:27 PM

18 posts

Local Fish Shop selling Planted Aquarium Equipment and Accessories

CHERAS/HULU LANGAT
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

SUBANG JAYA/PETALING JAYA

DAMANSARA

PUCHONG

OTHERS

JOHOR

OUTSIDE KLANG VALLEY

This post has been edited by weijie: Aug 14 2014, 01:56 PM
TSweijie
post Aug 24 2013, 03:27 PM

18 posts

Substrate Additives,

ADA 5elements explanations
Source: Plocher, http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showpost...45&postcount=70

TSweijie
post Aug 24 2013, 03:38 PM

18 posts

Welcome to Planted tank V13 !

Simple Rule in this forum topic:
This Planted tank forum is used for discussion and sharing information related to planted tank community.
DO NOT post your Adversitement here !!!
budakdegilz
post Jan 10 2015, 04:58 PM

Regular
1,133 posts

reserved
budakdegilz
post Jan 10 2015, 04:59 PM

Regular
1,133 posts

reserved
budakdegilz
post Jan 10 2015, 04:59 PM

Regular
1,133 posts

reserved
budakdegilz
post Jan 10 2015, 05:00 PM

Regular
1,133 posts

reserved
budakdegilz
post Jan 10 2015, 05:03 PM

Regular
1,133 posts

reserved
Malformed
post Jan 10 2015, 05:22 PM

Getting Started
270 posts

Great to see planted aquarium entering a new thread!
Ashraf Farid
post Jan 10 2015, 07:41 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

Allow me to reiterate a previous question.

Anyone know a fish shop selling bristlenose plecos? Want to breed them in my pond.
cute_miao
post Jan 12 2015, 08:30 AM

Look at MY STARS!!!!!!!!!
1,438 posts

Congrats...but seems the response are getting slightly slower than previous years.
soul_gamerz
post Jan 12 2015, 08:35 AM

Casual
371 posts

newbies here tongue.gif
nairud
post Jan 12 2015, 05:25 PM

One Leg Kick Ultra
Group Icon
Staff
7,523 posts

post #1-5 moved to here
tzuen
post Jan 12 2015, 05:26 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(Ashraf Farid @ Jan 10 2015, 07:41 PM)
Allow me to reiterate a previous question.

Anyone know a fish shop selling bristlenose plecos? Want to breed them in my pond.
icon_idea.gif V14 rclxms.gif

Maybe you can look for it at:

1. https://www.facebook.com/R08ThatFishShop
2. https://www.facebook.com/nextaqua

tzuen
post Jan 12 2015, 05:27 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(nairud @ Jan 12 2015, 05:25 PM)
post #1-5 moved to here
Thanks moderator.
Ashraf Farid
post Jan 12 2015, 06:31 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

QUOTE(tzuen @ Jan 12 2015, 05:26 PM)
icon_idea.gif V14  rclxms.gif

Maybe you can look for it at:

PMed them. Thanks.
kurangak
post Jan 13 2015, 01:21 PM

certified /k addict
1,010 posts

ive made a mistake. bought 2 dwarf gourami. tot my tank is big enough for both of them. turns out its not n now 1 is terrorising the other doh.gif

anybody interested in adopting 1 dwarf gourami+a few sickly looking assassin snail?

This post has been edited by kurangak: Jan 13 2015, 01:22 PM
Ashraf Farid
post Jan 13 2015, 01:40 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

Just realised: Assassin snails are native to Malaysia.

Gonna look out for some next time I go netting biggrin.gif
Ashraf Farid
post Jan 14 2015, 02:51 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

Quick vid of my pond. Tiger barbs, jewel cichlids, and a fivesome of siamese algae eaters.

As you can see, the algae eaters will have plenty to munch on lmao.

Excuse the bad audio. Camera acting up.

tzuen
post Jan 14 2015, 03:37 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(Ashraf Farid @ Jan 14 2015, 02:51 PM)
Quick vid of my pond. Tiger barbs, jewel cichlids, and a fivesome of siamese algae eaters.

Nice pond you got there? No water flowing from the top?

is that a chair for you to sit and have a pool view ? laugh.gif laugh.gif
sniper on the roof
post Jan 14 2015, 05:24 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,399 posts

Semi planted tank can masuk? laugh.gif laugh.gif

user posted image

tzuen
post Jan 14 2015, 05:26 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ Jan 14 2015, 05:24 PM)
Semi planted tank can masuk?  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

user posted image
Hei, did you just rescape your tank? laugh.gif If not mistaken, this not your tank setup previously. Where are your shrimps?
sniper on the roof
post Jan 14 2015, 05:28 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,399 posts

QUOTE(tzuen @ Jan 14 2015, 05:26 PM)
Hei, did you just rescape your tank?  laugh.gif If not mistaken, this not your tank setup previously. Where are your shrimps?
No... this one is home desk betta tank.

Previously was office shrimp tank which was again nuked by disinfectants (for the second time) so now give up and keep guppies in the office sweat.gif sweat.gif
NiniWahab
post Jan 14 2015, 05:33 PM

0 posts

Love your betta. It'll be nice to put more plants in the future. Bettas love to have more places to hide and explore smile.gif
sniper on the roof
post Jan 14 2015, 05:35 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,399 posts

QUOTE(NiniWahab @ Jan 14 2015, 05:33 PM)
Love your betta. It'll be nice to put more plants in the future. Bettas love to have more places to hide and explore smile.gif
Thanks. It's a new tiny 5L tank so it shouldn't take too long for the java fern and the floating plant to overwhelm the tank sweat.gif
Ashraf Farid
post Jan 14 2015, 07:25 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

QUOTE(tzuen @ Jan 14 2015, 03:37 PM)
Nice pond you got there? No water flowing from the top?

is that a chair for you to sit and have a pool view ?  laugh.gif  laugh.gif
No filter. The whole pond is meant to be filtered with the mass of valisneria in the middle, and the clumps of rotala and ludwigia by the sides.

And the algae lmao. I swear though, it does not look anywhere near as murky from the top.

And yes, that is my throne.

Sniper, thats a pretty cool setup. Is that just normal teratai?

And does anyone know where they sell ludwigia sedoides in malaysia? A prettier looking floating plant I have not seen.

NiniWahab
post Jan 14 2015, 07:53 PM

0 posts

Ludwigia sedioides - I found some at Nilufar. Very pretty. This was like a month ago. Oh.. I forgot. Try Sungai Buloh. The guy though, tried to sell them to me along with a humongous pot. Said he wouldn't sell separately. It's a shop selling just pots... gosh I can't remember which lot though. Maybe you can sweet talk him into selling them to you. Am also looking for it.
Ashraf Farid
post Jan 14 2015, 09:45 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

QUOTE(NiniWahab @ Jan 14 2015, 07:53 PM)
Ludwigia sedioides - I found some at Nilufar. Very pretty. This was like a month ago. Oh.. I forgot. Try Sungai Buloh. The guy though, tried to sell them to me along with a humongous pot. Said he wouldn't sell separately. It's a shop selling just pots... gosh I can't remember which lot though. Maybe you can sweet talk him into selling them to you. Am also looking for it.
Thanks. Thats not very far from where I live, so will try to make the trip when I'm free.

Was the guy trying to sell you the pot in Nilufar of the Sungai Buloh shop?

If its the latter, thats really interesting. So many aquatic plants are grown emersed, I sometimes wonder if we could find something new for our tanks when browsing nurseries.
sniper on the roof
post Jan 15 2015, 05:30 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,399 posts

QUOTE(Ashraf Farid @ Jan 14 2015, 07:25 PM)

Sniper, thats a pretty cool setup. Is that just normal teratai?

Dunno what its called sweat.gif
tzuen
post Jan 15 2015, 08:52 PM

Casual
405 posts

Guys. Anyone of you know what type of algae that surface on the rock? Hair Algae?

user posted image
budakdegilz
post Jan 15 2015, 09:46 PM

Regular
1,133 posts

QUOTE(tzuen @ Jan 15 2015, 08:52 PM)
Guys. Anyone of you know what type of algae that surface on the rock? Hair Algae?

user posted image
newly setup tank??
tzuen
post Jan 15 2015, 10:40 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(budakdegilz @ Jan 15 2015, 09:46 PM)
newly setup tank??
Nope. it's been few months.
SupermanLick
post Jan 16 2015, 12:26 AM

Getting Started
282 posts

user posted image
Those plan die very quick
&than bettas fish die soon biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
sniper on the roof
post Jan 16 2015, 12:28 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,399 posts

QUOTE(SupermanLick @ Jan 16 2015, 12:26 AM)
Those plan die very quick
&than bettas fish die soon biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif
I don't quite understand you.

Never had any problems with java ferns and floating plant.
budakdegilz
post Jan 16 2015, 12:29 AM

Regular
1,133 posts

QUOTE(tzuen @ Jan 15 2015, 10:40 PM)
Nope. it's been few months.
white colour??
possible some sort of bacteria fungus..
in my experience...it will go away in times
-kytz-
post Jan 16 2015, 01:40 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,047 posts

Sniper, do update on your betta.

Last time, I got fed up keeping betta because their fin keep rotting, so I gave up liao. I actually absolutely love betta sad.gif
tzuen
post Jan 16 2015, 09:37 AM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(budakdegilz @ Jan 16 2015, 12:29 AM)
white colour??
possible some sort of bacteria fungus..
in my experience...it will go away in times
That's what i thought so, it doesn't looks like algae to me, but fungus more. Treating it with Hydrogen Peroxide, but time consuming.
Ashraf Farid
post Jan 16 2015, 09:49 AM

Getting Started
56 posts

Tzuen, I really think it looks more like diatoms than fungus....

