Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
316 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Official TM UniFi High Speed Broadband Thread V37, READ 1ST PAGE FOR TURBO SPEED INFO! (Unifi)

views

biloxee
post Jan 31 2019, 11:17 PM

On my way
561 posts

QUOTE(JoBigShow @ Jan 31 2019, 10:33 PM)
So I've been Turbo'd to 800Mbps, from Unifi 50.

My setup:

BTU: Huawei-HG8240W
ROUTER: TP-Link Archer C5, firmware updated just now to most recent.
CABLE: CAT5e between BTU and router.
CONNECTION: Wired directly to PC using CAT5e cable.

Shouldn't the router be at least more capable than that? Expecting under 300mbps or whatever this router is capable of.
Anything I am missing?
Is your PC's network adapter connected ar 1Gigabit? Check...
Attached Image

I use the same Huawei-HG8240W, so assuming it is working properly at 1 Gigabit speeds, I reckon the problem lies with either one or both of your ethernet cables...

soonwai
post Jan 31 2019, 11:30 PM

8,375 posts

QUOTE(myromance123 @ Jan 31 2019, 09:19 PM)
Anyone experiencing severe download speed issues with TM Unifi right now?

Area around Melawati right now, and I'm experiencing download speeds of merely 1Mbps whilst upload  speeds are unhindered and at 200Mbps. Attached a pic of speedtest right now showing as much.
Kajang is OK. Download of 5 torrents at 10:30pm on 800Mbps.

user posted image
Each segment is 6mins in case you want to calculate the size of each torrent.

This post has been edited by soonwai: Jan 31 2019, 11:31 PM
ericpires
post Jan 31 2019, 11:32 PM

Arsenal FC
2,629 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Jan 31 2019, 11:08 PM)
netflix needs only 10mbps for HD, 25mbps for 4k.

either chromecast or y r phone issues.

Disabled IPV6, will do some testing. Just realized that this Archer 1200 from Unifi is not that good after reading so many comments sweat.gif
AVFAN
post Jan 31 2019, 11:45 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
23,048 posts

QUOTE(ericpires @ Jan 31 2019, 11:32 PM)
Disabled IPV6, will do some testing. Just realized that this Archer 1200 from Unifi is not that good after reading so many comments  sweat.gif
that router is problematic with some users, fine for others.

for testing, sure it is ok.

chances are problems poor results from either yr eqpt or cables.

yr question has been asked 10000 times here.

becos everyone assumes with 500, 800mbps work with thier eqpt... but no.

if gets worse, more questions when it comes to wifi.

do spemnd time reading first page and other related threads on the subject.
JoBigShow
post Feb 1 2019, 12:27 AM

Ω Ξ Ψ Σ Д Ӫ Ж Π ✿
969 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Jan 31 2019, 11:08 PM)
netflix needs only 10mbps for HD, 25mbps for 4k.

either chromecast or y r phone issues.
not sure about yr modem but surely NOT the router - this router can do the job.

more likely it's yr PC - do check the specs, cable used... post here - the pc experts can tell u.

also, try to borrow a new laptop, test with cat6 cable, see what results.
Thanks for clarifying the router, wasn't sure about it albeit reports it can do 300mbps.

My PC is i7 8700K with Z370 MSI Gaming M5 board.
The Ethernet speed is 1.0Gbps.
That leaves the cable, although CAT5e rated around 1000Mbps.
Will buy CAT6 cables for both the BTU>Router and Router>PC, don't have any in the household, but before that I wait for more answers, simply buying stuff isn't helpful.

Still, I'm keeping an eye on the router because this router (Archer C5 from TM) has a rep especially in this thread for being 'unreliable'. Hope it's not that, I at least want to have full capability of this router's top speed before forking RM600++ for a 1000Mbps router.

pandamerah
post Feb 1 2019, 12:37 AM

Getting Started
54 posts

QUOTE(JoBigShow @ Feb 1 2019, 12:27 AM)
The Ethernet speed is 1.0Gbps.
That leaves the cable, although CAT5e rated around 1000Mbps.
Will buy CAT6 cables for both the BTU>Router and Router>PC
Check the connection for BTU <---> Router/Direct PC.
If its not 1Gbps, your BTU was configured to 100Mbps. This you need to call TM to fix it.

JoBigShow
post Feb 1 2019, 12:43 AM

Ω Ξ Ψ Σ Д Ӫ Ж Π ✿
969 posts

QUOTE(biloxee @ Jan 31 2019, 11:17 PM)
Is your PC's network adapter connected ar 1Gigabit? Check...
Attached Image

I use the same Huawei-HG8240W, so assuming it is working properly at 1 Gigabit speeds, I reckon the problem lies with either one or both of your ethernet cables...
Thanks!

