Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Using CIMB ATM Card Overseas, Activated...but which ATMs can use?

views

fruitie
post Oct 2 2013, 12:16 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

I'm sorry to interrupt but I need some advice regarding this matter. At this moment, I have Maybank, CIMB and Public Bank. Maybank is my active bank account while the other two only have transactions once a while.

I just got to know that I will be posted to China for a short term assignment and I will be there for 2-3 months. I can't be bringing a lot of cash there as I will be there for long term (longer than going vacation).

May I know how can I withdraw money from their ATM? I don't mind opening other bank account in Malaysia so long I can do the withdrawal transaction conveniently but not with a high service charge. sweat.gif While I'm there, I'm entitled for daily allowance and my salary in Malaysia are still running, so I need to withdraw money for my expenses over there as I'm not paid a single cent by China and my expenses are fully paid by Malaysia. laugh.gif

Company has supplied me with credit card, accommodations and transportations are covered at least. laugh.gif

I'll be in Beijing most of the time but maybe spend few days in Shanghai.

Anybody? MilesAndMore can help?

Thank you! notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 2 2013, 12:17 AM
fruitie
post Oct 2 2013, 12:47 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 2 2013, 12:36 AM)
How about opening a HSBC account here in Malaysia ? I normally use my HSBC ATM card for emergency cash withdrawal overseas. For normal account and also HSBC Advance Account (RM20k to open and maintain HSBC Advance), you will be charged RM5/withdrawal at HSBC and also Hang Seng Bank overseas. For HSBC Premier, it is free.

Another choice of course would be Citibank. And Citibank doesn't charge you withdrawal fee at their overseas Citibank ATM even for a normal banking account. However, in terms of branch presence in China, HSBC Group is the clear winner here.
QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 2 2013, 12:40 AM)
Oh yeah, would you be able to open a Bank of China account in China ? Last time i heard it is possible to wire money to an individual account from Bank of China Malaysia branch to Bank of China Mainland China. May be you can save a bit on transaction fees but you might need to trouble your friend or family to wire the money over to you. The simplest way would be to just open a HSBC or Citibank account in Malaysia.
I don't necessarily need to open the account with RM 20k right? sweat.gif I only need it to eat and shop a bit there... sweat.gif
You meant that's for HSBC Advance right? So, it has other normal accounts I presume?

I'm not sure yet but I do have the plan to check out Bank of China in Malaysia and I heard if they issue ATM card with Union Pay, then I'm pretty safe? I'm not sure if I can open a bank account in China because I'm not employed by them. sweat.gif
So, my best bet is to open one in Malaysia... smile.gif

Looks like I will need to check out BoC and for sure HSBC as well. Maybe will open Citibank as well, just in case.

Thanks for your help. notworthy.gif
fruitie
post Oct 2 2013, 12:55 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 2 2013, 12:52 AM)
Haha. Don't worry. You can just open a HSBC Basic Savings Account with RM20. You do not have to pay the VISA debit card (HSBC no longer issue normal ATM card) annual fee and it comes with 8 free ATM cash withdrawal per month (local)  thumbup.gif
Thanks a lot for the headsup. Terkejut I, RM 20k.. sweat.gif Indeed a big difference with just RM 20. laugh.gif
I will check out... RM 5 is still not too bad if I withdraw RMB 1k or RMB 500 at once. sweat.gif
fruitie
post Oct 12 2013, 04:05 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 12 2013, 03:53 AM)
fruitie

Okay, I am here, like I mentioned in OCBC Thread, check out Bank of China UnionPay card. It is a debit card and you can get one in Malaysia.

Link below for their branches:

http://www.bankofchina.com/my/en/aboutus/ab3/

Besides HSBC as Miles mentioned, you can also go open a Citibank Account locally (RM10) and then you have two choices to transfer money to China since it looks like there are many Citibank branches in Beijing and Shanghai.

1.  Open Citibank Account in China and then perform Global Transfer online where funds are transferred immediately (max USD10K/day), i.e. you click transfer in your Malaysia Account and the amount will show up instantly in your China Citi acct.  Confirmed here China in the list for Citi Online Global transfer.