Fungus tends to appear on wood, or something organic that they can feed off of.
NiniWahab
post Jan 16 2015, 10:21 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(-kytz- @ Jan 16 2015, 01:40 AM)

Last time, I got fed up keeping betta because their fin keep rotting, so I gave up liao. I actually absolutely love betta sad.gif
This may be off topic, but to me keeping a betta is just like keeping any other fish: 1. regular water change to avoid build up of ammonia, 2. space 9.5 L (or 2.5 gallons) and up is ideal (but smaller containers with religious WC are okay too, depending on the size of bettas) , 3. good quality betta food they're carnivores, they can't eat normal fish food. Fin rot is mainly caused by ammonia build up, can easily be remedied with clean water and aquarium salt if the fin rot is severe. You can also put a piece of ketapang leaf in your betta tank. It'll also be ideal to have a filter, although not necessary, because you can do less frequent water change when the tank is fully cycled. This link is useful : Water change schedule based on water volume . Having a planted tank with or without filtration is beneficial for the bettas in so many ways. Especially the floating plants. My tap water usually has 10 - 20 ppm of nitrates in it but after 3 days, when I tested the water parameters, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are 0 in my betta containers which are half covered by floating plants.

So good luck smile.gif
sniper on the roof
post Jan 16 2015, 10:22 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,399 posts

QUOTE(-kytz- @ Jan 16 2015, 01:40 AM)

How come? I thought they're simple to keep? sweat.gif

My tank's still new. So far so good.
jctasoga
post Jan 16 2015, 10:26 AM

Getting Started
179 posts

just a suggestion, maybe can add in the medication for fish that treats for fin rotting? blue colour type? I think that works wonders.... even though this is for the rocks etc...

do remember to make regular water changes too. smile.gif
sniper on the roof
post Jan 16 2015, 10:49 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,399 posts

Since we're in the topic... Is this fin rot? He was like that when I got him

user posted image

user posted image
NiniWahab
post Jan 16 2015, 11:05 AM

0 posts

Sniper: the dorsal fin looks a bit tattered but I can't say for sure. Halfmoon bettas tend to bite their own fins for many reasons, most unknown, sometimes boredom, or stress. The fin in fin rot usually has black or red edges and the egdes itself look frayed. I wouldn't worry about it if you keep a tight schedule on the water change. Monitor the water parameter if you have a test kit. and your plants will help. the floating ones will propagate like crazy with enough light/sunlight.
tzuen
post Jan 16 2015, 11:29 AM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(Ashraf Farid @ Jan 16 2015, 09:49 AM)
Tzuen, I really think it looks more like diatoms than fungus....

Fungus tends to appear on wood, or something organic that they can feed off of.
Thanks Ashraf. Just google, and i hope this option works.

user posted image

Brown Algae (Diatoms)
Diatom Algae

Brown Algae, or diatoms, often present themselves as a brown, muddy, muck that covers plant leaves and hardscape items. It is rare to be seen in a fully established aquarium.

Causes:
Newly setup tank – Aquariums that have just been setup seem to be prone to diatom algae.
Excess nutrients – Silica in particular appears to be a trigger. Contact your water utility company for a report detailing silica concentrations in your water supply.
Possibly old bulbs – Sometimes, old bulbs can encourage the conditions for diatom algae.

Cure:
Time – Allow it to use up the excess silica, and it will often disappear on its own.
Manual removal – Siphon/scrape diatoms manually for quick removal.
Algae Crew – Otocinclus and Nerite snails are fantastic at clearing a tank of diatoms. They help with other sorts of algae as well.

sos
sniper on the roof
post Jan 16 2015, 11:36 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,399 posts

QUOTE(NiniWahab @ Jan 16 2015, 11:05 AM)
Sniper: the dorsal fin looks a bit tattered but I can't say for sure. Halfmoon bettas tend to bite their own fins for many reasons, most unknown, sometimes boredom, or stress. The fin in fin rot usually has black or red edges and the egdes itself look frayed. I wouldn't worry about it if you keep a tight schedule on the water change. Monitor the water parameter if you have a test kit. and your plants will help. the floating ones will propagate like crazy with enough light/sunlight.
Thanks for the headsup.

I'm doing ~25% WC per day since its new and remove detritus whenever it appears (reason why I use white gravel).
-kytz-
post Jan 16 2015, 02:20 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,047 posts

QUOTE(NiniWahab @ Jan 16 2015, 10:21 AM)
This may be off topic, but to me keeping a betta is just like keeping any other fish: 1. regular water change to avoid build up of ammonia, 2. space 9.5 L (or 2.5 gallons) and up is ideal (but smaller containers with religious WC are okay too, depending on the size of bettas) , 3. good quality betta food they're carnivores, they can't eat normal fish food. Fin rot is mainly caused by ammonia build up, can easily be remedied with clean water and aquarium salt if the fin rot is severe. You can also put a piece of ketapang leaf in your betta tank. It'll also be ideal to have a filter, although not necessary, because you can do less frequent water change when the tank is fully cycled. This link is useful : Water change schedule based on water volume . Having a planted tank with or without filtration is beneficial for the bettas in so many ways. Especially the floating plants. My tap water usually has 10 - 20 ppm of nitrates in it but after 3 days, when I tested the water parameters, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are 0 in my betta containers which are half covered by floating plants.

So good luck smile.gif
Been there done that, I even had a ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH tester and everything was normal hmm.gif

Yes, done both the salt and Melafix. Btw, don't get melafix doesn't do anything, in fact it might make it worse lol. It's basically tea tree oil.

sniper on the roof
post Jan 16 2015, 03:09 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,399 posts

QUOTE(-kytz- @ Jan 16 2015, 02:20 PM)
Been there done that, I even had a ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH tester and everything was normal hmm.gif

Yes, done both the salt and Melafix. Btw, don't get melafix doesn't do anything, in fact it might make it worse lol. It's basically tea tree oil.
How come?

I see my colleague keep them in jars for years also no problem shocking.gif
NiniWahab
post Jan 16 2015, 03:11 PM

0 posts

kytz: It happened to most of my halfmoon bettas. If not fin rot, it's tail biting. I kept them in these 2 gallons plastic containers. I think they were stressed out because like you, I did everything I could, alternate day WC. I bought them all nice and in a few weeks their tails were frayed. So I borrowed my mom's big ceramic containers, about 6 gallons or so, put some ketapang leaves, plenty of floating plants and released them in their respective containers. The next day they were flaring, more active, and their appetite improved tremendously. I do only do weekly 50-60 % WC with them in the containers. 2 months after they were first transferred, their fins were restored although a bit lighter coloured, they grew larger and overall healthier.

I do not know if it's the extra space/volume of water, or the ketapang leaves or the darker environment that makes them healthier and happier (I assume they're happy). I bought those long plastic planters, those Baba brands you find in garden nurseries with stoppered holes at the side and bottom to put the newly bought bettas in. They can also hold like 6 gallons of water. The downside to it is that 1. you can't see them only from the top, 2. those things may be awkward if placed indoors. But my bettas and floating plants love them. Maybe you can give them another try then smile.gif

PS: Another thing i find weird, maybe if anyone care to explain this is that before this I used my filter, just one of those small Panasonic filter you install in the kitchen sink, definitely not RO water. The thing is for my well filtered planted tanks, my fish and shrimps do fine in them but the bettas in unfiltered containers got quite lethargic. Whereas the betta I have upstairs are doing quite well with normal treated tap water. Maybe it's just coincidence? Maybe there's not much trace elements in the filtered water. Anyway, I've stopped using filtered water for all my tanks. Using the filtered water in the first place was just for my own peace of mind in case I forgot to add Prime.

This post has been edited by NiniWahab: Jan 16 2015, 03:22 PM
<-- no content -->
sniper on the roof
post Jan 16 2015, 03:23 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,399 posts

QUOTE(NiniWahab @ Jan 16 2015, 03:11 PM)
kytz: It happened to most of my halfmoon bettas. If not fin rot, it's tail biting. I kept them in these 2 gallons plastic containers. I think they were stressed out because like you, I did everything I could, alternate day WC. I bought them all nice and in a few weeks their tails were frayed. So I borrowed my mom's big ceramic containers, about 6 gallons or so, put some ketapang leaves, plenty of floating plants and released them in their respective containers. The next day they were flaring, more active, and their appetite improved tremendously. I do only do weekly 50-60 % WC with them in the containers. 2 months after they were first transferred, their fins were restored although a bit lighter coloured, they grew larger and overall healthier.

I do not know if it's the extra space/volume of water, or the ketapang leaves or the darker environment that makes them healthier and happier (I assume they're happy). I bought those long plastic planters, those Baba brands you find in garden nurseries with stoppered holes at the side and bottom to put the newly bought bettas in. They can also hold like 6 gallons of water. The downside to it is that 1. you can't see them only from the top, 2. those things may be awkward if placed indoors. But my bettas and floating plants love them. Maybe you can give them another try then smile.gif

PS: Another thing i find weird, maybe if anyone care to explain this is that before this I used my filter, just one of those small Panasonic filter you install in the kitchen sink, definitely not RO water. The thing is for my well filtered planted tanks, my fish and shrimps do fine in them but the bettas in unfiltered containers got quite lethargic. Whereas the betta I have upstairs are doing quite well with normal treated tap water. Maybe it's just coincidence? Maybe there's not much trace elements in the filtered water. Anyway, I've stopped using filtered water for all my tanks. Using the filtered water in the first place was just for my own peace of mind in case I forgot to add Prime.
So youre saying they prefer to be left alone?

