Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Using CIMB ATM Card Overseas, Activated...but which ATMs can use?

views

TSAmaru
post Dec 24 2007, 11:55 AM, updated 17y ago

Enthusiast
941 posts

Anybody here use CIMB ATM card? Recently I noticed that CIMB's ATMs have a notice on top of them, which basically states that now you can use the card overseas. But you have to first call their call center to activate the "overseas" flag.

So I just got off the phone with one of their operators, and now have my card activated. I also asked the operator which ATMs overseas I can actually use. She said something about looking for a TIERS (or SEARS) logo? Does anybody know what that is?

Thanks.

P.S. If you want to activate the card, this is the following information you'll need to provide
- Full name as in IC
- ATM card number
- IC Number
- Passport Number
- Until when you want the overseas flag to be enabled

This post has been edited by Amaru: Dec 24 2007, 12:01 PM
b00n
post Dec 24 2007, 12:30 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

I'm betting it's CIRRUS network.
Try look at your ATM card and see what network is specified there.
MEPS is our M'sian network thus letting you the chance to perform transactions interbank ATM.
CIRRUS however is international. Check to see whether or not CIMB subscribes to it. But remember, the charges are not cheap; forgot whether it goes by transaction or goes by transaction amounts. Better check carefully.
TSAmaru
post Dec 24 2007, 12:52 PM

Enthusiast
941 posts

Yes, I think CIRRUS is what she said!

But my CIMB ATM card only has BANKCARD and MEPS-CASH on the back. Anyway, I'll be going on holiday overseas soon, will let you know how it turns out when I try it.
ahsin
post Dec 24 2007, 01:10 PM

Freak9u
1,144 posts

i think got extra charge for it
WaCKy-Angel
post Dec 24 2007, 01:13 PM

PeACe~~
All Stars
21,483 posts

Seriously, i advise u not to do that..
Just take out cash and go money exchange b4 u leave...

I think u cant bring above RM5000 worth or something like that out of country but just declare it then u can...
No charges.
NaMyzarC
post Dec 24 2007, 03:33 PM

Regular
1,140 posts

i managed to withdrawed from the atm machine with the cirrus logo at bangkok a couples year back if i'm not mistaken but using maybank, i assume is the same for cimb

This post has been edited by NaMyzarC: Dec 24 2007, 03:43 PM
WaCKy-Angel
post Dec 24 2007, 04:21 PM

PeACe~~
All Stars
21,483 posts

QUOTE(NaMyzarC @ Dec 24 2007, 03:33 PM)
i managed to withdrawed from the atm machine with the cirrus logo at bangkok a couples year back if i'm not mistaken but using maybank, i assume is the same for cimb
Thailand got MEPS if im not mistaken..
Probably yours is done using MEPS.

What bank u have?
vin_ann
post Dec 24 2007, 11:24 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,912 posts

hmmm CIMB experience i dun have...

but i got the HSBC experience....

anywhere also can... UK o Europe.
SUSDavid83
post Dec 26 2007, 06:17 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
52,874 posts

My CIMB ATM card is a total red colour and the back of the card has two logos - Maestro and Cirrus.

I think you could withdraw cash from machines that has either one of these logos.
achcmy
post Dec 26 2007, 10:07 AM

Getting Started
205 posts

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Dec 24 2007, 01:13 PM)

I think u cant bring above RM5000 worth or something like that out of country but just declare it then u can...
No charges.
Wacky-Angel,

Why advise against doing that? Did you have problem using that before? Can you share with us about your difficulties?

As for my experience, I always withdraw from overseas countries. The interbank rates including the withdrawing charges are much cheaper than money exchange. I have tried in Bangkok, London, Manila, SG and HK. That's why i'm very curious to know why wacky-angel advice against that.

AC
b00n
post Dec 26 2007, 12:13 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

QUOTE(achcmy @ Dec 26 2007, 10:07 AM)
Wacky-Angel,

Why advise against doing that? Did you have problem using that before? Can you share with us about your difficulties?

As for my experience, I always withdraw from overseas countries. The interbank rates including the withdrawing charges are much cheaper than money exchange. I have tried in Bangkok, London, Manila, SG and HK. That's why i'm very curious to know why wacky-angel advice against that.

AC

For international banks like HSBC and Citibank whereby one can always withdraw from their originating country via ATM networks in other countries are usually not subjected to transaction charges besides the forex exchange difference. Yes, do agree that sometimes forex rates are better. Only problem is we do not know during withdrawal.
But when one withdraws via Maestro or Cirrus, IIRC the charges are not cheap. It's definitely not the usual RM1 like MEPS charges in M'sia.

achcmy
post Dec 27 2007, 09:39 AM

Getting Started
205 posts

QUOTE(b00n @ Dec 26 2007, 12:13 PM)
For international banks like HSBC and Citibank whereby one can always withdraw from their originating country via ATM networks in other countries are usually not subjected to transaction charges besides the forex exchange difference. Yes, do agree that sometimes forex rates are better. Only problem is we do not know during withdrawal.
But when one withdraws via Maestro or Cirrus, IIRC the charges are not cheap. It's definitely not the usual RM1 like MEPS charges in M'sia.
Boon,

In fact you can check the conversion rate. Just get the balance enquiry for the ATM machine and divide that with the amount in RM. Of coz, to do that, you need to know how much exactly u have in your bank account first. Then you can do the withdrawal after getting the conversion. Sometimes different ATM has got different rates. So check it out first.

AC
fazna08
post Jan 1 2009, 01:52 AM

8 posts

Hi
If I'm not mistaken, CIMB only charge RM10/transaction.
What is da number of CIMB Customer Service? Is it 1 300 880 900? I want to call from overseas. Do they have any other no.?
Currently I'm in UK. Will go back to Msia probably in 2010. I want to activate it!!! icon_question.gif
tqvm
Chester
post Jan 1 2009, 09:32 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,380 posts

Actually you can change the overseas flag from the ATM itself already, new service smile.gif

Overseas trxn is either via Mastercard Cirrus/ Mastercard Maestro/ Visa Plus/ Visa Interlink. All is charged RM10/trxn.

Impossible you can find MEPS outside Malaysia. MEPS is local.
mopster
post Jan 1 2009, 02:28 PM

m o p p y
7,960 posts

yeah most banks charge RM 10 or 12 per transaction..
Furthermore I think you are still bound to the transaction limit of the bank. Lets say if you withdraw in Europe, you are only allowed to withdraw RM1000 worth of EUR/GBP and the bank charges RM10 per transaction. Thats like a 1% charges.
Therefore, I think it is more worth it if you have a bank with higher limit per transaction. If i'm not mistaken, some banks in M'sia allow RM1500 per transaction instead of just RM1000.

Al-Rajhi Bank charges RM4 only... but not sure if anyone tried using AL-Rajhi ATM Card oversea... tongue.gif

Oh and yeah, ATM's in different countries take different number of pins. Some 6, some 5 and some 4 digits. Please call your bank to find out what you should do if the ATM takes only 4/5 digits. Take note the exchange rates can be slightly different too.

This is what I understand from the MBB Customer Service. I hope I got it right.
Anymore tips to share? Please do and tyvm notworthy.gif
SUSOptiplex330
post Jan 1 2009, 04:02 PM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Dec 24 2007, 01:13 PM)

No charges.
I have to totally disagree with you here.

To bring cash for overseas travel (eg. 10,000 USD), there are a few options:

1. Get USD notes from our local money changer. Don't know how much profit they made but would you want to carry all those USD10,000 in your pocket? You have to worry about thief etc.

2. Buy traveler check. You have to pay for charges also. And you can only use it at limited places like hotel/bank/money exchange etc. Any unused money has to bring back to your local bank to convert back to RM.

3. ATM card. There are ATM machines all over the place, even in supermarket. You plug in your card and you get USD anytime, anywhere and at any amount. Simple. Efficient. Safe. The charge ranges from RM5 to RM12 per transaction. So if you withdraw RM3000, it work out to be 0.04%. But ATM exchange rate is often cheaper than money changer and from traveler check.

On charges. If you use HSBC ATM card and use it in HSBC ATM machine overseas (they are the world's 2nd biggest bank), the transaction charges is nil for Premier customer and RM5 for others.

But please note, not ATM card can be used overseas. Only ATM card with the logo Cirrus (belong to MasterCard organization) or PLUS (belong to VISA organization) can be used. And if you have never used your ATM card in Malaysia before, you MUST activated it first before going overseas. This is because you can not activate it overseas.

Therefore I highly recommend people traveling oversea to use ATM card. You can use it anywhere in the world as long as there are ATM machine. And if you want to go to Peru, tell me, do you know of any local money changer having Peruvian currency note?
Chester
post Jan 1 2009, 04:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,380 posts

Actually, whether its RM1 or RM10, the charge came from the switch ie MEPS or Cirrus/Maestro, not the bank.
SUSOptiplex330
post Jan 1 2009, 04:06 PM

10k Club
12,696 posts

While overseas, you can use your Credit Card and ATM card to withdraw cash. Try not to use CC because there is a blanket cash advance fee of 1% whereas there are none for ATM card.

Added on January 1, 2009, 4:10 pm
QUOTE(Chester @ Jan 1 2009, 04:04 PM)
Actually, whether its RM1 or RM10, the charge came from the switch ie MEPS or Cirrus/Maestro, not the bank.
I do no think so. Here are my reasoning.

1. If they are all from CIRRUS/PLUS etc, the charges should be the same. But AFAIK, different bank charge different amount. Some zero. Some RM5. Some RM10 and others RM12.

2. CIRRUS/PLUS makes their money from the foreign exchange conversion. If you withdraw Japanese Yen, C/P will convert Yen to USD and from USD to RM. They make their money there.

This post has been edited by Optiplex330: Jan 1 2009, 04:10 PM
Chester
post Jan 2 2009, 12:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,380 posts

QUOTE(Optiplex330 @ Jan 1 2009, 04:06 PM)
While overseas, you can use your Credit Card and ATM card to withdraw cash. Try not to use CC because there is a blanket cash advance fee of 1% whereas there are none for ATM card.

Added on January 1, 2009, 4:10 pm

I do no think so. Here are my reasoning.

1. If they are all from CIRRUS/PLUS etc, the charges should be the same. But AFAIK, different bank charge different amount. Some zero. Some RM5. Some RM10 and others RM12.

2. CIRRUS/PLUS makes their money from the foreign exchange conversion. If you withdraw Japanese Yen, C/P will convert Yen to USD and from USD to RM. They make their money there.
I have to reconfirm on the charges. Thanks for your clarification. Now im in doubt laugh.gif
T_flash
post Feb 10 2009, 10:24 PM

Getting Started
274 posts

Can someone confirm CIMB's fee for oversea ATM????

The local limit per transaction is 1500rm, daily at the moment can be set in between 1k to 5k. How does it work?? if oversea ATM supports up to 5k rm worth of watever currency in whichever country, would it still be 1500rm per transaction and until daily limit is used up???
MilesAndMore
post Feb 11 2009, 12:55 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

Actually HSBC and Citibank do have handling charge when withdrawing money from your home account via any of their own overseas ATMs. The charge for HSBC is RM5. As for Premier customer the handling charge for cash withdrawals at HSBC group ATM is waived. Same for Citibank if you are a Citigold customer, there is zero handling charge when you withdraw money at any Citi Group ATM worldwide.

All local foreign banks charge RM10 - RM12, be it at Mastercard, Maestro, Cirrus, Plus or Visa network.

QUOTE(Optiplex330 @ Jan 1 2009, 04:02 PM)
But please note, not ATM card can be used overseas. Only ATM card with the logo Cirrus (belong to MasterCard organization) or PLUS (belong to VISA organization) can be used. And if you have never used your ATM card in Malaysia before, you MUST activated it first before going overseas. This is because you can not activate it overseas.
Believe you don't have to activate the HSBC ATM card prior for overseas use. My dad's been using his HSBC ATM to withdraw cash numerous times at HSBC Jakarta, HSBC Singapore, HSBC Manila, HSBC Bangkok, HSBC Hong Kong, HSBC Chengdu, HSBC Guangzhou and HSBC Beijing and he didn't have to inform the bank nor did he have to activate the card for overseas use.

QUOTE(Optiplex330 @ Jan 1 2009, 04:06 PM)
The lowest charge to withdraw money from Cirrus/Maestro/Plus/Visa/Mastercard network, be it local or overseas is RM10 and RM12 the most.

QUOTE(T_flash @ Feb 10 2009, 10:24 PM)

RM10

fazna08
post Feb 11 2009, 02:04 AM

8 posts

QUOTE(T_flash @ Feb 10 2009, 10:24 PM)

The local limit per transaction is 1500rm, daily at the moment can be set in between 1k to 5k. How does it work?? if oversea ATM supports up to 5k rm worth of watever currency in whichever country, would it still be 1500rm per transaction and until daily limit is used up???
Hi T_flash
the charge is RM10 per transaction.
You can withdraw depends on your limit. Mine, I can withdraw up to RM3000. You can change (increase/decrease) at the CIMB atm machine.

It's also depends on the oversea ATM.
for eg. RM3000 = GBP555.
unfortunately, the ATM machine in UK (eg. Barclays) can only give a cash up to GBP250.
So, I have to make 2x transaction to withdraw GBP500. It's cost me RM20 for 2 transactions.

TQVM
AurorA|CS
post May 3 2009, 10:17 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

Hi, has anyone tried using Maybank Visa Debit in UK?

Going to UK for a few months soon. Will save myself a lot of hassle if it is usable overthere.

So the withdrawal fee will be the daily exchange rate + RM12 only?
No other hidden charges in between the transaction?
he-sham
post May 4 2009, 11:38 AM

1-2-3-4
1,248 posts

i try to withdraw using my red CIMB atm bankcard in jakarta & bandung CIMB Niaga (Indonesia)...but cannot... i just dont know why because i already activate and inform them i want to go oversea... besides, it's their subsidiary company atm machine....

http://www.cimbniaga.com/

but i managed to withdraw from citibank atm machine in bandung by my citibank visa debit with no charge at all !! they straight forward show the amount that will be deducted in RM....

This post has been edited by he-sham: May 4 2009, 11:42 AM
jack2
post May 4 2009, 11:58 AM

Mr
All Stars
14,321 posts

Tried CIMB ATM card in Argentina, the amount withdrawn was shown in RM after convertion.

Can't see the withdrawal fee charged.
razkal
post Jun 2 2010, 04:26 PM

Casual
397 posts

Hello everyone, I would like to ask which ATM in UK can be use to withdraw money using CIMB card. I have already activated my card, and have tried on the Natwest ATM but couldn't withdraw any. Tried to contact customer service in M'sia and they said there is no problem with my card. icon_question.gif
MilesAndMore
post Jun 2 2010, 04:51 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(razkal @ Jun 2 2010, 04:26 PM)
Hello everyone, I would like to ask which ATM in UK can be use to withdraw money using CIMB card. I have already activated my card, and have tried on the Natwest ATM but couldn't withdraw any. Tried to contact customer service in M'sia and they said there is no problem with my card.  icon_question.gif
There should be no problem for you to withdraw money at any UK banks with your CIMB Bank ATM card which is on CIRRUS/Maestro network. Did you choose the right account ? And did you activate the card for overseas use ?

razkal
post Jun 2 2010, 05:15 PM

Casual
397 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Jun 2 2010, 09:51 AM)
There should be no problem for you to withdraw money at any UK banks with your CIMB Bank ATM card which is on CIRRUS/Maestro network. Did you choose the right account ? And did you activate the card for overseas use ?
The problem is my atm card doesn't have any kind of Cirrus or Maestro marking on it. Just the normal bankcard logo. Probably it's an old card. I checked back that i had it activated before i came here so it should be ok. Maybe the atm doesn't have any cirrus logo have to check again later. I don't know. Haih..
MilesAndMore
post Jun 2 2010, 05:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(razkal @ Jun 2 2010, 05:15 PM)
The problem is my atm card doesn't have any kind of Cirrus or Maestro marking on it. Just the normal bankcard logo. Probably it's an old card. I checked back that i had it activated before i came here so it should be ok. Maybe the atm doesn't have any cirrus logo have to check again later. I don't know. Haih..
The missing of the Cirrus and Maestro logo is most likely to be the reason why you failed to withdraw your money using the card. As far as i am concerned, all new CIMB Bank/CIMB Islamic have the Bankard/Cirrus/Maestro logo on the back of the ATM card.

sohakyee
post Sep 2 2011, 03:38 PM

Casual
354 posts

some thought in my minds for CIMB atm card
1. even though there is Cirrus logo in the atm card, why we still hv to activate it to use it overseas? isn't it is an international network already?
2. i recall there is no charges when withdrawing from CIMB ATM machine overseas when using the CIMB card? isn't it?
belthaz
post Feb 13 2012, 09:50 PM

Getting Started
102 posts

Can anybody tell me how long will it takes for cimb to activate overseas usage ... is it activated right away or got time period for it to be activated?
rayng18
post Feb 14 2012, 07:02 AM

Regular
1,481 posts

QUOTE(belthaz @ Feb 13 2012, 09:50 PM)
Can anybody tell me how long will it takes for cimb to activate overseas usage ... is it activated right away or got time period for it to be activated?
Activated immediately. I have w/d from ATM in Indonesia at CIMB Niaga Indonesia last month, no problem and its free coz using same bank.