2. Use your Citi Bank Debit Card and withdraw from Citibank ATMs in China.

In my article Melbourne Victoria Australia, I showed that I got better conversion rate with Citi Global Transfer compared to withdrawing cash at Citi ATM.

But I still think better choice is going with Bank of China UnionPay where you can easily access  to your cash. Go check your M2U and see if you can transfer (giro) to Bank of China Malaysia. Come to think of it, be kiasu like me - go open account with both Citibank and  BOC here.
Thanks a lot for your input! I didn't know about the UnionPay card until you highlighted just now. Definitely need to apply one in BoC. At least it solves most of my issues there but still need to be prepared with situations where only cash is accepted. Will check out GIRO transfer, I believe Maybank should have for BoC. laugh.gif

I'm not too sure if they will allow me to open a bank account there when I don't have any source of income from their country. hmm.gif That's why I thought of opening one in Malaysia just in case I'm stuck there.

I'm going to be kiasu as well and open an account in Citi and HSBC. Since I will be in BoC to apply for UnionPay, will check out their banking service as well. Man, this trip is driving me crazy. rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 12 2013, 04:12 AM
fruitie
post Oct 12 2013, 04:35 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 12 2013, 04:26 AM)
If you go google UnionPay, it says that there  are 5 million ATM accepting them!!! I guess you won't have any problems withdrawing cash in China with UnionPay Card. And by the way, I was in SG ION Orchard and not mistaken they have lounge for UnionPay customers (not sure what card only entitles one to enter) there!!!

Well, if you cannot open savings account in China, with the 3 debit cards, I suppose you will have no problems getting cash from ATMs. tongue.gif
Great help! notworthy.gif
I checked through Citibank's Global Transfer, it seems for China is only applicable for non-Renminbi accounts. So, it means to open a Citibank account in China is totally out of question now. Will definitely need to open one here, and transfer via M2U Giro. laugh.gif
Yes, you are right, if I still can't survive with those 3 cards there, I think will inform my boss, I want to cancel my assignment and come back Malaysia. laugh.gif

By the way, back to the UnionPay, the link you showed earlier in OCBC thread. It seems that it has two types: Great Wall Travel Prepaid Card (“GWTPC”) and Great Wall Prepaid Card (“GWPPC”). For GWTPC, one of the clauses mentions this: GWTPC can only be used for purchasing, no ATM withdrawal allowed. Please treat your card like cash.
-It seems this card cannot be used for ATM withdrawal. hmm.gif

But GWPPC didn't mention anything about that, maybe GWPPC is the one I should apply. smile.gif

Add on: Bank of China is not in Maybank's Giro list. Surprised to know there is another bank called Industrial & Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) which is in GIRO list for Maybank and Citibank. Haven't checked out for HSBC yet.
It also has UnionPay: http://www.icbc.com.cn/icbc/%E6%B5%B7%E5%A...ard/default.htm

Will check out more after I catch some sleep. rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 12 2013, 04:53 AM
fruitie
post Oct 12 2013, 02:20 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 12 2013, 12:57 PM)
If you do not want the assignment, please  recommend me to your boss, I don't mind 3 months contract  smile.gif 

I guess you answered yourself which BOC Debit card to get.

But like you said, better option to get ICBC Union Pay Debit Card as can transfer fund with M2U. So now you can add another Debit Card to your collection  tongue.gif And then write a review of using them in China as a guest columnist in my blog, hahahahaha And if you getting the ICBC Debit Card, might as get their credit card too  sweat.gif
laugh.gif

Yes, I just made a call to ICBC to check out on their debit card. Can use it to withdraw money in any UnionPay ATMs, yeah. rclxm9.gif But ICBC being one of the most reputable banks in China, their ATMs are everywhere. So can save on a lot of transaction fees. biggrin.gif

Will check out more when I visit their bank soon. The CS I spoken to doesn't really sound convincing... laugh.gif

Credit Card? No la, I don't want their CC. sweat.gif China is cash friendly... laugh.gif CC I think I can survive with my Malaysia issued CCs. tongue.gif
fruitie
post Oct 13 2013, 01:24 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

Ya, knew about that and from the first day itself I have thrown away my credit card pin no. smile.gif So, I won't withdraw money from it. smile.gif

Will only go for ATM or Debit Card when it comes to money withdrawal.
fruitie
post Oct 13 2013, 11:50 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(zenquix @ Oct 13 2013, 10:36 PM)
come 2015, you  need your PIN when purchasing stuff. No more signature.

