Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

LG OLED TV Discussion Thread, OLED TV

views

SSJBen
post Oct 20 2016, 08:21 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(bluey88 @ Oct 20 2016, 04:08 PM)
To those who choose to buy LG OLED tv pls beware that their TV break down easily and their repair service SUX.
I bought a 55EG910T from Harvey Norman Paragon in June this year. By early September the smart TV conk out making
most the TV functions inaccessible. A visit by their technician made the problem worse and after he did some service setting
the TV just brick and stuck at the service setting screen.
This matter is still not solve until today (more that 1 month) and is causing me much grievance.
And they have so far refuse to do a 1 to 1 replacement for me.
Unfortunately for you and everyone, webOS isn't very stable and has never been stable. A problem with the OS can happen to any TV, not just LG. Android TV is just as bad, Samsung's Tizen or whatever is equally as bad. And don't get me started on the firefox OS on panasonic TVs.

So please be specific here, the hardware is fine. The software isn't. Your TV didn't break down, the OS just failed for whatever reason and is made worse by the technician.
SSJBen
post Dec 27 2016, 03:52 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(norazwan79 @ Dec 26 2016, 03:01 AM)
Im looking for oled tv as pc monitor. Anyone tried before? OLED55C6T is my target. 4k gaming + movies + 3D in HDR are the reason why i need this model. Plz share ur opinions. smile.gif
I'm on an E6 and while it looks amazing, desktop use is mediocre at best. Reason? Input lag and temporary image retention.

Playing at 4k60p, the input lag is around the mid-30s. Using a controller is mostly acceptable for most games, other than fighting (gg SFV), shmups and twitchy-FPS games like Overwatch. However if using a mouse, the input lag is just simply too high. It's like dragging a cursor through a swamp, similar to how you turn enable v-sync + mouse acceleration bullshit options. So no, using a mouse on the E6 for me is impossible.

According to rtings, the C6 is quite similar to the E6 in input lag. So, yeah my experience should apply to you too if you want to use the C6 as a monitor.

Then there's image retention. While permanent burn-in of images is quite difficult, temporary image retention is very easy to happen. Using the TV as a desktop means that one would usually do the casual internet browsing or whatever "casual" desktop usage.
The images can get temporarily stuck on screen and it becomes a huge annoyance over time. It takes about 10-15 minutes of IR recovery from within the TV each time to clear up the images, which to say the least for desktop usage is basically forever if you have to do it EVERYDAY.

SSJBen
post Dec 27 2016, 04:21 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(norazwan79 @ Dec 27 2016, 04:16 PM)
Thanks for ur helpful experience. Mouse cursor laggy at 4k60p? Seems bad option if i choose oled tv as pc monitor + image retention issue. I hate lcd coz not satisfied with black level produced. Even old plasma tv have deeper black level than current hi-end model of lcd tv/monitor.
You could source for a VA panel if you want good black levels.
SSJBen
post Jan 5 2017, 01:01 AM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

user posted image

CES 2017

As you might expect, the LG OLED TVs made a big splash at the company’s CES press conference. The 2017 lineup includes four model lines that are direct descendants of the 2016 models—B7, C7, E7, and G7—along with a new line designated W7.

Like last year, all 2017 models exhibit essentially the same performance; the differentiators between model lines are features and cosmetics. Among the highlights of the new models is a 25% increase in brightness—LG claims they can reproduce up to 1000 nits in small areas of the image. Also, the new OLEDs cover 99% of the DCI/P3 color gamut, a slight increase over the 97% achieved by last year’s models. And like all OLEDs, the new models achieve virtually perfect black levels thanks to the emissive nature of the technology. In fact, all will be certified as UHD Premium by the Ultra HD Alliance.

Another feature common to all the 2017 OLEDs is Dolby Atmos capability, though it’s not clear if this will be via HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) or what. In addition, all offer compatibility with HDR10 and Dolby Vision high dynamic-range content, and they will also support HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) after a firmware update. A feature called Active HDR emulates dynamic metadata with HDR10 and HLG content; Dolby Vision uses dynamic metadata, which can result in a better overall HDR picture because each scene can have its own metadata rather than a single set of metadata for the entire program.