I used Stanchart ATM card to withdraw through Cirrus, done it in UK and Australia, no problem. Cirrus charge RM12 per transaction
SUSbudakdegilz
post Feb 22 2012, 12:27 PM

Regular
1,138 posts

QUOTE(rayng18 @ Feb 14 2012, 07:02 AM)
Activated immediately. I have w/d from ATM in Indonesia at CIMB Niaga Indonesia last month, no problem and its free coz using same bank.

I used Stanchart ATM card to withdraw through Cirrus, done it in UK and Australia, no problem. Cirrus charge RM12 per transaction
how to activate it??
saw in their website it can be done via cimbclick
http://www.cimbclicks.com.my/regional.htm

but i can't found it anywhere in my cimbclick?? sad.gif
rayng18
post Feb 22 2012, 12:29 PM

Regular
1,481 posts

QUOTE(budakdegilz @ Feb 22 2012, 12:27 PM)
how to activate it??

call cs
ljchiun
post Feb 22 2012, 02:01 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(budakdegilz @ Feb 22 2012, 12:27 PM)
how to activate it??

Home / ATM/POS Services / Overseas Usage Maintenance
SUSbudakdegilz
post Feb 22 2012, 06:41 PM

Regular
1,138 posts

QUOTE(ljchiun @ Feb 22 2012, 02:01 PM)
Home / ATM/POS Services / Overseas Usage Maintenance
TQ notworthy.gif
adri4n
post Mar 3 2012, 12:05 AM

Running in Circles... Going No Where
1,846 posts

can i withdraw money using my citibank credit card with any atm bearing VISA/MASTER ?
what would be the charges inccured ?

This post has been edited by adri4n: Mar 3 2012, 12:06 AM
geforce88
post Apr 5 2012, 11:48 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,835 posts

is it possible to withdraw cash from ATM in overseas? (eg. China, Cambodia, Thailand)

i have CIMB and Maybank ATM card, what should i do? need to activate?

someone please share related knowledge, thanks!
FinalanzJoel
post Dec 24 2012, 01:07 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(Optiplex330 @ Jan 1 2009, 04:02 PM)
I have to totally disagree with you here.

To bring cash for overseas travel (eg. 10,000 USD), there are a few options:

1. Get USD notes from our local money changer. Don't know how much profit they made but would you want to carry all those USD10,000 in your pocket? You have to worry about thief etc.

2. Buy traveler check. You have to pay for charges also. And you can only use it at limited places like hotel/bank/money exchange etc. Any unused money has to bring back to your local bank to convert back to RM.

3. ATM card. There are ATM machines all over the place, even in supermarket. You plug in your card and you get USD anytime, anywhere and at any amount. Simple. Efficient. Safe. The charge ranges from RM5 to RM12 per transaction. So if you withdraw RM3000, it work out to be 0.04%. But ATM exchange rate is often cheaper than money changer and from traveler check.

On charges. If you use HSBC ATM card and use it in HSBC ATM machine overseas (they are the world's 2nd biggest bank), the transaction charges is nil for Premier customer and RM5 for others.

Therefore I highly recommend people traveling oversea to use ATM card. You can use it anywhere in the world as long as there are ATM machine. And if you want to go to Peru, tell me, do you know of any local money changer having Peruvian currency note?
Hai.. i wanna ask about Public Bank Day2Day Visa Debit Card. is there anyone know PBB D2D VISA DC can swipe or withdrawal in Taiwan? because im planning not to bring a lot of cash with me next year to Taiwan. so i plan if my cash not enough in few days in Taiwan. i want withdrawal in Taiwan ATM. But im afraid canot use the card. THANK YOU.
SUSOptiplex330
post Dec 24 2012, 07:09 AM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(FinalanzJoel @ Dec 24 2012, 01:07 AM)
Hai.. i wanna ask about Public Bank Day2Day Visa Debit Card. is there anyone know PBB D2D VISA DC can swipe or withdrawal in Taiwan? because im planning not to bring a lot of cash with me next year to Taiwan. so i plan if my cash not enough in few days in Taiwan. i want withdrawal in Taiwan ATM. But im afraid canot use the card.  THANK YOU.
Already told you. Cut & paste:

Only ATM card with the logo Cirrus (belong to MasterCard organization) or PLUS (belong to VISA organization) can be used. And if you have never used your ATM card in Malaysia before, you MUST activated it first before going overseas. This is because you can not activate it overseas.
calebc
post Sep 25 2013, 05:51 PM

Getting Started
78 posts

Can some of you guys stop all the misinformation? A lot of banks with presence across regions now offer oversea ATM withdrawal with your local ATM card with NO CHARGES, regardless whether it's on a CIRRUS / PLUS network or not as long as you are going to an ATM machine owned by the same banking group.

I've tried performing withdrawals with HSBC Hongkong and OCBC in SG with my Malaysian ATM cards and I'm not getting charged for withdrawals. So far, the exchange rate is always better than money changers at any time!
calebc
post Sep 25 2013, 05:55 PM

Getting Started
78 posts

Recently, CIMB and Maybank has joined in in offering such services. Please check with your banks for more accurate info.

I've had enough with people who's trying to speak like a subject expert but having 0 personal experience in the subject they are talking about.
MilesAndMore
post Sep 26 2013, 10:01 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(calebc @ Sep 25 2013, 05:51 PM)
Can some of you guys stop all the misinformation? A lot of banks with presence across regions now offer oversea ATM withdrawal with your local ATM card with NO CHARGES, regardless whether it's on a CIRRUS / PLUS network or not as long as you are going to an ATM machine owned by the same banking group.
How about checking the dates of all the replies before posting next time ? And also how about reading other people's replies clearly ?

QUOTE(calebc @ Sep 25 2013, 05:51 PM)
I've tried performing withdrawals with HSBC Hongkong and OCBC in SG with my Malaysian ATM cards and I'm not getting charged for withdrawals. So far, the exchange rate is always better than money changers at any time!
I'm not so sure about this. I've performed ATM cash withdrawals at HSBC HK, HSBC China and HSBC SG using HSBC MY ATM card and the exchange rate was no better than what i could have gotten from a money changer. I have also withdrawn money from Maybank SG (Plaza Singapura) using my Maybank VISA debit card and again, the exchange rate was higher than the SG banknotes i bought from money changer.

QUOTE(calebc @ Sep 25 2013, 05:55 PM)
Recently, CIMB and Maybank has joined in in offering such services. Please check with your banks for more accurate info.
Define recent. It's not all that recent to be honest. Of all Malaysian banks, CIMB was the first to do this. And Maybank also started doing this like 2 years or so ago.
fruitie
post Oct 2 2013, 12:16 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

I'm sorry to interrupt but I need some advice regarding this matter. At this moment, I have Maybank, CIMB and Public Bank. Maybank is my active bank account while the other two only have transactions once a while.

I just got to know that I will be posted to China for a short term assignment and I will be there for 2-3 months. I can't be bringing a lot of cash there as I will be there for long term (longer than going vacation).

May I know how can I withdraw money from their ATM? I don't mind opening other bank account in Malaysia so long I can do the withdrawal transaction conveniently but not with a high service charge. sweat.gif While I'm there, I'm entitled for daily allowance and my salary in Malaysia are still running, so I need to withdraw money for my expenses over there as I'm not paid a single cent by China and my expenses are fully paid by Malaysia. laugh.gif

Company has supplied me with credit card, accommodations and transportations are covered at least. laugh.gif

I'll be in Beijing most of the time but maybe spend few days in Shanghai.

Anybody? MilesAndMore can help?

Thank you! notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 2 2013, 12:17 AM
MilesAndMore
post Oct 2 2013, 12:36 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 2 2013, 12:16 AM)
I'm sorry to interrupt but I need some advice regarding this matter. At this moment, I have Maybank, CIMB and Public Bank. Maybank is my active bank account while the other two only have transactions once a while.

I just got to know that I will be posted to China for a short term assignment and I will be there for 2-3 months. I can't be bringing a lot of cash there as I will be there for long term (longer than going vacation).

May I know how can I withdraw money from their ATM? I don't mind opening other bank account in Malaysia so long I can do the withdrawal transaction conveniently but not with a high service charge. sweat.gif While I'm there, I'm entitled for daily allowance and my salary in Malaysia are still running, so I need to withdraw money for my expenses over there as I'm not paid a single cent by China and my expenses are fully paid by Malaysia. laugh.gif

Company has supplied me with credit card, accommodations and transportations are covered at least. laugh.gif

I'll be in Beijing most of the time but maybe spend few days in Shanghai.

Anybody? MilesAndMore can help?

Thank you! notworthy.gif
How about opening a HSBC account here in Malaysia ? I normally use my HSBC ATM card for emergency cash withdrawal overseas. For normal account and also HSBC Advance Account (RM20k to open and maintain HSBC Advance), you will be charged RM5/withdrawal at HSBC and also Hang Seng Bank overseas. For HSBC Premier, it is free.

Another choice of course would be Citibank. And Citibank doesn't charge you withdrawal fee at their overseas Citibank ATM even for a normal banking account. However, in terms of branch presence in China, HSBC Group is the clear winner here.

MilesAndMore
post Oct 2 2013, 12:40 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

Oh yeah, would you be able to open a Bank of China account in China ? Last time i heard it is possible to wire money to an individual account from Bank of China Malaysia branch to Bank of China Mainland China. May be you can save a bit on transaction fees but you might need to trouble your friend or family to wire the money over to you. The simplest way would be to just open a HSBC or Citibank account in Malaysia.
fruitie
post Oct 2 2013, 12:47 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 2 2013, 12:36 AM)
How about opening a HSBC account here in Malaysia ? I normally use my HSBC ATM card for emergency cash withdrawal overseas. For normal account and also HSBC Advance Account (RM20k to open and maintain HSBC Advance), you will be charged RM5/withdrawal at HSBC and also Hang Seng Bank overseas. For HSBC Premier, it is free.

Another choice of course would be Citibank. And Citibank doesn't charge you withdrawal fee at their overseas Citibank ATM even for a normal banking account. However, in terms of branch presence in China, HSBC Group is the clear winner here.
QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 2 2013, 12:40 AM)
Oh yeah, would you be able to open a Bank of China account in China ? Last time i heard it is possible to wire money to an individual account from Bank of China Malaysia branch to Bank of China Mainland China. May be you can save a bit on transaction fees but you might need to trouble your friend or family to wire the money over to you. The simplest way would be to just open a HSBC or Citibank account in Malaysia.
I don't necessarily need to open the account with RM 20k right? sweat.gif I only need it to eat and shop a bit there... sweat.gif
You meant that's for HSBC Advance right? So, it has other normal accounts I presume?

I'm not sure yet but I do have the plan to check out Bank of China in Malaysia and I heard if they issue ATM card with Union Pay, then I'm pretty safe? I'm not sure if I can open a bank account in China because I'm not employed by them. sweat.gif
So, my best bet is to open one in Malaysia... smile.gif

Looks like I will need to check out BoC and for sure HSBC as well. Maybe will open Citibank as well, just in case.

Thanks for your help. notworthy.gif
MilesAndMore
post Oct 2 2013, 12:52 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 2 2013, 12:47 AM)
I don't necessarily need to open the account with RM 20k right? sweat.gif I only need it to eat and shop a bit there... sweat.gif
You meant that's for HSBC Advance right? So, it has other normal accounts I presume?

I'm not sure yet but I do have the plan to check out Bank of China in Malaysia and I heard if they issue ATM card with Union Pay, then I'm pretty safe? I'm not sure if I can open a bank account in China because I'm not employed by them. sweat.gif
So, my best bet is to open one in Malaysia... smile.gif

Looks like I will need to check out BoC and for sure HSBC as well. Maybe will open Citibank as well, just in case.

Thanks for your help. notworthy.gif
Haha. Don't worry. You can just open a HSBC Basic Savings Account with RM20. You do not have to pay the VISA debit card (HSBC no longer issue normal ATM card) annual fee and it comes with 8 free ATM cash withdrawal per month (local) thumbup.gif

fruitie
post Oct 2 2013, 12:55 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 2 2013, 12:52 AM)
Haha. Don't worry. You can just open a HSBC Basic Savings Account with RM20. You do not have to pay the VISA debit card (HSBC no longer issue normal ATM card) annual fee and it comes with 8 free ATM cash withdrawal per month (local)  thumbup.gif
Thanks a lot for the headsup. Terkejut I, RM 20k.. sweat.gif Indeed a big difference with just RM 20. laugh.gif
I will check out... RM 5 is still not too bad if I withdraw RMB 1k or RMB 500 at once. sweat.gif
EuPhoBoy
post Oct 3 2013, 06:17 PM

Getting Started
80 posts

I am a bit confused from what I get from my friends who went overseas before. They have been telling me about the high transaction costs incurred for withdrawals of cash abroad. For example, my friends told me the transaction costs for withdrawals using HSBC in France is around 5 to 10 euros each time. In UK, it's 8 pounds.

I was told the same thing mentioned by you guys here when I called and enquired about this from CIMB and Public Bank. I am just confused about why were they incurring so much costs when each transactions just cost us about RM10, like I was told by the banks' personnel.

I hope you guys can enlighten me on this. Thanks. =)

Gen-X
post Oct 12 2013, 03:53 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 12 2013, 03:31 AM)
Thanks for the link. notworthy.gif Helps me a lot.
If you don't mind, can you please help me on the issue I posted here as well: https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=63573118
Since I know you are so proficient in all these things. notworthy.gif
Miles&More has helped to reply, if you know also much appreciated on your inputs. notworthy.gif
fruitie

Okay, I am here, like I mentioned in OCBC Thread, check out Bank of China UnionPay card. It is a debit card and you can get one in Malaysia.

Link below for their branches:

http://www.bankofchina.com/my/en/aboutus/ab3/

Besides HSBC as Miles mentioned, you can also go open a Citibank Account locally (RM10) and then you have two choices to transfer money to China since it looks like there are many Citibank branches in Beijing and Shanghai.

1. Open Citibank Account in China and then perform Global Transfer online where funds are transferred immediately (max USD12K/day), i.e. you click transfer in your Malaysia Account and the amount will show up instantly in your China Citi acct. Confirmed here China in the list for Citi Online Global transfer.

2. Use your Citi Bank Debit Card and withdraw from Citibank ATMs in China.

In my article Melbourne Victoria Australia, I showed that I got better conversion rate with Citi Global Transfer compared to withdrawing cash at Citi ATM.

But I still think better choice is going with Bank of China UnionPay where you can easily access to your cash. Go check your M2U and see if you can transfer (giro) to Bank of China Malaysia. Come to think of it, be kiasu like me - go open savings account with HSBC, Citibank and BOC here and get their debit cards (and you can always transfer from your MBB account into these savings accounts).

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 12 2013, 04:26 AM
fruitie
post Oct 12 2013, 04:05 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 12 2013, 03:53 AM)
fruitie

Okay, I am here, like I mentioned in OCBC Thread, check out Bank of China UnionPay card. It is a debit card and you can get one in Malaysia.

