Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Using CIMB ATM Card Overseas, Activated...but which ATMs can use?

views

MilesAndMore
post Feb 11 2009, 12:55 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(b00n @ Dec 26 2007, 12:13 PM)
For international banks like HSBC and Citibank whereby one can always withdraw from their originating country via ATM networks in other countries are usually not subjected to transaction charges besides the forex exchange difference. Yes, do agree that sometimes forex rates are better. Only problem is we do not know during withdrawal.

Actually HSBC and Citibank do have handling charge when withdrawing money from your home account via any of their own overseas ATMs. The charge for HSBC is RM5. As for Premier customer the handling charge for cash withdrawals at HSBC group ATM is waived. Same for Citibank if you are a Citigold customer, there is zero handling charge when you withdraw money at any Citi Group ATM worldwide.

QUOTE(b00n @ Dec 26 2007, 12:13 PM)
But when one withdraws via Maestro or Cirrus, IIRC the charges are not cheap. It's definitely not the usual RM1 like MEPS charges in M'sia.
All local foreign banks charge RM10 - RM12, be it at Mastercard, Maestro, Cirrus, Plus or Visa network.

QUOTE(Optiplex330 @ Jan 1 2009, 04:02 PM)
But please note, not ATM card can be used overseas. Only ATM card with the logo Cirrus (belong to MasterCard organization) or PLUS (belong to VISA organization) can be used. And if you have never used your ATM card in Malaysia before, you MUST activated it first before going overseas. This is because you can not activate it overseas.
Believe you don't have to activate the HSBC ATM card prior for overseas use. My dad's been using his HSBC ATM to withdraw cash numerous times at HSBC Jakarta, HSBC Singapore, HSBC Manila, HSBC Bangkok, HSBC Hong Kong, HSBC Chengdu, HSBC Guangzhou and HSBC Beijing and he didn't have to inform the bank nor did he have to activate the card for overseas use.

QUOTE(Optiplex330 @ Jan 1 2009, 04:06 PM)
1. If they are all from CIRRUS/PLUS etc, the charges should be the same. But AFAIK, different bank charge different amount. Some zero. Some RM5. Some RM10 and others RM12.
The lowest charge to withdraw money from Cirrus/Maestro/Plus/Visa/Mastercard network, be it local or overseas is RM10 and RM12 the most.

QUOTE(T_flash @ Feb 10 2009, 10:24 PM)
Can someone confirm CIMB's fee for oversea ATM????

RM10

MilesAndMore
post Jun 2 2010, 04:51 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(razkal @ Jun 2 2010, 04:26 PM)
Hello everyone, I would like to ask which ATM in UK can be use to withdraw money using CIMB card. I have already activated my card, and have tried on the Natwest ATM but couldn't withdraw any. Tried to contact customer service in M'sia and they said there is no problem with my card.  icon_question.gif
There should be no problem for you to withdraw money at any UK banks with your CIMB Bank ATM card which is on CIRRUS/Maestro network. Did you choose the right account ? And did you activate the card for overseas use ?

MilesAndMore
post Jun 2 2010, 05:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(razkal @ Jun 2 2010, 05:15 PM)
The problem is my atm card doesn't have any kind of Cirrus or Maestro marking on it. Just the normal bankcard logo. Probably it's an old card. I checked back that i had it activated before i came here so it should be ok. Maybe the atm doesn't have any cirrus logo have to check again later. I don't know. Haih..
The missing of the Cirrus and Maestro logo is most likely to be the reason why you failed to withdraw your money using the card. As far as i am concerned, all new CIMB Bank/CIMB Islamic have the Bankard/Cirrus/Maestro logo on the back of the ATM card.

MilesAndMore
post Sep 26 2013, 10:01 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(calebc @ Sep 25 2013, 05:51 PM)
Can some of you guys stop all the misinformation? A lot of banks with presence across regions now offer oversea ATM withdrawal with your local ATM card with NO CHARGES, regardless whether it's on a CIRRUS / PLUS network or not as long as you are going to an ATM machine owned by the same banking group.
How about checking the dates of all the replies before posting next time ? And also how about reading other people's replies clearly ?

