Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Old skool shaving, Best and closest shave ever

views

Yushiro
post Sep 6 2011, 04:38 PM

18 posts

OMG. I've been waiting for years for a thread like this to start. Been doing DE shaving for the last 7 years. Like you carbman, I've had my face sliced to ribbons by these multibladed crap razors that Gillette has been putting out and basically the exact same problems as you. Switched to DE (same journey as you also tongue.gif), Cheap china DEs, Super Nacet (ugh). Now I have 3 Vintage Gillette DEs (1950s Gillette Gold Aristocrat, 1963 Gillette 'Slim' Adjustable and a 1979 Gillette Super Adjustable). BBS everytime.

Now, as far as supplies are concerned:

1. DE Blades - 1st Floor, Haniffa Textiles, Jln Masjid India. They have a variety of blades (Sold either in single box of 5 blades or 100 blade pack). Recommended brands: Treet Platinum, BIC, Green Russian made Gillette 7'O Clock blades. Currently they have Wilkinson Sword Blades at the cashier. RM3.90 per 5 blades. Super damn good. Better go sapu before I do!

Mustafas - Singapore. I know. Its far but this place can get a lot of stuff. Look for Kai Blades.

2. Shaving soap - Sorry. Cannot find here. Take up [Top-Gun]'s offer. I have a puck of MWF. its awesome. [Disclaimer: I have no relation or know who is [Top-Gun] ]. Alternatively, you can look for Tabac Shaving Sticks in Mustafa. Very useful esp when travelling

3. Shaving Cream - Ah, here we are a bit luckier. Haniffa's has Godrej Shaving creams, Denim and German made Palmolive creams. All of which are at par in terms of performance with very expensive English creams. All of them are under RM20 per tube and will last for 2 months if you shave everyday.

4. Aftershave - Apart from the Nivea balm and Denim ones, I dun recommend anything else in Malaysia. Maybe got some Body shop ones that work. Never tried. Too rich for my budget. When in Mustafa, pick up Skin Bracer aftershaves.

5. Razors - Buy online. badgerandblade.com's BST thread can get some good deals. Dun be scared about using vintage razors. They work just fine after disinfecting them.

Ok. Sorry about the long post. Just happy to see someone else who's into this kind of shaving tongue.gif

PS: Not affliated at all with the retailers or brands mentioned here. Just a happy customer smile.gif

This post has been edited by Yushiro: Sep 6 2011, 04:39 PM
Yushiro
post Sep 6 2011, 10:46 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(izwanz @ Sep 6 2011, 06:17 PM)
How regularly do you guys often shave?

I am keen on buying an electric shaver but I'm scared that i won't get a 'close shave'. sad.gif
I shave every 2 days. Electric might or might not work for you. As MeeToo said, it depends on how heavy your facial hair growth is. Personally, I can't use them as my facial hair is thick
Yushiro
post Sep 7 2011, 09:45 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(izwanz @ Sep 7 2011, 03:01 PM)
Do you guys shave early in the morning or night?

Those days during wartime even armies still shave using cold water -- no problem. http://www.armytimes.com/offduty/health/of..._advice_071509/
I do it at night, after shower. I find it refreshing and the hair grows back slower. Of course, YMMV.
Yushiro
post Sep 17 2011, 09:29 AM

18 posts

QUOTE(carbman @ Sep 15 2011, 08:22 PM)
Haha....thought this thread was DEAD.  OK....I'll storm Jln Masjid India tomolo...running outta blades. I originally bought 5-pack BICs from carrefour for like RM1.20 a box or something like that...pack of 5 boxes.

For the soap, the one that I've found here is from Acca Kappa at pavillion. Buy the refill puck if you're curious. They say its good.  Cheaper still would be Crabtree & Evelyn at Midvalley or Bangsar, they sell the refill complete with a wooden boal at RM150 (around that....not sure, was a long time ago). C&E shave brush is also quite acceptable.  Acca Kappas brush is something like RM400 ('silvertip' badger, no less).
I did check out Acca Kappa when they first opened. Er..way out of my budget LOL. Anyways, I have far too many soaps. C&E no longer sells soaps. But I do have a puck of C&E Sweet Almond Oil soap. Thats a really nice soap! To bad they're since discontinued. I think if you looked online you could still find their Nomad soaps.

