Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Please provide proper description when you report a post. Report button abuse will earn you an automatic warn + suspension.

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Best Destination for A Level in Malaysia

Which is the best place to do A Level in Malaysia.

HELP UNIVERSITY COLLEGE [ 61 ] ** [14.77%]
TAYLOR UNIVERSITY COLLEGE [ 172 ] ** [41.65%]
SUNWAY UNIVERSITY COLLEGE [ 37 ] ** [8.96%]
KOLEJ TUNKU JAFAAR [ 20 ] ** [4.84%]
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE SEDAYA INTERNATIONAL [ 9 ] ** [2.18%]
INSTITUT SINARAN SABAH [ 10 ] ** [2.42%]
INTI UNIVERSITY COLLEGE [ 21 ] ** [5.08%]
OTHERS [ 83 ] ** [20.10%]
Total Votes: 413
Guests cannot vote 
Lemonfish
post Oct 21 2007, 05:27 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

I am a SPM students and looking foward to do A-Level. Please vote for the best A LEVEL school in terms of academic performance, college location, and facilities. Do give some feedback regarding the A Level Programme in each college if you have gone through them.

HELP UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
Taylor University College
Sunway University College
Kolej Tunku Jaafar
UCSI
Institut Sinaran Sabah
INTI COLLEGE MALAYSIA

smile.gif

This post has been edited by Lemonfish: Oct 21 2007, 05:40 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pyroboy1911
post Oct 21 2007, 05:28 PM

A Great Achievement
Group: Senior Member

if you are looking for a good name on your piece of paper, the name would be "Taylors"
+Quote Post
Lemonfish
post Oct 21 2007, 05:30 PM

Getting Started

How about Help University College and Kolej Tunku Jaafar. If i am to do actuarial science in my University Level, which college have the best lecturer on subject like Further Mathematics, Economic and Accounting??
+Quote Post
Pmc
post Oct 21 2007, 05:57 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

If money isn't a factor for u, then maybe sunway college should suite you. Erm, btw, y u choose A level, afaik, A level is like stpm, study all the thing first, then the final exam is testing u for all the thing that u study in one go. Im a foundation student, and its quite different, because the exam is per sem, after that sem, u can totally forget that subject and learn new thing.. just my 20 cents
+Quote Post
pyroboy1911
post Oct 21 2007, 05:58 PM

A Great Achievement

QUOTE(Pmc @ Oct 21 2007, 05:57 PM)
If money isn't a factor for u, then maybe sunway college should suite you. Erm, btw, y u choose A level, afaik, A level is like stpm, study all the thing first, then the final exam is testing u for all the thing that u study in one go. Im a foundation student, and its quite different, because the exam is per sem, after that sem, u can totally forget that subject and learn new thing.. just my 20 cents
same case. although relatively easier, but A level will have wider choice when you wanna go study either locally or abroad.
+Quote Post
alxa3021
post Oct 21 2007, 06:12 PM

Getting Started

This opinion poll will most probably be biased! Well i guess thats why its called an "opinion poll" doh!

I'd say go to Taylor's College just because thats the only place I've actually studied in for a while (ADP!).
+Quote Post
Lemonfish
post Oct 21 2007, 06:13 PM

Getting Started

Yup. Money isnt a limiting factor for me. But is Sunway good?? I heard that the quality is not on par with Taylor and they are many rich kids showing off and partying. The reason i choose to do A Level is because I plan to do my degree in UK. Most top university in UK need A Level to qualify for their Undergraduate Programme.

This post has been edited by Lemonfish: Oct 21 2007, 06:21 PM
+Quote Post
pyroboy1911
post Oct 21 2007, 06:14 PM

A Great Achievement

i'm not reli biased, i come from SIT International College( managed by Help U), the lecturers here are fantastic, but i would still recommend taylors (if u have the money) because of the piece of result paper bearing the big "TAYLORS" on it.
+Quote Post
Lemonfish
post Oct 21 2007, 06:16 PM

Getting Started

Can i know what so special about the name with TAYLOR big name. They are not the same group as Taylor Australia. I dont know what make Taylor tht special. Mind to elaborate???

This post has been edited by Lemonfish: Oct 21 2007, 06:16 PM
+Quote Post
ataris
post Oct 21 2007, 06:19 PM

Eyes of a Gamer

HELp or Sunway for me. most of frens go to either this college.
+Quote Post
alxa3021
post Oct 21 2007, 06:20 PM

Getting Started

Only reason "Taylor's College" is "Special" is because people know about it. The more people who know about a certain college the more likely you would hear good things about it (well the bad things too).

Also do not limit yourself to UK, check out US it might actually be cheaper (yes I said cheaper, if you do not believe me check it out yourself, even the exchange rate is a little more affordable compared to the UK currency) and you do not have to go through the hassle of taking an A-lvls course before applying to a university. Though, you'd have to take a couple of tests (SAT 1 & 2).

Then again I am also being biased on my previous paragraph just because I am pro-US, well actually I'm a rebel and I did not want to go to any mini Malaysia countries (Australia & UK, yes you guys know you are mini Malaysia's!).

This post has been edited by alxa3021: Oct 21 2007, 06:49 PM
+Quote Post
wgy589
post Oct 21 2007, 06:20 PM

Enthusiast

?
Taylor's is nothin wat
pls la, admission into Uni is based on ur A-levels result, nt the name of ur college
it's nt like Uni degree, where it makes a huge diff btw Harvard n any newly established college(esp in Malaysia)

Added on October 21, 2007, 6:22 pmif an Uni selects students based on where they come from, den it's for sure some probs wif the Uni d

This post has been edited by wgy589: Oct 21 2007, 06:22 PM
+Quote Post
pyroboy1911
post Oct 21 2007, 06:23 PM

A Great Achievement

QUOTE(wgy589 @ Oct 21 2007, 06:20 PM)
?
Taylor's is nothin wat
pls la, admission into Uni is based on ur A-levels result, nt the name of ur college
it's nt like Uni degree, where it makes a huge diff btw Harvard n any newly established college(esp in Malaysia)
u're totally wrong. which one is better, A-level from taylors or A-level from XXX school u never heard of, provided the grades are the same?
+Quote Post
Lemonfish
post Oct 21 2007, 06:29 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(alxa3021 @ Oct 21 2007, 06:20 PM)
Only reason "Taylor's College" is "Special" is because people know about it. The more people who know about a certain college the more likely you would hear good things about it (well the bad things too).

Also do not limit yourself to UK, check out US it might actually be cheaper (yes I said cheaper, if you do not believe me check it out yourself, even the exchange rate is a little more affordable compared to the UK currency) and you do not have to go through the hassle of taking an A-lvls course before applying to a university. Though, you'd have to take a couple of tests (SAT 1 & 2).

Well then again I am also being biased on my previous paragraph just because I am pro-US.
Yup. I either going to UK for economic related stuff or to Australia for my Engineering. I dont feel of going to US. HAHA
I am more comfortable with Australia and UK eduacation.
+Quote Post
cain

User is delinquent

Do take note that even though Taylor's is well-known, there are 1 or 2 lecturers who are, well, less popular among students because of their teaching methods. You can however, lodge complaints and request for change of lecturer.
+Quote Post
Pmc

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

if u r studying abroad, then u must take A lvl alrd.. no other choice. But from what u said, in sunway there are lots of rich ppl showing off.. yea, my friend is from sunway, and he damn hate those people.

One of my friend are also from Taylor, from what he told me, taylor is quite a good college, with good lecturers. Taylor is more english-oriented i thnk, the students thr spoke english almost all the time.

It's actually up to u.. in my opinion, sunway and taylor is quite the same.
+Quote Post
cain
post Oct 21 2007, 06:33 PM

User is delinquent

QUOTE(Pmc @ Oct 21 2007, 06:29 PM)
if u r studying abroad, then u must take A lvl alrd.. no other choice.
no, not neccesarily

One of my friend are also from Taylor, from what he told me, taylor is quite a good college, with good lecturers. Taylor is more english-oriented i thnk, the students thr spoke english almost all the time.
Depends on who u mix with. There are students from Chinese Independent Schools who actually prefer to speak mandarin
+Quote Post
alxa3021
post Oct 21 2007, 06:35 PM

Getting Started

if u r studying abroad, then u must take A lvl alrd.. no other choice.

There are exceptions to the statement you made, American Universities do not require you to complete A-levels to enter or apply to their universities.

+Quote Post
Pmc
post Oct 21 2007, 06:36 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

yaya, not neccesarilly , but most of the time i guess..
+Quote Post
K-I-R-A
post Oct 21 2007, 09:18 PM

Getting Started
Group: Validating

er, well, the destination to me doesnt matter as long u work for ur grades
as u can see, taylors charge 24k for a-levels,
in some other colleges they charge you less than 10k...
and I seriously dont understand why Taylors charge this amount of money if u compare with other colleges, their main campus is kindda crammed btw

This post has been edited by K-I-R-A: Oct 21 2007, 09:19 PM
+Quote Post
veryniub
post Oct 21 2007, 09:47 PM

Getting Started

if u are rich go for KYUEM
Kolej Yayasan United Engineering of Msia..
there are wher those under govn sship / private sector sship sent to..
its really a nice place for studyin..
+Quote Post
cain
post Oct 21 2007, 09:58 PM

User is delinquent

QUOTE(veryniub @ Oct 21 2007, 09:47 PM)
if u are rich go for KYUEM
Kolej Yayasan United Engineering of Msia..
there are wher those under govn sship / private sector sship sent to..
its really a nice place for studyin..
i hear most of the students studying there are under scholarship
and in the past few years this college has been producing quite a number of graduates with impressive results iirc
+Quote Post
youngkies
post Oct 21 2007, 11:30 PM

Monday <--> Friday
Group Icon
Group: Staff

QUOTE(Lemonfish @ Oct 21 2007, 06:13 PM)
Yup. Money isnt a limiting factor for me. But is Sunway good?? I heard that the quality is not on par with Taylor and they are many rich kids showing off and partying. The reason i choose to do A Level is because I plan to do my degree in UK. Most top university in UK need A Level to qualify for their Undergraduate Programme.
which ever college is not a huge factor as long as you can get what you need to get into UK uni.

Added on October 21, 2007, 11:32 pm
QUOTE(pyroboy1911 @ Oct 21 2007, 06:23 PM)
u're totally wrong. which one is better, A-level from taylors or A-level from XXX school u never heard of, provided the grades are the same?
he is right actually. acceptance to UK uni doent really relate to which college you went to, but your a-level result. because GSCE a-level is an external examination.

This post has been edited by youngkies: Oct 21 2007, 11:32 PM
+Quote Post
feynman
post Oct 22 2007, 12:34 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Group: Elite

QUOTE(pyroboy1911 @ Oct 21 2007, 06:14 PM)
i'm not reli biased, i come from SIT International College( managed by Help U), the lecturers here are fantastic, but i would still recommend taylors (if u have the money) because of the piece of result paper bearing the big "TAYLORS" on it.
GCE A-level is an external examination. Taylor's College has nothing to do with it.

Again, no one gives a damn as to which college you did your A-levels at.

It is just like buying apples from pasar malam and cold storage, same species of apples, sold at a different price.

This post has been edited by feynman: Oct 22 2007, 12:35 AM
+Quote Post
T3Vince
post Oct 22 2007, 01:20 AM

Group: New Member

Seeing the results..I wish to express some of my thoughts. It's not where you get your education. What matters is how much effort you put into getting the results. I'm from IS and I got 4A's not because the college is good or anything..The facilities, teaching, and location to some extent might influence your choice but I don't think there should be a "best" destination for A level in Malaysia. Results wise, Taylors score best ?..well..that maybe because they have more students than the rest of the colleges?

Besides, I remember a school mate of mine got "top in the world", yes..not just top in malaysia..but IN THE WORLD for business.. So don't get influenced by the biased poll. It really doesn't matter where you study!

er, well, the destination to me doesnt matter as long u work for ur grades
as u can see, taylors charge 24k for a-levels,
in some other colleges they charge you less than 10k...
and I seriously dont understand why Taylors charge this amount of money if u compare with other colleges, their main campus is kindda crammed btw

Totally in agreement!
The price is just bogus. A friend of mine went to taylor's for A levels ended up regretting it and returned to IS.

This post has been edited by T3Vince: Oct 22 2007, 01:25 AM
+Quote Post
foofoosasa
post Oct 22 2007, 04:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Based on your situation,i would suggest you taylor or sunway college.since $$ is not a problem for you,then go for it. smile.gif .anyway,if you think you are easily influenced by others....haha better choose others college~ tongue.gif just my 2 cent.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
chaoshero
post Oct 22 2007, 06:41 PM

Casual

QUOTE(Lemonfish @ Oct 21 2007, 05:30 PM)
How about Help University College and Kolej Tunku Jaafar. If i am to do actuarial science in my University Level, which college have the best lecturer on subject like Further Mathematics, Economic and Accounting??
HELP has the best team.....Ms Kimmie Tan is well known for Economics, & Mr Jahn Cheah the Dept Head is famous for Further Maths....just come over...we have the best of teams.

