Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Please provide proper description when you report a post. Report button abuse will earn you an automatic warn + suspension.

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Curtin University of Technology, Sarawak Campus (University)

ginolo
post Jun 21 2008, 06:28 PM

Bugs Bunny running over that way!
Group: Senior Member

About Curtin University of Technology Sarawak Campus, Malaysia

Curtin University of Technology Sarawak Campus, Malaysia (Curtin Sarawak) is the first offshore campus of Curtin University of Technology, Western Australia (Curtin Western Australia). Located in Miri, Sarawak, Curtin Sarawak is the first foreign university campus to be set up in East Malaysia.

Curtin’s reputation for excellence in the South East Asian region provided the basis for Sarawak State Government’s initiative to invite Curtin to establish an international university in Sarawak. Curtin Sarawak has been actively involved in Malaysian education for the past two decades and the establishment of Curtin Sarawak’s campus ensures that it will continue to increase its contributions towards excellence in Malaysian tertiary education.

Curtin Sarawak’s operations in Miri, Sarawak commenced in February 1999. In 2002, the new purpose-built campus in a garden opened, which is a world-class facility where stylish architecturally designed buildings complement state-of-the-art equipment and facilities coupled with sophisticated IT linkages to provide students access to the resources of Curtin, Western Australia. In November 1999, Curtin Sarawak was awarded the Multimedia Super Corridor status and was renewed in 2006.

Miri, Sarawak

Sarawak, on the north-western part of Borneo Island, is the largest, and may be considered the richest, of the 13 states / territories in the Federation of Malaysia. Miri is a modern, developed, safe city with modern infrastructure, excellent hotels and restaurants, comprehensive local and international banking facilities, multi-storey shopping malls as well as traditional stores and simpler craft and produce markets selling local specialties. Originally an oil town, Miri is now more renowned for its natural attractions and heritage and is becoming increasingly popular as an adventure / ecotourism destination. Miri enjoys warm equatorial weather with plenty of sunshine all year round. It is well serviced by road and air links and caters for regular flights to Kuching (the state capital) and Kuala Lumpur (the national capital) where travellers get connecting flights overseas.

The population of 230,000 people consists mainly of Chinese, Malay, Dayaks and various other ethnic groups. Bahasa Malaysia or Malay is the national language, however, English and Chinese are widely used in tourism and business. The people of Sarawak have a reputation for their warmth, friendliness and hospitality.

Living in MIRI

Miri Resort City is the gateway to northern Sarawak. Miri Airport receives flights from Kuala Lumpur, Kota Kinabalu, Johor Bahru and Labuan coupled with other interstate flights from Kuching, Sibu, Bintulu and other smaller airports in and around Miri.

Miri’s calendar of festivals reflects the city’s multi-cultural society as it is home to a large number of Sarawak native communities with many colourful cultural events held where everyone celebrates with fun and joy.

It offers an array of exciting lifestyles with well-maintained, neatly trimmed and clean public parks, walkways and playgrounds and is surrounded by National Parks, some within driving distance for day trips.

Miri has in place excellent public amenities, medical facilities and financial institutions. It has a general hospital, polyclinics, two private hospitals and many other private medical and dental clinics

Hi guys~ im here dy. living at villa...im finding friends here ...anyone there?

:>

This post has been edited by ginolo: Jul 18 2008, 06:17 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GrecY_LolliPoP
post Jun 21 2008, 08:03 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

rclxms.gif Well.... Welcoming you to come to Curtin Miri Campus...
I didn't study at Curtin but i do live in Miri...hehe... tongue.gif
Whr you from? cool2.gif

This post has been edited by GrecY_LolliPoP: Jun 21 2008, 08:04 PM
+Quote Post
ginolo
post Jun 23 2008, 07:03 PM

im from sabah~ minnda tell me hows life at miri?
+Quote Post
nicholaswinters87
post Jun 23 2008, 07:49 PM

Getting Started

wow nice description of the uni... biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
ginolo
post Jun 23 2008, 08:47 PM

hehe, thanks, i will update more details when im free.
:>
+Quote Post
onelove89
post Jun 23 2008, 10:09 PM

Fighter for God

miri is an awesome place =D It's my hometown too =) any questions bout miri I can help to answer. But not on the campus =/ sowee, i don study there xD

This post has been edited by onelove89: Jun 23 2008, 10:10 PM
+Quote Post
ginolo
post Jun 24 2008, 04:22 PM

i see`~ wanna know bout miri town. got how many shopping centre that's nice? Hmm..and miri got pro saloon? where does it located at?haha.
miri got any nice food?
+Quote Post
EquinoX
post Jun 24 2008, 04:42 PM

Casual

Im from miri too~ This thursday will going KL~ hehe. See town ah , old town very hot and many aged ppl. Im sure u will sweating at there haha. Shopping complex got few , Boulevard , Parkson , Imperial mall. For other mall not so famous is Servay and some others depend on ur place , If nearby curtin is "E-MART" lol haha.
Pro saloon is Alan saloon and Kelvin. Others i don think so , and must ask director or boss cut , if not ur hair will really sux like mine T.T" coz boss not there and i cut with other stylist then hair so stupid.
Food? Got money sure got nice food , go for hotel dinner n buffet. If wana reasonable food , then got few like pong cafe , ming cafe , others. cant memorize in short time haha. Don eat seafood , coz miri are more expensive if compare with sabah there ~ Anyway take care and good luck , u staying in curtin villa or curtin village?
+Quote Post
Elezend
post Jun 24 2008, 04:43 PM

Getting Started

you can try www.miricommunity.net to gain further information
+Quote Post
onelove89
post Jun 24 2008, 06:37 PM

Fighter for God

QUOTE(ginolo @ Jun 24 2008, 04:22 PM)
i see`~ wanna know bout miri town. got how many shopping centre that's nice? Hmm..and miri got pro saloon? where does it located at?haha.
miri got any nice food?
EquinoX answered the part on shopping complex and pro saloons. Food wise, I think there are alot of places u can visit. High class of course its the 'restaurants' and hotels. =) Mariott Buffet is AWESOME, but its costly. I like Pongs Cafe cos its cheap and HUGE in portion. Ok I always go here, Faradale Cafe. Find it, and try the things there for dinner, as in call in dishes. Its SUPER DUPER CHEAP. But, The longest time i waited was like 1.5 hour =/ but yeah its worth waiting.

QUOTE(EquinoX @ Jun 24 2008, 04:42 PM)
Im from miri too~ This thursday will going KL~ hehe. See town ah , old town very hot and many aged ppl. Im sure u will sweating at there haha. Shopping complex got few , Boulevard , Parkson , Imperial mall. For other mall not so famous is Servay and some others depend on ur place , If nearby curtin is "E-MART" lol haha.
Pro saloon is Alan saloon and Kelvin. Others i don think so , and must ask director or boss cut , if not ur hair will really sux like mine T.T" coz boss not there and i cut with other stylist then hair so stupid.
Food? Got money sure got nice food , go for hotel dinner n buffet. If wana reasonable food , then got few like pong cafe , ming cafe , others. cant memorize in short time haha. Don eat seafood , coz miri are more expensive if compare with sabah there ~ Anyway take care and good luck , u staying in curtin villa or curtin village?
I think seafood in miri is quite reasonable =/ Quite cheap though. haha.

*oh yeah, try pasar malam at seberkas there on friday and sat night.*

+Quote Post
ginolo
post Jun 24 2008, 06:58 PM

WOW GUYS..Thanks for the information.
REALLY thank You.

u staying in curtin villa or curtin village?<--villa, because its cheap. But still not sure yet, Curtin not yet confirmed me that villa got place for me. my friends say that villa better, because there's a mart very near.

haha, issit?

LOL!! kesian you EquinoX. Hope that i will have a nice life at miri. HEHE~
+Quote Post
s373n
post Jun 24 2008, 08:07 PM

▂▃▅▆ ♫ ♬ ♪ ⓢ③⑦③ⓝ

Curtin's nice, although I study at Perth's campus.

Most of my ex-classmates are studying at Curtin Miri. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
ginolo
post Jun 24 2008, 09:04 PM

i see, whats their comment from there?

Added on June 26, 2008, 5:47 pm
QUOTE(onelove89 @ Jun 24 2008, 06:37 PM)
EquinoX answered the part on shopping complex and pro saloons. Food wise, I think there are alot of places u can visit. High class of course its the 'restaurants' and hotels. =) Mariott Buffet is AWESOME, but its costly. I like Pongs Cafe cos its cheap and HUGE in portion. Ok I always go here, Faradale Cafe. Find it, and try the things there for dinner, as in call in dishes. Its SUPER DUPER CHEAP. But, The longest time i waited was like 1.5 hour =/ but yeah its worth waiting.
I think seafood in miri is quite reasonable =/ Quite cheap though. haha.
*oh yeah, try pasar malam at seberkas there on friday and sat night.*
wats the price for mariott buffet? and the faradale cafe.

This post has been edited by ginolo: Jun 26 2008, 05:47 PM
+Quote Post
babyblue10
post Jul 5 2008, 08:49 PM

I am studying at curtin now and staying at villa. Got anything can ask me.
+Quote Post
wongmsm
post Jul 6 2008, 11:34 PM

I am currently studying in Curtin Sarawak and also from Sabah. Well, all i have to say is... be prepare for the life there... It can be REALLY boring sometimes... The university is situated 30mins bus trip from the town. You might find exciting in your first time in town but will get bored soon because the shopping mall is quite small compare to kk. In every tuition free week, i came back kk because really cannot tahan stay there for one week without going to school or any activities. UNLESS, you have transportation. That's a different story. Well, this is just my experience there. Hope you have a nice schooling there. Btw, Villa is better because its much much more convenient than Village.
+Quote Post
onelove89
post Jul 7 2008, 09:46 AM

Fighter for God

QUOTE(ginolo @ Jun 24 2008, 09:04 PM)
i see, whats their comment from there?

Added on June 26, 2008, 5:47 pm
wats the price for mariott buffet? and the faradale cafe.
mariott buffet is quite exp =/ around uh, i think i had discount back then, so i paid around 50? Faradale cafe is super cheap. I called like 4-5 dishes, and it's around 20-30+ in total =/

QUOTE(wongmsm @ Jul 6 2008, 11:34 PM)
I am currently studying in Curtin Sarawak and also from Sabah. Well, all i have to say is... be prepare for the life there... It can be REALLY boring sometimes... The university is situated 30mins bus trip from the town. You might find exciting in your first time in town but will get bored soon because the shopping mall is quite small compare to kk. In every tuition free week, i came back kk because really cannot tahan stay there for one week without going to school or any activities. UNLESS, you have transportation. That's a different story. Well, this is just my experience there. Hope you have a nice schooling there. Btw, Villa is better because its much much more convenient than Village.
yeah, cos curtin is situated very very far away =/ and miri is just a smal town =) but i find it very nice and cozy, not a busy life compared to KL, if shopping wise i say u go kl or those big metropolitans, cos miri only has boulevard xD (parkson for entertainments)
+Quote Post
ginolo
post Jul 7 2008, 03:15 PM

QUOTE(onelove89 @ Jul 7 2008, 09:46 AM)
mariott buffet is quite exp =/ around uh, i think i had discount back then, so i paid around 50? Faradale cafe is super cheap. I called like 4-5 dishes, and it's around 20-30+ in total =/
yeah, cos curtin is situated very very far away =/ and miri is just a smal town =) but i find it very nice and cozy, not a busy life compared to KL, if shopping wise i say u go kl or those big metropolitans, cos miri only has boulevard xD (parkson for entertainments)
i see,thank you for the information. its so useful.

