105 Pages « < 91 92 93 94 95 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

AMD (Malaysia) Official Thread

views

fuzore
post Jan 17 2018, 09:36 AM

<motion sickness around>
2,142 posts

QUOTE(Michaelbyz23 @ Jan 16 2018, 09:15 PM)
How long did you run? What is your cooler and case?
Mine is because I stress everything including gpu, hence they temperature. I think is fine.
Currently on 240mm aio with cooler master masterbox lite 3.1
i didn't ran it long only an hour... its on frostflow+ 120 aio inside a tecware quad...

Attached Image
Michaelbyz23
post Jan 22 2018, 08:05 AM

Sarawak Maju Makmur
4,541 posts

QUOTE(Legendary Big Boss @ Jan 17 2018, 07:48 AM)
90c test is not fine. Although actual real life would be lower than that. Try find the sweet spot for long term usage.
Upgraded my case.. currently this is my temperature after almost 9 hours aida64 both gpu and cpu.

QUOTE(fuzore @ Jan 17 2018, 09:36 AM)
i didn't ran it long only an hour... its on frostflow+ 120 aio inside a tecware quad...

Attached Image
Nice one bro.. I just upgraded my case to fractal design define mini C TG, temperature improved so much.

Attached Image Attached Image
Skylinestar
post Jan 27 2018, 10:06 AM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,090 posts

Any Ryzen laptop released in Malaysia yet?
Mubarak90
post Jan 30 2018, 05:38 PM

Casual
482 posts

QUOTE(Skylinestar @ Jan 27 2018, 10:06 AM)
Any Ryzen laptop released in Malaysia yet?
The Asus ROG one.
KL_menJERIT
post Feb 16 2018, 08:39 PM

Casual
340 posts

Amd Ryzen price descrease

amanz.my/2018158877
adkiller
post Feb 25 2018, 10:56 PM

41 posts

QUOTE(Mubarak90 @ Jan 30 2018, 05:38 PM)
The Asus ROG one.
Where to buy?
Mubarak90
post Feb 27 2018, 10:28 AM

Casual
482 posts

QUOTE(adkiller @ Feb 25 2018, 10:56 PM)
Where to buy?
https://www.asus.com/my/ROG-Republic-Of-Gam...-Strix-GL702ZC/

Not sure where to get it, maybe you can ask around or try going directly to ROG outlet.
Michaelbyz23
post Mar 1 2018, 02:58 PM

Sarawak Maju Makmur
4,541 posts

Waiting for 2700 series to be launched.. Hopefully can overclock to higher clock speeds.
My current 1600 cinebench scores and temperature:

Running at 4ghz, 3200mhz
Attached Image
diehard1979
post Mar 14 2018, 11:18 AM

Regular
1,154 posts

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-flaws...mera,36656.html
Acid_RuleZz
post Mar 14 2018, 12:08 PM

ミウ ❤
6,610 posts

QUOTE(diehard1979 @ Mar 14 2018, 11:18 AM)
https://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/3260-a...search-cts-labs
yhsiau
post Mar 14 2018, 01:13 PM

Enthusiast
790 posts

QUOTE(Acid_RuleZz @ Mar 14 2018, 12:08 PM)
Hmm... An attempt to ruin the incoming product launching?
If the hacker got the admin rights in the system. Nothing can stop the hacker.. Regardless of OS and Hardware.

This so called AMD flaws news spread like fire now.
goldfries
post Mar 14 2018, 02:29 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(yhsiau @ Mar 14 2018, 01:13 PM)
Hmm... An attempt to ruin the incoming product launching?

yhsiau
post Mar 14 2018, 04:08 PM

Enthusiast
790 posts

QUOTE(goldfries @ Mar 14 2018, 02:29 PM)

Obvious unprofessional hired gunner la... XD I wonder who is the mastermind or the one who will gain from this fiasco?
Songchien
post Mar 14 2018, 05:32 PM

Casual
339 posts

QUOTE(yhsiau @ Mar 14 2018, 04:08 PM)
Obvious unprofessional hired gunner la... XD I wonder who is the mastermind or the one who will gain from this fiasco?
Intel will benefit I suppose. Lol
yhsiau
post Mar 14 2018, 05:48 PM

Enthusiast
790 posts

QUOTE(Songchien @ Mar 14 2018, 05:32 PM)
Intel will benefit I suppose. Lol
Intel is busy fixing their products meltdown & spectre messes..
It gained nothing from AMD flaws, except laughing at AMD.

someone might gain from sell short of AMD's shares by making bad products news. Let study their share prices in the next few days.. will find out.
+Newbie+
post Mar 20 2018, 01:11 AM

To be needed as The Sand's Kazekage
Group Icon
VIP
3,055 posts

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12536/our-in...l-with-cts-labs

1) The use of a PR firm which is non-standard practice for this (and the PR firm were not involved in any way in our call, which is also odd),
2) Viceroy Research, a company known for shorting stock, and their 25-page blowout report published only three hours after the initial announcement,
3) And the 2018 SEC listing of the CFO as the President of NineWells Capital, a hedge fund based in New York, that has interests in equity, corporate debt investments, and emphasis on special situations.