Many of the students under our mentoring gain wide acceptance into prestigious universities like Cambridge & LSE.
+Quote Post
Pmc
post Oct 22 2007, 07:22 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Be aware that some famous PHD holder or 1st class master degree might not be a good lecturer, yea they are smart and famous, but there're no guarantee that they can teach the students effectively.. So its better to ask someone who actually went to that particular college, will be the finest info u can find
+Quote Post
lost123
post Oct 22 2007, 07:53 PM

Enthusiast

it doesnt matter which college u take ur A lvls in, its how well u score...

its not da same with a degree course...

if money is not a problem, then any college would be fine, but if it is a problem, juz dun go to colleges like taylors where they charge 20k+ for A lvls

This post has been edited by lost123: Oct 22 2007, 07:55 PM
+Quote Post
wgy589
post Oct 22 2007, 09:40 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(lost123 @ Oct 22 2007, 07:53 PM)
it doesnt matter which college u take ur A lvls in, its how well u score...

its not da same with a degree course...

if money is not a problem, then any college would be fine, but if it is a problem, juz dun go to colleges like taylors where they charge 20k+ for A lvls
haha
seriously la, it doesn't matter much.
Basically, taylors is just a tiny private college in Malaysia. U got money, u get in.
+Quote Post
evanesence117
post Oct 22 2007, 10:38 PM

Enthusiast

it does not matter which college u get it from, it's the same..... wat they say is right

if u r studying abroad, then u must take A lvl alrd.. no other choice. But from what u said, in sunway there are lots of rich ppl showing off.. yea, my friend is from sunway, and he damn hate those people.

no u dont have to, there are others like AUSMAT, SAM, ADP, UEC, IB and even STPM is accepted overseas

This post has been edited by evanesence117: Oct 22 2007, 10:39 PM
+Quote Post
Lemonfish
post Oct 24 2007, 10:28 PM

Getting Started

Thanks for the feedback given. Any furthur advise, especially student that had gone through A LVL in the above mentioned college..
+Quote Post
Aztec
post Oct 24 2007, 11:37 PM

Disregard females,Acquire aesthetics..u mirin'?

im doing a-levels at HELP now..i chose HELP cause the exam is from the London board and this means can resit ur paper..but in Taylors is the Cambridge board which is like SPM..study for 1 1/2 years and then sit for one final exam..so there is more pressure not to mention Cambridge board papers are tougher..im taking for subjects and the fees are rm20k+..All my lecturers were good until my econs teacher left..now stuck with some newbie lousy teacher.. doh.gif
+Quote Post
Lemonfish
post Oct 24 2007, 11:41 PM

Getting Started

What is the difference between A LVL from London Board and from Cambridge??
+Quote Post
cain
post Oct 25 2007, 12:30 AM

User is delinquent

QUOTE(Aztec @ Oct 24 2007, 11:37 PM)
im doing a-levels at HELP now..i chose HELP cause the exam is from the London board and this means can resit ur paper..but in Taylors is the Cambridge board which is like SPM..study for 1 1/2 years and then sit for one final exam..so there is more pressure not to mention Cambridge board papers are tougher..im taking for subjects and the fees are rm20k+..All my lecturers were good until my econs teacher left..now stuck with some newbie lousy teacher.. doh.gif
For Cambridge board, you DON'T study for 1 1/2 yrs n sit for 1 final exam. For Further Math paper, yes, but other than that, you actually sit for 2 exams, AS & A2, both of which are of equal weightage

QUOTE(Lemonfish @ Oct 24 2007, 11:41 PM)
What is the difference between A LVL from London Board and from Cambridge??
http://bekaspenuh.blogspot.com/2007/08/cam...ge-edexcel.html

hope this helps

This post has been edited by cain: Oct 25 2007, 12:35 AM
+Quote Post
Aztec
post Oct 25 2007, 12:43 AM

ooo..didint know that..but London board can retake more times..
+Quote Post
feynman
post Oct 25 2007, 05:08 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon

Anyone who is smart will not try to retake the units.........so study hard, don't slack off and your years doing A-levels will be enjoyable.
+Quote Post
Cristiano-Ronaldo-7
post Oct 25 2007, 01:41 PM

Regular

i think theres another big diff with the london and cambdrige board. you do yours in different sets of units. like cambridge has the AS in one shot, and london has the AS in two sets if im not mistaken?

currently doing my AS now, i seriouslly hope not to retake. Its freaking stressful. 5 different papers if i have to resit the exams.

so you gotta first choose your alevel examination board, and from there filter out the rest.

KYUEM is a good school. Kolej Tunku Jaafar as well. this are popular colleges, KTJ is well known private boarding school.

well the name taylors on it doesnt really mean that much. getting the grade is the fore most important thing. your extracurricular activities, your personal statement.

in terms of lecturers, every college would have their fair share of shitty ones and good ones. Im quite thankful i got some pretty good lecturers but i pity some of my friends with the bad ones. but at the end of the day A levels you really gotta do your own work. research up on your own. and dont wait till the last minute even if the exams are months ahead. I had to learn the hard way, even though i did study i still made silly mistakes and didnt hit my target for trials.

as i am from taylors, i think its an all right place to go to. i choose it mainly cause of my friends, the cambridge board. and of course since i stay in damansara, i needed a change of enviroment, so i didnt look at any in the pj area.

+Quote Post
Cheesenium
post Oct 25 2007, 02:27 PM

Vigilo Confido

QUOTE(feynman @ Oct 25 2007, 05:08 AM)
Anyone who is smart will not try to retake the units.........so study hard, don't slack off and your years doing A-levels will be enjoyable.
Yeah,retaking is not a good idea,especially if you have further maths.
+Quote Post
chen9wei
post Oct 25 2007, 02:51 PM

Look at all my stars

In institut sinaran sabah now. Now doing A level (AS + A) together. According to them, the fees is the cheapest in whole Malaysia. You can finish the whole course for just 6K. The teachers are quite good , no bad comment so far. Going to graduate Nov 26.
+Quote Post
cherryblossom
post Oct 26 2007, 02:36 AM

lol... you have to know which subjects u waant to take wat~
then only decide?

+Quote Post
joellee
post Oct 26 2007, 10:41 AM

Getting Started

perhaps you want to look to the lecturer:student ratio

If you are a good student, chances are that you will score most of the time wherever you go

However, if you are so so, then perhaps you want to have more personal attention, which means lesser lecturer to student ratio

When you go for course counseling in colleges, try to look for the lecturers or at least people who teach the course (in this case A Levels)

They tend to be less biased and they give you slightly more accurate picture. If you get counseled by the marketing people, the normal thing is of course their college is the best. For whatever reason.

To give you an example:
Taylors has been in the industry for one of the longest around, and they have a good reputation. Every year, perhaps they have 1000 A-Level students already, it is not surprising if they have lets say 10 students that go to cambridge or imperial or oxford, that is only 1% by the way.

What happens to the rest of the 99%?

I'm not trying to kill your dreams, but you do really have to consider these figures, not everybody ends up in the top 1% and that is what most colleges advertise.

Just some tips, a few things you want to check

- Student to lecturer ratio ( if it is low, then higher chance to get some free "tuition" after classes )
- Budget ( A-Levels is just pre U, save money there and spend for your degree, or, save on your degree, pay for masters)
- Majority record ( Most colleges has some super TOP students who went into some super good Uni, find out where the others go. If you get to Princeton or Harvard or Oxford, good... but it is safer to bet on 99% than 1%)
- Take a walk around the college and feel the atmosphere ( sometimes you can feel that some students are cheerful, or some are slacking, some are so competitive; afterall whether you study well or not is influenced a lot by the culture of the college. I know of friends who go to very popular colleges, face peer pressure, end up going out partying and stuff like that)
- Don't pay too much attention to the advertisements, they are filled with marketing strategies; go talk with students and lecturers ( chances are that they don't get commision for enrolling you up )
+Quote Post
Cheesenium
post Oct 26 2007, 01:37 PM

Vigilo Confido

QUOTE(joellee @ Oct 26 2007, 10:41 AM)
To give you an example:
Taylors has been in the industry for one of the longest around, and they have a good reputation. Every year, perhaps they have 1000 A-Level students already, it is not surprising if they have lets say 10 students that go to cambridge or imperial or oxford, that is only 1% by the way.

What happens to the rest of the 99%?
Actually, having 17 students going to Cambridge is something to be proud.It's not a easy uni to enter and only that year,which is 2006,Taylors have 10+ students going to Cambridge.Other than that year,only a few manage to get an offer.Only one guy in my class got an offer from Cambridge.Besides,Cambridge has quota for Malaysia is about 30 students per year if im not wrong.

Most of my friends are in universities like MIT,NUS,University of Manchester and University of Melbourne.

Taylor's isnt a crappy place to go.Most of the lecturers are good too but there are some who arent so good.
+Quote Post
feynman
post Oct 26 2007, 02:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon

QUOTE(Cheesenium @ Oct 26 2007, 01:37 PM)
Actually, having 17 students going to Cambridge is something to be proud.It's not a easy uni to enter and only that year,which is 2006,Taylors have 10+ students going to Cambridge.Other than that year,only a few manage to get an offer.Only one guy in my class got an offer from Cambridge.Besides,Cambridge has quota for Malaysia is about 30 students per year if im not wrong.

Most of my friends are in universities like MIT,NUS,University of Manchester and University of Melbourne.

Taylor's isnt a crappy place to go.Most of the lecturers are good too but there are some who arent so good.
For medicine maybe.....but not for anything else.

So you have a lot of friends at MIT?
+Quote Post
Lemonfish
post Oct 26 2007, 04:21 PM

Getting Started

My intention is London School of Economic. But i heard it is tough to get in. If i am a science stream student with quite an excellent track of record, do u guys think i should give up my science and take up economic and accounting in A Level??
+Quote Post
joellee
post Oct 26 2007, 05:24 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Lemonfish @ Oct 26 2007, 04:21 PM)
My intention is London School of Economic. But i heard it is tough to get in. If i am a science stream student with quite an excellent track of record, do u guys think i should give up my science and take up economic and accounting in A Level??
if you want to play safe, check what subjects LSE need.
I havent check the requirements yet, but sometimes certain subjects are not needed as entry requirement

If possible you can still take some sciences, e.g. Math, Chem, Phy, Econs?
+Quote Post
feynman
post Oct 26 2007, 09:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lemonfish @ Oct 26 2007, 04:21 PM)
QUOTE(joellee @ Oct 26 2007, 05:24 PM)
if you want to play safe, check what subjects LSE need.
I havent check the requirements yet, but sometimes certain subjects are not needed as entry requirement

If possible you can still take some sciences, e.g. Math, Chem, Phy, Econs?
What Joellee said is correct. The most important thing to do a BSc Economics at LSE is mathematics, so if you apply with math FM, physics and econs or any other traditional subject, you will be a strong applicant. DO NOT take accounting if you intend to apply for BSc Economics. A-level economics is fine and you must know that you are not required to take it. It will not jeopardise your application.

This post has been edited by feynman: Oct 26 2007, 09:51 PM
+Quote Post
Aztec
post Oct 26 2007, 09:50 PM

im taking maths,chem and econs..dunno what i wanna take after A-Levels.. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
DannGun
post Oct 26 2007, 10:21 PM

On my way

Anyone from Help University College here?? I wanna know about their law programme... Help is a good university to study???
+Quote Post
cherryblossom
post Oct 27 2007, 12:04 AM

QUOTE(DannGun @ Oct 26 2007, 10:21 PM)
Anyone from Help University College here?? I wanna know about their law programme... Help is a good university to study???
y want Help? Go ATC la. Best record for external law programme, but other story lo if u want to take internal.
+Quote Post
Lemonfish
post Oct 27 2007, 01:16 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(cherryblossom @ Oct 27 2007, 12:04 AM)
y want Help? Go ATC la. Best record for external law programme, but other story lo if u want to take internal.
Wht is the difference between ATC external law degree and HELP internal law degree. BTW, where is ATC located. Can i have the full name of the college? I have a friend interested in taking law.

+Quote Post
cherryblossom
post Oct 27 2007, 10:11 PM

www.atc2u.com

the ATC website... located in Chinatown
well, the college i have to say is a bit lousy and not so good in their management
but they have a very good law library and their notes damn good.

external programme is how u finish ur couse locally by taking abroad exam from london university. of course can opt to transfer in middle.

while internal like those in help is where student need to study abroad and more expensive.
+Quote Post
DannGun
post Oct 28 2007, 11:28 PM

On my way

lolz...... i juz want information nia.... i won't take now coz i'm studying business now... disappointed that kch don't have law programme....
+Quote Post
cherryblossom
post Oct 28 2007, 11:43 PM

haha... i see
besides those big college that provide law like help and taylor, perhaps u can check out nirwana and mentari.
still... i think atc better
+Quote Post
DannGun
post Oct 29 2007, 09:14 PM

On my way

what is the full name of ATC??
+Quote Post
cherryblossom
post Oct 29 2007, 10:45 PM

Kemayan Advance Tertiery College
+Quote Post
alsree786
post Oct 29 2007, 11:54 PM

Enthusiast

yeah ATC is a very good law school for the courses they offer and probably also for the CLP...but their facilities are average, and amongst the many students, there are a few problem ones....a number students are leaving because of the atmosphere...but if that's not a problem...then shud be ok!
+Quote Post
ubeyou
post Oct 30 2007, 06:44 AM

DreamX

Hi i going to take 3 maths, 1 chem and 1 business, what college is your recommended?
+Quote Post
joellee
post Oct 30 2007, 12:54 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(ubeyou @ Oct 30 2007, 06:44 AM)
Hi i going to take 3 maths, 1 chem and 1 business, what college is your recommended?
how do you take 3 maths?

About Law, definitely BAC and ATC is much more famous. but it would always be good to get to know about other colleges offering them. The reason I say this is not because they are not good or anything, but BAC and ATC more or less only does law and perhaps slight variations of it.

It reduces your exposure to other fields for one. College years are quite interesting where u get to learn tons of stuff. ATC and BAC is smack in the middle of the city. Only buildings there. Not much of campus life.