Stick to ATM (Cirrus of Plus). Better than bringing wads of cash.
sweat.gif Then, I will need to contact bank to reset my password. laugh.gif

Ya, not bringing a lot of cash. smile.gif
fruitie
post Oct 14 2013, 04:19 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

MilesAndMore and Gen-X, an update on my case since I took leave today with the hope that I could open either Citibank or HSBC account in Seremban since I'm back here.

I just got to know Citibank has no branch in Seremban. doh.gif Then no choice went to HSBC and they didn't allow me to open a basic account with them. I can only open if I invest in their education or insurance plan. doh.gif I wasn't too happy about that and I said I made a call to their CS yesterday and was told this is possible. Then the officer started asking me which company I work for and etc. I showed him my business card and the company I'm working for is a very renowned MNC. He took my business card and spoke to his superior, he came back with the same answer but I'm allowed to open HSBC Advance Current Account. I will need to maintain RM 20k balance or RM 10 will be deducted from account every month. doh.gif To open it I need RM 500. If I refused to accept this offer, I will need to tie to education or insurance plan in order for me to open savings account with them.

I stood up and said thank you, I'm not interested. sleep.gif
fruitie
post Oct 14 2013, 05:28 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 14 2013, 04:53 PM)
hahaha, why you never check if Citi got branch in Seremban. As for HSBC, only MilesAndMore likes them (JK sifu Miles)i whereas I don't have any HSBC banking accounts since they don't offer any FD promos to existing customers. But I got a HSBC Australia Debit card with my Transaction Account (no interest acct) and it has less than AUD10 in it, hahaha.

And maybe you should go complain with BNM and say that HSBC has this stupid policy where one needs to have some investment plan with them to open a normal Savings Account. This is too much, it's like blackmail, yes, go make complain, I support you  tongue.gif

I can confirm here and now that Citibank no need purchase any investment plan to sign up for a Savings Account. All you have to do is deposit very nominal sum (I think my daughter's account has less than RM15 in it) and you'll be issued the Citibank Debit Card on the spot. Now, now, all their Debit cards' 16 digit numbers are pre-embossed (more like printed) , so if you like can be extra nice to the person issuing the card (example, wah you hair very nice or nice watch you got there or if he's a guy, call him leng chai), he/she might just let you choose the number you like   thumbup.gif  As you know I am a freaking nice person, so I got to choose Citi debit card numbers for my wife, son, daughter and myself, hahahaha.

Wednesday go to ICBC and Citi to open their Savings Account. Both have branches in KL and Puchong (check their website for branches location).

On by the way, don't forget, if you wish to give up your China assignment, please recommend me to your boss to replace you. And since you going to China, maybe you should recommend to Admin that I stand in for you here as staff until you get back nod.gif
I checked and there was an address who knows it is a fake address. Well, fair to say the information wasn't from Citibank's site. tongue.gif

I called Citibank and they need employment confirmation letter and 3-month payslip. rclxub.gif But they said they could accept business card as well if I don't have confirmation letter. However, still up to their management's discretion to allow me to open or not. I cannot imagine that opening a savings account in foreign bank can be so tedious....

I'm going to Citibank Jalan Ampang and ICBC KL near to KLCC... Maybe Thursday or Friday, Wednesday is very busy as I'm not working since last Friday. tongue.gif
If I still cannot solve this issue, looks like I will need to give up on this assignment...

laugh.gif at the bold part.