QUOTE(Mr. Z @ Sep 16 2011, 08:34 PM)
Where can i get a DE or a straight razor here in KL?

wanted to try using them...
As i said in my long post earlier, the only thing you're going to find here in KL is the Chinese and Indian made DE's which while good as a starter DE, are too light and have too small blade angles IMO. Your best bet will be like the rest of the gang here, order online. Apart from Edwin Jagger, Merkur is a good "New" DE razor to get. Lastly, you could also opt to get yourself a vintage razor. If you need some recommendations, I'll be more than happy to list some

Yushiro
post Sep 19 2011, 12:32 PM

18 posts

2 out of the 3 Vintages that I use:

bottom: 1950s Gillette Aristocrat
top: 1963 Gillette 'Slim' Adjustable

user posted image
Yushiro
post Sep 19 2011, 03:13 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(kotmj @ Sep 19 2011, 03:05 PM)
Wah, that soap is so old school.
LOL. Its just this: user posted image

I put it into a small mason jar
Yushiro
post Sep 20 2011, 10:28 AM

18 posts

I melted down my Col Conk and put it in a nice watertight stainless steel container. Too bad my puck is finishing dy sad.gif

QUOTE(kotmj @ Sep 19 2011, 03:15 PM)
That is a great idea. The only reason I bought my Col. Conk was because it comes in a watertight container.
Yushiro
post Oct 6 2011, 02:55 PM

18 posts

Just came back from Haniffa. Picked up a Lord DE razor (for the sake of reviewing it) and a tube of Denim shaving cream. Checked the blades on sale at the payment counter. They have Russian Green 7'O Clocks, Vietnamese Gillette Thins and about 10-15 German made Wilkinson Swords.(these are the ones I recommend. They have others but better dun use) For easy blade disposal, I took one of my daughter's milk tins, sealed the lid, flipped it upside down and made a hole for the blades. This is known as a blade bank. been using it for like 6 years, now only halfway full. since everything is metal, it'll be easier to recycle. But make sure you mark it with a label that says "used blades" la

A note on boar brushes: I've been using the same Omega boar for 6 years. So far its probably shed about 10-15 hairs? I soak it in hot/very warm water before I shower and use it after the shower. The key is to preserving it is after usage, wash with hot water (not boiling hot la) and then thoroughly clean it with cold water. Brush is still excellent and works wonderfully with creams or soaps.

PS: I have no idea where to get blades in Penang. Sorry bro.

QUOTE(kotmj @ Oct 6 2011, 01:52 PM)
Yeah, I went ATG at first pass.

I shaved just now with your technique. 2X WTG then ATG. It works. No nicks. This is for above the chin. Below the chin, it is awkward to hold the razor to do WTG. So just ATG below the chin.

The brush is shedding hair. Like 2 hairs per use.

The BIC is seriously dull, man. I replaced my week-old Feather with a fresh BIC and guess what? The week-old Feather is SHARPER than a fresh BIC.

Dropped by Hanifa on the weekend. No Russian Gilettes there. No DE blades at the counter. But plenty of Chinese and Pakistani and Indian blades of dubious quality.

How do you dispose of your blades? They are still very sharp, and the rubbish collectors like to ruffle through the garbage in search of plastic bottles.
Yushiro
post Oct 6 2011, 04:23 PM

18 posts

I apologize for not being clear. They are at the first floor payment counter. Again, my apologies. notworthy.gif

QUOTE(kotmj @ Oct 6 2011, 03:04 PM)
What? All I saw at the payment counter were Gilette cartridges, and when I asked a lady at the counter about razor blades she said First Floor.
Yushiro
post Apr 17 2012, 03:30 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(dvng @ Oct 30 2011, 08:06 PM)
anyone know where I can find Old Spice lather shaving cream in KL?
Haniffa Textiles, Jalan Masjid India.
Yushiro
post Jul 16 2012, 03:50 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(sweeneyT @ May 8 2012, 12:35 PM)
Are you sure? and where can i get TABAC EDT?

Added on May 8, 2012, 12:38 pmHow to shave like your grandpa

Forgotten Colognes and Aftershaves
Very sure. Bought a few tubes last time around. Tabac EDT is also available from the same place. Sorry about replying after so long. Fell off the face of the Earth for a bit tongue.gif

Added on July 16, 2012, 3:53 pmHi Gang. Uh..seems like this thread has been kinda dormant since April. Just a quick question tho. I recently got a Gillette Superspeed from the 60's I think. Cleaned up rather nicely. The problem is, the previous owner must have tried to burn the razor. So I now have a nicely functioning antique with burn marks mad.gif Anyone know where I can get this razor replated?

This post has been edited by Yushiro: Jul 16 2012, 03:53 PM
Yushiro
post Jul 17 2012, 12:24 PM

18 posts

QUOTE(jonny4 @ Jul 16 2012, 05:21 PM)
u shud try posting ur question at badger n blade. over here hard to get answers. i posted at B&B b4 n u will get a lot of help.
I posted it here because I was trying to source out a Malaysian Co to replate my razor. Very familiar with B&B. Been a member for years. But do not want to spend too much of money sending it out etc.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0457sec    0.21    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:13 PM