Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Using CIMB ATM Card Overseas, Activated...but which ATMs can use?

views

Gen-X
post Oct 12 2013, 03:53 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 12 2013, 03:31 AM)
Thanks for the link. notworthy.gif Helps me a lot.
If you don't mind, can you please help me on the issue I posted here as well: https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=63573118
Since I know you are so proficient in all these things. notworthy.gif
Miles&More has helped to reply, if you know also much appreciated on your inputs. notworthy.gif
fruitie

Okay, I am here, like I mentioned in OCBC Thread, check out Bank of China UnionPay card. It is a debit card and you can get one in Malaysia.

Link below for their branches:

http://www.bankofchina.com/my/en/aboutus/ab3/

Besides HSBC as Miles mentioned, you can also go open a Citibank Account locally (RM10) and then you have two choices to transfer money to China since it looks like there are many Citibank branches in Beijing and Shanghai.

1. Open Citibank Account in China and then perform Global Transfer online where funds are transferred immediately (max USD12K/day), i.e. you click transfer in your Malaysia Account and the amount will show up instantly in your China Citi acct. Confirmed here China in the list for Citi Online Global transfer.

2. Use your Citi Bank Debit Card and withdraw from Citibank ATMs in China.

In my article Melbourne Victoria Australia, I showed that I got better conversion rate with Citi Global Transfer compared to withdrawing cash at Citi ATM.

But I still think better choice is going with Bank of China UnionPay where you can easily access to your cash. Go check your M2U and see if you can transfer (giro) to Bank of China Malaysia. Come to think of it, be kiasu like me - go open savings account with HSBC, Citibank and BOC here and get their debit cards (and you can always transfer from your MBB account into these savings accounts).

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 12 2013, 04:26 AM
Gen-X
post Oct 12 2013, 04:26 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 12 2013, 04:05 AM)
Thanks a lot for your input! I didn't know about the UnionPay card until you highlighted just now. Definitely need to apply one in BoC. At least it solves most of my issues there but still need to be prepared with situations where only cash is accepted. Will check out GIRO transfer, I believe Maybank should have for BoC. laugh.gif

I'm not too sure if they will allow me to open a bank account there when I don't have any source of income from their country. hmm.gif That's why I thought of opening one in Malaysia just in case I'm stuck there.

I'm going to be kiasu as well and open an account in Citi and HSBC. Since I will be in BoC to apply for UnionPay, will check out their banking service as well. Man, this trip is driving me crazy. rclxub.gif
If you go google UnionPay, it says that there are 5 million ATM accepting them!!! I guess you won't have any problems withdrawing cash in China with UnionPay Card. And by the way, I was in SG ION Orchard and not mistaken they have lounge for UnionPay customers (not sure what card only entitles one to enter) there!!!

Well, if you cannot open savings account in China, with the 3 debit cards, I suppose you will have no problems getting cash from ATMs. tongue.gif

Gen-X
post Oct 12 2013, 12:57 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 12 2013, 04:35 AM)
Great help! notworthy.gif
I checked through Citibank's Global Transfer, it seems for China is only applicable for non-Renminbi accounts. So, it means to open a Citibank account in China is totally out of question now. Will definitely need to open one here, and transfer via M2U Giro. laugh.gif
Yes, you are right, if I still can't survive with those 3 cards there, I think will inform my boss, I want to cancel my assignment and come back Malaysia. laugh.gif

By the way, back to the UnionPay, the link you showed earlier in OCBC thread. It seems that it has two types: Great Wall Travel Prepaid Card (“GWTPC”) and Great Wall Prepaid Card (“GWPPC”). For GWTPC, one of the clauses mentions this: GWTPC can only be used for purchasing, no ATM withdrawal allowed. Please treat your card like cash.
-It seems this card cannot be used for ATM withdrawal. hmm.gif

But GWPPC didn't mention anything about that, maybe GWPPC is the one I should apply. smile.gif

Add on: Bank of China is not in Maybank's Giro list. Surprised to know there is another bank called Industrial & Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) which is in GIRO list for Maybank and Citibank. Haven't checked out for HSBC yet.
It also has UnionPay: http://www.icbc.com.cn/icbc/%E6%B5%B7%E5%A...ard/default.htm

Will check out more after I catch some sleep. rclxub.gif
If you do not want the assignment, please recommend me to your boss, I don't mind 3 months contract smile.gif

I guess you answered yourself which BOC Debit card to get.