+Quote Post
myhotgary2
post Oct 30 2007, 03:40 PM

former a levels from taylors here
everything is fairly good there actually...
the lecturers?there are to many of them, to tell u they're generally good is a lie...
crammed?yah...but u dun stay inside there why bother...u stay out eat out..
location?in the heart of sj,wat more do u want?
results from here are generally better than other institutions because there are really a bunch of nerdies (cool ppl oso got la) that gives u that peer pressure and make u do well...thats my opinion..lol
and my piece of advice...go for jan intakes...they get better tutors...
dun go for march...its too express and the tutors are inferior...but as i said...to generalize all the tutors is irrelevant..all are just my 1st hand experience...thats all
+Quote Post
DannGun
post Oct 30 2007, 11:47 PM

On my way

Where is ATC located??? Which foreign universities they collaborated with?? Can complete in malaysia??
+Quote Post
cherryblossom
post Oct 31 2007, 02:19 AM

It located at chinatown, cheapo place but many lawyers out from that place eh
ATC main in external programmes where students can complete their course locally.
there got part time and full time courses
Exam is from University of London
Last week there got Cardiff representative came to the college to intro bout their course, and normally there will be numbers of Atc students that will be taken into their University (in England)

+Quote Post
DannGun
post Oct 31 2007, 09:03 PM

On my way

I don't know where chinatown is... I suppose you mean Petaling Street?? I'm not from KL, anyway...... The tuition fees at ATC expensive ma?
+Quote Post
cain
post Oct 31 2007, 10:24 PM

User is delinquent

QUOTE(DannGun @ Oct 31 2007, 09:03 PM)
I don't know where chinatown is... I suppose you mean Petaling Street?? I'm not from KL, anyway...... The tuition fees at ATC expensive ma?
Yes, Chinatown=Petaling Street.

I'm not sure about the exact amount, but if i remember correctly, the tuition fees are not expensive compared to Taylor's...
+Quote Post
joellee
post Nov 1 2007, 03:02 PM

Getting Started

About Law,

I found out that Taylors have (if Im not wrong ) exclusive partnership with Reading U.

INTI would have A few: cardiff, Leeds, Sheffield...

About other colleges, wont know.

But first stage is still A-Levels la...
+Quote Post
lukige
post Nov 2 2007, 01:11 AM

hello, i just wanna ask if i didn't take biology for my SPM will I be allowed to take it for A Levels?
+Quote Post
andrienne
post Nov 2 2007, 04:57 PM

Casual

you will be allowed to take it. but it's not advisable to do so. you might have a problem during AS because it's a repetitive of spm syllabus. hence, you might be able to cope with it. but A2 is harder and completely different than AS because A2 focus more on practical+thinking rather than like AS, straight from the book in my experience.
+Quote Post
K-I-R-A
post Nov 2 2007, 06:04 PM

Getting Started

Hey, does anybody here have the mark schemes for Biology Paper 2(MCQ) from the year 1996 until 2001?(CIE board) I'm looking for them. If anybody has it, I'm willing to pay cause I can't find them. Thanks tongue.gif
+Quote Post
cain
post Nov 3 2007, 12:31 AM

User is delinquent

QUOTE(K-I-R-A @ Nov 2 2007, 06:04 PM)
Hey, does anybody here have the mark schemes for Biology Paper 2(MCQ) from the year 1996 until 2001?(CIE board) I'm looking for them. If anybody has it, I'm willing to pay cause I can't find them. Thanks tongue.gif
Mac Centre doesn't have them meh? If not, maybe you can try the library... u're off-topic btw
+Quote Post
cherryblossom
post Nov 3 2007, 02:00 AM

ATC fees for a level... to tell u, I forgot tongue.gif
registration fees = 1070 (include LAN subjects and library etc etc)
tuition fees, some where around 6k
exam fees around rm 1050 (cambridge)
so around 8k for one year course of a level
+Quote Post
alsree786
post Nov 6 2007, 11:49 PM

Enthusiast

if u want to do a local twinning or the UOL external programme...take the one year pre law A level....can be done at a few colleges including ATC, BAC and Nirwana. If u intend to go overseas and try your luck at Oxbridge or other colleges, take your time do the normal A levels at Taylors or Sunway...not many students score well by doing A levels in one year...quite tough
+Quote Post
mazel
post Dec 8 2007, 02:49 PM

for me,i ll say KTJ is better compared to other commercialised colls,not to offend any1 but KTJ is real good for a levels,my sis hv been studyin there,they hv small classes n good teachers,good food n accomodation..even one of my sis's history teacher is from UN,the student life is really great..fees is about 70k..
+Quote Post
kmf123
post Dec 8 2007, 09:52 PM

Casual

Sunway 17k+
Taylors 18K+
BAC <10K
ATC <10k
TAR <9k
KDU 12K+

Went to edu fair and these are my approximation
+Quote Post
despair89
post Dec 8 2007, 10:16 PM

Getting Started

what about Kolej Tunku Abdul Rahman?
RM6k+ for Cambridge A-levels, tope class facilities [huge ass library, olympic-size swimming pool, tennis bball badminton courts, etc etc]
yes darn fine lecturers too.

if you dont mind the more chinese educated demographic, TAR is a mighty good choice for a-levels.

And i disagree with people who claim that the name of college actually makes a difference. I dont think this is like being in university where the institution has a huge impact on your future prospects.

A-levels [cambridge, at the least] - set by the same orang putihs from london, marked by the same orang putihs from london. no matter if ur from taylors, tarc, or hong kong, its the same. why pay more? you tell me.
+Quote Post
K-I-R-A
post Dec 9 2007, 01:25 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(kmf123 @ Dec 8 2007, 09:52 PM)
Sunway 17k+
Taylors 18K+
BAC <10K
ATC <10k
TAR <9k
KDU 12K+

Hey taylors is 26k + rclxub.gif
+Quote Post
AzureSkies
post Dec 9 2007, 01:34 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(kmf123 @ Dec 8 2007, 09:52 PM)
Sunway 17k+
Taylors 18K+
BAC <10K
ATC <10k
TAR <9k
KDU 12K+

How about HELP?
+Quote Post
quintessential
post Dec 9 2007, 03:41 PM

松本 OUT

brickfields college is good and affordable.
+Quote Post
feynman
post Dec 9 2007, 03:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon

QUOTE(AzureSkies @ Dec 9 2007, 01:34 PM)
How about HELP?
Expect at least RM 20k.
+Quote Post
Hevrn
post Dec 9 2007, 04:35 PM

When I did it it was 4 subjects at RM16k (excluding exam fees, expect to fork out bout 2k more for this) and that was during 2005. Now if I'm not mistaken its RM20k for 4 subjects
+Quote Post
despair89
post Dec 10 2007, 01:55 AM

Getting Started

bear in mind that help's a-levels is modular instead of linear, as opposed to Cambridge a-levels.
+Quote Post
chgchksg128
post Dec 11 2007, 05:52 PM

Enthusiast

TARC is an alternative of all the collge above. Not many notice they offer A level as they famous for diploma and advance dip
taylors famous of the publicsity to the press whne the A level result came out...yes..the result is good...but not the only college in malaysia that the result is good....
In 10 yrs..Taylors fee already double up....wow..better than invest in share market
+Quote Post
StrikeZ
post Dec 11 2007, 07:38 PM

Casual

I'm taking A level and I'm planning to go for business after that ( oversea most probably ) ... I know its the grades that matter but then if I get really good lecturers I can score with less effort ... But then the price might be a problem for me .. 20++K is too expensive for A level I think .. Any good private college that offers A-level with good lecturers to recommend ?
+Quote Post
barrister
post Dec 16 2007, 04:43 PM

Taylors is always renowned for the record breaking results of its a-levels programme. Nonetheless, INTI is another popular alternative due to its lower tution and miscellaneuos fee.

My question is a bit direct, which institution can produce better students? what i mean is getting straight As.

Prospective and Current A-levels students are welcomed to post comments.
+Quote Post
sukun
post Dec 16 2007, 07:23 PM

Casual

"official" A-Lvl thread

make it quick, taylor arguable as the most expensive..thats all.
inti might between all of them...
+Quote Post
ffrulz
post Dec 16 2007, 08:27 PM

Over the hills and far away.

Generally what do you mean by which institution produces excellent scoring students? If you don't make the effort to study then you won't get good grades at all frankly.

This is my own opinion as a current A-Level student. Do you have any budget constraints? If none then follow then crowd and go to popular institutions like Taylors/Inti or the like. Anywhere will do as long you bother to make the effort.

What the above poster written is correct, Taylors have the highest fees currently for A Lvs. As for the lowest, AFAIK the lowest I've seen is RM5.8k or so for the full course excluding exam fees which are about RM1000+/- for 3 A level subjects.
+Quote Post
Benjamin911
post Dec 16 2007, 08:31 PM

~`~artisan`~

Hi, I am very new to all this Pre-U things...

If I want to study Engineering, but I have never done Physics and Calculus in high school before; can I learn Physics and Calculus in Pre-U?

This post has been edited by Benjamin911: Dec 16 2007, 08:32 PM
+Quote Post
harmeet15
post Dec 16 2007, 11:46 PM

<<Unleash Armageddon>>

QUOTE(ffrulz @ Dec 16 2007, 08:27 PM)
Generally what do you mean by which institution produces excellent scoring students? If you don't make the effort to study then you won't get good grades at all frankly.

This is my own opinion as a current A-Level student. Do you have any budget constraints? If none then follow then crowd and go to popular institutions like Taylors/Inti or the like. Anywhere will do as long you bother to make the effort.

What the above poster written is correct, Taylors have the highest fees currently for A Lvs. As for the lowest, AFAIK the lowest I've seen is RM5.8k or so for the full course excluding exam fees which are about RM1000+/- for 3 A level subjects.
well said..
thr is no such ting if the kolej produces high achievers, u wud be 1 of them..
its all up 2 u..

but u can take da following points in2 consideration...

1. taylors surrounded by mamak place, open/ public area..traffic n all..not tat u r studying on da road but just da environment is like tat..u must be able 2 control urself n manage between study n time-out..

2. inti is surrounded by land n long neva ending roads...if u can live in tat kinda environment..then just study laa...got entertainment..nt like subang area...

u can go 2 da places n have a look urself 2 decide ma

icon_rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
pumpkinn
post Dec 17 2007, 12:24 AM

Getting Started

i took A level in taylor's 2 years ago. i chose taylor's bcuz it is the biggest Cambridge board centre in M'sia. experienced lecturers are there. topic tests are given at least once a month to make sure students will do constant work. it is a very good environment to study becuz most of the students there are "kia su". though the tuition fee is a bit more expensive, but worth it! according to counselors from some famous universities, taylor's produce better students. but this is stil depend on the students themselves. smile.gif

Added on December 17, 2007, 12:38 am
QUOTE(Benjamin911 @ Dec 16 2007, 08:31 PM)
Hi, I am very new to all this Pre-U things...

If I want to study Engineering, but I have never done Physics and Calculus in high school before; can I learn Physics and Calculus in Pre-U?
well...depends on which pre U u going to choose. as i know, A level pre engineering course (PE classes) will go very deep for math. 4 eg. further math which is not easy at all!!!!!!!!! if u don hav any basis, maybe u can cope but u have put twice effort. good luck rclxms.gif

This post has been edited by pumpkinn: Dec 17 2007, 12:38 AM
+Quote Post
feynman
post Dec 17 2007, 02:59 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon

QUOTE(pumpkinn @ Dec 17 2007, 12:24 AM)
i took A level in taylor's 2 years ago. i chose taylor's bcuz it is the biggest Cambridge board centre in M'sia. experienced lecturers are there. topic tests are given at least once a month to make sure students will do constant work. it is a very good environment to study becuz most of the students there are "kia su". though the tuition fee is a bit more expensive, but worth it! according to counselors from some famous universities, taylor's produce better students. but this is stil depend on the students themselves.  smile.gif

Added on December 17, 2007, 12:38 am

well...depends on which pre U u going to choose. as i know, A level pre engineering course (PE classes) will go very deep for math. 4 eg. further math which is not easy at all!!!!!!!!! if u don hav any basis, maybe u can cope but u have put twice effort. good luck  rclxms.gif
There are lots of experienced lecturers at HELP too. Many of them were formerly from Taylor's. Those studying at TARC are also given monthly tests, if they fail, they will be barred from taking their AS. TARC has also a lot of kiasu students and the tuition fee is low.

So which are those famous universities that you are talking about?
+Quote Post
Mengzz
post Dec 17 2007, 12:40 PM

People said that A'level is very tough.Then,anyone knows how many people in Malaysia score 5A(Maximum 5 subjects) in their final exam?

This post has been edited by Mengzz: Dec 17 2007, 12:41 PM
+Quote Post
pumpkinn
post Dec 17 2007, 12:47 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(feynman @ Dec 17 2007, 02:59 AM)
There are lots of experienced lecturers at HELP too. Many of them were formerly from Taylor's. Those studying at TARC are also given monthly tests, if they fail, they will be barred from taking their AS. TARC has also a lot of kiasu students and the tuition fee is low.

So which are those famous universities that you are talking about?
A level in HELP is the London board's. as my fren told me, those universities in UK will always prefer Cambridge board students especially for some professional courses like medicine and etc. TARC's A level do not provide certain subjects like thinking skills which is available in Taylor's. if im not mistaken, my fren who took A level in TARC told me, TARC don provide some compulsory subjects like malaysian studies and moral which are a MUST to complete them in order to grad in M'sia. taking these subjects in university is quite a waste of time.
+Quote Post
feynman
post Dec 17 2007, 02:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon

QUOTE(pumpkinn @ Dec 17 2007, 12:47 PM)
A level in HELP is the London board's. as my fren told me, those universities in UK will always prefer Cambridge board students especially for some professional courses like medicine and etc. TARC's A level do not provide certain subjects like thinking skills which is available in Taylor's. if im not mistaken, my fren who took A level in TARC told me, TARC don provide some compulsory subjects like malaysian studies and moral which are a MUST to complete them in order to grad in M'sia. taking these subjects in university is quite a waste of time.
Wrong on many counts.

Firstly, stop spewing nonsense if you don't know what is it like in the UK. If your friend told you that British universities prefer CIE, then he or she is talking rot. There are so many boards in the UK and many do not have any affiliation with Cambridge, the university or the exam board whatsoever. The largest board in the UK is AQA. CIE is not even present in the UK.

You can check the entry requirements for medicine at ALL British universities and you will NEVER find the slightest mention of a particular exam board from which the As must originate.

Who gives a hoot about thinking skills? It's nothing, offers are not based on thinking skills, but on the core subjects.

Malaysian studies and Moral studies are not required if you study in a government funded institution. If you took them during your A-level, and end up doing a twinning program locally, chances are high that you have to retake the same subjects for credits.

