Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Old skool shaving, Best and closest shave ever

views

TScarbman
post Feb 28 2011, 12:36 AM, updated 9y ago

46 posts

Hi Guys.

Just would like to share some insights on shaving (facial hair, that is!).

My occupation prefers (but does not require) me to be clean-shaven, and until recently, I've had trouble with shaving. Mind you, I'm hitting 31 this year, so I'm no newbie to razor burns, nicks and cuts.

I used to use multi-bladed cartridge shavers (Gillete, Shick, Bic) with canned spray-foam. A summary of my problems:

1. I ALWAYS had razor burns in order to attain a near- 'baby-smooth-shave'. This prevented me shaving daily as my face needed healing time.

2. Shaving cartridge blades are expensive. RM10 per cartridge for a Mach 3.

3. Due to no.2 above, I tend to use the blades longer (like a week or two) before changing them. This dulled the blades, causing further 'no.1' problems.

4. Sometimes, I got ingrown hairs (yuk)

Anyway, went searching for an alternative, and the first thing I did was change the foam. From canned-spray, I started using home-made shaving soaps, mixed into a thick, luxurious lather with a shaving brush. This was OK, I got less of the burns, but the shave quality was still S***.

So, I got myself my first ol-skool double-edged razor. Was the only one available, less than RM10 per razor, and about RM2 per pack of 5 blades. First shave was horrible. Scarry as hell. Thanks to the internet and practice, got me a good routine going, and got closer shaves than was ever possible with a cartridge razor.

By now, I managed to source real shaving soap. It really makes a mockery of the 'whipped-cream' sold in supermarkets.

But I wanted to grow up, and get a proper DE razor. Never found one in KL. Even Acca Kappa doesn't stock 'em. I thought that with all the cheap blades being sold everywhere (mostly at Indian grocery shops), one would easily find a quality DE razor. Was wrong. Best I could find was an RM4 made in China number that tried to carve my face off!

Anyway, long story short, I got my Edwin Jagger DE89 and got me the closest shave ever. Really, a BBS! No bleeding, no razor burn, and no stinging while putting aftershave.

I now shave everyday, and I S*** you not, its actually enjoyable!

Here's my gear:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Shaving soap and brush:
Attached Image

This post has been edited by carbman: Feb 28 2011, 05:20 PM
kuzgo
post Feb 28 2011, 12:41 AM

Getting Started
266 posts

Just out of curiousity, if you had so much trouble shaving before, how come you didnt just use an electric shaver?
TScarbman
post Feb 28 2011, 12:45 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(kuzgo @ Feb 28 2011, 12:41 AM)
Just out of curiousity, if you had so much trouble shaving before, how come you didnt just use an electric shaver?
Electric shavers don't work for me either. It actually gives me worse razor burns than a cartridge razor. And the shave is never close enough, IMO.

Chuckieee
post Feb 28 2011, 12:48 AM

24 posts

Have you ever try:
user posted image
kotmj
post Feb 28 2011, 12:53 AM

The Coatmaker's Apprentice
3,789 posts

I use a cheap electric razor and never looked back. The shave isn't close but even the closest shave would look like what I get from the electric razor by noontime anyway.

I like the tone of this thread, sometimes we think progress is made with MACH100 and stupid shit they try to get the public to upgrade to, but sometimes our grandfathers have got the problem solved more elegantly, more sensually, and more effectively than any marketing-driven organization like Gillette, or just as bad (with food), Nestle and Kraft. You see this a lot in bespoke tailoring where innovation is actually a regress, not progress.
Cheenoo
post Feb 28 2011, 01:17 AM

Alpha as fuck
845 posts

Thanks for sharing, I have read numerous 'perfect shave' articles that recommends this. Nice to know someone here actually does it.
gregy
post Feb 28 2011, 01:22 AM

Casual
410 posts

Hey TS, mind sharing where you got that Edwin Jagger?
TScarbman
post Feb 28 2011, 01:33 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(Chuckieee @ Feb 28 2011, 12:48 AM)
Have you ever try:
user posted image
That's a straight razor. For people with steady hands and balls of steel! cool2.gif Damn cool. Would probably try that in the future. Only thing is that it needs sharpening. CONSTANTLY!

Added on February 28, 2011, 1:43 am
QUOTE(kotmj @ Feb 28 2011, 12:53 AM)
I use a cheap electric razor and never looked back. The shave isn't close but even the closest shave would look like what I get from the electric razor by noontime anyway.

I like the tone of this thread, sometimes we think progress is made with MACH100 and stupid shit they try to get the public to upgrade to, but sometimes our grandfathers have got the problem solved more elegantly, more sensually, and more effectively than any marketing-driven organization like Gillette, or just as bad (with food), Nestle and Kraft. You see this a lot in bespoke tailoring where innovation is actually a regress, not progress.
Hi kotmj! I've read your threads on shoes, tailoring and suitmaking. Really informative! One way I could describe a DE shave in terms you could relate to would be comparing a fused, RTW Padini suit to a fully canvassed masterpiece. brows.gif One would be able to know the benefits once one has tried. Heck....I even shave on weekends now!

About late day stubble, I get 'em really late now, much around the time I contemplate 'cabut'-ing from work (around 5-ish). Results vary, but if you're good with an electric shaver and your face can handle it, you'll be awesome with a DE razor.

And yeah, Gillette has spawned a 5-blade razor:

user posted image

They seem to add a blade every 4 years or so!

Added on February 28, 2011, 1:48 am
QUOTE(gregy @ Feb 28 2011, 01:22 AM)
Hey TS, mind sharing where you got that Edwin Jagger?
Got it online. Tried as I might, alas, I couldn't find any good ones locally. I'm beginning to think those who still buy the blades (readily available everywhere) are barbers. The cheap DE razors are almost lethal.

This post has been edited by carbman: Feb 28 2011, 05:21 PM
attacusatlas
post Feb 28 2011, 07:43 PM

A Nasty Professional
2,348 posts

i am using this currently:

user posted image
TScarbman
post Feb 28 2011, 09:04 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(attacusatlas @ Feb 28 2011, 07:43 PM)

user posted image
Does it use a mach 3 cartridge head?

attacusatlas
post Feb 28 2011, 09:15 PM

A Nasty Professional
2,348 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Feb 28 2011, 09:04 PM)
Does it use a mach 3 cartridge head?
yes it is
kotmj
post Feb 28 2011, 10:03 PM

3,789 posts

carbman, what brand of blade do you use in the EJ?

Added on February 28, 2011, 10:25 pmI feel a sudden and intense longing for my own EJ after reading online reviews of it. It's sounds like the best razor made in human history.

This post has been edited by kotmj: Feb 28 2011, 10:25 PM
jonny4
post Mar 1 2011, 12:04 AM

Regular
1,955 posts

@carbman,

currently i am using my late grandfather's Gillette Super Adjustable (fr 1960s or 1970s). single blades rock n i don't get those irritating shaving bumps/acne anymore. I don't have much facial hair so for shaving I use Shiseido Men Shaving Cream or Shiseido Men Cleaning Foam (doubles up as shaving foam).

I am using Gillette Super Nacet blades...bought a new pack fr mamak sundry shop last week. Super Nacet still in production ? What blades do u use for your Edwin Jagger ?

This post has been edited by jonny4: Mar 1 2011, 12:07 AM
TScarbman
post Mar 1 2011, 12:19 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Feb 28 2011, 10:03 PM)
carbman, what brand of blade do you use in the EJ?

Added on February 28, 2011, 10:25 pmI feel a sudden and intense longing for my own EJ after reading online reviews of it. It's sounds like the best razor made in human history.
Word on the street is that different faces respond differently to different blade-razor combinations. I haven't tried ordering blades from the net yet (would I have any trouble with customs?), but have heard rave reviews concerning Derby blades. Its recommended that one tries a sampler pack (around USD10) to choose the most suitable for one's own needs.

That said, I've tried Gillette Nacet, Topaz, Bic, and some other cheaper blades. Best so far are the Bics. Very smooth.

Added on March 1, 2011, 12:25 am
QUOTE(jonny4 @ Mar 1 2011, 12:04 AM)
@carbman,

currently i am using my late grandfather's Gillette Super Adjustable (fr 1960s or 1970s). single blades rock n i don't get those irritating shaving bumps/acne anymore. I don't have much facial hair so for shaving I use Shiseido Men Shaving Cream or Shiseido Men Cleaning Foam (doubles up as shaving foam).

I am using Gillette Super Nacet blades...bought a new pack fr mamak sundry shop last week. Super Nacet still in production ? What blades do u use for your Edwin Jagger ?
Yes, super Nacet is still in production, methinks. BTW, your razor has some rave reviews....don't ever sell it off (unless it to me lah) tongue.gif

This post has been edited by carbman: Mar 1 2011, 12:26 AM
jonny4
post Mar 1 2011, 12:31 AM

Regular
1,955 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Mar 1 2011, 12:19 AM)
Yes, super Nacet is still in production, methinks.  BTW, your razor has some rave reviews....don't ever sell it off (unless it to me lah) tongue.gif
That's good news to me...I will be using my Super Adjustable for many more years haha...and maybe pass it on to my kids...

Definitely won't sell...considered family heirloom edi biggrin.gif

btw...other than Gillette Super Nacet...what other brand of similar type blades are available in Malaysia ?

This post has been edited by jonny4: Mar 1 2011, 12:35 AM
shark7
post Mar 1 2011, 12:34 AM

Regular
1,366 posts

actually is there anyway to prevent the mostache and beard growing ??

most of my chinese friends.i think all chinese friends doesn't hve mostache and beard ..

i hate shaving ..but if i din't shave,, i feel sratchy and i din't look good if not shave

everyday must shave ..
kotmj
post Mar 1 2011, 12:40 AM

3,789 posts

I wonder if the shaving performance suffers because we here in Malaysia typically do not have hot running water in the taps. Do you use warm water from the shower water heater?
jonny4
post Mar 1 2011, 12:42 AM

Regular
1,955 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Mar 1 2011, 12:40 AM)
I wonder if the shaving performance suffers because we here in Malaysia typically do not have hot running water in the taps. Do you use warm water from the shower water heater?
I've tried using warm water b4 when shaving n it did make the skin softer n shaving easier...but its too time consuming plus I don't have much facial hair.
TScarbman
post Mar 1 2011, 09:03 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(shark7 @ Mar 1 2011, 12:34 AM)
actually is there anyway to prevent the mostache and beard growing ??

Shave lah.

Added on March 1, 2011, 9:05 am
QUOTE(kotmj @ Mar 1 2011, 12:40 AM)
I find that prepping the hairs on my face with a hot towel makes a CONSIDERABLE difference. But I leave that for mornings when I'm really free. At the very least, just splash on some hot water some minutes before the shave.

Google "Kyle's Prep".

This post has been edited by carbman: Mar 1 2011, 09:05 AM
gregy
post Mar 1 2011, 08:08 PM

Casual
410 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Mar 1 2011, 09:03 AM)
Shave lah.

I find that prepping the hairs on my face with a hot towel makes a CONSIDERABLE difference. But I leave that for mornings when I'm really free. At the very least, just splash on some hot water some minutes before the shave.

Google "Kyle's Prep".
I think it's not so much about prepping the hairs as it is about opening up the pores with warm water before a shave. A similar effect can be achieved by lathering up with shaving cream and then waiting a few mins for the minty cream to open up the pores prior to shaving.

For me, I always make sure to use a facial cleanser to remove excess oils from my face and to unclog the pores. Thereafter, apply shaving cream then wait 3 mins before shaving. Works every time smile.gif
shark7
post Mar 1 2011, 11:33 PM

Regular
1,366 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Mar 1 2011, 09:03 AM)
Shave lah.