But like you said, better option to get ICBC Union Pay Debit Card as can transfer fund with M2U. So now you can add another Debit Card to your collection tongue.gif And then write a review of using them in China as a guest columnist in my blog, hahahahaha And if you getting the ICBC Debit Card, might as get their credit card too sweat.gif

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 12 2013, 01:01 PM
Gen-X
post Oct 14 2013, 04:53 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 14 2013, 04:19 PM)
MilesAndMore and Gen-X, an update on my case since I took leave today with the hope that I could open either Citibank or HSBC account in Seremban since I'm back here.

I just got to know Citibank has no branch in Seremban. doh.gif Then no choice went to HSBC and they didn't allow me to open a basic account with them. I can only open if I invest in their education or insurance plan. doh.gif I wasn't too happy about that and I said I made a call to their CS yesterday and was told this is possible. Then the officer started asking me which company I work for and etc. I showed him my business card and the company I'm working for is a very renowned MNC. He took my business card and spoke to his superior, he came back with the same answer but I'm allowed to open HSBC Advance Current Account. I will need to maintain RM 20k balance or RM 10 will be deducted from account every month. doh.gif To open it I need RM 500. If I refused to accept this offer, I will need to tie to education or insurance plan in order for me to open savings account with them.

I stood up and said thank you, I'm not interested. sleep.gif
hahaha, why you never check if Citi got branch in Seremban. As for HSBC, only MilesAndMore likes them (JK sifu Miles)i whereas I don't have any HSBC banking accounts since they don't offer any FD promos to existing customers. But I got a HSBC Australia Debit card with my Transaction Account (no interest acct) and it has less than AUD10 in it, hahaha.

And maybe you should go complain with BNM and say that HSBC has this stupid policy where one needs to have some investment plan with them to open a normal Savings Account. This is too much, it's like blackmail, yes, go make complain, I support you tongue.gif

I can confirm here and now that Citibank no need purchase any investment plan to sign up for a Savings Account. All you have to do is deposit very nominal sum (I think my daughter's account has less than RM15 in it) and you'll be issued the Citibank Debit Card on the spot. Now, now, all their Debit cards' 16 digit numbers are pre-embossed (more like printed) , so if you like can be extra nice to the person issuing the card (example, wah you hair very nice or nice watch you got there or if he's a guy, call him leng chai), he/she might just let you choose the number you like thumbup.gif As you know I am a freaking nice person, so I got to choose Citi debit card numbers for my wife, son, daughter and myself, hahahaha.

Wednesday go to ICBC and Citi to open their Savings Account. Both have branches in KL and Puchong (check their website for branches location).

On by the way, don't forget, if you wish to give up your China assignment, please recommend me to your boss to replace you. And since you going to China, maybe you should recommend to Admin that I stand in for you here as staff until you get back nod.gif

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 14 2013, 05:13 PM
Gen-X
post Oct 14 2013, 05:37 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 14 2013, 05:28 PM)
I checked and there was an address who knows it is a fake address. Well, fair to say the information wasn't from Citibank's site. tongue.gif

I called Citibank and they need employment confirmation letter and 3-month payslip. rclxub.gif But they said they could accept business card as well if I don't have confirmation letter. However, still up to their management's discretion to allow me to open or not. I cannot imagine that opening a savings account in foreign bank can be so tedious....

I'm going to Citibank Jalan Ampang and ICBC KL near to KLCC... Maybe Thursday or Friday, Wednesday is very busy as I'm not working since last Friday. tongue.gif
If I still cannot solve this issue, looks like I will need to give up on this assignment...

laugh.gif at the bold part.
Fake Citi adress, hahahaha

Oh yes, opening a Citi Account really time consuming, can take up to 1 hour or more. Foreign banks like Citi has to be careful because US government suka suka can fine banks for this and that.

