Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Old skool shaving, Best and closest shave ever

views

thteong82
post Oct 4 2011, 01:41 PM

Poor Guy
1,528 posts

QUOTE(Yushiro @ Sep 6 2011, 04:38 PM)
OMG. I've been waiting for years for a thread like this to start. Been doing DE shaving for the last 7 years. Like you carbman, I've had my face sliced to ribbons by these multibladed crap razors that Gillette has been putting out and basically the exact same problems as you. Switched to DE (same journey as you also tongue.gif), Cheap china DEs, Super Nacet (ugh). Now I have 3 Vintage Gillette DEs (1950s Gillette Gold Aristocrat, 1963 Gillette 'Slim' Adjustable and a 1979 Gillette Super Adjustable). BBS everytime.

Now, as far as supplies are concerned:

1. DE Blades - 1st Floor, Haniffa Textiles, Jln Masjid India. They have a variety of blades (Sold either in single box of 5 blades or 100 blade pack). Recommended brands: Treet Platinum, BIC, Green Russian made Gillette 7'O Clock blades. Currently they have Wilkinson Sword Blades at the cashier. RM3.90 per 5 blades. Super damn good. Better go sapu before I do!

Mustafas - Singapore. I know. Its far but this place can get a lot of stuff. Look for Kai Blades.

2. Shaving soap - Sorry. Cannot find here. Take up [Top-Gun]'s offer. I have a puck of MWF. its awesome. [Disclaimer: I have no relation or know who is [Top-Gun] ]. Alternatively, you can look for Tabac Shaving Sticks in Mustafa. Very useful esp when travelling

3. Shaving Cream - Ah, here we are a bit luckier. Haniffa's has Godrej Shaving creams, Denim and German made Palmolive creams. All of which are at par in terms of performance with very expensive English creams. All of them are under RM20 per tube and will last for 2 months if you shave everyday.

4. Aftershave - Apart from the Nivea balm and Denim ones, I dun recommend anything else in Malaysia. Maybe got some Body shop ones that work. Never tried. Too rich for my budget. When in Mustafa, pick up Skin Bracer aftershaves.

5. Razors - Buy online. badgerandblade.com's BST thread can get some good deals. Dun be scared about using vintage razors. They work just fine after disinfecting them.

Ok. Sorry about the long post. Just happy to see someone else who's into this kind of shaving tongue.gif

PS: Not affliated at all with the retailers or brands mentioned here. Just a happy customer  smile.gif
Anyone know where can get the shaving cream and blades like example above at Penang?
thteong82
post Oct 11 2011, 11:24 AM

Poor Guy
1,528 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Oct 10 2011, 03:54 PM)

I can't stand the BIC. Going back to Feather ASAP.
Is BIC so worst? But for its price, I consider it well worth it. RM9 for 30 pcs.
thteong82
post Oct 14 2011, 02:11 PM

Poor Guy
1,528 posts

Hey guys, is this good enough?

I prefer something that I could brought in Penang (Since Crabtree got a branch in Penang). So I don't need to depend too much on online transaction.

http://www.crabtree-evelyn.com/eng/categor...ng-creams-soaps

Or this, since my wife shop in this outlet a lot.

http://www.loccitane.com.my/shaving,42,1,4475,0.htm

This post has been edited by thteong82: Oct 14 2011, 02:15 PM
thteong82
post Oct 17 2011, 01:27 PM

Poor Guy
1,528 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Oct 14 2011, 09:27 PM)
MAS hands out l'occitane toiletries for delayed baggage. Happened to me once. The cade shave cream doest lather at all. Not meant to, i guess, since its a travel pack.  The c&e is better, but honestly the best shave cream i've tested that's sold locally is the maca root stuff from bodyshop. C&e's brush is ok, though.
Didn't managed to visit C&E outlet on weekend.
But from website, it look like the C&E brush is from EJ also. thumbup.gif

Added on October 19, 2011, 10:12 amFound something from Singapore. Delivery should be faster than Amazon or Ebay.

http://www.doubleedgeshavingplace.com/

This post has been edited by thteong82: Oct 19 2011, 10:12 AM
thteong82
post Oct 20 2011, 04:35 PM

Poor Guy
1,528 posts

Just a question.

Do you guys get BBS every shave?

I have a hard time try to get BBS on my neck. Always end up getting nicks.

P/S : Using EJ with BIC

And between, any of you guys using Alum block? Or better recommendation?

This post has been edited by thteong82: Oct 20 2011, 05:24 PM
thteong82
post Oct 20 2011, 09:28 PM

Poor Guy
1,528 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Oct 20 2011, 08:11 PM)
Its possible, but harder with the BICs.  Try Feathers.  If you get nicks, either you're applying too much pressure, shaving too aggressively, or not rpepping properly. I get an average of 1 nick a week.

Best aftershave I've used is Nivea's and Bodyshop's maca root.
Ok. Will order Feather and see how it goes. How you prepare actually? I bath with warm water. Then direct shave.
The cream is lather with warm water as well.

QUOTE(BulletsStorm @ Oct 20 2011, 08:50 PM)
Hey guyz,,

I'm Artistic when it comes to shaving,

and i need to find a cool straight razor like this

user posted image

Does anyone have any idea please ??
This one is nice. Go Amazon search "straight razor".

QUOTE(jonny4 @ Oct 20 2011, 08:50 PM)
Shaving with double edge safety razors needs skill I tell ya. Been 6 months since I been using a DE and I still get cuts once in a while especially when I'm in a rush.

Local pharmacies do sell styptic pencils right ?
Yeah, would go to pharmacy tomorrow.
thteong82
post Oct 24 2011, 09:43 PM

Poor Guy
1,528 posts

Finally get a BBS using BIC (Feather not yet arrive). No nicks at all.

Preparation is the key.

My preparation :
Bath > 2 x WTG > Clean face with warm water again > 2 x ATG

It's feel good.

thteong82
post Oct 25 2011, 01:21 PM

Poor Guy
1,528 posts

QUOTE(ZinZan @ Oct 25 2011, 12:16 PM)
Hi guys, been lurking around reading some of the other threads ie shoes n bespoke. Good stuff.
For shaving i'm using Tabac soap, C&E cream and after shave and body hop synthetic brush but i'm only using Gillette Mach 3. Havent taken the plunge and bought a DE, I was thinking of EJ89L. But what i found even with the Mach 3, its abt the prepping ie lathering up n using warm water really helps a lot with the shave. The aerosol shaving cream is rubbish.
Last time, I change razor every year (since Gillette produce new razor every year) , and hope to get BBS shave.
Always ends up disappointing.

Stumble to this thread, it makes me so happy. It took me almost 15++ years to get my first BBS shave.
Try to change to badger brush, it feels so good. thumbup.gif
thteong82
post Nov 16 2011, 11:52 AM

Poor Guy
1,528 posts

Hi, Neko.

You can only have close shave or "BBS" (Google the terms), with DE or straight razor.

Using 5 or 3 blade, I didn't get BBS before.

Read this whole thread and understand what we guys doing. You would feel amazed with the shave result.

I monitor my shave with this. Put your palm and touch your beard area from bottom to top. If there is hair or stubble, then its not close shave.

For the clean shaven face, I always get it. But maybe my genetic problem, people still can see some grey shadow on my beard area, even though I already feel smooth face (no stubble at all).

This post has been edited by thteong82: Nov 16 2011, 11:52 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0508sec    0.56    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:14 AM