Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

LG OLED TV Discussion Thread, OLED TV

views

Vannus
post Jul 6 2019, 02:05 AM

Geeks
909 posts

QUOTE(Vannus @ Jul 5 2019, 07:22 PM)
Ok just bought APTV4k, tonight later I try use hdmi from APTV4k to my AVR, then from hdmi out with ARC/CEC to LG B6 Tv hdmi in with ARC/CEC. Need to identify which hdmi in is that first. Will update.
Ok done as per above guidance from SSJben bro, hdmi cable swap to hdmi 2 where i has ARC/CEC and turn on deepcolor settings on the TV and viola, tested and all worked well. Netflix, itunes movies on APTV4k works perfectly with the denon avr and LG oled B6. On the APTV4k Dolby vision force at 30hz able to send to AVR and to LG oled B6. Dolby atmos able to work as it showed at the AVR display.
Indeed happy with APTV4k's result as it works fine on LG Oled B6 eventhough its on 30hz display. Will plan for next year ned oled model where I heard will be significantly better than todays existing models.

Cheers SSJben for the informative advice.
SSJBen
post Jul 6 2019, 01:24 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(Vannus @ Jul 6 2019, 02:05 AM)
Ok done as per above guidance from SSJben bro, hdmi cable swap to hdmi 2 where i has ARC/CEC and turn on deepcolor settings on the TV and viola, tested and all worked well. Netflix, itunes movies on APTV4k works perfectly with the denon avr and LG oled B6. On the APTV4k Dolby vision force at 30hz able to send to AVR and to LG oled B6. Dolby atmos able to work as it showed at the AVR display.
Indeed happy with APTV4k's result as it works fine on LG Oled B6 eventhough its on 30hz display. Will plan for next year ned oled model where I heard will be significantly better than todays existing models.

Cheers SSJben for the informative advice.
I'm glad that everything works out for you. Enjoy!!
SSJBen
post Jul 6 2019, 01:24 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

-double post-

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Jul 6 2019, 01:24 PM
joeblow
post Jul 12 2019, 01:41 PM

Regular
1,034 posts

Hi guys,

May I know is it still worth to buy c8 now? C9 has better game performance and apparently based on marketing material the alpha 9 new processor can upscale sdr better... Now got 12th July promotion not sure if pull trigger for c8.

How's c8 sound, review says not good compared to Sony af8.

WebOS also no built in twitch app...

[Latest update] just bought C8...

And can someone suggest a sound bar to go with this TV? I don't really know about this, this tv has dolby atmos. So does my sound bar need to have dolby atmos too? Or it is none dolby atmos soundbar also can? Because I understand if a sound bar has dolby atmos, it can process the signal. But since the tv is already processing the signal, then do I need soundbar to have dolby atmos feature too? Currently my only dolby atmos content comes from netflix. I have no blu ray titles that have dolby atmos.

Thanks.

This post has been edited by joeblow: Jul 12 2019, 06:37 PM
Cimo
post Jul 12 2019, 02:31 PM

Getting Started
246 posts

Is C8 capable to be used as iptv? Or is it still better to get a separate iptv box?
AlexeyGubin P
post Jul 14 2019, 06:21 PM

Probation
5 posts

Hi everyone! As I checked cheapest OLED right now is LG OLED55B8. Is it possible to buy in Kuala Lumpur?
SSJBen
post Jul 15 2019, 03:40 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(joeblow @ Jul 12 2019, 01:41 PM)
[Latest update] just bought C8...

And can someone suggest a sound bar to go with this TV? I don't really know about this, this tv has dolby atmos. So does my sound bar need to have dolby atmos too? Or it is none dolby atmos soundbar also can? Because I understand if a sound bar has dolby atmos, it can process the signal. But since the tv is already processing the signal, then do I need soundbar to have dolby atmos feature too? Currently my only dolby atmos content comes from netflix. I have no blu ray titles that have dolby atmos.

Thanks.
What is your budget for a soundbar?

The C8 can decode Dolby Atmos stream to be downmixed onto its own speakers - that's all it does. The C8 does not have any upfiring speakers to project sound above you to give you an expanded soundstage and also provide height effects. If you get a soundbar, it must not only have the capability to decode Dolby Atmos, but it must also have upfiring speakers to play back that Atmos content - otherwise, it'll be limited to whatever amount of channels the soundbar is equipped with.