Almost as interesting is what the new OLED TVs don’t have. First, all are flat; there are no curved models this year (huzzah!). And none have 3D capabilities.

The entry-level B7 will be available in 55″ and 65″ screen sizes with a “Blade Slim” design, while the C7 features a premium aluminum stand and bezel in the same screen sizes. The next step up is the E7 with LG’s “Picture on Glass” design and a soundbar stand in screen sizes of 55″ and 65″.

LG’s “Signature” designation now applies to two model lines, the G7 and W7, both of which will be available in 65″ and 77″ sizes. The G7 sports the Picture on Glass design and a foldable soundbar stand, while the new W7 features a design called “Picture on Wall” with unique hardware that lets you mount it nearly flush to the wall. It also includes a Dolby Atmos-enabled soundbar that delivers 3.2.0 Atmos sound.

As usual at CES, pricing was not announced, but the new OLED TVs are expected to ship in April. I’ll post more about these sets once I get a good, up-close look at them, so stay tuned!

http://www.avsforum.com/lg-oled-tvs-at-ces-2017/
Oh man, the W7 is definitely only for the super rich. Will be even more expensive than last year's G6 model.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Only 3.85mm thick, that's slimmer than all your ipongs 7.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Jan 5 2017, 12:44 PM
SSJBen
post May 5 2017, 05:15 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

The above black performance of the 7 series is really quite a bit better than last year's. I'm seriously thinking of selling my E6 just to get an E7 or maybe just "downgrade" to the C7 and get some spare change with more refined PQ.

Great indepth review here:

SSJBen
post May 7 2017, 09:36 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

Just had a lengthy hands on with the C7, definitely a noticeable improvement over the 6 series last year.

The 2 main improvements that I really like are:

1) The purple tint that is prevalent with reflections is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced over the last year's models. I never liked the purple tint, it was always distracting to me so I could never use my E6 even in a moderately bright room. The C7, even while pointing a spotlight at it does very well in comparison. There's still a purple hue on the screen, but it's a lot less annoying to my eyes.

2) The above black levels are quite a bit more balanced now. A lot less black crush in HDR content. For SDR content, black and just above black levels are less drab than last year's models.

One other noticeable improvement (although not as significant) is that temporary IR can be cleared up within 10 minutes. My E6 needs at least 40+ mins to entirely clear up the screen. There are a few more other minor improvements, which at a whole isn't much to talk about (better input lag, but it's really only 5ms better... so, whateves).

Seriously considering to sell the E6 and get the 65" C7 instead. I get some extra pocket money but a better TV overall.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: May 7 2017, 09:37 PM
SSJBen
post May 12 2017, 09:36 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(swimfan @ May 11 2017, 11:15 PM)
I have a LG B6 OLED tv and am wondering if other TV owners have had their set professionally calibrated?

While watching The Force Awakens on Bluray yesterday, I keep getting distracted by the grainy picture quality. It's not noticeable in every scene but it does get annoyingly distracting. I'm not sure if the issue is with my TV settings, or the fact that I'm playing it off a PS4 Pro, or my expectations were too high.

Seeking advice from folks if there's any way to reduce the grain.
Doesn't sound right, take a pic please.

I watched TFA last month on the E6, while the movie is inherently a little bit grainy since it was shot on film, but it was never distracting.

Also, how many hours have you logged on your B6? All OLEDs need at least around 250+ hours before the panel can really settle down. Yes, this is similar to the plasma TV days, where anything before 200 hours were pointless to judge.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: May 20 2017, 07:00 PM
SSJBen
post Jun 19 2017, 08:48 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

Finally bit the bullet and sold my E6 for a C7. Shipping in coming after Raya.
SSJBen
post Jun 22 2017, 02:09 AM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

All webDL versions of TFA has grain reduced as a fixed post processing that the viewer cannot alter. The webDL version of TFA is encoded differently to the BluRay raw. So comparing the 2 versions is sort of pointless as their sources are different.
SSJBen
post Jun 23 2017, 05:28 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(jimmyteng18 @ Jun 22 2017, 08:52 AM)

I'm still using my faithful 50"Pioneer Plasma since 2010. I'm looking at 55"B7 which reviews shown some improvement over B6. Anyway, I'm not in hurry to buy new TV. Thks.
If you aren't in a hurry, then absolutely wait for 2018.