My Ethernet network is 1.0Gbps.

Will troubleshoot the cables next. It just strange though, a CAT5e cable performs like a CAT5 (100Mbps and below).
Is this common? Surely a number of people who has been upgraded still using cat5e provided by TM, meaning some of us should have reported similar issues that has become aware of?

soonwai
post Feb 1 2019, 12:49 AM

8,375 posts

QUOTE(JoBigShow @ Feb 1 2019, 12:43 AM)
Thanks!

Will troubleshoot the cables next. It just strange though, a CAT5e cable performs like a CAT5 (100Mbps and below).
Is this common? Surely a number of people who has been upgraded still using cat5e provided by TM, meaning some of us should have reported similar issues that has become aware of?
Cat5e is fine. Most will go up to 10Gbps if they're of average quality. I'm sure the ones that comes with TPLink or Huawei products are OK. They're also very short.

Did you check what pandamerah suggested?

Here's a simulation of your problem, same everything...
user posted image
...except one network port set to 100Mbps.

user posted image
...said network port set back to 1000Mbps.

This post has been edited by soonwai: Feb 1 2019, 01:24 AM
JoBigShow
post Feb 1 2019, 12:54 AM

Ω Ξ Ψ Σ Д Ӫ Ж Π ✿
969 posts

QUOTE(pandamerah @ Feb 1 2019, 12:37 AM)
Check the connection for BTU <---> Router/Direct PC.
If its not 1Gbps, your BTU was configured to 100Mbps. This you need to call TM to fix it.
This is the most likely scenario, TM hasn't call me, I've only received sms notifying about the Turbo'ed and that's about it.
I want to suspect the cables, but we should have gotten a lot of reports by now because aplenty of people still using the TM provided CAT5e cables. I got dozens unused from them, just now tried most of new cables and still the same result.

System Error Message
post Feb 1 2019, 12:57 AM

Regular
1,681 posts

QUOTE(soonwai @ Jan 31 2019, 11:30 PM)

user posted image
Even in kajang for me i cant get 800Mb/s, only 200Mb/s from various things including TM's own internal speed tests. Definitely done the tests you mentioned, i got 100Mb/s from the file server from sg you mentioned even if using 5 links, and its not the cable either.

Even steam sticks to 100Mb/s too.
JoBigShow
post Feb 1 2019, 01:02 AM

Ω Ξ Ψ Σ Д Ӫ Ж Π ✿
969 posts

QUOTE(soonwai @ Feb 1 2019, 12:49 AM)
Cat5e is fine. Most will go up to 10Gbps if they're of average quality. I'm sure the ones that comes with TPLink or Huawei products are OK. They're also very short.

Did you check what pandamerah suggested?
Thanks for the clarification on the cables.

The suggestion seems like the most probable, TM never called, just an sms notification about the Turbo.
They should've figure out that some of us would need proper update with the hardware and whatnot.

I'll report results after getting them to come over and configure the BTU, I suspect it's not just me with this setback.
soonwai
post Feb 1 2019, 01:07 AM

8,375 posts

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Feb 1 2019, 12:57 AM)
Even in kajang for me i cant get 800Mb/s, only 200Mb/s from various things including TM's own internal speed tests. Definitely done the tests you mentioned, i got 100Mb/s from the file server from sg you mentioned  even if using 5 links, and its not the cable either.

Even steam sticks to 100Mb/s too.
When it comes to you, I think it's safe to say that you know your routers and cables. :-)

Perhaps not enough capacity going into your area? You definitely should be able to max out 800Mbps to TIME's speedtest or to OVH SG.

As for TM's speedtest servers, I think they are overloaded. I get a fluctuating 500-700 from them.

QUOTE(JoBigShow @ Feb 1 2019, 01:02 AM)
Thanks for the clarification on the cables.

The suggestion seems like the most probable, TM never called, just an sms notification about the Turbo.
They should've figure out that some of us would need proper update with the hardware and whatnot.

I'll report results after getting them to come over and configure the BTU, I suspect it's not just me with this setback.
It's quite common. Fruitie had that problem. TM changed her BTU when they couldn't solve it remotely. Another forumer too but his was solved with a "port reset" or whatever it is that TM does. Let them know, I'm sure you'll be at top speed in no time at all.

This post has been edited by soonwai: Feb 1 2019, 01:25 AM
biloxee
post Feb 1 2019, 01:14 AM

On my way
561 posts

QUOTE(JoBigShow @ Feb 1 2019, 12:43 AM)
Thanks!