Added on July 7, 2008, 3:18 pm
QUOTE(wongmsm @ Jul 6 2008, 11:34 PM)
huh, how come you get boring like that? you must be very rich to buy with the tickets back to kk, and return to miri again. haha ha.
so wat course you taking? do you really like the foods there?

Added on July 7, 2008, 3:18 pm
QUOTE(babyblue10 @ Jul 5 2008, 08:49 PM)
I am studying at curtin now and staying at villa. Got anything can ask me.
okay~ thanks in advance ^.^

This post has been edited by ginolo: Jul 7 2008, 03:18 PM
+Quote Post
hikashi
post Jul 8 2008, 09:04 PM

Feed with candy

hahaha welcome to miri curtin..
hving my semester break now.

wat i can say is the food is cheap in miri...kolok mee for rm1 wakakakaak

Added on July 8, 2008, 9:15 pm
QUOTE(ginolo @ Jun 24 2008, 06:58 PM)
WOW GUYS..Thanks for the information.
REALLY thank You.

u staying in curtin villa or curtin village?<--villa, because its cheap. But still not sure yet, Curtin not yet confirmed me that villa got place for me. my friends say that villa better, because there's a mart very near.

haha, issit?

LOL!! kesian you EquinoX. Hope that  i will have a nice life at miri. HEHE~
stay outside the villa cheaper.
the internet line(deconexion, operated by other isp) installed by uni very poor. ok ok only.

and ya, villa much better cz nearer to shoplots. altho theres much better choice to stay in other places, about RM300 fully furnished.

transportation is not really a problem as curtin provides bus services to the student. every 15-1 hour per trip from housing area to curtin depends on peak time or not.

as for a trip to down town, theres Miri busses(66) around too, not much a hassle if u know how.

best if u know some local student and make fren with them. they will bring u go gai gai. no nid take bus.

This post has been edited by hikashi: Jul 8 2008, 09:15 PM
+Quote Post
Grajindo
post Jul 8 2008, 10:30 PM

Regular

[quote=hikashi,Jul 8 2008, 09:04 PM]

RM1 kolok mee can be eaten at Lutong market only. Other than there, all are Rm2.30-Rm2.50.... smile.gif

+Quote Post
foolfighter
post Jul 8 2008, 10:35 PM

Getting Started

any comment about swinburne sarawak?n i need help on some question

here's the link:
http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?act=ST&f...0#entry18453857

thx alot
+Quote Post
hikashi
post Jul 9 2008, 12:31 AM

Feed with candy

[quote=Grajindo,Jul 8 2008, 10:30 PM]
[quote=hikashi,Jul 8 2008, 09:04 PM]

RM1 kolok mee can be eaten at Lutong market only. Other than there, all are Rm2.30-Rm2.50.... smile.gif

[/quote]

good thing is lutong nearby senadin area hehehe.

+Quote Post
onelove89
post Jul 9 2008, 05:55 PM

Fighter for God

aiyer, rm1 kolok mee =/ not nice de xD but still its cheap. yeah, inflation, i still remember its only 1.50 back like 10 years ago =/
+Quote Post
ginolo
post Jul 9 2008, 10:34 PM

WOW, thanks for your information. Hikashi, so where are you living now?Villa? or outside? any nice place that can introduce to me?i wanna move out after my foundation is done. LOL. i still got 8 days left at my hometown...
+Quote Post
hikashi
post Jul 10 2008, 10:06 PM

Feed with candy

QUOTE(ginolo @ Jul 9 2008, 10:34 PM)
WOW, thanks for your information. Hikashi, so where are you living now?Villa? or outside? any nice place that can introduce to me?i wanna move out after my foundation is done. LOL. i still got 8 days left at my hometown...
im actually staying quite far away from the campus, as in 30 minute drive to curtin. gonna move in to senadin for the next semester.
+Quote Post
huiyin_hsu
post Jul 12 2008, 06:58 PM

Getting Started

Hi !!

Thinking of taking mass communication in curtin. into film and television.
Is it recommended ? smile.gif

Am graduating from foundation (CIMP-sunway) end of the year ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cally
post Jul 13 2008, 01:20 PM

I'm going to start my uni life soon!!.. I'm wondering can anybody tell me what you do you in orientation and why is it ONE weeks?.. Isn't that a bit too long??
+Quote Post
hikashi
post Jul 15 2008, 03:09 PM

Feed with candy

orientation.... biggrin.gif
a lot of talk doh.gif
i had mine and i can say its really doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif

u can choose to not to go, u might miss some of the important stuff tho.
if u wan to skip the orientation, best to hv a friend or senior to help you for the registration.
else, if ure totally alone or new, better go for the orientation.

p/s: late registration 18th july.
+Quote Post
Cally
post Jul 15 2008, 10:25 PM

sadly i'm totally alone though... haih...registration for the orientation you mean?

All i know is that i did enrol for the course though.. haha... I really want to miss the orientation if it is alot of talking.... talking makes me sleepy..hehehe..

What important stuff will i miss roughly?
+Quote Post
hikashi
post Jul 15 2008, 11:08 PM

Feed with candy

important stuff: how to use Student service department, its important...especially in registering your unit.

the rest will be talking bout rules and regulations, library usage, safety, student council, words from dean, blah blah blah....i attended for the 1st few days and the rest i skip..it just too boring.

u're studying diploma course or degree in engineering or finance...?

+Quote Post
ginolo
post Jul 16 2008, 11:20 AM

im going to take foundation in commerce.

will go there on 18 july.

arggh..feel like not joining the orientation.

hikashi help us to do those regis la~

LOL
+Quote Post
hikashi
post Jul 16 2008, 08:12 PM

Feed with candy

ollolololol...
if you're a gal enginering degree, maybe i can help bit, im not sure bout foundation tho..i'll help ask around.

+Quote Post
ginolo
post Jul 16 2008, 11:36 PM

cally. UGPM

Added on July 18, 2008, 12:33 amarrghh... its 0.32am now. still have7 more hours at my hometown, going to miri tomorrow....

This post has been edited by ginolo: Jul 18 2008, 12:33 AM
+Quote Post
Cally
post Jul 21 2008, 07:28 AM

i'M IN DEGREE engineering...haih....

Added on July 21, 2008, 7:29 ami'M IN DEGREE engineering...haih....

This post has been edited by Cally: Jul 21 2008, 07:29 AM
+Quote Post
onelove89
post Jul 21 2008, 08:25 AM

Fighter for God

whats so bad bout degree in engineering =/ haha, engineering aint bad.
+Quote Post
hikashi
post Jul 21 2008, 10:18 PM

Feed with candy

haha hows the orientation today?
+Quote Post
Sheep319
post Jul 22 2008, 11:02 PM

leulz

how many people is actually going for the orientation :/
i know i am. still.
+Quote Post
dvlzplayground
post Jul 23 2008, 03:46 PM

Newbie...like, seriously

from curtin here too smile.gif so how do u think about the orientation? i was one of the advisors on 2007 haha. very hard to prepare evrything oo
+Quote Post
ginolo
post Jul 23 2008, 05:57 PM

orientation S.U.C.K.S! i repeat, ORIENTATION S.U.C.K.S!
im not trying to be rude. but its fact.
some of the SOUR are quite 38.
i feel like not going dy, just attend to the important parts.
i dont know why the orientation are so long, they are just talking crap for whole day, wasting our time.
some coll's orientation just 1-3 days only.

whr r u guys staying at?
+Quote Post
dvlzplayground
post Jul 23 2008, 09:59 PM

Newbie...like, seriously

if u know the seniors then u'll do fine. one important part is timetable reading. trust me, a lot of students had trouble with this

juz think of it as a good start to know the people u'll be studying with throughout ur course smile.gif

me? own house..
+Quote Post
ginolo
post Jul 24 2008, 11:35 AM

yea, know how to read dy. hmm.. issit maximum years that can stay at curtin's accommodation is 2 years?they will kick you out after 2 years issit?

Added on July 24, 2008, 12:18 pmhey..do you guys know where is ICT Lab 3 (30) ? i cant find the lap in the map.

This post has been edited by ginolo: Jul 24 2008, 12:18 PM
+Quote Post
hikashi
post Jul 25 2008, 04:11 PM

Feed with candy

QUOTE(ginolo @ Jul 23 2008, 05:57 PM)
orientation S.U.C.K.S! i repeat, ORIENTATION S.U.C.K.S!
im not trying to be rude. but its fact.
some of the SOUR are quite 38.
i feel like not going dy, just attend to the important parts.
i dont know why the orientation are so long, they are just talking crap for whole day, wasting our time.
some coll's orientation just 1-3 days only.

whr r u guys staying at?
oh lol... rclxms.gif rclxms.gif
the time table reading is alot easier now..just go curtin website and then click on your unit course..

+Quote Post
ginolo
post Jul 25 2008, 06:37 PM

hey..do you guys know where is ICT Lab 3 (30) ? i cant find the lap in the map.

+Quote Post
hikashi
post Jul 27 2008, 03:02 AM

Feed with candy

ICT Lab 3?
nvr heard b4..
could be the new building near the bus stop.
+Quote Post
yihhan83
post Sep 3 2008, 07:12 PM

Getting Started

All Curtin building packed together in phase 1. No nid run here and there lolz...

ICT LAB 3 is the new built area.
+Quote Post
KVReninem
post Sep 3 2008, 07:35 PM

VIII

well how you guys find curtin so far?
+Quote Post
Jay714
post Sep 6 2008, 01:54 PM

On my way

Most probably will be transferring to Curtin next year to continue my degree.

Any thing that I should take note of? smile.gif
+Quote Post
syyang85
post Nov 17 2008, 11:57 AM

Rock & Roll Forever

be prepared for epic boringness

This post has been edited by syyang85: Nov 17 2008, 11:58 AM
+Quote Post
fazhen
post Jan 15 2009, 01:42 PM

Hey guy, I am deciding to go to curtin sarawak also, but may I know that will I have an oversea degree eventhough i study full courses in Miri?
+Quote Post
Sophia228
post Jan 15 2009, 06:48 PM

If you're choosing courses that are not offered but Curtin Miri, better go elsewhere although they'll tell you : get 15 ppl and we'll start a class. Such courses are like Geophysics. It's sort of like cincai open a class, and students have to go oversea after year 2 coz no more classes available. I'm a Mirian but I'm not sure whether the uni is good, didn't study thr. It's so far away from the city (to me), and heard that they always ask student to pay this pay that. Good thing is if you do engineering here and you need practical, you can go to Shell because Shell is at Miri. As for part time jobs, dont wish to get pay much, average RM3ph, some may also pay RM 2.50ph (Desert Ice cream), promoter in Parkson RM4ph stand all time and no handphone. Miri is BORING. No more beach now because it's wipe away already. Btw, Miri is growing with the building of new hotels (dunno when will they even start the construction) Curtin Miri that area is a new area which the government wish to develope, more housing areas than shops. And also bushes !!
+Quote Post
jingga
post Jan 20 2009, 04:36 PM

Getting Started

My avatar is the picture taken from the lakeside apartment in curtin huhu... what should i say about curtin.. boring? icon_question.gif yea rite
+Quote Post
raymones89
post Jan 20 2009, 05:30 PM

Getting Started

which accomodation will be there best over there? the lakeside apartment, villa or village?
+Quote Post
bluhound
post Jan 20 2009, 08:26 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(raymones89 @ Jan 20 2009, 05:30 PM)
which accomodation will be there best over there? the lakeside apartment, villa or village?
Village is the most comfortable of all three. Next step down is Villa.
Lakeside...err... Based on my opinion I do not find it comfy at all. blink.gif

However, if you want to know which one is the most convenient, it is definitely Villa. The bus stop is just outside (just like Village) and the shops are just opposite the road (NOT like Village. Walking to the shops is okay for the first few weeks. Soon, uber laziness kicks in and you know the rest...)