Link below for their branches:

http://www.bankofchina.com/my/en/aboutus/ab3/

Besides HSBC as Miles mentioned, you can also go open a Citibank Account locally (RM10) and then you have two choices to transfer money to China since it looks like there are many Citibank branches in Beijing and Shanghai.

1.  Open Citibank Account in China and then perform Global Transfer online where funds are transferred immediately (max USD10K/day), i.e. you click transfer in your Malaysia Account and the amount will show up instantly in your China Citi acct.  Confirmed here China in the list for Citi Online Global transfer.

2. Use your Citi Bank Debit Card and withdraw from Citibank ATMs in China.

In my article Melbourne Victoria Australia, I showed that I got better conversion rate with Citi Global Transfer compared to withdrawing cash at Citi ATM.

But I still think better choice is going with Bank of China UnionPay where you can easily access  to your cash. Go check your M2U and see if you can transfer (giro) to Bank of China Malaysia. Come to think of it, be kiasu like me - go open account with both Citibank and  BOC here.
Thanks a lot for your input! I didn't know about the UnionPay card until you highlighted just now. Definitely need to apply one in BoC. At least it solves most of my issues there but still need to be prepared with situations where only cash is accepted. Will check out GIRO transfer, I believe Maybank should have for BoC. laugh.gif

I'm not too sure if they will allow me to open a bank account there when I don't have any source of income from their country. hmm.gif That's why I thought of opening one in Malaysia just in case I'm stuck there.

I'm going to be kiasu as well and open an account in Citi and HSBC. Since I will be in BoC to apply for UnionPay, will check out their banking service as well. Man, this trip is driving me crazy. rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 12 2013, 04:12 AM
Gen-X
post Oct 12 2013, 04:26 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 12 2013, 04:05 AM)
Thanks a lot for your input! I didn't know about the UnionPay card until you highlighted just now. Definitely need to apply one in BoC. At least it solves most of my issues there but still need to be prepared with situations where only cash is accepted. Will check out GIRO transfer, I believe Maybank should have for BoC. laugh.gif

I'm not too sure if they will allow me to open a bank account there when I don't have any source of income from their country. hmm.gif That's why I thought of opening one in Malaysia just in case I'm stuck there.

I'm going to be kiasu as well and open an account in Citi and HSBC. Since I will be in BoC to apply for UnionPay, will check out their banking service as well. Man, this trip is driving me crazy. rclxub.gif
If you go google UnionPay, it says that there are 5 million ATM accepting them!!! I guess you won't have any problems withdrawing cash in China with UnionPay Card. And by the way, I was in SG ION Orchard and not mistaken they have lounge for UnionPay customers (not sure what card only entitles one to enter) there!!!

Well, if you cannot open savings account in China, with the 3 debit cards, I suppose you will have no problems getting cash from ATMs. tongue.gif

fruitie
post Oct 12 2013, 04:35 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 12 2013, 04:26 AM)
If you go google UnionPay, it says that there  are 5 million ATM accepting them!!! I guess you won't have any problems withdrawing cash in China with UnionPay Card. And by the way, I was in SG ION Orchard and not mistaken they have lounge for UnionPay customers (not sure what card only entitles one to enter) there!!!

Well, if you cannot open savings account in China, with the 3 debit cards, I suppose you will have no problems getting cash from ATMs. tongue.gif
Great help! notworthy.gif
I checked through Citibank's Global Transfer, it seems for China is only applicable for non-Renminbi accounts. So, it means to open a Citibank account in China is totally out of question now. Will definitely need to open one here, and transfer via M2U Giro. laugh.gif
Yes, you are right, if I still can't survive with those 3 cards there, I think will inform my boss, I want to cancel my assignment and come back Malaysia. laugh.gif

By the way, back to the UnionPay, the link you showed earlier in OCBC thread. It seems that it has two types: Great Wall Travel Prepaid Card (“GWTPC”) and Great Wall Prepaid Card (“GWPPC”). For GWTPC, one of the clauses mentions this: GWTPC can only be used for purchasing, no ATM withdrawal allowed. Please treat your card like cash.
-It seems this card cannot be used for ATM withdrawal. hmm.gif

But GWPPC didn't mention anything about that, maybe GWPPC is the one I should apply. smile.gif

Add on: Bank of China is not in Maybank's Giro list. Surprised to know there is another bank called Industrial & Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) which is in GIRO list for Maybank and Citibank. Haven't checked out for HSBC yet.
It also has UnionPay: http://www.icbc.com.cn/icbc/%E6%B5%B7%E5%A...ard/default.htm

Will check out more after I catch some sleep. rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 12 2013, 04:53 AM
Gen-X
post Oct 12 2013, 12:57 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 12 2013, 04:35 AM)
Great help! notworthy.gif
I checked through Citibank's Global Transfer, it seems for China is only applicable for non-Renminbi accounts. So, it means to open a Citibank account in China is totally out of question now. Will definitely need to open one here, and transfer via M2U Giro. laugh.gif
Yes, you are right, if I still can't survive with those 3 cards there, I think will inform my boss, I want to cancel my assignment and come back Malaysia. laugh.gif

By the way, back to the UnionPay, the link you showed earlier in OCBC thread. It seems that it has two types: Great Wall Travel Prepaid Card (“GWTPC”) and Great Wall Prepaid Card (“GWPPC”). For GWTPC, one of the clauses mentions this: GWTPC can only be used for purchasing, no ATM withdrawal allowed. Please treat your card like cash.
-It seems this card cannot be used for ATM withdrawal. hmm.gif

But GWPPC didn't mention anything about that, maybe GWPPC is the one I should apply. smile.gif

Add on: Bank of China is not in Maybank's Giro list. Surprised to know there is another bank called Industrial & Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) which is in GIRO list for Maybank and Citibank. Haven't checked out for HSBC yet.
It also has UnionPay: http://www.icbc.com.cn/icbc/%E6%B5%B7%E5%A...ard/default.htm

Will check out more after I catch some sleep. rclxub.gif
If you do not want the assignment, please recommend me to your boss, I don't mind 3 months contract smile.gif

I guess you answered yourself which BOC Debit card to get.

But like you said, better option to get ICBC Union Pay Debit Card as can transfer fund with M2U. So now you can add another Debit Card to your collection tongue.gif And then write a review of using them in China as a guest columnist in my blog, hahahahaha And if you getting the ICBC Debit Card, might as get their credit card too sweat.gif

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 12 2013, 01:01 PM
fruitie
post Oct 12 2013, 02:20 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 12 2013, 12:57 PM)
If you do not want the assignment, please  recommend me to your boss, I don't mind 3 months contract  smile.gif 

I guess you answered yourself which BOC Debit card to get.

But like you said, better option to get ICBC Union Pay Debit Card as can transfer fund with M2U. So now you can add another Debit Card to your collection  tongue.gif And then write a review of using them in China as a guest columnist in my blog, hahahahaha And if you getting the ICBC Debit Card, might as get their credit card too  sweat.gif
laugh.gif

Yes, I just made a call to ICBC to check out on their debit card. Can use it to withdraw money in any UnionPay ATMs, yeah. rclxm9.gif But ICBC being one of the most reputable banks in China, their ATMs are everywhere. So can save on a lot of transaction fees. biggrin.gif

Will check out more when I visit their bank soon. The CS I spoken to doesn't really sound convincing... laugh.gif

Credit Card? No la, I don't want their CC. sweat.gif China is cash friendly... laugh.gif CC I think I can survive with my Malaysia issued CCs. tongue.gif
SUSOptiplex330
post Oct 13 2013, 01:12 AM

10k Club
12,696 posts

Just a quick note.

You can use your bank ATM card or Credit Card to withdraw cash from overseas ATM machines.

Using ATM card (AFAIK, only cards with CIRRUS or PLUS logo will work) will normally incur some small charges (there are exceptions). May be RM10 or RM20 or whatever.

Using Credit Card will incur LOTs of charges.

So note the difference in which one you are using.

This post has been edited by Optiplex330: Oct 13 2013, 01:40 PM
fruitie
post Oct 13 2013, 01:24 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

Ya, knew about that and from the first day itself I have thrown away my credit card pin no. smile.gif So, I won't withdraw money from it. smile.gif

Will only go for ATM or Debit Card when it comes to money withdrawal.
zenquix
post Oct 13 2013, 10:36 PM

Life is short!
2,546 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 13 2013, 01:24 AM)
Ya, knew about that and from the first day itself I have thrown away my credit card pin no. smile.gif So, I won't withdraw money from it. smile.gif

Will only go for ATM or Debit Card when it comes to money withdrawal.
come 2015, you need your PIN when purchasing stuff. No more signature.

Stick to ATM (Cirrus of Plus). Better than bringing wads of cash.
fruitie
post Oct 13 2013, 11:50 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(zenquix @ Oct 13 2013, 10:36 PM)
come 2015, you  need your PIN when purchasing stuff. No more signature.

Stick to ATM (Cirrus of Plus). Better than bringing wads of cash.
sweat.gif Then, I will need to contact bank to reset my password. laugh.gif

Ya, not bringing a lot of cash. smile.gif
fruitie
post Oct 14 2013, 04:19 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

MilesAndMore and Gen-X, an update on my case since I took leave today with the hope that I could open either Citibank or HSBC account in Seremban since I'm back here.

I just got to know Citibank has no branch in Seremban. doh.gif Then no choice went to HSBC and they didn't allow me to open a basic account with them. I can only open if I invest in their education or insurance plan. doh.gif I wasn't too happy about that and I said I made a call to their CS yesterday and was told this is possible. Then the officer started asking me which company I work for and etc. I showed him my business card and the company I'm working for is a very renowned MNC. He took my business card and spoke to his superior, he came back with the same answer but I'm allowed to open HSBC Advance Current Account. I will need to maintain RM 20k balance or RM 10 will be deducted from account every month. doh.gif To open it I need RM 500. If I refused to accept this offer, I will need to tie to education or insurance plan in order for me to open savings account with them.

I stood up and said thank you, I'm not interested. sleep.gif
Gen-X
post Oct 14 2013, 04:53 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 14 2013, 04:19 PM)
MilesAndMore and Gen-X, an update on my case since I took leave today with the hope that I could open either Citibank or HSBC account in Seremban since I'm back here.

I just got to know Citibank has no branch in Seremban. doh.gif Then no choice went to HSBC and they didn't allow me to open a basic account with them. I can only open if I invest in their education or insurance plan. doh.gif I wasn't too happy about that and I said I made a call to their CS yesterday and was told this is possible. Then the officer started asking me which company I work for and etc. I showed him my business card and the company I'm working for is a very renowned MNC. He took my business card and spoke to his superior, he came back with the same answer but I'm allowed to open HSBC Advance Current Account. I will need to maintain RM 20k balance or RM 10 will be deducted from account every month. doh.gif To open it I need RM 500. If I refused to accept this offer, I will need to tie to education or insurance plan in order for me to open savings account with them.

I stood up and said thank you, I'm not interested. sleep.gif
hahaha, why you never check if Citi got branch in Seremban. As for HSBC, only MilesAndMore likes them (JK sifu Miles)i whereas I don't have any HSBC banking accounts since they don't offer any FD promos to existing customers. But I got a HSBC Australia Debit card with my Transaction Account (no interest acct) and it has less than AUD10 in it, hahaha.

And maybe you should go complain with BNM and say that HSBC has this stupid policy where one needs to have some investment plan with them to open a normal Savings Account. This is too much, it's like blackmail, yes, go make complain, I support you tongue.gif

I can confirm here and now that Citibank no need purchase any investment plan to sign up for a Savings Account. All you have to do is deposit very nominal sum (I think my daughter's account has less than RM15 in it) and you'll be issued the Citibank Debit Card on the spot. Now, now, all their Debit cards' 16 digit numbers are pre-embossed (more like printed) , so if you like can be extra nice to the person issuing the card (example, wah you hair very nice or nice watch you got there or if he's a guy, call him leng chai), he/she might just let you choose the number you like thumbup.gif As you know I am a freaking nice person, so I got to choose Citi debit card numbers for my wife, son, daughter and myself, hahahaha.

Wednesday go to ICBC and Citi to open their Savings Account. Both have branches in KL and Puchong (check their website for branches location).

On by the way, don't forget, if you wish to give up your China assignment, please recommend me to your boss to replace you. And since you going to China, maybe you should recommend to Admin that I stand in for you here as staff until you get back nod.gif

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 14 2013, 05:13 PM
fruitie
post Oct 14 2013, 05:28 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 14 2013, 04:53 PM)
hahaha, why you never check if Citi got branch in Seremban. As for HSBC, only MilesAndMore likes them (JK sifu Miles)i whereas I don't have any HSBC banking accounts since they don't offer any FD promos to existing customers. But I got a HSBC Australia Debit card with my Transaction Account (no interest acct) and it has less than AUD10 in it, hahaha.

And maybe you should go complain with BNM and say that HSBC has this stupid policy where one needs to have some investment plan with them to open a normal Savings Account. This is too much, it's like blackmail, yes, go make complain, I support you  tongue.gif

I can confirm here and now that Citibank no need purchase any investment plan to sign up for a Savings Account. All you have to do is deposit very nominal sum (I think my daughter's account has less than RM15 in it) and you'll be issued the Citibank Debit Card on the spot. Now, now, all their Debit cards' 16 digit numbers are pre-embossed (more like printed) , so if you like can be extra nice to the person issuing the card (example, wah you hair very nice or nice watch you got there or if he's a guy, call him leng chai), he/she might just let you choose the number you like   thumbup.gif  As you know I am a freaking nice person, so I got to choose Citi debit card numbers for my wife, son, daughter and myself, hahahaha.

Wednesday go to ICBC and Citi to open their Savings Account. Both have branches in KL and Puchong (check their website for branches location).

On by the way, don't forget, if you wish to give up your China assignment, please recommend me to your boss to replace you. And since you going to China, maybe you should recommend to Admin that I stand in for you here as staff until you get back nod.gif
I checked and there was an address who knows it is a fake address. Well, fair to say the information wasn't from Citibank's site. tongue.gif

I called Citibank and they need employment confirmation letter and 3-month payslip. rclxub.gif But they said they could accept business card as well if I don't have confirmation letter. However, still up to their management's discretion to allow me to open or not. I cannot imagine that opening a savings account in foreign bank can be so tedious....

I'm going to Citibank Jalan Ampang and ICBC KL near to KLCC... Maybe Thursday or Friday, Wednesday is very busy as I'm not working since last Friday. tongue.gif
If I still cannot solve this issue, looks like I will need to give up on this assignment...

laugh.gif at the bold part.

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 14 2013, 05:29 PM
Gen-X
post Oct 14 2013, 05:37 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 14 2013, 05:28 PM)
I checked and there was an address who knows it is a fake address. Well, fair to say the information wasn't from Citibank's site. tongue.gif

I called Citibank and they need employment confirmation letter and 3-month payslip. rclxub.gif But they said they could accept business card as well if I don't have confirmation letter. However, still up to their management's discretion to allow me to open or not. I cannot imagine that opening a savings account in foreign bank can be so tedious....

I'm going to Citibank Jalan Ampang and ICBC KL near to KLCC... Maybe Thursday or Friday, Wednesday is very busy as I'm not working since last Friday. tongue.gif
If I still cannot solve this issue, looks like I will need to give up on this assignment...

laugh.gif at the bold part.
Fake Citi adress, hahahaha

Oh yes, opening a Citi Account really time consuming, can take up to 1 hour or more. Foreign banks like Citi has to be careful because US government suka suka can fine banks for this and that.

But once you open a Citi banking account, next time easy to open another account as all your info in their system. But, I must warn you, never deposit your money with Citibank FD/Term Deposit. Click here to read my article Privilege Premier Priority where I mentioned a Citi customer called Citibank - Shittybank, because she could not withdraw her FD as no personal banker was around!!!

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 14 2013, 05:41 PM
SUSOptiplex330
post Oct 14 2013, 08:36 PM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 14 2013, 05:37 PM)

Oh yes, opening a Citi Account really time consuming, can take up to 1 hour or more. Foreign banks like Citi has to be careful because US government suka suka can fine banks for this and that.