A student from TARC and a student from Taylor's, both did A-level and ended up in the same course in the same university in the UK. Who is the fool? One spent 20k to score AAA and took Moral and Malaysian studies while the other paid RM6k and took nothing extra.

This post has been edited by feynman: Dec 17 2007, 02:58 PM
+Quote Post
dinzzehoe
post Dec 17 2007, 08:01 PM

Hey, hoping for advise from you guys...im planning to sign up for a college in the next few days ive been doing my research but it hardly helped me haha im torn between two colleges Sunway and Taylors im planning of going into the accouting or business field so doing my pre-u first and either AUSMAT or CIMP...or are those courses not good in the long term where entering unis might be a problem? Any pointers at all would be good thanks!
+Quote Post
starryangel
post Dec 18 2007, 05:33 PM

Getting Started

If i take biology, chemistry and mathematics for A-levels, can i pursue Medicine after that?
Or is it compulsory to take up physics and phsychology as well?
+Quote Post
azmihamzah
post Dec 18 2007, 06:07 PM

I love Nikon

i went to TARC for my a-level before. Now doing masters in UKM after finished my Bachelor in Biomedicine at one of IPTS in malaysia.

One good news for SPM scorer who got 9As or 10As, the tuition fees for a-level course at TARC is FOC. Yeah, free of charge!!

Added on December 18, 2007, 6:08 pmErmmm... why there isn't TARC in the poll?

This post has been edited by azmihamzah: Dec 18 2007, 06:08 PM
+Quote Post
despair89
post Dec 18 2007, 11:31 PM

Getting Started

Entry into universities are based on Principal subjects. Even General Paper do not count as much as cores such as Mathematics, Physics, etc.

QUOTE(azmihamzah @ Dec 18 2007, 06:07 PM)

No idea, maybe people here are bandwagon jumpers and more inclined to follow the "taylor-and-HELP-is-the-best-because-they-advertise-on-the-papers-and-my-friends-tell-me-a-lot-about-it" mantra.
+Quote Post
alsree786
post Dec 18 2007, 11:40 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(feynman @ Dec 17 2007, 02:39 PM)
Wrong on many counts.

Firstly, stop spewing nonsense if you don't know what is it like in the UK. If your friend told you that British universities prefer CIE, then he or she is talking rot. There are so many boards in the UK and many do not have any affiliation with Cambridge, the university or the exam board whatsoever. The largest board in the UK is AQA. CIE is not even present in the UK.

You can check the entry requirements for medicine at ALL British universities and you will NEVER find the slightest mention of a particular exam board from which the As must originate.

Who gives a hoot about thinking skills? It's nothing, offers are not based on thinking skills, but on the core subjects.

Malaysian studies and Moral studies are not required if you study in a government funded institution. If you took them during your A-level, and end up doing a twinning program locally, chances are high that you have to retake the same subjects for credits.

A student from TARC and a student from Taylor's, both did A-level and ended up in the same course in the same university in the UK. Who is the fool? One spent 20k to score AAA and took Moral and Malaysian studies while the other paid RM6k and took nothing extra.
Agree with u somewhat...tho not about the last bit...
+Quote Post
ffrulz
post Dec 19 2007, 08:57 AM

Over the hills and far away.

QUOTE(starryangel @ Dec 18 2007, 05:33 PM)
If i take biology, chemistry and mathematics for A-levels, can i pursue Medicine after that?
Usually for medicine, chemistry and physics combination will do, however if you want to take up biology and chemistry combo that will do as well as long you have chemistry.
+Quote Post
feynman
post Dec 19 2007, 09:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon

QUOTE(starryangel @ Dec 18 2007, 05:33 PM)
Try to take at least 4 subjects if you can.
+Quote Post
jimi7
post Jan 1 2008, 02:22 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(azmihamzah @ Dec 18 2007, 06:07 PM)
i went to TARC for my a-level before. Now doing masters in UKM after finished my Bachelor in Biomedicine at one of IPTS in malaysia.

One good news for SPM scorer who got 9As or 10As, the tuition fees for a-level course at TARC is FOC. Yeah, free of charge!!

Yeah,that sounds good..
Also take a look at Stamford College
If you got at least 8As then it'll also be FOC
+Quote Post
namcai
post Mar 26 2008, 11:46 AM

TARC is the best
+Quote Post
JennyLoveSS
post Mar 31 2008, 04:56 PM

Getting Started

Taylors,HELP and Sunway r too expensiv for their A-levels course,
it's quite absurd to spend 25k to 30k in Pre-U studies......

Among colleges tat provide A-levels wif da fees arond 10k to 15k,
which r most preferred?
+Quote Post
siew14
post Mar 31 2008, 06:41 PM

Casual

QUOTE(JennyLoveSS @ Mar 31 2008, 04:56 PM)
Taylors,HELP and Sunway r too expensiv for their A-levels course,
it's quite absurd to spend 25k to 30k in Pre-U studies......

Among colleges tat provide A-levels wif da fees arond 10k to 15k,
which r most preferred?
But their facilties, fame and location makes they have the right to charge higher.. biggrin.gif
Go tarc or F6 then...

This post has been edited by siew14: Mar 31 2008, 06:43 PM
+Quote Post
StrikeZ
post Mar 31 2008, 06:54 PM

Casual

I think the bet goes to Inti College for the budget range.
+Quote Post
Z a C
post Mar 31 2008, 07:48 PM

is UCSI good?
+Quote Post
jcheok2
post Apr 6 2008, 03:36 PM

Enthusiast

hi everyone. i suppose people do not know Kolej Tuanku Jaafar well enough ..
it is quite a good school and im doing my A level there.
Although it is a bit pricey, around rm40+k per year, but u get an early exposure to overseas environment with the expat staffs, and a very nice blend of students from various countries as well as backgrounds. people like taylor, i mean i do like taylor too.. WHY ? honestly the education there is crap. but we can go clubbing at night...or mamak ....or AC for lunch .. starbucks between lectures.. but that is not part of the good education you are looking for. KTJ is a british school which offers u a whole package. I was in an ordinary school and even University Teknologi Petronas before... A british school is worth going. but there is one thing i would forgo british sch for...which is an american school LOL ...ISKL is a very good example.
but KTJ is the perfect path if u r going to UK for further studies... not to forget that our school has good relationship with many uni in UK..so it is easier to get in tongue.gif

anybody who is interested to know more bout KOLEJ TUANKU JAAFAR can pm me or add me in msn. im more than happy to share.

besides, those who are interested in scholarship interview tips or those who are interested in bank negara and/or petronas scholarship can contact me as well..im willing to share :>

This post has been edited by jcheok2: Apr 6 2008, 03:40 PM
+Quote Post
bonedragon
post Apr 6 2008, 08:32 PM

Casual

Wow RM40k..I think you can get a degree from UTAR already with that price...
+Quote Post
feynman
post Apr 7 2008, 01:31 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon

QUOTE(jcheok2 @ Apr 6 2008, 03:36 PM)
hi everyone. i suppose people do not know Kolej Tuanku Jaafar well enough ..
it is quite a good school and im doing my A level there.
Although it is a bit pricey, around rm40+k per year, but u get an early exposure to overseas environment with the expat staffs, and a very nice blend of students from various countries as well as backgrounds. people like taylor, i mean i do like taylor too.. WHY ? honestly the education there is crap. but we can go clubbing at night...or mamak ....or AC for lunch .. starbucks between lectures.. but that is not part of the good education you are looking for. KTJ is a british school which offers u a whole package. I was in an ordinary school and even University Teknologi Petronas before... A british school is worth going. but there is one thing i would forgo british sch for...which is an american school LOL ...ISKL is a very good example.
but KTJ is the perfect path if u r going to UK for further studies... not to forget that our school has good relationship with many uni in UK..so it is easier to get in tongue.gif

anybody who is interested to know more bout KOLEJ TUANKU JAAFAR can pm me or add me in msn. im more than happy to share.

besides, those who are interested in scholarship interview tips or those who are interested in bank negara and/or petronas scholarship can contact me as well..im willing to share :>
How difficult is it to get into British universities?
+Quote Post
ComradeZ
post Apr 9 2008, 09:14 PM

Feelwayoveryourhead

thumbup.gif
QUOTE(feynman @ Apr 7 2008, 01:31 AM)
How difficult is it to get into British universities?
why waste time at your level you can straight go to that particular course if you are interested in Medic. Try call this 0377811308

They have this University calloboration with University of Manchester in UK and they are recognised by MMC and JPA.The course is effordable.
After 6 years you will be a qualified doctor/dentist/pharmacy earning RM6000 per month or probably more by then. Good luck make the right choice.

+Quote Post
Octavios
post Apr 9 2008, 11:56 PM

Casual

Among all,which is the better choice with a cheaper fees?
+Quote Post
becca_yeo
post Apr 10 2008, 12:17 PM

Can i know what so special about the name with TAYLOR big name. They are not the same group as Taylor Australia. I dont know what make Taylor tht special. Mind to elaborate???

Taylor's is nothin wat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Added on October 21, 2007, 6:22 pmif an Uni selects students based on where they come from, den it's for sure some probs wif the Uni d

by wgy589: Oct 21 2007, 06:22 PM

OK, [B]FAST ACCURATE FACTS ABOUT TAYLOR'S COLLEGE,MALAYSIA. [/B]

1) No, it has nothing to do with TAYLORS Australia. Here, it's called TAYLOR'S. There in Oz, TAYLORS. And do know that it is the Taylors in Aussie that's nothing compared to Msia's. Read on and you shall know.

2) True, name does not contribute to admission to universities. Esp, a little college in Msia, in the eyes of the world, it is just as, well...tiny. Here we are not talking about names but of the academic excellence of Taylors.

3) EVERY YEAR, TAYLOR'S A-LEVEL RESULTS ARE HIGHER THAN CAMBRIDGE ITSELF. If you don't believe, just give Cambridge a call.

4) A LEVELS TOP OF THE WORLD WINNERS are born in Taylors. Look at 2007, Joshua Tan-i think i forgot his name of Taylors have grabbed the title for all FOUR SUBJECTS. Still got a few more, but i forgot their names.

5) Teachers are dedicated and hardworking. Well, partly the Human Resources are responsible for pushing them to work harder and harder with whip cord in hand.

6) Most of all, Taylor's provide exposure to their students to the outside world. Information about universities spread around like wild fire even without help from their placement service centre. EXPOSURE, EXPOSURE..very soon you will realised that the universities are reachable and so close to your grasp.

to all jealous college kids, stop saying things that you do not know well about. And, stop the perception that its only for rich kids.

The fees may be more costly than other colleges but do take note: The fees compared to uni fees are like a drop of water to the ocean. Going to taylors for a lvls is certainly the right choice.

This post has been edited by becca_yeo: Apr 10 2008, 12:22 PM
+Quote Post
SeLrAhC
post Apr 10 2008, 12:21 PM

★★★7Star★General★★★

taylors good lar.. but i know a few years back help curi their teachers...

if u want good stuff no cheaop stuff
+Quote Post
Octavios
post Apr 10 2008, 02:40 PM

Casual

QUOTE(becca_yeo @ Apr 10 2008, 12:17 PM)

1) No, it has nothing to do with TAYLORS Australia. Here, it's called TAYLOR'S. There in Oz, TAYLORS. And do know that it is the Taylors in Aussie that's nothing compared to Msia's. Read on and you shall know.

2) True, name does not contribute to admission to universities. Esp, a little college in Msia, in the eyes of the world, it is just as, well...tiny. Here we are not talking about names but of the academic excellence of Taylors.

3) EVERY YEAR, TAYLOR'S A-LEVEL RESULTS ARE HIGHER THAN CAMBRIDGE ITSELF. If you don't believe, just give Cambridge a call.

4) A LEVELS TOP OF THE WORLD WINNERS are born in Taylors. Look at 2007, Joshua Tan-i think i forgot his name of Taylors have grabbed the title for all FOUR SUBJECTS. Still got a few more, but i forgot their names.

5) Teachers are dedicated and hardworking. Well, partly the Human Resources are responsible for pushing them to work harder and harder with whip cord in hand.

6) Most of all, Taylor's provide exposure to their students to the outside world. Information about universities spread around like wild fire even without help from their placement service centre. EXPOSURE, EXPOSURE..very soon you will realised that the universities are reachable and so close to your grasp.

to all jealous college kids, stop saying things that you do not know well about. And, stop the perception that its only for rich kids.

The fees may be more costly than other colleges but do take note: The fees compared to uni fees are like a drop of water to the ocean. Going to taylors for a lvls is certainly the right choice.
What do you mean by "the fees compared to uni fees are like a drop of water to the ocean"?what are you trying to implies by this? rclxub.gif
+Quote Post
crazy0ne007
post Apr 11 2008, 03:34 PM

Getting Started

why is TARC don't have the LAN subject as malaysian study and moral?
i heard that is compulsory subjects.

Added on April 11, 2008, 3:37 pm
QUOTE(feynman @ Dec 17 2007, 02:39 PM)

Is it true about the 'Malaysian studies and Moral studies are not required if you study in a government funded institution'?
So even the A-levels in TARC do not have these,they are still the same with A-levels in Taylors?

The 2 students are your friends?

This post has been edited by crazy0ne007: Apr 11 2008, 03:37 PM
+Quote Post
zacktan
post Apr 11 2008, 05:04 PM

On my way

QUOTE(becca_yeo @ Apr 10 2008, 12:17 PM)

didn't know that taylor in australia is not the same as taylor's here.. wow shocking.gif
+Quote Post
freakfingers12
post Apr 16 2008, 06:22 PM

Honor thy father

Post deleted tongue.gif

This post has been edited by freakfingers12: Apr 16 2008, 10:49 PM
+Quote Post
cardec88
post Apr 16 2008, 09:29 PM

Getting Started

Yeos....I did my A level in TARC previously. For poor people like me i have no choice but i to go to TARC. People thinks TARC students speak chinese only but actually A level students in TARC do speak English(some la). If you like to go CC, you can choose TARC becoz there is a CC paradise. But there safety is a problem la, I myself also kena rompak just before my AS.