NiniWahab
post Jan 16 2015, 03:28 PM

0 posts

Sniper: Not necessarily, some are sociable than others. One of mine comes to the surface and plays with my fingers every time I feed him. Another one is perfectly happy in the original 2 gallon container. By happy, I mean, he is thriving, active and not sick.
sniper on the roof
post Jan 16 2015, 03:32 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,399 posts

QUOTE(NiniWahab @ Jan 16 2015, 03:28 PM)
Sniper: Not necessarily, some are sociable than others. One of mine comes to the surface and plays with my fingers every time I feed him. Another one is perfectly happy in the original 2 gallon container. By happy, I mean, he is thriving, active and not sick.
Mine was like lethargic like hell in during the first couple days.

Now when I feed him dried bloodworm, the fella will jump to grab it.

I'm asking cos not sure if I should interact with him so much or not.
NiniWahab
post Jan 16 2015, 05:17 PM

0 posts

They do love their bloodworms smile.gif Bettas are quite intelligent. It's good that you interact with yours. He'll soon be following your movement the moment you enter the room. Another good reason to put floating plant in your tank is to discourage the betta from jumping out of the tank. They can jump. Mine aren't good jumpers (so far) so I don't have to put a lid on the containers smile.gif
excape25
post Jan 22 2015, 06:10 PM

25 posts

guys, usually cost how much for a green neon tetra now? My LFS can order for me but cost RM3 per tail. little off topic though, just want to know the rate biggrin.gif
potatocake
post Jan 23 2015, 01:31 PM

14 posts

Hi, could i get some help identifying these mosses from my friends aquarium? Theres actually 3 different types there.

Thanks heaps

This post has been edited by potatocake: Jan 23 2015, 01:32 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Ashraf Farid
post Jan 23 2015, 04:13 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

Pelia, subwassertang and riccia.

Might be wrong.
potatocake
post Jan 23 2015, 04:31 PM

14 posts

Thank you smile.gif
akilexis
post Jan 24 2015, 09:14 PM

42 posts

Hi, anyone here DIY their planted light using LED? where to buy color temp 10k LED here? can anyone suggest to me?
1NEFZ
post Jan 27 2015, 09:57 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

Hi all sifu. Wanna ask about lighting for 2ft 60cm with 120litre . which lighting should I go for ? Led ? T5 ? pL?II'm so confuse. Just started planted tank.
tzuen
post Jan 28 2015, 01:57 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(1NEFZ @ Jan 27 2015, 09:57 PM)
Hi all sifu. Wanna ask about lighting for 2ft 60cm with 120litre . which lighting should I go for ? Led ? T5 ? pL?II'm so confuse. Just started planted tank.
For better light penetration, go for T5. LED light is energy save and bright, but if you intend to grow some carpet plants like monte carlo better go for T5.
cecaunan
post Jan 29 2015, 03:04 PM

0 posts

Is there someone selling T5 bulbs only with 10-12k kelvin? I'm from melaka and still new to the area. thanks.
budakdegilz
post Jan 30 2015, 12:08 AM

Regular
1,133 posts

QUOTE(cecaunan @ Jan 29 2015, 03:04 PM)
Is there someone selling T5 bulbs only with 10-12k kelvin? I'm from melaka and still new to the area. thanks.
https://www.facebook.com/ikia.aquapet
ortoklas7
post Jan 30 2015, 11:24 AM

28 posts

Wtb 6ft used aquarium.. where can i buy ?used aq.. 6ft above..
choen
post Feb 1 2015, 09:35 PM

Getting Started
93 posts

Did Fish Paradise move to somewhere else or did it permanently close down?

I used to get unusual echinodorus plants from them and I am looking for such plants again.
Ashraf Farid
post Feb 4 2015, 05:28 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

Visited lentang yesterday - I'm sure most people already know where what is, if they've ever been on the KL-Karak Highway.

Anyways, the rocks in the stream there are covered in fissiden. Fissidens is pretty much unmistakable.

Not just that, but lots of moss growing underwater as well.

If anyone wants to grow some fissiden, don't bother with LFS or tho se 1 inch by 1 inch metal meshes. Just get yo buns over to a stream, bring some bags, and a scraper biggrin.gif
Relentless
post Feb 8 2015, 03:01 PM

44 posts

hi guys,do you know where i can get febendazole tablets?
thanks
fookie
post Feb 9 2015, 11:01 PM

On my way
582 posts

Guys, i have a very small aquarium(Approx 20litres) which I have a few plants inside (Frankly, not growing at all after 1 2 months). I'm planning to get a basic or small CO2 system. Can somebody tell me what to buy and where can I buy the CO2 system?
kambeng02
post Feb 11 2015, 08:05 AM

8 posts

Hi Fookie,
Look here Co2 from Aquscape Paradise. For that small tank, and long term, this could be the cheaper set. The tank can be refilled.
fookie
post Feb 11 2015, 01:25 PM

On my way
582 posts

QUOTE(kambeng02 @ Feb 11 2015, 08:05 AM)
Hi Fookie,
Look here Co2 from Aquscape Paradise. For that small tank, and long term, this could be the cheaper set. The tank can be refilled.
Cool. Thanks bro. I'll check out that shop when I have the time. laugh.gif
Keruoac
post Feb 12 2015, 05:22 PM

0 posts

Who wang to adopt my upside down catfish? want to let go, they kind of uproot my pelia
Keruoac
post Feb 12 2015, 05:24 PM

0 posts

Lol, *want

Ps: 3 of it, those catfish
Keruoac
post Feb 12 2015, 05:27 PM

0 posts

Where is lentang by the way? I went to kemensah few days ago, i collected fissidens, Java, and peacock moss. They grow on log and small rocks. All healthy!
Ashraf Farid
post Feb 12 2015, 09:35 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

Just googled Kemensah. Pretty good looking place.

Lentang is situated in bentong, along the highway from kl to karak.
Ashraf Farid
post Feb 12 2015, 09:36 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

By the way, going back to mentakab for the holidays. A friend has asked me to catch him some betta imbellis pairs.

Anyone elese interested? RM10 per pair, and not brave enough to post the fish, so I can deliver it to within reasonable walking distance of an LRT station.
fookie
post Feb 12 2015, 09:56 PM

On my way
582 posts

Any idea how come theres foam in my tank? sad.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Ashraf Farid
post Feb 12 2015, 10:05 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

If you have bubblenesters like bettas and gouramis, it could be that.

Otherwise, probably a buildup of organic material combined with lack of water movement.

What size tank, what stocklist, how heavily planted is it, and most importantly, how often do you change the water, and how much?
fookie
post Feb 12 2015, 10:44 PM

On my way
582 posts

QUOTE(Ashraf Farid @ Feb 12 2015, 10:05 PM)
If you have bubblenesters like bettas and gouramis, it could be that.

Otherwise, probably a buildup of organic material combined with lack of water movement.

What size tank, what stocklist, how heavily planted is it, and most importantly, how often do you change the water, and how much?
Tank size - 20litres
Fishes - 2 small cory & 5 danios
Plants - only 1 plant at the moment
Waterchange - just done full waterchange last sunday.

Ashraf Farid
post Feb 12 2015, 10:49 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

I'd say your tank is at full bioload, which, combined with just 1 plant, means that you'll need a good water change regime.

Is the tank cycled?

You don't always do 100% water changes, right? How much do you normally change, and how frequently.

Also, does the tank have a filter?
fookie
post Feb 12 2015, 11:07 PM

On my way
582 posts

QUOTE(Ashraf Farid @ Feb 12 2015, 10:49 PM)
I'd say your tank is at full bioload, which, combined with just 1 plant, means that you'll need a good water change regime.

Is the tank cycled?

You don't always do 100% water changes, right? How much do you normally change, and how frequently.

Also, does the tank have a filter?
Umm. Bioload means? Overcrowded?

The fishes and plant has been there for about 4 months? I change my water approx every 2 weeks. Im starting to see these foams approx 1.5 months back.

I do have a small filter.
Ashraf Farid
post Feb 12 2015, 11:41 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

When I say tank bioload I'm referring to its capacity to hold fish and invertebrates.

A full bioload means the tank is at max capacity. The problem is that you've housed schooling fish in rather small groups, but thats besides the point.

Do you use dechlorinator when you cahnge the water?

I advise you to change 50% every week.

You can remove the foam with a fishnet, or scooping it up manually.

Wouldn't hurt to lower the water level - let the filter splash a bit. Creating disturbance on the water surface helps prevent foam formation.
fookie
post Feb 13 2015, 12:40 AM

On my way
582 posts

QUOTE(nanamizuki @ Feb 9 2015, 12:00 AM)
That's true. iPhone 5 doesn't support Digi's LTE band while 5S or above can. Pity us 5 user sad.gif
QUOTE(Ashraf Farid @ Feb 12 2015, 11:41 PM)
When I say tank bioload I'm referring to its capacity to hold fish and invertebrates.

A full bioload means the tank is at max capacity. The problem is that you've housed schooling fish in rather small groups, but thats besides the point.

Do you use dechlorinator when you cahnge the water?

I advise you to change 50% every week.

You can remove the foam with a fishnet, or scooping it up manually.

Wouldn't hurt to lower the water level - let the filter splash a bit. Creating disturbance on the water surface helps prevent foam formation.
Sigh, I think I need to change the tank to a bigger one. It's too god damn small to do anything with it.

Thanks for your advise by the way! smile.gif
Keruoac
post Feb 13 2015, 10:50 AM

0 posts

Small filter can be the cause.