I mean:
+ New OLED panel from LG which hopefully gets even brighter, less aggressive ABL, less vignetting, less banding, better motion handling, etc.
+ HDMI 2.1 (if you play games, the possibility of Freesync or Variable Refresh Rate is absolutely a MUST HAVE)
+ New chipset on the 2018 TVs, hopefully good enough to compete with Sony on upscaling tech.

3 major factors right there. Absolutely wait if you don't need a new TV now.
SSJBen
post Jun 26 2017, 03:24 AM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(munchoong @ Jun 26 2017, 01:54 AM)
Motion handling is definitely one of the weak points of the 2016 models, seperti with 24fps content sad.gif

I am sure I am not the only one... but the main reason to stick with the 2016 models (besides the current lowered prices) is their absolutely superior 3D support. Passive 3D at 4K is even better than Active 3D at 1080p. Being a dyed in the wool Blu-ray 3D supporter, it was the main reason I bought the E6.

Upscaling is best left to the Blu-ray player, and have the TV process it as a true 2160p SDR image. Besides the Oppo 103, Pioneer Elite players should be considered for 4K upscaling of Blu-ray content.
I never cared for 3D though, that's why I bit the bullet and sold my E6 for a C7. The ABL being so much less aggressive is an absolute worthy "upgrade" for me, I no longer have to deal with the screen dimming even on a 50% window (which wasn't the case with the E6 as I'm sure you've encountered).

My 'fix' for 24fps content is that - I'm using a HTPC, which means I have access to madvr. That means I get to use SVP and/or Smooth Motion to mitigate judder on low framerate content. For now at least, 24fps judder isn't a big issue for me. Games at 30fps though is a headache. But at the same time, 60fps games and 120fps games (C7 supports 120hz! woooh!) is a freaking delight! biggrin.gif

As for upscaling, believe it or not... Sony's X1 Extreme chipset on their Z9D, XE94 and XE93 actually comes very close to matching an Oppo 203 in upscaling prowess. Not everyone will want to get an Oppo player though and also not everything can be piped through to the Oppo player either. LG is doubling down on this next year.
SSJBen
post Jul 5 2017, 11:15 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(munchoong @ Jun 26 2017, 10:50 PM)
Not really a modern gamer outside of the occasional game on my PS3 and PS4.. prefer to play retro on my PS2 and Saturn... but so far I have not encountered any problems as far as PS3/4 are concerned

Not a PC user either, so I don't know what HTPCs can do anymore since the DVD era.

I haven't experienced any dimming or brightness issues with SDR, 3D, or HDR contenr with my E6, so I'm not entirely certain what you mean.

I always leave the video processing to the player in order to minimize it... I always leave my receiver to do direct video passthrough and leave the TV to display at native resolution, be it 576p or 720p or 1080p.
When you view webpages, charts or any bright static content - the screen will automatically dim its brightness. It doesn't happen that much with MOVING content and even if it does, yes like you said - it's barely noticeable.

As I use my TV as more than just a TV, having the screen dim and brighten rapidly when switching webpages is annoying to me. The C7 so far fairs A LOT better.
SSJBen
post Jul 20 2017, 05:01 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(anfieldude @ Jul 19 2017, 04:24 PM)
Some initial observations.

There are some improvements compared to the 2016 LG OLED in areas that have been already touched upon by the international reviews.

Near black handling is clearly better. While I am still not sure if it is higher than 8 bits in the low end, the improvement compared to 2016 is there. This helps noisy dark areas better. I do see posterization from time to time, but its in content that is streaming, hence its hard to understand if they are bit starved.

The set is still new and needs to settle down a bit. I believe it has to undergo its 1st compensation cycle before I can judge further.

I do see that the Dynamic handling of HDR does allow to resolve higher than 1000nits (sometimes I see even up to 4000nits) but depending on the APL (with this being test patterns) the impact on the overall brightness is there.

For SDR, the brightness/contrast seems to be spot on at default which is a good indication that LG understands this very well.

I hope to jot down further observations when I calibrate it this week.

Also looking forward to calibrating Dolby Vision soon.