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 14 2013, 05:29 PM
fruitie
post Oct 14 2013, 09:45 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 14 2013, 05:37 PM)
Fake Citi adress, hahahaha

Oh yes, opening a Citi Account really time consuming, can take up to 1 hour or more. Foreign banks like Citi has to be careful because US government suka suka can fine banks for this and that.

But once you open a Citi banking account, next time easy to open another account as all your info in their system. But, I must warn you, never deposit your money with Citibank FD/Term Deposit. Click here to read my article Privilege Premier Priority where I mentioned a Citi customer called Citibank - Shittybank, because she could not withdraw her FD as no personal banker was around!!!
laugh.gif Thanks for the heads-up.
Looks like I will need to take another off day to settle my banking issue. doh.gif

If I manage to open one savings account with Citibank, I'm going to maintain it just for the sake of convenience in the future. biggrin.gif
fruitie
post Oct 14 2013, 10:54 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

Thanks MilesAndMore I haven't gone to ICBC yet, good point for me to check out. I don't intend to take their credit card by the way. laugh.gif

For me, being able to GIRO from Maybank already a plus point for me. Other things are not that important. laugh.gif

Oh God, looks like I'll face another round of obstacle in Citibank. doh.gif I don't think I will be eligible for CitiGold, I just want a normal basic savings account. So difficult meh? cry.gif

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 14 2013, 11:02 PM
fruitie
post Oct 14 2013, 11:12 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(fly126 @ Oct 14 2013, 11:10 PM)
Last Time I Remember I When I Open My Citibank Basic Saving Account at 2007-08 (the when Year the World Economic Meltdown Crisis)...   
When the Citibank almost Bankrupt at that time, They Have to Interviewed me on Background Checking for almost 1 hrs for that... whistling.gif  sweat.gif
Thanks. Now they are doing well, so I think my chances to get probably near to 0.
I hope ICBC won't give me much headache there. doh.gif
fruitie
post Oct 14 2013, 11:56 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(fly126 @ Oct 14 2013, 11:24 PM)
Have a try 1st with Citibank... U Never Try,  U Never Know laugh.gif
I will apply for ICBC first and proceed with Citibank later. nod.gif
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 12:12 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 12:08 AM)
No need CitiGold to have Citi Savings Account. Both my son and daughter are students and they have their own Citi Savings Account. The thing is this, the person who is opening your Citibank account is a Personal Banker and his main income is from selling Citi products to their customers besides having a monthly quota of RMx deposit (I can't remember the exact amount). So yes, they prefer if the customer sign up for CitiGold status BUT it is still part of their service to open new account for other customers who are not into CitiGold.

But like Miles said, better go early and experience their wonderful global service  tongue.gif 

Come to thing of it, better you go to ICBC and get your account up and running and if got time only go to Citi because I feel the ICBC card would be adequate for your China assignment. Citi only as backup and may not even be necessary as zenquix mentioned, we still can withdraw cash with our local bank Visa or MasterCard Credit Card that has the Cirrus or Plus logo.
Yeah, I hope they will consider and let me open one for backup. My priority is ICBC. sweat.gif I hope it is smooth over there. laugh.gif
The problem is I will need to get bank to reset my password as I don't bother to keep those passwords. laugh.gif

Shall update here on my journey of opening savings accounts in foreign banks. biggrin.gif
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 12:16 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 12:14 AM)
Made a typo, don't use credit card to withdraw cash. I edited my earlier post, should be read as our local bank DEBIT card with the Cirrus and Plus logo.
Oh yes, if debit card sounds much better. biggrin.gif
Credit card a big no to me. laugh.gif

I have no debit card yet, even my Maybank card is the old ATM. blush.gif
Maybe I will just need to change it for future proof. laugh.gif
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 12:35 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 12:31 AM)
Most of our local bank debit cards have Plus or Cirrus logo.

UOB Debit Card MasterCard has Cirrus logo and I have used it in US where the conversion rate is the same as spot rate but every withdrawal will cost me RM12. And UOB debit card got a daily limit of RM1K only!!!

