Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Planted Aquarium V14

views

kizwan
post Jun 4 2015, 01:13 PM

BÖw DÖwn TÖ LÖrd PringlËs
822 posts

Hello,

I need help installing filters in my sump filter box. It have white & green mechanical filter and activated carbon filter. Which ones should go in first?

Attached Image
kizwan
post Jun 4 2015, 01:36 PM

822 posts

QUOTE(jctasoga @ Jun 4 2015, 01:31 PM)
hi kizwan, i will offer some help. the sump should have a few segments separated for the purpose of mech filter and bio filters.

the white and green mech filters are usually put at the water inlet at the sump. this where the raw water comes from the tank into the sump. all the dirt will be filtered here.

next segment should be the bio filters or the bio rings housing the beneficial bacterias.

as for the charcoal filter, i wouldn't bother putting it because its only beneficial for 2 weeks max then u need to remove it. furthermore its use is mainly more medical rather than helping filtration. if u r worried about water clarity, it can be achieved by regular water changes.

hope above helps.
Thanks. If I still want to use the charcoal filter, where should I put it? below or above the bio filters/rings housing (you're referring to the plastic plate with a lot of holes right?)?

I'm planning to use the charcoal filter for just two weeks & then remove it, leaving only the mechanical filters.

This post has been edited by kizwan: Jun 4 2015, 01:37 PM
kizwan
post Jun 4 2015, 01:57 PM

822 posts

Ok, I think found the answer. I read an advice to put the charcoal filter after the mechanical filter. Basically the white sponge filter go in first, then charcoal filter & finally the green sponge filter.
kizwan
post Jun 4 2015, 06:46 PM

822 posts

QUOTE(jctasoga @ Jun 4 2015, 04:57 PM)
hi kizwan, yes you are right. but just to make sure... you are using hanging sump (above tank) or sump below the tank?
I'm using hanging sump. Came with the pump. I also put white gravel in the tank today. Look a lot better & the fish in the aquarium seems to like it because before they just sit in the corner & less activity.

Planted aquarium seems cool though. I really need to study that. Do you know whether "ikan puyu" like planted aquarium?
kizwan
post Jun 5 2015, 03:46 PM

822 posts

I have the biorings at the bottom like you said & with the amount of water pumped up by the pump, the biorings always submerged.

Thank you for the tips. I will find some driftwoods and/or branches. I also need to create more bubbles in the water. Fish seems like it.

Regarding ikan puyu, there is a misconception among people that because the fish known to live & survived in the mud water, it also means that need to use mud water in the aquarium. It sound funny but it's true. If not because of me, my aunt will use mud water. tongue.gif Not because I'm an expert, newbie really but my thinking is how to enjoy looking at the fish if it lives in the mud water. biggrin.gif
kizwan
post Jun 8 2015, 02:35 PM

822 posts

Oh man! That can happen? Definitely better get UPS.
kizwan
post Jul 21 2019, 01:57 AM

822 posts

I want to do this in my 2 by 1 feet tank.

kizwan
post Jul 23 2019, 07:26 AM

822 posts

QUOTE(junsheng @ Jul 22 2019, 04:55 PM)
get low requirements plants as shown in the video
or u can use tis website too

https://tropica.com/en/plants/search/?mode=...&pgr=&ori=&use=
Thank you for your advice. I also got some help from local store that I frequently go to.
kizwan
post Jul 28 2019, 09:40 AM

822 posts

A couple of stuff arrived for my no filter, no CO2 project in 2x1 foot tank. Can you guys take a look? What else do I need to get? Also can any recommend suitable plant?

user posted image

This post has been edited by kizwan: Jul 28 2019, 09:41 AM
kizwan
post Jul 28 2019, 02:11 PM

822 posts

QUOTE(junsheng @ Jul 28 2019, 02:01 PM)
Ok, I will try my best to find them. Are they grow locally? At my house there is soil drainage that have water flow for 2 years until recently the water company fixed their pipe around a week or two ago. I can see some plants. Can I use them? Maybe I can take a picture & post it here. I just don't want to misidentified plant.
kizwan
post Aug 1 2019, 07:15 PM

822 posts

I have acquired one species of plant from drainage. Anyone know the name of this plant?

user posted image

This post has been edited by kizwan: Aug 1 2019, 07:16 PM
kizwan
post Aug 4 2019, 08:02 AM

822 posts

Did your aquarium exposed to direct sunlight?
kizwan
post Aug 5 2019, 02:34 PM

822 posts

My first attempt. Not really happy how it turn out. I have other plants that I ordered through local shop.

