Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Old skool shaving, Best and closest shave ever

views

niakulah
post Sep 15 2015, 12:18 PM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(ZinZan @ Oct 6 2014, 10:31 PM)
Only online. Go connought shaving the cheapest around and cheap shipping. Kl consumables blades, shaving soap.
Thanks for pointing out Connaught Shaving!

After reading this thread about 2 years back, I ditched my Mach 3 for a cheap "Laser" brand DE razor I got at Mydin. Dirt cheap and smoother shave. Then it fell and broke...

I bought these:
http://connaughtshaving.com/sssr.html
http://connaughtshaving.com/popular.html
http://connaughtshaving.com/allumblock.html

All for about RM135 delivered.

Now I am a happy shavette user. Much smoother than my cheap DE razor.

Shavette > Laser DE > Mach3
niakulah
post Sep 22 2015, 09:17 AM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(gamenoob @ Sep 21 2015, 11:32 AM)
I think it have to do with the technology improvement I guess... yes Cartridge is expensive but some how DE give a more nick and cuts as it is sharper on DE and also fixed DE head.

Then again, Mach 3 is cheap enough and you can use it shave other part of body with ease...  thumbup.gif
I found that after a few months using the DE razor, it was actually easier and more comfortable to shave other body parts than using the Mach 3. I was pleasantly surprised to find no itchiness after shaving more sensitive areas with the DE.

The shavette is just as comfortable, but a bit tricky. Need more practice I guess.
niakulah
post Dec 11 2015, 05:17 PM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(LiangZhuge @ Dec 11 2015, 02:34 PM)
Just started using DE but with a China made Razor, still sourcing for a good razor smile.gif.

Just wondering how do you guys dispose the DE blades properly ? Hopefully you guys just don't wrap and throw in the trash can ?
That's what I do.

You want a better way of doing it Google "blade bank". Here's a very cheap one:
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Double-Edg...-Bank_p_45.html
niakulah
post Dec 11 2015, 11:02 PM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(kitkatjapan @ Dec 11 2015, 09:00 PM)
How do you use that shavette? Do you have to break the de blades in half?
Yes. Just snap them while they're still wrapped up in the paper.
niakulah
post Dec 12 2015, 04:55 PM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(kitkatjapan @ Dec 12 2015, 10:52 AM)
Interesting. But feels scary at the same time to use a straight razor
If you have been using DE then it isn't a big deal. I felt more scared going from Mach 3 to DE TBH.
niakulah
post Dec 12 2015, 07:34 PM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(kitkatjapan @ Dec 12 2015, 07:17 PM)
I am a DE user. How does the shavette compare to DE in terms of techniques? Is the shavette aggressive?
Technique wise I only have some issues following the grain on my neck. Some angles are just not achievable with the shavette fully extended because the end of the handle will either hit my chin or my chest. Having the shavette only half open at a 90 degree angle is a bit unwieldy. So I just shave in the most convenient direction. The shave is smooth enough that I don't feel I am making a compromise.

My shavette is no more aggressive than the cheap Indian made Laser DE I was using. That's the only DE I've ever used though, so I don't have much else to compare to. This is based on the same blades.

Although when paired with certain blades in the sampler pack I bought, the shavette is very very aggressive. Feather blades especially.
niakulah
post Feb 28 2016, 10:26 AM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Feb 28 2016, 09:45 AM)
Didn't know there was a thread on this. I'm currently using a Phillips electric razor (cost around RM 700+ I think) and while it does it's job ok enough I've been reading about DE razors and how much better they are.

I saw a Feather razor on Massdrop. Apparently it's regarded as one of the best 'mild' shavers, i.e. one that is not too aggressive to your skin and is suited for those with sensitive skin. Paired with an ultra sharp Feather blade its supposed to bring a close shave while not destroying the skin. Now the price is... USD 145 after the discount. RRP is USD 210. That's a pretty expensive razor, but I'm tempted. It will be my first DE razor.

But I'll have to research a bit before taking the plunge though. Not sure if I can get Feather blades in Malaysia, or how much it takes to ship them here. Also need to consider shaving soaps and brush. All I see here are the Gillete foams.

The link to the Massdrop Feather deal. You have to register at Massdrop before you can see it though.

http://dro.ps/b/nBf4NiA
Try out a cheap DE razor from your local Indian kedai runcit or Mydin before you take the plunge.

That's what I did, and I liked it so much I kept using it for 2 years! That RM6 made in India DE razor was so much better than my Mach3.
niakulah
post Feb 28 2016, 10:29 AM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(biloxee @ Feb 28 2016, 12:25 AM)
Guys, where do you buy your DE blades from?
Are Feather DE blades avail in MY?
connaughtshaving.com

Don't know any local shop with Feather blades though.
niakulah
post Feb 29 2016, 08:38 AM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(biloxee @ Feb 29 2016, 07:57 AM)
Are you going to upgrade to a straight razor?
I'm getting the Chinese ZY 430 razor off the bay as soon as the black one is back in stock in a couple of weeks.
Seems to be getting okay reviews and can be honed. Cheap too.  biggrin.gif

user posted image
Not likely. Unless someone can convince me what advantages does a straight razor have over a shavette, other than bragging rights.

Form factor? Both are exactly the same.

Sharpness? IF you have mad skills, maybe you can hone and strop a straight razor to be sharper than the edge of a disposable blade, but I doubt it.

Time? Changing the blade vs honing every once in a while and stroping before or after every shave. Shavette wins hands down.