For first year first semester students, it is recommended to stay with the Uni's lodging so it is easier to make new friends as well as a first step to get used to Miri. Thats what I did. First sem stay in Village then second sem move out. Now proceeding in 2nd year.
BTW, it is also a big plus if you have a car. Most of the *cough* activity *cough* are closer to the city centre. Senadin is well, to be frank, quiet, minus off the car accidents and the sound of modded car exhausts... tongue.gif

+Quote Post
jingga
post Jan 20 2009, 11:42 PM

Getting Started

As for me i rent a house outside rclxms.gif i.e quiet close to DPS i would say... even after considering streamyx, electricity, water, astro its still cheaper than the accommodation provided by uni....like bluhound said Having a car is a big plus coz u dont need to worry if u miss the shuttle bus to campus.... My second year first sem would be my most horrible cry.gif though.. Need to stop DOTAing already huhu
+Quote Post
raymones89
post Jan 21 2009, 12:00 AM

Getting Started

what if i ride bicycle to college either from villa or village? Will it be friggin far? hahahhaa...

Have to agree, it seems that uni accomodation is quite pricey, the lakeside apartment cheapest is rm300 and that's without aircond. lol
+Quote Post
bluhound
post Jan 21 2009, 12:09 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(raymones89 @ Jan 21 2009, 12:00 AM)
what if i ride bicycle to college either from villa or village?  Will it be friggin far? hahahhaa...
Bicycle is fine. You can lock your bike behind Curtin's bus drop off point. I've got friends who use bikes to Uni. However, prepare to bring along a poncho.....
The rain can be a hassle, especially when you wake up for lectures assuming you take the bike and skip the bus. There was once a friend who rode to Uni under the rain. One hand on the bike's handlebars and the other hand holding the umbrella.
It worked.....somewhat... sad.gif

This post has been edited by bluhound: Jan 21 2009, 12:10 AM
+Quote Post
raymones89
post Jan 21 2009, 12:12 AM

Getting Started

Is there any loan that we can take if we wanna continue our studies in perth on the 3rd year?

Cant wait to go Miri.. hahahhaha
+Quote Post
Layman-kun
post Jan 31 2009, 10:25 PM

I'm gather info 4 Curtin u.

What is the density of students thr?
Is the lecturers good?
Does it ve a lot of h.work/assignments?
Whats urs opinion 4 that u?

I'm planning taking engineering course......
+Quote Post
raymones89
post Jan 31 2009, 10:31 PM

Getting Started

lol i just received the offer letter for bachelors of engineering from curtin
+Quote Post
Optiplex330
post Jan 31 2009, 10:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Layman-kun @ Jan 31 2009, 10:25 PM)
Does it ve a lot of h.work/assignments?
Whats urs opinion 4 that u?
For Australian uni, you can assume they all have lots and lots of assignment. That's the way they operate. Very much unlike UK's uni. Just like Aust's SAM vs UJ's A-Level.

+Quote Post
raymones89
post Jan 31 2009, 10:54 PM

Getting Started

anybody going to curtin?
+Quote Post
post Feb 1 2009, 08:11 PM

Getting Started

Is there any current students taking the Bachelor of Technology in Curtin? I'm currently a diploma holder, i'll be finishing my study at end of june and i was thinking of joining Curtin for second year degree, I was wondering is that possible, and when will be the intake for the second year? Anyone knows?
+Quote Post
bluhound
post Feb 1 2009, 10:00 PM

Getting Started

Yes, I am currently taking BTech, 2nd year. I am not sure whether having a diploma will take you directly to 2nd year.

I do only know that a friend of mine who has a diploma in Mechanical Engineering was given an advance of 150 points. If I am not mistaken, it depends on the coordinator.

As for intake dates, refer to the link below:-
http://www.curtin.edu.my/current/calendar2009.htm
+Quote Post
raymones89
post Feb 1 2009, 11:25 PM

Getting Started

4 years of studies in bachelor of engineering will give me a honours degree?
+Quote Post
post Feb 2 2009, 01:49 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(bluhound @ Feb 1 2009, 10:00 PM)
Yes, I am currently taking BTech, 2nd year.  I am not sure whether having a diploma will take you directly to 2nd year.

I do only know that a friend of mine who has a diploma in Mechanical Engineering was given an advance of 150 points.  If I am not mistaken, it depends on the coordinator.

As for intake dates, refer to the link below:-
http://www.curtin.edu.my/current/calendar2009.htm
Well for my college here right now is that i could proceed to my second year if i finished my diploma, so i was wondering if it would be the same, if i have to start over from year 1 it would really be a waste of time IMO, unless I want to change to a different course, otherwise i'll have to repeat the things i've studied.
+Quote Post
raymones89
post Feb 5 2009, 07:01 PM

Getting Started

anyone flying there this mid of february?
+Quote Post
jupiter_9
post Feb 14 2009, 07:12 PM

Group: New Member

Hello! Flying off to Miri tomorrow afternoon! smile.gif

Is Curtin really that boring? This thread scares me tongue.gif

Anyway I'll be doing Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical). Anyone with me? I'll be staying in Village.
+Quote Post
bluhound
post Feb 14 2009, 10:11 PM

Getting Started

It depends. Its not exactly that Curtin is boring, its more like the surrounding area. Some of them say its relaxingly nice and some the opposite.
To me, compare with Miri and my hometown KK, well KK is way better for me of course. Miri has 3 shopping centres and 1 major cinema. KK beats Miri by several fold. What more if compared to KL... sweat.gif
Car traffic is the opposite though. Way more relaxing to drive in Miri..... No car park woes in city centre tongue.gif

jupiter_9, since you're heading there tomorrow, try find it out yourself...
*cross fingers*, hope you enjoy the O'Week.. *cough*
+Quote Post
Qrious
post Feb 14 2009, 10:35 PM

Getting Started

hey....the degree programme - public relations in curtin izit good?
+Quote Post
limeuu
post Feb 14 2009, 10:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(raymones89 @ Feb 1 2009, 11:25 PM)
4 years of studies in bachelor of engineering will give me a honours degree?
honours in the australian context, unlike the british system, is an extra year one does at the end of the basic degree.......and often acts as a bridge towards a masters........

and engineering is always a 4 year course in oz, unlike again the brits.....you will need to study the full 4 years anyway, if you want to be eligible for consultant engineer status with iem.........
+Quote Post
raymones89
post Feb 14 2009, 11:49 PM

Getting Started

will be flying tomorrow also hahaha, morning flight

will be staying in the lakeside apartment XD
+Quote Post
jingga
post Feb 26 2009, 09:44 PM

Getting Started

Class already started for a week... huhu so many clashes damn it. Btw i just read this http://www.easterntimes.com.my/index.php?n...s_content=10623 rclxub.gif Huhu hoping this will not happen again....
+Quote Post
bluhound
post Feb 26 2009, 11:12 PM

Getting Started

I know. It freaked me out too. Thanks goodness I was in a middle of a lecture when this happened....
+Quote Post
syyang85
post Apr 8 2009, 02:18 PM

Rock & Roll Forever

miri has the most ridiculous cinema in the whole sarawak or probably malaysia
+Quote Post
spitfire111
post Apr 8 2009, 02:53 PM

Getting Started

ts, I've already add your thread to my official thread list
+Quote Post
raymones89
post Apr 14 2009, 01:49 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(syyang85 @ Apr 8 2009, 02:18 PM)
miri has the most ridiculous cinema in the whole sarawak or probably malaysia
yeah quite true, last week was my first time in the cinema here, watched fast and furious. Sometimes no sound, sometimes the screen blinks. LOL.

Added on April 14, 2009, 1:50 pmAll the curtin students please report in this thread! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by raymones89: Apr 14 2009, 01:50 PM
+Quote Post
Lazycat
post Apr 19 2009, 12:11 AM

erm...if anyone still goin over this thread then can u help me with one thing ? i'm goin to take bachelor in mechanical engineering n one thing i heard from most of the student in curtin is.....the lecturer isnt that gud..and some of them only come for a very short period, maybe a subs...so any opinion ? shld i still consider curtin as my u of choice ? coz i'm still choosing btween swinburne and curtin...oh, btw, i live in miri
+Quote Post
babyblue10
post Apr 22 2009, 07:44 PM

if you 1 2 compare swinburne and curtin, what i can say is curtin is way above swinburne. I think in uni life most of the time you don't really depend on your lecturer anymore. True to say that if all the lecturer are good, then the path toward a cert would be smooth. I always treat it as a challenge of my life.
+Quote Post
IamjustME
post Apr 22 2009, 07:49 PM

inb4 /k/

Fattening food is already a challenge.

Any suggestions?
+Quote Post
babyblue10
post Apr 22 2009, 10:57 PM

what u eat till u say is a challenge? "bilin"???

This post has been edited by babyblue10: Apr 22 2009, 10:57 PM
+Quote Post
Lazycat
post Apr 22 2009, 11:35 PM

QUOTE(babyblue10 @ Apr 22 2009, 07:44 PM)
if you 1 2 compare swinburne and curtin, what i can say is curtin is way above swinburne. I think in uni life most of the time you don't really depend on your lecturer anymore. True to say that if all the lecturer are good, then the path toward a cert would be smooth. I always treat it as a challenge of my life.
its true maybe for some subjects, but when it comes to something that i really cant understand, i still need the lecturer to teach me that...i tried to study some subjects myself n the past, but eventually i failed...erm, well, thr are juz things that i wont understand if i dun get guidance(especially from a gud a lecturer), so, u can say that i'm pretty much dependent on the lecturer's quality of teaching..(knew it wasnt a good thing to do, but...hrm)

This post has been edited by Lazycat: Apr 22 2009, 11:38 PM
+Quote Post
babyblue10
post Apr 23 2009, 12:19 PM

QUOTE(Lazycat @ Apr 22 2009, 11:35 PM)
its true maybe for some subjects, but when it comes to something that i really cant understand, i still need the lecturer to teach me that...i tried to study some subjects myself n the past, but eventually i failed...erm, well, thr are juz things that i wont understand if i dun get guidance(especially from a gud a lecturer), so, u can say that i'm pretty much dependent on the lecturer's quality of teaching..(knew it wasnt a good thing to do, but...hrm)
why don u discuss with frens of same course? I am sure it will improve your understanding?
+Quote Post
Lazycat
post Apr 23 2009, 11:26 PM

QUOTE(babyblue10 @ Apr 23 2009, 12:19 PM)
why don u discuss with frens of same course? I am sure it will improve your understanding?
i did hope i could, but i dun have a single fren goin thr, or even frenz that studied mechanical engineering thr..so, its really sux
+Quote Post
bluhound
post Apr 24 2009, 12:05 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Lazycat @ Apr 23 2009, 11:26 PM)
i did hope i could, but i dun have a single fren goin thr, or even frenz that studied mechanical engineering thr..so, its really sux
Err, try to make new friends?? whistling.gif
All of us have to go through that stage one way or another.....
+Quote Post
Lazycat
post Apr 25 2009, 01:29 PM

QUOTE(bluhound @ Apr 24 2009, 12:05 AM)
Err, try to make new friends??  whistling.gif
All of us have to go through that stage one way or another.....
yea, i know~~hope i'll get some pretty good friends though, not the study-u're kidding me-pub is better-kind of friend...u know what i mean..hehe
+Quote Post
babyblue10
post Apr 26 2009, 09:49 PM

i am sure u will eventually find one.. agree with bluhound that u need to get through that stage
+Quote Post
Lazycat
post Apr 28 2009, 12:25 AM

QUOTE(babyblue10 @ Apr 26 2009, 09:49 PM)
i am sure u will eventually find one.. agree with bluhound that u need to get through that stage
well, its a stage that everyone have to go through anyway, so, come on, bring it one !! XP
thz ya, babyblue and bluhound...^^
+Quote Post
bluhound
post Apr 28 2009, 12:59 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Lazycat @ Apr 28 2009, 12:25 AM)
well, its a stage that everyone have to go through anyway, so, come on, bring it one !! XP
thz ya, babyblue and bluhound...^^
no prob. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
hikashi
post May 1 2009, 07:17 PM

Feed with candy

QUOTE(IamjustME @ Apr 22 2009, 07:49 PM)
Fattening food is already a challenge.