My lamp is pretty weak only 4w. Is it really important getting higher wattage lamp?

Please critique & point any mistake I made. For now I want to see whether the plant grow or die. If everything goes well, then I'll add shrimps & small fish.

user posted image
kizwan
post Aug 5 2019, 03:16 PM

822 posts

Another species of plants I found. Can anyone help me identify them? They live in the drainage which was always filled with water for two years until recently. I assume they're low requirement plants. I just want to know whether they're suitable for aquarium.

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by kizwan: Aug 5 2019, 03:17 PM
kizwan
post Aug 6 2019, 11:14 AM

822 posts

QUOTE(Clueless07 @ Aug 6 2019, 10:44 AM)
Bro, that is a 3' or 4' tank?
the light really does not look sufficient. If dont want to spend- perhaps get those IKEA study lamp to blast it?

https://www.ikea.com/sg/en/p/tertial-work-l...-grey-50355395/

user posted image
It is 2 x 1 ft tank. ~10 to ~15 gallons tank. Look big because plant too little. Thanks, I'm going to get better LED lamp from store today. The tutorial that I use as reference recommend 14W (max) lamp for 5 gallons tank. For ~10 to ~15 gallons tank, 14W should be ok right? Or should I just follow 2~3 watts per gallon rule? That would be approx. 20~30 watts lamp (~10 gallons). Also some guide suggest LED better but the tutorial use florescent lamp. Which should I follow? Or either one is fine?

This post has been edited by kizwan: Aug 6 2019, 11:17 AM
kizwan
post Aug 7 2019, 09:22 AM

822 posts

I can chime in on the pump. If the flow is adjustable then I think that pump is OK for small fish. I think 410l/h just a bit strong for small fish.
kizwan
post Aug 7 2019, 11:00 AM

822 posts

I think you meant "do more good than harm". ;p
kizwan
post Aug 16 2019, 08:20 AM

822 posts

QUOTE(junsheng @ Aug 16 2019, 05:13 AM)
2. wrong, strong current is good for CO2 distribution, but too much ripple or movement on the surface of water is bad as CO2 will escape at faster rate especially on higher water temperature,
still you will need some for oxygen exchange. As for the filter, this is a general misconception that HOB always gives lower current than canister, in fact it is the other way around

lets take an example the given rate of dophin cf300 is 410 liter/hour and you are using same flow rate of HOB which is 410 liter/hour too, in real life scenario canister flow rate will reduce cut half or even lesser
as canister is place on the ground where your aquarium is place on table, it take effort to pump the water up (defying gravity) so flow rate will reduce,
HOB however is place on the almost the same level as aquarium where flow rate is unlikely to be affected much,
which is why you will see, many will recommend at least 5x of the recommended flow rate when buying canister for planted tank

another advantage of using canister is you can redirect the flow direction using pipe, to create blind spot for you fish, refer to previous page for general idea from photos of my betta tank

Wow! That is dishonest manufacturer. No matter what type of pump+filter, if both rated at same flow rate then both should be able to deliver same flow rate provided you use the included tube, pipe, filter mediums & follow the guidelines in the manual (e.g. maximum distance/height between canister & aquarium). In real world it is normal to have small variances between two different type of pump+filter that are rated at same flow rate. Of course this is true if we are talking about honest manufacturers.

This post has been edited by kizwan: Aug 16 2019, 08:30 AM
kizwan
post Aug 17 2019, 01:32 PM

822 posts

QUOTE(junsheng @ Aug 16 2019, 03:57 PM)
just they didn't tell you up front, of the things like gravity, atmospheric... will affect the effectiveness of pump
I'm not well versed in fluid mechanic but if I'm not mistaken once fluid circulated fully in the loop, gravity won't be a problem. Don't forget fluid not only go up but down also. So everything is even out. If they sell only the pump, then the rated flow rate is the max it can handle. The final flow rate will be affected by other parts in the loop of course. If they sell complete system then the rated flow rate should mean what the system can do. So if the final flow rate is less like half than it should be it is either the rated flow rate is false or user didn't follow the manual when setting it up. For the former, it is dishonest imo.
kizwan
post Aug 18 2019, 09:36 PM

822 posts

Wild/feeder shrimp works too, eating algae.

11 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1099sec    1.04    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th October 2021 - 02:30 PM