Keruoac
post Feb 15 2015, 01:48 PM

0 posts

Where to buy BW growth? Been looking for it
Ashraf Farid
post Feb 17 2015, 07:53 AM

Getting Started
56 posts

QUOTE(fookie @ Feb 13 2015, 12:40 AM)
Sigh, I think I need to change the tank to a bigger one. It's too god damn small to do anything with it.

Thanks for your advise by the way! smile.gif
Also correct smile.gif Ala, 120liter tank baru rm100. And its SOOO much more versatile
ekestima
post Feb 17 2015, 09:02 AM

Enthusiast
924 posts

Hi, you all using chiller ? Wat's the water temperature of ur aquarium.
How's the electricity consumption ?
I'm keeping some shrimps (CRS, PRL)
Ashraf Farid
post Feb 19 2015, 01:22 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

QUOTE(ekestima @ Feb 17 2015, 09:02 AM)
Hi, you all using chiller ? Wat's the water temperature of ur aquarium.
How's the electricity consumption ?
I'm keeping some shrimps (CRS, PRL)
Not sure on the specifics, but if I had to run a chiller on my tanks I'd rather just air condition the whole room so I could feel cool too biggrin.gif

Explored another river today, found rockwalls covered in pelia biggrin.gif

Helped myself to some
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Keruoac
post Feb 19 2015, 02:27 PM

0 posts

Those are nice pelia! Where did you collected those?
Ashraf Farid
post Feb 19 2015, 02:31 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

Kuala lipis

As always, only collected a bit of what was growing. We gotta keep our hobby sustianable biggrin.gif
Keruoac
post Feb 22 2015, 06:32 PM

0 posts

Just want to share my fts. Noob tank

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Ransu
post Feb 23 2015, 06:03 PM

32 posts

I'm planning to start a planted tank and I need a aquarium... Anyone selling nearby Sunway that can do delivery to me, kindly PM me. Looking for size 2ft x 1ft x 1ft or similar.. Thanks. biggrin.gif
kb2005
post Feb 27 2015, 02:35 PM

Yahoo!
All Stars
16,942 posts

Anyone from Penang willing to give away some moss ? or sell it cheap to me. biggrin.gif By the way, is co2 injection necessary for aquarium plant ? What is the light that we normally use for aquarium plant ? any recommendation ?
Ashraf Farid
post Feb 27 2015, 08:52 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

Bro, a quick google search will get you what you need.
budakdegilz
post Feb 27 2015, 09:20 PM

Regular
1,133 posts

QUOTE(kb2005 @ Feb 27 2015, 02:35 PM)
Anyone from Penang willing to give away some moss ? or sell it cheap to me. biggrin.gif By the way, is co2 injection necessary for aquarium plant ? What is the light that we normally use for aquarium plant ? any recommendation ?
CO2...
depend on what plant do you want to grow
it also use to accelerate the plant growth (plus fertilizer)
especially among aquascaper enthusiast who like to compete in yearly competition
so it's an open debate wherether it's a necessary or not
depend on your personal preference

for light...
even T8 are good enough if you got shallow tank
but normally many ppl use T5 because it penetrate more light into the tank
and easy to purchase at any LFS
and again depend on our setup and what plant to wish to grow

aH wAi
post Mar 1 2015, 11:05 PM

roar! who care?
833 posts

for those who want start this hobby, you might need to do a research on the type of plants and view that you want to try... and for beginner, maybe just start off with moss first, as most of the nice plants need either enough co2 to keep them alive, or cooling temperature, or worth, both...
if you really think of play with carpet plant, maybe try monte carlo, quite easy to grow as long as your light bright and co2 is good enough
danny_sp15
post Mar 3 2015, 12:59 AM

==============
2,789 posts

user posted image
bro, what is that bulat bulat thing? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by danny_sp15: Mar 3 2015, 01:13 AM
sniper on the roof
post Mar 3 2015, 01:43 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,399 posts

QUOTE(danny_sp15 @ Mar 3 2015, 12:59 AM)
bro, what is that bulat bulat thing? laugh.gif
Some japanese water purification.. actually its just baked zeolite. Useless wan.... took down that tank liao.

The betta died sad.gif
danny_sp15
post Mar 3 2015, 01:49 AM

==============
2,789 posts

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ Mar 3 2015, 01:43 AM)
Some japanese water purification.. actually its just baked zeolite. Useless wan.... took down that tank liao.

The betta died sad.gif
Ehhh. Just about 1 month plus. It looks fine in the pic. Sorry to hear that. sweat.gif
sun1989
post Mar 3 2015, 08:14 PM

23 posts

Attached Image

Attached Image

any idea how to prevent this thing from happening ? fighting with these green algae stuff for few months but still cant get rid of it.

the aquarium is located at outside of the house. got a bit sun shine during the day but i had tried to cover it with woods and clothings to prevent this from happening but it seems didnt work out that well... Im currently using FILTRO 2.0 filter that LFS claim 100% to remove algae, all in one solution.......... icon_question.gif

doh.gif
richgrohl
post Mar 3 2015, 08:33 PM

7 posts

Hi guys, I'm planning to build a nano water plant tank for my computer desk at home, probably around 5-10g.
I recently saw some cool nano tanks from a pet shop near to where I take my dog for behavioral class and was motivated to build one.
I just like to ask since I've only been in Malaysia for 3 years if you guys could recommend some pet shops that sells a wide variety of water plants, FW fishes, tanks, and other supplies.
Because as convenient as online buying is, I prefer to go to the stores myself so I can enjoy browsing through all the amazing fishes and plants. I live in Cyberjaya which is in Selangor so if you could recommend sellers or pet shops near my area I would really appreciate it.
Also after reading articles about this hobby I decided on getting slow growing plants. Can you guys give me some suggestions for slow growing water plants that would be best for a nano tanks. TIA
aH wAi
post Mar 3 2015, 10:21 PM

roar! who care?
833 posts

QUOTE(sun1989 @ Mar 3 2015, 08:14 PM)
Attached Image

Attached Image

any idea how to prevent this thing from happening ? fighting with these green algae stuff for few months but still cant get rid of it.

the aquarium is located at outside of the house. got a bit sun shine during the day but i had tried to cover it with woods and clothings to prevent this from happening but it seems didnt work out that well... Im currently using FILTRO 2.0 filter that LFS claim 100% to remove algae, all in one solution..........  icon_question.gif

doh.gif
too much of sun... laugh.gif not really sure how to deal with it as i dont have such issue before, maybe you need to change water more frequent and better filter system?
DiVaio
post Mar 4 2015, 12:13 AM

30 posts

Hi all sifus~~~

This is my 1st post of tank, the tank is about 90 Days old, the HC is growing too slow, i was thinking to insert root fert to boost the growth of HC.
Any advice?

Current Dosing
JBL Ferropol - 10ml weekly
DIY NPK - 5ml daily
Seachem Iron - 5ml weekly

Attached Image

This post has been edited by DiVaio: Mar 4 2015, 01:35 AM
budakdegilz
post Mar 4 2015, 02:09 AM

Regular
1,133 posts

QUOTE(sun1989 @ Mar 3 2015, 08:14 PM)

the aquarium is located at outside of the house. got a bit sun shine during the day but i had tried to cover it with woods and clothings to prevent this from happening but it seems didnt work out that well... Im currently using FILTRO 2.0 filter that LFS claim 100% to remove algae, all in one solution..........  icon_question.gif

doh.gif
one of the reason why it's recommended to keep aquarium indoor
but you can also try using UV aquarium filter
found an articles that suggest several step can be taken to combat green water
do read it thumbup.gif
http://www.otocinclus.com/articles/greenwater.html
budakdegilz
post Mar 4 2015, 02:19 AM

Regular
1,133 posts

QUOTE(DiVaio @ Mar 4 2015, 12:13 AM)
Hi all sifus~~~

This is my 1st post of tank, the tank is about 90 Days old, the HC is growing too slow, i was thinking to insert root fert to boost the growth of HC.
Any advice?

Current Dosing
JBL Ferropol - 10ml weekly
DIY NPK - 5ml daily
Seachem Iron - 5ml weekly

have you try using much more intense lighting??
from the picture seem like they didn't get enough lighting

and what kind of substrate are you using???
if substrate that specially made for planted tank...
i doubt you need to add root fert just after 90 days of setup
DiVaio
post Mar 4 2015, 10:19 AM

30 posts

QUOTE(budakdegilz @ Mar 4 2015, 02:19 AM)
have you try using much more intense lighting??
from the picture seem like they didn't get enough lighting

and what kind of substrate are you using???
if substrate that specially made for planted tank...
i doubt you need to add root fert just after 90 days of setup
Im using Wavepoint 30W 8000k Daylight LED, it should be enough just that i took this picture in daytime with very strong reflection.
Once thinking to use T5HO, but the temperature might be an issue, now using LED with 24/7 fan, the temp stable around 26-27.
Im using ADA Amazonia.

jctasoga
post Mar 4 2015, 10:58 AM

Getting Started
179 posts

divaio :

is ur tank 2ft?

how far is the light away from the water surface? usually it should be about 5-6" away for maximum light penetration.
DiVaio
post Mar 4 2015, 01:53 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(jctasoga @ Mar 4 2015, 10:58 AM)
divaio :

is ur tank 2ft?

how far is the light away from the water surface? usually it should be about 5-6" away for maximum light penetration.
Hi bro
my tank is 3ft, the light is about 5" away from water surface.

jctasoga
post Mar 4 2015, 02:23 PM

Getting Started
179 posts

mine 4ft with 100w led floodlights..... too much light edi... growing bba.. haha
i am waiting for a few parts to change them down to 2 x 20w led because nowadays growing anubias / ferns only. no big demand plants...

i would think that yours should be a bit on the lower end. any chance to add on some cfl to boost the light? maybe can put a 20w cfl at one end to see the effect...
danny_sp15
post Mar 4 2015, 11:09 PM

==============
2,789 posts

Hi guys smile.gif

Im planning to set up a low tech small planted tank (1ft+). Want to add some driftwood or stones inside.