My personal opinion? Soundbars with Atmos capabilities are overpriced. Some of them are just passable in audio quality, most of them are just hot trash. Depends what your budget is for an audio setup, if you just want simplicity and you really don't care that much about audio quality - a soundbar may be worth your while.

QUOTE(Cimo @ Jul 12 2019, 02:31 PM)
Is C8 capable to be used as iptv? Or is it still better to get a separate iptv box?
Get a separate media box.

QUOTE(AlexeyGubin @ Jul 14 2019, 06:21 PM)
Hi everyone! As I checked cheapest OLED right now is LG OLED55B8. Is it possible to buy in Kuala Lumpur?
Not exactly in KL, but I saw a B8 yesterday at ESH Starling Mall - RM6799. Not really worth it considering the 55" C8 can be found for RM6.5k these days.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Jul 17 2019, 03:53 PM
joeblow
post Jul 16 2019, 10:27 PM

Regular
1,034 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Jul 15 2019, 03:40 PM)
What is your budget for a soundbar?

The C8 can decode Dolby Atmos stream to be downmixed onto its own speakers - that's all it does. The C8 does not have any upfiring speakers to project sound above you to give you an expanded soundstage and also provide height effects. If you get a soundbar, it must not only have the capability to decode Dolby Atmos, but it must also have upfiring speakers to play back that Atmos content - otherwise, it'll be limited to whatever amount of channels the soundbar is equipped with.

My personal opinion? Soundbars with Atmos capabilities are overpriced. Some of them are just passable in audio quality, most of them are just hot trash. Depends what your budget is for an audio setup, if you just want simplicity and you really don't care that much about audio quality - a soundbar may be worth your while.
Get a separate media box.
Not exactly in KL, but I saw a B8 yesterday at ESL Starling Mall - RM6799. Not really worth it considering the 55" C8 can be found for RM6.5k these days.
Thank you for your reply. I don't really have a budget, will buy when there's a good deal normally. I am targeting SK9 LG since I am using C8 now. BTW I find the sound of C8 to be really bad compared to Sony. After a lot of online searching and playing around, I conclude from TV speakers the sound more acceptable when I go Cinema with Dolby Surround turned off. The adaptive sound control doesn't seem intelligent enough... What do you guys use for Sound setting without external speakers?

Maybe it is because I watch mainly youtube HD SDR material, I am not very impress with the C8 screen. Don't get me wrong, the resolution is much better than the X7000F Sony I used previously, but not wow until I have to pay 3 times more for this TV. I just hope it is not because I got a lemon again or the oled needs to run a few days more before picture gets better...

Can I ask you lg gurus, how do you tell the pic mode changed when watching dolby vision, HDR, Ultra HD etc? Eg with Sony, when I watch netflix, if it is HDR material it will switch to HDR picture mode and if I am watching HD material it will change back to Standard Picture mode. I set the scene select as AUTO. With LG, it seems to be the same. Live TV, Netflix for either HD or Ultra HD or Dolby Vision, Youtube, it will always be the picture mode u set in the setting. Currently I have it under Standard as I find Technicolor expert and ISF a bit too dark... How can I let LG auto select the scene and based on the scene selects the appropriate pic mode?

Many thanks.
SSJBen
post Jul 17 2019, 05:18 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(joeblow @ Jul 16 2019, 10:27 PM)
Thank you for your reply. I don't really have a budget, will buy when there's a good deal normally. I am targeting SK9 LG since I am using C8 now. BTW I find the sound of C8 to be really bad compared to Sony. After a lot of online searching and playing around, I conclude from TV speakers the sound more acceptable when I go Cinema with Dolby Surround turned off. The adaptive sound control doesn't seem intelligent enough... What do you guys use for Sound setting without external speakers?

Yeah, usually turning off any form of fake virtual surround is better. The speakers are so small in these TVs, you're asking it to do so much and more over they are placed in a dumb place (downfiring usually). Of course it'll sound bad.

I refuse to watch anything with TV speakers, they are very much non existent to me. So no setting specifically, I don't use TV speakers - period.