But once you open a Citi banking account, next time easy to open another account as all your info in their system. But, I must warn you, never deposit your money with Citibank FD/Term Deposit. Click here to read my article Privilege Premier Priority where I mentioned a Citi customer called Citibank - Shittybank, because she could not withdraw her FD as no personal banker was around!!!

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 14 2013, 05:41 PM
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 12:08 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 14 2013, 10:45 PM)
By the way, good find on the ICBC Malaysia credit card. Did not know ICBC Malaysia has already ventured out to the credit card business here!

So i see they have not done away with such policy yet! I was told the same thing by their Citibank online support staff. However, a friend of mine went to open a CitiGold account a few years ago during the time they had this 5% Time Deposit promotion and he did not have to supply his employment letter and 3-month payslip.

Yeah, i can't imagine not one personal banker is around during banking hours in a global bank like Citibank!   doh.gif
I can sense that somebody here is going to get the ICBC credit card tongue.gif

When I signed up for CitiGold account for the 5% Savings Account promo 2+ years back, I was already unemployed and when the Personal Banker asked for the name of my current company it was a problem. But I used to have Citi credit cards which I had terminated and in their records it still showed I was employed by the very first company I had worked for more than 20 years ago!!! So the personal banker if not mistaken just key in own business. Then the personal banker asked me source of money,I was like huh? And you'll be surprised what he keyed in, too bad I am not disclosing it tongue.gif My wife also sign up for the CitiGold Account and for her Citibank accepted housewife when it came to the employment question. Not only that, Citi issued my wife the PremierMiles Visa Signature and has been offering to increase her CL recently when their records shows she is a housewife!!! After the 5% promo (3 months), I closed the CitiGold Accounts because I thought later if Citi has a savings promo again I can be eligible for it after 6 months. But since then their promos are tied to investment plans so never sign up for CitiGold account again. And when I sign up for the CitiGold, I once again sign up for their Plat credit card and have been holding it since then (Citi very good to me, I wanted to cancel the Plat after a year because I did not like the 16 digit number and they issued me a new card with a different number, hahaha).

Yeah, it is really shocking that one cannot withdraw his own money from the bank (because there is no personal banker around)!!! Even in Melbourne, Citibank most of the time only has 1 teller, and if she goes for her lunch break, you cannot withdraw or deposit a single sen!!! And every time she will ask me the source of the cheque I'm banking in sweat.gif Opening account in Melbourne also may need to wait like hell if their Personal Banker is busy attending to someone else. But once Citi accounts are up and running, Citi is great, I click on the mouse and my money is transferred instantly from my Citi Malaysia Savings Acct to my Citi Australia Acct ( and can go immediately use my Citi Oz Debit Card).

And sifu Miles. I know this will interest you even tho it is OT. Only couple months bank Commonwealth Bank introduced the very first Cash Deposit Machine in Melbourne located at their new "teller-less" branch at QV. I tell you, Australia banks are like 10 years behind us. And I think they will never have the Cheque Deposit Machine like we do here because hardly anyone uses personal cheque in Australia. My younger cousins who have been working there for years don't have a cheque book, where as I an unemployed old timer has cheque book from Citibank.

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 14 2013, 10:54 PM)
Oh God, looks like I'll face another round of obstacle in Citibank. doh.gif I don't think I will be eligible for CitiGold, I just want a normal basic savings account. So difficult meh? cry.gif
No need CitiGold to have Citi Savings Account. Both my son and daughter are students and they have their own Citi Savings Account. The thing is this, the person who is opening your Citibank account is a Personal Banker and his main income is from selling Citi products to their customers besides having a monthly quota of RMx deposit (I can't remember the exact amount). So yes, they prefer if the customer sign up for CitiGold status BUT it is still part of their service to open new account for other customers who are not into CitiGold.

But like Miles said, better go early and experience their wonderful global service tongue.gif

Come to thing of it, better you go to ICBC and get your account up and running and if got time only go to Citi because I feel the ICBC card would be adequate for your China assignment. Citi only as backup and may not even be necessary as zenquix mentioned, we still can withdraw cash with our local bank Visa or MasterCard Debit Card that has the Cirrus or Plus logo.