Google "Kyle's Prep".
ya i know..tired of shaving ..just few days it will grow back
the more u shave the faster it grows

TScarbman
post Mar 2 2011, 12:52 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(shark7 @ Mar 1 2011, 11:33 PM)
ya i know..tired of shaving ..just few days it will grow back
the more u shave the faster it grows
Same like bathing lah. U just gotta do it. I loathed shaving before. Not anymore.

skylinelover
post Mar 5 2011, 06:14 PM

Future Crypto Player😄👊Driver Abamsado😎😎
5,642 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Feb 28 2011, 01:33 AM)
That's a straight razor.  For people with steady hands and balls of steel!  cool2.gif  Damn cool.  Would probably try that in the future.  Only thing is that it needs sharpening. CONSTANTLY!
haha this shaver can b used s weapons 2 cut your throat out...idea coming from movie rambo 1 tango n cash laugh.gif doh.gif very deadly n dangerous 2
[Top-Gun]
post Apr 12 2011, 10:41 AM

Wanted: Dead or Alive
1,059 posts

Anyone wants to try 'The Fat'?

Found a cheap source online and would just like to share shipping..

About 4 pounds for a 125g puck of MWF..

Shipping is about 10 pounds for 5 or 12 pounds for 8.
jonny4
post Apr 12 2011, 12:40 PM

Regular
1,955 posts

QUOTE(Top-Gun @ Apr 12 2011, 10:41 AM)
Anyone wants to try 'The Fat'?

Found a cheap source online and would just like to share shipping..

About 4 pounds for a 125g puck of MWF..

Shipping is about 10 pounds for 5 or 12 pounds for 8.
thanks for the offer but I am perfectly happy with my Shiseido Men Shaving Cream biggrin.gif
kotmj
post Apr 12 2011, 02:40 PM

3,789 posts

some time back tried buying my first shaving set from the english shaving company but it was a lame site that had problems processing my credit card
TScarbman
post Aug 18 2011, 09:33 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Apr 12 2011, 02:40 PM)
some time back tried buying my first shaving set from the english shaving company but it was a lame site that had problems processing my credit card
Try westcoastshaving....that's where I got my gear.

Anyway, was in Barcelona lately, and found this gem of a shop there. Spanish people must take their shaving seriously!

Attached Image
Cheenoo
post Aug 18 2011, 10:26 PM

Alpha as fuck
845 posts

Spanish people have no choice I think..
irmond
post Aug 19 2011, 02:09 AM

Real Estate Sales 0169883262
618 posts

hey TS. please PM me the place and price u bought ur shaver. i cant find it in anywhere.
day2dayshopaholic
post Aug 19 2011, 10:14 AM

Getting Started
53 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Feb 28 2011, 01:33 AM)
That's a straight razor.  For people with steady hands and balls of steel!  cool2.gif  Damn cool.  Would probably try that in the future.  Only thing is that it needs sharpening. CONSTANTLY!

Added on February 28, 2011, 1:43 am
Hi kotmj!  I've read your threads on shoes, tailoring and suitmaking. Really informative! One way I could describe a DE shave in terms you could relate to would be comparing a fused, RTW Padini suit to a fully canvassed masterpiece.  brows.gif One would be able to know the benefits once one has tried.  Heck....I even shave on weekends now! 

About late day stubble, I get 'em really late now, much around the time I contemplate 'cabut'-ing from work (around 5-ish).  Results vary, but if you're good with an electric shaver and your face can handle it, you'll be awesome with a DE razor.

And yeah, Gillette has spawned a 5-blade razor:

user posted image

They seem to add a blade every 4 years or so!

Added on February 28, 2011, 1:48 am
Got it online. Tried as I might, alas, I couldn't find any good ones locally. I'm beginning to think those who still buy the blades (readily available everywhere) are barbers.  The cheap DE razors are almost lethal.
hi, which website you get it from?
john.rambo
post Aug 23 2011, 11:08 AM

34 posts

QUOTE(attacusatlas @ Feb 28 2011, 07:43 PM)

user posted image
Hi Bro,

Where did you purchase this from?
attacusatlas
post Aug 23 2011, 11:47 AM

A Nasty Professional
2,348 posts

QUOTE(john.rambo @ Aug 23 2011, 11:08 AM)
Hi Bro,

Where did you purchase this from?
procured them years ago from FORHIM william martin before it ceased business. you may want to try acca kappa for something similar.

This post has been edited by attacusatlas: Aug 23 2011, 12:09 PM
Yushiro
post Sep 6 2011, 04:38 PM

18 posts

OMG. I've been waiting for years for a thread like this to start. Been doing DE shaving for the last 7 years. Like you carbman, I've had my face sliced to ribbons by these multibladed crap razors that Gillette has been putting out and basically the exact same problems as you. Switched to DE (same journey as you also tongue.gif), Cheap china DEs, Super Nacet (ugh). Now I have 3 Vintage Gillette DEs (1950s Gillette Gold Aristocrat, 1963 Gillette 'Slim' Adjustable and a 1979 Gillette Super Adjustable). BBS everytime.

Now, as far as supplies are concerned:

1. DE Blades - 1st Floor, Haniffa Textiles, Jln Masjid India. They have a variety of blades (Sold either in single box of 5 blades or 100 blade pack). Recommended brands: Treet Platinum, BIC, Green Russian made Gillette 7'O Clock blades. Currently they have Wilkinson Sword Blades at the cashier. RM3.90 per 5 blades. Super damn good. Better go sapu before I do!

Mustafas - Singapore. I know. Its far but this place can get a lot of stuff. Look for Kai Blades.

2. Shaving soap - Sorry. Cannot find here. Take up [Top-Gun]'s offer. I have a puck of MWF. its awesome. [Disclaimer: I have no relation or know who is [Top-Gun] ]. Alternatively, you can look for Tabac Shaving Sticks in Mustafa. Very useful esp when travelling

3. Shaving Cream - Ah, here we are a bit luckier. Haniffa's has Godrej Shaving creams, Denim and German made Palmolive creams. All of which are at par in terms of performance with very expensive English creams. All of them are under RM20 per tube and will last for 2 months if you shave everyday.

4. Aftershave - Apart from the Nivea balm and Denim ones, I dun recommend anything else in Malaysia. Maybe got some Body shop ones that work. Never tried. Too rich for my budget. When in Mustafa, pick up Skin Bracer aftershaves.

5. Razors - Buy online. badgerandblade.com's BST thread can get some good deals. Dun be scared about using vintage razors. They work just fine after disinfecting them.

Ok. Sorry about the long post. Just happy to see someone else who's into this kind of shaving tongue.gif

PS: Not affliated at all with the retailers or brands mentioned here. Just a happy customer smile.gif

This post has been edited by Yushiro: Sep 6 2011, 04:39 PM
izwanz
post Sep 6 2011, 06:17 PM

On my way
564 posts

How regularly do you guys often shave?

I am keen on buying an electric shaver but I'm scared that i won't get a 'close shave'. sad.gif
MeToo
post Sep 6 2011, 06:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,329 posts

QUOTE(izwanz @ Sep 6 2011, 06:17 PM)

I am keen on buying an electric shaver but I'm scared that i won't get a 'close shave'. sad.gif
QUite sure you wont get a clean shave. I keep one in my car, whip it out when i'm in a rush etc. It does the job, but u still can feel the stubbles.
Yushiro
post Sep 6 2011, 10:46 PM

18 posts

I shave every 2 days. Electric might or might not work for you. As MeeToo said, it depends on how heavy your facial hair growth is. Personally, I can't use them as my facial hair is thick
JeffxMatt
post Sep 7 2011, 04:17 AM

Getting Started
133 posts

damn im interested in buying Edwin Jagger DE86811bl, but they dont accept PayPal. They only accept credit cards and sadly, i dont have one... cry.gif
izwanz
post Sep 7 2011, 03:01 PM

On my way
564 posts

Do you guys shave early in the morning or night?

Those days during wartime even armies still shave using cold water -- no problem. http://www.armytimes.com/offduty/health/of..._advice_071509/
ErgoProxi
post Sep 7 2011, 03:50 PM

Aren't I just good enough to eat?
2,702 posts

wow, u guys REALLY take shaving seriously.
Usually, I shave 1 a week if I in d "mood".
btw, me not army but shave with cold water.
Yushiro
post Sep 7 2011, 09:45 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(izwanz @ Sep 7 2011, 03:01 PM)

Those days during wartime even armies still shave using cold water -- no problem. http://www.armytimes.com/offduty/health/of..._advice_071509/
I do it at night, after shower. I find it refreshing and the hair grows back slower. Of course, YMMV.
JeffxMatt
post Sep 7 2011, 10:50 PM

Getting Started
133 posts

i do it early in the morning, usually after i cleanse my face.

well im not as lucky to be able to get a clean shave with cold water..

QUOTE(ErgoProxi @ Sep 7 2011, 03:50 PM)
wow, u guys REALLY take shaving seriously.
Usually, I shave 1 a week if I in d "mood".
btw, me not army but shave with cold water.
well, we have to like it or not... unless you look like a hunk while unshaven, then youd have to take it as seriously as possible to make sure you do not look unkempt or messy.

QUOTE(Yushiro @ Sep 7 2011, 09:45 PM)
I do it at night, after shower. I find it refreshing and the hair grows back slower. Of course, YMMV.
lucky you... ive tried but sadly i cant, i have to shave early in the morning, everyday. sad.gif my rate is pretty fast i guess.. too fast for my liking...
TScarbman
post Sep 15 2011, 08:22 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(Yushiro @ Sep 6 2011, 04:38 PM)
1. DE Blades - 1st Floor, Haniffa Textiles, Jln Masjid India. They have a variety of blades (Sold either in single box of 5 blades or 100 blade pack). Recommended brands: Treet Platinum, BIC, Green Russian made Gillette 7'O Clock blades. Currently they have Wilkinson Sword Blades at the cashier. RM3.90 per 5 blades. Super damn good. Better go sapu before I do!

Mustafas - Singapore. I know. Its far but this place can get a lot of stuff. Look for Kai Blades.

2. Shaving soap - Sorry. Cannot find here. Take up [Top-Gun]'s offer. I have a puck of MWF. its awesome. [Disclaimer: I have no relation or know who is [Top-Gun] ]. Alternatively, you can look for Tabac Shaving Sticks in Mustafa. Very useful esp when travelling

3. Shaving Cream - Ah, here we are a bit luckier. Haniffa's has Godrej Shaving creams, Denim and German made Palmolive creams. All of which are at par in terms of performance with very expensive English creams. All of them are under RM20 per tube and will last for 2 months if you shave everyday.

4. Aftershave - Apart from the Nivea balm and Denim ones, I dun recommend anything else in Malaysia. Maybe got some Body shop ones that work. Never tried. Too rich for my budget. When in Mustafa, pick up Skin Bracer aftershaves.

5. Razors - Buy online. badgerandblade.com's BST thread can get some good deals. Dun be scared about using vintage razors. They work just fine after disinfecting them.

Haha....thought this thread was DEAD. OK....I'll storm Jln Masjid India tomolo...running outta blades. I originally bought 5-pack BICs from carrefour for like RM1.20 a box or something like that...pack of 5 boxes.

For the soap, the one that I've found here is from Acca Kappa at pavillion. Buy the refill puck if you're curious. They say its good. Cheaper still would be Crabtree & Evelyn at Midvalley or Bangsar, they sell the refill complete with a wooden boal at RM150 (around that....not sure, was a long time ago). C&E shave brush is also quite acceptable. Acca Kappas brush is something like RM400 ('silvertip' badger, no less).

Added on September 15, 2011, 8:25 pm

I have to shave everyday to stay non-hobbo-looking.