QUOTE(calebc @ Sep 25 2013, 05:51 PM)
I've tried performing withdrawals with HSBC Hongkong and OCBC in SG with my Malaysian ATM cards and I'm not getting charged for withdrawals. So far, the exchange rate is always better than money changers at any time!
I'm not so sure about this. I've performed ATM cash withdrawals at HSBC HK, HSBC China and HSBC SG using HSBC MY ATM card and the exchange rate was no better than what i could have gotten from a money changer. I have also withdrawn money from Maybank SG (Plaza Singapura) using my Maybank VISA debit card and again, the exchange rate was higher than the SG banknotes i bought from money changer.

QUOTE(calebc @ Sep 25 2013, 05:55 PM)
Recently, CIMB and Maybank has joined in in offering such services. Please check with your banks for more accurate info.
Define recent. It's not all that recent to be honest. Of all Malaysian banks, CIMB was the first to do this. And Maybank also started doing this like 2 years or so ago.
MilesAndMore
post Oct 2 2013, 12:36 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 2 2013, 12:16 AM)
I'm sorry to interrupt but I need some advice regarding this matter. At this moment, I have Maybank, CIMB and Public Bank. Maybank is my active bank account while the other two only have transactions once a while.

I just got to know that I will be posted to China for a short term assignment and I will be there for 2-3 months. I can't be bringing a lot of cash there as I will be there for long term (longer than going vacation).

May I know how can I withdraw money from their ATM? I don't mind opening other bank account in Malaysia so long I can do the withdrawal transaction conveniently but not with a high service charge. sweat.gif While I'm there, I'm entitled for daily allowance and my salary in Malaysia are still running, so I need to withdraw money for my expenses over there as I'm not paid a single cent by China and my expenses are fully paid by Malaysia. laugh.gif

Company has supplied me with credit card, accommodations and transportations are covered at least. laugh.gif

I'll be in Beijing most of the time but maybe spend few days in Shanghai.

Anybody? MilesAndMore can help?

Thank you! notworthy.gif
How about opening a HSBC account here in Malaysia ? I normally use my HSBC ATM card for emergency cash withdrawal overseas. For normal account and also HSBC Advance Account (RM20k to open and maintain HSBC Advance), you will be charged RM5/withdrawal at HSBC and also Hang Seng Bank overseas. For HSBC Premier, it is free.

Another choice of course would be Citibank. And Citibank doesn't charge you withdrawal fee at their overseas Citibank ATM even for a normal banking account. However, in terms of branch presence in China, HSBC Group is the clear winner here.

MilesAndMore
post Oct 2 2013, 12:40 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

Oh yeah, would you be able to open a Bank of China account in China ? Last time i heard it is possible to wire money to an individual account from Bank of China Malaysia branch to Bank of China Mainland China. May be you can save a bit on transaction fees but you might need to trouble your friend or family to wire the money over to you. The simplest way would be to just open a HSBC or Citibank account in Malaysia.
MilesAndMore
post Oct 2 2013, 12:52 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 2 2013, 12:47 AM)
I don't necessarily need to open the account with RM 20k right? sweat.gif I only need it to eat and shop a bit there... sweat.gif
You meant that's for HSBC Advance right? So, it has other normal accounts I presume?

I'm not sure yet but I do have the plan to check out Bank of China in Malaysia and I heard if they issue ATM card with Union Pay, then I'm pretty safe? I'm not sure if I can open a bank account in China because I'm not employed by them. sweat.gif
So, my best bet is to open one in Malaysia... smile.gif

Looks like I will need to check out BoC and for sure HSBC as well. Maybe will open Citibank as well, just in case.