The UHD/HDR/DV feeds in Netflix do hv peak data streaming of about 15-20Mbps. I hv not seen any really coming close to 25Mpbs that Netflix requires for UHD, but then again, I hv not really viewed the whole movies yet.
@bold 1
Agreed. I still do see some posterization on 10 bit content though, was watching Resident Evil Vendetta (UHD blu-ray version) the other day and I clearly see banding on dark gradients. I feel that LG could have a similar post-process like Sony's Smooth Gradation feature to help in this area, at the expense of blurring actual textures.

@bold 2
Took me 3 compensation cycles before I could start calibrating without any changes beyond the next 50 hours. So basically, the first 120+ hours of my C7 has been for non-critical viewing. I read that a few owners let their C7s run slides for a week before even attempting to watch anything though. That's a little too extreme IMO.

@bold 3
This is one of the most significant improvements I've observed moving from the E6 to the C7. Couple with the fact that APL is significantly less aggressive as well, this makes for a very case where bright scenes become very tolerable to watch. Dolby Vision will further close the gap between OLED and LCDs for peak brightness due to this sole improvement.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Jul 20 2017, 05:01 PM
SSJBen
post Jul 21 2017, 03:33 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(anfieldude @ Jul 21 2017, 09:29 AM)
I'm not sure if the banding is not in the content, I hv seen them in content as well previously when I am at some post production studio using their monitor used for colour grading. However, I believe there is an inherent weakness to how the OLED handles dark content as the slight posterization can be seen on 10bit colour grading test patterns which indicate the weakness. I hv seen better handing of these kinds of material in my Kuro 9th Gen as the PWM and halftoning algorithms can mask them but with some added noise in the areas.

On the calibration portion, are u doing SDR and HDR calibration? I do believe that the greyscale can be calibrated well if u understand how not to misalign the 20pt controls. As yet, I hv not seen any display so far handle white balance as well as the 9th Gen Kuros that only has 2 point but almost ruler flat greyscale even when measured at 5% intervals.

Dolby Vision calibration will be interesting. So far only Calman has the ability to do it. U would also need a pattern generator that can trigger Dolby Vision or use ur PC.  The workflows are very specific as it's controlled by Dolby.
I don't think the banding is in the content? RE:V is a 10 bit mastered movie with Dolby Vision, so it's mastered exactly like that from the studio. Yeah, contours and posterization can be seen on the C7. From my understanding, it is LG's current band-aid situation to boost brightness levels - resulting in banding and vignetting on the panel.
I've seen plenty of people returning their C7s (not here though) to exchange for a better panel until they get a "perfect" one. As it stands right now, yeah majority of C7 (and all other 6 and 7 series models) will exhibit banding in gradients.

Both, but I think LG did a pretty solid job in the SDR presets out of the box if you ask me, not a whole lot of tweaking needed to achieve a flat greyscale. Only thing I tried and achieve with SDR content is to match it at 2.2 gamma, which out of the box was a little high at 2.3. Although 2.4 would be best in a pitch black room, I don't watch stuff in a pitch black room anymore these days.

On the HDR side, I borrowed a Klein K80 and Murideo 6G from a friend who's a fellow calibrator and I will be using that for pattern generation. I'm not sure whether I did a good enough job or not (not a certified calibrator here so there are a few things I'm not quite sure about), to my eyes at least - I think it's fine. Will have the friend over this weekend to verify my calibration.
SSJBen
post Jul 21 2017, 04:47 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(anfieldude @ Jul 21 2017, 03:53 PM)
Seems like u r in the right direction as far as calibration is concerned. I would advise if possible to profile the K80 with a 5nm spectro and do a perceptual matching against another display side by side calibrated to D65 and make adjustments for white point after that. This is avoid the colour metamerism effect that the OLED can pose.

Btw, I did not mean that for RE UHD that u watched had banding in the source I was meaning to point out that not all content mastered is free of banding. Banding can exist in BD and UHD .

Sent u a separate PM on something else. If possible, pls let me know.
@bolded
Understood, will do that.
I've gotten delta errors to 1 currently, I doubt it can go below that anymore.

Ah alright, I went back and re-read your post. Misunderstood, my bad.