Don't buy the electric shaver if you think you're going to get an awesome shave. I havent tried the super-expensive ones yet, but there's NO way they could be a good-ol razor.

PS: I've fallen into the electric razor 'fad' TWICE.

Added on September 15, 2011, 8:27 pm
QUOTE(JeffxMatt @ Sep 7 2011, 04:17 AM)
damn im interested in buying Edwin Jagger DE86811bl, but they dont accept PayPal. They only accept credit cards and sadly, i dont have one...  cry.gif
Get a Maybank account. They'll give you a VISA debit ATM card. Use it lah. Unless of course, you are under 12, which would negate the need to shave anyway.

Added on September 15, 2011, 8:29 pm

I tried at night...much more 'aman-damai'. But not as BBS in the morning as I'd prefer. Now I shave in the mornings, but will perhaps revert to night shaving sometime soon.

Cold water shaving: no problem. Hot water shaving: better still.

This post has been edited by carbman: Sep 17 2011, 01:39 AM
Mr. Z
post Sep 16 2011, 08:34 PM

On my way
601 posts

Where can i get a DE or a straight razor here in KL?

wanted to try using them...
kotmj
post Sep 16 2011, 09:15 PM

3,789 posts

Just bought the following

Col Conk Watertight Travel Container with Bay Rum Shaving Soap $7.00
DE Blade Sampler Pack, Choice $10.00
Edwin Jagger DE8911 Double Edge Safety Razor, Chrome $34.00

Subtotal: $51.00
Discount(s): $0.00
Taxes: $0.00
Shipping: $12.64
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL: $63.64

Will buy a silver tip badger brush separately from elsewhere

The razor
user posted image
Mihawk7
post Sep 16 2011, 10:14 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

I still prefer to use scissors.
kotmj
post Sep 16 2011, 11:01 PM

3,789 posts

Bought this
user posted image

and this to store the brush while travelling
user posted image

this to store the razor
user posted image

TScarbman
post Sep 17 2011, 01:44 AM

46 posts

Kotmj,

that's a nice set u got. My DE89 looks almost like your DE8911, complete with the knurling at the bottom tip. Any ideas what's the difference?

And how's the shaving going? I've got 2 'best' badger brushes, but havent yet tried the silvertips.

kotmj
post Sep 17 2011, 01:52 AM

3,789 posts

Apparently EJ slightly redesigned their razors in 2011 to be more head-heavy. So the DE89 becomes the DE8911. They also introduced more handle variants like barley-grain and octogonal handles.

I still use an electric razor! I just bought the stuff online today and it will take about 2 weeks before they arrive. The silvertip I bought is directly from China -- apparently they make them for several European brands. GBP 17 only!
TScarbman
post Sep 17 2011, 02:27 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Sep 17 2011, 01:52 AM)
Apparently EJ slightly redesigned their razors in 2011 to be more head-heavy. So the DE89 becomes the DE8911. They also introduced more handle variants like barley-grain and octogonal handles.

I still use an electric razor! I just bought the stuff online today and it will take about 2 weeks before they arrive. The silvertip I bought is directly from China -- apparently they make them for several European brands. GBP 17 only!
OOhhhh.....just ordered me a sampler pack today. Also hitching the ride will be a drip stand (for the brush), and 2 long handled EJs (brother and dad want one). Did it after I teracuned from your last post. brows.gif

Anyway, could you please point me in the right direction for the China-made silvertips? Me want one!

nles
post Sep 17 2011, 04:12 AM

♥ It's not about the girl ♥ It's the G-Shock
1,945 posts

What's so special bout those shaver? Gotta study it.
I shave every morning after my hot shower with shave foam and gillete shaver.

Last time dont need to shave so frequent but now grow too fast le.
Yushiro
post Sep 17 2011, 09:29 AM

18 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Sep 15 2011, 08:22 PM)
Haha....thought this thread was DEAD.  OK....I'll storm Jln Masjid India tomolo...running outta blades. I originally bought 5-pack BICs from carrefour for like RM1.20 a box or something like that...pack of 5 boxes.

For the soap, the one that I've found here is from Acca Kappa at pavillion. Buy the refill puck if you're curious. They say its good.  Cheaper still would be Crabtree & Evelyn at Midvalley or Bangsar, they sell the refill complete with a wooden boal at RM150 (around that....not sure, was a long time ago). C&E shave brush is also quite acceptable.  Acca Kappas brush is something like RM400 ('silvertip' badger, no less).
I did check out Acca Kappa when they first opened. Er..way out of my budget LOL. Anyways, I have far too many soaps. C&E no longer sells soaps. But I do have a puck of C&E Sweet Almond Oil soap. Thats a really nice soap! To bad they're since discontinued. I think if you looked online you could still find their Nomad soaps.

QUOTE(Mr. Z @ Sep 16 2011, 08:34 PM)
Where can i get a DE or a straight razor here in KL?

wanted to try using them...
As i said in my long post earlier, the only thing you're going to find here in KL is the Chinese and Indian made DE's which while good as a starter DE, are too light and have too small blade angles IMO. Your best bet will be like the rest of the gang here, order online. Apart from Edwin Jagger, Merkur is a good "New" DE razor to get. Lastly, you could also opt to get yourself a vintage razor. If you need some recommendations, I'll be more than happy to list some

kotmj
post Sep 17 2011, 06:30 PM

3,789 posts

It occured to me that I need a brush and razor stand, and so they cancelled my initial order so I can create a new one with the stand. In the course of doing so I basically decided I will just use the Feathers instead of a sampler pack.

Omega 27mm Chrome Shaving Brush and Razor Stand $17.00
Edwin Jagger DE8911 Double Edge Safety Razor, Chrome $34.00
Col Conk Watertight Travel Container with Amber Shaving Soap $7.00
Feather Double Edge Razor Blades (50 Blades) $22.50

Subtotal: $80.50
Discount(s): $0.00
Taxes: $0.00
Shipping: $16.14
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL: $96.64

This is where I bought the brush
http://stores.ebay.com/classicshop2012
Mr. Z
post Sep 17 2011, 08:23 PM

On my way
601 posts

QUOTE(Yushiro @ Sep 17 2011, 09:29 AM)

As i said in my long post earlier, the only thing you're going to find here in KL is the Chinese and Indian made DE's which while good as a starter DE, are too light and have too small blade angles IMO. Your best bet will be like the rest of the gang here, order online. Apart from Edwin Jagger, Merkur is a good "New" DE razor to get. Lastly, you could also opt to get yourself a vintage razor. If you need some recommendations, I'll be more than happy to list some
I heard alot about Edwin Jagger and merkur, guess my best bet is to get them from over seas..

Any idea whats the range of a decent straight razor? I saw that some of them goes up to a couple of hundred USD as compared to the DEs
kotmj
post Sep 17 2011, 08:28 PM

3,789 posts

That is a particularly lousy question and would make some of my professors throw the duster into your face.
MeToo
post Sep 17 2011, 08:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,329 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Sep 17 2011, 08:28 PM)
That is a particularly lousy question and would make some of my professors throw the duster into your face.
You professors still use chalks and blackboards?!
kotmj
post Sep 17 2011, 08:52 PM

3,789 posts

Actually they did, especially in the lecture halls but even in some seminar rooms. When they built a spanking new glass and stainless steel auditorium a few years back they put in blackboards.

Added on September 17, 2011, 8:54 pmBTW in this country where I studied they do not wipe the boards like us in Malaysia. The use a wet rag to wipe it so there isn't dust all over the place. There is a sink in the room next to each blackboard.

This post has been edited by kotmj: Sep 17 2011, 08:54 PM
TScarbman
post Sep 17 2011, 09:55 PM

46 posts

This is what I use to hold my DE razors: a toothbrush holder from IKEA. Wont work for the brushes, though.

user posted image

This post has been edited by carbman: Sep 17 2011, 09:56 PM
Mr. Z
post Sep 19 2011, 02:28 AM

On my way
601 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Sep 17 2011, 08:28 PM)
contrary to what u think, my professors always tells me no question is stupid, but only the stupidest person would not ask questions for fear of being branded by people like you... smile.gif

TScarbman
post Sep 19 2011, 10:12 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(Mr. Z @ Sep 19 2011, 02:28 AM)
contrary to what u think, my professors always tells me no question is stupid, but only the stupidest person would not ask questions for fear of being branded by people like you...  smile.gif
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots".

PS: not my line
attacusatlas
post Sep 19 2011, 10:30 AM

A Nasty Professional
2,348 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Sep 16 2011, 11:01 PM)
and this to store the brush while travelling
user posted image

this to store the razor
user posted image
kotmj, i like these. where to find one? (or two perhaps)
Yushiro
post Sep 19 2011, 12:32 PM

18 posts

2 out of the 3 Vintages that I use:

bottom: 1950s Gillette Aristocrat
top: 1963 Gillette 'Slim' Adjustable

user posted image
kotmj
post Sep 19 2011, 03:05 PM

3,789 posts

QUOTE(attacusatlas @ Sep 19 2011, 10:30 AM)
kotmj, i like these. where to find one? (or two perhaps)
I got them off ebay. I went on b&b forum and people were telling each other to get film canisters and drill holes in them etc. Someone says he uses the tubular toilet roll core to store his silvertip brush while travelling etc. Such inelegant solutions.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/250847191582?ssPage...984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.de/itm/170695903023?ssPage...984.m1439.l2649

Added on September 19, 2011, 3:06 pm
QUOTE(Yushiro @ Sep 19 2011, 12:32 PM)
2 out of the 3 Vintages that I use:

bottom: 1950s Gillette Aristocrat
top: 1963 Gillette 'Slim' Adjustable

user posted image
Wah, that soap is so old school.

Added on September 19, 2011, 3:12 pm
QUOTE(Mr. Z @ Sep 19 2011, 02:28 AM)
contrary to what u think, my professors always tells me no question is stupid, but only the stupidest person would not ask questions for fear of being branded by people like you...  smile.gif
those mediocrities told you that?

This post has been edited by kotmj: Sep 19 2011, 03:12 PM
Yushiro
post Sep 19 2011, 03:13 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Sep 19 2011, 03:05 PM)
Wah, that soap is so old school.
LOL. Its just this: user posted image

I put it into a small mason jar
kotmj
post Sep 19 2011, 03:15 PM

3,789 posts

That is a great idea. The only reason I bought my Col. Conk was because it comes in a watertight container.
attacusatlas
post Sep 19 2011, 04:07 PM

A Nasty Professional
2,348 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Sep 19 2011, 03:05 PM)
I got them off ebay. I went on b&b forum and people were telling each other to get film canisters and drill holes in them etc. Someone says he uses the tubular toilet roll core to store his silvertip brush while travelling etc. Such inelegant solutions.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/250847191582?ssPage...984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.de/itm/170695903023?ssPage...984.m1439.l2649
ah, thanks for the insight but i can't find one that fits mine
Yushiro
post Sep 20 2011, 10:28 AM

18 posts

I melted down my Col Conk and put it in a nice watertight stainless steel container. Too bad my puck is finishing dy sad.gif

QUOTE(kotmj @ Sep 19 2011, 03:15 PM)
That is a great idea. The only reason I bought my Col. Conk was because it comes in a watertight container.
kotmj
post Sep 26 2011, 05:50 PM

3,789 posts

OMG my shaving set arrived, the quality of this EJ is superb! The Omega chrome stand too, is not your normal China bent wire stuff, it is of a very high quality and the EJ fits perfectly into it. The Col. Conk in amber smells delightful I can already see that shaving will be a sensual experience.

Added on September 26, 2011, 6:04 pmThis is the sort of stuff father can hand down to son. Solid brass, perfectly chromed. Classic styling.