I'm lucky becoz I have experienced lecturers guiding me, they are also willing to help. But those newbie lecturers abit(very) noob la. Also arts students in TARC fared relatively worse compared to science A lvl student, this i dunno whether is lecturer's problem or students problem.

Most importantly is not the college name la, I every week go CC(maybe pay more than those who went to taylors haha), kena rompak, even failed in my 2nd chemistry monthly test, in the end i still managed to 'kai' 4 As....haha

Since money is not a problem even u screw up your A lvls oso nevermind la......My fren 1 B oso dun have he go australia study.... So most important is to enjoy ur college life!!!
+Quote Post
sanesaint
post Apr 16 2008, 10:23 PM

Casual

hey there is anyone going for the july intake? and can anyone gimme some advice/tips/info on the a-levels programmes at sunway, kdu and inti? info like average no. of students in a class for a-levels (science), quality of lecturers and stuff like that.

and what other colleges are there besides taylors, help, sunway, kdu and inti?

This post has been edited by sanesaint: Apr 17 2008, 02:02 PM
+Quote Post
Timetraveler
post Apr 27 2008, 05:47 PM

Sunway held small classes with each class generally having 20 to 30 student max, personal attention are taken care by lecturers.further math are not offer for july intake students so if ur planning on taking it sunway may be scrap off from ur list.for the lecturer,most of them are good and experience and there are a few good math lecturer here,anyway there are good lecturers as well as so-so lecturer here so it all depend on ur luck.facility wise,they are great,we have a complete college campus and a very nice library.dont worry if u planning to go sunway the quality here is assured and the lecturers teaching ability had been assessed by the college beforhand.
+Quote Post
guitarsenpai
post Oct 16 2008, 06:42 PM

If i were to study dentistry, which path should i take. a levels or ausmat?
and which uni offers good lecturing considering that money is a problem.
twinning?
+Quote Post
chaoshero
post Oct 16 2008, 11:12 PM

Casual

QUOTE(Lemonfish @ Oct 21 2007, 05:30 PM)
HELP of course. With 97% passing rate & in every 3 students, 1 get straight As. Overall on the average lecturers have more than 10 years experience. Best lecturers from Taylors like Ms. Aw for Maths, Ms. Ng Choo Kin for Chem & Francis Dun who produce 16 World Awards for Accounting & many more. In fact we do house most of those exprience lecturers who came from Taylors , KDU etc

Added on October 16, 2008, 11:26 pmHai I'm doing some social service here & it's free of charge...anyway I'm Econs lecturer from HELP A-Levels Dept. I'm helping my students to learn Econs via out-of-the-box way. Totally different from conventional class-textbook method.

It's more interactive & I set up an Economics blog....so any of u guys out there having Econs query do come in http://econsguide.blogspot.com to ask me Econs question. FOC guaranteed!!!

This post has been edited by chaoshero: Oct 16 2008, 11:26 PM
+Quote Post
maxtek
post Oct 16 2008, 11:46 PM

TH3 P3RF3C7!0N!5T

QUOTE(chaoshero @ Oct 16 2008, 11:12 PM)
HELP of course. With 97% passing rate & in every 3 students, 1 get straight As. Overall on the average lecturers have more than 10 years experience. Best lecturers from Taylors like Ms. Aw for Maths, Ms. Ng Choo Kin for Chem & Francis Dun who produce 16 World Awards for Accounting & many more. In fact we do house most of those exprience lecturers who came from Taylors , KDU etc

Added on October 16, 2008, 11:26 pmHai I'm doing some social service here & it's free of charge...anyway I'm Econs lecturer from HELP A-Levels Dept. I'm helping my students to learn Econs via out-of-the-box way. Totally different from conventional class-textbook method.

It's more interactive & I set up an Economics blog....so any of u guys out there having Econs query do come in http://econsguide.blogspot.com to ask me Econs question. FOC guaranteed!!!
I'd agree with him. But I'm from Taylors. So far their Furmats lecturers are "okay", not exceptional to say the least.
+Quote Post
loveuallso
post Oct 17 2008, 04:52 PM

Getting Started

taylors is good, but its so fkin crowded. the library is even worse then the LRT, there's ppl everywhere. sunway is better, taylors is good cuz most scholars go there.
+Quote Post
JustForFun
post Oct 18 2008, 01:49 PM

Seeker

For your information, Disted college has been a consistent scorer for General Paper ( Top In Malaysia ) and had just won the Pure Maths AS top in world last June. What's more ? If you're confident of yourself, Disted offers a one year course which helps you to access your dream faster, in a shorter time.
+Quote Post
neorelated4
post Oct 18 2008, 02:23 PM

Getting Started

I don't know if anyone has posted this already but.. here's some additional info on HELP A levels for 2009:

pay before 1st november 2008 and u pay this year's fees!! pay after that and prepare to spend few thousand ringgit more... wink.gif
+Quote Post
CLF
post Oct 18 2008, 09:00 PM

Regular

I'm finishing my Cambridge A Level at TARC.

I must say that for the amount of money you spend there, it's quite worth it. There're dedicated lecturers and good study environment.

For A Level Science subjects, the fee is about RM 8k++.
If your SPM is 8 A's and above, you'll be waived from the course fee.

For budget students, I think TARC is the place to go if you can't afford those high-end colleges. Of course, whether it works for you also depends on yourself, how you carry yourself studyin' especially those coming from other states.
+Quote Post
Xp3rT
post Oct 20 2008, 04:19 PM

Institute Science And Management Sabah~
+Quote Post
jhong
post Oct 20 2008, 08:00 PM

On my way

HELP is doing good since they have a good lecturers there.
+Quote Post
audio0316
post Oct 20 2008, 09:05 PM

I did A levels in HELP and it was a wonderful experience. Lecturers are good and the life there is good too. Convenient, except for the travel from the main block to kpd and wisma help lar...
+Quote Post
cherriedpie
post Oct 20 2008, 09:57 PM

Casual

QUOTE(neorelated4 @ Oct 18 2008, 02:23 PM)
I don't know if anyone has posted this already but.. here's some additional info on HELP A levels for 2009:

pay before 1st november 2008 and u pay this year's fees!! pay after that and prepare to spend few thousand ringgit more...  wink.gif
darn!!!111!!!

still having my trials now. =( =(

can apply without forecast? :3
+Quote Post
thistle
post Oct 22 2008, 12:15 AM

Casual

I was wondering, where are scholars sent to for pre-u?

And what about internationals (those who do not continue to 6th form in their international schools)?
+Quote Post
SevsGirl85
post Mar 1 2009, 08:54 PM

Hi

I was thinking of taking A levels in July but I haven't found a proper collage that is also offering reasonable prices. I was looking at Methodist collage. Can anyone help me?
+Quote Post
Synthesia
post Mar 2 2009, 02:50 PM

.:Love PhotoGraphy:.

According to the votes.
Welcome to taylors smile.gif
The name itself tells you. 'Cambridge' A Levels
+Quote Post
jjplaw
post Apr 2 2009, 12:16 PM

Hi,

I would like get some advice for my sister's education path.

She obtained 8As and 2Bs for her SPM. She seems to be interested to pursue her tertiary education in the biotechnology area.
As of now, she plans to do her A-level in Disted Stamford, Penang and do very well to get a scholarship to go overseas. doh.gif
If it was that easy... rclxub.gif If she doesnt get a scholarship, then she'll just apply to one of the local U.

My family is not that well to do. My dad is retiring this year. However, we did manage to save up some money for my sis education. Probably just enough for her A-level. In addition, she demands a car if she goes to Penang.

Due to influence from her friends (unfortunately most of them are from well to do families), she does not want to even consider other options. We thought of sending her to a private local U for foundation course. Below are some of her stupid reasons:
1. UTAR - too chinaman like (i dont even know what that means)
2. AIMST - in kampung area
3. Public U - STPM - I want to get away from home
4. Public U - Matric - I didnt apply

So I would like to get some advice on the following:
1) What other local colleges and universities are popular with courses and facilities for biotechnology?
2) What is the probability of getting a scholarship with a good A-Level result?
3) Anyone had completed A-level here? I heard there are two choices in A-level, AS and A2? Whats the diff? Are the syllabus similar to SPM/STPM?

Please advise. icon_question.gif
+Quote Post
endrylim
post Apr 2 2009, 01:04 PM

Getting Started

University Science Malaysia is accepting Alevels Students o...So its very very cheap n hopefully when the ranking goes up it'll be worthwhile o!
+Quote Post
siew14
post Apr 2 2009, 03:18 PM

Casual

QUOTE(jjplaw @ Apr 2 2009, 12:16 PM)
Hi,

I would like get some advice for my sister's education path.

She obtained 8As and 2Bs for her SPM. She seems to be interested to pursue her tertiary education in the biotechnology area.
As of now, she plans to do her A-level in Disted Stamford, Penang and do very well to get a scholarship to go overseas.  doh.gif
If it was that easy... rclxub.gif If she doesnt get a scholarship, then she'll just apply to one of the local U.

My family is not that well to do. My dad is retiring this year. However, we did manage to save up some money for my sis education. Probably just enough for her A-level. In addition, she demands a car if she goes to Penang.

Due to influence from her friends (unfortunately most of them are from well to do families), she does not want to even consider other options. We thought of sending her to a private local U for foundation course. Below are some of her stupid reasons:
1. UTAR - too chinaman like (i dont even know what that means)
2. AIMST - in kampung area
3. Public U - STPM - I want to get away from home
4. Public U - Matric - I didnt apply

So I would like to get some advice on the following:
1) What other local colleges and universities are popular with courses and facilities for biotechnology?
2) What is the probability of getting a scholarship with a good A-Level result?
3) Anyone had completed A-level here? I heard there are two choices in A-level, AS and A2? Whats the diff? Are the syllabus similar to SPM/STPM?

Please advise.  icon_question.gif
walow eh.. chinaman???? yur sister got prob with them, and yur sis not cina????? macam sangat racist.. hahahah
anyway,

1) popular = expensive for most of the college /uni.. no idea for biotech.. IMU maybe?? lol
2) low... according to my pre-u lecturer in taylor's, it is much harder to get scholarship with a-lv result compare to SPM..
3) no idea...

actually tarc / utar is quite a good place to complete a-lv with low cost.

Added on April 2, 2009, 3:23 pmbtw.. just wana add on.. if yur sis really really 200% confirm she wana do biotech, go for ADP.. much faster..
i mean graduate faster with ADP..

ADP = american degree program

This post has been edited by siew14: Apr 2 2009, 03:23 PM
+Quote Post
chungdavi
post Apr 2 2009, 05:17 PM

Casual

AS and A2 is separated parts of whole A-Level syllabus......

I completed my A-Levels in TARC.....so, I'll talk about the situation in TARC......

The lecturers completed teaching the AS syllabus using half a year, then 1 year for A2 syllabus.....

You will take A-Level exams twice, for your whole course........

Normally it's like dividing the syllabus to 2 parts.......and let you complete the 1st part and go for exam 1st.....then you can concentrate your study on the 2nd part......

So, AS is the 1st part and A2 is the 2nd part.......

I'll take Biology as an example......this subject have 5 papers to take in total.....
You will take 3 papers for AS, and the remaining 2 papers for A2.......

The grades you get in AS exam, will combine with A2 exam later on........and get the final grade....

So, it's unlike STPM, which you do the exam only 1 time......1 shot have to revise the whole syllabus........

By the way, STPM and A-Level syllabus is similar......
How similar, I don't know, I never take STPM before.....

This post has been edited by chungdavi: Apr 2 2009, 05:19 PM
+Quote Post
C-Note
post Apr 2 2009, 05:52 PM

starry starry night

which college got the best science(phy,chem,bio,maths) lecturers?
+Quote Post
genielo
post Apr 14 2009, 10:30 AM

hi,
i would like to get some advice from u all.Is tarc college good in cambrigde a level? thank you

+Quote Post
chungdavi
post Apr 14 2009, 12:20 PM

Casual

QUOTE(genielo @ Apr 14 2009, 10:30 AM)
hi,
i would like to get some advice from u all.Is tarc college good in cambrigde a level? thank you
Not bad.....and the fees is cheaper.....
+Quote Post
kywong
post Jun 8 2009, 04:33 PM

QUOTE(Lemonfish @ Oct 21 2007, 05:27 PM)
I am a SPM students and looking foward to do A-Level. Please vote for the best A LEVEL school in terms of academic performance, college location, and facilities.  Do give some feedback regarding the A Level Programme in each college if you have gone through them.

HELP UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
Taylor University College
Sunway University College
Kolej Tunku Jaafar
UCSI
Institut Sinaran Sabah
INTI COLLEGE MALAYSIA
smile.gif
Methodist College KL is a good place to study A-Levels. It is based on the London Edexcel A-Levels, which is a modular system. As far as I know, it has a good track record, with some of its students entering University of Cambridge, Australian National University etc. on scholarships.

The college is situated near KL Sentral, and easily accessible via LRT, monorail, buses, etc.

In terms of facilities, they have well equipped labs & classrooms, basketball court, multi-purpose hall and badminton court, and they are building a new extension with even more facilities.

More information: http://www.methodistcollegekl.edu.my

This post has been edited by kywong: Jun 8 2009, 04:35 PM
+Quote Post
mrRighthand
post Jun 8 2009, 06:57 PM

Casual

one thing to note, this poll is prone to bias voting from former n current students. with a larger pool of students u would expect taylor to lead the poll. I'm not saying everyone whom voted exercised perception bias but u get the idea.

i think most ex-students will agree with me, where u take alevel does not really matter. of course to a certain extent. IMO, the determining factor should be location, fees and credibility.

and those who say cambridge paper is better than london paper(or vice versa) is giving their own opinion without concrete evidence.(i took cambridge paper)

This post has been edited by mrRighthand: Jun 8 2009, 07:01 PM
+Quote Post
mguivono
post Jul 21 2009, 04:06 AM

am a SPM leaver. wanting to do Cambridge A level mainly for the scholarship and the later year enter UK uni, but i am quite too old for my age, 20 =X, so actually planning to do a special 1 year program, im wondering if SAM or ICPU offer great scholarships or sponsors too as these both duration also 1 year which is shorter and easier for scoring? As i know A level still the world wide regconize and more easier to collect the fund lah..