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 15 2013, 12:46 AM
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 12:14 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 12:12 AM)
Yeah, I hope they will consider and let me open one for backup. My priority is ICBC. sweat.gif I hope it is smooth over there. laugh.gif
The problem is I will need to get bank to reset my password as I don't bother to keep those passwords. laugh.gif

Shall update here on my journey of opening savings accounts in foreign banks. biggrin.gif
Made a typo, don't use credit card to withdraw cash. I edited my earlier post, should be read as our local bank DEBIT card with the Cirrus and Plus logo.

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 15 2013, 12:14 AM
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 12:31 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 12:16 AM)
Oh yes, if debit card sounds much better. biggrin.gif
Credit card a big no to me. laugh.gif

I have no debit card yet, even my Maybank card is the old ATM. blush.gif
Maybe I will just need to change it for future proof. laugh.gif
Most of our local bank debit cards have Plus or Cirrus logo.

UOB Debit Card MasterCard has Cirrus logo and I have used it in US where the conversion rate is the same as spot rate but every withdrawal will cost me RM12. And UOB debit card got a daily limit of RM1K only!!!

My MBB Platinum Debit MasterCard has the Cirrus logo too. Can't remember what is my daily withdrawal limit. Actually I don't even remember the password, hahaha. I got it because I wanted the Maybank Online Savings Account that pays reasonable interest rate for amount above RM2K. Go check what fee is imposed for overseas withdrawal.

My RHB Debit MasterCard useless as only got BankCard logo, can't withdraw a sen with it when I was in USA. But my RHB Premier Visa Debit Card got Plus logo. So I guess RHB out.

My Alliance Bank MasterCard Debit Card has the Cirrus logo. Never used it overseas so got no idea if any fee.

My local Citibank Visa Debit Card has the Plus logo. Also check with Citibank how much it will cost you per withdrawal (even with Citi ATM in China). Citibank told me no charges if I withdraw from Citi ATM, well guess what, I was charged RM10 per withdrawal when I used it in Melbourne Citibank Chinatown ATM.

Conclusion - firstly go get a MBB MasterCard Debit Card that has Cirrus logo and another Debit Card that has Plus logo (e.g. Citibank).
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 12:51 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 12:35 AM)
Man, you are awesome! Truly guru in all types of cards. laugh.gif

I remember that and I have that account as well. tongue.gif

Ya, Citibank also told me free unlimited, thanks for the heads-up. biggrin.gif
oh, I forgot, you must go get the coolest Debit Card on Planet Earth where I believe it should have the Plus logo and this card will be accepted even if your company sent you on a intergalactic assignment laugh.gif

user posted image
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 01:00 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 12:56 AM)
I wanted the Superman Maybank card. laugh.gif
Sorry, quick and noob question... Since Debit Card directly deducts from my bank account balance... How to ensure that if I lost my card today and somebody picks it up, will this person able to swipe anything and deduct from my balance? Any security measurement will be applied before any charges can be charged to debit card? I know if credit card, will need to block card and raise dispute but at least it is a credit card, so no actual payment is deducted from me yet...

Apologies for this stupid question because I only have normal ATM and credit cards. blush.gif
The beauty of a Debit Card is that you can control your damage, i.e. only deposit the amount you need into the account that is linked to the card. Not sure for China but it Australia we need to key in the PIN number when using Debit Card to pay for stuff at outlets; however, recently at Woolworths (one of the 2 biggest supermarket in Oz) one do not need to key in the PIN if amount less than AUD30.

Just like credit cards, guard your debit cards with your life tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 15 2013, 01:02 AM
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 01:10 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 01:03 AM)
sweat.gif Pretty dangerous isn't it if I lost the card? sweat.gif
hmm.gif Maybe I will need to open a new Maybank savings account and just use it for debit card purpose.
Yes, I think that is best. Go open new MBB Savings Acct (in another branch) and get another Debit Card.

ICBC UnionPay Debit Card.

Citibank Visa Debit Card with Plus Logo - new Savings Acct nominal amount to open. Just go deposit RM50 when the Personal Banker ask you how much you want deposit. Say you will transfer later from M2U.

Hong Leong Bank Transformer Visa Debit Card with Plus Logo - new Savings Acct with RM1K deposit but you can withdraw next day I believe but must maintain RM10 but better you check with them, I might be wrong here.