Just wondering, is it safe to use the stones n wood found by the riverside? Do I need to boil the stones as well?

Thanks! notworthy.gif
junsheng
post Mar 5 2015, 01:21 AM

---> pokemon ftw <---
1,243 posts

QUOTE(DiVaio @ Mar 4 2015, 10:19 AM)
Im using Wavepoint 30W 8000k Daylight LED, it should be enough just that i took this picture in daytime with very strong reflection.
Once thinking to use T5HO, but the temperature might be an issue, now using LED with 24/7 fan, the temp stable around 26-27.
Im using ADA Amazonia.
i'm also using same wave point,
HC is not very light demanding, but u need 2 make sure ur CO2 is strong for it
Olibur
post Mar 5 2015, 01:23 AM

Getting Started
101 posts

did anyone make a planted aquarium for tortoises/alligator snapping turtle?
junsheng
post Mar 5 2015, 01:44 AM

---> pokemon ftw <---
1,243 posts

QUOTE(Ashraf Farid @ Jan 14 2015, 02:51 PM)

where u get ur siamese algae eater, i'm looking 4 it
my 1 grow big ady, n the shop i went last time bankrupt liao sad.gif sad.gif
budakdegilz
post Mar 5 2015, 02:42 AM

Regular
1,133 posts

QUOTE(danny_sp15 @ Mar 4 2015, 11:09 PM)
Hi guys smile.gif

Im planning to set up a low tech small planted tank (1ft+). Want to add some driftwood or stones inside.

Just wondering, is it safe to use the stones n wood found by the riverside? Do I need to boil the stones as well?

Thanks! notworthy.gif
planted tank only??or
you plan to put any livestock(fish,shrimp,snail etc) inside??
for wood normally people boil it to get rid off the tannins and
for rock it doesn't need to be boil BUT
it might change your water PH(alkaline or acidic) which is depend
on what kind of livestock you plan to put inside the tank

This post has been edited by budakdegilz: Mar 5 2015, 02:43 AM
danny_sp15
post Mar 5 2015, 05:21 AM

==============
2,789 posts

QUOTE(budakdegilz @ Mar 5 2015, 02:42 AM)
planted tank only??or
you plan to put any livestock(fish,shrimp,snail etc) inside??
for wood normally people boil it to get rid off the tannins and
for rock it doesn't need to be boil BUT
it might change your water PH(alkaline or acidic) which is depend
on what kind of livestock you plan to put inside the tank
The livestock would just be guppies, perhaps an algae eater/otto in the future. smile.gif

Rock im probably gonna get the ADA ryu stones. Just that this weekend gonna go to a waterfall, perhaps can find some nice ones as well. If the rock has algae/moss on it, would it be sufficient to just scrub them off with a sponge? or need to soak in something?
budakdegilz
post Mar 5 2015, 08:05 AM

Regular
1,133 posts

QUOTE(danny_sp15 @ Mar 5 2015, 05:21 AM)
The livestock would just be guppies, perhaps an algae eater/otto in the future. smile.gif

Rock im probably gonna get the ADA ryu stones. Just that this weekend gonna go to a waterfall, perhaps can find some nice ones as well. If the rock has algae/moss on it, would it be sufficient to just scrub them off with a sponge? or need to soak in something?
some people do suggest that you can kill the algae/moss by soaking it in chlorine mix water OR
you can also just let it dry under hot sunny day for couple of days OR
you can baked them in the oven
and i'm not sure which are more effective because i personally never tried it

fall3n
post Mar 5 2015, 01:45 PM

19 posts

Hi sifus, I just started a planted tank couple weeks ago but the water remains yellow till now. I have removed all the fishes and driftwood and changing water every couple of days but the water still yellow. Any idea? sad.gif
sniper on the roof
post Mar 5 2015, 02:00 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,399 posts

QUOTE(fall3n @ Mar 5 2015, 01:45 PM)
Hi sifus, I just started a planted tank couple weeks ago but the water remains yellow till now. I have removed all the fishes and driftwood and changing water every couple of days but the water still yellow. Any idea? sad.gif
Yellow's probably the tannin from the driftwood.

You can try repeatedly soaking and boiling the driftwood until the tanin's removed.
jctasoga
post Mar 5 2015, 02:43 PM

Getting Started
179 posts

fall3n: i am with sniper on his thinking. yellowing of water is likely the tannin... it will take a few weeks to months depending on the wood size. my 2 pcs of medium size wood took 2 months to clear. fishes doesn't seem bothered with it. if its already in the tank, leave it as it is an keep your water change schedule once a week until its cleared.

unless ur fishes are showing signs of sickness, i wouldn't do anything more to the naturally occurring things.

danny: you need to know why we clean or soak the rocks in the first place. cleaning is to get rid of any foreign items that may pollute your tank.
soaking is to determine if the rock is suitable underwater. some rocks reacts to bleach. this means the rock will make your water with high GH/KH (very hard water) which is not so good for some plants/fishes. personally, my java ferns are growing better after i took out some rocks which are making water very hard (and throwing off my ph reading). with hard water, the leaves are smaller as i observed. i could be wrong because i did a few other things like light change to led etc.

hope above helps. cheers.
fall3n
post Mar 5 2015, 02:55 PM

19 posts

Alright, I removed the driftwood already anyway. Fish no sign of sickness but I almost killed all my cherry shrimps once when I tried to add a new plant into the tank. Not knowing why they keep twitching I removed all of them attempt to save them. Manage to save most of them though. Then I let my tank running with only plants for about a week now.

Now that I think back, when i add the new plant, some cloudy stuff came out from the substrate, could be the reason why the shrimps acting up.
jctasoga
post Mar 5 2015, 03:48 PM

Getting Started
179 posts

cloudy stuff the beneficial bacteria in your substrate. it is normal when you disturb the substrate. your cheery shrimps are very sensitive to its conditions. try not to disturb the substrate or your tank smile.gif

before you add new plants, make sure its free from pesticides or chlorine water. add anti chlorine and soak for a few hours to overnight best. make sure its washed nicely to remove any pests and also danger when you buy from the LFS.
fall3n
post Mar 5 2015, 04:04 PM

19 posts

Thanks for the advice!! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by fall3n: Mar 5 2015, 04:05 PM
fall3n
post Mar 5 2015, 04:04 PM

19 posts

Thanks for the advice!! biggrin.gif
jctasoga
post Mar 5 2015, 05:05 PM

Getting Started
179 posts

no worries. but just to let you know the cherry shrimps comments are based on wat i read on the net. i kept mostly hardy fishes like angelfish and swordtails and probably some ghost shrimps.

happy aqua scaping.
DiVaio
post Mar 5 2015, 05:46 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(jctasoga @ Mar 4 2015, 02:23 PM)
mine 4ft with 100w led floodlights..... too much light edi... growing bba.. haha
i am waiting for a few parts to change them down to 2 x 20w led because nowadays growing anubias / ferns only. no big demand plants...

i would think that yours should be a bit on the lower end. any chance to add on some cfl to boost the light? maybe can put a 20w cfl at one end to see the effect...
Thanks, i may try to get a CFL light from my fren to test it out.

DiVaio
post Mar 5 2015, 05:49 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(junsheng @ Mar 5 2015, 01:21 AM)
i'm also using same wave point,
HC is not very light demanding, but u need 2 make sure ur CO2 is strong for it
Bro, mind to share ur tank photo?
For Co2, currently running at 3bps.
danny_sp15
post Mar 5 2015, 11:17 PM

==============
2,789 posts

QUOTE(budakdegilz @ Mar 5 2015, 08:05 AM)
some people do suggest that you can kill the algae/moss by soaking it in chlorine mix water OR
you can also just let it dry under hot sunny day for couple of days OR
you can baked them in the oven
and i'm not sure which are more effective because i personally never tried it
Maybe I'll try to get a few rocks and try different method each just to experiment tongue.gif My oven hasnt been used for a while laugh.gif

QUOTE(jctasoga @ Mar 5 2015, 02:43 PM)
fall3n: i am with sniper on his thinking. yellowing of water is likely the tannin... it will take a few weeks to months depending on the wood size. my 2 pcs of medium size wood took 2 months to clear. fishes doesn't seem bothered with it. if its already in the tank, leave it as it is an keep your water change schedule once a week until its cleared.

unless ur fishes are showing signs of sickness, i wouldn't do anything more to the naturally occurring things.

danny: you need to know why we clean or soak the rocks in the first place. cleaning is to get rid of any foreign items that may pollute your tank.
soaking is to determine if the rock is suitable underwater. some rocks reacts to bleach. this means the rock will make your water with high GH/KH (very hard water) which is not so good for some plants/fishes. personally, my java ferns are growing better after i took out some rocks which are making water very hard (and throwing off my ph reading). with hard water, the leaves are smaller as i observed. i could be wrong because i did a few other things like light change to led etc.

hope above helps. cheers.
Im wondering if using amazonia soil would offset the pH changes by the rocks. hmm.gif

By the way, would it be possible to plant a carpet plant without CO2? E.g. Marsilea, Micranthemum, Glosso.

