Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Using CIMB ATM Card Overseas, Activated...but which ATMs can use?

views

SUSOptiplex330
post Jan 1 2009, 04:02 PM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Dec 24 2007, 01:13 PM)
Seriously, i advise u not to do that..
Just take out cash and go money exchange b4 u leave...

I think u cant bring above RM5000 worth or something like that out of country but just declare it then u can...
No charges.
I have to totally disagree with you here.

To bring cash for overseas travel (eg. 10,000 USD), there are a few options:

1. Get USD notes from our local money changer. Don't know how much profit they made but would you want to carry all those USD10,000 in your pocket? You have to worry about thief etc.

2. Buy traveler check. You have to pay for charges also. And you can only use it at limited places like hotel/bank/money exchange etc. Any unused money has to bring back to your local bank to convert back to RM.

3. ATM card. There are ATM machines all over the place, even in supermarket. You plug in your card and you get USD anytime, anywhere and at any amount. Simple. Efficient. Safe. The charge ranges from RM5 to RM12 per transaction. So if you withdraw RM3000, it work out to be 0.04%. But ATM exchange rate is often cheaper than money changer and from traveler check.

On charges. If you use HSBC ATM card and use it in HSBC ATM machine overseas (they are the world's 2nd biggest bank), the transaction charges is nil for Premier customer and RM5 for others.

But please note, not ATM card can be used overseas. Only ATM card with the logo Cirrus (belong to MasterCard organization) or PLUS (belong to VISA organization) can be used. And if you have never used your ATM card in Malaysia before, you MUST activated it first before going overseas. This is because you can not activate it overseas.

Therefore I highly recommend people traveling oversea to use ATM card. You can use it anywhere in the world as long as there are ATM machine. And if you want to go to Peru, tell me, do you know of any local money changer having Peruvian currency note?
SUSOptiplex330
post Jan 1 2009, 04:06 PM

10k Club
12,696 posts

While overseas, you can use your Credit Card and ATM card to withdraw cash. Try not to use CC because there is a blanket cash advance fee of 1% whereas there are none for ATM card.

Added on January 1, 2009, 4:10 pm
QUOTE(Chester @ Jan 1 2009, 04:04 PM)
Actually, whether its RM1 or RM10, the charge came from the switch ie MEPS or Cirrus/Maestro, not the bank.
I do no think so. Here are my reasoning.

1. If they are all from CIRRUS/PLUS etc, the charges should be the same. But AFAIK, different bank charge different amount. Some zero. Some RM5. Some RM10 and others RM12.

2. CIRRUS/PLUS makes their money from the foreign exchange conversion. If you withdraw Japanese Yen, C/P will convert Yen to USD and from USD to RM. They make their money there.

This post has been edited by Optiplex330: Jan 1 2009, 04:10 PM
SUSOptiplex330
post Dec 24 2012, 07:09 AM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(FinalanzJoel @ Dec 24 2012, 01:07 AM)
Hai.. i wanna ask about Public Bank Day2Day Visa Debit Card. is there anyone know PBB D2D VISA DC can swipe or withdrawal in Taiwan? because im planning not to bring a lot of cash with me next year to Taiwan. so i plan if my cash not enough in few days in Taiwan. i want withdrawal in Taiwan ATM. But im afraid canot use the card.  THANK YOU.
Already told you. Cut & paste:

Only ATM card with the logo Cirrus (belong to MasterCard organization) or PLUS (belong to VISA organization) can be used. And if you have never used your ATM card in Malaysia before, you MUST activated it first before going overseas. This is because you can not activate it overseas.
SUSOptiplex330
post Oct 13 2013, 01:12 AM

10k Club
12,696 posts

Just a quick note.

You can use your bank ATM card or Credit Card to withdraw cash from overseas ATM machines.

Using ATM card (AFAIK, only cards with CIRRUS or PLUS logo will work) will normally incur some small charges (there are exceptions). May be RM10 or RM20 or whatever.

Using Credit Card will incur LOTs of charges.

So note the difference in which one you are using.

This post has been edited by Optiplex330: Oct 13 2013, 01:40 PM
SUSOptiplex330
post Oct 14 2013, 08:36 PM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 14 2013, 05:37 PM)
Fake Citi adress, hahahaha

Oh yes, opening a Citi Account really time consuming, can take up to 1 hour or more. Foreign banks like Citi has to be careful because US government suka suka can fine banks for this and that.

But once you open a Citi banking account, next time easy to open another account as all your info in their system. But, I must warn you, never deposit your money with Citibank FD/Term Deposit. Click here to read my article Privilege Premier Priority where I mentioned a Citi customer called Citibank - Shittybank, because she could not withdraw her FD as no personal banker was around!!!
Foreign banks are very very careful about people laundering money. So they will ask lots of questions and lots of procedures to follow etc. Some even want to know what sorts of underwear you got on if you want to send a few thousands to your son or daughter. Exaggerating a bit but you got the picture.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0144sec    0.61    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:46 PM