Any suggestions?
dine at annie's kitchen above super save.
the lady do cater cheaper healthy mommy's food for the student. just ask her ^^
+Quote Post
bluhound
post May 1 2009, 09:23 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(hikashi @ May 1 2009, 07:17 PM)
dine at annie's kitchen above super save.
the lady do cater cheaper healthy mommy's food for the student. just ask her ^^
That or cook at home.
Well, occasionally.... if you know what I mean. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Roy33
post May 2 2009, 07:12 PM

are you sure annie's kitchen is cheap? looking at the menu, i can hardly spent less than rm5 to have a meal there.
+Quote Post
babyblue10
post May 6 2009, 12:44 PM

agree also annie's kitchen like a bit expensive. If cheap then why move out from curtin. Simply one things i need to say; i totally lose hope on senadin area to dine my dinner/lunch anymore ...
+Quote Post
Roy33
post May 8 2009, 08:21 PM

well, i usually take my dinner at yummy yummy.

fried rice with extra rice : rm3
iced tea : rm0.5
vege from the outside malay stall: rm0.5

whole meal is only rm4.

or, just buy fresh bread at dps and spread some honey onto it
+Quote Post
hikashi
post May 8 2009, 10:18 PM

Feed with candy

QUOTE(Roy33 @ May 2 2009, 07:12 PM)
are you sure annie's kitchen is cheap? looking at the menu, i can hardly spent less than rm5 to have a meal there.
dont look at the menu. she has special offer just for the student also. just ask her.

anyway, cahaya taufik lalapan ayam is awesum haha

Added on May 8, 2009, 10:19 pm
QUOTE(babyblue10 @ May 6 2009, 12:44 PM)
agree also annie's kitchen like a bit expensive. If cheap then why move out from curtin. Simply one things i need to say; i totally lose hope on senadin area to dine my dinner/lunch anymore ...
try her lasagna. over 9000 better than secret reciepe. srsly.
top with blue cheese mmmmm.

This post has been edited by hikashi: May 8 2009, 10:19 PM
+Quote Post
HW-12
post May 10 2009, 04:31 PM

Getting Started

Is network engineering (bachelor degree) available in Curtin Sarawak?
+Quote Post
raymones89
post May 11 2009, 11:59 AM

Getting Started

If want to make friends, lets go thai bar tongue.gif

although its not that good like mos, or barcelona in kl, but still okay lah
+Quote Post
syyang85
post May 11 2009, 01:54 PM

Rock & Roll Forever

hello ahkiat
+Quote Post
SubKi||er
post May 13 2009, 06:39 PM

QUOTE(HW-12 @ May 10 2009, 04:31 PM)
Is network engineering (bachelor degree) available in Curtin Sarawak?
Hrm...just found out there's this Curtin Sarawak thread biggrin.gif

I'm taking B.Tech(Computer Systems and Networking). Taking the CCNA components currently and finishing up my degree this year...
+Quote Post
jingga
post Jun 7 2009, 12:26 AM

Getting Started

Next week is the examination week sweat.gif ... Need to study till you bleed! rclxub.gif
+Quote Post
[XO]Jae
post Jun 9 2009, 09:16 PM

If i'm going to miri by air asia, as soon as i reach there..wat should i do n how can i go to curtin universiti from the airport?? icon_question.gif
+Quote Post
bluhound
post Jun 9 2009, 10:36 PM

Getting Started

Right after exiting the baggage collecting area, head to the right side that shows car rentals. One of the booth is the place to book a taxi. Just say Curtin University. You pay at the booth and they will give you a coupon then head outside and pick your taxi. Give the taxi driver the coupon.
Now most airports in M'sia uses the coupon system.

Or you can arrange Curtin's Airport Reception Service.
http://www.curtin.edu.my/international/int_office/ARS.htm
+Quote Post
[XO]Jae
post Jun 10 2009, 11:17 AM

QUOTE(bluhound @ Jun 9 2009, 10:36 PM)
Right after exiting the baggage collecting area, head to the right side that shows car rentals.  One of the booth is the place to book a taxi.  Just say Curtin University.  You pay at the booth and they will give you a coupon then head outside and pick your taxi.  Give the taxi driver the coupon.
Now most airports in M'sia uses the coupon system.

Or you can arrange Curtin's Airport Reception Service.
http://www.curtin.edu.my/international/int_office/ARS.htm
Thx for ur help,bluhound....i'm from penang, going to curtin university nex month...
Nice to meet you. smile.gif

Added on June 10, 2009, 11:25 amI'm a JPA scholarship holder. Suppose to report myself on 19th July.
Regarding the transport n lodging, do i hav to book d ticket n hostel myself or hav to wait 4 d arrangement from JPA ?

This post has been edited by [XO]Jae: Jun 10 2009, 11:36 AM
+Quote Post
sakurakinomoto
post Jun 11 2009, 08:49 AM

This was a triumph.

Why I didn't know a thread on Curtin existed.

Final exams are coming for us foundation lulz.

By the way, local here.
+Quote Post
raymones89
post Jun 20 2009, 04:56 PM

Getting Started

semester break finally ehhhhh

Happy Holidays guys biggrin.gif

Added on July 2, 2009, 5:17 amwhy so quiet in here lol

This post has been edited by raymones89: Jul 2 2009, 05:17 AM
+Quote Post
nerdychick
post Jul 6 2009, 04:01 PM

Hi peez !

I am intrested to do the double major Accounting an dFinance degree from Curtin University.I wonder if you guys can tell me more about it.....gimme the inside story? The good,bad and the ugly....

Thanks !!
+Quote Post
VelVetDreAmzZz^_^
post Jul 7 2009, 12:46 AM

Casual

Any Accounting and Finance double major students here? biggrin.gif

i m not frm the main campus, but we are doing the same course rite smile.gif))....lets be friends!lol!
+Quote Post
raymones89
post Jul 11 2009, 03:03 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(nerdychick @ Jul 6 2009, 04:01 PM)
Hi peez !

I am intrested to do the double major Accounting an dFinance degree from Curtin University.I wonder if you guys can tell me more about it.....gimme the inside story? The good,bad and the ugly....

Thanks !!
Inside story about? The life in campus? lol

Added on July 11, 2009, 3:04 am
QUOTE(VelVetDreAmzZz^_^ @ Jul 7 2009, 12:46 AM)
Any Accounting and Finance double major students here? biggrin.gif

i m not frm the main campus, but we are doing the same course rite smile.gif))....lets be friends!lol!
yeah lets be friends, somehow we will get the same cert hahahaha

This post has been edited by raymones89: Jul 11 2009, 03:04 AM
+Quote Post
jingga
post Jul 12 2009, 02:33 AM

Getting Started

2 more weeks left for semester break...
+Quote Post
bluhound
post Jul 12 2009, 08:57 PM

Getting Started

Sigh, this came as a shock to me.. sad.gif
Got a phone call this morning. Some damn idiots broke into my house in Miri. Literally looted the whole place upside down.
Like as if a hurricane went past it. cry.gif

House locked and armed but still managed to break the glass and cut the grille...
Current and new Curtin students..BE EXTRA VIGILANT when you're in Senadin.
Can't f*k'n believe it. mad.gif

Two cases of human stabbings, gang robbery, multiple break-ins around the area, others pets got stolen and now this, all within the first half of this year..... cry.gif
Its really getting me paranoid, safety's at risk....

Got the cops on a tail now...crossing fingers for answers.
*speechless*
sigh....
+Quote Post
[XO]Jae
post Jul 13 2009, 09:29 AM

QUOTE(bluhound @ Jul 12 2009, 08:57 PM)
Sigh, this came as a shock to me..  sad.gif
Got a phone call this morning.  Some damn idiots broke into my house in Miri.  Literally looted the whole place upside down.
Like as if a hurricane went past it.  cry.gif

House locked and armed but still managed to break the glass and cut the grille...
Current and new Curtin students..BE EXTRA VIGILANT when you're in Senadin.
Can't f*k'n believe it.  mad.gif

Two cases of human stabbings, gang robbery, multiple break-ins around the area, others pets got stolen and now this, all within the first half of this year.....  cry.gif
Its really getting me paranoid, safety's at risk....

Got the cops on a tail now...crossing fingers for answers.
*speechless*
sigh....
shocking.gif so serious?! omg..i'm going to curtin U this coming fri(new student)
anyway..thx for ur advice sweat.gif
+Quote Post
jingga
post Jul 16 2009, 11:07 PM

Getting Started

yeay i think robbery is quite common in senadin area. Even my friend's house in Curtin Village also "kena pecah masuk". The robber brought a machete some more. Luckily nothing bad happen to him, just his laptop and cash been robbed.
+Quote Post
hikashi
post Jul 19 2009, 01:19 PM

Feed with candy

same goes to other cities around the campus area.
+Quote Post
[XO]Jae
post Jul 24 2009, 03:35 PM

QUOTE(jingga @ Jul 16 2009, 11:07 PM)
yeay i think robbery is quite common in senadin area. Even my friend's house in Curtin Village also "kena pecah masuk". The robber brought a machete  some more.  Luckily nothing bad happen to him, just his laptop and cash been robbed.
shakehead.gif i thought curtin village's security is better than villa.. but oso 'kena pecah masuk'..unbelievable!!!

+Quote Post
bluhound
post Jul 24 2009, 03:47 PM

Getting Started

Both places are just as bad as staying outside.
Village "pecah masuk"...happened number of times already even when the students are inside the house. To the exent there was one time, the management hired guards and had German Shepard guard dogs on patrol.
They closed the Village gates and heavily restrict the movement of cars in the premises.

Now they removed the dogs but kept the gates closed but one "pecah masuk" is already enough to threaten the security over there.
Sames goes to Villa. I heard that there was one case where a person tried to sneak in via the Villa drains into the premises.

Cut it short, as long you're staying in Senadin, the risk is just too high to stay comfortably.
+Quote Post
jingga
post Jul 24 2009, 10:15 PM

Getting Started

Just make sure you lock the door properly and dont leave the gate open... i'm staying outside and once my housemate forgot to lock his motor plus the gate is open so wide like welcoming the robber... so guess what happen next.. sigh~
+Quote Post
xzjasonzx
post Jul 25 2009, 08:15 AM

Getting Started

Which courses do Curtin Sarawak specialized in?
+Quote Post
aijiet
post Aug 2 2009, 10:11 PM

QUOTE(nerdychick @ Jul 6 2009, 04:01 PM)
Hi peez !

Thanks !!
hi thr, im currently third year sem 1 in acc n fin. actually the lecturers, unit controllers and the syllabus keep changing from semester to semester so it'd be diff for every semester. i am a mirian n l live far away which means tat i have to drive 40mins to arrive. sweat.gif

Added on August 14, 2009, 1:00 pmnew curtin forum for clubs news and advertisng.
http://www.wemixallup.com

This post has been edited by aijiet: Aug 14 2009, 01:00 PM
+Quote Post
jingga
post Aug 17 2009, 10:11 PM

Getting Started

no wonder this thread is so quite...
+Quote Post
prettychic
post Aug 18 2009, 11:20 PM

Getting Started

Hi hi... Any1 taking chemical engineering there?
Plan to apply february 2010 intake...