Thanks for your help. notworthy.gif
Haha. Don't worry. You can just open a HSBC Basic Savings Account with RM20. You do not have to pay the VISA debit card (HSBC no longer issue normal ATM card) annual fee and it comes with 8 free ATM cash withdrawal per month (local) thumbup.gif

MilesAndMore
post Oct 14 2013, 10:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 12 2013, 02:20 PM)
Yes, I just made a call to ICBC to check out on their debit card. Can use it to withdraw money in any UnionPay ATMs, yeah. But ICBC being one of the most reputable banks in China, their ATMs are everywhere. So can save on a lot of transaction fees.
The name Bank of China may gives people the impression that it is the main and largest bank in China but actually, ICBC is the real largest bank in China not only terms of branch presence but also total deposit smile.gif

By the way, good find on the ICBC Malaysia credit card. Did not know ICBC Malaysia has already ventured out to the credit card business here!

Did you by any chance ask them if you can deposit RMB in cash into your RMB account here in Malaysia ? Because if you can, then you can save even more as you can just buy RMB from money changer and deposit the money into your RMB account in ICBC Malaysia.

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 14 2013, 04:19 PM)
Then no choice went to HSBC and they didn't allow me to open a basic account with them. I can only open if I invest in their education or insurance plan. I wasn't too happy about that and I said I made a call to their CS yesterday and was told this is possible. Then the officer started asking me which company I work for and etc. I showed him my business card and the company I'm working for is a very renowned MNC. He took my business card and spoke to his superior, he came back with the same answer but I'm allowed to open HSBC Advance Current Account. I will need to maintain RM 20k balance or RM 10 will be deducted from account every month. To open it I need RM 500. If I refused to accept this offer, I will need to tie to education or insurance plan in order for me to open savings account with them.

I stood up and said thank you, I'm not interested.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with HSBC. Did not know they now resort to such tactic just to do more sales nowadays shakehead.gif

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 14 2013, 04:53 PM)
As for HSBC, only MilesAndMore likes them (JK sifu Miles)i whereas I don't have any HSBC banking accounts since they don't offer any FD promos to existing customers.
Well you know me well biggrin.gif I really fancy their global banking service tongue.gif

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 14 2013, 04:53 PM)
I can confirm here and now that Citibank no need purchase any investment plan to sign up for a Savings Account. All you have to do is deposit very nominal sum (I think my daughter's account has less than RM15 in it) and you'll be issued the Citibank Debit Card on the spot. Now, now, all their Debit cards' 16 digit numbers are pre-embossed (more like printed) , so if you like can be extra nice to the person issuing the card (example, wah you hair very nice or nice watch you got there or if he's a guy, call him leng chai), he/she might just let you choose the number you like. As you know I am a freaking nice person, so I got to choose Citi debit card numbers for my wife, son, daughter and myself, hahahaha.

Wednesday go to ICBC and Citi to open their Savings Account. Both have branches in KL and Puchong (check their website for branches location).
I think Citibank too, is more interested in opening a CitiGold account rather than just a normal savings account. I personally had a very bad experience at Citibank HQ. I tried to open a savings account like 4 or 5 years ago but when i got there, i realized i left my IC in the other bag in my hotel room. It was already around 3pm then and it was Friday. The officer told me all non-cash counters are open until 5pm. So i went back to my hotel room and i managed to get back to Citibank at 4.30pm. I took a number and waited but guess what ? It was 4.50pm (20 minutes later!! vmad.gif ) already and the queue number had not move once! They were ready to close. I approached a Citibank officer who just came out from a room. He was actually very apologetic and he tried to find an account opening officer for me but unfortunately, all had already left which totally shocked me as the banking hall was still open then! How can they all left already when the banking hours is not over ? doh.gif

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 14 2013, 05:28 PM)
I called Citibank and they need employment confirmation letter and 3-month payslip. But they said they could accept business card as well if I don't have confirmation letter. However, still up to their management's discretion to allow me to open or not. I cannot imagine that opening a savings account in foreign bank can be so tedious....
So i see they have not done away with such policy yet! I was told the same thing by their Citibank online support staff. However, a friend of mine went to open a CitiGold account a few years ago during the time they had this 5% Time Deposit promotion and he did not have to supply his employment letter and 3-month payslip. The only thing he showed them is a RM500,000 cheque and that was it sweat.gif I think only half of the money was entitled for the 5% promo rate... but the thing is, he started a CitiGold banking relationship with Citibank with 500k and Citibank was very happy to proceed to open an account for him right away sweat.gif