My MBB Platinum Debit MasterCard has the Cirrus logo too. Can't remember what is my daily withdrawal limit. Actually I don't even remember the password, hahaha. I got it because I wanted the Maybank Online Savings Account that pays reasonable interest rate for amount above RM2K. Go check what fee is imposed for overseas withdrawal.

My RHB Debit MasterCard useless as only got BankCard logo, can't withdraw a sen with it when I was in USA. But my RHB Premier Visa Debit Card got Plus logo. So I guess RHB out.

My Alliance Bank MasterCard Debit Card has the Cirrus logo. Never used it overseas so got no idea if any fee.

My local Citibank Visa Debit Card has the Plus logo. Also check with Citibank how much it will cost you per withdrawal (even with Citi ATM in China). Citibank told me no charges if I withdraw from Citi ATM, well guess what, I was charged RM10 per withdrawal when I used it in Melbourne Citibank Chinatown ATM.

Conclusion - firstly go get a MBB MasterCard Debit Card that has Cirrus logo and another Debit Card that has Plus logo (e.g. Citibank).
Man, you are awesome! Truly guru in all types of cards. laugh.gif

I remember that and I have that account as well. tongue.gif

Ya, Citibank also told me free unlimited, thanks for the heads-up. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 15 2013, 12:36 AM
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 12:56 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 12:51 AM)
oh, I forgot, you must go get the coolest Debit Card on Planet Earth where I believe it should have the Plus logo and this card will be accepted even if your company sent you on a intergalactic assignment  laugh.gif 

user posted image
I wanted the Superman Maybank card. laugh.gif
Sorry, quick and noob question... Since Debit Card directly deducts from my bank account balance... How to ensure that if I lost my card today and somebody picks it up, will this person able to swipe anything and deduct from my balance? Any security measurement will be applied before any charges can be charged to debit card? I know if credit card, will need to block card and raise dispute but at least it is a credit card, so no actual payment is deducted from me yet...

Apologies for this stupid question because I only have normal ATM and credit cards. blush.gif
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 01:03 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 01:00 AM)
The beauty of a Debit Card is that you can control your damage, i.e. only deposit the amount you need into the account that is linked to the card. Not sure for China but it Australia we need to key in the PIN number when using Debit Card to pay for stuff at outlets; however, recently at Woolworths (one of the 2 biggest supermarket in Oz) one do not need to key in the PIN if amount less than AUD30.

Just like credit cards, guard your debit cards with your life  tongue.gif
sweat.gif Pretty dangerous isn't it if I lost the card? sweat.gif
hmm.gif Maybe I will need to open a new Maybank savings account and just use it for debit card purpose.

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 15 2013, 01:04 AM
fruitie
post Oct 15 2013, 01:13 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
67,938 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 01:10 AM)
Yes, I think that is best.

ICBC UnionPay Debit Card.

Citibank Visa Debit Card with Plus Logo - new Savings Acct nominal amount to open. Just go deposit RM50 when the Personal Banker ask you how much you want deposit. Say you will transfer later from M2U.

Hong Leong Bank Transformer Visa Debit Card with Plus Logo - new Savings Acct with RM1K deposit but you can withdraw next day I believe but must maintain RM10 but better you check with them, I might be wrong here.

UOB MasterCard with Cirrus Logo - New Savings Accout with RM450 deposit I think but can go withdraw next day. This card good if lost, withdrawal limit only RM1K/day.

Transfer only the amount required from M2U account to the above cards.
Good points and well noted. smile.gif
Then, I don't need to get a Maybank Debit Card yet since it is my main bank, I really don't want to risk it for unnecessary risky things. sweat.gif
Just let it use for ATM and Giro purpose only. sweat.gif

Looks like it is Citibank and UOB now since I will get Plus and Cirrus. Of course ICBC for UnionPay.
Anymore other choices besides UOB For Cirrus?

This post has been edited by fruitie: Oct 15 2013, 01:14 AM

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0158sec    1.01    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:36 PM