But once you open a Citi banking account, next time easy to open another account as all your info in their system. But, I must warn you, never deposit your money with Citibank FD/Term Deposit. Click here to read my article Privilege Premier Priority where I mentioned a Citi customer called Citibank - Shittybank, because she could not withdraw her FD as no personal banker was around!!!
Foreign banks are very very careful about people laundering money. So they will ask lots of questions and lots of procedures to follow etc. Some even want to know what sorts of underwear you got on if you want to send a few thousands to your son or daughter. Exaggerating a bit but you got the picture.

fruitie
post Oct 14 2013, 09:45 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

laugh.gif Thanks for the heads-up.
Looks like I will need to take another off day to settle my banking issue. doh.gif

If I manage to open one savings account with Citibank, I'm going to maintain it just for the sake of convenience in the future. biggrin.gif
MilesAndMore
post Oct 14 2013, 10:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 12 2013, 02:20 PM)
Yes, I just made a call to ICBC to check out on their debit card. Can use it to withdraw money in any UnionPay ATMs, yeah. But ICBC being one of the most reputable banks in China, their ATMs are everywhere. So can save on a lot of transaction fees.
The name Bank of China may gives people the impression that it is the main and largest bank in China but actually, ICBC is the real largest bank in China not only terms of branch presence but also total deposit smile.gif

By the way, good find on the ICBC Malaysia credit card. Did not know ICBC Malaysia has already ventured out to the credit card business here!

Did you by any chance ask them if you can deposit RMB in cash into your RMB account here in Malaysia ? Because if you can, then you can save even more as you can just buy RMB from money changer and deposit the money into your RMB account in ICBC Malaysia.

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 14 2013, 04:19 PM)
Then no choice went to HSBC and they didn't allow me to open a basic account with them. I can only open if I invest in their education or insurance plan. I wasn't too happy about that and I said I made a call to their CS yesterday and was told this is possible. Then the officer started asking me which company I work for and etc. I showed him my business card and the company I'm working for is a very renowned MNC. He took my business card and spoke to his superior, he came back with the same answer but I'm allowed to open HSBC Advance Current Account. I will need to maintain RM 20k balance or RM 10 will be deducted from account every month. To open it I need RM 500. If I refused to accept this offer, I will need to tie to education or insurance plan in order for me to open savings account with them.

I stood up and said thank you, I'm not interested.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with HSBC. Did not know they now resort to such tactic just to do more sales nowadays shakehead.gif

As for HSBC, only MilesAndMore likes them (JK sifu Miles)i whereas I don't have any HSBC banking accounts since they don't offer any FD promos to existing customers.
Well you know me well biggrin.gif I really fancy their global banking service tongue.gif

I can confirm here and now that Citibank no need purchase any investment plan to sign up for a Savings Account. All you have to do is deposit very nominal sum (I think my daughter's account has less than RM15 in it) and you'll be issued the Citibank Debit Card on the spot. Now, now, all their Debit cards' 16 digit numbers are pre-embossed (more like printed) , so if you like can be extra nice to the person issuing the card (example, wah you hair very nice or nice watch you got there or if he's a guy, call him leng chai), he/she might just let you choose the number you like. As you know I am a freaking nice person, so I got to choose Citi debit card numbers for my wife, son, daughter and myself, hahahaha.

I think Citibank too, is more interested in opening a CitiGold account rather than just a normal savings account. I personally had a very bad experience at Citibank HQ. I tried to open a savings account like 4 or 5 years ago but when i got there, i realized i left my IC in the other bag in my hotel room. It was already around 3pm then and it was Friday. The officer told me all non-cash counters are open until 5pm. So i went back to my hotel room and i managed to get back to Citibank at 4.30pm. I took a number and waited but guess what ? It was 4.50pm (20 minutes later!! vmad.gif ) already and the queue number had not move once! They were ready to close. I approached a Citibank officer who just came out from a room. He was actually very apologetic and he tried to find an account opening officer for me but unfortunately, all had already left which totally shocked me as the banking hall was still open then! How can they all left already when the banking hours is not over ? doh.gif

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 14 2013, 05:28 PM)
I called Citibank and they need employment confirmation letter and 3-month payslip. But they said they could accept business card as well if I don't have confirmation letter. However, still up to their management's discretion to allow me to open or not. I cannot imagine that opening a savings account in foreign bank can be so tedious....
So i see they have not done away with such policy yet! I was told the same thing by their Citibank online support staff. However, a friend of mine went to open a CitiGold account a few years ago during the time they had this 5% Time Deposit promotion and he did not have to supply his employment letter and 3-month payslip. The only thing he showed them is a RM500,000 cheque and that was it sweat.gif I think only half of the money was entitled for the 5% promo rate... but the thing is, he started a CitiGold banking relationship with Citibank with 500k and Citibank was very happy to proceed to open an account for him right away sweat.gif

But, I must warn you, never deposit your money with Citibank FD/Term Deposit. Click here to read my article Privilege Premier Priority where I mentioned a Citi customer called Citibank - Shittybank, because she could not withdraw her FD as no personal banker was around!!!
Yeah, i can't imagine not one personal banker is around during banking hours in a global bank like Citibank! doh.gif

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 14 2013, 09:45 PM)
Thanks for the heads-up.
Looks like I will need to take another off day to settle my banking issue.

If I manage to open one savings account with Citibank, I'm going to maintain it just for the sake of convenience in the future. biggrin.gif
Good luck mate! Last time i was told that as account opening is pending approval, therefore no debit card will be issued. Instead, if your application is approved, they will then mail the debit card to your correspondence address.

This post has been edited by MilesAndMore: Oct 14 2013, 10:51 PM
fruitie
post Oct 14 2013, 10:54 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

Thanks MilesAndMore I haven't gone to ICBC yet, good point for me to check out. I don't intend to take their credit card by the way. laugh.gif

For me, being able to GIRO from Maybank already a plus point for me. Other things are not that important. laugh.gif

Oh God, looks like I'll face another round of obstacle in Citibank. doh.gif I don't think I will be eligible for CitiGold, I just want a normal basic savings account. So difficult meh? cry.gif

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 14 2013, 11:02 PM
fly126
post Oct 14 2013, 11:10 PM

Lousy One
4,404 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 14 2013, 10:54 PM)
I haven't gone to ICBC yet, good point for me to check out. I don't intend to take their credit card by the way. laugh.gif

For me, being able to GIRO from Maybank already a plus point for me. Other things are not that important. laugh.gif

Oh God, looks like I'll face another round of obstacle in Citibank. doh.gif I don't think I will be eligible for CitiGold, I just want a normal basic savings account. So difficult meh? cry.gif
Last Time I Remember When I want to Open My Citibank Basic Saving Account at 2007-08 (the Year when World Economic Meltdown Crisis),
When the Citibank almost Bankrupt at that time, They Have to Interview me on Background Checking for almost 1 hrs just for that... whistling.gif sweat.gif

This post has been edited by fly126: Oct 14 2013, 11:18 PM
fruitie
post Oct 14 2013, 11:12 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(fly126 @ Oct 14 2013, 11:10 PM)
Last Time I Remember I When I Open My Citibank Basic Saving Account at 2007-08 (the when Year the World Economic Meltdown Crisis)...   
When the Citibank almost Bankrupt at that time, They Have to Interviewed me on Background Checking for almost 1 hrs for that... whistling.gif  sweat.gif
Thanks. Now they are doing well, so I think my chances to get probably near to 0.
I hope ICBC won't give me much headache there. doh.gif
fly126
post Oct 14 2013, 11:24 PM

Lousy One
4,404 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 14 2013, 11:12 PM)
Thanks. Now they are doing well, so I think my chances to get probably near to 0.
I hope ICBC won't give me much headache there. doh.gif
Have a try 1st with Citibank... U Never Try, U Never Know laugh.gif
fruitie
post Oct 14 2013, 11:56 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(fly126 @ Oct 14 2013, 11:24 PM)
Have a try 1st with Citibank... U Never Try,  U Never Know laugh.gif
I will apply for ICBC first and proceed with Citibank later. nod.gif
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 12:08 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 14 2013, 10:45 PM)
By the way, good find on the ICBC Malaysia credit card. Did not know ICBC Malaysia has already ventured out to the credit card business here!

So i see they have not done away with such policy yet! I was told the same thing by their Citibank online support staff. However, a friend of mine went to open a CitiGold account a few years ago during the time they had this 5% Time Deposit promotion and he did not have to supply his employment letter and 3-month payslip.

Yeah, i can't imagine not one personal banker is around during banking hours in a global bank like Citibank!   doh.gif
I can sense that somebody here is going to get the ICBC credit card tongue.gif

When I signed up for CitiGold account for the 5% Savings Account promo 2+ years back, I was already unemployed and when the Personal Banker asked for the name of my current company it was a problem. But I used to have Citi credit cards which I had terminated and in their records it still showed I was employed by the very first company I had worked for more than 20 years ago!!! So the personal banker if not mistaken just key in own business. Then the personal banker asked me source of money,I was like huh? And you'll be surprised what he keyed in, too bad I am not disclosing it tongue.gif My wife also sign up for the CitiGold Account and for her Citibank accepted housewife when it came to the employment question. Not only that, Citi issued my wife the PremierMiles Visa Signature and has been offering to increase her CL recently when their records shows she is a housewife!!! After the 5% promo (3 months), I closed the CitiGold Accounts because I thought later if Citi has a savings promo again I can be eligible for it after 6 months. But since then their promos are tied to investment plans so never sign up for CitiGold account again. And when I sign up for the CitiGold, I once again sign up for their Plat credit card and have been holding it since then (Citi very good to me, I wanted to cancel the Plat after a year because I did not like the 16 digit number and they issued me a new card with a different number, hahaha).

Yeah, it is really shocking that one cannot withdraw his own money from the bank (because there is no personal banker around)!!! Even in Melbourne, Citibank most of the time only has 1 teller, and if she goes for her lunch break, you cannot withdraw or deposit a single sen!!! And every time she will ask me the source of the cheque I'm banking in sweat.gif Opening account in Melbourne also may need to wait like hell if their Personal Banker is busy attending to someone else. But once Citi accounts are up and running, Citi is great, I click on the mouse and my money is transferred instantly from my Citi Malaysia Savings Acct to my Citi Australia Acct ( and can go immediately use my Citi Oz Debit Card).

And sifu Miles. I know this will interest you even tho it is OT. Only couple months bank Commonwealth Bank introduced the very first Cash Deposit Machine in Melbourne located at their new "teller-less" branch at QV. I tell you, Australia banks are like 10 years behind us. And I think they will never have the Cheque Deposit Machine like we do here because hardly anyone uses personal cheque in Australia. My younger cousins who have been working there for years don't have a cheque book, where as I an unemployed old timer has cheque book from Citibank.

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 14 2013, 10:54 PM)
No need CitiGold to have Citi Savings Account. Both my son and daughter are students and they have their own Citi Savings Account. The thing is this, the person who is opening your Citibank account is a Personal Banker and his main income is from selling Citi products to their customers besides having a monthly quota of RMx deposit (I can't remember the exact amount). So yes, they prefer if the customer sign up for CitiGold status BUT it is still part of their service to open new account for other customers who are not into CitiGold.

But like Miles said, better go early and experience their wonderful global service tongue.gif

Come to thing of it, better you go to ICBC and get your account up and running and if got time only go to Citi because I feel the ICBC card would be adequate for your China assignment. Citi only as backup and may not even be necessary as zenquix mentioned, we still can withdraw cash with our local bank Visa or MasterCard Debit Card that has the Cirrus or Plus logo.

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 15 2013, 12:46 AM
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 12:12 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 12:08 AM)
No need CitiGold to have Citi Savings Account. Both my son and daughter are students and they have their own Citi Savings Account. The thing is this, the person who is opening your Citibank account is a Personal Banker and his main income is from selling Citi products to their customers besides having a monthly quota of RMx deposit (I can't remember the exact amount). So yes, they prefer if the customer sign up for CitiGold status BUT it is still part of their service to open new account for other customers who are not into CitiGold.

But like Miles said, better go early and experience their wonderful global service  tongue.gif 

Come to thing of it, better you go to ICBC and get your account up and running and if got time only go to Citi because I feel the ICBC card would be adequate for your China assignment. Citi only as backup and may not even be necessary as zenquix mentioned, we still can withdraw cash with our local bank Visa or MasterCard Credit Card that has the Cirrus or Plus logo.
Yeah, I hope they will consider and let me open one for backup. My priority is ICBC. sweat.gif I hope it is smooth over there. laugh.gif
The problem is I will need to get bank to reset my password as I don't bother to keep those passwords. laugh.gif

Shall update here on my journey of opening savings accounts in foreign banks. biggrin.gif
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 12:14 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 12:12 AM)
Yeah, I hope they will consider and let me open one for backup. My priority is ICBC. sweat.gif I hope it is smooth over there. laugh.gif
The problem is I will need to get bank to reset my password as I don't bother to keep those passwords. laugh.gif

Shall update here on my journey of opening savings accounts in foreign banks. biggrin.gif
Made a typo, don't use credit card to withdraw cash. I edited my earlier post, should be read as our local bank DEBIT card with the Cirrus and Plus logo.

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 15 2013, 12:14 AM
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 12:16 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 12:14 AM)
Made a typo, don't use credit card to withdraw cash. I edited my earlier post, should be read as our local bank DEBIT card with the Cirrus and Plus logo.
Oh yes, if debit card sounds much better. biggrin.gif
Credit card a big no to me. laugh.gif

I have no debit card yet, even my Maybank card is the old ATM. blush.gif
Maybe I will just need to change it for future proof. laugh.gif
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 12:31 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 12:16 AM)
Oh yes, if debit card sounds much better. biggrin.gif
Credit card a big no to me. laugh.gif

I have no debit card yet, even my Maybank card is the old ATM. blush.gif
Maybe I will just need to change it for future proof. laugh.gif
Most of our local bank debit cards have Plus or Cirrus logo.

UOB Debit Card MasterCard has Cirrus logo and I have used it in US where the conversion rate is the same as spot rate but every withdrawal will cost me RM12. And UOB debit card got a daily limit of RM1K only!!!

My MBB Platinum Debit MasterCard has the Cirrus logo too. Can't remember what is my daily withdrawal limit. Actually I don't even remember the password, hahaha. I got it because I wanted the Maybank Online Savings Account that pays reasonable interest rate for amount above RM2K. Go check what fee is imposed for overseas withdrawal.

My RHB Debit MasterCard useless as only got BankCard logo, can't withdraw a sen with it when I was in USA. But my RHB Premier Visa Debit Card got Plus logo. So I guess RHB out.

My Alliance Bank MasterCard Debit Card has the Cirrus logo. Never used it overseas so got no idea if any fee.

My local Citibank Visa Debit Card has the Plus logo. Also check with Citibank how much it will cost you per withdrawal (even with Citi ATM in China). Citibank told me no charges if I withdraw from Citi ATM, well guess what, I was charged RM10 per withdrawal when I used it in Melbourne Citibank Chinatown ATM.

Conclusion - firstly go get a MBB MasterCard Debit Card that has Cirrus logo and another Debit Card that has Plus logo (e.g. Citibank).
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 12:35 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 12:31 AM)
Most of our local bank debit cards have Plus or Cirrus logo.

UOB Debit Card MasterCard has Cirrus logo and I have used it in US where the conversion rate is the same as spot rate but every withdrawal will cost me RM12. And UOB debit card got a daily limit of RM1K only!!!

My MBB Platinum Debit MasterCard has the Cirrus logo too. Can't remember what is my daily withdrawal limit. Actually I don't even remember the password, hahaha. I got it because I wanted the Maybank Online Savings Account that pays reasonable interest rate for amount above RM2K. Go check what fee is imposed for overseas withdrawal.

My RHB Debit MasterCard useless as only got BankCard logo, can't withdraw a sen with it when I was in USA. But my RHB Premier Visa Debit Card got Plus logo. So I guess RHB out.