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 14 2013, 05:37 PM)
But, I must warn you, never deposit your money with Citibank FD/Term Deposit. Click here to read my article Privilege Premier Priority where I mentioned a Citi customer called Citibank - Shittybank, because she could not withdraw her FD as no personal banker was around!!!
Yeah, i can't imagine not one personal banker is around during banking hours in a global bank like Citibank! doh.gif

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 14 2013, 09:45 PM)
Thanks for the heads-up.
Looks like I will need to take another off day to settle my banking issue.

If I manage to open one savings account with Citibank, I'm going to maintain it just for the sake of convenience in the future. biggrin.gif
Good luck mate! Last time i was told that as account opening is pending approval, therefore no debit card will be issued. Instead, if your application is approved, they will then mail the debit card to your correspondence address.

This post has been edited by MilesAndMore: Oct 14 2013, 10:51 PM
MilesAndMore
post Oct 15 2013, 11:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 12:08 AM)
I can sense that somebody here is going to get the ICBC credit card tongue.gif
Hahaha. I'm only aiming to get the ICBC Unionpay debit card now. Their credit card seems useless to me as there is no rewards point or cash back. I actually have a Unionpay ATM card already which is issued by HSBC Hong Kong. Banks in Hong Kong just started to migrate from the magnetic stripe card to chip-based card last year and i got my replacement card late last year.

Then the personal banker asked me source of money,I was like huh? And you'll be surprised what he keyed in, too bad I am not disclosing it
Born rich laugh.gif

My wife also sign up for the CitiGold Account and for her Citibank accepted housewife when it came to the employment question. Not only that, Citi issued my wife the PremierMiles Visa Signature and has been offering to increase her CL recently when their records shows she is a housewife!!! After the 5% promo (3 months), I closed the CitiGold Accounts because I thought later if  Citi has a savings promo again I can be eligible for it after 6 months. But since then their promos are tied to investment plans so never sign up for CitiGold account again. And when I sign up for the CitiGold, I once again sign up for their Plat credit card and have been holding it since then (Citi very good to me, I wanted to cancel the Plat after a year because I did not like the 16 digit number and they issued me a new card with a different number, hahaha).
Man... Citibank really does like you and your family members very much!

And sifu Miles. I know this will interest you even tho it is OT. Only couple months bank Commonwealth Bank introduced the very first Cash Deposit Machine in Melbourne located at their new "teller-less" branch at QV. I tell you, Australia banks are like 10 years behind us. And I think they will never have the Cheque Deposit Machine like we do here because hardly anyone uses personal cheque in Australia. My younger cousins who have been working there for years don't have a cheque book, where as I an unemployed old timer has cheque book from Citibank.
LOL. They are way behind indeed! If an Aussie happens to walk into HSBC Mongkok HQ just to withdraw cash, he will be very surprised and probably confused too as there are 24 automated machines in HSBC Mongkok HQ on the lower ground level (10x ATM, 8x CDM and 6x ChequeDM) laugh.gif

And sifu Miles. I know this will interest you even tho it is OT.
Another proof that you know me well biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 12:31 AM)
My MBB Platinum Debit MasterCard has the Cirrus logo too. Can't remember what is my daily withdrawal limit.
It can be set at the maximum of RM5,000. I forgot what is the default withdrawal limit already though.

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 01:03 AM)
Pretty dangerous isn't it if I lost the card?
Maybe I will need to open a new Maybank savings account and just use it for debit card purpose.
QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 01:13 AM)
Then, I don't need to get a Maybank Debit Card yet since it is my main bank, I really don't want to risk it for unnecessary risky things. Just let it use for ATM and Giro purpose only.
You can actually disable the VISA purchase function through Maybank ATM. Mine for instance, has been disabled since i got mine from Day 1 smile.gif This way it'll be just like a normal ATM card. Even after you have disabled the VISA purchase function, all you need to make sure is that you have activated your card for overseas ATM usage over any Maybank ATM and you will be able to use the card to withdraw cash at overseas ATM.