This post has been edited by kotmj: Sep 26 2011, 06:04 PM
nles
post Sep 27 2011, 12:42 PM

1,945 posts

Are we allowed to travel with blades. Check in baggage no problem during travel?
Cotton Diesel
post Sep 27 2011, 01:26 PM

Casual
428 posts

QUOTE(nles @ Sep 27 2011, 12:42 PM)
Are we allowed to travel with blades. Check in baggage no problem during travel?
i think as long as u check in to cargo no prob. dont bring to the cabin luggage.
ate
post Sep 27 2011, 01:28 PM

On my way
596 posts

ive been bleeding since the longest time and i have gotten used too without using any shaving foam.
nles
post Sep 27 2011, 02:40 PM

1,945 posts

Kotmj where did you orderedyour razor and soaps? Thanks.
kotmj
post Sep 27 2011, 02:52 PM

3,789 posts

user posted image
junbecks
post Sep 27 2011, 03:37 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

currently i'm using this shaving cream.
its really good but very sensitive to water. If theres any water on your face it wont lather.

user posted image

I hate gilette foams or creams because it makes my skin feel tight.
MeToo
post Sep 27 2011, 04:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,329 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Sep 27 2011, 02:52 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
You need some serious moisturising for your hands...
TScarbman
post Sep 27 2011, 09:00 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(MeToo @ Sep 27 2011, 04:29 PM)
You need some serious moisturising for your hands...
I was going to say the same thing. Maybe his other hand is better.

Added on September 27, 2011, 9:02 pm
QUOTE(junbecks @ Sep 27 2011, 03:37 PM)
currently i'm using this shaving cream.
its really good but very sensitive to water. If theres any water on your face it wont lather.

user posted image

I hate gilette foams or creams because it makes my skin feel tight.
R u sure its not a brushless shaving cream? There are those things out there that are brushless and are meant to be used as such. I have the soap version of the Nomad (C&E) and its OK, just so.

Added on September 27, 2011, 9:03 pm
QUOTE(ate @ Sep 27 2011, 01:28 PM)
ive been bleeding since the longest time and i have gotten used too without using any shaving foam.
When in doubt, lubricate.

Added on September 27, 2011, 9:04 pm
QUOTE(nles @ Sep 27 2011, 12:42 PM)
I checked in all my shaving stuff with a pack of raw blades, no problem. This was to europe.

Added on September 27, 2011, 9:06 pm
QUOTE(kotmj @ Sep 26 2011, 05:50 PM)
OMG my shaving set arrived, the quality of this EJ is superb! The Omega chrome stand too, is not your normal China bent wire stuff, it is of a very high quality and the EJ fits perfectly into it. The Col. Conk in amber smells delightful I can already see that shaving will be a sensual experience.

Added on September 26, 2011, 6:04 pmThis is the sort of stuff father can hand down to son. Solid brass, perfectly chromed. Classic styling.
You like it, dontcha? This is the kinda stuff, if you ter-drop on your toes in the morning, would render you fit for an MC. The chrome gets dulled by the shaving soap residue over time. A quick rinse in hot water, followed by a gentle scrub with a terrycloth does the trick. Pics of your shaving stand, pls...

This post has been edited by carbman: Sep 27 2011, 09:06 PM
WintersuN
post Sep 27 2011, 09:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,173 posts

Hi,

I want ask how u all buy shaver? I see so many type i dunno which to buy.

Also how many times you use the shaver before changing? I see some only 1 shaver while some inside got 5 or 6 shaver insdie the pack.
kotmj
post Sep 27 2011, 10:26 PM

3,789 posts

The brush hasn't arrived yet...

user posted image

Added on September 27, 2011, 10:33 pmI can't remember the last time I paid RM150 and got such a tool out of the box...

This post has been edited by kotmj: Sep 27 2011, 10:33 PM
attacusatlas
post Sep 27 2011, 10:45 PM

A Nasty Professional
2,348 posts

^ those are so sex
TScarbman
post Sep 28 2011, 06:33 PM

46 posts

In the midst of being jealous that Kotmj's purchase sampai but mine belum, I was delighted to see a brown box my maid signed for from the postal people. Took about 10 days.

Inside were 2 EJ DE89Ls (for my brother and dad), a brush holder, and a sampler pack of razors. These are the razors:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Just for some porn, here are my brushes, both best badger, not silvertip. Not yet.

Attached Image
kotmj
post Sep 28 2011, 07:34 PM

3,789 posts

Carbman, is the lined version better?

China silvertip arrived today
user posted image

user posted image

I'm using Feathers now, but have just bought Bic from Carrefour. The Bic is made in Greece.

user posted image

Added on September 28, 2011, 8:15 pmJust tried the Bic, nowhere as sharp as the Feather.

This post has been edited by kotmj: Sep 28 2011, 08:15 PM
ja50n
post Sep 28 2011, 08:16 PM

Getting Started
124 posts

Hi guys .... i see all the photos looks so .... cool.

But i have no idea at all how to use them if i opt for this kind of shaving (have been using electric since .... when i need to shave).

Pls sifu enlighten me ......
TScarbman
post Sep 29 2011, 01:28 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Sep 28 2011, 07:34 PM)
Carbman, is the lined version better?
First impression is that it grips a wee bit better than the non-textured shaft. The shaft is just as long, though. Looks-wise it just a matter of taste. The head is identical. Is this sounding too much like a sexual innuendo?

Anyway, how's the silvertip brush? Soft? My best badgers are still a bit stiff at the ends.

Bic is the best I've been able to source locally, and since you say the feathers are better, I'm gonna try em out quick. drool.gif Dont even bother with the Nacets and Lasers.

kotmj
post Sep 29 2011, 10:24 AM

3,789 posts

I thought the silvertips would be more syok on the mouth/chin than a nice tuft of pussihair, but it felt like any other brush. It's my first shaving brush so I have no frame of reference.
g3n0c|d3
post Sep 29 2011, 11:01 AM

hai hai... kazuma dayo....
6,418 posts

i went to acca kappa after u guys suggested to go there... looks really nice but i mean... it looks too nice for me to use it... but im thinking of throwing my current shaver and buy the olde style...

keep it coming guys... i learn loads of stuff over here...
TScarbman
post Sep 29 2011, 12:11 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Sep 29 2011, 10:24 AM)
I thought the silvertips would be more syok on the mouth/chin than a nice tuft of pussihair, but it felt like any other brush. It's my first shaving brush so I have no frame of reference.
R U absolutely sure the brush is silvertip? Or even badger, and not synthetic? I'm hoping its real, coz I also want one, especially at that price. Even B&B members have used this brush. I was a wee bit sceptical on its originality because of the waviness of the hair: my synthetic Bodyshop shaving brush does that. Try burn a few strands and see (yeah right).

If it is real, then perhaps its just a matter of "running-in" the brush. Give it some time.

I tried the Feathers, and they were sharper than the BICs, yes. I'll be trying the others in the sampler pack later on. They cost about RM3 per pack of 5, pretty much market price here, excluding shipping charges, of course. If I find one I particularly like, I might switch to that. As it is, its tough to beat the BICs at RM8+ per 6 packs, or about RM1.2 per pack. My first Feather shave hasn't converted me yet. Perhaps I was being too cautious after hearing about their legendary sharpness.

kotmj
post Sep 29 2011, 02:44 PM

3,789 posts

I searched on B&B for this brush and the consensus seems to be that they are great value but not on par with the absolute best (Rooneys, TGN, etc). I can live with that!

Well as I've said, I am just not the right person to judge brushes, this is the first I've used except for the one this Armenian barber used on my sideburns and back neck during my student days. I'm pretty sure he used a boar bristle brush.
TScarbman
post Sep 29 2011, 04:24 PM

46 posts

Ah, those old skool barbers.....i'm quite certain they never dry their brushes
thteong82
post Oct 4 2011, 01:41 PM

Poor Guy
1,523 posts

QUOTE(Yushiro @ Sep 6 2011, 04:38 PM)
OMG. I've been waiting for years for a thread like this to start. Been doing DE shaving for the last 7 years. Like you carbman, I've had my face sliced to ribbons by these multibladed crap razors that Gillette has been putting out and basically the exact same problems as you. Switched to DE (same journey as you also tongue.gif), Cheap china DEs, Super Nacet (ugh). Now I have 3 Vintage Gillette DEs (1950s Gillette Gold Aristocrat, 1963 Gillette 'Slim' Adjustable and a 1979 Gillette Super Adjustable). BBS everytime.

Now, as far as supplies are concerned:

Ok. Sorry about the long post. Just happy to see someone else who's into this kind of shaving tongue.gif

PS: Not affliated at all with the retailers or brands mentioned here. Just a happy customer  smile.gif
Anyone know where can get the shaving cream and blades like example above at Penang?
kotmj
post Oct 4 2011, 11:36 PM

3,789 posts

OK, so I've been wet shaving everyday for a week now.

I nick myself everytime, i.e. I draw blood. Just a tiny pinprick normally, no big deal, but I prefer not to. The past 2 days it wouldn't have happened if I did not do 4 passes repeatedly. Yes, I shave against the grain. Bad idea, I know, but it is the only way to get a truly close shave.

The first 2 days I had major razor burn, but that seem to no longer occur.

Do I enjoy it? Strangely, yes. It's actually fun.

The shave is closer than what I can achieve with the electric razor, but it is not as close as I thought it would be. There is still this greyish shade to my skin around the beard areas.

Wet shaving is best done when you have all the time in the world. Having to hurry subtracts from the satisfaction of the ritual.
TScarbman
post Oct 5 2011, 07:57 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Oct 4 2011, 11:36 PM)
OK, so I've been wet shaving everyday for a week now.

I nick myself everytime, i.e. I draw blood. Just a tiny pinprick normally, no big deal, but I prefer not to. The past 2 days it wouldn't have happened if I did not do 4 passes repeatedly. Yes, I shave against the grain. Bad idea, I know, but it is the only way to get a truly close shave.

The first 2 days I had major razor burn, but that seem to no longer occur.

Do I enjoy it? Strangely, yes. It's actually fun.

The shave is closer than what I can achieve with the electric razor, but it is not as close as I thought it would be. There is still this greyish shade to my skin around the beard areas.

Wet shaving is best done when you have all the time in the world. Having to hurry subtracts from the satisfaction of the ritual.
Do you go ATG (against the grain) from the 1st pass? I usually manage with 3 passes, begining with WTG, followed bt WTG again and finish off with XTG. For tough spots, I emply the 'blade buffing' technique. And a proper, unhurried prep really does wonders. But having no razor burn means your technique must be on track.

kotmj
post Oct 6 2011, 01:52 PM

3,789 posts

Yeah, I went ATG at first pass.

I shaved just now with your technique. 2X WTG then ATG. It works. No nicks. This is for above the chin. Below the chin, it is awkward to hold the razor to do WTG. So just ATG below the chin.

The brush is shedding hair. Like 2 hairs per use.

The BIC is seriously dull, man. I replaced my week-old Feather with a fresh BIC and guess what? The week-old Feather is SHARPER than a fresh BIC.

Dropped by Hanifa on the weekend. No Russian Gilettes there. No DE blades at the counter. But plenty of Chinese and Pakistani and Indian blades of dubious quality.

How do you dispose of your blades? They are still very sharp, and the rubbish collectors like to ruffle through the garbage in search of plastic bottles.
Yushiro
post Oct 6 2011, 02:55 PM

18 posts

Just came back from Haniffa. Picked up a Lord DE razor (for the sake of reviewing it) and a tube of Denim shaving cream. Checked the blades on sale at the payment counter. They have Russian Green 7'O Clocks, Vietnamese Gillette Thins and about 10-15 German made Wilkinson Swords.(these are the ones I recommend. They have others but better dun use) For easy blade disposal, I took one of my daughter's milk tins, sealed the lid, flipped it upside down and made a hole for the blades. This is known as a blade bank. been using it for like 6 years, now only halfway full. since everything is metal, it'll be easier to recycle. But make sure you mark it with a label that says "used blades" la

A note on boar brushes: I've been using the same Omega boar for 6 years. So far its probably shed about 10-15 hairs? I soak it in hot/very warm water before I shower and use it after the shower. The key is to preserving it is after usage, wash with hot water (not boiling hot la) and then thoroughly clean it with cold water. Brush is still excellent and works wonderfully with creams or soaps.