My Alliance Bank MasterCard Debit Card has the Cirrus logo. Never used it overseas so got no idea if any fee.

My local Citibank Visa Debit Card has the Plus logo. Also check with Citibank how much it will cost you per withdrawal (even with Citi ATM in China). Citibank told me no charges if I withdraw from Citi ATM, well guess what, I was charged RM10 per withdrawal when I used it in Melbourne Citibank Chinatown ATM.

Conclusion - firstly go get a MBB MasterCard Debit Card that has Cirrus logo and another Debit Card that has Plus logo (e.g. Citibank).
Man, you are awesome! Truly guru in all types of cards. laugh.gif

I remember that and I have that account as well. tongue.gif

Ya, Citibank also told me free unlimited, thanks for the heads-up. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 15 2013, 12:36 AM
zenquix
post Oct 15 2013, 12:42 AM

Life is short!
2,546 posts

you can use your ATM card overseas as long it has the Plus or Cirrus logo. No need debit card.

May have to activate for overseas use though. oh yeah and check the charges.

recommended way to get cash in long term overseas posting
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 12:51 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 12:35 AM)
Man, you are awesome! Truly guru in all types of cards. laugh.gif

I remember that and I have that account as well. tongue.gif

Ya, Citibank also told me free unlimited, thanks for the heads-up. biggrin.gif
oh, I forgot, you must go get the coolest Debit Card on Planet Earth where I believe it should have the Plus logo and this card will be accepted even if your company sent you on a intergalactic assignment laugh.gif

user posted image
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 12:56 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 12:51 AM)
oh, I forgot, you must go get the coolest Debit Card on Planet Earth where I believe it should have the Plus logo and this card will be accepted even if your company sent you on a intergalactic assignment  laugh.gif 

user posted image
I wanted the Superman Maybank card. laugh.gif
Sorry, quick and noob question... Since Debit Card directly deducts from my bank account balance... How to ensure that if I lost my card today and somebody picks it up, will this person able to swipe anything and deduct from my balance? Any security measurement will be applied before any charges can be charged to debit card? I know if credit card, will need to block card and raise dispute but at least it is a credit card, so no actual payment is deducted from me yet...

Apologies for this stupid question because I only have normal ATM and credit cards. blush.gif
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 01:00 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 12:56 AM)
Sorry, quick and noob question... Since Debit Card directly deducts from my bank account balance... How to ensure that if I lost my card today and somebody picks it up, will this person able to swipe anything and deduct from my balance? Any security measurement will be applied before any charges can be charged to debit card? I know if credit card, will need to block card and raise dispute but at least it is a credit card, so no actual payment is deducted from me yet...

Apologies for this stupid question because I only have normal ATM and credit cards. blush.gif
The beauty of a Debit Card is that you can control your damage, i.e. only deposit the amount you need into the account that is linked to the card. Not sure for China but it Australia we need to key in the PIN number when using Debit Card to pay for stuff at outlets; however, recently at Woolworths (one of the 2 biggest supermarket in Oz) one do not need to key in the PIN if amount less than AUD30.

Just like credit cards, guard your debit cards with your life tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 15 2013, 01:02 AM
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 01:03 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 01:00 AM)
The beauty of a Debit Card is that you can control your damage, i.e. only deposit the amount you need into the account that is linked to the card. Not sure for China but it Australia we need to key in the PIN number when using Debit Card to pay for stuff at outlets; however, recently at Woolworths (one of the 2 biggest supermarket in Oz) one do not need to key in the PIN if amount less than AUD30.

Just like credit cards, guard your debit cards with your life  tongue.gif
sweat.gif Pretty dangerous isn't it if I lost the card? sweat.gif
hmm.gif Maybe I will need to open a new Maybank savings account and just use it for debit card purpose.

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 15 2013, 01:04 AM
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 01:10 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 01:03 AM)
sweat.gif Pretty dangerous isn't it if I lost the card? sweat.gif
hmm.gif Maybe I will need to open a new Maybank savings account and just use it for debit card purpose.
Yes, I think that is best. Go open new MBB Savings Acct (in another branch) and get another Debit Card.

ICBC UnionPay Debit Card.

Citibank Visa Debit Card with Plus Logo - new Savings Acct nominal amount to open. Just go deposit RM50 when the Personal Banker ask you how much you want deposit. Say you will transfer later from M2U.

Hong Leong Bank Transformer Visa Debit Card with Plus Logo - new Savings Acct with RM1K deposit but you can withdraw next day I believe but must maintain RM10 but better you check with them, I might be wrong here.

UOB MasterCard with Cirrus Logo - New Savings Accout with RM450 deposit I think but can go withdraw next day. This card good if lost, withdrawal limit only RM1K/day.

Transfer only the amount required from M2U account to the above related Savings Acct.

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 15 2013, 01:14 AM
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 01:13 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 01:10 AM)
Yes, I think that is best.

ICBC UnionPay Debit Card.

Citibank Visa Debit Card with Plus Logo - new Savings Acct nominal amount to open. Just go deposit RM50 when the Personal Banker ask you how much you want deposit. Say you will transfer later from M2U.

Hong Leong Bank Transformer Visa Debit Card with Plus Logo - new Savings Acct with RM1K deposit but you can withdraw next day I believe but must maintain RM10 but better you check with them, I might be wrong here.

UOB MasterCard with Cirrus Logo - New Savings Accout with RM450 deposit I think but can go withdraw next day. This card good if lost, withdrawal limit only RM1K/day.

Transfer only the amount required from M2U account to the above cards.
Good points and well noted. smile.gif
Then, I don't need to get a Maybank Debit Card yet since it is my main bank, I really don't want to risk it for unnecessary risky things. sweat.gif
Just let it use for ATM and Giro purpose only. sweat.gif

Looks like it is Citibank and UOB now since I will get Plus and Cirrus. Of course ICBC for UnionPay.
Anymore other choices besides UOB For Cirrus?

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 15 2013, 01:14 AM
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 01:16 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 01:13 AM)
Good points and well noted. smile.gif
Then, I don't need to get a Maybank Debit Card yet since it is my main bank, I really don't want to risk it for unnecessary risky things. sweat.gif
Just let it use for ATM and Giro purpose only. sweat.gif

Looks like it is Citibank and UOB now since I will get Plus and Cirrus. Of course ICBC for UnionPay.
Anymore other choices besides UOB For Cirrus?
I just edited my earlier post. Open MBB account at another branch and get a new debit card. Maybe open a joint account where the first name is not yours? MBB is MasterCard so it should be Cirrus.

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 15 2013, 01:17 AM
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 01:22 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 01:16 AM)
I just edited my earlier post. Open MBB account at another branch and get a new debit card. Maybe open a joint account where the first name is not yours? MBB is MasterCard so it should be Cirrus.
Actually besides for Cirrus, what could be the reason I should go for Maybank Debit Card? Assuming if I don't want to open any joint account for the trouble and also there is a risk of my bank account could be exploited? For any other convenience?

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 15 2013, 01:23 AM
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 01:30 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 01:22 AM)
Actually besides for Cirrus, what could be the reason I should go for Maybank Debit Card? Assuming if I don't want to open any joint account for the trouble and also there is a risk of my bank account could be exploited? For any other convenience?
None.

I guess you got no reasons now for not accepting the China assignment since your concern in respect to access to cash there is solved with you having debit cards from our local incorporated banks. There goes my chance to replace you for the China assignment but it is getting brighter for me to stand in for you here, hahahahaha

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 15 2013, 01:31 AM
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 01:36 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 01:30 AM)
None.

I guess you got no reasons now for not accepting the China assignment since your concern in respect to access to cash there is solved with you having debit cards from our local incorporated banks. There goes my chance to replace you for the China assignment but it is getting brighter for me to stand in for you here, hahahahaha
laugh.gif Let's see how it goes, I have been really unlucky with all these applications lately.
My plan:
1) Open savings account in ICBC to get their debit card that comes with UnionPay
2) Open savings account in Citibank to get their debit card that comes with Plus
3) Open savings account in UOB to get their debit card that comes with Cirrus (optional if I'm not too busy laugh.gif)
4) Status quo for my Maybank, let it continue in ATM now, not changing it to debit card. laugh.gif

I guess with my plan, I hope I can execute whatever I intended in China with no interruption. I shall report here for updates.
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 01:38 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 01:36 AM)
laugh.gif Let's see how it goes, I have been really unlucky with all these applications lately.
My plan:
1) Open savings account in ICBC to get their debit card that comes with UnionPay
2) Open savings account in Citibank to get their debit card that comes with Plus
3) Open savings account in UOB to get their debit card that comes with Cirrus (optional if I'm not too busy laugh.gif)
4) Status quo for my Maybank, let it continue in ATM now, not changing it to debit card. laugh.gif

I guess with my plan, I hope I can execute whatever I intended in China with no interruption. I shall report here for updates.
And don't forget, you still got your OCBC and MBB 2 Cards. And if really really in deep shit, call your boss.

And also after you are back, you are invited as a guest columnist at my blog wink.gif

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 15 2013, 01:39 AM
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 01:40 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 01:38 AM)
And don't forget, you still got your OCBC and MBB 2 Cards. And if really really in deep shit, call your boss.

And also after you are back, you are invited as a guest columnist at my blog  wink.gif
Yes, and I still have company's supplied Citibank corporate credit card as well. blush.gif
And the not in use Stan Chart (for their cash back sake). laugh.gif

laugh.gif Ok, if I'm not too lazy. Man, this thing is really forcing me to do a lot of research on cards. sweat.gif

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 15 2013, 01:41 AM
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 01:46 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 01:40 AM)
Yes, and I still have company's supplied Citibank corporate credit card as well. blush.gif

laugh.gif Ok, if I'm not too lazy. Man, this thing is really forcing me to do a lot of research on cards. sweat.gif
Sis, now that you mentioned you got Citibank corporate credit card, that means Citibank got your personal info in their system? If yes, I foresee that you opening the Citi Savings Account without any hassle.

Good luck and have fun in China.
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 01:52 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 01:46 AM)
Sis, now that you mentioned you got Citibank corporate credit card, that means Citibank got your personal info in their system? If yes, I foresee that you opening the Citi Savings Account without any hassle.

Good luck and have fun in China.
Yes, they have my information in their system and I'm also the Program Administrator for my company. smile.gif
Thanks a lot and sorry for nagging you for days for this issue. notworthy.gif
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 11:56 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 01:52 AM)
Yes, they have my information in their system and I'm also the Program Administrator for my company. smile.gif
Thanks a lot and sorry for nagging you for days for this issue. notworthy.gif
It is always a pleasure discussing stuff with another fellow kiasu bro/sis, better still if with a kiasi person, can learn more, haha. And I did learned a thing or two last two days from the above postings.
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 03:07 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 11:56 AM)
It is always a pleasure discussing stuff with another fellow kiasu bro/sis, better still if with a kiasi person, can learn more, haha. And I did learned a thing or two last two days from the above postings.
I learnt a lot as well. biggrin.gif
Just submitted my interest for Citibank savings account, I'm waiting for their officer to call me.
I don't think I have the time to visit them that soon, let's see what they can do for me over the phone. nod.gif
digilife
post Oct 15 2013, 03:11 PM

The MNP guy, its me yeah.
8,024 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 12:56 AM)

Ever heard of this before ?

CPP

All my cards , my wife's , my bro-in-law's and sis-in-law's are protected and its only rm118.00 per year.

Even our NRIC can be included. laugh.gif

You can have 4 users in one ac.

You are insured and protected for any misdeed by the person/s that stole/misuse you card.

Recommended by HSBC, and they have a local office in KL.

Anyone who want the KL contact no can PM me.

This post has been edited by digilife: Oct 15 2013, 03:11 PM
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 03:13 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(digilife @ Oct 15 2013, 03:11 PM)
Ever heard of this before ?

CPP

All my cards , my wife's , my bro-in-law's and sis-in-law's are protected and its only rm118.00 per year.

Even our NRIC can be included.  laugh.gif

You can have 4 users in one ac.

You are insured and protected for any misdeed by the person/s that stole/misuse you card.

Recommended by HSBC, and they have a local office in KL.

Anyone who want the KL contact no can PM me.
They offered me when I just got my Maybankard2Card.
But nah, not interested with this service. smile.gif

Just need more effort to cancel my card.
digilife
post Oct 15 2013, 03:26 PM

8,024 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 01:40 AM)

Does your CiTi cc have the 'PLUS' logo ?

My MB2U card and CiTi cc have them, I guess our local banks charge you rm5 for ATM withdraw overseas and 'Cirrus' charges rm15 for each transaction ?

Pls correct me if i am wrong.

smile.gif
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 03:30 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(digilife @ Oct 15 2013, 03:26 PM)
Does your CiTi cc have the 'PLUS' logo ?

My MB2U card and CiTi cc have them, I guess our local banks charge you rm5 for ATM withdraw overseas and 'Cirrus' charges rm15 for each transaction ?

Pls correct me if i am wrong.

smile.gif
I'll not use my credit card to withdraw money. smile.gif
digilife
post Oct 15 2013, 03:40 PM

8,024 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 03:30 PM)
I'll not use my credit card to withdraw money. smile.gif
Open CiTi Savings ac, then link that SA feature into the CiTi cc, thus save the hassle of carrying an extra card laugh.gif

Cause you have lots of camera equipment to carry too laugh.gif
MilesAndMore
post Oct 15 2013, 11:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

I can sense that somebody here is going to get the ICBC credit card tongue.gif
Hahaha. I'm only aiming to get the ICBC Unionpay debit card now. Their credit card seems useless to me as there is no rewards point or cash back. I actually have a Unionpay ATM card already which is issued by HSBC Hong Kong. Banks in Hong Kong just started to migrate from the magnetic stripe card to chip-based card last year and i got my replacement card late last year.

Then the personal banker asked me source of money,I was like huh? And you'll be surprised what he keyed in, too bad I am not disclosing it
Born rich laugh.gif

My wife also sign up for the CitiGold Account and for her Citibank accepted housewife when it came to the employment question. Not only that, Citi issued my wife the PremierMiles Visa Signature and has been offering to increase her CL recently when their records shows she is a housewife!!! After the 5% promo (3 months), I closed the CitiGold Accounts because I thought later if  Citi has a savings promo again I can be eligible for it after 6 months. But since then their promos are tied to investment plans so never sign up for CitiGold account again. And when I sign up for the CitiGold, I once again sign up for their Plat credit card and have been holding it since then (Citi very good to me, I wanted to cancel the Plat after a year because I did not like the 16 digit number and they issued me a new card with a different number, hahaha).
Man... Citibank really does like you and your family members very much!

And sifu Miles. I know this will interest you even tho it is OT. Only couple months bank Commonwealth Bank introduced the very first Cash Deposit Machine in Melbourne located at their new "teller-less" branch at QV. I tell you, Australia banks are like 10 years behind us. And I think they will never have the Cheque Deposit Machine like we do here because hardly anyone uses personal cheque in Australia. My younger cousins who have been working there for years don't have a cheque book, where as I an unemployed old timer has cheque book from Citibank.
LOL. They are way behind indeed! If an Aussie happens to walk into HSBC Mongkok HQ just to withdraw cash, he will be very surprised and probably confused too as there are 24 automated machines in HSBC Mongkok HQ on the lower ground level (10x ATM, 8x CDM and 6x ChequeDM) laugh.gif

And sifu Miles. I know this will interest you even tho it is OT.
Another proof that you know me well biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 12:31 AM)
My MBB Platinum Debit MasterCard has the Cirrus logo too. Can't remember what is my daily withdrawal limit.
It can be set at the maximum of RM5,000. I forgot what is the default withdrawal limit already though.

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 01:03 AM)
Pretty dangerous isn't it if I lost the card?
Maybe I will need to open a new Maybank savings account and just use it for debit card purpose.
QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 01:13 AM)
Then, I don't need to get a Maybank Debit Card yet since it is my main bank, I really don't want to risk it for unnecessary risky things. Just let it use for ATM and Giro purpose only.
You can actually disable the VISA purchase function through Maybank ATM. Mine for instance, has been disabled since i got mine from Day 1 smile.gif This way it'll be just like a normal ATM card. Even after you have disabled the VISA purchase function, all you need to make sure is that you have activated your card for overseas ATM usage over any Maybank ATM and you will be able to use the card to withdraw cash at overseas ATM.