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 01:10 AM)
Hong Leong Bank Transformer Visa Debit Card with Plus Logo - new Savings Acct with RM1K deposit but you can withdraw next day I believe but must maintain RM10 but better you check with them, I might be wrong here.
QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 15 2013, 01:16 AM)
MBB is MasterCard so it should be Cirrus.
MBB issues both VISA debit card and debit MasterCard.

By the way, for major foreign banks, it is very easy to open an account at Standard Chartered. So if Citibank is a no then may be you'll want to try Standard Chartered next smile.gif

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 03:07 PM)
I learnt a lot as well. biggrin.gif
Just submitted my interest for Citibank savings account, I'm waiting for their officer to call me.
I don't think I have the time to visit them that soon, let's see what they can do for me over the phone. nod.gif
Keep us updated and good luck biggrin.gif
MilesAndMore
post Oct 20 2013, 09:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 18 2013, 05:03 PM)
Gen-X and MilesAndMore, I just came back from ICBC KL... Struck with series of unfortunate events again.

3) Managed to open ICBC account and I asked about the transactions fees  if I withdraw using their ATMs in China. It costs a whopping RMB 25 per transaction! shocking.gif mad.gif
Wah! Quite expensive indeed! That's about the same as withdrawing through Cirrus or PLUS network. But at least you are free from the currency exchange fluctuation risk as your ICBC account is already a RMB account. Shame on the part you can't make deposit in RMB cash to your RMB account at ICBC Malaysia though.

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 18 2013, 05:03 PM)
7) So now, I have the debit card and passbook.
Can post a picture of the ICBC Unionpay debit card ? You know lah... card collectors like us like seeing this kind of stuff laugh.gif

QUOTE(digilife @ Oct 18 2013, 06:22 PM)
Abt ICBC, I am not sure, but a China Bank,  sweat.gif
ICBC is not your average China Bank. It is the
- most profitable bank in the world for a few years already
- largest bank in the world by assets
- largest bank in the world by market capitalization
- second largest bank in China by branch presence

QUOTE(digilife @ Oct 18 2013, 08:22 PM)
Tell me which is Malaysia's richest bank ?

Riches doesn't mean they provide the best in Service.

China's bank mentality is  doh.gif

I wont care how "poor" is the bank that i use, as long they can provide what i need [not money lending] , that is it that I want
With so many basic banking things can be done online or through automated teller machines, there is less need to go to an actual branch these days.

Maybank has got to be one of the most hated banks in Malaysia. However, many people still use it for general transaction banking due to the wide availability of ATM. This is a good reason why anyone living in China would prefer to have a bank account in one of the largest Chinese banks. It's all about convenience really.

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 18 2013, 10:55 PM)
Not only Citi likes me, all the banks I go the people (tellers and officers) are good to me because I nice guy and I bodek (nice hair, nice nails, leng chai, etc) them, hahaha. My Citi Personal Banker better still, he go get coffee from CitiGold hall for me and we smoke together, hahaha
I do not know who your Citi Personal Banker is but from what you said here, i can be certain that he is a guy which good 'ngan kwong' (cantonese). He knows your financial background already and while you may never buy any Citi products from him, he knows that he must treat you well because you must know many rich people and you can put in good words for him and you may introduce him to your friends. Wah, this Citi Personal Banker definitely has a bright future thumbup.gif