This post has been edited by danny_sp15: Mar 6 2015, 12:03 AM
tehoice
post Mar 6 2015, 01:06 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,273 posts

QUOTE(danny_sp15 @ Mar 5 2015, 11:17 PM)
Maybe I'll try to get a few rocks and try different method each just to experiment tongue.gif My oven hasnt been used for a while laugh.gif
Im wondering if using amazonia soil would offset the pH changes by the rocks. hmm.gif

By the way, would it be possible to plant a carpet plant without CO2? E.g. Marsilea, Micranthemum, Glosso.
the other 2 plants i'm not so sure, but glosso, you need high lighting, as well as frequent water changing if you decide not to use co2. they will still grow upwards though.
jctasoga
post Mar 6 2015, 07:59 AM

Getting Started
179 posts

danny, my tank also has amazonia inside mixed with normal soil. so far no change of ph levels. the problem with some rocks that reacts to water that it will slowly increase your ph. thats the reason why some ppl drop a few drops of bleach to see if it sizzles. if it reacts/sizzles, then it will change your water ph in the long run (maybe a few days depends on the amount of rocks).

i found out my lfs has those light yellow gravel which i cover on top of amazonia that changed my water ph. at first i thought it was the rocks that i brought back from seaside. after doing the bleach test only i found the culprit.
danny_sp15
post Mar 6 2015, 09:40 PM

==============
2,789 posts

QUOTE(tehoice @ Mar 6 2015, 01:06 AM)
the other 2 plants i'm not so sure, but glosso, you need high lighting, as well as frequent water changing if you decide not to use co2. they will still grow upwards though.
hmm, probably gonna try hairgrass. now just need to find a shop that sells cheap curved tanks. pet shop at malls really overpriced. sweat.gif

QUOTE(jctasoga @ Mar 6 2015, 07:59 AM)
danny, my tank also has amazonia inside mixed with normal soil. so far no change of ph levels. the problem with some rocks that reacts to water that it will slowly increase your ph. thats the reason why some ppl drop a few drops of bleach to see if it sizzles. if it reacts/sizzles, then it will change your water ph in the long run (maybe a few days depends on the amount of rocks).

i found out my lfs has those light yellow gravel which i cover on top of amazonia that changed my water ph. at first i thought it was the rocks that i brought back from seaside. after doing the bleach test only i found the culprit.
well that was unexpected. unfortunately i dont have bleach or vinegar with me right now sweat.gif but i bought the rocks from aquarium shop, should be safe i guess? tomorrow i ask my gf bring some vinegar or bleach for me laugh.gif
tehoice
post Mar 7 2015, 12:20 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,273 posts

QUOTE(danny_sp15 @ Mar 6 2015, 09:40 PM)
hmm, probably gonna try hairgrass. now just need to find a shop that sells cheap curved tanks. pet shop at malls really overpriced. sweat.gif
well that was unexpected. unfortunately i dont have bleach or vinegar with me right now sweat.gif but i bought the rocks from aquarium shop, should be safe i guess? tomorrow i ask my gf bring some vinegar or bleach for me laugh.gif
if you wanna do planted tank, it's best not to get curved tank, just get the flat one, it will look nicer, speaking from experience.

just get the bleach from 99 speed mart, RM2 something only. don't assume the rocks you buy from aquarium are all safe for use. just bleach them then wash with running water will do. however, ryu stone should be fine.
danny_sp15
post Mar 7 2015, 01:06 AM

==============
2,789 posts

QUOTE(tehoice @ Mar 7 2015, 12:20 AM)
if you wanna do planted tank, it's best not to get curved tank, just get the flat one, it will look nicer, speaking from experience.

just get the bleach from 99 speed mart, RM2 something only. don't assume the rocks you buy from aquarium are all safe for use. just bleach them then wash with running water will do. however, ryu stone should be fine.
you're right. flat tanks look better. especially the ADA ones drool.gif but gila pricey. gonna scout around, aiming for 40cm.

thinking of doing low-tech iwagumi with hairgrass / micranthemum monte carlo. due to no CO2, i guess the dry start method should be better. do i need root tabs or fertilizer for hairgrass / micranthemum? hmm.gif
jctasoga
post Mar 7 2015, 08:44 AM

Getting Started
179 posts

if your amazonia is less than 6 months old, no ferts required. usually after 6 mths only it will used up most of it nutrients. this is based on my own findings when i first started. smile.gif

this is general guideline, it will also depend on the plants and amount of soil you have put in.
danny_sp15
post Mar 7 2015, 11:22 AM

==============
2,789 posts

QUOTE(jctasoga @ Mar 7 2015, 08:44 AM)
if your amazonia is less than 6 months old, no ferts required. usually after 6 mths only it will used up most of it nutrients. this is based on my own findings when i first started. smile.gif

this is general guideline, it will also depend on the plants and amount of soil you have put in.
Thanks for the tips biggrin.gif will update u guys once the tank is in progress biggrin.gif
excape25
post Mar 7 2015, 05:58 PM

25 posts

Guys, plan to upgrade this on my 1.5 ft tank. Do this kind of lights works great with planted tank?
Now only using t5 15wx2 on my tank.

Attached Image

Metal halide lamp

Attached Image

This post has been edited by excape25: Mar 7 2015, 06:00 PM
LuQEE
post Mar 7 2015, 08:09 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

QUOTE(excape25 @ Mar 7 2015, 05:58 PM)
Guys, plan to upgrade this on my 1.5 ft tank. Do this kind of lights works great with planted tank?
Now only using t5 15wx2 on my tank.

Attached Image

Metal halide lamp

Attached Image
isnt metal halide for a 1.5ft abit overmuch? sweat.gif
talk about algae growth booster + overheating syndrome

excape25
post Mar 7 2015, 11:44 PM

25 posts

QUOTE(LuQEE @ Mar 7 2015, 08:09 PM)
isnt metal halide for a 1.5ft abit overmuch? sweat.gif
talk about algae growth booster + overheating syndrome

TBH, I'm also not sure though. tongue.gif

70w will be too much? blink.gif
tehoice
post Mar 8 2015, 01:08 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,273 posts

QUOTE(danny_sp15 @ Mar 7 2015, 01:06 AM)
you're right. flat tanks look better. especially the ADA ones drool.gif but gila pricey. gonna scout around, aiming for 40cm.

thinking of doing low-tech iwagumi with hairgrass / micranthemum monte carlo. due to no CO2, i guess the dry start method should be better. do i need root tabs or fertilizer for hairgrass / micranthemum? hmm.gif
just get the new amazonia, you can but in loose pack. no need root tabs, but it's good to have. but i think you can make do without it.

QUOTE(excape25 @ Mar 7 2015, 11:44 PM)

70w will be too much?  blink.gif
definitely too much, later your plant also get melted.
choen
post Mar 8 2015, 02:59 AM

Getting Started
93 posts

QUOTE(richgrohl @ Mar 3 2015, 08:33 PM)
Hi guys, I'm planning to build a nano water plant tank for my computer desk at home, probably around 5-10g.
I recently saw some cool nano tanks from a pet shop near to where I take my dog for behavioral class and was motivated to build one.
I just like to ask since I've only been in Malaysia for 3 years if you guys could recommend some pet shops that sells a wide variety of water plants, FW fishes, tanks, and other supplies.
Because as convenient as online buying is, I prefer to go to the stores myself so I can enjoy browsing through all the amazing fishes and plants. I live in Cyberjaya which is in Selangor so if you could recommend sellers or pet shops near my area I would really appreciate it.
Also after reading articles about this hobby I decided on getting slow growing plants. Can you guys give me some suggestions for slow growing water plants that would be best for a nano tanks. TIA
Try Natural Aquarium in SS19 Subang Jaya for plants. They used to carry a very comprehensive stock of plants, but less so these days- it seems that aquascaping is not so popular anymore. There is still an extensive selection of slower growing ferns and moss in their overgrown tanks. This shop also carries a huge variety of rocks and driftwood. Be careful not to gauge your eyes out when sorting through them on the shelves.

Aquascape Paradise is a relatively new shop in Section 13, Shah Alam. They carry a lot of plants and almost no fishes. The major problem with this shop is that staff don't seem to know their own stock. Many plants have melted away in their tanks, and they have sold me wrong plants a few times because their labels don't match what's being displayed.

If you like to look at fishes, make a trip to Aquatics International in Kampung Subang, near the Subang Airport. Look it up on google maps.
It's partly an ornamental fish farm and partly a biggest fish shop in town.

For a slightly smaller 'biggest' fish shop, try Xian Leng / Xian Long in Section 23 Shah Alam. Don't use google maps for this one- it still points to their old location. This shop usually have some common aquatic plants in stock.

By the way, all these shops can be reached from cyberjaya via a highway towards shah alam and subang jaya (ELITE?). The furthest one is Aquatics International, but it's worth a special trip.

Have fun!

This post has been edited by choen: Mar 8 2015, 03:05 AM
LuQEE
post Mar 8 2015, 08:15 AM

Getting Started
66 posts

QUOTE(excape25 @ Mar 7 2015, 11:44 PM)

70w will be too much?  blink.gif
usually its 55w for max or less, all about ure tank setup to be honest IMHO.
But with higher lighting, requires higher co2 output and adequate ferts plus acceptable cooling system.
If not, myriads of problems will arise(melting,bba,diatoms,gsa,fish discolouration due to heat, etc ,etc)

jctasoga
post Mar 8 2015, 10:24 AM

Getting Started
179 posts

luqee : i like ur statement. algae booster... whahaha... exactly wat i'm going through now...

although i'm on 2 x 50w led spotlight la.. mostly anubias / java and amazon swords...
Keruoac
post Mar 8 2015, 03:24 PM

0 posts

Hi sifus i have question to ask.