Does anyone know which college in m'sia provide the 1 year program? AFAIK Sunway do offer, but due to its quite expensive tuition fee, i dont think it's a wise choice for me. Anyone know any other colleges in anywhere in m'sia offer this special program?

or maybe will consider a home study with applying for the UK based exam...

Btw, actually im considering to take Physic, Econ or Law, with Business Studies subjects, wondering if is it ok with this combination? But I afraid that most colleges dont offer this combination == hahaa.. So any smart ideas to make it happen? wondering if taking different subjects from different colleges would be a stupid choice hrmmm doh.gif

Added on July 24, 2009, 12:19 ambump for post! no one answer me ah =(

This post has been edited by mguivono: Jul 24 2009, 12:19 AM
+Quote Post
Darkoda
post Aug 3 2009, 03:49 PM

It is obvious Taylor's will be the top choice for people. I don't really know if Taylor's is really that good. From what I know, Taylor's is very good in selling and marketing it's brand. That's why most people think of Taylor's once SPM is done.

It has a high quality education system with multiple twinning programs with top universities. But I don't really know if the 'educators' are that good in delivering the knowledge.

Plus, it's fees are very expensive too if you compare to the facilities and campus space you are on...

Added on August 3, 2009, 3:52 pm
QUOTE(mguivono @ Jul 21 2009, 04:06 AM)
am a SPM leaver. wanting to do Cambridge A level mainly for the scholarship and the later year enter UK uni, but i am quite too old for my age, 20 =X, so actually planning to do a special 1 year program, im wondering if SAM or ICPU offer great scholarships or sponsors too as these both duration also 1 year which is shorter and easier for scoring? As i know A level still the world wide regconize and more easier to collect the fund lah..

Does anyone know which college in m'sia provide the 1 year program? AFAIK Sunway do offer, but due to its quite expensive tuition fee, i dont think it's a wise choice for me. Anyone know any other colleges in anywhere in m'sia offer this special program?

or maybe will consider a home study with applying for the UK based exam...

Btw, actually im considering to take Physic, Econ or Law, with Business Studies subjects, wondering if is it ok with this combination? But I afraid that most colleges dont offer this combination == hahaa.. So any smart ideas to make it happen? wondering if taking different subjects from different colleges would be a stupid choice hrmmm doh.gif

Added on July 24, 2009, 12:19 ambump for post!  no one answer me ah =(
Well, my advise is, LAW and ECON is a very heavy subject. A Levels LAW itself is like having 3 subjects mainly Tort, Contract and GPL. But if you have the interest, go ahead! No problem. Most people pick subjects because of people telling them that it is lighter and easy. No, the most important is the ambition and interest in that subject. That's my advise concerning your subject undertaking...

This post has been edited by Darkoda: Aug 3 2009, 03:52 PM
+Quote Post
Optiplex330
post Aug 7 2009, 05:08 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(kywong @ Jun 8 2009, 04:33 PM)
Methodist College KL is a good place to study A-Levels. It is based on the London Edexcel A-Levels, which is a modular system. As far as I know, it has a good track record, with some of its students entering University of Cambridge, Australian National University etc. on scholarships.

The college is situated near KL Sentral, and easily accessible via LRT, monorail, buses, etc.

In terms of facilities, they have well equipped labs & classrooms, basketball court, multi-purpose hall and badminton court, and they are building a new extension with even more facilities.

More information: http://www.methodistcollegekl.edu.my
A few years ago I did some checking.....

Taylor started with some "smarter" student, meaning JPA scholarship holder. Final result is 30+% got 4As.

MCKL started with "less smart" students, meaning no JPA scholarship holder. Final result also 30+% got 40As.

In fact, AFAIK, I can't find any other college having a higher percentage of 4As in percentage terms as compared to MCKL in West Malaysia. Not Taylors, Sunway, KUEM, Tunku Jaafar or any others. And mind you, college like KUEM also got "smarter" student like JPA scholars to start off with.

So which is better?

As for which college you obtain your A Level. It does NOT matter. Universities DO NOT look at which college you comes from, they only look at the A Level result. Period. Anyone who says otherwise must either be ignorant (excusable) or an idiot (not excusable).

BTW, MCKL is one of the cheaper college so in monetary term, it probably has the best value for money.
+Quote Post
transhumanist92
post Aug 7 2009, 07:38 AM

Getting Started

how many subject you can take in taylors, is there a limit or you must choose its subject combination package, because i want to take math, further math, biology, physics, chem and thinking skill(compulsory)
+Quote Post
vanPersieXX
post Sep 2 2009, 03:06 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(transhumanist92 @ Aug 7 2009, 07:38 AM)
how many subject you can take in taylors, is there a limit or you must choose its subject combination package, because i want to take math, further math, biology, physics, chem and thinking skill(compulsory)
it is possible to do that...theres a twin sisters did tat n gt straight A's

EDIT:however i think they gt tuition for further maths from outside nt taylors

This post has been edited by vanPersieXX: Sep 2 2009, 03:07 PM
+Quote Post
C-Note
post Sep 2 2009, 05:50 PM

starry starry night

QUOTE(Optiplex330 @ Aug 7 2009, 05:08 AM)
A few years ago I did some checking.....

Taylor started with some "smarter" student, meaning JPA scholarship holder. Final result is 30+% got 4As.

MCKL started with "less smart" students, meaning no JPA scholarship holder. Final result also 30+% got 40As.

In fact, AFAIK, I can't find any other college having a higher percentage of 4As in percentage terms as compared to MCKL in West Malaysia. Not Taylors, Sunway, KUEM, Tunku Jaafar or any others. And mind you, college like KUEM also got "smarter" student like JPA scholars to start off with.

So which is better?

As for which college you obtain your A Level. It does NOT matter. Universities DO NOT look at which college you comes from, they only look at the A Level result. Period. Anyone who says otherwise must either be ignorant (excusable) or an idiot (not excusable).

BTW, MCKL is one of the cheaper college so in monetary term, it probably has the best value for money.
the results are displayed in terms of As or marks? how are the universities going to judge on which straightAs student to recruit?

among HELP,Taylor's,MCKL, which college has the most variety of universities placement? universities i'm interested in are those in UK,Aus,Singapore and Hongkong. MCKL doesnt seem to offer any from Aus for Alvls
+Quote Post
chelsh
post Sep 6 2009, 01:28 AM

Getting Started

i am a student from taylors because i am under scholarship. but if i dun get the scholarship, i will consider Methodist College =)

as far as i know..Taylors college subang has high percentage of As for chem, bio, phy and maths..

as for extra subjects, i think you can only take them if you have good reasons for taking those extra subjects, as it is quite heavy to take too many A level subjects..

Economics for CIE AS level is still easy to cope with, but A2 level econs is much tougher..
As for law..i think memorizing skills is REALLY important for English Legal System..
as for contract and tort, add in understanding smile.gif

another thing i wanna add...for those who want to apply high reputation UK universities, i dont encourage u to take accounting..accounting is regarded as a Soft subject..LSE also regard law as a soft subject. but both these subjects are not easy to handle. i wonder how they make these sort of decisions.

As for those who thinks taylors subang is crowded, i recommend you to go to taylors sri hartamas campus =) modern facilities ..

This post has been edited by chelsh: Sep 6 2009, 01:42 AM
+Quote Post
polaris91
post Sep 6 2009, 02:00 AM

Getting Started

of course it will be taylors...coz their A level result is well maintained...
and my friends there are kinda suffering coz the syllabus is really rush...
+Quote Post
prettychic
post Sep 6 2009, 01:17 PM

Getting Started

Taylor college is better...
It has good reputation, and internationally recognized...
My frens that study there before now all oversea already...
+Quote Post
Grimm
post Sep 6 2009, 09:30 PM

I don't know anymore

Yea man! Taylors! xD
+Quote Post
the_gsanc
post Sep 6 2009, 11:55 PM

Getting Started

Help University College, better study environment, experienced lecturers.

+Quote Post
C-Note
post Sep 7 2009, 09:45 PM

starry starry night

whats the difference between cambridge board and london board? many friends of mine advice me to avoid london board because CERTAIN unis only accept cambridge board students. Can somebody verify that?

This post has been edited by C-Note: Sep 8 2009, 03:08 PM
+Quote Post
aaronwu
post Sep 12 2009, 09:52 PM

Getting Started

Hmm.. i realised that HELP college is rather less- talked bout here, considering that it has the second highest amount of votes.

For me, i'm interested in taking Law. And i'm planning to take A levels in HELP. Is Cambridge A levels really so much superior than GCE A levels? Cuz I always thought that it doesn't reali make that much of a difference.

Anyways if we're taking into account colleges that offer GCE A levels only, is HELP the best? Could anyone elaborate more on the benefits of HELP please? Thanks.
+Quote Post
the_gsanc
post Sep 13 2009, 01:34 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(aaronwu @ Sep 12 2009, 09:52 PM)
Hmm.. i realised that HELP college is rather less- talked bout here, considering that it has the second highest amount of votes.

For me, i'm interested in taking Law. And i'm planning to take A levels in HELP. Is Cambridge A levels really so much superior than GCE A levels? Cuz I always thought that it doesn't reali make that much of a difference.

Anyways if we're taking into account colleges that offer GCE A levels only, is HELP the best? Could anyone elaborate more on the benefits of HELP please? Thanks.
Choosing help is a wiser choice.
I will probably go to HELP college A lvls next year too.
Hope to see you there
+Quote Post
C-Note
post Sep 13 2009, 12:52 PM

starry starry night

QUOTE(the_gsanc @ Sep 13 2009, 01:34 AM)
Choosing help is a wiser choice.
I will probably go to HELP college A lvls next year too.
Hope to see you there
I'm now in kind of a dilemma. MCKL and HELP are the only two colleges i know of that offer London board Alevels. From what i've gathered, MCKL has been producing world class students annually. One of my ex-schoolmate got perfect score in chemistry..ranked top10 in the world for it. I also found out that my friend's brother got 600/600 for physics just 3 months ago shocking.gif Few of my friends ended up in Imperial and Cambridge on scholarship.

As for HELP, its reputable as its one of the 1st few colleges that crosses one's mind when asked 'which college u going ar?', apart from the oh-so-famous Taylors. Fees-wise, I think they are more or less the same since both range from 25000 to 27000 for 3sciences + maths. For MCKL, u get 30% off for 6-7A1s, 50% for 8-9A1s and 100% for 9-10A1s. Can some1 verify the scholarship for HELP?
+Quote Post
the_gsanc
post Sep 13 2009, 03:54 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(C-Note @ Sep 13 2009, 12:52 PM)
I'm now in kind of a dilemma. MCKL and HELP are the only two colleges i know of that offer London board Alevels. From what i've gathered, MCKL has been producing world class students annually. One of my ex-schoolmate got perfect score in chemistry..ranked top10 in the world for it. I also found out that my friend's brother got 600/600 for physics just 3 months ago  shocking.gif Few of my friends ended up in Imperial and Cambridge on scholarship.

As for HELP, its reputable as its one of the 1st few colleges that crosses one's mind when asked 'which college u going ar?', apart from the oh-so-famous Taylors. Fees-wise, I think they are more or less the same since both range from 25000 to 27000 for 3sciences  + maths. For MCKL, u get 30% off for 6-7A1s, 50% for 8-9A1s and 100% for 9-10A1s. Can some1 verify the scholarship for HELP?
HELP has producing top students also. Didnt u see the newspaper ad that show HELP's students who got scholarship and entrance to world class unis ? As for fees, HELP is at the high side, close to 30K for A levels Arts. As I know, HELP offers scholarship to those 7As and above. Anyways, MCKL is not bad also but I think that HELP is more reputable.
+Quote Post
aaronwu
post Sep 13 2009, 04:52 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(C-Note @ Sep 13 2009, 12:52 PM)
I'm now in kind of a dilemma. MCKL and HELP are the only two colleges i know of that offer London board Alevels. From what i've gathered, MCKL has been producing world class students annually. One of my ex-schoolmate got perfect score in chemistry..ranked top10 in the world for it. I also found out that my friend's brother got 600/600 for physics just 3 months ago  shocking.gif Few of my friends ended up in Imperial and Cambridge on scholarship.

As for HELP, its reputable as its one of the 1st few colleges that crosses one's mind when asked 'which college u going ar?', apart from the oh-so-famous Taylors. Fees-wise, I think they are more or less the same since both range from 25000 to 27000 for 3sciences  + maths. For MCKL, u get 30% off for 6-7A1s, 50% for 8-9A1s and 100% for 9-10A1s. Can some1 verify the scholarship for HELP?
Well HELP has been producing excellent students from what i've heard and seen. I recently went to HELP for their SASA Scholarship interview, and i must say, their facilities look rather impressive. But their fees are considerably high though....

Any advise or comments from ex-HELP students bout HELP ?
+Quote Post
C-Note
post Sep 13 2009, 04:55 PM

starry starry night

QUOTE(the_gsanc @ Sep 13 2009, 03:54 PM)
HELP has producing top students also. Didnt u see the newspaper ad that  show HELP's students who got scholarship and entrance to world class unis ? As for fees, HELP is at the high side, close to 30K for A levels Arts. As I know, HELP offers scholarship to those 7As and above. Anyways, MCKL is not bad also but I think that HELP is more reputable.
MCKL is less reputable most probably due to the fact that it is located next to a primary/secondary school and it certainly looks like one itself too.. sweat.gif however a new building is due to open for 2010 students. MCKL is more of a tight-knit community so students can get help easily. Discipline is rather good there from what i heard. Not sure if i want to spend so much on Pre-U for the same course u can get at any other colleges at a much cheaper rate. How many ppl are there in each class in HELP?
+Quote Post
the_gsanc
post Sep 13 2009, 05:50 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(C-Note @ Sep 13 2009, 04:55 PM)
MCKL is less reputable most probably due to the fact that it is located next to a primary/secondary school and it certainly looks like one itself too..  sweat.gif however a new building is due to open for 2010 students. MCKL is more of a tight-knit community so students can get help easily. Discipline is rather good there from what i heard. Not sure if i want to spend so much on Pre-U for the same course u can get at any other colleges at a much cheaper rate. How many ppl are there in each class in HELP?
According to the counsellor from HELP, the class is about 30 students.
+Quote Post
C-Note
post Sep 14 2009, 05:55 AM

starry starry night

I see. Thx for the info. Anyway, isit possible for me to take up 5 subjects and drop 1 if I feel that im not able to cope ?
+Quote Post
toccatina
post Sep 15 2009, 01:21 AM

Getting Started

my advise is be careful when choosing A Levels. think a few times.