PS: I have no idea where to get blades in Penang. Sorry bro.

QUOTE(kotmj @ Oct 6 2011, 01:52 PM)

I shaved just now with your technique. 2X WTG then ATG. It works. No nicks. This is for above the chin. Below the chin, it is awkward to hold the razor to do WTG. So just ATG below the chin.

The BIC is seriously dull, man. I replaced my week-old Feather with a fresh BIC and guess what? The week-old Feather is SHARPER than a fresh BIC.

Dropped by Hanifa on the weekend. No Russian Gilettes there. No DE blades at the counter. But plenty of Chinese and Pakistani and Indian blades of dubious quality.

How do you dispose of your blades? They are still very sharp, and the rubbish collectors like to ruffle through the garbage in search of plastic bottles.
kotmj
post Oct 6 2011, 03:04 PM

3,789 posts

What? All I saw at the payment counter were Gilette cartridges, and when I asked a lady at the counter about razor blades she said First Floor.
Yushiro
post Oct 6 2011, 04:23 PM

18 posts

I apologize for not being clear. They are at the first floor payment counter. Again, my apologies. notworthy.gif

QUOTE(kotmj @ Oct 6 2011, 03:04 PM)
What? All I saw at the payment counter were Gilette cartridges, and when I asked a lady at the counter about razor blades she said First Floor.
TScarbman
post Oct 6 2011, 07:10 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Oct 6 2011, 01:52 PM)

WTG below the chin IS awkward. I have to change hands.

Your MIC (made-in-China) brush, I imagine it to be reasonable stiff at the base but gets floppy at the tips, yes? Mine are stiff up to the tips...not nice lah. I think I'll make an order for those MIC silvertips now.

If you think BICs are dull, you don't wanna go for Nacets, much less those made-in-India blades. There's a reason why barbers change em after a single use.

I like the slotted-tin idea of disposing blades. But so far, I've been snapping the baldes into 2, and wrapping them um with layers of newspaper. Not ideal.

I wonder how my dad and brother are doing....
MeToo
post Oct 6 2011, 07:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,329 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Oct 6 2011, 07:10 PM)
If you think BICs are dull, you don't wanna go for Nacets, much less those made-in-India blades. There's a reason why barbers change em after a single use.
I think its more of a hygienic reason. I'm not going to get shaved with the same blade the bloke before me used!
kotmj
post Oct 10 2011, 03:54 PM

3,789 posts

I had the greatest shave ever on Saturday, but a lousy shave on Sunday with 3 nicks.

user posted image

I've come to realise that a large portion of why wet shaving is so nice has to do with the soap. The richness, the scent, etc. makes all the difference. The Colonel Ishabod Conk (what sort of parents call their baby Ishabod?) is a glycerin soap, and I'm thinking of getting a tallow soap next. Cella is one that contains real cow tallow.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.ph...Extra-Purissima

user posted image

BTW carbman, you may want to consider this brush. Olive wood is one of the most charismatic of woods.
http://www.olivia-seife.de/shop/hwherren/pinselundmugs.html

I can't stand the BIC. Going back to Feather ASAP.
attacusatlas
post Oct 10 2011, 04:14 PM

A Nasty Professional
2,348 posts

You all are so high end. i only have these in this regime
user posted image
kotmj
post Oct 10 2011, 04:49 PM

3,789 posts

I think everything you have in that pic is more expensive than what I have.

Do you shave yourself down there?
thteong82
post Oct 11 2011, 11:24 AM

Poor Guy
1,523 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Oct 10 2011, 03:54 PM)

Is BIC so worst? But for its price, I consider it well worth it. RM9 for 30 pcs.
Jet23sky
post Oct 11 2011, 12:12 PM

Love is Peace~~~~~
1,327 posts

Hi, I'm wondering comparing electric shaver and manual shaver, which is better? I have been using the manual since i first time shave, using Mach 3, but everytime i shave, it didn't shave cleaner, which still got abit over my face..

TScarbman
post Oct 12 2011, 05:52 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Oct 10 2011, 03:54 PM)

BTW carbman, you may want to consider this brush. Olive wood is one of the most charismatic of woods.
http://www.olivia-seife.de/shop/hwherren/pinselundmugs.html

They seem to not ship to Malaysia. Anyway, a friend has been racunned to start wetshaving, so I've ordered him a DE razor and a kilo of that italian shave soap. Ooohh....can't wait.

My week old Feathers is still sharp.....you're right, ther're awesome.
Guenhwyvar
post Oct 13 2011, 12:36 AM

Might be on tilt. Might be, I don't care.
1,600 posts

Hi guys, where to get Feather's then? Are they available at our local stores or must order online? unsure.gif
JupiterThunder
post Oct 13 2011, 10:43 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

using BIC shaver. no prob! nice and clean. lol
Cheenoo
post Oct 13 2011, 11:33 PM

Alpha as fuck
845 posts

QUOTE(JupiterThunder @ Oct 13 2011, 10:43 PM)
using BIC shaver. no prob! nice and clean. lol
This is not a place to farm for post count.
TScarbman
post Oct 14 2011, 07:54 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(Guenhwyvar @ Oct 13 2011, 12:36 AM)
Hi guys, where to get Feather's then? Are they available at our local stores or must order online?  unsure.gif
uturn
post Oct 14 2011, 12:15 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

Firstly, wanna thank carbman for starting this thread.
I gave up on wet shaving a few years ago due to bad quality of DE shavers that's made available here. It would become rusty after a couple of weeks use!
I haven't thought of sourcing for a DE shaver online before, due to unfimiliarity of online purchasing. However, this thread has spark that interest back.
Just a word of caution to those who have kids to make sure you guys keep this shavers well-outta their reach. DE razors cuts more easily then your conventional Mach3 razors. I still remember when i was a kid n getting a bad cut on my chin after being adventurous trying to use my granpa's old skool shaver.. blush.gif
Anyways, to those who still thinking whether to go DE or not..might wanna read this.. http://zenhabits.net/the-zen-of-shaving-ho...ange-your-life/
thteong82
post Oct 14 2011, 02:11 PM

Poor Guy
1,523 posts

Hey guys, is this good enough?

I prefer something that I could brought in Penang (Since Crabtree got a branch in Penang). So I don't need to depend too much on online transaction.

http://www.crabtree-evelyn.com/eng/categor...ng-creams-soaps

Or this, since my wife shop in this outlet a lot.

http://www.loccitane.com.my/shaving,42,1,4475,0.htm

This post has been edited by thteong82: Oct 14 2011, 02:15 PM
TScarbman
post Oct 14 2011, 09:27 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(thteong82 @ Oct 14 2011, 02:11 PM)
Hey guys, is this good enough?

I prefer something that I could brought in Penang (Since Crabtree got a branch in Penang). So I don't need to depend too much on online transaction.

http://www.crabtree-evelyn.com/eng/categor...ng-creams-soaps

Or this, since my wife shop in this outlet a lot.

http://www.loccitane.com.my/shaving,42,1,4475,0.htm
MAS hands out l'occitane toiletries for delayed baggage. Happened to me once. The cade shave cream doest lather at all. Not meant to, i guess, since its a travel pack. The c&e is better, but honestly the best shave cream i've tested that's sold locally is the maca root stuff from bodyshop. C&e's brush is ok, though.
thteong82
post Oct 17 2011, 01:27 PM

Poor Guy
1,523 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Oct 14 2011, 09:27 PM)
MAS hands out l'occitane toiletries for delayed baggage. Happened to me once. The cade shave cream doest lather at all. Not meant to, i guess, since its a travel pack.  The c&e is better, but honestly the best shave cream i've tested that's sold locally is the maca root stuff from bodyshop. C&e's brush is ok, though.
Didn't managed to visit C&E outlet on weekend.
But from website, it look like the C&E brush is from EJ also. thumbup.gif

Added on October 19, 2011, 10:12 amFound something from Singapore. Delivery should be faster than Amazon or Ebay.

http://www.doubleedgeshavingplace.com/

This post has been edited by thteong82: Oct 19 2011, 10:12 AM
TScarbman
post Oct 19 2011, 10:04 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(thteong82 @ Oct 17 2011, 01:27 PM)

Added on October 19, 2011, 10:12 amFound something from Singapore. Delivery should be faster than Amazon or Ebay.

Looks like they have a fair selection of blades....but I can't say the same about the razors, soaps or brushes. U be the specimen and try lah.

Anyway, speaking about delivery speed, my friend's EJ DE razor arrived today after only 7 days! I'm thinking aloud, but perhaps the customs people are already seeing the packages as 'same-seller, same-items, same receipient', and let them pass thru quickly.

Anyway, I also made an order for myself in the package, based on Kotmj's racunning. It looks something like this:

user posted image

I chickened out before getting the 1kg version, and decided to try the small pack first. The 1kg version:

user posted image

Will shave tonight.

BTW, Derby blades blow. As in suck. Moving on to the others in the sampler pack.

This post has been edited by carbman: Oct 19 2011, 10:04 PM
thteong82
post Oct 20 2011, 04:35 PM

Poor Guy
1,523 posts

Just a question.

Do you guys get BBS every shave?

I have a hard time try to get BBS on my neck. Always end up getting nicks.

P/S : Using EJ with BIC

And between, any of you guys using Alum block? Or better recommendation?

This post has been edited by thteong82: Oct 20 2011, 05:24 PM
TScarbman
post Oct 20 2011, 08:11 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(thteong82 @ Oct 20 2011, 04:35 PM)
Just a question.

Do you guys get BBS every shave?

I have a hard time try to get BBS on my neck. Always end up getting nicks.

P/S : Using EJ with BIC
And between, any of you guys using Alum block? Or better recommendation?
Its possible, but harder with the BICs. Try Feathers. If you get nicks, either you're applying too much pressure, shaving too aggressively, or not rpepping properly. I get an average of 1 nick a week.

Best aftershave I've used is Nivea's and Bodyshop's maca root.

BulletsStorm
post Oct 20 2011, 08:50 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

Hey guyz,,

I'm Artistic when it comes to shaving,

and i need to find a cool straight razor like this

user posted image

Does anyone have any idea please ??
jonny4
post Oct 20 2011, 08:50 PM

Regular
1,955 posts

Shaving with double edge safety razors needs skill I tell ya. Been 6 months since I been using a DE and I still get cuts once in a while especially when I'm in a rush.

Local pharmacies do sell styptic pencils right ?
thteong82
post Oct 20 2011, 09:28 PM

Poor Guy
1,523 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Oct 20 2011, 08:11 PM)
Its possible, but harder with the BICs.  Try Feathers.  If you get nicks, either you're applying too much pressure, shaving too aggressively, or not rpepping properly. I get an average of 1 nick a week.

Best aftershave I've used is Nivea's and Bodyshop's maca root.
Ok. Will order Feather and see how it goes. How you prepare actually? I bath with warm water. Then direct shave.
The cream is lather with warm water as well.

QUOTE(BulletsStorm @ Oct 20 2011, 08:50 PM)
Hey guyz,,

user posted image

This one is nice. Go Amazon search "straight razor".

QUOTE(jonny4 @ Oct 20 2011, 08:50 PM)
Shaving with double edge safety razors needs skill I tell ya. Been 6 months since I been using a DE and I still get cuts once in a while especially when I'm in a rush.