Any attire code to follow when go to class?
Is it big campus?
Thank u

Added on September 6, 2009, 4:27 pmthis thread so quiet...

This post has been edited by prettychic: Sep 6 2009, 04:27 PM
+Quote Post
Eugene91
post Sep 6 2009, 09:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!

no attire code..

attire code may be required during presentations

campus? hmm.. ic ant say its big and neither its small.. LoL
+Quote Post
jingga
post Sep 16 2009, 10:24 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(prettychic @ Aug 18 2009, 11:20 PM)
Hi hi... Any1 taking chemical engineering there?
Plan to apply february 2010 intake...

Any attire code to follow when go to class?
Is it big campus?
Thank u

Hi i'm taking chemical engineering and currently in my third year. Havnt open this thread for a while... Theres no attire code when go to class only during lab session where you need to wear lab coat since you are going to deal with chemical stuff etc...
+Quote Post
Dennos
post Sep 19 2009, 10:31 PM

Look at all my stars!!

better visit the website and google the lecturer qualifications before u judge a particular course.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GinoMendes
post Sep 20 2009, 02:14 PM

wow, i cant believe this thread is still exists. haha, well, im now currently on week free, having 3 assignments on hands. darn stress. is foundation on free week now?

Added on September 20, 2009, 2:18 pmIf you guys want to ask me questions and info about Curtin, i would be glad to help you =)

This post has been edited by GinoMendes: Sep 20 2009, 02:18 PM
+Quote Post
raymones89
post Nov 4 2009, 04:29 PM

Getting Started

good luck in exam guys!
+Quote Post
MildBluese
post Nov 5 2009, 01:42 AM

Getting Started

Hey dudes and dudettes,

are any of you going to take the summer course? any idea how much they cost?
+Quote Post
SevenTwentyOne
post Nov 5 2009, 02:05 PM

Getting Started

hey guys, how's the accounting and finance degree there ?
+Quote Post
Xangel08
post Dec 11 2009, 11:15 PM

Hello there! Im gonna take foundation next year so i was wondering,the orientation thing..They spend the WHOLE week talking ab0ut what? The school?
+Quote Post
bluhound
post Dec 11 2009, 11:50 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Xangel08 @ Dec 11 2009, 11:15 PM)
Hello there! Im gonna take foundation next year so i was wondering,the orientation thing..They spend the WHOLE week talking ab0ut what? The school?
Check out Curtin's O'week page. http://www.curtin.edu.my/oweek/about.htm
O'week Programmes are available on that page but it is for 2009. However, it is similar for every year.
I attended mine back in '08. Only went for the first few days for some enrollment stuff and car sticker registration as in between the days the organisers had organised some group ice breaking activities which I was not interested at.... sweat.gif
+Quote Post
Xangel08
post Dec 12 2009, 09:23 AM

So do they have clubs or something? What group ice breaking activities?

Added on December 12, 2009, 8:46 pmoh and also,i go for orientation first before buying the books right?

This post has been edited by Xangel08: Dec 12 2009, 08:46 PM
+Quote Post
Agent 47
post Dec 18 2009, 01:30 PM

Getting Started

Two Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan (Malay medium) (STPM) passes (prior 2003 - min. one C and one D grade) (2003 onwards - min. one B and one C+ grade) and three credit passes at SPM level and English competence OR Completion of the Malaysian Independent Chinese Secondary Schools Unified Examination (UEC) in at least 5 subjects with 2 "A" grades and 2 "B" grades (excluding languages) and English competence.

I'm a A-Levels student, does this mean that I cant study here?
+Quote Post
bluhound
post Dec 19 2009, 04:41 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Xangel08 @ Dec 12 2009, 09:23 AM)
So do they have clubs or something? What group ice breaking activities?

Added on December 12, 2009, 8:46 pmoh and also,i go for orientation first before buying the books right?
Yes, they do have clubs. Just think of what clubs you have back in high school and most probably you'll find it there, with some extras.

Ice-breaking activities as in a type of "get to know you" activities. There are actually many types of ice breaking activities however while I was there (no flaming pls, it's just my own point of view.) the organisers pick the activities that are more suited for a much younger age group (early teens)......

As for buying books, you can them at any appropriate time as there is a dedicated bookshop selling books all week. You will only know what books you need once you attend your first lectures (or for those who do not attend them, the 'unit outline' via Curtin's web site will mention it).

FYI, books are kinda pricey. I bought books with prices ranging from RM90 to a hole burning RM600!... shocking.gif There are photocopies around but *cough* 'officially' *cough* they are not allowed to be used in lectures. Something about breach of copyright or something like that......
However, if you're taking a unit with an open book exam, only original copies allowed...

QUOTE(Agent 47 @ Dec 18 2009, 01:30 PM)
Yes, you can. I entered Curtin with my A-Level results.

To enter foundation, you'll need SPM or equivalent.
To enter a degree course, you'll need either STPM, A-Levels, UEC or equivalent.
If you need more info, check the Curtin 2010 prospectus.

This post has been edited by bluhound: Dec 19 2009, 04:43 PM
+Quote Post
raymones89
post Dec 30 2009, 05:39 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Agent 47 @ Dec 18 2009, 01:30 PM)
I'm a a-level student too and i used my a level result to enter curtin! tongue.gif
+Quote Post
JYKY
post Jan 12 2010, 11:13 PM

Getting Started

What are the entry requirements for ENG courses using A-levels? isit reli 9 points? o there is no cut-off score?
+Quote Post
bluhound
post Jan 12 2010, 11:25 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(JYKY @ Jan 12 2010, 11:13 PM)
What are the entry requirements for ENG courses using A-levels? isit reli 9 points? o there is no cut-off score?
If I am not mistaken, yes. I was told that starting from 2010 onwards, minimum points to enter Engineering will be 9 points which is an increase of 2 points from last year. Below is how credits is calculated from your A-Level grade (as of 08-09).

E - 1 point
D - 2 points
C - 3 points
B - 4 points
A - 5 points
+Quote Post
JYKY
post Jan 12 2010, 11:36 PM

Getting Started

alright thx. i dunno they will consider my application onot since i hav oni 8 pts using my forecast.bt neway i wanna apply for Feb 2010 intake,but it seems that application closing date is dec 2009..so dunno can onot.. i applied through IDP Australia.

Any students wanna share their exp at Curtin,sarawak? facilities,teaching quality,etc..

Added on January 14, 2010, 6:18 pmy this thread so dead? hmm.gif

This post has been edited by JYKY: Jan 14 2010, 06:18 PM
+Quote Post
huangpl89
post Jan 15 2010, 07:53 AM

Getting Started

lol! i'm from miri sarawak. most of my friend study accounting marketing there. and i went there before, should be quite a nice environment there. teaching i duno lah.
+Quote Post
raymones89
post Jan 24 2010, 03:17 AM

Getting Started

yeah why this thread is so dead? make it alive fellow curtinians!!!

I think they are trying to improve.. construction here and there...

Facilities wise, I'd say its quite good..

Teaching is ok ok lah for engineering...

It depends on individual, if you could manage to adapt to the live there, you will actually enjoy staying there. It's a peaceful place actually.. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
viva321123
post Jan 25 2010, 10:32 AM

hey guys.

phew~ luckily i found this thread or else would be dreading for answers about this uni by myself.

i would like to ask anybody taking foundation in commerce here?
i want to know more about the lecturers?
are they good?
facilities?

thanks.
+Quote Post
raymones89
post Feb 22 2010, 08:56 PM

Getting Started

i guess everyone is going back to miri soon!
+Quote Post
bluhound
post Feb 22 2010, 10:20 PM

Getting Started

Yep... smile.gif
Already starting to miss the holidays... sad.gif
+Quote Post
fantasy1989
post Mar 2 2010, 12:13 AM

Nokia Agent

erm ..can i know how to complete the credit transfer?

currently i just finished my diploma of Computer Engineering (awaiting taking cert) but get all result already

how to do credit transfer ?

because i want to know can deduct how many year? smile.gif

your help will appreciated

regards
layfon

This post has been edited by fantasy1989: Mar 2 2010, 12:13 AM
+Quote Post
torresgerrardbest
post Mar 6 2010, 02:28 PM

why this thread is so dead?

hey guys,i plan to study there after getting my spm result..hmm..planning to take foundation of commerce...

so,what shud i know about curtin uni?is curtin good?is the facilities good?as well as the lecturer..
+Quote Post
jason18689
post Mar 8 2010, 10:29 AM

[Se7en years @ LYN]

Hey guys!
I wanna ask you guys something...
How is the broadband service over there?
If you stay at the hostel there, does the internet provided?
If yes, how was it? Bad all the time?
Thanks ~
+Quote Post
bluhound
post Mar 8 2010, 10:37 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(jason18689 @ Mar 8 2010, 10:29 AM)
Hey guys!
I wanna ask you guys something...
How is the broadband service over there?
If you stay at the hostel there, does the internet provided?
If yes, how was it? Bad all the time?
Thanks ~
If you stay at the hostel, free WiFi is provided (DeConnexion - free registration required). Max speed depends on the numbers of users online. Last time I used it it was only average with predictable downtimes (aka A LOT).

Streamyx is available over there but only max of 1Mbps. However, it depends on which housing phase you are going to stay at. Some areas only get max speed of 100KB/s but I usually get 170KB/s-ish.

This post has been edited by bluhound: Mar 8 2010, 12:42 PM
+Quote Post
fantasy1989
post Mar 8 2010, 01:46 PM

Nokia Agent

can i ask where to get the application form?

maybe want go to here and study and how about the cert?

outstation or local?

+Quote Post
jason18689
post Mar 8 2010, 08:09 PM

[Se7en years @ LYN]

QUOTE(bluhound @ Mar 8 2010, 10:37 AM)
If you stay at the hostel, free WiFi is provided (DeConnexion - free registration required).  Max speed depends on the numbers of users online.  Last time I used it it was only average with predictable downtimes (aka A LOT).

Streamyx is available over there but only max of 1Mbps.  However, it depends on which housing phase you are going to stay at.  Some areas only get max speed of 100KB/s but I usually get 170KB/s-ish.
Owh okay... Thanks for the info..
Anyway, i heard the telephone line there was bad, particularly for Digi....

+Quote Post
bluhound
post Mar 8 2010, 10:28 PM

Getting Started

Right now its Celcom. I had to call out a couple of times before I can get a successful call. I either get hang ups, robot sounding voice, no sound from both parties or voice mails.... =(

I suspect that there are quite a number of Celcom Broadband users there, causing congestion. If I head down to the city centre, all is fine.
+Quote Post
jason18689
post Mar 9 2010, 07:19 PM

[Se7en years @ LYN]

Well, i did tried to call digi number there, phew it was hard to get....
and yea, celcom broadband is famous there huh? Lots of them are using there...haha!
+Quote Post
bluhound
post Mar 9 2010, 07:39 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(jason18689 @ Mar 9 2010, 07:19 PM)
Well, i did tried to call digi number there, phew it was hard to get....
and yea, celcom broadband is famous there huh? Lots of them are using there...haha!
Yeah, because of that my calls kept on dropping off and 3G video calls become terrible. The other party's face became jumbled squares.
Last year it was just fine.
sigh......

