7 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Planted Aquarium V14

views

usmanjailani
post Sep 9 2015, 02:44 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

Hi..is there any procedure in reusing used ADA amazonia soil?(already been used by other person for couple months). i planning on buying 3 x 9L of it and after a bit "research", some say i need to dry it, fert it again, and then can be put into setup..but some say, just let i damp..im not in the base setup phase yet as i only have used 2.5' tank (need to be clean from excess silicon glue and repaint black for the background) and used driftwood..

is there any precaution for the soil during the waiting period until base setup phase?

im planning on doing dry start method for the plants, DIY co2, DIY top hob filter.
usmanjailani
post Sep 11 2015, 08:16 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(jctasoga @ Sep 10 2015, 11:10 PM)
i would consider the soil as used up its beneficial value. so effectively you are buying dirt or normal soil.

what i would do is to keep the soil moist. as you are using DSM, the tank will be sealed up so moisture will not evaporate so quickly. occasionally you will still need to mist your tank to make it more moist.

once you start to flood ur tank, u will need to consider the fert regimes.

as for the used tank, if its kept dried under cool shade, its fine. but if its left outside rain n shine, please consider to redo the silicone glue on all panels. mine was kept outside for a few months until i used it. it was good for 1 year+ when suddenly it broke at the top part. water leaking everywhere!! just as a caution la...
Whoaaaaa...sound scary for the leaking part.. blink.gif

One more question..im planning to diy my filtration system..maybe using 3mm clear acrylic for top filter system, and 15mm pvc pipe (grey colour)..my concern is, is there any problem if i paint the piping (which will submerge underwater) with black spray paint and finished with clear coating?. I saw on the net, they recommending krylon fusion paint but i dont think it can be found in JB. hmm.gif hmm.gif
usmanjailani
post Sep 14 2015, 10:21 AM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(jctasoga @ Sep 12 2015, 04:12 PM)
diy filtration is good but u need to take into account easily avialable consumables such as the floss filter / ceramic rings etc that you wanna fit into your filter. usually tank top filter have this issue (space constraint) and also water level needed to be low else it will be too heavy for the tank to hold on the braces...

for any paint, its better to use liquid paint because its thick and can withstand brushing or scrubbing. spraying will be thin and if not done properly it will be easily chipped off during cleaning. i suggest to leave it as its natural colour (grey). if you scare to spoil your overall looks, can try and find acrylic pipes (i have only seen it in big shopping areas in kl area). i'm from bp johor. haha... so i can't really advise where to get these things. i can only give u some ideas.
icon_rolleyes.gif
hope above helps.
aiseh...forgot to think about the weight..hahaha..thanks for reminding.. notworthy.gif

acrylic piping is not a bad idea though..my only concern is the price actually..my main reason for doing DIY is to minimize cost for the whole system but just found out the acrylic is not that cheap too..especially when it need to be custom made..hahhaa.. laugh.gif laugh.gif
usmanjailani
post Sep 19 2015, 09:55 AM

Getting Started
174 posts

hi..question..im strating my 1st aquascape project, is ADA 5 elements is necessary to be used?.
usmanjailani
post Sep 19 2015, 10:05 AM

Getting Started
174 posts

another question...can anyone help me identify these plants?.is it submersible plants?. i pick it up around waterfall area..all located around 5cm from current water level..

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
usmanjailani
post Oct 7 2015, 10:10 AM

Getting Started
174 posts

need advice..my budget for filter is around RM100-RM150..but i got an offer from a friend for eheim 2217 filter for RM200..should i take it or bought new 1 that suit my budget(maybe jebo or sunsun)..is it totally worth it to topup my budget another RM50?.

tank size is 2.5'x1.5'x1.5'

unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif

btw..just finished my DIY cooling fan..only cost me rm12.40.. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Attached Image
usmanjailani
post Oct 7 2015, 02:28 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(jctasoga @ Oct 7 2015, 11:27 AM)
the 2217 will be overkill for your 2.5' tank. i am using the same for my 4ft tank.... having said that you could adjust the output flow at the twin connector.

if i were u, i would grab that rm200 eheim filter without second thought if the condition is good. please check the impeller - rm60? (the fan thingy inside the motor). and also prepare to buy seals and replace if leaking... set back another rm50-rm100

but it run more quiet and less power usage than others.
that is one of my concern..power pump with small tank..haih...i have 1 more month to wait next paycheck to confirm with him though..haha. thx for advice.. biggrin.gif
usmanjailani
post Oct 13 2015, 12:07 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

need some advice in wc..(my 1st WC)

how exactly to do wc?.water tap + anti chlorine?.or water aeration?.even with aeration, i dont have big enough bucket to keep water for my 2.5ft tank..

advice pls..thx..
usmanjailani
post Oct 21 2015, 11:30 AM

Getting Started
174 posts

another help needed..hehe..

surveying 4 LFS (only 2 open) around taman tun, jb..and i think i need some algae eater so my tank is under control.. laugh.gif

could you recommend any of this?.still searching for flying fox or SAE..but damn..those are hard to find..only manage to found CAE (aggressive but not an effective algae eater people says, i dunno)

i did want to try introduce shrimp for the problem, but is it easier to manage shrimp over fish?. hmm.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
usmanjailani
post Oct 22 2015, 09:02 AM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(kimimaro_kun @ Oct 21 2015, 05:59 PM)
all that are not algae eater. only suitable if you have sand in your tank, else they will die

since u from jb, why not u go to new oasis at tiram? they do have SAE, otto and yamato.
still surveying LFS near skudai..tiram is quite far when u travelling after office hour..must wait for weekends..but this weekend is full..must wait next weekend..thats why i pusing2 somewhere near first..