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 01:10 AM)
QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 01:16 AM)
MBB is MasterCard so it should be Cirrus.
MBB issues both VISA debit card and debit MasterCard.

By the way, for major foreign banks, it is very easy to open an account at Standard Chartered. So if Citibank is a no then may be you'll want to try Standard Chartered next smile.gif

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 03:07 PM)
I learnt a lot as well. biggrin.gif
Just submitted my interest for Citibank savings account, I'm waiting for their officer to call me.
I don't think I have the time to visit them that soon, let's see what they can do for me over the phone. nod.gif
Keep us updated and good luck biggrin.gif
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 11:30 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 15 2013, 11:26 PM)
You can actually disable the VISA purchase function through Maybank ATM. Mine for instance, has been disabled since i got mine from Day 1  smile.gif    This way it'll be just like a normal ATM card. Even after you have disabled the VISA purchase function, all you need to make sure is that you have activated your card for overseas ATM usage over any Maybank ATM and you will be able to use the card to withdraw cash at overseas ATM.

By the way, for major foreign banks, it is very easy to open an account at Standard Chartered. So if Citibank is a no then may be you'll want to try Standard Chartered next  smile.gif
Keep us updated and good luck  biggrin.gif
Thanks. smile.gif If that's the case I will get Maybank Debit Card with Cirrus logo and disable purchase function. smile.gif
I just want for ATM purpose. smile.gif

laugh.gif Should have opened one in Stan Chart yesterday, it is just opposite of the arrogant HSBC in Seremban. biggrin.gif

Will update here. smile.gif
fruitie
post Oct 18 2013, 05:03 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

Gen-X and MilesAndMore, I just came back from ICBC KL... Struck with series of unfortunate events again.

The chronicles:
1) I called their CS (half an hour) before went over to their KL branch and was told to open a basic savings account only needs RM 20.
2) I reached there, the bank officers told me I will need RM 500 to open one. doh.gif RM 20 is super basic that cannot be used in overseas. Quickly went over to Affin Bank ATM to withdraw money.
3) Managed to open ICBC account and I asked about the transactions fees if I withdraw using their ATMs in China. It costs a whopping RMB 25 per transaction! shocking.gif mad.gif
4) Gulps. Still I will need one local bank account, I have no choice but to accept. Asked about GIRO from Maybank2U, can perform but to MYR bank account. Then, I will need to login to ICBC Online to convert MYR to RMB and put into my ICBC RMB account.
5) The RM 500 I used to open account just now was converted to RMB already but only RM 490 as RM 10 is the minimum I need to retain in MYR account. Luckily today's rate is not too bad...
6) They gave me a manual how to register online personal banking account together with USB cable and TAC token. Apparently, I will need to install some certificates in my computers. sweat.gif
7) So now, I have the debit card and passbook.
8) Came back to office and asked my finance team, they said company will compensate the RMB 25 back to me. I just need to inform my boss about this and I can get back all the service charges that I will be charged... Still not too bad, luckily. laugh.gif

Then, I looked at my watch, still early... I decided to just walk-in to Menara Citibank to check out their savings account. I didn't bring any documents except for my I.C. tongue.gif However, the officer said their system is down today and I will need to bring other documents (payslip and employment confirmation letter) in next week. She confirmed I'll only need RM 20 to open one and can get immediately.

OK, part 2 next week. laugh.gif
digilife
post Oct 18 2013, 05:44 PM

8,024 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 18 2013, 05:03 PM)
Gen-X and MilesAndMore, I just came back from ICBC KL... Struck with series of unfortunate events again.

The chronicles:
1) I called their CS (half an hour) before went over to their KL branch and was told to open a basic savings account only needs RM 20.
2) I reached there, the bank officers told me I will need RM 500 to open one. doh.gif RM 20 is super basic that cannot be used in overseas. Quickly went over to Affin Bank ATM to withdraw money.
3) Managed to open ICBC account and I asked about the transactions fees  if I withdraw using their ATMs in China. It costs a whopping RMB 25 per transaction! shocking.gif mad.gif
4) Gulps. Still I will need one local bank account, I have no choice but to accept. Asked about GIRO from Maybank2U, can perform but to MYR bank account. Then, I will need to login to ICBC Online to convert MYR to RMB and put into my ICBC RMB account.
5) The RM 500 I used to open account just now was converted to RMB already but only RM 490 as RM 10 is the minimum I need to retain in MYR account. Luckily today's rate is not too bad...
6) They gave me a manual how to register online personal banking account together with USB cable and TAC token. Apparently, I will need to install some certificates in my computers. sweat.gif
8) Came back to office and asked my finance team, they said company will compensate the RMB 25 back to me. I just need to inform my boss about this and I can get back all the service charges that I will be charged... Still not too bad, luckily. laugh.gif

Then, I looked at my watch, still early... I decided to just walk-in to Menara Citibank to check out their savings account. I didn't bring any documents except for my I.C. tongue.gif However, the officer said their system is down today and I will need to bring other documents (payslip and employment confirmation letter) in next week. She confirmed I'll only need RM 20 to open one and can get immediately.

RMB25 per transaction = abt rm10

hmm.gif

A HSBC card is still the "cheapest option"

Do HSBC accept an FD of rm5000 Deposit on a 30days tenure to open an Advance Chequering ac ?

You should have spoken to the floor manager that day. I believe if you have spoken to the right person, things would have been different. Btw, you went first floor general banking to enquire to open your ac or at the ground floor banking lounge ?

fruitie
post Oct 18 2013, 05:56 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(digilife @ Oct 18 2013, 05:44 PM)
RMB25 per transaction = abt rm10

hmm.gif

A HSBC card is still the "cheapest option"

Do HSBC accept an FD of rm5000 Deposit on a 30days tenure to open an Advance Chequering ac ?

You should have spoken to the floor manager that day. I believe if you have spoken to the right person, things would have been different. Btw, you went first floor general banking to enquire to open your ac or at the ground floor banking lounge ?
RM 13 actually.
I don't bother about HSBC anymore. Don't keep promoting them la. sweat.gif
They are not the only international bank and Citbank is much better than them in term of overseas transfers.
I checked with my colleagues that HSBC ATM is not anywhere nearby our office and I will need to take subway just to withdraw money. sweat.gif

But that's not a problem for me because I can get back the money eventually. whistling.gif
Now I will prioritize Citibank withdrawal in China (though they are not popular) or worse comes to worst, I will still go for ICBC since I will be compensated with the transaction charges. smile.gif

Oh ya, my colleagues shared that there is an ICBC ATM in our office building. Convenience wise ICBC wins. smile.gif

Anyway, that RMB 25 is what the officer said, not sure true or not until I'm there. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 18 2013, 06:01 PM
digilife
post Oct 18 2013, 06:22 PM

8,024 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 18 2013, 05:56 PM)
RM 13 actually.
I don't bother about HSBC anymore. Don't keep promoting them la. sweat.gif
They are not the only international bank and Citbank is much better than them in term of overseas transfers.
I checked with my colleagues that HSBC ATM is not anywhere nearby our office and I will need to take subway just to withdraw money. sweat.gif

But that's not a problem for me because I can get back the money eventually. whistling.gif
Now I will prioritize Citibank withdrawal in China (though they are not popular) or worse comes to worst, I will still go for ICBC since I will be compensated with the transaction charges. smile.gif

Oh ya, my colleagues shared that there is an ICBC ATM in our office building. Convenience wise ICBC wins. smile.gif

Anyway, that RMB 25 is what the officer said, not sure true or not until I'm there. laugh.gif
I dun work for HSBC and I am not promoting them.

icon_rolleyes.gif

I have both Citi and HSBC accounts.

Abt ICBC, I am not sure, but a China Bank, sweat.gif

You would knoe the difference till you are actually using them.

I am waiting for your review when you have landed there and used them.

notworthy.gif

fruitie
post Oct 18 2013, 06:55 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(digilife @ Oct 18 2013, 06:22 PM)
I dun work for HSBC and I am not promoting them.

icon_rolleyes.gif

I have both Citi and HSBC accounts.

Abt ICBC, I am not sure, but a China Bank,  sweat.gif
You would knoe the difference till you are actually using them.

I am waiting for your review when you have landed there and used them.

notworthy.gif
Read more about ICBC if you are unsure. Don't look down at this bank, one of the richest banks in the world.
digilife
post Oct 18 2013, 08:22 PM

8,024 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 18 2013, 06:55 PM)
Read more about ICBC if you are unsure. Don't look down at this bank, one of the richest banks in the world.
Tell me which is Malaysia's richest bank ?

Riches doesn't mean they provide the best in Service.

China's bank mentality is doh.gif

I wont care how "poor" is the bank that i use, as long they can provide what i need [not money lending] , that is it that I want

I have closed my accounts with CIMB and RHB mainly because they dun give me the service that I want. HLBB will be the next to be axed because their CSO and system sucks.

We are "lending" then [ deposit ] money and yet they want to lansi with us.

I mainly use MBB because most of my peers/users are using it.

I also maintain accounts with HSBC,StanChart and CiTi Bank currently.

Maybe one day, i should try Bank Islam, Afin Bank and ICBC

wink.gif

This post has been edited by digilife: Oct 18 2013, 08:24 PM
fruitie
post Oct 18 2013, 08:43 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

Gen-X how to know if the debit card can be used for cash withdrawal? Does it have anything that shows it can? Normal ATM cards have MEPS and etc. All I can see from this card has Debit Card wording and UnionPay logo. The officer said I can withdraw money and I signed a lot of documents, one of them did mention "Cirrus". Hmm. Now just checked back on my card no such logo.
Gen-X
post Oct 18 2013, 10:55 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 15 2013, 11:26 PM)
Born rich   laugh.gif
Man... Citibank really does like you and your family members very much! 

there are 24 automated machines in HSBC Mongkok HQ on the lower ground level (10x ATM, 8x CDM and 6x ChequeDM)

Another proof that you know me well 

You can actually disable the VISA purchase function through Maybank ATM. Mine for instance, has been disabled since i got mine from Day 1   smile.gif    This way it'll be just like a normal ATM card. Even after you have disabled the VISA purchase function, all you need to make sure is that you have activated your card for overseas ATM usage over any Maybank ATM and you will be able to use the card to withdraw cash at overseas ATM.

hahaha, next time I use the "born rich" thingy when people ask me source of my fund.

24 ATM!!! I also will be blur, hahaha

Not only Citi likes me, all the banks I go the people (tellers and officers) are good to me because I nice guy and I bodek (nice hair, nice nails, leng chai, etc) them, hahaha. My Citi Personal Banker better still, he go get coffee from CitiGold hall for me and we smoke together, hahaha

You my sifu sure lah I know you well.

And as for the MBB ATM can disable the Visa function, see, I learned another thing from you smile.gif

The chronicles:
3) Managed to open ICBC account and I asked about the transactions fees  if I withdraw using their ATMs in China. It costs a whopping RMB 25 per transaction! shocking.gif mad.gif
8) Came back to office and asked my finance team, they said company will compensate the RMB 25 back to me. I just need to inform my boss about this and I can get back all the service charges that I will be charged... Still not too bad, luckily.

Thank you for reporting, I shall keep track of your progress and if you don't mind, I shall narrate your "story" of hunting for a card to withdraw cash in China in my blog, I am sure I can come out with a freaking long article to benefit others, hahaha

What company you working for that they so kind to reimburse you RMB25, I need a job and your company sounds like the place to be, haha

Actually, most cards have fees. If the card does not have fees, it means there are other "hidden" charges like overseas conversion admin fee like credit cards. Like I mentioned earlier, when I withdraw cash with my UOB debit card in US, the conversion rate was spot rate but they charge me RM12 per withdrawal. As for Citibank, suppose not to have fee when I withdraw at their ATMs but I was charged RM10 in Melbourne and not only that, in my article Melbourne Victoria Australia, I showed you that the conversion rate using my Citibank Debit Card at Citibank ATM was higher than using Global Transfer (i.e. from my Citi Malaysia Savings Acct to Citi Australia Bank Acct).

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 18 2013, 08:43 PM)
Gen-X how to know if the debit card can be used for cash withdrawal? Does it have anything that shows it can? Normal ATM cards have MEPS and etc. All I can see from this card has Debit Card wording and UnionPay logo. The officer said I can withdraw money and I signed a lot of documents, one of them did mention "Cirrus". Hmm. Now just checked back on my card no such logo.
Yes, as long as the ATM machine has Union Pay logo, you can go use your new Union Pay card to withdraw cash. Some outlets and Chinese restaurants in Malaysia also accept UnionPay where you can use your card.

Look behind your Visa Debit Card, if it has the PLUS logo then you can go to anywhere on earth to withdraw money from ATM with PLUS logo. For MasterCard Debit Card it is the Cirrus logo. Next time you walk past ATM machines, keep a look out for the UnionPay, PLUS and Cirrus logos.

Our credit cards also has the PLUS and Cirrus logo. I just check, my OCBC Titanium MasterCard and HLB Plat MasterCard no Cirrus logo, haha. But my CIMB WMC has it. All my Visa credit cards have the PLUS logo. But you and I know that it is not smart to go withdraw cash with our credit cards wink.gif

But you better ask my sifu Miles, he expert in getting cash around the world.

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 18 2013, 11:21 PM
fruitie
post Oct 18 2013, 11:47 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 18 2013, 10:55 PM)
Thank you for reporting, I shall keep track of your progress and if you don't mind, I shall narrate your "story" of hunting for a card to withdraw cash in China in my blog, I am sure I can come out with a freaking long article to benefit others, hahaha

What company you working for that they so kind to reimburse you RMB25, I need a job and your company sounds like the place to be, haha

Actually, most cards have fees. If the card does not have fees, it means there are other "hidden" charges like overseas conversion admin fee like credit cards. Like I mentioned earlier, when I withdraw cash with my UOB debit card in US, the conversion rate was spot rate but they charge me RM12 per withdrawal. As for Citibank, suppose not to have fee when I withdraw at their ATMs but I was charged RM10 in Melbourne and not only that, in my article Melbourne Victoria Australia, I showed you that the conversion rate using my Citibank Debit Card at Citibank ATM was higher than using Global Transfer (i.e. from my Citi Malaysia Savings Acct to Citi Australia Bank Acct).
Yes, as long as the ATM machine has Union Pay logo, you can go use your new Union Pay card to withdraw cash. Some outlets and Chinese restaurants in Malaysia also accept UnionPay where you can use your card.

Look behind your Visa Debit Card, if it has the PLUS logo then you can go to anywhere on earth to withdraw money from ATM with PLUS logo.  For MasterCard Debit Card it is the Cirrus logo. Next time you walk past ATM machines, keep a look out for the UnionPay, PLUS and Cirrus logos.

Our credit cards also has the PLUS and Cirrus logo. I just check, my OCBC Titanium MasterCard and HLB Plat MasterCard no Cirrus logo, haha. But my CIMB WMC has it. All my Visa credit cards have the PLUS logo. But you and I know that it is not smart to go withdraw cash with our credit cards  wink.gif

Sure, go ahead and do a summary. This is just the beginning of my nightmare and luckily I'm still in Malaysia. God knows what will happen to me when I'm there. laugh.gif Chapter 1 in Malaysia and Chapter 2 a.k.a. finale in China. laugh.gif

Yeah la, I'm going for business trips not some leisure trips though it is impossible to track the cash withdrawal is for my own usage or business expenses. I was honest with the finance team. laugh.gif Luckily my Finance team has really nice people, they said they won't further drill in so long my boss approves this part. So, I will talk to my boss and I see no problem in this case. 100% he will agree to absorb this cost to his cost centre. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the heads-up, so I can safely say mine comes with ATM feature though it doesn't have Cirrus logo. The card's quality felt cheapskate in my hands though. laugh.gif

OK, just had another part 1.1 nightmare. Their e-banking! I already installed the token into my laptop and all my browsers are too advanced for their service. Chrome and FF were few versions behind mine. sweat.gif I tried IE and it works, luckily. Mine is IE9 but they actually recommended IE 6-8. I was like WHAT?! But at least it can login not like Chrome an FF which I can't proceed at all.