I did my A levels in TARC. the main difference between A level and STPM is A levels require you to think more. Know how to apply.

the only major advantage of A level is it is more recognized world wide.

+Quote Post
EduSpiral
post Sep 16 2009, 01:41 AM

Your online education advisor

I agree with Toccatina to think carefully before choosing to study A-Levels. It is a very tough programme and will take up 1.5 years. If you take the London Board A-Levels, it is modular, hence, you may re-sit for that particular subject if you don't do well in it. I have written more about it in my blog on Pre-U and also a comparison chart on the Pre-Us available including the A-Levels. You can go check it out if interested, hope it helps. www.eduspiral.wordpress.com

cheers
+Quote Post
ly7
post Mar 21 2010, 02:55 PM

im an international student currently studying in garden international school all the teachers are international and most have been from the board of examinations tht are now teachers. they provide a levels here the school is located in hartamas and under the same board as taylors but is more expensive perhaps you guys might wanna try there but you're gonna have to take csla and malaysian students need not take the LAN. just my 2 cents but the rules are crap.
+Quote Post
ameerul_marilyn
post Apr 2 2010, 05:56 AM

QUOTE(feynman @ Dec 19 2007, 01:13 AM)
Try to take at least 4 subjects if you can.
i can't with you more. I'm now studying in Liverpool doing my Gcse's this year and we had some student meetings telling us what's best for us next year. they told me to take 4 subjects for the first year and drop one at the end of the first year as it will increase you final points for A levels. but i'm not sure wether you can drop a subject in malaysia like we can over here.

Btw, i heard that you need to do some subjects in Taylors which is compulsory or whatnot, is this true ? hope somebody can help brows.gif hmm.gif
+Quote Post
zstan
post Apr 2 2010, 06:42 AM

10k Club

4 subjects is very crucial in terms when you want to apply for top unis, such as OxBridge, Imperial, NUS etc.. they will tell straight in the face that they want to 4A's..irregardless of how good is your co-coriculum..etc..

if you are contented with life..3 subs should be enough.=)
+Quote Post
defectivelasagna
post Apr 2 2010, 11:14 AM

Casual

hey guys what are the fees for Sunway U A-Levels?
+Quote Post
Hikari0307
post Apr 2 2010, 02:36 PM

平成の光

QUOTE(ameerul_marilyn @ Apr 2 2010, 05:56 AM)
i can't with you more. I'm now studying in Liverpool doing my Gcse's  this year and we had some student meetings telling us what's best for us next year. they told me to take 4 subjects for the first year and drop one at the end of the first year as it will increase you final points for A levels. but i'm not sure wether you can drop a subject in malaysia like we can over here.

Btw, i heard that you need to do some subjects in Taylors which is compulsory or whatnot, is this true ? hope somebody can help  brows.gif  hmm.gif
I don't know about other places but in Taylor's yes you can take 4 subjects first and decide to drop 1 if you think you can't cope with it halfway.
The only compulsory subjects for CAL in Taylor's would be Thinking Skills during AS Level and the MQA Compulsory Subjects if you are a Malaysia (Moral/Islamic Studies and Malaysian Studies and Bahasa Kebangsaan A if a credit in BM was not achieved)
+Quote Post
xiiaomvp
post Apr 20 2010, 11:36 PM

I voted the 100th for taylor's, cheers !!
+Quote Post
fastreader
post Apr 21 2010, 12:22 AM

taylor...i sapork
+Quote Post
monster_crunch
post Apr 21 2010, 01:20 AM

Hello, I am helping a few friends of mine to sell off their A level books. I have a few original and photocopied text books, tutorials and notes. Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, General Paper. Just let me know what subject and books you want and I will help to search for it. Price will always be low. Just wanna clear everything off. Location at TARC, Setapak. PM me for details. Thank you.
+Quote Post
gnixchin
post May 2 2010, 04:20 PM

for taylor's
which campus has the best lecturers for a levels econs, maths, f maths, physics?

and is the combination of subject above good for a degree in actuarial science or economies?
im planning to go LSE, UK after ALevels
+Quote Post
beatlesalbum
post May 2 2010, 05:09 PM

Regular

I am surprised a KDU not making this list as one of the recognizable ones. Its pretty good actually with many good lecturers.
+Quote Post
Hikari0307
post May 2 2010, 09:51 PM

平成の光

QUOTE(gnixchin @ May 2 2010, 04:20 PM)
for taylor's
which campus has the best lecturers for a levels econs, maths, f maths, physics?

and is the combination of subject above good for a degree in actuarial science or economies?
im planning to go LSE, UK after ALevels
Both Subang Jaya and Sri Hartamas campuses has the same quality of lecturers ^^ Though I prefer the environment in Subang and it's cheaper too and more fun there in my opinion XD
On the combi I don't quite know have to ask somebody more pro XD
+Quote Post
danes007
post May 29 2010, 12:16 AM

I'm a spm leaver. I'm currently thinking of doing A-levels because i am rather confused in choosing my tertiary education. I did not take biology in spm, but i am thinking of taking biology in A-levels. But, i'm not very sure. Is it a right choice? Can i cope up with it? Where should i do my A-levels? providing my finance is on average level. means i'm not tat rich. And, i got 9A's. So, if anywhere i can get full scholarship other than tar college? Not sure about tar college. rclxub.gif thanks.
+Quote Post
redarmada
post May 29 2010, 01:13 AM

QUOTE(defectivelasagna @ Apr 2 2010, 11:14 AM)
hey guys what are the fees for Sunway U A-Levels?
Dude u can email them urself. But for ur convenience its around 23k for 3 subjects and 29k for 4. That was for my year though.

Added on May 29, 2010, 1:17 am
QUOTE(danes007 @ May 29 2010, 12:16 AM)
I'm a spm leaver. I'm currently thinking of doing A-levels because i am rather confused in choosing my tertiary education. I did not take biology in spm, but i am thinking of taking biology in A-levels. But, i'm not very sure. Is it a right choice? Can i cope up with it? Where should i do my A-levels? providing my finance is on average level. means i'm not tat rich. And, i got 9A's. So, if anywhere i can get full scholarship other than tar college? Not sure about tar college.  rclxub.gif thanks.
Not recommended. A-Levels Biology is much tougher compared to SPM Bio. Less stuff to remember but it requires much deeper understanding. U're gonna have to work very hard if u don't have prior knowledge. Heck, even without SPM bio knowledge u have to work very hard already.
U can get bursaries based on your SPM results. Check with the respective college websites for the amounts.

Added on May 29, 2010, 1:25 amIMO, this poll is biased. smile.gif
Taylor's is the biggest A-level provider in M'sia. Sooo more students = more lowyat forumers in taylors = more ppl voting here. Heh.

However, I'm gonna give my biased opinion here. Go for Sunway. Around 100 - 150 students (A-levels) per intake so it isn't so cramped, u'll practically know almost everyone in ur intake n u guys will form a closer bond together.
Teaching quality here is top-notch. The lecturers give extra classes on demand without hesitation. They're passionate about their subject too. smile.gif

This post has been edited by redarmada: May 29 2010, 01:25 AM
+Quote Post
danes007
post May 30 2010, 01:05 AM

QUOTE(redarmada @ May 29 2010, 01:13 AM)
Dude u can email them urself. But for ur convenience its around 23k for 3 subjects and 29k for 4. That was for my year though.

Added on May 29, 2010, 1:17 am
Not recommended. A-Levels Biology is much tougher compared to SPM Bio. Less stuff to remember but it requires much deeper understanding. U're gonna have to work very hard if u don't have prior knowledge. Heck, even without SPM bio knowledge u have to work very hard already.
U can get bursaries based on your SPM results. Check with the respective college websites for the amounts.

Added on May 29, 2010, 1:25 amIMO, this poll is biased. smile.gif
Taylor's is the biggest A-level provider in M'sia. Sooo more students = more lowyat forumers in taylors = more ppl voting here. Heh.

However, I'm gonna give my biased opinion here. Go for Sunway. Around 100 - 150 students (A-levels) per intake so it isn't so cramped, u'll practically know almost everyone in ur intake n u guys will form a closer bond together.
Teaching quality here is top-notch. The lecturers give extra classes on demand without hesitation. They're passionate about their subject too. smile.gif
Oh i see... Hmmm.... thought of going for medicine side but then... it's quite impossible. haaaizzzz. Anyway, what u think about HELP or Stamford? How's the lecturer there? how's the fees? I can't get to HELP's homepage no matter how many times i try. Wonder what's wrong. Should give them a call tomorrow. thanks. happy.gif
+Quote Post
DeVGF
post May 31 2010, 03:11 AM

Getting Started

I'm a spm leaver. I'm currently thinking of doing A-levels because i am rather confused in choosing my tertiary education. I did not take biology in spm, but i am thinking of taking biology in A-levels. But, i'm not very sure. Is it a right choice? Can i cope up with it? Where should i do my A-levels? providing my finance is on average level. means i'm not tat rich. And, i got 9A's. So, if anywhere i can get full scholarship other than tar college? Not sure about tar college.  rclxub.gif thanks.
Not everywhere.

Nowadays, Sunway/HELP/Taylors will only give FULL scholarship to people with 10A/A+ and above. If I'm not wrong HELP only give full scholarship to 11A/A+ , even 10A/A+ is partial for HELP

Sad for those who only took 9 subjects.

This post has been edited by DeVGF: Jun 1 2010, 09:15 PM
+Quote Post
gomes.
post May 31 2010, 08:26 AM

Casual

you actually can in my opinion, but u need to work hard from day 1.

Added on May 31, 2010, 8:26 amand revise like SPM bio (just browse through), preferbly

This post has been edited by gomes.: May 31 2010, 08:26 AM
+Quote Post
eve93
post Dec 6 2010, 08:38 PM

Hi, i'm having trouble choosing colleges to pursue for A-level......I have KYUEM, taylor's and sunway in mind but i don't really know which is good....can anyone plese recommend me? another question is, are there alot of malay students studying in KYUEM? i heard my friends telling me that KYUEM accepts only Malay students and KYUEM has majority of malay students? is it true? please.....I need an Answer!! cry.gif
+Quote Post
LightningFist
post Dec 6 2010, 10:07 PM

Killer of Beasts
Group Icon
Education Essentials
Group: Probationary Moderator

The place which is "good" to do A levels is one which you enjoy.

Seriously, in Malaysia, it's not which school is "famous" or "reputable".

You might think a school is great (and you will have a better chance to succeed, in A levels and/or afterward) because of its "rep", but this is never the case.

Go to the school that you can afford, has the environment you would like, and is convenient for you to attend.

If you hear about good teachers, there's no way of knowing how good the teachers you'll be getting are.

Similarly, there are students with extremely bad results in just about every school, no matter how high their claimed passing rates are (remember an E is a pass at A level).

This post has been edited by LightningFist: Dec 6 2010, 10:08 PM
+Quote Post
Hikari0307
post Dec 6 2010, 10:34 PM

平成の光

QUOTE(eve93 @ Dec 6 2010, 08:38 PM)
Hi, i'm having trouble choosing colleges to pursue for A-level......I have KYUEM, taylor's and sunway in mind but i don't really know which is good....can anyone plese recommend me? another question is, are there alot of malay students studying in KYUEM?  i heard my friends telling me that KYUEM accepts only Malay students and KYUEM has majority of malay students? is it true? please.....I need an Answer!! cry.gif
KYUEM doesn't accept only Malay students though majority of students there are JPA,MARA etc. scholars and since majority of those are malays the huge majority there are malays.
+Quote Post
WhyLifeIsUnfair
post Dec 6 2010, 11:59 PM

HEY why dont u try KDU college at Damansara. I was there for my A levels and i can tell u the lecturers are very good.

For 1 we have the infamous Mr George who teaches chemistry xD

seriously colleges like taylors and sunway just wanna reel u in and a fool and his money are soon parted.
+Quote Post
LightningFist
post Dec 7 2010, 01:37 AM

Killer of Beasts
Group Icon
Education Essentials

Are you suggesting people who paid to attend Taylor's or Sunway are foolish?
+Quote Post
WhyLifeIsUnfair
post Dec 7 2010, 02:15 AM

QUOTE(LightningFist @ Dec 7 2010, 01:37 AM)
Are you suggesting people who paid to attend Taylor's or Sunway are foolish?
no im saying that it may look glamorous and all but doesn necessary mean that it is good...
+Quote Post
LightningFist
post Dec 7 2010, 02:20 AM

Killer of Beasts
Group Icon
Education Essentials

Then that is an apt metaphor, to an extent.

I don't think the Subang campus is glamorous. And unless Sunway was recently renovated it is nothing of the sort.
+Quote Post
Balaclava
post Dec 7 2010, 06:53 AM

5-Star Swagger

Obviously, alot of people does not know the capabilities of KTJ. They send their students to top london unis.
+Quote Post
LightningFist
post Dec 7 2010, 12:58 PM

Killer of Beasts
Group Icon
Education Essentials

Well, I can only think of two or three top London unis. All sorts of students from all kinds of schools go there, so "sending" some students there is not much of an achievement on the school's part.
+Quote Post
eve93
post Dec 7 2010, 06:05 PM

QUOTE(Balaclava @ Dec 7 2010, 07:53 AM)
Obviously, alot of people does not know the capabilities of KTJ. They send their students to top london unis.
umm.....excuse me....but.....what is KTJ?