Local pharmacies do sell styptic pencils right ?
Yeah, would go to pharmacy tomorrow.
TScarbman
post Oct 22 2011, 05:32 PM

46 posts

The new shaving soap is AWESOME! Gave me the most dense lather ever. Will probably buy the 1kg pack.

jonny4
post Oct 22 2011, 06:13 PM

Regular
1,955 posts

Where can I get a stand/holder for my DE razor ? other than online means.
TScarbman
post Oct 22 2011, 08:14 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(jonny4 @ Oct 22 2011, 06:13 PM)
Where can I get a stand/holder for my DE razor ? other than online means.
U never read previous posts meh? vmad.gif
jonny4
post Oct 23 2011, 10:58 AM

Regular
1,955 posts

biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by jonny4: Oct 23 2011, 11:21 AM
thteong82
post Oct 24 2011, 09:43 PM

Poor Guy
1,523 posts

Finally get a BBS using BIC (Feather not yet arrive). No nicks at all.

Preparation is the key.

My preparation :
Bath > 2 x WTG > Clean face with warm water again > 2 x ATG

It's feel good.

ZinZan
post Oct 25 2011, 12:16 PM

10 posts

Hi guys, been lurking around reading some of the other threads ie shoes n bespoke. Good stuff.
For shaving i'm using Tabac soap, C&E cream and after shave and body hop synthetic brush but i'm only using Gillette Mach 3. Havent taken the plunge and bought a DE, I was thinking of EJ89L. But what i found even with the Mach 3, its abt the prepping ie lathering up n using warm water really helps a lot with the shave. The aerosol shaving cream is rubbish.
thteong82
post Oct 25 2011, 01:21 PM

Poor Guy
1,523 posts

QUOTE(ZinZan @ Oct 25 2011, 12:16 PM)
Hi guys, been lurking around reading some of the other threads ie shoes n bespoke. Good stuff.
For shaving i'm using Tabac soap, C&E cream and after shave and body hop synthetic brush but i'm only using Gillette Mach 3. Havent taken the plunge and bought a DE, I was thinking of EJ89L. But what i found even with the Mach 3, its abt the prepping ie lathering up n using warm water really helps a lot with the shave. The aerosol shaving cream is rubbish.
Last time, I change razor every year (since Gillette produce new razor every year) , and hope to get BBS shave.
Always ends up disappointing.

Stumble to this thread, it makes me so happy. It took me almost 15++ years to get my first BBS shave.
Try to change to badger brush, it feels so good. thumbup.gif
kotmj
post Oct 25 2011, 02:50 PM

3,789 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Oct 22 2011, 05:32 PM)
The new shaving soap is AWESOME! Gave me the most dense lather ever.  Will probably buy the 1kg pack.
I keep wanting to do it, it is not expensive, but I keep dragging my feet.
TScarbman
post Oct 25 2011, 06:02 PM

46 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Oct 25 2011, 02:50 PM)
I keep wanting to do it, it is not expensive, but I keep dragging my feet.
Shipping for the kilo pack is a killer, though. The soap has a consistency of a very, very dense putty. Very easy to lather. I keep dragging my feet when it comes to silvertip badger brushes.

dvng
post Oct 30 2011, 08:06 PM

Getting Started
213 posts

anyone know where I can find Old Spice lather shaving cream in KL?
redrabbit
post Nov 4 2011, 03:26 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(BulletsStorm @ Oct 20 2011, 08:50 PM)
Hey guyz,,

user posted image

Hi guys. i didnt notice this thread earlier,huhu.
anyway BulletsStorm,if you really wanted straight razors, I can get em here in penang.

new american razors(Gold Dollar brand) can be bought for +-RM130
new old stock(* a bit of metal stain) german razors (Friedr. Herder brand) go for +- Rm 120,
new chinese razor RM60

extra honing = +Rm20

PM me if you r interested.Others r invited as well smile.gif . I dont sell these, i know where to get em only. javascript:emoticon(':stars:')

Btw,Im looking for leather strop.do Pm me if u hv any info on strops =)

kei18kun
post Nov 8 2011, 12:41 AM

Coconut in the sea(TM)
5,149 posts

lol, didn't know there is so much science in shaving and the amount of gadget, looks cool after reading 7 pages of this stuff.

for me its simple though, just my gillette mach 3 with the blade that i have use for 1 year+, tried the other brand with titanium blade but i find it not that lasting like my gillette. i just shave after i bath with some gillete shaving cream. although i must find i don't get the clean look since its not a sharp blade. now i know how to get a clean look, may try it, thanks for sharing guys
NekoRacing
post Nov 15 2011, 04:41 PM

Casual
325 posts

Just noticed the thread. I'm wondering, how does one practice clean shaven face on daily basis?

I tried but couldn't, it hurts on the second day because the hair isn't fully grown yet. I wonder how do actors achieve a clean shaven face everyday, if you get what I mean.

Do they rely on electric shaver or conventional type?

I, myself use Gilette's 5 blade shaver along with the foam. It still hurts too much when I try to shave on the second day. I can only achieve a cleanly shaven face if I keep mine up to three days and then shave.

Thx
thteong82
post Nov 16 2011, 11:52 AM

Poor Guy
1,523 posts

Hi, Neko.

You can only have close shave or "BBS" (Google the terms), with DE or straight razor.

Using 5 or 3 blade, I didn't get BBS before.

Read this whole thread and understand what we guys doing. You would feel amazed with the shave result.

I monitor my shave with this. Put your palm and touch your beard area from bottom to top. If there is hair or stubble, then its not close shave.

For the clean shaven face, I always get it. But maybe my genetic problem, people still can see some grey shadow on my beard area, even though I already feel smooth face (no stubble at all).

This post has been edited by thteong82: Nov 16 2011, 11:52 AM
spyduh
post Mar 29 2012, 07:46 AM

Getting Started
124 posts

just to share... im a head shaver... yes i shave my own head daily... try using shaving gel instead of shaving cream...
wak_james92
post Mar 31 2012, 10:35 AM

Getting Started
79 posts

prefer scissors
TrustULoveU
post Apr 3 2012, 01:27 AM

Casual
393 posts

gillete?
Yushiro
post Apr 17 2012, 03:30 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(dvng @ Oct 30 2011, 08:06 PM)
anyone know where I can find Old Spice lather shaving cream in KL?
Haniffa Textiles, Jalan Masjid India.
sweeneyT
post May 8 2012, 12:35 PM

Getting Started
222 posts

QUOTE(Yushiro @ Apr 17 2012, 03:30 PM)
Haniffa Textiles, Jalan Masjid India.
Are you sure? and where can i get TABAC EDT?

Added on May 8, 2012, 12:38 pmHow to shave like your grandpa

Forgotten Colognes and Aftershaves

This post has been edited by sweeneyT: May 8 2012, 12:38 PM
Yushiro
post Jul 16 2012, 03:50 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(sweeneyT @ May 8 2012, 12:35 PM)
Are you sure? and where can i get TABAC EDT?

Added on May 8, 2012, 12:38 pmHow to shave like your grandpa

Forgotten Colognes and Aftershaves
Very sure. Bought a few tubes last time around. Tabac EDT is also available from the same place. Sorry about replying after so long. Fell off the face of the Earth for a bit tongue.gif

Added on July 16, 2012, 3:53 pmHi Gang. Uh..seems like this thread has been kinda dormant since April. Just a quick question tho. I recently got a Gillette Superspeed from the 60's I think. Cleaned up rather nicely. The problem is, the previous owner must have tried to burn the razor. So I now have a nicely functioning antique with burn marks mad.gif Anyone know where I can get this razor replated?

This post has been edited by Yushiro: Jul 16 2012, 03:53 PM
jonny4
post Jul 16 2012, 05:21 PM

Regular
1,955 posts

QUOTE(Yushiro @ Jul 16 2012, 03:50 PM)
Very sure. Bought a few tubes last time around. Tabac EDT is also available from the same place. Sorry about replying after so long. Fell off the face of the Earth for a bit tongue.gif

Added on July 16, 2012, 3:53 pmHi Gang. Uh..seems like this thread has been kinda dormant since April. Just a quick question tho. I recently got a Gillette Superspeed from the 60's I think. Cleaned up rather nicely. The problem is, the previous owner must have tried to burn the razor. So I now have a nicely functioning antique with burn marks  mad.gif  Anyone know where I can get this razor replated?
u shud try posting ur question at badger n blade. over here hard to get answers. i posted at B&B b4 n u will get a lot of help.
Yushiro
post Jul 17 2012, 12:24 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(jonny4 @ Jul 16 2012, 05:21 PM)
u shud try posting ur question at badger n blade. over here hard to get answers. i posted at B&B b4 n u will get a lot of help.
I posted it here because I was trying to source out a Malaysian Co to replate my razor. Very familiar with B&B. Been a member for years. But do not want to spend too much of money sending it out etc.
GreenJellyBean
post Aug 27 2012, 10:10 PM

Enthusiast
779 posts

Hi guys, I fell in love with wet shaving but find it very hard to source for good stuff like proraso, good blades and Edwin Jagger DE razor. I was thinking to order in bulk to save on delivery and then trying to sell in Lowyat forum.

stuff like
Proraso Pre Pos Shave CreamProraso Pre Post Shave Cream

I think I can get it shipped to Malaysia and sell for less than RM80

Do you think it is worth the effort?
Catnip
post Aug 28 2012, 03:17 AM

Enthusiast
744 posts

Old skool shaving?
Try dry or wet shaving with a honed and stropped knife like a real man. tongue.gif

er650
post Sep 3 2012, 05:03 PM

8 posts

Thanks to d thread starter, I've ordered d following

Edwin Jagger DE89L Lined Chrome $ 38.00
Omega Shaving Cream and Brush with Stand Kit $ 15.00
Edwin Jagger Nickel Plated Razor Stand $ 17.00
Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades (100 Blades)$ 20.00
Subtotal: $ 90.00
Discount(s): $ 0.00
Taxes: $ 0.00
Shipping:$ 22.04
TOTAL:$112.04

GreenJellyBean
post Nov 17 2012, 08:57 PM

Enthusiast
779 posts

Where do you guys buy d soap online?

lazarus7247
post Nov 20 2012, 10:42 AM

Getting Started
276 posts

They buy it from west coast shaving. If you want to source it locally, can try Crabtree and Evelyn.
lazarus7247
post Nov 23 2012, 12:47 AM

Getting Started
276 posts

If anybody wants to bulk some Italian/English shaving creams/soap online please let me know. I'm interested to get Cella, TOBS and MWF.
kmoh4346
post Nov 23 2012, 10:43 PM

Casual
323 posts

QUOTE(lazarus7247 @ Nov 23 2012, 12:47 AM)
If anybody wants to bulk some Italian/English shaving creams/soap online please let me know. I'm interested to get Cella, TOBS and MWF.
which website are you getting it from?
lazarus7247
post Nov 24 2012, 12:57 AM

Getting Started
276 posts

QUOTE(kmoh4346 @ Nov 23 2012, 10:43 PM)
which website are you getting it from?
Probably from john's west coast shaving.
kmoh4346
post Nov 24 2012, 08:19 AM

Casual
323 posts

QUOTE(lazarus7247 @ Nov 24 2012, 12:57 AM)
Probably from john's west coast shaving.
Im interested but how does it work? do we get cheaper by bulk ? cheaper to order directly ship to our individual address?
lazarus7247
post Nov 26 2012, 02:37 PM

Getting Started
276 posts

Hmm i think we can only save in shipping fees. Not much though.
kmoh4346
post Nov 27 2012, 06:59 PM

Casual
323 posts

QUOTE(lazarus7247 @ Nov 26 2012, 02:37 PM)
Hmm i think we can only save in shipping fees. Not much though.
I guess so, the time you want to ship it out for the rest, the cost would not be practical.