Is it okay if i use diy co2 for 2ft and daily dose seachem flourish excel 0.1ml?

As before, i got alot of bba growing everywhere when im using diy co2. Hard to maintain good co2 level.

Pls advice :-)
tehoice
post Mar 8 2015, 04:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,273 posts

QUOTE(Keruoac @ Mar 8 2015, 03:24 PM)

Is it okay if i use diy co2 for 2ft and daily dose seachem flourish excel 0.1ml?

As before, i got alot of bba growing everywhere when im using diy co2. Hard to maintain good co2 level. 

that's the down side of using diy c02. if you use those pressurise may not have so much of problem due to its consistent co2 supply.

0.1ml? might as well you don't put. too little la... 2ft tank, you can even dose 10ml every alternate days to kill the bba away. bba happens when there's not enough co2 presence, right?
tehoice
post Mar 8 2015, 04:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,273 posts

QUOTE(Keruoac @ Mar 8 2015, 03:24 PM)

that's the down side of using diy c02. if you use those pressurise may not have so much of problem due to its consistent co2 supply.

0.1ml? might as well you don't put. too little la... 2ft tank, you can even dose 10ml every alternate days to kill the bba away. bba happens when there's not enough co2 presence, right?
excape25
post Mar 8 2015, 06:28 PM

25 posts

QUOTE(LuQEE @ Mar 8 2015, 08:15 AM)
usually its 55w for max or less, all about ure tank setup to be honest IMHO.
But with higher lighting, requires higher co2 output and adequate ferts plus acceptable cooling system.
If not, myriads of problems will arise(melting,bba,diatoms,gsa,fish discolouration due to heat, etc ,etc)

That stuff can be lift off 20cm above tank also will cause that much problem? hmm.gif
I did see lot's people using double 36w pll on 2 feet tank
LuQEE
post Mar 9 2015, 02:05 AM

Getting Started
66 posts

QUOTE(jctasoga @ Mar 8 2015, 10:24 AM)
luqee : i like ur statement. algae booster... whahaha... exactly wat i'm going through now...

although i'm on 2 x 50w led spotlight la.. mostly anubias / java and amazon swords...
LED different story bro hikhik.

QUOTE(excape25 @ Mar 8 2015, 06:28 PM)
That stuff can be lift off 20cm above tank also will cause that much problem?  hmm.gif
I did see lot's people using double 36w pll on 2 feet tank
my recommendation, instead of PLL, get the friendly CFL bulb type ligthing if you cant afford LED.
They dont need ballast, and if the bulb goes kaput, its easy to find, easy to install and cheap.
PLL produce more heat, not only will your tank inhabitant will suffer, but your ballast too. Ask PLL lighting users,
have they suffered at least one overheated ballast or not. tongue.gif
And usually Metal Hallide people use for bigger setup, maybe 3ft ++ IMHO.
I may be wrong though.

jctasoga
post Mar 9 2015, 09:16 AM

Getting Started
179 posts

well said luqee. cfl most convenient. just replace and go. no need to bother about the ballast etc.

i wanted to do it but my led housing will all go to waste.

so instead, i am now waiting to go 20w red blue led grow light from 50W 6500k white. waiting for the driver to come in.. hehe...
fall3n
post Mar 9 2015, 11:03 AM

19 posts

Hey guys,

I have a clip on lamp bought from LFS that says 15W that has been on my small sized nano tank. Is it enough? cause I see my monte carlo turning brown and dying :/
Keruoac
post Mar 9 2015, 11:35 AM

0 posts

Im currently using 2 cfl for my low tech tank. So far so good.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
fall3n
post Mar 9 2015, 01:06 PM

19 posts

user posted image
Its this. not sure if enough

This post has been edited by fall3n: Mar 9 2015, 01:06 PM
brewoe_1988
post Mar 9 2015, 06:37 PM

Getting Started
171 posts

anyone know where can get cheap aquarium..mine got scratches d...
danny_sp15
post Mar 9 2015, 10:18 PM

==============
2,789 posts

QUOTE(fall3n @ Mar 9 2015, 01:06 PM)
user posted image
Its this. not sure if enough
Bro, wanna ask, are u using CO2? Cos i cant see from the pic laugh.gif
fall3n
post Mar 10 2015, 10:27 AM

19 posts

No sad.gif I'm just dosing excel. Then I found out the lamp is 13W not 15W. Probably not enough light. Now then I found out that I should do EI dosing as well.
excape25
post Mar 10 2015, 03:25 PM

25 posts

QUOTE(LuQEE @ Mar 9 2015, 02:05 AM)
LED different story bro hikhik.
my recommendation, instead of PLL, get the friendly CFL bulb type ligthing if you cant afford LED.
They dont need ballast, and if the bulb goes kaput, its easy to find, easy to install and cheap.
PLL produce more heat, not only will your tank inhabitant will suffer, but your ballast too. Ask PLL lighting users,
have they suffered at least one overheated ballast or not. tongue.gif
And usually Metal Hallide people use for bigger setup, maybe 3ft ++ IMHO.
I may be wrong though. 

hmm...CFL seems promising, at least i can change the fixture with the same lighting reflector. Does those reptile lighting reflector lamp works great on planted tank? or just a regular lighting reflector will do?
danny_sp15
post Mar 10 2015, 07:04 PM

==============
2,789 posts

QUOTE(fall3n @ Mar 10 2015, 10:27 AM)
No sad.gif I'm just dosing excel.  Then I found out the lamp is 13W not 15W. Probably not enough light. Now then I found out that I should do EI dosing as well.
I thought monte carlo needs CO2. Cos i've been planning a low-tech aquarium and wanna get monte carlo, but the info i gathered so far tells me monte carlo gonna need co2. sad.gif
fall3n
post Mar 11 2015, 12:23 AM

19 posts

Well I found the info from here saying monte carlo could grow without co2 but will need liquid carbon. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=644058
aimank_88
post Mar 11 2015, 07:25 AM

Casual
383 posts

QUOTE(fall3n @ Mar 10 2015, 10:27 AM)
No sad.gif I'm just dosing excel.  Then I found out the lamp is 13W not 15W. Probably not enough light. Now then I found out that I should do EI dosing as well.
QUOTE(danny_sp15 @ Mar 10 2015, 07:04 PM)
I thought monte carlo needs CO2. Cos i've been planning a low-tech aquarium and wanna get monte carlo, but the info i gathered so far tells me monte carlo gonna need co2. sad.gif
QUOTE(fall3n @ Mar 11 2015, 12:23 AM)
Well I found the info from here saying monte carlo could grow without co2 but will need liquid carbon. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=644058
Yea MC need co2. Liquid carbon will help, but it wont thrive as compared to using co2.
richgrohl
post Mar 11 2015, 11:52 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(choen @ Mar 8 2015, 02:59 AM)
Try Natural Aquarium in SS19 Subang Jaya for plants. They used to carry a very comprehensive stock of plants, but less so these days- it seems that aquascaping is not so popular anymore. There is still an extensive selection of slower growing ferns and moss in their overgrown tanks. This shop also carries a huge variety of rocks and driftwood. Be careful not to gauge your eyes out when sorting through them on the shelves.

Aquascape Paradise is a relatively new shop in Section 13, Shah Alam. They carry a lot of plants and almost no fishes. The major problem with this shop is that staff don't seem to know their own stock. Many plants have melted away in their tanks, and they have sold me wrong plants a few times because their labels don't match what's being displayed.

If you like to look at fishes, make a trip to Aquatics International in Kampung Subang, near the Subang Airport. Look it up on google maps.
It's partly an ornamental fish farm and partly a biggest fish shop in town.

For a slightly smaller 'biggest' fish shop, try Xian Leng / Xian Long in Section 23 Shah Alam. Don't use google maps for this one- it still points to their old location. This shop usually have some common aquatic plants in stock.

By the way, all these shops can be reached from cyberjaya via a highway towards shah alam and subang jaya (ELITE?). The furthest one is Aquatics International, but it's worth a special trip.

Have fun!
Awesome! Thanks, will try to visit all these shops.
tzuen
post Mar 11 2015, 12:01 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(richgrohl @ Mar 11 2015, 11:52 AM)
Awesome! Thanks, will try to visit all these shops.
Or you can try Fish Depot @ Aman Suria. You can make an order with the specific plants that you prefer and it's arrive every Wednesday evening.
LuQEE
post Mar 14 2015, 01:49 AM

Getting Started
66 posts

QUOTE(jctasoga @ Mar 9 2015, 09:16 AM)
i wanted to do it but my led housing will all go to waste.
so instead, i am now waiting to go 20w red blue led grow light from 50W 6500k white. waiting for the driver to come in.. hehe...
bro...next time ure diy ure LED do make some tutorials...
i still a newbie in LED even though they already common nowadays and cheap.

jctasoga
post Mar 14 2015, 08:16 AM

Getting Started
179 posts

bro luqee, i very shy type. i made the wrong mistake to mix 24v(growlight) and 36v (spotlight) leds.. hahahaha so end up got 2 units of 30w led which i'm thinking wat to do with it...

anyway, will update what happens next.

for now, my tank is fishes... only ghost shrimps to clear up the bba...taking a long long long time...
ayum_med
post Mar 15 2015, 12:44 AM

0 posts

Hi guys... It has been a while since i open this thread... Been busy with my work last year... Just wanna update my 3 footer aquascaping... Attached Image
ad3hybrid
post Mar 18 2015, 10:38 PM

3 posts

World's Largest Nature Aquarium

Who wants to volunteer to be a fish in this tank? tongue.gif
jctasoga
post Mar 19 2015, 11:34 AM

Getting Started
179 posts

me me me me me me
budakdegilz
post Mar 19 2015, 11:57 PM

Regular
1,133 posts

QUOTE(ad3hybrid @ Mar 18 2015, 10:38 PM)
World's Largest Nature Aquarium

Who wants to volunteer to be a fish in this tank? tongue.gif
fixed biggrin.gif
ad3hybrid
post Mar 20 2015, 08:06 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(budakdegilz @ Mar 19 2015, 11:57 PM)
fixed  biggrin.gif
oh, didn't realize it not working. Thank you! thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by ad3hybrid: Mar 20 2015, 08:06 PM
danny_sp15
post Mar 20 2015, 11:25 PM

==============
2,789 posts

Sold off my old tank.

