The recent brutal attacks that resulted in a death of one of the victims is shameful news for all Malaysians
http://forum.channelnewsasia.com/viewtopic...&postorder=descAs reported by Straits Times
POLICE have arrested three men linked to a series of brutal slash-and-rob cases in Kallang, which left one victim dead and three seriously injured on Sunday.
The suspects,
Malaysians aged between 21 and 26, were picked up on Monday night after a 24-hour police operation that was rare in both its scale and intensity.
The more than 100 officers deployed included those from the Special Operations Command, Bedok and Central Police Divisions, the Police Intelligence Department and the Criminal Investigation Department.
The Straits Times had reported that over seven hours on Sunday, four slashing cases took place in the Kallang area between midnight and 7.30am. The victims included a 41-year-old Indian national who was found dead at an open field along Kallang Road. The injured victims, who included a teenager who lost four of his fingers, were attacked at the Pan Island Expressway near the Sims Way exit, Block 44 Sims Drive and Kallang MRT.
In a statement on Tuesday morning, the police said the modus operandi, the timing and proximity of the four incidents meant they did not rule out the possibility that they could have been committed by the same perpetrators. All four victims had been slashed and robbed. Police are now searching for four more suspects who they believe are linked to the cases.
CID director Ng Boon Gay said: 'I would like to reassure the public that the police do not tolerate such vicious and violent acts of crime. We will spare no efforts to hunt down the perpetrators and ensure that they are dealt with to the full extent of the law.'
He also commended the officers for their effort in putting a stop to the 'brutal crime spree'. Murder is punishable by the death penalty, while gang robbery with hurt attracts a maximum jail term of 20 years and at least 12 strokes of the cane.