Maybe it is because I watch mainly youtube HD SDR material, I am not very impress with the C8 screen. Don't get me wrong, the resolution is much better than the X7000F Sony I used previously, but not wow until I have to pay 3 times more for this TV. I just hope it is not because I got a lemon again or the oled needs to run a few days more before picture gets better...
"Garbage in, garbage out".

You give the TV bit-starved content (youtube), it'll show you exactly how trash it looks. There's no "masking" the deficiencies of poor quality content, where as on an entry level TV - it doesn't matter as much.

Can I ask you lg gurus, how do you tell the pic mode changed when watching dolby vision, HDR, Ultra HD etc? Eg with Sony, when I watch netflix, if it is HDR material it will switch to HDR picture mode and if I am watching HD material it will change back to Standard Picture mode. I set the scene select as AUTO. With LG, it seems to be the same. Live TV, Netflix for either HD or Ultra HD or Dolby Vision, Youtube, it will always be the picture mode u set in the setting. Currently I have it under Standard as I find Technicolor expert and ISF a bit too dark... How can I let LG auto select the scene and based on the scene selects the appropriate pic mode?

Not sure why you want to have so many different picture modes? Just use 1 picture mode for everything and game mode for gaming. Keep it simple, that way you don't have to bother with any mode switching.

Technicolor expert, ISF, Cinema modes are all mildly calibrated modes from the factory. If it's dark for you, increase the OLED backlight level. If it's still too dark, you may have to start controlling the light in your room.
wuming62
post Jul 23 2019, 04:18 PM

25 posts

Sony 65A8F RM8999 limit 10unit only at Aeon Bandar utama this weekend!!!

user posted image
SSJBen
post Jul 23 2019, 04:41 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(wuming62 @ Jul 23 2019, 04:18 PM)
Sony 65A8F RM8999 limit 10unit only at Aeon Bandar utama this weekend!!!

user posted image
What does this have to do with LG Oled TVs lol?
mys_terious
post Aug 15 2019, 10:14 PM

Enthusiast
882 posts

QUOTE(Convael @ Jun 6 2019, 07:40 PM)
Because the AF8/A8F is about to pull its curtain , preparing for the upcoming A9G and A8G .

Yes , solely for the price . Especially since all OLED tvs are relatively identical with each others , just get whichever that is the cheapest you can find .
( I am strictly talking about the Panasonic , LG , Sony and Philips / TP Vision , excluding the Chinese OLED TVs  )

I have a fairly long list of issues with AF8 but if someone can find a new 65" OLED for $7999 I am not going to tell them NO .
sorry pinjam thread to ask abt sony oled, just a quick 1. i do watch soccer everyweek, just wondering if sony still dim the af8 alot for sports with static image element? diff forum seems to have diff answers but i think getting an answer from a malaysian set owner might be more accurate for my case. My room is not very bright with semi blackout curtain:) Any advice from your will be greatly appreciated.
Convael
post Aug 15 2019, 11:15 PM

Regular
1,069 posts

QUOTE(mys_terious @ Aug 15 2019, 10:14 PM)
sorry pinjam thread to ask abt sony oled, just a quick 1.  i do watch soccer everyweek, just wondering if sony still dim the af8 alot for sports with static image element?  diff forum seems to have diff answers but i think getting an answer from a malaysian set owner might be more accurate for my case.  My room is not very bright with semi blackout curtain:)  Any advice from your will be greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately that is still happening , Sony's dimming algorithm is more aggressive than other brands .

Screen dimming serves as part of the protective measurement against Burn-In so there is nothing you can do about it , not on Sony's TV at least .
A while ago , Sony has released patches to mitigate the issue but it wasn't very effective .

To be fair , these dimming effects shouldn't be very obvious unless you are watching high APL / very bright HDR scene.
If you are in a dim room , the TV brightness should be calibrated to around 100-120 cd/m2 anyway . ( brightness settings of around 9~10 on Sony's OLED and 33-40 on LG's OLED )
In that case you will not notice much of a brightness shifts when the TV is playing non-hdr content , be it ABL or static logo dimming .

Dimming effects are also less noticeable on the newer AF9 and AG9 models because they are not as bright as AF8 .

This post has been edited by Convael: Aug 15 2019, 11:16 PM
hehe86
post Aug 16 2019, 02:05 PM

Gratitude
1,490 posts

Hi all, recently i just got a C8 55 tv. I'm not used to see HDR content. So when i play God of war on ps4 (not pro) with HDR on, i kinda feel like having motion sickness. The settings i set based on rtings one.