Use that same cable. And connect it to your Huawei BTU on one end and the other end to your PC and check if its 100Mbps or 1Gbps...

fruitie
post Feb 1 2019, 02:13 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
65,094 posts

Yes, capped BTU speed. It's quite common and I had the same problem. Lodged a case with TM and replaced mine with the latest Nokia BTU. No more issue after that.
TSSilentVampire
post Feb 1 2019, 02:18 AM

Networking Enthusiast
5,644 posts

QUOTE(chun_chet @ Jan 31 2019, 05:09 PM)
Yeah you are right, do you think i can call TM to cancel the upgrade? Alright then does it support up to 500mbps through LAN?

Damn i f-ed up. Should have read this earlier..
Not likely. TM won't cancel the upgrade now. It does support 500Mbps through LAN, so it is something at least.

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Jan 31 2019, 05:46 PM)
i've tried prolink cat6 and also amp netconnect heads, only 100Mb/s which i suspect is because of the connectors. When buying the AMP Netconnect brand, please check properly as many sellers are selling variants that only sync at 100Mb/s without giving much information about the cable or even the connector.

Ugreen is pricier but also better.

it may be better to actually quote the exact SKUs that will sync at gigabit speeds especially for those who need to do their own wiring and want to save money.
Ah, thank you for the info. Didnt know that they are that unreliable. It is weird though, some have swear by it, but I guess your results might vary.

QUOTE(Canfloat @ Jan 31 2019, 07:55 PM)
Boxes just appeared in lorong behind my place smile.gif

I'm still looking at the price points and shopping for resellers smile.gif

I should expect to get free 24h installation, 100Mbps for RM129, 1 TV package but no more STB, free router + whatever incentives the reseller offers, right? Any charges or surprises I'm missing out on?
Yes. Better to get your own router though, and keep their stock router as a backup.

QUOTE(JohnLai @ Jan 31 2019, 08:19 PM)
Just appeared?
Wait another 3 months. Maybe 4 months. yawn.gif
I agree. Talking from experience?
System Error Message
post Feb 1 2019, 02:33 AM

Regular
1,681 posts

QUOTE(SilentVampire @ Feb 1 2019, 02:18 AM)
Ah, thank you for the info. Didnt know that they are that unreliable. It is weird though, some have swear by it, but I guess your results might vary.
Its more to do with sellers not giving info so people think the cable would sync at 1Gb/s, when i look at other sellers and questions closely i then find out stuff like the connector only rated for cat5 rather than cat5e or cat6.

Other than Ugreen, i suggest going with cat6 at least when buying fully made cables as many of them over hype their rating, so a cat6 could actually just be cat5e instead, its widespread in the industry. Have to look very closely at the seller, description and Q&A not the reviews to ensure that the entire cable will sync at 1Gb/s. Have to look at various other sellers, even google search at times. The brands you mention do make good cables/connectors but they also do make crappy ones too and there are sellers that dont give any info, so have to becareful.

I just got new AMP Netconnect connectors that are supposedly rated for cat6, so i will be testing it with prolink cat6 cable. I did check the prolink cable with digital calipers, but its more towards 24 AWG then the reported 23 AWG of conductor.

The cost for a cat6 cable of CCA should be less than rm 2 per meter (including the connector and shroud) that would fulfill 10Gb/s on short distance. I have no SFP+ ethernet connectors so i cant test that, but should sync at 1Gb/s if you were to purchase a whole spool of cables, heads and shrouds if you have to wire a lot of stuff and are willing to do it yourself. Even the toolset costs around rm 30, just have to remember to push in as much of the shielding as you can and that shielded cables are unnecessary. For permanent installs though the cables should be full copper which would cost more but would hold up better. CCA is actually better if you have to keep the cables portable. It doesnt really matter what conductor is used as long as it keeps to the ethernet standards

This post has been edited by System Error Message: Feb 1 2019, 02:53 AM
System Error Message
post Feb 1 2019, 03:02 AM

Regular
1,681 posts

QUOTE(ericpires @ Jan 31 2019, 11:32 PM)
Disabled IPV6, will do some testing. Just realized that this Archer 1200 from Unifi is not that good after reading so many comments  sweat.gif
QUOTE(AVFAN @ Jan 31 2019, 11:45 PM)
that router is problematic with some users, fine for others.

for testing, sure it is ok.

chances are problems poor results from either yr eqpt or cables.

yr question has been asked 10000 times here.

becos everyone assumes with 500, 800mbps work with thier eqpt... but no.

if gets worse, more questions when it comes to wifi.

do spemnd time reading first page and other related threads on the subject.
from the above quote quoting you in regards to speeds, here are the actual encoding standards used.