Commentary and Clarification
All processors and chips have flaws – some are critical, others are simple, some can be fixed through hardware and software. There are security issues and errata in some processors that are several years old.

CTS-Labs’ reasoning for believing that AMD cannot patch within a reasonable period, coming from ‘industry experts’, seems off – almost as if they believe that when they enter a responsible disclosure time-frame, they cannot reveal the vulnerabilities until they are fixed. The response to the question about Meltdown and Spectre, if they would have the same attitude to the fact that the industry had several months before publication for a coordinated effort, means that despite offering a semi*-unilateral reasoning for 0-day disclosure, they would not apply it unilaterally but on a case-by-case basis. The language used is clearly not indicative of their actual feeling and policy.

Blaming the lack of CVE numbers on them being ‘new’ to it, yet citing repeatedly many years of security experience and in cyber-security is also in opposition. It may be their first public disclosure, even as individuals, but I find it hard to believe they were not prepared on the CVE front. Using our own experts, it can take hours for a well-known company to be issued a CVE number, or weeks for an unknown entity. Had CTS-Labs approached a big security firm, or AMD, then these could have been issued relatively easily. CTS-Labs stated that they are waiting for CVE numbers to be issued to going to be an interesting outcome, especially if they appear and/or the time of submission is provided.

It seems a bit odd for a company looking into ASMedia related flaws to then turn their focus onto AMD’s secure processor, using the chipset vulnerabilities as a pivot point. ASMedia chips, especially the USB host controllers cited by CTS-Labs, are used on literally tens of millions of Intel-based motherboards around the world, from all the major OEMs. For a large period of time, it was hard to find a system without one. The decision to pivot on newer AMD platforms is a weak argument, the wishy-washy language when discussing projects at the start of the company’s existence, and the abrupt ending to the call when asked to discuss the original customer could be construed (this is conjecture here) that the funding for the product was purposefully directional towards AMD.

The discussion about the understanding of how vulnerabilities can be mitigated certainly piqued David’s interest. The number of things that can be done through microcode, or that are undocumented to third-party chip analysts, means that it came across as highly strange that CTS-Labs were fervent in their believe that AMD could not patch the issue in reasonable time to warrant a longer reasonable disclosure period (one of many arguments used). As seen in recent vulnerabilities and responsible disclosures, chip designers have implemented a number of significant methods to enable/disable/adjust features that were not known to be able to be adjusted, such as resetting a branch predictor. All it takes is for the chip company to say ‘we can do this’ and for it to be implanted, so the use of high-impact language was certainly noted. The confusion between microcode and FPGA in the discussion also raised an eyebrow or three.

When approaching the subject of virtualized environments, the short sharp acceptance that these vulnerabilities were less of an issue in VMs and with cloud providers was quickly overshadowed by the doom and gloom message for if a system was already compromised, even when it was stated that analyst expect 10% market share for EPYC by 2020. It was clear that the definitions of enterprise deployments seemed to differ between AnandTech and CTS-Labs, again partnered with amounts of doom and gloom.

Lastly, the legal argument of not being able to share the details outside of Israel, or only to registered security companies outside of Israel, was an interesting one we were not expecting. This being coupled with the lack of knowledge on the effect of an open disclosure led us to reach out to our legal contacts that are familiar with the situation. This led to the line:

“It’s BS, no restrictions.”

Some of our contacts, and readers with security backgrounds, have privately confirmed that most of this is quite fishy. The combination of the methodology and presentation with a new company that both claims to have experience but can’t do CVE numbers is waving red flags.

Opinion
Going back to the two original questions, here is where I personally stand on the issue:

One What are the vulnerabilities, how bad are they, and what can be done?

One, if the vulnerabilities exist: It is very likely that these vulnerabilities are real. A secondary attack vector that could install monitoring software might be part of a multi-layer attack, but offering a place for indiscriminant monitoring of compromised systems can be seen as an important hole to fix. At this point, the nearest trusted source we have that these vulnerabilities are real is from Alex Ionescu, a Windows Internals Expert who works for CrowdStrike, one of the companies that CTS-Labs says has the full disclosure documents. That is still a stage a bit far from us to warrant a full confirmation. Given that Trail of Bits required 4-5 days to examine CTS-Labs work, I suspect it will take AMD a similar amount of time to do so. If that is the case, AMD might have additional statements either on Friday or Monday, either confirming or rebutting the issues, and discussing future action.