UOB MasterCard with Cirrus Logo - New Savings Accout with RM450 deposit I think but can go withdraw next day. This card good if lost, withdrawal limit only RM1K/day.

Transfer only the amount required from M2U account to the above related Savings Acct.

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 15 2013, 01:14 AM
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 01:16 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 01:13 AM)
Good points and well noted. smile.gif
Then, I don't need to get a Maybank Debit Card yet since it is my main bank, I really don't want to risk it for unnecessary risky things. sweat.gif
Just let it use for ATM and Giro purpose only. sweat.gif

Looks like it is Citibank and UOB now since I will get Plus and Cirrus. Of course ICBC for UnionPay.
Anymore other choices besides UOB For Cirrus?
I just edited my earlier post. Open MBB account at another branch and get a new debit card. Maybe open a joint account where the first name is not yours? MBB is MasterCard so it should be Cirrus.

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 15 2013, 01:17 AM
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 01:30 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 01:22 AM)
Actually besides for Cirrus, what could be the reason I should go for Maybank Debit Card? Assuming if I don't want to open any joint account for the trouble and also there is a risk of my bank account could be exploited? For any other convenience?
None.

I guess you got no reasons now for not accepting the China assignment since your concern in respect to access to cash there is solved with you having debit cards from our local incorporated banks. There goes my chance to replace you for the China assignment but it is getting brighter for me to stand in for you here, hahahahaha

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 15 2013, 01:31 AM
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 01:38 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 01:36 AM)
laugh.gif Let's see how it goes, I have been really unlucky with all these applications lately.
My plan:
1) Open savings account in ICBC to get their debit card that comes with UnionPay
2) Open savings account in Citibank to get their debit card that comes with Plus
3) Open savings account in UOB to get their debit card that comes with Cirrus (optional if I'm not too busy laugh.gif)
4) Status quo for my Maybank, let it continue in ATM now, not changing it to debit card. laugh.gif

I guess with my plan, I hope I can execute whatever I intended in China with no interruption. I shall report here for updates.
And don't forget, you still got your OCBC and MBB 2 Cards. And if really really in deep shit, call your boss.

And also after you are back, you are invited as a guest columnist at my blog wink.gif

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 15 2013, 01:39 AM
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 01:46 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 01:40 AM)
Yes, and I still have company's supplied Citibank corporate credit card as well. blush.gif
And the not in use Stan Chart (for their cash back sake). laugh.gif

laugh.gif Ok, if I'm not too lazy. Man, this thing is really forcing me to do a lot of research on cards. sweat.gif
Sis, now that you mentioned you got Citibank corporate credit card, that means Citibank got your personal info in their system? If yes, I foresee that you opening the Citi Savings Account without any hassle.

Good luck and have fun in China.
Gen-X
post Oct 15 2013, 11:56 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 15 2013, 01:52 AM)
Yes, they have my information in their system and I'm also the Program Administrator for my company. smile.gif
Thanks a lot and sorry for nagging you for days for this issue. notworthy.gif
It is always a pleasure discussing stuff with another fellow kiasu bro/sis, better still if with a kiasi person, can learn more, haha. And I did learned a thing or two last two days from the above postings.
Gen-X
post Oct 18 2013, 10:55 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 15 2013, 11:26 PM)
Born rich   laugh.gif
Man... Citibank really does like you and your family members very much! 

there are 24 automated machines in HSBC Mongkok HQ on the lower ground level (10x ATM, 8x CDM and 6x ChequeDM)

Another proof that you know me well 

You can actually disable the VISA purchase function through Maybank ATM. Mine for instance, has been disabled since i got mine from Day 1   smile.gif    This way it'll be just like a normal ATM card. Even after you have disabled the VISA purchase function, all you need to make sure is that you have activated your card for overseas ATM usage over any Maybank ATM and you will be able to use the card to withdraw cash at overseas ATM.
MBB issues both VISA debit card and debit MasterCard.

hahaha, next time I use the "born rich" thingy when people ask me source of my fund.