Added on December 7, 2010, 6:07 pm
QUOTE(Hikari0307 @ Dec 6 2010, 11:34 PM)
KYUEM doesn't accept only Malay students though majority of students there are JPA,MARA etc. scholars and since majority of those are malays the huge majority there are malays.
so, majority of the students are malay .....i see.....are you one of kyuem's students? well....i hope you can tell me more about kyuem since i'm actually considering about it....

Added on December 7, 2010, 6:15 pm
QUOTE(WhyLifeIsUnfair @ Dec 7 2010, 12:59 AM)
HEY why dont u try KDU college at Damansara. I was there for my A levels and i can tell u the lecturers are very good.

seriously colleges like taylors and sunway just wanna reel u in and a fool and his money are soon parted.
why you say so? i heard taylor's is not bad.....i dont know about sunway.... rclxub.gif

Added on December 7, 2010, 6:19 pmfor those KYUEM students, may i know how's the life there?? i wonder why there's so many malay students in KYUEM doh.gif .....

This post has been edited by eve93: Dec 7 2010, 06:19 PM
+Quote Post
Balaclava
post Dec 7 2010, 06:55 PM

5-Star Swagger

KTJ : Kolej Tunku Jaafar.
+Quote Post
Taylor's Pre-U
post Dec 9 2010, 12:30 AM

Getting Started

Do you have burning questions about Pre-U programmes or your education pathway after SPM? Get those questions answered! Post your questions here and we will try our best to help. smile.gif

Taylor’s College Pre-U Studies Programmes:
Cambridge A Levels (CAL)
Canadian Pre-University (CPU)
International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP)
South Australian Matriculation (SAM)

+Quote Post
eve93
post Dec 23 2010, 06:03 PM

so guys~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! which is better... KYUEM or Sunway?...post your opinions here.....TQTQTQTQ!!! icon_rolleyes.gif
PS: reply asap pls!!
+Quote Post
hui1189
post Dec 28 2010, 03:05 PM

I get the offer from kyuem...i also thinking of kyuem or taylor...
eve93, did u get ur offer letter already?
+Quote Post
x|aofiish
post Dec 29 2010, 03:23 AM

Getting Started

i'd say A level in TAR college is good smile.gif
+Quote Post
eve93
post Dec 29 2010, 11:38 PM

no hui1189, i didn't get any offer letter from kyuem.......but i thought of applying it.....my forecast result isn't tht good....i only got 5 A's.....guess you got straight A's that's why ther sent you an offer letter........i heard tht kyuem has lots of malay students....i dont really know it's true or not but now i applied for sunway's a level already......how bout u?
+Quote Post
Balaclava
post Dec 30 2010, 01:55 AM

5-Star Swagger

^ What's wrong if there alot of malay students? TARC has alot of chinese students too. They still get killed in snatch thieves incident in Setapak.
+Quote Post
Hikari0307
post Dec 30 2010, 02:25 AM

平成の光

QUOTE(eve93 @ Dec 29 2010, 11:38 PM)
no hui1189, i didn't get any offer letter from kyuem.......but i thought of applying it.....my forecast result isn't tht good....i only got 5 A's.....guess you got straight A's that's why ther sent you an offer letter........i heard tht kyuem has lots of malay students....i dont really know it's true or not but now i applied for sunway's a level already......how bout u?
they have a majority of malay students because a majority of their students are sponsored students and majority of those are malays.
+Quote Post
scatcherer
post Dec 30 2010, 12:24 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(WhyLifeIsUnfair @ Dec 6 2010, 11:59 PM)

is the a lvl science in kdu good? coz i heard alot bad news abt it...wanna hear it frm a kdu student themselves....mind to share ur experience?
+Quote Post
bluears
post Jan 5 2011, 11:14 PM

Getting Started

does UTAR have a level program? cant seem to find info on their site...
+Quote Post
tanjinjack
post Jan 5 2011, 11:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(bluears @ Jan 5 2011, 11:14 PM)
does UTAR have a level program? cant seem to find info on their site...
It's TARC that offers it.
+Quote Post
bluears
post Jan 5 2011, 11:21 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(tanjinjack @ Jan 5 2011, 11:20 PM)
It's TARC that offers it.
ooohh. thanks!! notworthy.gif
+Quote Post
scatcherer
post Jan 6 2011, 12:50 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(bluears @ Jan 5 2011, 11:21 PM)
ooohh. thanks!!  notworthy.gif
alvls can pack quite a high price...even wif full waiver...
btw who's going kdu for alvls science...? im going there=)
im taking 4 subjects...hope it wont b too hectic
+Quote Post
itscarmenc
post Jan 14 2011, 12:04 AM

QUOTE(eve93 @ Dec 7 2010, 06:05 PM)
umm.....excuse me....but.....what is KTJ?

Added on December 7, 2010, 6:07 pm
so, majority of the students are malay .....i see.....are you one of kyuem's students? well....i hope you can tell me more about kyuem since i'm actually considering about it....

Added on December 7, 2010, 6:15 pm

why you say so? i heard  taylor's is not bad.....i dont know about sunway.... rclxub.gif

Added on December 7, 2010, 6:19 pmfor those KYUEM students, may i know how's the life there?? i wonder why there's so many malay students in KYUEM doh.gif .....
Hey im sorry if this is late BUT.. I have like 3 friends in KYUEM and apparently life there is HECTIC!! they said there's no time to full around there and the people there are serious abt their studies and 90% of them are aiming to go to the top/Ivy League unis and they prepare their students to get into those unis. The fees is killer!! i heard it's 60k inclusive of boarding etc. Unless you can afford i suggest applying for a scholarship if u want to get there.

oh and the dress code there is quite strict. u have to wear formal clothes during class time and cant wear shorts at all!!

Bottomline is : KYUEM is the best, hands down. It has the perfect study environment, good co curricular activities and prepares you for uni life.

Unfortunately only the privileged few can go there. The rest of us can only try out best in our CAL and hope to get into the top unis. I hope this was helpful :-)

Added on January 14, 2011, 12:13 amOH, guys, do you know the fees for colleges in KL? i just wanna know smile.gif THANKS!!

Taylors hartamas is 35k total (i think)
KYUEM is 60k

This post has been edited by itscarmenc: Jan 14 2011, 12:14 AM
+Quote Post
Hikari0307
post Jan 14 2011, 12:53 AM

平成の光

QUOTE(itscarmenc @ Jan 14 2011, 12:04 AM)
Taylors hartamas is 35k total (i think)
KYUEM is 60k
Taylor's College Subang Jaya
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q0ZXC6NU
+Quote Post
roticanai92
post Jan 14 2011, 01:49 AM

Baby Audiophiler~

A levels are marked externally!!!

WTH NO TARC?!
+Quote Post
SRLee
post Jan 14 2011, 01:52 AM

Casual

Hey guys,

I'm interested in studying medicine (MBBS).

What subjects should I take in A-Level (Edexcel)?

Does taking more subjects do any good?

Or is it recommended to just take the minimum requirement?

Thanks!
+Quote Post
Hikari0307
post Jan 14 2011, 02:09 AM

平成の光

QUOTE(SRLee @ Jan 14 2011, 01:52 AM)
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Math, Chemistry, Biology and Physics.
+Quote Post
fastreader
post Jan 14 2011, 08:43 AM

i vote for taylor college.

Added on January 14, 2011, 8:43 amreasons?...so fasr the best publicity and also the widest reputable overseas offering.. (not to mention the exclusivity of that school)

This post has been edited by fastreader: Jan 14 2011, 08:43 AM
+Quote Post
pherac
post Jan 14 2011, 10:30 AM

Getting Started

Money wise, I would definitely say TARC. I did my A levels there with a full scholarship from the college. Basically, just had to pay a hundred bucks of miscellaneous fees every sem or year (Can't remember). The lecturers were okay. Facilities might not be as good and cool as Taylor's but they're usable.

The thing is A level is an external exam marked by british. Where you study doesn't matter. In other words reputation and publicity of the college you go to is not important. What's most important is the result you get. That's the only thing people look at when you're applying for universities. After all, A level is just a pre-U academic course that gets you into a university.
+Quote Post
SRLee
post Jan 14 2011, 12:19 PM

Casual

QUOTE(Hikari0307 @ Jan 14 2011, 02:09 AM)
Math, Chemistry, Biology and Physics.
How difficult is this 4 subjects?

Are these P1 and P2?

And thanks for the straight answer!
+Quote Post
LightningFist
post Jan 14 2011, 02:42 PM

Killer of Beasts
Group Icon
Education Essentials

QUOTE(SRLee @ Jan 14 2011, 01:52 AM)
Hey guys,

Thanks!
You better have Chemistry and Biology, both to A level, plus Maths and Physics if you can. The minimum requirements are often not very demanding, and expect fellow candidates to have more than satisfied those.

Taking more subjects does do good (assuming you do well in them) because in the UK and elsewhere many students take more, and places are limited as it is.

Someone who took 5+ subjects among Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English Literature would have a far greater outlook (in terms of university applications for every kind of course except strictly non-scientific humanities/arts/languages subjects like design, French, history, but not including social sciences like politics, government, anthropology, and satisfying course prerequisites of course).

QUOTE(SRLee @ Jan 14 2011, 12:19 PM)
How difficult is this 4 subjects?

Are these P1 and P2?

And thanks for the straight answer!
These four are very difficult, assuming they're done within 1.4 years. However, getting As are not very difficult (you will rarely be asked for more than 1 or 2 A*s at even the most competitive of schools).

What do you mean by P1 and P2?

Sciences have P1 to P5 (AS = 1, 2, 3 and A2 = 4. 5) while Maths has options (2 AS and 2 A2 with conditions from P1 through 7).
+Quote Post
SRLee
post Jan 14 2011, 03:03 PM

Casual

QUOTE(LightningFist @ Jan 14 2011, 02:42 PM)
You better have Chemistry and Biology, both to A level, plus Maths and Physics if you can. The minimum requirements are often not very demanding, and expect fellow candidates to have more than satisfied those.

Taking more subjects does do good (assuming you do well in them) because in the UK and elsewhere many students take more, and places are limited as it is.

Someone who took 5+ subjects among Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English Literature would have a far greater outlook (in terms of university applications for every kind of course except strictly non-scientific humanities/arts/languages subjects like design, French, history, but not including social sciences like politics, government, anthropology, and satisfying course prerequisites of course).
These four are very difficult, assuming they're done within 1.4 years. However, getting As are not very difficult (you will rarely be asked for more than 1 or 2 A*s at even the most competitive of schools).

What do you mean by P1 and P2?

Sciences have P1 to P5 (AS = 1, 2, 3 and A2 = 4. 5) while Maths has options (2 AS and 2 A2 with conditions from P1 through 7).
1.4 years - is that the normal duration for A-Level education (2 sems)?

So if a student managed to score straight A's, then he could apply to the best of the best universities and stand an extremely high chance of getting in?

P1 and P2 = AS and A2. I forgot what they are so yeah. whistling.gif

Since I'm interested in studying medicine, I'll just take these 4 subjects?

When should I apply for June/July (mid-year) Edexcel A-Level?

What schools are good for Edexcel A-Level?

From my own research, I'm aiming UCSI. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
+Quote Post
LightningFist
post Jan 14 2011, 07:44 PM

Killer of Beasts
Group Icon
Education Essentials

You can apply anytime, it is only A level after all.

1.4 years was the time it took my class (and others from the same intake) to do it. Like I said, there're 2 intakes so timing is different.

For the best of the best, and even some below those, 5A*s is never enough for an extremely high chance of getting in. Even assuming your predicted grades are 5A*s (and you actually achieve these after your application), it is ultra competitive, to the point where someone with lower grades (maybe fewer A*s) but a better application and history overall could be better off. Some schools ignore predicted grades (or dismiss them partially), and needless to say AS grades are relatively identical for most applicants so it is not given thought (when deciding amongst qualified candidates). Luck is far more important than one might think.

Yes, medicine would be good with those four. There are alernatives, but almost none are more appropriate.
+Quote Post
SRLee
post Jan 14 2011, 07:51 PM

Casual

QUOTE(LightningFist @ Jan 14 2011, 07:44 PM)
You can apply anytime, it is only A level after all.

1.4 years was the time it took my class (and others from the same intake) to do it. Like I said, there're 2 intakes so timing is different.

For the best of the best, and even some below those, 5A*s is never enough for an extremely high chance of getting in. Even assuming your predicted grades are 5A*s (and you actually achieve these after your application), it is ultra competitive, to the point where someone with lower grades (maybe fewer A*s) but a better application and history overall could be better off. Some schools ignore predicted grades (or dismiss them partially), and needless to say AS grades are relatively identical for most applicants so it is not given thought (when deciding amongst qualified candidates). Luck is far more important than one might think.

Yes, medicine would be good with those four. There are alernatives, but almost none are more appropriate.
I see. What did you mean by better application and overall history?
+Quote Post
LightningFist
post Jan 14 2011, 10:08 PM

Killer of Beasts
Group Icon
Education Essentials

The personal statement is a factor (mind you, I have seen very poor personal statements from students who have gotten through - probably because of results and their international status). It has to be average to above average at least. For some, there's the interview, and one or more entrance tests. There's also academic history (the rest of your secondary results) and personal history (achievements, work experience etc).
+Quote Post
SkyHermit
post Jan 19 2011, 12:13 PM

Liverpool

I have several questions regarding A-levels

1) Is the A-levels exam same in every college?
2) Is it true that every month there is a small test?
+Quote Post
LightningFist
post Jan 19 2011, 01:58 PM

Killer of Beasts
Group Icon
Education Essentials

If it is CIE, the level is meant to be the same, but there are different variants for each paper/exam - so the actual questions asked (and hence level/difficulty/topics) are sometimes different, either quite minimally or rather significantly.

Obviously Edexcel's A levels would be different.
+Quote Post
SihamZhai