thanks for the clarification though.. rclxms.gif rclxms.gif

QUOTE(danny_sp15 @ Oct 21 2015, 10:26 PM)
why not otto?  biggrin.gif
no otto found near me..hahaha..if have sure take one.. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(jctasoga @ Oct 22 2015, 08:09 PM)
corydoras and loach inside the pics right?

yeah all are diggers...

plecos are not too shabby in cleaning as well... becoz my lfs only stock plecos... no otto or yamato T_T
not sure about the name..i have problem remembering name/species..hahha..even people name also forgot.. sweat.gif
usmanjailani
post Oct 23 2015, 02:02 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

hey..is local shrimp/river shrimp (shrimp for fish feeding) is algae controller?.
usmanjailani
post Oct 28 2015, 08:45 AM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(davido @ Oct 27 2015, 06:18 PM)
Marco Polo is low tech.

Anyway I have some time. Thought to upload some photos.

[attachmentid=5195560]
During setup.

[attachmentid=5195567]
Five months growth. And many renos.

NICE!!!..i could stay in front of the tank for hours. wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
usmanjailani
post Nov 5 2015, 08:37 AM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(danny_sp15 @ Nov 5 2015, 03:09 AM)

Unfortunately apart from the center part of the tank, the rest didn't grow much. In fact left part turned a bit brownish. Do you guys think now would be a good time to flood the tank, or should I wait longer?
Wow..i salute your patient sir..2 month is a really long time..at least for me.. rclxms.gif rclxms.gif

for flooding i cannot help..i give up after 1st month and flood it.. sad.gif
usmanjailani
post Nov 9 2015, 11:25 AM

Getting Started
174 posts

anyone using DIY fert for the plants?.

i did some jalan-jalan on the net, and found this recipe:
http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread....urce-and-Recipe
(from my understanding, this is a combination of macro and micro fert in one bottle right?)

or your guys have other links or tutorial or anything related to shared?
still comparing cost & effectiveness of buying store brew fert of homemade fert..
usmanjailani
post Nov 13 2015, 02:54 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(artsyfarty @ Nov 13 2015, 08:42 AM)
I'm using DIY fertz. 2 bottles of macro and micro. I'm using Estimative Index dosing method. It's so much cheaper in long run, I think with the amount I have, it will last for 2 years and the money I spent is less than rm100.

I was using this as a guide http://www.aquariumcalculators.com/aquariu...timative-index/
thank for the links..

btw..im wondering where to buy all those compound in small amount?..

hmm.gif hmm.gif
usmanjailani
post Nov 13 2015, 03:03 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(artsyfarty @ Nov 13 2015, 02:59 PM)
It took me a while to find it as well. Go to lelong.com.my, there's a seller called Algaefarmer. He is selling it. You can do COD near sungai buloh.

Then you can buy those bottle from daiso, I bought 500ml.

Tips, you can put water into the bottle and press it once to find out how many ml per press, so next time when you start dosing it, you don't have to measure it. Just press the number of times.
ya...i did stumble on his page on lelong while browsing where can i find those compound in small amount..i'm in jb btw..if he's the only suppliers of those, then no choice but to deal with postage..
usmanjailani
post Nov 17 2015, 11:55 AM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(kimimaro_kun @ Nov 16 2015, 04:31 PM)
yeay... johorian.. which part of jb bro?
Actually im a Kedahan, but now stay in Skudai bro..

still new and exploring things in this.. flex.gif
usmanjailani
post Nov 29 2015, 12:39 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

my Eheim 2217 is somehow spraying air in my 2.5'..like between 10-15min there will be bubbles inside the canister and you can hear it swirling and the bubble comes out from the outlet and the pump back to silent mode again..it's not that loud and annoying..the noise is still bearable..but i plan to buy inline co2 reactor like this http://www.lelong.com.my/ista-co2-reactor-...6-10-Sale-P.htm but afraid the bubble from the canister will accumulate with the co2 in the reactor..and does it effect the process in the reactor?.

p/s: i only open up the inlet valve around 3/4 from full capacity..is that the reason?.
usmanjailani
post Nov 29 2015, 02:58 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(junsheng @ Nov 29 2015, 02:00 PM)
nope, no problem 1, remove the air in ur canister thn it won't annoy you anymore
tis reactor prone 2 water leak u will need those thread seal tape, or buy a better 1

i'm using tis

http://www.lazada.com.my/joylivecy-detacha...18.html?boost=1
rclxms.gif rclxms.gif yup, the 1 you use is much better build than what i plan to buy..but then comes in the budget factor.. biggrin.gif

about the bubble..the problem is i'm not sure if removing the air will silent it because there are bubbles exiting from the outer pipe into the tank and it silent again (logically this mean that there is no air left in the canister)..but then, there will be swirling sound again..and again after sometimes..so how exactly the air comes in?.i don't have a surface skimmer tap to the canister, there is no water leaking (visually) in connector that can be the reason for some air slip through, beside the swirling sound, the pump work perfectly silent..

i think the solution u given me just now is for when there are continuous swirling sound in the canister right?. icon_rolleyes.gif
usmanjailani
post Nov 30 2015, 04:21 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(artsyfarty @ Nov 30 2015, 04:13 PM)
You can get it from here: http://www.lelong.com.my/merchant/algaefar...C1-141456-1.htm

His shop is somewhere near sungai buloh.
i did ask him about DIY fert ingredient yesterday..but he say some have no stock..so maybe this week will restock...hopefully what he said is true.. nod.gif
but if you looking for open&use fert, not sure about it..

7 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0226sec    0.21    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:21 AM