720p - 2-4Mb/s
1080p - 4-12Mb/s
4k- 20-80Mb/s

Every provider will encode at different rate but these are the usual rates. 720p is actually the start of HD and hypptv encodes 1080p at 8Mb/s

4k can even go up to 100+Mb/s but thats rare. Even for blu ray you can run into bandwidth issues from usb2 if you are using a blu ray usb2 reader and thats 400Mb/s. Its really highly dependent on format as well but online providers like to save bandwidth so they will use a format and setting that uses less bandwidth but to keep as much quality as possible, the downside is that it requires more CPU power to encode/decode. Blu ray discs use CPU friendlier settings so they need more bandwidth but also add a lot more information to the video as well.

the tplink AC1200 is actually decent as a router but i only use it as wifi AP. I have tested it as a router (when they come and install), but i expect basic functionality to work (IPV4, no ipv6, using google DNS and configuring around in it), usually tplink does work well but with openWRT highly dependent on hardware version. Dlink however is the worse one, both their adapters and routers, the quality of both the hardware and firmware are questionable in so many ways that i dont want to get into it. @SilentVampire you should take note of this. Part of the reason i do not recommend dlink is that its so vulnerable that its likely your router will be a part of a zombie network that not only will attack other PCs but also could spy on you as well. This is the reason why i always recommend against any dlink product, especially their IP Cams, they make such horrible mistakes that ruin your security and privacy. They even gave away their firmware keys too.

With tplink i dont expect their more advanced features to work well but most of what the stock firmware provides usually works.

This post has been edited by System Error Message: Feb 1 2019, 03:07 AM
Doraku
post Feb 1 2019, 07:24 AM

Yuhuuu
1,037 posts

QUOTE(soonwai @ Jan 31 2019, 11:30 PM)

user posted image
ohmy.gif do you use VPN then torrenting?, is that private tracker torrent or public torrent??

This post has been edited by Doraku: Feb 1 2019, 09:28 AM
soonwai
post Feb 1 2019, 08:16 AM

8,375 posts

QUOTE(Doraku @ Feb 1 2019, 07:24 AM)
ohmy.gif do you use VPN then torrenting?, is private tracker torrent or public torrent??
For the above torrents, no VPN. They're from a public tracker.
TSSilentVampire
post Feb 1 2019, 10:44 AM

Networking Enthusiast
5,644 posts

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Feb 1 2019, 02:33 AM)
Its more to do with sellers not giving info so people think the cable would sync at 1Gb/s, when i look at other sellers and questions closely i then find out stuff like the connector only rated for cat5 rather than cat5e or cat6.

Other than Ugreen, i suggest going with cat6 at least when buying fully made cables as many of them over hype their rating, so a cat6 could actually just be cat5e instead, its widespread in the industry. Have to look very closely at the seller, description and Q&A not the reviews to ensure that the entire cable will sync at 1Gb/s. Have to look at various other sellers, even google search at times. The brands you mention do make good cables/connectors but they also do make crappy ones too and there are sellers that dont give any info, so have to becareful.

I just got new AMP Netconnect connectors that are supposedly rated for cat6, so i will be testing it with prolink cat6 cable. I did check the prolink cable with digital calipers, but its more towards 24 AWG then the reported 23 AWG of conductor.

The cost for a cat6 cable of CCA should be less than rm 2 per meter (including the connector and shroud) that would fulfill 10Gb/s on short distance. I have no SFP+ ethernet connectors so i cant test that, but should sync at 1Gb/s if you were to purchase a whole spool of cables, heads and shrouds if you have to wire a lot of stuff and are willing to do it yourself. Even the toolset costs around rm 30, just have to remember to push in as much of the shielding as you can and that shielded cables are unnecessary. For permanent installs though the cables should be full copper which would cost more but would hold up better. CCA is actually better if you have to keep the cables portable. It doesnt really matter what conductor is used as long as it keeps to the ethernet standards
I agree. Buying Cat 6 is better than 5e, as lots of Cat 5e is rated for Cat 5 actually, as you say. Price of Cat 6 is also comparable to 5e and it is better to buy Cat 6, over 5e anytime. That is why I recommend Cat 6 over Cat 5e anytime, and you don’t really need SFP+ to test, instead just get Cat 6 from a reliable seller, and you should be fine. 10Gb/s is just overkill for now.

316 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0222sec    0.23    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 4th August 2021 - 02:48 AM