Would like to ask is this issue will go away if i see more of HDR content, or maybe my room not so bright? i'm usually on dim lighting

Thanks in advance
szecheng
post Aug 16 2019, 04:00 PM

Casual
460 posts

QUOTE(hehe86 @ Aug 16 2019, 02:05 PM)
Hi all, recently i just got a C8 55 tv. I'm not used to see HDR content. So when i play God of war on ps4 (not pro) with HDR on, i kinda feel like having motion sickness. The settings i set based on rtings one.

Would like to ask is this issue will go away if i see more of HDR content, or maybe my room not so bright? i'm usually on dim lighting

Thanks in advance
set the motion to smooth
mys_terious
post Aug 16 2019, 05:44 PM

Enthusiast
882 posts

QUOTE(Convael @ Aug 15 2019, 11:15 PM)
Unfortunately that is still happening , Sony's dimming algorithm is more aggressive than other brands .
Screen dimming serves as part of the protective measurement against Burn-In so there is nothing you can do about it , not on Sony's TV at least .
A while ago , Sony has released patches to mitigate the issue but it wasn't very effective .
To be fair , these dimming effects shouldn't be very obvious unless you are watching high APL / very bright HDR scene.
If you are in a dim room , the TV brightness should be calibrated to around 100-120 cd/m2 anyway .  ( brightness settings of around 9~10 on Sony's OLED and 33-40 on LG's OLED )
In that case you will not notice much of a brightness shifts when the TV is playing non-hdr content , be it ABL or static logo dimming .

Dimming effects are also less noticeable on the newer AF9 and AG9 models because they are not as bright as AF8 .
thanks a lot for the thorough explanation notworthy.gif

Convael
post Aug 16 2019, 08:22 PM

Regular
1,069 posts

QUOTE(hehe86 @ Aug 16 2019, 02:05 PM)

Thanks in advance
I don't think HDR is the cause of the motion sickness , as HDR and motion are not exactly related .

You may have been dazzled by the much higher brightness from the modern TV if you are upgrading from an old one , may take a while to get used to it .
The C8 is a decently bright TV and may reach 800-900 nits peak brightness for lower APL scenes .

Try turning off HDR entirely from the game setting to see if you are still experiencing the same issue .
If you still do , put on some ambient lighting while you are playing HDR games to ease on the strain to your eyes .

This post has been edited by Convael: Aug 16 2019, 08:25 PM
hehe86
post Aug 17 2019, 12:22 AM

Gratitude
1,490 posts

QUOTE(szecheng @ Aug 16 2019, 04:00 PM)
set the motion to smooth
i tried that, it looked darker but other than that, i can't notice the difference haha

QUOTE(Convael @ Aug 16 2019, 08:22 PM)
I don't think HDR is the cause of the motion sickness , as HDR and motion are not exactly related .

You may have been dazzled by the much higher brightness from the modern TV if you are upgrading from an old one , may take a while to get used to it .
The C8 is a decently bright TV and may reach 800-900 nits peak brightness for lower APL scenes .
Try turning off HDR entirely from the game setting to see if you are still experiencing the same issue .
If you still do ,  put on some ambient lighting while you are playing HDR games to ease on the strain to your eyes .
yea, i switched from an old lcd tv. may need some time to adjust to modern tv i guess. will try to increase the brightness in my room then. thnx
Tokma Khang
post Aug 23 2019, 11:49 AM

16 posts

QUOTE(AlexeyGubin @ Jul 14 2019, 06:21 PM)
I saw LG 55B8 at SENQ Alamanda, Putra Jaya at RM4,999 last week. But it is a display set and further discount if you trade in your old TV and minus bonus points from your credit card. It is a good buy only if you are willing to risk the possible Oled TV burn in.
mois
post Aug 23 2019, 01:00 PM

Enemy Territory
3,165 posts

user posted image

Saw this senheng Sibu LG C8 65" Rm7999 display unit. 3 years warranty tho.

Edited : Already running for 1214 hours.

This post has been edited by mois: Aug 23 2019, 03:59 PM

225 Pages « < 53 54 55 56 57 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0157sec    0.66    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:27 PM