I guess it bad news for me but good news for Curtin, it means more students have enrolled to Curtin... unsure.gif
+Quote Post
jason18689
post Mar 9 2010, 07:56 PM

[Se7en years @ LYN]

haha okay, thanks for the information...
asked a lot cuz its quite frustrating to call my friend whose at curtin now...
you have to at least call 5 times or so before getting the "toot toot" sound...
the worst of all, they charge me when i heard "sorry, wat not available"..
+Quote Post
aries91
post Jun 25 2010, 11:15 AM

Getting Started

i got an offer to study chemical eng in curtin also.. but hvn make my decision yet
juz wanted to ask curtin chemical eng has a lot of ppl enroll each year??
n how abt the lecturer?
coz dunno whether job prospect good or not wen come out from chemical eng..
thanks smile.gif
+Quote Post
violet05
post Jun 25 2010, 06:23 PM

hi all... smile.gif
most probably i'l go to curtin to continue my study in degree accounting and finance....
anyone doing this course or done with it?
mayb i'll enter year 2 as i am a diploma holder due to some cr. transfer...
the admission dept told me that it is tough studyin at curtin and even getting pointer of 2.5 is hard..
is it true?

for the bumi's, is there anyone taking this course with MARA loan?
how much mara give for monthly allowance?
give comments guys, i really appreciate it icon_question.gif

thanks in advance notworthy.gif

+Quote Post
josey92
post Jun 25 2010, 08:50 PM

Hi.... I'm going to Curtin next month, taking a foundation course.
I'm just wondering.. how is the connection for Celcom broadband over at the Villa as I'll be staying there.
I Read about the safety "hazards" robbing and such unsure.gif and I'm quite worried about that but all in all I'm quite excited about studying there icon_rolleyes.gif
Any advice for me?
Hoping to make good friends in Curtin biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
aries91
post Jun 25 2010, 08:57 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(josey92 @ Jun 25 2010, 08:50 PM)
Hi.... I'm going to Curtin next month, taking a foundation course.
I'm just wondering.. how is the connection for Celcom broadband over at the Villa as I'll be staying there.
I Read about the safety "hazards" robbing and such  unsure.gif and I'm quite worried about that but all in all I'm quite excited about studying there  icon_rolleyes.gif 
Any advice for me?
Hoping to make good friends in Curtin  biggrin.gif
i'm going 2 curtin also tis july and staying in villa also~~
nice to meet you biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
josey92
post Jun 25 2010, 09:31 PM

Oh cool!! biggrin.gif so nice to meet you hahaha.. what course are you taking?
+Quote Post
aries91
post Jun 26 2010, 08:05 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(josey92 @ Jun 25 2010, 09:31 PM)
Oh cool!! biggrin.gif so nice to meet you hahaha.. what course are you taking?
taking chemical eng biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
josey92
post Jun 26 2010, 11:04 AM

QUOTE(aries91 @ Jun 26 2010, 08:05 AM)
taking chemical eng biggrin.gif
Nice! I'm taking a foundation in media studies biggrin.gif
Nice to meet someone that will be staying where I'll be staying thumbup.gif
Where are you from?
+Quote Post
aries91
post Jun 26 2010, 11:55 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(josey92 @ Jun 26 2010, 11:04 AM)
Nice! I'm taking a foundation in media studies  biggrin.gif
Nice to meet someone that will be staying where I'll be staying thumbup.gif
Where are you from?
hi me too feel very happy~~
i'm from johor here..
how abt u??
+Quote Post
josey92
post Jun 26 2010, 12:40 PM

QUOTE(aries91 @ Jun 26 2010, 11:55 AM)
hi me too feel very happy~~
i'm from johor here..
how abt u??
I'm from Kuching Sarawak... its only 12 hours drive from Miri
Wow Johor is across the sea laugh.gif
well welcome to Sarawak when u get here
May we meet on campus... icon_rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
aries91
post Jun 26 2010, 02:20 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(josey92 @ Jun 26 2010, 12:40 PM)
I'm from Kuching Sarawak... its only 12 hours drive from Miri
Wow Johor is across the sea  laugh.gif
well welcome to Sarawak when u get here 
May we meet on campus...  icon_rolleyes.gif
yup need 2 go there by airplane~~
going there on 24 of july
btw other than offer letter from curtin did u receive other letters or books from curtin?
coz feel a little bit weird wit only hv offer letter.. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
josey92
post Jun 26 2010, 06:23 PM

QUOTE(aries91 @ Jun 26 2010, 02:20 PM)
yup need 2 go there by airplane~~
going there on 24 of july
btw other than offer letter from curtin did u receive other letters or books from curtin?
coz feel a little bit weird wit only hv offer letter.. biggrin.gif
Nah I only got the offer letter too. smile.gif
So no worries I guess...
Books we'll be getting from there i guess.. from the bookshop...
+Quote Post
aries91
post Jun 26 2010, 08:57 PM

Getting Started

have u pay 4 ur accomodation??
+Quote Post
josey92
post Jun 27 2010, 12:36 AM

QUOTE(aries91 @ Jun 26 2010, 08:57 PM)
have u pay 4 ur accomodation??
Yep I have...
Isn't there a deadline to pay for accommodation so that they'll save a space for you? hmm.gif
Well that's what I heard anyway smile.gif
+Quote Post
aries91
post Jun 27 2010, 12:49 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(josey92 @ Jun 27 2010, 12:36 AM)
Yep I have...
Isn't there a deadline to pay for accommodation so that they'll save a space for you?  hmm.gif
Well that's what I heard anyway  smile.gif
yup i heard tat b4 but ten jpa make me confuse lo~~
tey say pay 4 me ten say pay myself~~ dunno wat 2 do..
maybe need 2 go 2 the pre-briefing near johor here coming tis 4th of july
btw do we hv 2 do medical check up??
+Quote Post
josey92
post Jun 29 2010, 12:14 PM

QUOTE(aries91 @ Jun 27 2010, 12:49 AM)
Owh ur a JPA scholarship holder hahaha awesome.. congrats thumbup.gif
Mhmm... that is confusing... if there is a pre-briefing then yes u should go for that... it might be really helpful
I don't.. no news about me having to do one so I'm not sure... maybe JPA would want you to have a check-up though smile.gif
+Quote Post
aries91
post Jun 29 2010, 02:05 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(josey92 @ Jun 29 2010, 12:14 PM)
Owh ur a JPA scholarship holder hahaha awesome.. congrats  thumbup.gif
Mhmm... that is confusing... if there is a pre-briefing then yes u should go for that... it might be really helpful
I don't.. no news about me having to do one so I'm not sure... maybe JPA would want you to have a check-up though  smile.gif
haha thanks biggrin.gif
ya i sure will go the pre-departure briefing coz tey say can meet with lecturers
and got chatting sessions with tem smile.gif
so exicted rclxms.gif
+Quote Post
Euthenics
post Jul 17 2010, 08:02 PM

Getting Started

May I know a rough estimate as to the total number of students currently are studying in Curtin Uni of the Sarawak Campus?
+Quote Post
aries91
post Jul 17 2010, 08:09 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Euthenics @ Jul 17 2010, 08:02 PM)
May I know a rough estimate as to the total number of students currently are studying in Curtin Uni of the Sarawak Campus?
i heard the briefing they say is abt 3000 like that.. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Euthenics
post Jul 21 2010, 01:15 AM

Getting Started

Thanks, aries91! rclxms.gif
+Quote Post
Lifeless@_@
post Aug 18 2010, 03:24 PM

Getting Started

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

+1 nice one, dude! thumbup.gif

QUOTE(ginolo @ Jun 21 2008, 06:28 PM)
Hi guys~ im here dy. living at villa...im finding friends here ...anyone there?

:>[/size][/color]
guess u ordi familar by now, haha. i'm @villa btw, u still ther? wot course u t8kin?

QUOTE(aries91 @ Jun 27 2010, 12:49 AM)
hey, u jpa scholar? me too^^ phase 1? foundation/degree? i came in laz july, afta spm.

this only applies to foundation jpa: bout ur fees, u dun hv2 pay anything. jpa will pay all including rental. $$ for allowance will b banked in but not so fast..abt few weeks to one month after u enter curtin.

but when u move to degree u hafta pay rental on ur own first (if u stil stayin@ lakeside/villa/village)

now u muz be at curtin liao ryte? how many jpa scholars from ur batch? my batch got abt 40 plus. if need any help (esp abt d stuck up internet problem =P) juz lemme noe ur student ID, i can find u from the list. cheers

This post has been edited by Lifeless@_@: Aug 18 2010, 03:35 PM
+Quote Post
raymones89
post Aug 24 2010, 10:46 AM

Getting Started

its Curtin University, Sarawak Campus now
+Quote Post
Panda12
post Sep 16 2010, 10:09 AM

Enthusiast

Open Day this saturday! Anyone going??
+Quote Post
okhan
post Oct 5 2010, 03:24 PM

how is the comp science course in curtin???
+Quote Post
Ninjiom
post Oct 30 2010, 07:21 PM

anyone taking civil & construction engineering?

This post has been edited by Ninjiom: Nov 12 2010, 09:00 PM
+Quote Post
erueimo
post Nov 18 2010, 05:38 PM

Anyone in Foundation year for engineering and science? I am going for the next February 2011 intake... fast track program... any curtin seniors wanna fill me with info on this one? =)
+Quote Post
Ninjiom
post Nov 20 2010, 05:50 PM

looks like this thread is dead... sad.gif
+Quote Post
SAAD SALMAN
post Dec 12 2010, 08:48 PM

YES I AM GOING CURTIN FOR THIS JAN 2011 INTAKE..........

Added on December 12, 2010, 8:50 pmYES I AM GOING FOR FOUNDATION IN ENGINEERING PROGRAM...
ANY 1 ELSE GOING WITH ME?

Added on December 12, 2010, 8:55 pmLOLX THANX....I AM JOINING CURTIN SARAWAK IN THIS FEB 2011 INTAKE....PLZ HELP ME IN KNOWING SARAWAK,MIRI ,AS I dont know about it...i am new to this place....though i love it...XD

This post has been edited by SAAD SALMAN: Dec 12 2010, 08:55 PM
+Quote Post
im_stung
post Apr 5 2011, 08:51 PM

Hey does anyone know how to go online in the ICT lab? i can't go anywhere but curtin's domain D:
+Quote Post
dessert
post Apr 15 2011, 12:58 PM

what is the diploma of process plant technology? Anyone taking this course?
+Quote Post
Malaya1
post Apr 19 2011, 03:05 AM

Hello all, i am an international student. I have contacted Curtin yesterday for the undergraduate Mechanical Engineering. They replied via e-mail that i send the documents soon if interested to join July 2011 Intake.

So guys please help me, i am going to send documents to Curtin in a day or 2. My questions are all very general like why i choose Curtin University, how is the university, number of international students, it's reputation, recognition/accredit, quality of studies, fees for international students(any hidden fees?)...etc. Need opinions only on education. Things like shopping centers, good transport...etc are not very important.

Thank you
+Quote Post
tehtmc
post Apr 19 2011, 11:48 AM

Regular
Group: Validating

QUOTE(Malaya1 @ Apr 19 2011, 03:05 AM)
Hello all, i am an international student. I have contacted Curtin yesterday for the undergraduate Mechanical Engineering. They replied via e-mail that i send the documents soon if interested to join July 2011 Intake.

So guys please help me, i am going to send documents to Curtin in a day or 2. My questions are all very general like why i choose Curtin University, how is the university, number of international students, it's reputation, recognition/accredit, quality of studies, fees for international students(any hidden fees?)...etc. Need opinions only on education. Things like shopping centers, good transport...etc are not very important.

Thank you
I thought the answers are found throughout this thread if you care to read through it? wink.gif
Curtin campus is nice and serene, quite conducive for study I'd say..minimum distractions unlike big cities.
The fees are way cheaper than Nottingham/Monash (by abt 60%)
Sarawak seems like very far to a lot of people from Peninsular who have not been there, but it's only 2-hr flight and the airfare is cheap.
The last I checked, MAS was offering special airfare to Miri at RM 145 one way, which is even cheaper than AA.
+Quote Post
raymones89
post May 24 2011, 01:53 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(tehtmc @ Apr 19 2011, 11:48 AM)
I thought the answers are found throughout this thread if you care to read through it?  wink.gif
Curtin campus is nice and serene, quite conducive for study I'd say..minimum distractions unlike big cities.
Sarawak seems like very far to a lot of people from Peninsular who have not been there, but it's only 2-hr flight and the airfare is cheap.
The last I checked, MAS was offering special airfare to Miri at RM 145 one way, which is even cheaper than AA.