But, what are you planning to purchase?
Jujju
post Jan 3 2013, 12:04 PM

34 posts

Just went to haniffa 30 mins ago, they have plenty Gillette laser and super max blades some Wilkinson swords at the counter also. Got myself some blades to try out and also tabac and old spice cream.
g3n0c|d3
post Jan 3 2013, 02:07 PM

hai hai... kazuma dayo....
6,418 posts

QUOTE(Jujju @ Jan 3 2013, 12:04 PM)
Just went to haniffa 30 mins  ago, they have plenty Gillette laser and super max blades some Wilkinson swords at the counter also. Got myself some blades to try out and also tabac and old spice cream.
old spice.... now thats manly.... brows.gif
jonny4
post Jan 3 2013, 02:32 PM

Regular
1,955 posts

QUOTE(Jujju @ Jan 3 2013, 12:04 PM)
Just went to haniffa 30 mins  ago, they have plenty Gillette laser and super max blades some Wilkinson swords at the counter also. Got myself some blades to try out and also tabac and old spice cream.
how much were the tabac n old spice shaving creams ?
Jujju
post Jan 3 2013, 03:20 PM

34 posts

Old spice is 4.90 if I'm not wrong, 70gm tube + free 30gm. Tabac is 14.90. Price should be there, I'm recalling this from the top of my head.

For old spice they have 3 variation, the Musk, Original and Fresh lime. And also after shave old spice. You can find all this on the 1st floor, go all the way straight to the end there's a shaver rack/wall. It's all there. Even the big packs of blades, 100/200 pcs packs. Smaller packs can be bought from the cashier on same floor.
Some nylon brushes and China razors.

This post has been edited by Jujju: Jan 3 2013, 04:53 PM
vans1088
post Jan 25 2013, 01:41 PM

Getting Started
68 posts

any idea where to get that shaving brush? smile.gif
rmshnr
post Feb 6 2013, 03:54 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(thteong82 @ Oct 4 2011, 01:41 PM)
Anyone know where can get the shaving cream and blades like example above at Penang?
You may find some blades and cream in Mydin Stores at Penang Road, (next to the Penang Police Contingent Headquarters).
AwayFromHome
post Feb 6 2013, 07:16 PM

2 posts

Hi Guys - I would advice getting the best razor you can afford and the best shaving cream. Don't scrimp on this as you will be using it a lot. Change blades when you start to feel a pull during shaving - don't leave it until the next shave as this is when you get problems. Get a very good aftershave cream and you should be good to go.
zorroady
post Feb 15 2013, 01:04 AM

4 posts

Hi,..where can i find to buy any type of SAFETY RAZOR SHAVER in Selangor or near Kuala lumpur??????old skool maa..

such as...GOODFELLA,PARKER or MERKUR???the most good stuff..
rupart
post Feb 17 2013, 02:11 PM

Casual
421 posts

QUOTE(zorroady @ Feb 15 2013, 01:04 AM)
Hi,..where can i find to buy any type of SAFETY RAZOR SHAVER in Selangor or near Kuala lumpur??????old skool maa..

such as...GOODFELLA,PARKER or MERKUR???the most good stuff..
Have you checked out this guys thread? http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2669808/all

He is selling some stuff....I have just got my goodfella and kauri stand...they r awesome...
zorroady
post Feb 18 2013, 01:41 AM

4 posts

QUOTE(rupart @ Feb 17 2013, 02:11 PM)
Have you checked out this guys thread? http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2669808/all

He is selling some stuff....I have just got my goodfella and kauri stand...they r awesome...
allrite bro.thanks..but can iknow the price for GOODFELLA safety razor??is there any others brand stuff for safey razor???thanks
zorroady
post Feb 18 2013, 01:42 AM

4 posts

yestrday i just brought the new set of safety razor..rm 1.50 only...china brand..

waa...my face get bruist and harden to get shave with that stuff!!!
rupart
post Feb 18 2013, 06:32 AM

Casual
421 posts

QUOTE(zorroady @ Feb 18 2013, 01:41 AM)
allrite bro.thanks..but can iknow the price for GOODFELLA safety razor??is there any others brand stuff for safey razor???thanks
Did you check out the thread? the price is MYR210 including shipping...cheapest was westcoastshaving SUD60..but after convert + shipping this guy's appear to be cheaper..

rupart
post Feb 18 2013, 06:33 AM

Casual
421 posts

QUOTE(zorroady @ Feb 18 2013, 01:42 AM)
yestrday i just brought the new set of safety razor..rm 1.50 only...china brand..

waa...my face get bruist and harden to get shave with that stuff!!!
Bro, you using cheap stuff to ruin your face? Common thatz the part you want to give the best care..

use the cheap ones to shave ketiaks, others...LOL
nick67
post Feb 24 2013, 06:34 PM

What?
1,468 posts

Hello, I would like to try out this wet shave as my electric shaver can never give me the smooth shave at all.

What would be recommended for a beginner? I'm looking for entry-level stuff, before plunging in with hundreds of ringgit.
rupart
post Mar 1 2013, 05:36 PM

Casual
421 posts

BBS smooth shave is kinda expert level...you have to start with DFS or Clean Shave steps first...and not all will get that BBS...but with practice you may...how about Merkur/Parker/EJ? They have good entry models around 100ish...
ShaveNBeam
post Mar 3 2013, 05:55 PM

8 posts

Those thinking wet shaving...pls cast your vote here poll..thank you!!

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2722438
ShaveNBeam
post Mar 5 2013, 07:24 AM

8 posts

Old-fashioned wet shaving is back in style
The niche market for traditional wet shaving is growing quickly. Men share techniques on blogs and YouTube videos, more barber schools open, and razor maker Gillette joins the action.

Read More here
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jan/03/bu...having-20120103
jonny4
post Mar 6 2013, 03:50 PM

Regular
1,955 posts

guys that use straight razors, i have a question.

is it easier to shape sideburns/facial hair with a straight razor ?

getting that straight horizontal line at the end of the sideburns has always been hard 4 me. those multi blade razors were hopeless. my Gillette Super Adjustable fared better although the shape made it hard to shape sideburns.

zorroady
post Mar 11 2013, 03:32 PM

4 posts

QUOTE(rupart @ Feb 17 2013, 02:11 PM)

mr. i already Pm that selling stuff guy,but didnt get any respon..can u pm me that guy fon number???which area yup??
ShaveNBeam
post Mar 13 2013, 08:46 AM

8 posts

Please find the attached pdf for extensive list of products that are available to choose from ie Muhle, TOBS, TABAC,Omega, CRS, Simpsons etc...more than 100s to choose from ...like us in FB and contact us there if you find anything interests you..use CODE as reference for queries..

Thank you!!

This post has been edited by ShaveNBeam: Mar 13 2013, 08:57 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Products.pdf ( 300.47k ) Number of downloads: 84
subangman
post Mar 29 2013, 09:33 PM

On my way
562 posts

QUOTE(jonny4 @ Jan 3 2013, 02:32 PM)
how much were the tabac n old spice shaving creams ?
user posted image
photo sharing websites RM 4.90 at Haniffa Sdn Bhd (70gm)
subangman
post Mar 29 2013, 09:36 PM

On my way
562 posts

QUOTE(GreenJellyBean @ Nov 17 2012, 08:57 PM)
Where do you guys buy d soap online?
user posted image
image hosting sites.

Packing :- 100ml .

Made in Germany... a sold out item in Ozland. value from money comparing to the Palmolive Shaven Cream made in Aust.

Price :- RM 10.30/=

This post has been edited by subangman: Mar 29 2013, 09:38 PM
subangman
post Mar 29 2013, 09:44 PM

On my way
562 posts

Been using this since my MidEast days... dun know where to get it around town.

This is my last tube.. Like it very much.

Been searching around ASEAN shore seems not available..

Any taikor came across this kindly pls advise. thumbup.gif

user posted image
free picture hosting

This post has been edited by subangman: Mar 29 2013, 09:45 PM
subangman
post Mar 29 2013, 10:13 PM

On my way
562 posts

QUOTE(Guenhwyvar @ Oct 13 2011, 12:36 AM)
Hi guys, where to get Feather's then? Are they available at our local stores or must order online?  unsure.gif
The nearest store .. SINGAPORE.

http://www.hairizon.com.sg/Feather/Feather...nless-Razor.htm
subangman
post Mar 29 2013, 10:17 PM

On my way
562 posts

My shaving kit more than 20yrs. Gift set from my HM.

user posted image
upload photos ..
subangman
post Mar 29 2013, 10:23 PM

On my way
562 posts

My newly arrived travel shaving kit . Merkur 23C- Double razor.

user posted image
upload pic
subangman
post Mar 29 2013, 10:58 PM

On my way
562 posts

QUOTE(vans1088 @ Jan 25 2013, 01:41 PM)
any idea where to get that shaving brush? smile.gif
Trufitt & Hill ... Bangsar Shopping Centre.

http://www.esquire.my/Style/Grooming/artic...ill-comes-to-KL
subangman
post Mar 29 2013, 11:15 PM

On my way
562 posts

icon_question.gif Taikor here pls advise.

where to get styptic pencil[U] in klang valley.

Been trying to get one for a long time.

Guardian/Watson/caring... dun carry any.

http://www.google.com.my/search?q=styptic+...iw=1366&bih=610

Thank you.
arryansari
post Apr 5 2013, 06:00 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(subangman @ Mar 30 2013, 12:15 AM)
icon_question.gif Taikor here pls advise.

where to get styptic pencil[U] in klang valley.

Been trying to get one for a long time.

Guardian/Watson/caring... dun carry any.

http://www.google.com.my/search?q=styptic+...iw=1366&bih=610
Thank you.
friend...go to this http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2669808

our taiko there..

so where did u buy the safety razor in selangor ya??good branded...

did u hear GILLETE SUPER NACET PLATINUM COATED??alligator images one..hehe..is it ok??
subangman
post Apr 9 2013, 09:29 AM

On my way
562 posts

QUOTE(arryansari @ Apr 5 2013, 06:00 PM)
friend...go to this http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2669808

our taiko there..

so where did u buy the safety razor in selangor ya??good branded...

did u hear GILLETE SUPER NACET PLATINUM COATED??alligator images one..hehe..is it ok??
I got my Merkur travel kit and Persona blades direct from US and the old one from Aust during my uni days.... more than 20yrs ago.

I managed to find some Gillete Willkinson blades but made from Thai... not that sharp compare to Persona / feather blades. icon_rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by subangman: Apr 9 2013, 09:31 AM
littlebeettle
post Jun 24 2013, 03:20 PM

Regular
1,098 posts

Decided to return to an old school shaving.
Got this blade customize from The Philippines (Batangas province)

user posted image

user posted image
zamorin
post Jun 24 2013, 03:34 PM

Resident Carouser
6,775 posts

Guys, just be careful while using the straight razor. It just takes a second of carelessness to end up with a big cut on your face. I"m sticking to my DE shaver. It's so much safer and gives almost the same close cut as a straight razor.
littlebeettle
post Jun 25 2013, 04:04 PM

Regular
1,098 posts

QUOTE(zamorin @ Jun 24 2013, 03:34 PM)
Guys, just be careful while using the straight razor. It just takes a second of carelessness to end up with a big cut on your face. I"m sticking to my DE shaver. It's so much safer and gives almost the same close cut as a straight razor.
Thanks for the safety note..