24 ATM!!! I also will be blur, hahaha

Not only Citi likes me, all the banks I go the people (tellers and officers) are good to me because I nice guy and I bodek (nice hair, nice nails, leng chai, etc) them, hahaha. My Citi Personal Banker better still, he go get coffee from CitiGold hall for me and we smoke together, hahaha

You my sifu sure lah I know you well.

And as for the MBB ATM can disable the Visa function, see, I learned another thing from you smile.gif

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 18 2013, 05:03 PM)
Gen-X and MilesAndMore, I just came back from ICBC KL... Struck with series of unfortunate events again.

The chronicles:
1) I called their CS (half an hour) before went over to their KL branch and was told to open a basic savings account only needs RM 20.
2) I reached there, the bank officers told me I will need RM 500 to open one. doh.gif RM 20 is super basic that cannot be used in overseas. Quickly went over to Affin Bank ATM to withdraw money.
3) Managed to open ICBC account and I asked about the transactions fees  if I withdraw using their ATMs in China. It costs a whopping RMB 25 per transaction! shocking.gif mad.gif
4) Gulps. Still I will need one local bank account, I have no choice but to accept. Asked about GIRO from Maybank2U, can perform but to MYR bank account. Then, I will need to login to ICBC Online to convert MYR to RMB and put into my ICBC RMB account.
5) The RM 500 I used to open account just now was converted to RMB already but only RM 490 as RM 10 is the minimum I need to retain in MYR account. Luckily today's rate is not too bad...
6) They gave me a manual how to register online personal banking account together with USB cable and TAC token. Apparently, I will need to install some certificates in my computers. sweat.gif
7) So now, I have the debit card and passbook.
8) Came back to office and asked my finance team, they said company will compensate the RMB 25 back to me. I just need to inform my boss about this and I can get back all the service charges that I will be charged... Still not too bad, luckily.

Then, I looked at my watch, still early... I decided to just walk-in to Menara Citibank to check out their savings account. I didn't bring any documents except for my I.C. tongue.gif However, the officer said their system is down today and I will need to bring other documents (payslip and employment confirmation letter) in next week. She confirmed I'll only need RM 20 to open one and can get immediately.

OK, part 2 next week. laugh.gif
Thank you for reporting, I shall keep track of your progress and if you don't mind, I shall narrate your "story" of hunting for a card to withdraw cash in China in my blog, I am sure I can come out with a freaking long article to benefit others, hahaha

What company you working for that they so kind to reimburse you RMB25, I need a job and your company sounds like the place to be, haha

Actually, most cards have fees. If the card does not have fees, it means there are other "hidden" charges like overseas conversion admin fee like credit cards. Like I mentioned earlier, when I withdraw cash with my UOB debit card in US, the conversion rate was spot rate but they charge me RM12 per withdrawal. As for Citibank, suppose not to have fee when I withdraw at their ATMs but I was charged RM10 in Melbourne and not only that, in my article Melbourne Victoria Australia, I showed you that the conversion rate using my Citibank Debit Card at Citibank ATM was higher than using Global Transfer (i.e. from my Citi Malaysia Savings Acct to Citi Australia Bank Acct).

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 18 2013, 08:43 PM)
Gen-X how to know if the debit card can be used for cash withdrawal? Does it have anything that shows it can? Normal ATM cards have MEPS and etc. All I can see from this card has Debit Card wording and UnionPay logo. The officer said I can withdraw money and I signed a lot of documents, one of them did mention "Cirrus". Hmm. Now just checked back on my card no such logo.
Yes, as long as the ATM machine has Union Pay logo, you can go use your new Union Pay card to withdraw cash. Some outlets and Chinese restaurants in Malaysia also accept UnionPay where you can use your card.

Look behind your Visa Debit Card, if it has the PLUS logo then you can go to anywhere on earth to withdraw money from ATM with PLUS logo. For MasterCard Debit Card it is the Cirrus logo. Next time you walk past ATM machines, keep a look out for the UnionPay, PLUS and Cirrus logos.

Our credit cards also has the PLUS and Cirrus logo. I just check, my OCBC Titanium MasterCard and HLB Plat MasterCard no Cirrus logo, haha. But my CIMB WMC has it. All my Visa credit cards have the PLUS logo. But you and I know that it is not smart to go withdraw cash with our credit cards wink.gif

But you better ask my sifu Miles, he expert in getting cash around the world.