Happily keyed in my card no. and the logon password which I set at the counter this afternoon and some verification code, bam! "Your card or a/c is not registered for this service." Keyed in the God-damn-long 19-digit of account number and same error. Luckily I can change to my preferred user name later rather than remembering so many numbers in my head. If I cannot login that means I still cannot install all the necessary certs.

Called their CS (she was polite but I was really angry, I felt sorry for her now because I really threw my temper to her lol), she said could be my card hasn't registered yet for e-banking. I nearly fainted when I heard that because she asked me to go back to ICBC KL which I refused and insisted this to be fixed over the phone. However, once she knew that I have the token with me, that means ICBC KL knows that I will need e-banking and they will definitely register for me (sounds logical). She asked me to wait till tomorrow to try again. To be honest, deep in my heart I know this is not going to be fixed on tomorrow as well. I had no choice but to accept her suggestion. So, another foreseeable part 1.2 nightmare tomorrow. Stay tuned.
fruitie
post Oct 19 2013, 12:12 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 14 2013, 10:45 PM)
Did you by any chance ask them if you can deposit RMB in cash into your RMB account here in Malaysia ? Because if you can, then you can save even more as you can just buy RMB from money changer and deposit the money into your RMB account in ICBC Malaysia.
I asked this and it is not possible, can only deposit MYR here in Malaysia but can use their e-banking service to convert to RMB which is still not too bad in term of convenience.

By the way, I'll get a Citibank debit card and change my current Maybank yellow-black ATM card to Maybank Debit Card (only for ATM feature, will ask Maybank to disable purchase feature).
Being the usual kiasu/i me, I will have UnionPay (ICBC), Plus (Citibank) and Cirrus (Maybank) with this combination.

That means I will still need to settle another thing which is to change my Maybank ATM card. laugh.gif But luckily there is one branch opposite of my office, easily accessible, hopefully they will disable purchase (debit) feature for me and have the Superman card. laugh.gif

I'll go to Citibank next week to sort this thing out. nod.gif

Anyway, despite all the hassles but I really learnt a lot and it has greatly taught me what patience really means to me. laugh.gif I still believe that everything will be fine very soon. nod.gif

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 19 2013, 12:15 AM
Gen-X
post Oct 19 2013, 12:42 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 18 2013, 11:47 PM)
Sure, go ahead and do a summary. This is just the beginning of my nightmare and luckily I'm still in Malaysia. God knows what will happen to me when I'm there. laugh.gif Chapter 1 in Malaysia and Chapter 2 a.k.a. finale in China. laugh.gif

Yeah la, I'm going for business trips not some leisure trips though it is impossible to track the cash withdrawal is for my own usage or business expenses. I was honest with the finance team. laugh.gif Luckily my Finance team has really nice people, they said they won't further drill in so long my boss approves this part. So, I will talk to my boss and I see no problem in this case. 100% he will agree to absorb this cost to his cost centre. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the heads-up, so I can safely say mine comes with ATM feature though it doesn't have Cirrus logo. The card's quality felt cheapskate in my hands though. laugh.gif

OK, just had another part 1.1 nightmare. Their e-banking! I already installed the token into my laptop and all my browsers are too advanced for their service. Chrome and FF were few versions behind mine. sweat.gif I tried IE and it works, luckily. Mine is IE9 but they actually recommended IE 6-8. I was like WHAT?! But at least it can login not like Chrome an FF which I can't proceed at all.

Happily keyed in my card no. and the logon password which I set at the counter this afternoon and some verification code, bam! "Your card or a/c is not registered for this service." Keyed in the God-damn-long 19-digit of account number and same error. Luckily I can change to my preferred user name later rather than remembering so many numbers in my head. If I cannot login that means I still cannot install all the necessary certs.

Called their CS (she was polite but I was really angry, I felt sorry for her now because I really threw my temper to her lol), she said could be my card hasn't registered yet for e-banking. I nearly fainted when I heard that because she asked me to go back to ICBC KL which I refused and insisted this to be fixed over the phone. However, once she knew that I have the token with me, that means ICBC KL knows that I will need e-banking and they will definitely register for me (sounds logical). She asked me to wait till tomorrow to try again. To be honest, deep in my heart I know this is not going to be fixed on tomorrow as well. I had no choice but to accept her suggestion. So, another foreseeable part 1.2 nightmare tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Fix tomorrow? ICBC staff at the branch you open account working? haha.

And thank you for the permission to tell your story/nightmare to the world biggrin.gif I will stress that HSBC is blackmailing people into getting their insurance plan or investment plan in order to open their regular savings account, hahahaha.

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 19 2013, 12:12 AM)
Anyway, despite all the hassles but I really learnt a lot and it has greatly taught me what patience really means to me. laugh.gif I still believe that everything will be fine very soon. nod.gif
Everything better work out fine after all the trouble I spent typing here, hahahaha

And knowing now that you a kiasu person like me, I going to make you worry - It is the universal law called Murphy's Law which has been proven time and time again that this law follows kiasu people wherever they go:

Anything that can possibly go wrong, does. If anything can go wrong, it will.

Sometimes shit happens, so I guess you better bring along cash in RMB currency equivalent to just below USD10K (or else you need to declare to our customs when you depart). Better also check on China part how much cash you can bring in.

And make sure you got your boss home, mobile, spouse/partner contact number so that you can reach him/her 24/7 smile.gif

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 19 2013, 12:44 AM
fruitie
post Oct 19 2013, 01:06 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 19 2013, 12:42 AM)
Fix tomorrow? ICBC staff at the branch you open account working? haha.

And thank you for the permission to tell your story/nightmare to the world  biggrin.gif I will stress that HSBC is blackmailing people into getting their insurance plan or investment plan in order to open their regular savings account, hahahaha.
Everything better work out fine after all the trouble I spent typing here, hahahaha

And knowing now that you a kiasu person like me, I going to make you worry - It is the universal law called Murphy's Law which has been proven time and time again that this law follows kiasu people wherever they go:

Anything that can possibly go wrong, does. If anything can go wrong, it will.

Sometimes shit happens, so I guess you better bring along cash in RMB currency equivalent to just below USD10K (or else you need to declare to our customs when you depart). Better also check on China part how much cash you can bring in.

And make sure you got your boss home, mobile, spouse/partner contact number so that you can reach him/her 24/7  smile.gif
Exactly, that's why I know it won't be fixed tomorrow. laugh.gif But pity her la, I really scolded her which I feel extremely bad now. cry.gif She kept on apologizing but I never listened... I must salute those people who choose to be a CS. Not easy at all, if they have 10 customers like me everyday, I think they need to go for anger management or depression management class... sweat.gif

Go ahead with the HSBC because I'm still very disappointed with the fact they forced their potential customers to invest into their education and insurance plan. I'm not sure if this applies to all HSBC branches but at least I encountered this in Seremban branch.

I have that all the time! Didn't I say that I will foresee more issues in my earlier posts? Yes, they really happened and are still happening now. I only have exactly one more month before I fly and I still have so many things that need to settle but I still can't get my banking issue sorted yet. sweat.gif

I'm not that cash rich to bring so much there but knowing the fact that most of my expenses are paid by the company, so I don't really need to bring a big lump sum of money along with me. laugh.gif

I'll not call him because he can't save me out while he is here and I'm there. laugh.gif A manager in China is appointed to be my host manager, so she will be my contact person in case I face with any difficulties in China. nod.gif

Still, I believe everything will be fine soon. Concurrently, I will need to start preparing for other things...

MilesAndMore
post Oct 20 2013, 09:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

Wah! Quite expensive indeed! That's about the same as withdrawing through Cirrus or PLUS network. But at least you are free from the currency exchange fluctuation risk as your ICBC account is already a RMB account. Shame on the part you can't make deposit in RMB cash to your RMB account at ICBC Malaysia though.

Can post a picture of the ICBC Unionpay debit card ? You know lah... card collectors like us like seeing this kind of stuff laugh.gif

QUOTE(digilife @ Oct 18 2013, 06:22 PM)
Abt ICBC, I am not sure, but a China Bank,  sweat.gif
ICBC is not your average China Bank. It is the
- most profitable bank in the world for a few years already
- largest bank in the world by assets
- largest bank in the world by market capitalization
- second largest bank in China by branch presence

QUOTE(digilife @ Oct 18 2013, 08:22 PM)
Tell me which is Malaysia's richest bank ?

Riches doesn't mean they provide the best in Service.

China's bank mentality is  doh.gif

I wont care how "poor" is the bank that i use, as long they can provide what i need [not money lending] , that is it that I want
With so many basic banking things can be done online or through automated teller machines, there is less need to go to an actual branch these days.

Maybank has got to be one of the most hated banks in Malaysia. However, many people still use it for general transaction banking due to the wide availability of ATM. This is a good reason why anyone living in China would prefer to have a bank account in one of the largest Chinese banks. It's all about convenience really.

Not only Citi likes me, all the banks I go the people (tellers and officers) are good to me because I nice guy and I bodek (nice hair, nice nails, leng chai, etc) them, hahaha. My Citi Personal Banker better still, he go get coffee from CitiGold hall for me and we smoke together, hahaha
I do not know who your Citi Personal Banker is but from what you said here, i can be certain that he is a guy which good 'ngan kwong' (cantonese). He knows your financial background already and while you may never buy any Citi products from him, he knows that he must treat you well because you must know many rich people and you can put in good words for him and you may introduce him to your friends. Wah, this Citi Personal Banker definitely has a bright future thumbup.gif

Not really lah. I have done it a few times only and i have done it only at those banks/places i do not have to pay any fee such as Maybank (in Singapore), HSBC (in Hong Kong, Beijing etc.). I am the kind of people who is not willing to pay any overseas ATM cash withdrawal fee laugh.gif Three years ago i texted my dad from Singapore asking him to deposit money to my HSBC Malaysia account as i was running out of cash in Singapore. At that time i only had my HSBC MY ATM card and also Maybank VISA debit card. I do have money in my Maybank account but the thing is, Maybank hadn't started to offer free overseas ATM cash withdrawal to us Malaysian Maybank account holder at their overseas ATM in 2010. Anyway, my dad happened to be somewhere near to HSBC Jalan Ipoh branch when he received my text. So it wasn't too troublesome for him also lah biggrin.gif

Actually, most cards have fees. If the card does not have fees, it means there are other "hidden" charges like overseas conversion admin fee like credit cards.
Yeah unfortunately that is true. When i withdrew a few hundred RMB through an HSBC off-site ATM in Beijing using my HSBC Malaysia ATM card, there was this message on the HSBC China ATM screen saying that HSBC China will charge me 1% (or 1.25% fee??). But since the amount i withdrew wasn't big, it was still a lot cheaper than to pay RM10 to RM12 if i were to withdraw the money through Cirrus or PLUS network.

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 19 2013, 12:12 AM)
change my current Maybank yellow-black ATM card to Maybank Debit Card (only for ATM feature, will ask Maybank to disable purchase feature).

That means I will still need to settle another thing which is to change my Maybank ATM card. laugh.gif But luckily there is one branch opposite of my office, easily accessible, hopefully they will disable purchase (debit) feature for me and have the Superman card. laugh.gif
I must say that many Maybank employees do not know their own bank's products well. So just in case they show you a blank face about disabling the purchase function of your VISA debit card, you can do it yourself via the Maybank ATM.

This post has been edited by MilesAndMore: Oct 20 2013, 09:24 PM
fruitie
post Oct 20 2013, 09:31 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 20 2013, 09:23 PM)
Wah! Quite expensive indeed! That's about the same as withdrawing through Cirrus or PLUS network. But at least you are free from the currency exchange fluctuation risk as your ICBC account is already a RMB account. Shame on the part you can't make deposit in RMB cash to your RMB account at ICBC Malaysia though.

Can post a picture of the ICBC Unionpay debit card ? You know lah... card collectors like us like seeing this kind of stuff   laugh.gif

I must say that many Maybank employees do not know their own bank's products well. So just in case they show you a blank face about disabling the purchase function of your VISA debit card, you can do it yourself via the Maybank ATM.
It is expensive! Got a shock. laugh.gif
Yeah, that can be only done via their e-banking which I'm still struggling on that part. laugh.gif

Nothing special, looks exactly like its website. Feel cheap though. laugh.gif
user posted image
Only UnionPay logo. laugh.gif

Mind to let me know how to disable that via Maybank ATM in case I really meet some non-knowledgeable staffs? notworthy.gif

By the way, is it normal for this UnionPay card not to have any CVV? Or CVV doesn't apply for debit cards?
Gen-X

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 20 2013, 09:35 PM
MilesAndMore
post Oct 20 2013, 09:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 20 2013, 09:31 PM)
Mind to let me know how to disable that via Maybank ATM in case I really meet some non-knowledgeable staffs? notworthy.gif
Aiks, i forgot the steps already... sweat.gif

fruitie
post Oct 20 2013, 09:51 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 20 2013, 09:46 PM)
Aiks, i forgot the steps already...  sweat.gif
It's OK, will explore when the ATM is empty. laugh.gif
Hopefully they can accommodate into my requests from the counter. tongue.gif

By the way, I asked this question earlier: "Is it normal for this UnionPay card not to have any CVV? Or CVV doesn't apply for debit cards?"
MilesAndMore
post Oct 20 2013, 10:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 20 2013, 09:51 PM)
It's OK, will explore when the ATM is empty. laugh.gif
Hopefully they can accommodate into my requests from the counter. tongue.gif

By the way, I asked this question earlier: "Is it normal for this UnionPay card not to have any CVV? Or CVV doesn't apply for debit cards?"
I just checked my HSBC Hong Kong Unionpay ATM card and it doesn't have a CVV. But then that is just a normal ATM card under the Unionpay network.

fruitie
post Oct 20 2013, 10:04 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 20 2013, 10:02 PM)
I just checked my HSBC Hong Kong Unionpay ATM card and it doesn't have a CVV. But then that is just a normal ATM card under the Unionpay network.
laugh.gif And this card does have the wording "Debit Card" printed on it. laugh.gif
Omai, ICBC is really giving me a headache. sweat.gif
Gen-X
post Oct 21 2013, 12:01 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 20 2013, 09:23 PM)
Maybank has got to be one of the most hated banks in Malaysia. However, many people still use it for general transaction banking due to the wide availability of ATM.

I do not know who your Citi Personal Banker is but from what you said here, i can be certain that he is a guy which good 'ngan kwong' (cantonese). He knows your financial background already and while you may never buy any Citi products from him, he knows that he must treat you well because you must know many rich people and you can put in good words for him and you may introduce him to your friends. Wah, this Citi Personal Banker definitely has a bright future  thumbup.gif

Yeah unfortunately that is true. When i withdrew a few hundred RMB through an HSBC off-site ATM in Beijing using my HSBC Malaysia ATM card, there was this message on the HSBC China ATM screen saying that HSBC China will charge me 1% (or 1.25% fee??). But since the amount i withdrew wasn't big, it was still a lot cheaper than to pay RM10 to RM12 if i were to withdraw the money through Cirrus or PLUS network.

Who says MBB is the most hated bank in Malaysia? As far as I am concerned, it is the best and most generous bank in Malaysia because I get the most returns from them whenever I use their FREE credit cards tongue.gif

With Automated machines and eBanking, I have not seen my Citi Personal Banker for months... no idea if he is still there or promoted. hahaha

Yah small amount 1% okay, but small amount RM12 per withdrawal imposed by UOB debit card is high! That's why I dislike my UOB, can only withdraw RM1K per day.

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 20 2013, 09:31 PM)
By the way, is it normal for this UnionPay card not to have any CVV? Or CVV doesn't apply for debit cards?
Gen-X
haha, you asking me about UnionPay? I got no clues on it. Now you the expert on UnionPay Debit Card and ICBC eBanking in LYN tongue.gif

I was in Orchard ION again couple days ago, and they have UnionPay VIP lounge at the ground floor. I wonder how I can get UnionPay VIP as it beats me walking to UOB Orchard Road to get a free snack and drink at the Privilege Banking Hall.