Can you clarify this?
+Quote Post
SPYiNG
post May 27 2011, 11:17 PM

Getting Started

The tuition fee is shown here. You can take a look in this.

Prospectus 2011

I'm curtin engineering foundation sem 2 student ^^ And I'm a local.

The number of international students are quite many actually BTW. There are others coming from the west malaysia and sabah as well.
In my group, (total around 20 only as we are from july 2010 intake for foundation sem 1 so the group is smaller, if it's january intake there will be more students)

half of us are sarawakian (chinese n bumiputras like iban), 3-4 from sabah, 1 from burma and 2-3 from west malaysia.

To those thinking of coming here:

Welcome to Curtin and hope you enjoy your studies here. =)

Just an advice, if u are coming to miri to have fun, you will be disappointed. Miri, according to some people, is simply a dead town. LOL
Not much nightlife here.

BTW, surprise to see you here, tehtmc. =)

Added on June 16, 2011, 10:29 pmTo add in some info, the number of international students that are studying foundation in engineering in my batch is 9 people. For the foundation in arts and commerce, i'm not sure. =)

This post has been edited by SPYiNG: Jun 16 2011, 10:29 PM
+Quote Post
prelude23
post Jul 5 2011, 12:31 AM

SoonKyu 사랑해!

Hi guys.

I'm a student recruitment officer in Curtin University.
Did my Diploma in TARC and Degree in Curtin.

I see so many unanswered question in this thread and since I'm a LYNer, I will try my best to help you guys on your enquiries and doubts.

Hope to revive this thread too lol.

This post has been edited by prelude23: Jul 5 2011, 12:41 AM
+Quote Post
prelude23
post Jul 5 2011, 12:41 AM

SoonKyu 사랑해!

Just a rundown of Curtin University.

People often think that we are lousy U as we are located in Miri. A lot of you might not have even heard of Miri and this put off the idea of coming to Curtin. Rest assured, Miri is a peaceful place and best suited if you need a peaceful environment to study. People here are harmonious and far better than West Malaysian. Those who had been in Miri can vouch for this.

Curtin University Sarawak is famed for its School of Business and School of Engineering. Our best two courses, Civil & Construction Engineering and Chemical Engineering are world class programs. We are only behind Monash and Nottingham if you guys are comparing it among the IPTS in Malaysia. We offered a range of double major under our Commerce Degree.

As we are branch campus and also not twinning campus, we have the privilege to deliver courses in symmetry as our main campus in Perth, Australia. Lecture notes, assignments, presentations and final exam is exactly the same as what they have in Perth. Even the certificate is identical.

So if you have any question, please pm me for more details or visit our website at http://www.curtin.edu.my/index.htm

The second intake for 2011 is still open!!

ps. im doing this out of goodwill. no commission for me. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
joybutterable
post Jul 7 2011, 01:54 PM

QUOTE(prelude23 @ Jul 5 2011, 12:41 AM)
Just a rundown of Curtin University.

People often think that we are lousy U as we are located in Miri. A lot of you might not have even heard of Miri and this put off the idea of coming to Curtin. Rest assured, Miri is a peaceful place and best suited if you need a peaceful environment to study. People here are harmonious and far better than West Malaysian. Those who had been in Miri can vouch for this.

Curtin University Sarawak is famed for its School of Business and School of Engineering. Our best two courses, Civil & Construction Engineering and Chemical Engineering are world class programs. We are only behind Monash and Nottingham if you guys are comparing it among the IPTS in Malaysia. We offered a range of double major under our Commerce Degree.

As we are branch campus and also not twinning campus, we have the privilege to deliver courses in symmetry as our main campus in Perth, Australia. Lecture notes, assignments, presentations and final exam is exactly the same as what they have in Perth. Even the certificate is identical.

So if you have any question, please pm me for more details or visit our website at http://www.curtin.edu.my/index.htm

The second intake for 2011 is still open!!

ps. im doing this out of goodwill. no commission for me.  tongue.gif
hi prelude, i wanna ask about the living cost in miri, as i am from kuching, i sit much difference compared to here? and regarding the lakeside apartment, other than the room size are different, what makes the price for both are different?
thanl you!
+Quote Post
prelude23
post Jul 7 2011, 05:55 PM

SoonKyu 사랑해!

QUOTE(joybutterable @ Jul 7 2011, 01:54 PM)
hi prelude, i wanna ask about the living cost in miri, as i am from kuching, i sit much difference compared to here? and regarding the lakeside apartment, other than the room size are different, what makes the price for both are different?
thanl you!
Living cost in Miri is pretty cheap. Just standby around RM20 per day for meals which I think is more than enough. Excluding the accommodation, I saying you are looking at around Rm600 - Rm800 per month. Transport is free since we have college bus. Other expenses might be your entertainment.

Price different? What are you comparing against? Let's assume you are comparing against Curtin Villa and Vilage. Lakeside apartment is located inside the campus while the other 2 are located outside the campus. That is why it is more expensive as it is only 5 minutes away from the campus. Very convenient but food choices are limited.

You have to be fast if you wanna book accommodation oh.
+Quote Post
raymones89
post Jul 7 2011, 06:52 PM

Getting Started

next next week start sem again looooo doh.gif

Holidays this time is kinda fast

Added on July 7, 2011, 6:58 pmprelude23 can make a siggy for curtin students? thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by raymones89: Jul 7 2011, 06:58 PM
+Quote Post
joybutterable
post Jul 7 2011, 07:16 PM

QUOTE(prelude23 @ Jul 7 2011, 05:55 PM)
Living cost in Miri is pretty cheap. Just standby around RM20 per day for meals which I think is more than enough. Excluding the accommodation, I saying you are looking at around Rm600 - Rm800 per month. Transport is free since we have college bus. Other expenses might be your entertainment.

Price different? What are you comparing against? Let's assume you are comparing against Curtin Villa and Vilage. Lakeside apartment is located inside the campus while the other 2 are located outside the campus. That is why it is more expensive as it is only 5 minutes away from the campus. Very convenient but food choices are limited.

You have to be fast if you wanna book accommodation oh.
thank you, i actually mean the lakeside 1 and lakeside 2. Most probably i will only join in the february intake as im only finishing my diploma this coming august. does the lakeside apartment comes with pantry?

+Quote Post
raymones89
post Jul 7 2011, 07:43 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(joybutterable @ Jul 7 2011, 07:16 PM)
thank you, i actually mean the lakeside 1 and lakeside 2. Most probably i will only join in the february intake as im only finishing my diploma this coming august. does the lakeside apartment comes with pantry?
Hi, I used to stay in lakeside 1. Yes, lakeside 1 comes with a pantry on every floor. Lakeside 2 has pantry connected to every few rooms. Hope that helps. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
prelude23
post Jul 7 2011, 08:23 PM

SoonKyu 사랑해!

QUOTE(raymones89 @ Jul 7 2011, 06:52 PM)
next next week start sem again looooo  doh.gif

Holidays this time is kinda fast

Added on July 7, 2011, 6:58 pmprelude23 can make a siggy for curtin students?  thumbup.gif
I'm student recruitment officer not graphic designer le. laugh.gif
Though I'm Curtin graduate also la. Graduate in April this year. tongue.gif

QUOTE(joybutterable @ Jul 7 2011, 07:16 PM)
Oh lakeside 1 and 2. Lakeside 2 is only for female whereas lakeside 1 is mixed. Yeap, lakeside apartments comes with kitchen and electrical stove so you guys can do you cookings inside the apartment.

Anything regarding the application you may pm me lo. I am most willing to help. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(raymones89 @ Jul 7 2011, 07:43 PM)
Hi, I used to stay in lakeside 1. Yes, lakeside 1 comes with a pantry on every floor. Lakeside 2 has pantry connected to every few rooms. Hope that helps.  biggrin.gif
Actually lakeside 1 and lakeside 2 has different layout.

Lakeside 1 is more to hostel whereas lakeside 2 design is like normal apartment. Lakeside 1, if you enter, you will see rows of rooms and there's kitchen and bathroom. If you enter lakeside 2, you will see living room then rooms. More like your normal house la. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Hassan Baloch
post Jul 19 2011, 06:31 AM

Hi Prelude,

I'm International student and have plans to join Curtin in January 2012. I intended to live in Lakeside apartments-2 but you ruined my plans... lolx :p... Are you sure lakeside apartments-II are only for females?

And I need your suggestion too please, I know nothing about Malaysia... I'm going to join MSc PM which only has classes on weekends. So, I would be free most of the time. Being International student (Male), what do you suggest where I should staying. On campus in lakeside apartments, in curtin village or in curtin villa? Which place would best to kill time?

And please do tell me where mostly international students stay? I want to be amongst international students. Detailed reply please. Thank you... :)

Added on July 19, 2011, 6:33 am
QUOTE(prelude23 @ Jul 4 2011, 09:31 PM)
Hi guys.

I'm a student recruitment officer in Curtin University.
Did my Diploma in TARC and Degree in Curtin.

I see so many unanswered question in this thread and since I'm a LYNer, I will try my best to help you guys on your enquiries and doubts.

Hope to revive this thread too lol.
Hi Prelude,

I'm International student and have plans to join Curtin in January 2012. I intended to live in Lakeside apartments-2 but you ruined my plans... lolx :p... Are you sure lakeside apartments-II are only for females?

And I need your suggestion too please, I know nothing about Malaysia... I'm going to join MSc PM which only has classes on weekends. So, I would be free most of the time. Being International student (Male), what do you suggest where I should staying. On campus in lakeside apartments, in curtin village or in curtin villa? Which place would best to kill time?

And please do tell me where mostly international students stay? I want to be amongst international students. Detailed reply please. Thank you... :)

Added on July 19, 2011, 6:40 amI'm International student and have plans to join Curtin in January 2012. Please suggest me where I should opt to stay? On campus in lakeside apartments or in curtin villas?

And please do tell me where mostly international students stay? I want to be amongst international students. Thank you... :)

This post has been edited by Hassan Baloch: Jul 19 2011, 06:40 AM
+Quote Post
joybutterable
post Jul 19 2011, 10:26 AM

QUOTE(raymones89 @ Jul 7 2011, 07:43 PM)
Hi, I used to stay in lakeside 1. Yes, lakeside 1 comes with a pantry on every floor. Lakeside 2 has pantry connected to every few rooms. Hope that helps.  biggrin.gif
Im still undecided, dunno should i opt for villa, village or lakeside. villa is a bit far right?
+Quote Post
prelude23
post Jul 28 2011, 08:02 PM

SoonKyu 사랑해!

QUOTE(Hassan Baloch @ Jul 19 2011, 06:31 AM)
Hi Prelude,

I'm International student and have plans to join Curtin in January 2012. I intended to live in Lakeside apartments-2 but you ruined my plans... lolx tongue.gif... Are you sure lakeside apartments-II are only for females?

And please do tell me where mostly international students stay? I want to be amongst international students. Detailed reply please. Thank you... smile.gif

I would suggest that you stay in Curtin Villa or Village which is located outside our campus. From what I see, you are getting MPM which means you have a lot of time to kill over the weekdays and I dont really see what can you do in Lakeside Apartment during the weekdays.