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 18 2013, 11:21 PM
Gen-X
post Oct 19 2013, 12:42 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 18 2013, 11:47 PM)
Sure, go ahead and do a summary. This is just the beginning of my nightmare and luckily I'm still in Malaysia. God knows what will happen to me when I'm there. laugh.gif Chapter 1 in Malaysia and Chapter 2 a.k.a. finale in China. laugh.gif

Yeah la, I'm going for business trips not some leisure trips though it is impossible to track the cash withdrawal is for my own usage or business expenses. I was honest with the finance team. laugh.gif Luckily my Finance team has really nice people, they said they won't further drill in so long my boss approves this part. So, I will talk to my boss and I see no problem in this case. 100% he will agree to absorb this cost to his cost centre. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the heads-up, so I can safely say mine comes with ATM feature though it doesn't have Cirrus logo. The card's quality felt cheapskate in my hands though. laugh.gif

OK, just had another part 1.1 nightmare. Their e-banking! I already installed the token into my laptop and all my browsers are too advanced for their service. Chrome and FF were few versions behind mine. sweat.gif I tried IE and it works, luckily. Mine is IE9 but they actually recommended IE 6-8. I was like WHAT?! But at least it can login not like Chrome an FF which I can't proceed at all.

Happily keyed in my card no. and the logon password which I set at the counter this afternoon and some verification code, bam! "Your card or a/c is not registered for this service." Keyed in the God-damn-long 19-digit of account number and same error. Luckily I can change to my preferred user name later rather than remembering so many numbers in my head. If I cannot login that means I still cannot install all the necessary certs.

Called their CS (she was polite but I was really angry, I felt sorry for her now because I really threw my temper to her lol), she said could be my card hasn't registered yet for e-banking. I nearly fainted when I heard that because she asked me to go back to ICBC KL which I refused and insisted this to be fixed over the phone. However, once she knew that I have the token with me, that means ICBC KL knows that I will need e-banking and they will definitely register for me (sounds logical). She asked me to wait till tomorrow to try again. To be honest, deep in my heart I know this is not going to be fixed on tomorrow as well. I had no choice but to accept her suggestion. So, another foreseeable part 1.2 nightmare tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Fix tomorrow? ICBC staff at the branch you open account working? haha.

And thank you for the permission to tell your story/nightmare to the world biggrin.gif I will stress that HSBC is blackmailing people into getting their insurance plan or investment plan in order to open their regular savings account, hahahaha.

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 19 2013, 12:12 AM)
Anyway, despite all the hassles but I really learnt a lot and it has greatly taught me what patience really means to me. laugh.gif I still believe that everything will be fine very soon. nod.gif
Everything better work out fine after all the trouble I spent typing here, hahahaha

And knowing now that you a kiasu person like me, I going to make you worry - It is the universal law called Murphy's Law which has been proven time and time again that this law follows kiasu people wherever they go:

Anything that can possibly go wrong, does. If anything can go wrong, it will.

Sometimes shit happens, so I guess you better bring along cash in RMB currency equivalent to just below USD10K (or else you need to declare to our customs when you depart). Better also check on China part how much cash you can bring in.

And make sure you got your boss home, mobile, spouse/partner contact number so that you can reach him/her 24/7 smile.gif

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 19 2013, 12:44 AM
Gen-X
post Oct 21 2013, 12:01 AM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(MilesAndMore @ Oct 20 2013, 09:23 PM)
Maybank has got to be one of the most hated banks in Malaysia. However, many people still use it for general transaction banking due to the wide availability of ATM.

I do not know who your Citi Personal Banker is but from what you said here, i can be certain that he is a guy which good 'ngan kwong' (cantonese). He knows your financial background already and while you may never buy any Citi products from him, he knows that he must treat you well because you must know many rich people and you can put in good words for him and you may introduce him to your friends. Wah, this Citi Personal Banker definitely has a bright future  thumbup.gif

Yeah unfortunately that is true. When i withdrew a few hundred RMB through an HSBC off-site ATM in Beijing using my HSBC Malaysia ATM card, there was this message on the HSBC China ATM screen saying that HSBC China will charge me 1% (or 1.25% fee??). But since the amount i withdrew wasn't big, it was still a lot cheaper than to pay RM10 to RM12 if i were to withdraw the money through Cirrus or PLUS network.