Comfort? Smoothness of shave? These are the unknowns to me which would require me to try before giving an opinion. But considering the above, I'm not tempted to.
niakulah
post Mar 1 2016, 10:18 AM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Feb 29 2016, 11:45 PM)
Is this generally regarded as the best site for shipping to Malaysia?
It's the only one I've tried and it was recommended both in this thread and a similar thread on thekerbau.
<-- no content -->
niakulah
post Mar 3 2016, 03:29 PM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(LuisLou @ Mar 3 2016, 11:08 AM)
razor burns hurts like hell .. and especially if u draw blood while shaving too sad.gif
Agreed. I used to hate shaving. I used to shave only once a week on Sunday night because my face and neck would be red after shaving.

At the time I was using Mach 3 and normal supermarket shaving foam/gel.

Then I tried a DE razor and wow! No more burns! I even ditched the shaving foam/gel and only used hot water.

Im never going back to cartridge razors again. Single blade is so much better than 2/3/4/5 blades.
niakulah
post Apr 7 2016, 02:36 PM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(biloxee @ Apr 7 2016, 02:28 PM)
One of my mint Gillette Slims has arrived...
user posted image
That looks frickin awesome!
niakulah
post Oct 3 2016, 11:11 AM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(kutitata @ Oct 1 2016, 10:43 AM)
agreed

using plastic disposable at the moment,

what can you suggest for newbie?

1) DE8911

2) Razor blades?
I started with this:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.ph...azor-From-India

RM7.99 at Mydin during pre-GST time. Way better than the Mach 3 it replaced, even with the cheap blades.
niakulah
post Oct 21 2016, 09:48 AM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(biloxee @ Oct 19 2016, 05:23 PM)
History of the Alum Block
The alum block is the original antiseptic aftershave which contains mineral salts that were originally used by the ancient Egyptians more than four thousand years ago for its healing and antiseptic properties.

How does an Alum Block work?
The Alum block salts stop bleeding by constricting blood vessels and tightening pores.

Other Uses For Alum Blocks
Using an Alum Block as an Anti Persperant - a Natural Deodorant
For centuries people in the middle and far east have known that applying an Alum Block to the underarms will give excellent odour and sweat protection, an added benefit is it is 100% natural. An Alum Block is ideal for those who wish to use a natural antiperspirant. Apply the Alum Block to the underarms for a totally reliable, non antiperspirant. Alum Blocks are non-scented so you can still use your favourite scented deodorant. Alum Blocks are highly effective in controlling excess sweating.

Source: The A-Z of Shaving
Anyone use these as post shave alum?
[attachmentid=7815911]

http://www.watsons.com.my/Personal-Care/An...-60g/p/BP_46575
https://online.guardian.com.my/index.php/pb...ll-on-60gm.html
https://online.guardian.com.my/index.php/pb...l-on-120gm.html
Didn't realise we have this available in our local pharmacies. I'm using alum post shave, and just ordered some more from Connaught Shaving.
niakulah
post Nov 21 2016, 09:31 AM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(latlawlim @ Nov 20 2016, 11:16 PM)
Hi Bro,

Thinking of getting my first safety razor from connaught shaving, is it safe to choose the normal shipping method instead of the one with tracking? Do u usually choose the tracking option ? haha trying to see i can save on the shipping or not .. the prices at connaught very the attractive hehe! rclxms.gif

excited to ditch all my 2 blades painful plastic razors lol!

thanks!
I have placed another order with them since that post. Both I used normal shipping. No problems and quite fast. A bit more than a week to get to me.
niakulah
post Apr 23 2017, 09:03 PM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Apr 23 2017, 08:26 PM)
Well after buying the AS-D2, I needed a shaving cream and brush, so I'm planning on getting the following:

1. Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream - Avocado (GBP 7.50)
http://connaughtshaving.com/tayscb.html

2. Edwin Jagger EJ28 synthetic brush (GBP 27.50)
http://connaughtshaving.com/3ej282synst.html

Any thoughts or comments before I commit? Thanks.
Bro

Just a quick experiment before you buy. Try using oil. Just dip 3 fingertips in it and massage it into your face before shaving. Best is argan, grapeseed or virgin coconut oil, but you can try with normal cooking oil if you don't have any of those.

I tried it and never looked back. Currently using a blend of grapeseed oil and virgin coconut oil, mixed with some cedarwood and lemongrass essential oil. Use it to take care of my goatee and my shaving.
niakulah
post Apr 23 2017, 11:35 PM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(QuickFire @ Apr 23 2017, 10:52 PM)
Wow that sounds adventurous. I'm assuming the oil will gunk up the razor? Need to properly wash it after each shave then.

However if it works then it works. How does it compare to using a sharp inf cream or soap? I guess you don't even need a shaving brush then huh?

Btw, I've read through this thread and see Haniffa Textiles being mentioned a few times. Are the shaving creams and brushes there worthwhile?
Hmmm.. gunking is not an issue for me because I use a shavette. A quick strop across my palm and it's clean.

Never used anything other than the usual supermarket creams and gels. The oil is head and shoulders above them. No shaving brush. Just a glass bottle with pump dispenser.

Not been to Haniffa before either. Sorry.
niakulah
post May 28 2017, 06:18 PM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(biloxee @ May 28 2017, 02:51 PM)
Gillette Rocket HD + Gillette Silver Blue = Comfortable BBS shave.
[attachmentid=8855435]
Silver Blue! My favorite.
niakulah
post Jun 2 2017, 07:16 AM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(Chisinlouz @ Jun 1 2017, 10:08 PM)
Hi, where can i get a shavette?
http://connaughtshaving.com/sssr.html

Shipping cost and time is quite good.
niakulah
post Jun 10 2017, 10:19 AM

Senior Artisan
1,170 posts

QUOTE(niakulah @ Nov 21 2016, 09:31 AM)
I have placed another order with them since that post. Both I used normal shipping. No problems and quite fast. A bit more than a week to get to me.
arukk

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0266sec    0.49    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 26th February 2021 - 11:16 PM