As Curtin Villa and Village are located outside campus, freedom is more. You can go in and out as you like unlike Lakeside Apartment. Maybe you can do some part time job over the weekdays. I'm not sure about the law towards foreigners. tongue.gif

Added on July 28, 2011, 8:06 pm
QUOTE(joybutterable @ Jul 19 2011, 10:26 AM)
Im still undecided, dunno should i opt for villa, village or lakeside. villa is a bit far right?
Lakeside apartment: Near to campus but limited choice of food. Can cook inside though.

Villa: Off campus but nearer compared to Village. Best place of accommodation. Very full every semester. Must apply really early to get it.

Village: Further down from campus. Will be a wise choice if you or your friend has transport. Otherwise, it's same as Villa.

This post has been edited by prelude23: Jul 28 2011, 08:06 PM
+Quote Post
natalie sy
post Aug 3 2011, 11:03 PM

Getting Started

is curtin still collaborate with Inti in Miri? i thought they have collaborated with University of Wollongong now..
+Quote Post
Jjdesu
post Aug 22 2011, 06:54 PM

Casual

for curtin sarawak right...the degree cert same with curtin aus? or it just written curtin sarawak?
+Quote Post
SGSuser
post Aug 22 2011, 07:32 PM

In your way

QUOTE(Jjdesu @ Aug 22 2011, 06:54 PM)
for curtin sarawak right...the degree cert same with curtin aus? or it just written curtin sarawak?
should be the same wif oz one
+Quote Post
Darshan
post Sep 4 2011, 07:32 PM

Hey guys, got a question to ask, does anyone know when is the summer classes for business courses starting and when is the due date for registration?

Thanks
+Quote Post
justin85
post Sep 4 2011, 08:47 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(SGSuser @ Aug 22 2011, 07:32 PM)
should be the same wif oz one
same as oz one

o/t: good to see curtin swak lyn thread here rclxms.gif ...
+Quote Post
joybutterable
post Sep 21 2011, 07:28 AM

if i apply for villa if successful then do i move in one week before orientation or when?
+Quote Post
Jjdesu
post Sep 21 2011, 10:19 AM

Casual

i wish to know more about the direct transfer and student exchange or something like that...how the system works and how they calculate the fees like 1 yr here 2 yrs perth or 2yrs here and 1 yr in perth...enlighten me please sad.gif
+Quote Post
SPYiNG
post Sep 26 2011, 01:58 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(natalie sy @ Aug 3 2011, 11:03 PM)

I think you mistaken the Inti Sarawak in Kuching with Inti in Miri. Cos i never knew there's Inti in Miri. LOL

Added on September 26, 2011, 9:37 pm
QUOTE(Darshan @ Sep 4 2011, 07:32 PM)

Normally, the summer classes i think they are conducted during the first few months(Jan-Mar) before the march intake. Only my guess, as i'm not that sure about that. U might want to check the curtin website, www.curtin.edu.my

Added on September 26, 2011, 9:40 pm
QUOTE(joybutterable @ Sep 21 2011, 07:28 AM)

if not mistaken, u have to move in before the orientation starts. Most of my friends coming from other places attended the orientation week. But still, it's up to you.. u know... not all students are willing to attend the orientation week tongue.gif

Added on September 26, 2011, 9:52 pm
QUOTE(Jjdesu @ Sep 21 2011, 10:19 AM)

until now (almost 1.5 years in curtin) i only know that there are this 'transfer to perth for one sem' program that is available to be applied every semester. The fee of that particular semester u go to curtin perth will be counted in MYR (which means u pay curtin sarawak's fee, u get curtin perth's 1 semester, obviously cheaper), but if u decided to stay thr for the next few semesters, that's another case i think.

And i'm not sure how many times a student can apply this. One of the requirement I can remember is that you should have at least 1 year left of study period in curtin if u want to apply.

And just a piece of mind, it might be hard for you to adapt the new environment & cope with the final year high workload studies at the same time if u r going at your final year.... So, if u wish to apply and give it a try, it will be better to try it in ur 2nd year =)

What course are you going to take? Don't you think having the studies done directly in a same campus a good idea? Eg. mechatronics engineering students in curtin sarawak campus must have their final or last 2 years(not sure sweat.gif ) studies in perth... Quite troublesome i think. doh.gif

Added on September 26, 2011, 9:54 pm
QUOTE(raymones89 @ Jul 7 2011, 06:52 PM)

I know this is quite late... but ya... 2 weeks holidays is really fast XD
good luck in ur coming final exam ya, 4 weeks from now i think... jiayou thumbup.gif
And siggy, hope to have one too, hehe.

This post has been edited by SPYiNG: Sep 26 2011, 10:00 PM
+Quote Post
leeboh94
post Sep 29 2011, 05:08 PM

hello, is there any where near Curtin that have place to watch football(epl)? like mamak stall or what? maybe i'll be going to curtin next year for foundation.
+Quote Post
hikashi
post Sep 29 2011, 08:16 PM

Feed with candy

QUOTE(leeboh94 @ Sep 29 2011, 05:08 PM)
hello, is there any where near Curtin that have place to watch football(epl)? like mamak stall or what? maybe i'll be going to curtin next year for foundation.
LOL of all the stuff u wanna ask. and yes there is a indonesian/malay food stall (CTR) for ur viewing pleasure...
+Quote Post
SPYiNG
post Oct 4 2011, 10:13 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(hikashi @ Sep 29 2011, 08:16 PM)
LOL of all the stuff u wanna ask. and yes there is a indonesian/malay food stall (CTR) for ur viewing pleasure...
where is CTR? i know there's one near the shophouses beside the Petronas Petrol Station. Saw a big screen that look like those usually used for presentation in school thr, LOL
+Quote Post
jingga
post Nov 26 2011, 10:38 AM

Getting Started

Cahaya Taufik Restaurant (CTR) is the one in Senadin, corner lot, opposite of double storey houses.
+Quote Post
meem
post Nov 26 2011, 08:58 PM

Hai, can someone who studying in Curtin tell me about Applied Geology course there?? How the lecturer, class n etc.. smile.gif
+Quote Post
dvlzplayground
post Nov 26 2011, 11:34 PM

Newbie...like, seriously

^ all the applied geology lecturers are PhD holders. exam-wise a lot of memorizing. also lots of field trips and lab work. very little math involved tongue.gif

the course in miri is without honours, u need to go to perth for that.
+Quote Post
meem
post Nov 27 2011, 12:12 AM

QUOTE(dvlzplayground @ Nov 26 2011, 11:34 PM)
^ all the applied geology lecturers are PhD holders. exam-wise a lot of memorizing. also lots of field trips and lab work. very little math involved tongue.gif

the course in miri is without honours, u need to go to perth for that.
Thanks for the info rclxms.gif .. I just looked at the propectus 2011.. Need to go Curtin Bentley to do Honours.. so surprisingly.. Huh.. sweat.gif I thought only need to do it in Miri.. What if no honours? what the different?
+Quote Post
dvlzplayground
post Nov 27 2011, 08:20 AM

Newbie...like, seriously

Yeap. i dont really know about the geology career but it should be fine without honours, since u dun need to register under professional bodies (engineers need BEM).

so diff is u get a B.Sc but not a B.Sc(Hons) tongue.gif n since u'll be in miri u need to make use of ur time to know people from oil & gas companies here. not easy to find a job as a geologist in other places
+Quote Post
meem
post Nov 27 2011, 03:06 PM

QUOTE(dvlzplayground @ Nov 27 2011, 08:20 AM)
Yeap. i dont really know about the geology career but it should be fine without honours, since u dun need to register under professional bodies (engineers need BEM).

so diff is u get a B.Sc but not a B.Sc(Hons) tongue.gif n since u'll be in miri u need to make use of ur time to know people from oil & gas companies here. not easy to find a job as a geologist in other places
I see.. Thanks again thumbup.gif .. How about the classes? how often the class in one week? Im local so I dont think I want to stay in the hostel there.. biggrin.gif What course u taking at curtin?
+Quote Post
dvlzplayground
post Nov 27 2011, 05:14 PM

Newbie...like, seriously

how often ka... i can only answer 'normal' tongue.gif curtin every semester will change timetable, see your luck la. if u're mirian then no point staying in hostel haha unless u live at taman tunku there la tongue.gif

i just graduated. mech eng. but im close to the geology students (well, those graduated ones lah)
+Quote Post
1love
post Dec 9 2011, 07:38 PM

Small room for rent.

Address: 5744 beside Curtin Village (30 seconds walk to bus stop!)
Condition: Fully furnished with table, aircond, wardrobe, bed
House: Kitchen, living room, streamyx, neat and comfortable
Rent: RM 260 (2+1) exclude water and electricity bills
Housemates chinese.

Please PM me. I am almost 24 hours online.

+Quote Post
joybutterable
post Dec 13 2011, 07:59 AM

what atm machine is available in the campus?
+Quote Post
dvlzplayground
post Dec 13 2011, 07:23 PM

Newbie...like, seriously

QUOTE(joybutterable @ Dec 13 2011, 07:59 AM)
what atm machine is available in the campus?
RHB and Maybank
+Quote Post
joybutterable
post Dec 13 2011, 08:05 PM

QUOTE(dvlzplayground @ Dec 13 2011, 07:23 PM)
RHB and Maybank
thank you so much for the info!
+Quote Post
Hassan Baloch
post Dec 19 2011, 01:46 AM

I'm joining Curtin Sarawak in January 2012... MPM...
Got room in Lakeside Apartment I, Lambir... They said postgraduate students can only live in Lakeside Apartment-I... I Wanted to be in Villa or village though but no option given...

I'm from Pakistan and coming with the hope that life is gonna be tough in Miri being foreigner... And Yeah I already have read life is boring there... tongue.gif
+Quote Post
justarandomboy
post Dec 19 2011, 09:21 AM

On my way

Umm....I have a question. Is MUET recognised by Curtin? I cannot find MUET as a test to fulfill english language requirement on their official website. Can anyone help me?
+Quote Post
meem
post Dec 19 2011, 03:57 PM

QUOTE(justarandomboy @ Dec 19 2011, 09:21 AM)
Umm....I have a question. Is MUET recognised by Curtin? I cannot find MUET as a test to fulfill english language requirement on their official website. Can anyone help me?
This is the answer i received from the officer there via email..
''If you have SPM / 1119 english in grade C6 or better, then it is meeting the English requirement. MUET is not acceptable to Curtin, otherwise CUTE band C or better.''
+Quote Post
joybutterable
post Dec 19 2011, 05:45 PM

I hope Curtin will give me offer letter ASAP! need confirmation.. =(
+Quote Post
justarandomboy
post Dec 19 2011, 06:00 PM

On my way

QUOTE(meem @ Dec 19 2011, 03:57 PM)
This is the answer i received from the officer there via email..
''If you have SPM / 1119 english in grade C6 or better, then it is meeting the English requirement. MUET is not acceptable to Curtin, otherwise CUTE band C or better.''
Thank you very much. biggrin.gif

I have one more question...would E1119 still valid after three years? Let's say I sat for SPM in 2008, studied form 6 for two years and applied to Curtin, it would have been 2011. After three years, would EL1119 still valid? Because TOEFL and IELTS are only valid for two years and I fear by that time EL1119 would be considered 'expired'.

This post has been edited by justarandomboy: Dec 19 2011, 06:00 PM
+Quote Post
raymones89
post Dec 20 2011, 09:01 PM

Getting Started

1 more year till I graduate from Curtin Sarawak whistling.gif whistling.gif whistling.gif
+Quote Post
Hassan Baloch
post Dec 28 2011, 05:39 PM

I'm coming soon Curtin Sarawak... See You on 12th Jan 2012... (MPM)... smile.gif
+Quote Post
ZIQY
post Jan 20 2012, 08:11 PM

I'm not being racist but could you guys tell me the race distribution in Curtin ? Thx.