Sifu MilesAndMore, watch out for my upcoming article titled China Mission and Armed with Debit Card for Cash Withdrawal in couple days time. It's my first action thriller article in format similar to 24 HOURS and it's a true story based on postings here smile.gif
fruitie
post Oct 26 2013, 09:06 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

Gen-X, the level of ICBC service really pisses me off. Until today my e-banking issue is not solved and I was busy for the whole week, hence no time to follow up until today. I demanded them to call me back by next Tuesday to get this fixed, alternatively they asked me to call KL branch myself. doh.gif doh.gif

If this continues, I will not bother with their e-banking service which sadly to say I only have that RM 490.00 to withdraw there. doh.gif

I'm going for International bank now and I'm going on leave soon (yeah again) for a week, from 4th to 8th November. So, I will open a personal account with Stan Chart since I confirm it has a branch in my hometown, seen that since I was 4-5 years old. laugh.gif

I already called SCB to check out the requirements and the guy suggested me to apply for JustOne Personal Account: http://www.standardchartered.com.my/save/s...e-personal.html

Apparently only needed RM 20.00 to open one and no other income documents are needed. I have just applied one using online, somebody will call me in 3 working days. I have put in my preferred branch is in Port Dickson.

Worse comes to worst, I'll just walk in to SCB myself.

Below are the details I have checked:
1) Each overseas withdrawal will cost RM 12.00 for transaction fees
2) I will be issued with debit card that allows me to transact in Cirrus and Maestro networks.

With just RM 12.00 (I hope no more additional), I think I'm better off to withdraw using international bank. sleep.gif

I don't have time to visit Citibank unfortunately, looks like SCB is a better choice for me. Hopefully no hiccup there.

Next up, changing my old Maybank ATM card to new debit card that allows me to withdraw using Plus network.
MilesAndMore
post Oct 26 2013, 09:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 21 2013, 12:01 AM)
Who says MBB is the most hated bank in Malaysia?
Many people hate them for their slow counter service and badly managed ATM. Or so i heard from those i know biggrin.gif

As far as I am concerned, it is the best and most generous bank in Malaysia because I get the most returns from them whenever I use their FREE credit cards  tongue.gif
Well, true also tongue.gif

Sifu MilesAndMore, watch out for my upcoming article titled China Mission and Armed with Debit Card for Cash Withdrawal in couple days time. It's my first action thriller article in format similar to 24 HOURS and it's a true story based on postings here  smile.gif
I saw that you posted that a few days ago. Haven't had the time to read it yet sweat.gif

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 26 2013, 09:06 PM)
I already called SCB to check out the requirements and the guy suggested me to apply for JustOne Personal Account: http://www.standardchartered.com.my/save/s...e-personal.html

Apparently only needed RM 20.00 to open one and no other income documents are needed. I have just applied one using online, somebody will call me in 3 working days. I have put in my preferred branch is in Port Dickson.
Standard Chartered Bank has been heavily promoting this account since last year. And there is no minimum deposit to open this account actually. This account comes with many benefits, so make sure you go through its T&C as it may benefits you greatly.

I don't have time to visit Citibank unfortunately, looks like SCB is a better choice for me. Hopefully no hiccup there.
I'm fairly positive you won't face any problem to open a savings account at Standard Chartered Bank.

Next up, changing my old Maybank ATM card to new debit card that allows me to withdraw using Plus network.
You need to pay RM12 to change it, just to let you know.
fruitie
post Oct 26 2013, 09:41 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 26 2013, 09:28 PM)
Standard Chartered Bank has been heavily promoting this account since last year. And there is no minimum deposit to open this account actually. This account comes with many benefits, so make sure you go through its T&C as it may benefits you greatly.
I'm fairly positive you won't face any problem to open a savings account at Standard Chartered Bank.
You need to pay RM12 to change it, just to let you know.
Yeah, the CS told me this account is good and better open their JustOne account. I was convinced and already submitted my online application, let's see how it goes. biggrin.gif

Ya, I'm holding SCB CC as well, I really think I'm pretty OK this round. biggrin.gif

Got it, I have asked the same thing from Maybank CS as well. Friendly people. wub.gif
Unfortunately, she said Superman and Manchester United debit card may already finish, so I will need to walk in to the nearest branch myself. Cherry card is widely available. doh.gif

The findings for Maybank Debit:
1) Can set my purchasing limit to 0, so this indirectly disables my debit purchase.
2) RM 12.00 per overseas withdrawal
3) PLUS or Cirrus
4) Need to inform branch officer to tie back to my existing savings account(s).
5) Also need to inform them to activate my overseas ATM withdrawal facility
6) Need them to tie back to my current existing M2U

I think my Monday's schedule is pretty OK, no meetings from noon onwards, I will pay visit to KL Sentral branch which is just across my office building. biggrin.gif
MilesAndMore
post Oct 26 2013, 09:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 26 2013, 09:41 PM)
Unfortunately, she said Superman and Manchester United debit card may already finish, so I will need to walk in to the nearest branch myself. Cherry card is widely available. doh.gif
Aiya! I was thinking to get the Superman VISA debit card too but kept postponing it doh.gif

1) Can set my purchasing limit to 0, so this indirectly disables my debit purchase.
Yeah, i think this is how you do it. All i remember is that you can disable it but i couldn't recall the exact steps to do it on their ATM biggrin.gif

3) PLUS or Cirrus
Yes. If they issue you the Cherry VISA, it will be on PLUS network. If it is the Cherry MasterCard Platinum, it will be on Cirrus network.

Well, all the best to you thumbup.gif
fruitie
post Oct 26 2013, 09:51 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 26 2013, 09:47 PM)
Aiya! I was thinking to get the Superman VISA debit card too but kept postponing it   doh.gif
Yeah, i think this is how you do it. All i remember is that you can disable it but i couldn't recall the exact steps to do it on their ATM   biggrin.gif
Yes. If they issue you the Cherry VISA, it will be on PLUS network. If it is the Cherry MasterCard Platinum, it will be on Cirrus network.

Well, all the best to you   thumbup.gif
But they still advertise those cards in their page, so she said she can't confirm herself. I'll need to walk in to check out. laugh.gif
I will ask the officer how to do that, best if he can do for for me, to make it 0. biggrin.gif

I don't want Cherry card actually. tongue.gif

Sure. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 26 2013, 09:52 PM
Gen-X
post Oct 26 2013, 10:15 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

Gen-X, the level of ICBC service really pisses me off. Until today my e-banking issue is not solved and I was busy for the whole week, hence no time to follow up until today. I demanded them to call me back by next Tuesday to get this fixed, alternatively they asked me to call KL branch myself. doh.gif doh.gif

If this continues, I will not bother with their e-banking service which sadly to say I only have that RM 490.00 to withdraw there. doh.gif

I'm going for International bank now and I'm going on leave soon (yeah again) for a week, from 4th to 8th November. So, I will open a personal account with Stan Chart since I confirm it has a branch in my hometown, seen that since I was 4-5 years old. laugh.gif

Worse comes to worst, I'll just walk in to SCB myself.

Below are the details I have checked:
1) Each overseas withdrawal will cost RM 12.00 for transaction fees
2) I will be issued with debit card that allows me to transact in Cirrus and Maestro networks.

With just RM 12.00 (I hope no more additional), I think I'm better off to withdraw using international bank. sleep.gif

I really pity you lah.

To tell you the truth, no difference if you open SCB or not. You only get either PLUS or Cirrus.

Now go check behind of your CIMB and PBB debit cards (or ATM cards) and see if they got cirrus or not. Then call CS and ask them need to activate for overseas cash withdrawal and the fees? If necessary go get MBB Cirrus and Plus logo.

Better you check SCB Just One account T&C and check if any fees applies. You DO NOT need to open Just One account. SCB also has normal savings account which comes with Debit Card - I used to have their Priority Banking Debit Card for like 3 months, haha and it was linked to a normal savings account.

I guess you should call ICBC KL branch since CS is like clueless on the eBanking thingy.

I tell you, the easiest just bring RMB notes equivalent up to USD10K to China and your problems solved tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 26 2013, 10:18 PM
fruitie
post Oct 26 2013, 10:20 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 26 2013, 10:15 PM)
I really pity you lah.

To tell you the truth, no difference if you open SCB or not. You only get either PLUS or Cirrus.

Now go check behind of your CIMB and PBB debit cards (or ATM cards) and see if they got cirrus or not. Then call CS and ask them need to activate for overseas cash withdrawal and the fees? If necessary go get MBB Cirrus and Plus logo.

Better you check SCB Just One account T&C and check if any fees applies. You DO NOT need to open Just One account. SCB also has normal savings account which comes with Debit Card - I used to have their Priority Banking Debit Card for like 3 months, haha and it was linked to a normal savings account.

I guess you should call ICBC  KL branch since CS is like clueless on the eBanking thingy.

I tell you, the easiest  just bring RMB notes equivalent up to USD10K to China and your problems solved  tongue.gif
I know. laugh.gif
I reckon I can use my existing cards actually. laugh.gif
But a bit too old, so thought of changing my MBB card to the newer version which comes with PLUS.
SCB is because it is in my hometown and is an international bank. thumbup.gif
I was asking about the basic account but he said these days they only issue JustOne account which is much better. At least not as arrogant as HSBC. sleep.gif

CIMB and PBB, I seldom use them. tongue.gif

There is Carrefour connected to my hotel, so I guess I can use the UnionPay there to buy my stuff. biggrin.gif

My exciting journey is coming up soon. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 26 2013, 10:23 PM
Gen-X
post Oct 26 2013, 10:32 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 26 2013, 10:20 PM)
I reckon I can use my existing cards actually. laugh.gif
But a bit too old, so thought of changing my MBB card to the newer version which comes with PLUS.
I was asking about the basic account but he said these days they only issue JustOne account which is much better. At least not as arrogant as HSBC. sleep.gif

CIMB and PBB, I seldom use them. tongue.gif

There is Carrefour connected to my hotel, so I guess I can use the UnionPay there to buy my stuff. biggrin.gif

My exciting journey is coming up soon. biggrin.gif
Carrefour - maybe they accept AMEX and you get to use your MBB 2 AMEX tongue.gif

Oh, if you still have second thoughts of going to China, my offer to replace you is still on and I learn very fast, so need two days of briefing from you and I am ready for whatever task nod.gif

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 26 2013, 09:28 PM)
I saw that you posted that a few days ago. Haven't had the time to read it yet   sweat.gif
Sifu, you forever busy flying here and there and I really admire you because you take the trouble to post even when you half way round the world tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 26 2013, 10:32 PM
fruitie
post Oct 27 2013, 06:32 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 26 2013, 10:32 PM)
Carrefour - maybe they accept AMEX and you get to use your MBB 2 AMEX  tongue.gif

Oh, if you still have second thoughts of going to China, my offer to replace you is still on and I learn very fast, so need two days of briefing from you and I am ready for whatever task  nod.gif 
Yes and only stock up my groceries during weekends. tongue.gif

I'm still having actually but I cannot say no now, flight is booked, hotels for 60 days is booked... So basically, I must go no matter what. Very miserable because the weather is cold and etc. Sigh.
fruitie
post Oct 30 2013, 05:18 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

Gen-X and MilesAndMore, just noticed that my JustOne account is approved by SCB. thumbup.gif

I just submitted online and that's all. biggrin.gif

I think another reason is because I'm holding their credit card (for free cash reward sake tongue.gif). biggrin.gif

Now I'm waiting for them to call me to arrange for my debit card delivery, I will choose to pick up from PD branch. I think pretty case closed here. smile.gif Still no time to call ICBC. sleep.gif Will do it tomorrow.

Oh ya, haven't changed my Maybank ATM to new debit card yet. tongue.gif

Edit: Just saw this in my personal mailbox, SCB actually dropped me an email 2 days ago to ask for my preferred time and date to visit PD branch. thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 30 2013, 06:09 PM
MilesAndMore
post Nov 5 2013, 12:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

Come to think of it, yes. You are right.

Initially i was suggesting HSBC or Citibank to fruitie because HSBC only charge RM5 for every overseas HSBC ATM cash withdrawal instead of the usual RM12 that most other banks charge. This way she can save some overseas ATM cash withdrawal fee.

Just checked mine. The CIMB ones (both the debit MasterCard and normal ATM card) come with Cirrus logo while Public Bank Day2Day VISA debit card comes with Plus. The old normal Public Bank ATM card (the red and blue ones) has neither logo.

This Standard Chartered JustOne Account is better than all of their other savings account types and is fee-free. They will even refund the fee charged from local ATM cash withdrawal provided you fulfill the monthly deposit requirement brows.gif

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 26 2013, 10:20 PM)
Yes. JustOne is the best account type that Standard Chartered offers now thumbup.gif

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 26 2013, 10:32 PM)
Sifu, you forever busy flying here and there and I really admire you because you take the trouble to post even when you half way round the world  tongue.gif
laugh.gif It has since become a habit of mine to come to this site whenever i'm online regardless where i am. There is however one big problem with the Chrome browser on my iPad which sometimes the tab which contained the lengthy reply i had already typed was automatically refreshed and all work was gone doh.gif vmad.gif

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 30 2013, 05:18 PM)
Oh ya, haven't changed my Maybank ATM to new debit card yet. tongue.gif
Good to learn everything went well with Standard Chartered.

So, have you got your Superman VISA debit card yet ? biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by MilesAndMore: Nov 5 2013, 12:35 PM
fruitie
post Nov 5 2013, 12:40 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

Tomorrow will go and collect my SCB debit card and activate my account. They have contacted me via email to make appointment with me. biggrin.gif

I have changed my Maybank card but unfortunately it doesn't have Superman card anymore.... sad.gif I got the MU instead. biggrin.gif

Case closed for me and didn't bother about ICBC anymore. Will finish it off in China. Try to use UnionPay there.
SUSXnet
post Nov 5 2013, 12:49 PM

Regular
1,862 posts

Does anyone know how much difference will be the exchange rate that the Bank charges as compared to money changer?

MilesAndMore
post Nov 5 2013, 04:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Nov 5 2013, 12:40 PM)
I have changed my Maybank card but unfortunately it doesn't have Superman card anymore.... sad.gif I got the MU instead. biggrin.gif
I had the MU VISA last time. The design isn't bad biggrin.gif

Anyway, all the best to you in China tongue.gif

fruitie
post Nov 5 2013, 04:46 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Nov 5 2013, 04:44 PM)
I had the MU VISA last time. The design isn't bad   biggrin.gif

Anyway, all the best to you in China   tongue.gif
Yes, the card quality is good. biggrin.gif
Smooth and nice to hold. thumbup.gif

I'm sure I'll because I'll be staying here for 60 nights: http://www.east-beijing.com/en/default.aspx
So, I think I will enjoy myself there. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by fruitie: Nov 5 2013, 04:47 PM
MilesAndMore
post Nov 5 2013, 06:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Nov 5 2013, 04:46 PM)
I'm sure I'll because I'll be staying here for 60 nights: http://www.east-beijing.com/en/default.aspx
So, I think I will enjoy myself there. laugh.gif
Woah! That's a very very nice new property rclxms.gif

fruitie
post Nov 5 2013, 06:08 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Nov 5 2013, 06:02 PM)
Woah! That's a very very nice new property  rclxms.gif
Yeah. biggrin.gif
At least it diverts my mind from the cash issue at the moment. tongue.gif
zenquix
post Nov 9 2013, 09:40 AM

Life is short!
2,546 posts

for 60 nights, i would have asked for a hotel that earns loyalty status. you can be a top tier member at the end of the trip.

This post has been edited by zenquix: Nov 9 2013, 09:41 AM
fruitie
post Nov 9 2013, 01:18 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(zenquix @ Nov 9 2013, 09:40 AM)
for 60 nights, i would have asked for a hotel that earns loyalty status. you can be a top tier member at the end of the trip.
Out of my control and I don't book it myself, company books for me and I only have a list of hotels that participates in company's corporate rate.
Have to find the nearest to my office as we have 4 offices in Beijing. sweat.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0505sec    0.83    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:14 PM