Indeed must be a steady hand and precise cut.. tongue.gif
zamorin
post Jun 26 2013, 11:02 AM

Resident Carouser
6,775 posts

Yeah, else you end up with a precise cut....on your face shocking.gif

This post has been edited by zamorin: Jun 26 2013, 11:05 AM
ukguy
post Jun 28 2013, 12:03 AM

6 posts

Wow, so happy to see this thread smile.gif

I'm from the UK (spot the user name..) and love the Old Skool shaving. My weapon of choice is a vintage 1960 Gillette "Fatboy" Adjustable.

The locally-bought 'Nacet' blades are horrid. Derbys are cheap but not much better than Nacet.

Really I find the blades last quite awhile and I'm *still* using blades from a sampler pack! Typically each blade lasts me around 4-5 shaves. Note though that I shave my head as well as my face.

Currently I'm using 'Shark Stainless' blades. Seem pretty good, nothing special but nothing wrong with them either. Main thing is my razor allows me to adjust just how aggressive it is. With a new blade I use setting 3, as it dulls I wind it up to 4 then 5, taking extra care because more blade is exposed.

I've never once cut myself using the Fatboy, though certainly did using the local Chinese rubbish razors! I had one that cost me 7 ringgit and it. cut. me. every. single. time.

For my brush I have a synthetic Bodyshop thing, which is good for hard soaps, for softer soaps and creams I use a Silvertip Badger purchased from Ebay.

Let me answer some of the more common questions I've seen here:

1. Better than electric? Absolutely better! Note it's not called "wet shaving" for nothing though, as there's a lot more water and lather and stuff. Best done without a shirt on - but if you use electric you also know you can get that horrid grey hair-dust down your shirt, which I think is even worse!

2. Close shave? Part of the fun with a DE razor is you can shave closely but not TOO closely. That means you soon get stubble again but on the up-side you don't get the pimples, razor burn, lumps and bumps and ingrowing hairs that you get with the Mach3/4/5 or 6..

If you want really close than do 2 or 3 passes, first with the direction of growth, then directly against it.

3. Speed. DE shaving is relatively slow, and is about taking your time, taking care of yourself and your face, and refusing to let the world rush you. If you're a real man and in charge of yourself and your life then it's no biggie to get up 20 minutes earlier and enjoy a great shave, true? It's much better than being out of control and needing to slap your own face with a Mach3/4/5/6 and foam in a can, because you "don't have time".

You're a man, you're in charge of yourself and in charge of your time. If you really cannot make 20 minutes for your own face then grow a beard, which is also manly.

4. Straight Razor? I too toyed with the idea but trust me, the potential injuries (to your fingers and other parts as well as your face and neck) are far more serious than you might expect. We're not talking "nicks", you can easily slice veins, nerves and tendons.

You can also get multiple scars on your face from "minor" cuts. One or two scars may be bad-ass and you can say with pride "I shave with a straight razor blade". By 3 scars you're looking a bit silly though and 4 scars just makes you look an idiot. How stupid would you look with 5 scars? 6?

Using something like my Gillette Fatboy on the number 8 or 9 setting will give you all the shaving benefits of a straight razor, without constantly having to sharpen the thing and without the sliced fingers and scarred face.

You still get the old skool traditional gentlemanly feel, you still get to be different, you can still indulge in the luxury soaps and balms and expensive brushes and all that good stuff.

Gillette invented the 'safety DE razor' around 100 years ago. The open "straight" razor is only for a barber shaving someone else. Shaving yourself with it is stupid and dangerous when you can buy a vintage razor, more than 50 years old, which is safer!

Happy shaves! icon_rolleyes.gif

UKG
ShaveNBeam
post Jun 28 2013, 04:00 AM

8 posts

Good post UKGuy

Same like you...myself head and face too ..with DEs

Ah...Fatboy....fancying one ...hopefully will manage to win auction or snap somewhere soon...

This post has been edited by ShaveNBeam: Jun 28 2013, 04:00 AM
daijoubu
post Jul 3 2013, 12:22 PM

Love Many. Trust Few. Do Wrong to None.
5,145 posts

Guys, anyone interested in buying the Cella Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima?

If say I were to buy 1kg and split it up to 150g for sale to spread my costs, anyone here interested?
jonny4
post Jul 3 2013, 11:23 PM

Regular
1,955 posts

I dun have much facial hair. cant even grow thick sideburns. i got those typical chinese sideburns. mustache, soul patch n some chin hairs is all i can grow. sparse. but each hair is thick so i need to shave daily.

i used to use a DE razor. i been using disposables for the past 6 months.

I feel like going back to using DE razor or maybe try straight razor but sometimes i think those kind of razors r more suited for guys that have a lot of facial hair. all d pre shave prep to shave so lil facial hair seems pointless n troublesome.

what u guys think ?
patryn33
post Jul 4 2013, 04:01 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,940 posts

What kind of DE razor u using?
I am your typical Chinese guy, little facial hair.
I like pre shave oil when I have hair growing for > 3 days.
U have to wet the hair with very warm water then apply oil, wait a min and splash warm water on it again b4 shave.
Not troublesome for me and I am using muhle R41. R89 is too mild for me already, of I not careful I may get a cut going bottom up when shaving above my lip.

This post has been edited by patryn33: Jul 4 2013, 04:03 AM
jonny4
post Jul 4 2013, 10:49 AM

Regular
1,955 posts

QUOTE(patryn33 @ Jul 4 2013, 04:01 AM)
What kind of DE razor u using?
I am your typical Chinese guy, little facial hair.
I like pre shave oil when I have hair growing for > 3 days.
U have to wet the hair with very warm water then apply oil, wait a min and splash warm water on it again b4 shave.
Not troublesome for me and I am using muhle R41. R89 is too mild for me already, of I  not careful I may get a cut going bottom up when shaving above my lip.
A Gillette Super Adjustable (70s model i think).

seems tedious those steps. i seem to be getting along fine by washing face den apply shave gel n shaving with Schick Exacta 2 disposable.
patryn33
post Jul 4 2013, 11:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,940 posts

Yes a little more work but I like it more than those disposable. It's also cheaper than your Schick Exacta 2.
15-20 rm can get 100 blades, each can go for 3-5 shaves.
Some ppl don't use pre shave oil at all, just shaving soap!
All u need is a cheap brush and a nice soap.

This post has been edited by patryn33: Jul 4 2013, 06:08 PM
daijoubu
post Jul 4 2013, 12:13 PM

5,145 posts

QUOTE(jonny4 @ Jul 4 2013, 10:49 AM)
A Gillette Super Adjustable (70s model i think).

seems tedious those steps. i seem to be getting along fine by washing face den apply shave gel n shaving with Schick Exacta 2 disposable.
Its perfectly fine to stick with a disposable or cartridge shaving if you are comfortable with it smile.gif. In fact if you do not have much facial hair, and you don't shave often (once or twice a week), then maybe you will find it tedious, but I personally find using a brush, shaving cream and DE blade to be something much more enjoyable than normal cartridge shaving. I shave every 2 days once.

Are you interested in selling the super adjustable if you are not using? =D

jonny4
post Jul 4 2013, 10:49 PM

Regular
1,955 posts

QUOTE(daijoubu @ Jul 4 2013, 12:13 PM)
Its perfectly fine to stick with a disposable or cartridge shaving if you are comfortable with it smile.gif. In fact if you do not have much facial hair, and you don't shave often (once or twice a week), then maybe you will find it tedious, but I personally find using a brush, shaving cream and DE blade to be something much more enjoyable than normal cartridge shaving. I shave every 2 days once.

Are you interested in selling the super adjustable if you are not using? =D
yea i guess i shud just stick to disposables for d time being.

d Gillette has much sentimental value as it belonged to my late grandfather. he left another 2 more Gillette DE razors way back from d 1940s...unused n one even came in a box set with brush. im looking to restore that one as there is a lot of oxidization.

they just dun make razors like they used to.
daijoubu
post Jul 5 2013, 08:51 AM

5,145 posts

ah family heirloom smile.gif. in that case you should preserve it, and do use it from time to time just to keep the tradition going. hopefully one fine day in the future, you can pass that down to your son and teach him wetshaving too smile.gif
rupart
post Aug 3 2013, 02:26 PM

Casual
421 posts

QUOTE(patryn33 @ Jul 4 2013, 11:23 AM)
Yes a little more work but I like it more than those disposable. It's also cheaper than your Schick Exacta 2.
15-20 rm can get 100 blades, each can go for 3-5 shaves.
Some ppl don't use pre shave oil at all, just shaving soap!
All u need is a cheap brush and a nice soap.
I dont use pre shave oil but quality and type of brush really matters ....my old cheap horse brush feel thorny now...it have end of life from my tools use cycle..lol

soap/cream/gel all works.....there are many options...from cheapest to expensive....just try all...MARCH on and enjoy!

This post has been edited by rupart: Aug 3 2013, 02:28 PM
jonny4
post Aug 7 2013, 04:27 PM

Regular
1,955 posts

Bought a can of Old Spice shaving foam from Mydin for RM8.90. pretty big can too, 310g. Made in Canada.

It has a very masculine scent. nothing like the scent of the usual Nivea or Gillette shaving foams. the foam is very dense straight out of the can.

however performance wise it did a slightly better job than my usual Schick n Nivea. it still feels like the foam floats on top of the facial hair n this makes my shaves kinda "dry".
daijoubu
post Aug 12 2013, 05:46 PM

5,145 posts

QUOTE(jonny4 @ Aug 7 2013, 04:27 PM)
Bought a can of Old Spice shaving foam from Mydin for RM8.90. pretty big can too, 310g. Made in Canada.

It has a very masculine scent. nothing like the scent of the usual Nivea or Gillette shaving foams. the foam is very dense straight out of the can.

however performance wise it did a slightly better job than my usual Schick n Nivea. it still feels like the foam floats on top of the facial hair n this makes my shaves kinda "dry".
Thats actually the reason why I've started to really like face lathering with a brush. It seems that the lather is right on your skin, at close as it can get, instead of just floating on it =D.
TankerGadget Store
post Sep 15 2013, 11:43 PM

Getting Started
222 posts

u guys make me feel so jealous ... i wanted to grow my mustache so much !! how to grow it quickly pls inbox me !!! seriously need help my gf complaining i am not man enough so i need to put on fake mustache sometimes ... its quite embarrassing ==
Currency Wars
post Sep 17 2013, 10:22 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(TankerGadget Store @ Sep 15 2013, 10:43 PM)
u  guys make me feel so jealous ... i wanted to grow my mustache so much !! how to grow it quickly pls inbox me !!! seriously need help my gf complaining i am not man enough so i need to put on fake mustache sometimes ... its quite embarrassing ==
Unfortunately there's no other way for u to grow a moustache my friend.But IMO once u switch to Wet Shaving u definitely will see the improvement of your facial hair growth due to the cutting edge of the hair with a single blade and i have seen a few cases with improvement of facial hair growth with some folks switching to safety razor.U may try
zamorin
post Sep 25 2013, 01:38 PM

Resident Carouser
6,775 posts

QUOTE(TankerGadget Store @ Sep 15 2013, 11:43 PM)
u  guys make me feel so jealous ... i wanted to grow my mustache so much !! how to grow it quickly pls inbox me !!! seriously need help my gf complaining i am not man enough so i need to put on fake mustache sometimes ... its quite embarrassing ==
Ironic. I sometimes wish I had no facial hair at all. It's so time-consuming having to shave every other day. Anyway I don't think moustache alone makes one manly.....Bruce Lee didn't have a moustache. Anyway this a genetical issue. Maybe you can try some hair growth tonic.

This post has been edited by zamorin: Sep 25 2013, 01:40 PM
Cryptic
post Sep 27 2013, 02:13 PM

Getting Started
274 posts

using a Edwin Jagger DE89l. loving it! =D
daijoubu
post Oct 1 2013, 12:54 AM