Guppies back in pond.

Making list of things to buy for my first planted tank tongue.gif

Still undecided if I wanna go for an iwagumi look, or driftwood jungly look. rclxub.gif Either way, UG will probably be there. Anyone has experience growing UG in low tech tank?
doraemon9078
post Mar 24 2015, 02:54 PM

3 posts

new in planted aquarium.
feel free to give any comment.

user posted image
Ashraf Farid
post Mar 25 2015, 03:47 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

How come none of you aree using limnophila aromatica in your scapes?
aimank_88
post Mar 25 2015, 04:40 PM

Casual
383 posts

QUOTE(Ashraf Farid @ Mar 25 2015, 03:47 PM)
How come none of you aree using limnophila aromatica in your scapes?
Coz I havent got any from you yet? tongue.gif
danny_sp15
post Mar 25 2015, 07:50 PM

==============
2,789 posts

QUOTE(doraemon9078 @ Mar 24 2015, 02:54 PM)
new in planted aquarium.

user posted image
Im new too. tongue.gif

Just personal opinion, i think the plant on left and right (micranthemum?) should put a bit to the back. Not suitable as foreground unless it's short or forms a carpet. Let the hairgrass fill the front, and perhaps the micranthemum can creep a bit at the left and right. will look more spacious. thumbup.gif

if u dont mind me asking, may i know what kind of lighting do u use?
kimimaro_kun
post Mar 28 2015, 12:14 PM

I Am Whatever You Say I Am
669 posts

QUOTE(doraemon9078 @ Mar 24 2015, 02:54 PM)
new in planted aquarium.

user posted image
change your filter to HOB?
mclelun
post Mar 28 2015, 01:34 PM

On my way
662 posts

Attached Image

Nice planted tank, here's my noob tank.
I found that Pygmy Chain Sword, Echinodorus Tenellus (might be wrong name) is the best plant for a low tech tank without CO2, and without soil, just holland sand.

All easy plants like annubia, Java Fern, Java Moss will melt in my tank after a few months, but this plant just keep growing.
doraemon9078
post Mar 29 2015, 05:06 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(danny_sp15 @ Mar 25 2015, 07:50 PM)
Im new too. tongue.gif

Just personal opinion, i think the plant on left and right (micranthemum?) should put a bit to the back. Not suitable as foreground unless it's short or forms a carpet. Let the hairgrass fill the front, and perhaps the micranthemum can creep a bit at the left and right. will look more spacious. thumbup.gif

if u dont mind me asking, may i know what kind of lighting do u use?
Yes, it is micranthemum. the Hair grass seem like not growing.
i m using T5 light 2x

QUOTE(kimimaro_kun @ Mar 28 2015, 12:14 PM)
change your filter to HOB?
planning to. previously using HOB b4 plant.
fida5659
post Mar 30 2015, 09:38 AM

18 posts

hi guys, i just bought intense co2 regulator. i got problem whr its got leaking on rubber seal. this is 2 times i replacing this rubber seal. any solution for it
okboon15
post Mar 31 2015, 11:45 AM

37 posts

Setup my tank last year with great help from Weijie sifu.
Attached Image
Tank after 2 month.

Attached Image
Recent pic of tank.

Its kindda rojak now as sometime can't resists to add in or try new stuff sweat.gif

fotosintesis
post Mar 31 2015, 11:47 PM

So which of the favors of your Lord would you deny?
1,002 posts

Damn.. Last time, I'm having a good time with terrarium as a hobby

Bought aquarium last day, met this thread just now

Wish me luck!!!

Care to share any place?, as I'm looking for plant shop around n9
shecapricorn
post Apr 1 2015, 03:09 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

Sorry, but where can I purchase simple tanks (5 gallon will do)? And are plastic tanks better than glass? Plastic seems to be cheaper than glass though.
tzuen
post Apr 2 2015, 10:35 AM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(okboon15 @ Mar 31 2015, 11:45 AM)
Setup my tank last year with great help from Weijie sifu.
Attached Image
Tank after 2 month.

Attached Image
Recent pic of tank.

Its kindda rojak now as sometime can't resists to add in or try new stuff  sweat.gif
nice, clean and healthy plants. Can share the spec?
serdangonline
post Apr 2 2015, 12:57 PM

Getting Started
124 posts

QUOTE(fotosintesis @ Mar 31 2015, 11:47 PM)

Wish me luck!!!

N9 takdo kodai Spesifically for planted tank jang. Den pun negori gak n nak start planted again soon. If you find good planted tank at n9, inform me too. thanks.
fotosintesis
post Apr 2 2015, 04:50 PM

1,002 posts

QUOTE(serdangonline @ Apr 2 2015, 12:57 PM)
N9 takdo kodai Spesifically for planted tank jang. Den pun negori gak n nak start planted again soon. If you find good planted tank at n9, inform me too. thanks.
klu cyber.putrajaya ado ke tak? hmm.gif
aimank_88
post Apr 2 2015, 07:26 PM

Casual
383 posts

QUOTE(fotosintesis @ Apr 2 2015, 04:50 PM)
Equine park den tau ado..
serdangonline
post Apr 3 2015, 12:41 PM

Getting Started
124 posts

QUOTE(fotosintesis @ Apr 2 2015, 04:50 PM)
Putrajaya ado dulu jang. Sisaiko akua kalu tak silap. Nak setup tank brp kaki? brows.gif
serdangonline
post Apr 3 2015, 08:32 PM

Getting Started
124 posts

QUOTE(fotosintesis @ Mar 31 2015, 11:47 PM)

Wish me luck!!!

PM me your whatsapp no. Mana la tau bley shopping sama2 or nak kirim. tongue.gif

Going start eriocaulon tank soon. Need to buy few types.
fotosintesis
post Apr 3 2015, 08:40 PM

1,002 posts

QUOTE(serdangonline @ Apr 3 2015, 12:41 PM)
Putrajaya ado dulu jang. Sisaiko akua kalu tak silap. Nak setup tank brp kaki? brows.gif
QUOTE(serdangonline @ Apr 3 2015, 08:32 PM)
PM me your whatsapp no. Mana la tau bley shopping sama2 or nak kirim. tongue.gif

Going start eriocaulon tank soon. Need to buy few types.
Tank 2 kaki
Contamplate of having 2nd tank purely for breeding live plant/shrimp tank till then

But.. But I've just jump my ship with this hobby
Xd experience lagi la

Skang pun busy intern kat Akept enstek tu, ulang-alik
Newbs warning

Anyway, ugpm
LuQEE
post Apr 4 2015, 01:39 AM

Getting Started
66 posts

QUOTE(shecapricorn @ Apr 1 2015, 03:09 PM)
Sorry, but where can I purchase simple tanks (5 gallon will do)? And are plastic tanks better than glass? Plastic seems to be cheaper than glass though.
well, you can start with LFS who are specialize in aquascaping products and services.
TBH, last time i used normal guppy plastic tank as my tank, was cheap and easy to find but i realized in later stages,
you will have a hard time cleaning them thanks to GSA since you need to scrap them using razor blades sweat.gif

shecapricorn
post Apr 6 2015, 04:53 PM

Getting Started
67 posts

QUOTE(LuQEE @ Apr 4 2015, 01:39 AM)
well, you can start with LFS who are specialize in aquascaping products and services.
TBH, last time i used normal guppy plastic tank as my tank, was cheap and easy to find but i realized in later stages,
you will have a hard time cleaning them thanks to GSA since you need to scrap them using razor blades sweat.gif

Thank you for your reply. I'm noob here, what is LFS?
danny_sp15
post Apr 7 2015, 12:43 AM

==============
2,789 posts

QUOTE(shecapricorn @ Apr 6 2015, 04:53 PM)
Thank you for your reply. I'm noob here, what is LFS?
Local fish store. biggrin.gif
ayum_med
post Apr 7 2015, 09:31 AM

0 posts

Planted tank shop ada dekat n9... Aqua shop dekat garden homes, seremban 2.... Kedai tu siap jual saltwater tank and fishes... Kedai ni dah lama kat n9...
serdangonline
post Apr 7 2015, 12:44 PM

Getting Started
124 posts

QUOTE(ayum_med @ Apr 7 2015, 09:31 AM)
Planted tank shop ada dekat n9... Aqua shop dekat garden homes, seremban 2.... Kedai tu siap jual saltwater tank and fishes... Kedai ni dah lama kat n9...
Xian Long tu ke? kedai 2 tingkat kan?
ayum_med
post Apr 7 2015, 04:19 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(serdangonline @ Apr 7 2015, 12:44 PM)
Xian Long tu ke? kedai 2 tingkat kan?
Bukan... Aqua legend dekat belakang bsn garden homes seremban 2... Best aquascaping shop in n9...
serdangonline