But you better ask my sifu Miles, he expert in getting cash around the world.
Not really lah. I have done it a few times only and i have done it only at those banks/places i do not have to pay any fee such as Maybank (in Singapore), HSBC (in Hong Kong, Beijing etc.). I am the kind of people who is not willing to pay any overseas ATM cash withdrawal fee laugh.gif Three years ago i texted my dad from Singapore asking him to deposit money to my HSBC Malaysia account as i was running out of cash in Singapore. At that time i only had my HSBC MY ATM card and also Maybank VISA debit card. I do have money in my Maybank account but the thing is, Maybank hadn't started to offer free overseas ATM cash withdrawal to us Malaysian Maybank account holder at their overseas ATM in 2010. Anyway, my dad happened to be somewhere near to HSBC Jalan Ipoh branch when he received my text. So it wasn't too troublesome for him also lah biggrin.gif

Actually, most cards have fees. If the card does not have fees, it means there are other "hidden" charges like overseas conversion admin fee like credit cards.
Yeah unfortunately that is true. When i withdrew a few hundred RMB through an HSBC off-site ATM in Beijing using my HSBC Malaysia ATM card, there was this message on the HSBC China ATM screen saying that HSBC China will charge me 1% (or 1.25% fee??). But since the amount i withdrew wasn't big, it was still a lot cheaper than to pay RM10 to RM12 if i were to withdraw the money through Cirrus or PLUS network.

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 19 2013, 12:12 AM)
change my current Maybank yellow-black ATM card to Maybank Debit Card (only for ATM feature, will ask Maybank to disable purchase feature).

That means I will still need to settle another thing which is to change my Maybank ATM card. laugh.gif But luckily there is one branch opposite of my office, easily accessible, hopefully they will disable purchase (debit) feature for me and have the Superman card. laugh.gif
I must say that many Maybank employees do not know their own bank's products well. So just in case they show you a blank face about disabling the purchase function of your VISA debit card, you can do it yourself via the Maybank ATM.

This post has been edited by MilesAndMore: Oct 20 2013, 09:24 PM
MilesAndMore
post Oct 20 2013, 09:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 20 2013, 09:31 PM)
Mind to let me know how to disable that via Maybank ATM in case I really meet some non-knowledgeable staffs? notworthy.gif
Aiks, i forgot the steps already... sweat.gif

MilesAndMore
post Oct 20 2013, 10:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 20 2013, 09:51 PM)
It's OK, will explore when the ATM is empty. laugh.gif
Hopefully they can accommodate into my requests from the counter. tongue.gif

By the way, I asked this question earlier: "Is it normal for this UnionPay card not to have any CVV? Or CVV doesn't apply for debit cards?"
I just checked my HSBC Hong Kong Unionpay ATM card and it doesn't have a CVV. But then that is just a normal ATM card under the Unionpay network.

MilesAndMore
post Oct 26 2013, 09:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 21 2013, 12:01 AM)
Who says MBB is the most hated bank in Malaysia?
Many people hate them for their slow counter service and badly managed ATM. Or so i heard from those i know biggrin.gif

As far as I am concerned, it is the best and most generous bank in Malaysia because I get the most returns from them whenever I use their FREE credit cards  tongue.gif
Well, true also tongue.gif

Sifu MilesAndMore, watch out for my upcoming article titled China Mission and Armed with Debit Card for Cash Withdrawal in couple days time. It's my first action thriller article in format similar to 24 HOURS and it's a true story based on postings here  smile.gif
I saw that you posted that a few days ago. Haven't had the time to read it yet sweat.gif

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 26 2013, 09:06 PM)
I already called SCB to check out the requirements and the guy suggested me to apply for JustOne Personal Account: http://www.standardchartered.com.my/save/s...e-personal.html

Apparently only needed RM 20.00 to open one and no other income documents are needed. I have just applied one using online, somebody will call me in 3 working days. I have put in my preferred branch is in Port Dickson.
Standard Chartered Bank has been heavily promoting this account since last year. And there is no minimum deposit to open this account actually. This account comes with many benefits, so make sure you go through its T&C as it may benefits you greatly.

I don't have time to visit Citibank unfortunately, looks like SCB is a better choice for me. Hopefully no hiccup there.
I'm fairly positive you won't face any problem to open a savings account at Standard Chartered Bank.