Who says MBB is the most hated bank in Malaysia? As far as I am concerned, it is the best and most generous bank in Malaysia because I get the most returns from them whenever I use their FREE credit cards tongue.gif

With Automated machines and eBanking, I have not seen my Citi Personal Banker for months... no idea if he is still there or promoted. hahaha

Yah small amount 1% okay, but small amount RM12 per withdrawal imposed by UOB debit card is high! That's why I dislike my UOB, can only withdraw RM1K per day.

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 20 2013, 09:31 PM)
By the way, is it normal for this UnionPay card not to have any CVV? Or CVV doesn't apply for debit cards?
Gen-X
haha, you asking me about UnionPay? I got no clues on it. Now you the expert on UnionPay Debit Card and ICBC eBanking in LYN tongue.gif

I was in Orchard ION again couple days ago, and they have UnionPay VIP lounge at the ground floor. I wonder how I can get UnionPay VIP as it beats me walking to UOB Orchard Road to get a free snack and drink at the Privilege Banking Hall.

Sifu MilesAndMore, watch out for my upcoming article titled China Mission and Armed with Debit Card for Cash Withdrawal in couple days time. It's my first action thriller article in format similar to 24 HOURS and it's a true story based on postings here smile.gif
Gen-X
post Oct 26 2013, 10:15 PM

Lifetime LYN Member
Group Icon
Elite
8,601 posts

QUOTE(fruitie @ Oct 26 2013, 09:06 PM)
Gen-X, the level of ICBC service really pisses me off. Until today my e-banking issue is not solved and I was busy for the whole week, hence no time to follow up until today. I demanded them to call me back by next Tuesday to get this fixed, alternatively they asked me to call KL branch myself. doh.gif doh.gif

If this continues, I will not bother with their e-banking service which sadly to say I only have that RM 490.00 to withdraw there. doh.gif

I'm going for International bank now and I'm going on leave soon (yeah again) for a week, from 4th to 8th November. So, I will open a personal account with Stan Chart since I confirm it has a branch in my hometown, seen that since I was 4-5 years old. laugh.gif

I already called SCB to check out the requirements and the guy suggested me to apply for JustOne Personal Account: http://www.standardchartered.com.my/save/s...e-personal.html

Apparently only needed RM 20.00 to open one and no other income documents are needed. I have just applied one using online, somebody will call me in 3 working days. I have put in my preferred branch is in Port Dickson.

Worse comes to worst, I'll just walk in to SCB myself.

Below are the details I have checked:
1) Each overseas withdrawal will cost RM 12.00 for transaction fees
2) I will be issued with debit card that allows me to transact in Cirrus and Maestro networks.

With just RM 12.00 (I hope no more additional), I think I'm better off to withdraw using international bank. sleep.gif

I don't have time to visit Citibank unfortunately, looks like SCB is a better choice for me. Hopefully no hiccup there.

Next up, changing my old Maybank ATM card to new debit card that allows me to withdraw using Plus network.
I really pity you lah.

To tell you the truth, no difference if you open SCB or not. You only get either PLUS or Cirrus.

Now go check behind of your CIMB and PBB debit cards (or ATM cards) and see if they got cirrus or not. Then call CS and ask them need to activate for overseas cash withdrawal and the fees? If necessary go get MBB Cirrus and Plus logo.

Better you check SCB Just One account T&C and check if any fees applies. You DO NOT need to open Just One account. SCB also has normal savings account which comes with Debit Card - I used to have their Priority Banking Debit Card for like 3 months, haha and it was linked to a normal savings account.

I guess you should call ICBC KL branch since CS is like clueless on the eBanking thingy.

I tell you, the easiest just bring RMB notes equivalent up to USD10K to China and your problems solved tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Gen-X: Oct 26 2013, 10:18 PM

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0197sec    0.49    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:41 PM