On a side note, Rtings posted this comparison between the C7 and A1E:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

The A1E has almost no banding at all as a result of Smooth Gradation enabled to the "Low" setting.
SSJBen
post Aug 11 2017, 10:36 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(munchoong @ Aug 11 2017, 08:13 PM)
Question for the sifus

I was watching The Revenant today, and the video signal quit a few times (no more than 2-3 seconds) before coming back up. I don't think it's a disc issue cos the audio continued, and my E6 flashes the HDR indicator on the upper right corner for a few second when the picture came back on.

I am running the disc on a Samsung UBD-K8500, using HDMI1 output only to my Yamaha RX-A3050 receiver, which outputs to HDMI2 on my E6.

I use the same 6ft AmazonBasics cable (see https://amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-.../dp/B014I8SSD0) to connect the player to the receiver, and the receiver to the TV.

This is the first time I encountered this problem, did not have any issues with other titles like Batman v Superman or Planet Earth II.

Any input would be much appreciated.
Is your A3050 set to 4K Mode 1?
SSJBen
post Aug 12 2017, 03:06 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(munchoong @ Aug 12 2017, 09:56 AM)
No, I set to Mode 2 already to enable 10-bit color passthrough.
Uhm... you should to set to Mode 1 actually.
SSJBen
post Aug 24 2017, 04:03 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(ZzZzz... @ Aug 24 2017, 08:38 AM)
C7 55inch cheapest market price now how much ya??
poison by the OLED T.T, but no bullet
In KL? Best Denki, RM9799 + free SH8 soundbar.

Previously there was an open box display set (used for LG OLED roadshow at Pavilion, so basically just a 4 days old set) on sale at Harvey Norman Pavilion. Only RM7777 + SH8 soundbar. Thought of picking it up, but I found that the panel uniformity was not good enough for me (anyone who does calibration knows that OCD feeling) after running a few slides on it - the store manager was kind enough to allow it. But for most other people, it is absolutely fine.

Also had an E7 65" open box set selling for RM19k, I don't think it's sold yet though. Would have bought it if I didn't already have a C7 65". Dang.

QUOTE(doggmeister @ Aug 24 2017, 01:02 PM)
would also like to know, i know there is a merdeka special on until 31st august 11999 inc free sound bar i think?
Lol 11999 + free soundbar is basically ripping your neck off.

Best Denki only selling at 9799 + free SH8 soundbar.
SSJBen
post Aug 24 2017, 08:15 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(VeeJay @ Aug 24 2017, 08:11 PM)
Yeah, hope 2018, we could see OLED around 8k maybe?
Last year's B6 is only 7k now... so, why have to wait until next year for lower prices?

TBH, next year's models are likely to be even pricier than this year's.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Aug 24 2017, 08:16 PM
SSJBen
post Aug 25 2017, 04:55 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(VeeJay @ Aug 24 2017, 09:25 PM)
hmmm, thus far havent come across for that price. do you know where did you observe that price at?
I've seen that price at 3 places now:

Best Denki MyTown
Best Denki KLCC
Harvey Norman The Curve (but this was over a month+ ago, I doubt they have any more B6 left)

QUOTE(anfieldude @ Aug 25 2017, 10:29 AM)
The only difference is the soundbar from SH8 to SJ8. RM9800 is about right and if it makes a difference the 2017 sets hv free 3 months Netflix UHD access. RM7777 is an extremely good price. What's the going rate for 65C7 I wonder?
Yes RM7777 is an insanely good price, sell off the soundbar and it's only RM6k++ or so. Panel uniformity for the OCD aside, there's really no reason not to get it for the vast majority of people.

65C7 is around RM19k or so. I believe Desa HT did have a small promo for it at KLAV 2017 though, selling for around 18.5k.

Don't think the 65" is going to get any big promo until end of the year. The market only cares about 55 inch TVs now a days.

QUOTE(doggmeister @ Aug 25 2017, 02:40 PM)
Good to know thank you! How about for the old panel b6? Best price now?
Lowest I've seen from a retail store is RM6699 at Harvey Norman The Curve. It was their clearance sale as they are going to be renovated.

I think for a major chain retailer, only Best Denki has surplus stocks of the B6 currently. I could be wrong though.

23 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0175sec    0.42    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:02 PM