Next up, changing my old Maybank ATM card to new debit card that allows me to withdraw using Plus network.
You need to pay RM12 to change it, just to let you know.
MilesAndMore
post Oct 26 2013, 09:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 26 2013, 09:41 PM)
Unfortunately, she said Superman and Manchester United debit card may already finish, so I will need to walk in to the nearest branch myself. Cherry card is widely available. doh.gif
Aiya! I was thinking to get the Superman VISA debit card too but kept postponing it doh.gif

The findings for Maybank Debit:
1) Can set my purchasing limit to 0, so this indirectly disables my debit purchase.
Yeah, i think this is how you do it. All i remember is that you can disable it but i couldn't recall the exact steps to do it on their ATM biggrin.gif

The findings for Maybank Debit:
3) PLUS or Cirrus
Yes. If they issue you the Cherry VISA, it will be on PLUS network. If it is the Cherry MasterCard Platinum, it will be on Cirrus network.

Well, all the best to you thumbup.gif
MilesAndMore
post Nov 5 2013, 12:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 26 2013, 10:15 PM)
To tell you the truth, no difference if you open SCB or not. You only get either PLUS or Cirrus.
Come to think of it, yes. You are right.

Initially i was suggesting HSBC or Citibank to fruitie because HSBC only charge RM5 for every overseas HSBC ATM cash withdrawal instead of the usual RM12 that most other banks charge. This way she can save some overseas ATM cash withdrawal fee.

Now go check behind of your CIMB and PBB debit cards (or ATM cards) and see if they got cirrus or not. Then call CS and ask them need to activate for overseas cash withdrawal and the fees? If necessary go get MBB Cirrus and Plus logo.
Just checked mine. The CIMB ones (both the debit MasterCard and normal ATM card) come with Cirrus logo while Public Bank Day2Day VISA debit card comes with Plus. The old normal Public Bank ATM card (the red and blue ones) has neither logo.

Better you check SCB Just One account T&C and check if any fees applies. You DO NOT need to open Just One account. SCB also has normal savings account which comes with Debit Card - I used to have their Priority Banking Debit Card for like 3 months, haha and it was linked to a normal savings account.
This Standard Chartered JustOne Account is better than all of their other savings account types and is fee-free. They will even refund the fee charged from local ATM cash withdrawal provided you fulfill the monthly deposit requirement brows.gif

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 26 2013, 10:20 PM)
SCB is because it is in my hometown and is an international bank. thumbup.gif
I was asking about the basic account but he said these days they only issue JustOne account which is much better. At least not as arrogant as HSBC. sleep.gif
Yes. JustOne is the best account type that Standard Chartered offers now thumbup.gif

QUOTE(Gen-X @ Oct 26 2013, 10:32 PM)
Sifu, you forever busy flying here and there and I really admire you because you take the trouble to post even when you half way round the world  tongue.gif
laugh.gif It has since become a habit of mine to come to this site whenever i'm online regardless where i am. There is however one big problem with the Chrome browser on my iPad which sometimes the tab which contained the lengthy reply i had already typed was automatically refreshed and all work was gone doh.gif vmad.gif

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 30 2013, 05:18 PM)
Oh ya, haven't changed my Maybank ATM to new debit card yet. tongue.gif
Good to learn everything went well with Standard Chartered.

So, have you got your Superman VISA debit card yet ? biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by MilesAndMore: Nov 5 2013, 12:35 PM
MilesAndMore
post Nov 5 2013, 04:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Nov 5 2013, 12:40 PM)
I have changed my Maybank card but unfortunately it doesn't have Superman card anymore.... sad.gif I got the MU instead. biggrin.gif
I had the MU VISA last time. The design isn't bad biggrin.gif

Anyway, all the best to you in China tongue.gif

MilesAndMore
post Nov 5 2013, 06:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
9,290 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Nov 5 2013, 04:46 PM)
I'm sure I'll because I'll be staying here for 60 nights: http://www.east-beijing.com/en/default.aspx
So, I think I will enjoy myself there. laugh.gif
Woah! That's a very very nice new property rclxms.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0176sec    0.71    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:35 AM