Two Who are CTS-Labs, how come their approach to reasonable responsible disclosure differs to other security firms, how come a number of elements about the disclosure are atypical of a security firm, what is their financial model, and who are their clients?

Two, the status of CTS-Labs: I’m more than willing to entertain the fact that as a first public high-level disclosure, a security company can be out of step with a few of the usual expected methods of responsible disclosure and presentation. A number of new security companies that want to make a name for themselves have to be bold and brash to get new customers, however we have never quite seen it to this extent – normally the work speaks for itself, of the security company will develop a relationship with the company with the vulnerability and earn its kudos that way. The fact that CTS-Labs went with a polished website (with nine links to download the whitepaper, compared to the Meltdown/Spectre websites that had one), and a PR firm is definitely a different take. The semi*-unilateral reasoning for a 0-day/1-day disclosure, followed by a self-rebuttal when presented with a more significant issue, shows elements of inconsistency in their immediate judgement. The lack of CVEs ready to go, despite the employees having many years of experience, as well as experience in the Israeli equivalent of the NSA in Unit 8200, does seem as opposites; an experienced security team would be ready. The swift acceptance that cloud-based systems are not vulnerable but then going straight into doom and gloom, despite the limited attack surface in that market, shows that they are focusing on the doom and gloom. The reluctance for CTS-Labs to talk about clients and funding, or previous projects, was perhaps to be expected.

The initial downside of this story coming into the news was the foreboding question of ‘is this how we are going to do security now?’. Despite the actions of CTS and their decision to go with a 24-hour period, after speaking to long-term industry experts at high profile technology companies, a standard 90-180 day pre-disclosure period is still the primary standard that manufacturers would expect security companies to adhere with to actively engage with responsible information and verification. We were told that to go beyond/behind this structure ultimately formulates a level of distrust between the company, the security agency, and potentially the clients, regardless of the capabilities of the security researchers or the severity of the issues found; moreso if the issues are blown out of proportion in relation to their nature and attack surface.

This post has been edited by +Newbie+: Mar 20 2018, 01:13 AM
sai86
post Mar 20 2018, 05:17 PM

StilL LearninG
4,928 posts

spread like fire......but looks like nothing major. the anandtech has a really good interview breakdown.

even the Trailofbits brush off the so call "seriousness" claimed by CTS labs
+Newbie+
post Mar 21 2018, 11:41 PM

To be needed as The Sand's Kazekage
Group Icon
VIP
3,055 posts

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12556/amd-co...atched-in-weeks

If you have been following our coverage regarding the recent security issues found in AMD’s processors and chipsets by security research firm CTS-Labs, it has been a bit of a doozy. Today AMD is posting on their website, in the form of a blog post, the results from their initial analysis, despite CTS-Labs only giving them 1-day notice, rather than the industry standard 60/90-days, as they felt that these were too important and expected AMD to fix them in a much longer timescale. Despite this attitude, AMD’s blog post dictates that all the issues found can be patched and mitigated in the next few weeks without any performance degradation.

The salient high-level takeaway from AMD is this:

1. All the issues can be confirmed on related AMD hardware, but require Admin Access at the metal
2. All the issues are set to be fixed within weeks, not months, through firmware patches and BIOS updates
3. No performance impact expected
4. None of these issues are Zen-specific, but relate to the PSP and ASMedia chipsets.
5. These are not related to the GPZ exploits earlier this year

Looks like it really was a hit job. But by who? Hedge funds or Intel?

This post has been edited by +Newbie+: Mar 21 2018, 11:46 PM
Oyaji
post Mar 25 2018, 08:52 AM

On my way
509 posts

Hi guys, want to ask. Will a rx550/560 bottleneck an A10 7700K?

Also which chipset should I get. a cheaper A68H or A88? I am currently running on an A10 7700K with a dying MSI A88 motherboard donated to me after I sold my ivy bridge i7. I cant afford ryzen at the moment so probably have to make do by buying a new motherboard. I'm using it mainly for youtube viewing and surfing but hopefully can gaming with my old games (far cry 2, left for dead 2 etc). Thanks in advance.
goldfries
post Mar 25 2018, 08:59 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(Oyaji @ Mar 25 2018, 08:52 AM)
Hi guys, want to ask. Will a rx550/560 bottleneck an A10 7700K?
As in? I don't think they'll affect one another.

RX 550 is not a strong card. smile.gif

105 Pages « < 91 92 93 94 95 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0185sec    0.37    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:59 AM