Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Engine Oil Reviews/Technical talk v2, Everything Automotive lubricants/fluids

views

TSQuazacolt
post Sep 14 2014, 10:36 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(Mavik @ Sep 14 2014, 10:15 PM)
Just started using Motul 8100 x-cess engine oil for my diesel engine. Very hard to find real quality engine oil for diesel engines especially those suited for performance.

https://www.motul.com/gb/en/products/oils-l...100-x-cess-5w40

So far it makes the diesel engine feel quite smooth as compared to the standard ones which the dealership provides which are normally Castrol 5w-30.
hmm it's diesel certification seems a bit obsolete:
https://www.motul.com/system/product_descri....pdf?1389027113

http://www.api.org/certification-programs/...NGLISH_2013.pdf

however with the rather high TBN, and BMW specification/approvals, i guess you'll still be fine.
but yeah as you said, diesel engine oil that's specific to performance is rather rare and most of them are not properly certified (at least on the diesel portion)

if possible, do consider publishing UOA's tongue.gif
i can consider organizing bulk to save everyone (and my own) shipping cost
TSQuazacolt
post Sep 14 2014, 10:36 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(Mahihi @ Sep 14 2014, 10:30 PM)
ya lo,olein aka OLIN,lol....

eh,help me ask2,i scared kena tipu leh,  sad.gif  sad.gif
will do, will post/tag updates for you/everyone nod.gif
Mavik
post Sep 14 2014, 10:39 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Sep 14 2014, 10:36 PM)
hmm it's diesel certification seems a bit obsolete:
https://www.motul.com/system/product_descri....pdf?1389027113

http://www.api.org/certification-programs/...NGLISH_2013.pdf

however with the rather high TBN, and BMW specification/approvals, i guess you'll still be fine.
but yeah as you said, diesel engine oil that's specific to performance is rather rare and most of them are not properly certified (at least on the diesel portion)

if possible, do consider publishing UOA's tongue.gif
i can consider organizing bulk to save everyone (and my own) shipping cost
What's UOA?

I am actually more interested in the 300v Racing 5w40 from Motul for track days. Dropped Motul a message to see if there are any issues with this oil with my car's current engine.
TSQuazacolt
post Sep 14 2014, 10:49 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(Mavik @ Sep 14 2014, 10:39 PM)
What's UOA?

I am actually more interested in the 300v Racing 5w40 from Motul for track days. Dropped Motul a message to see if there are any issues with this oil with my car's current engine.
used oil analysis, may refer to this bro:
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=69700867

i'm currently running on motul 300v 0w20 at the moment, will be sending mine for another analysis after run 7k km nod.gif
efaceninja
post Sep 15 2014, 01:47 AM

12 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Aug 8 2014, 09:25 AM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

wow you really went-on on an extreme path in your EO thingys. first thing i wanna ask, what's TBN (quick search shows Total Base Number) stands/mean for? see you and the report equates that higher number = oil can use longer..

what's the cost of this analysis? you've to send the oil sample all the way to Fort Wayne, Indiana from malaysia here?? malaysia no such analysis lab ah? like SGS or something.. but anyway, good info from you bro~! notworthy.gif mainly on the oil additives part. you know i poured in ceratec into my 40k km engine last time (after heavily poisoned by you whistling.gif this thread (v1), some other local bloggers, online reads, etc). i didn't felt even a slightest change/improvement! haha, i always told myself well, because my engine still very new, and always change oil on time, so the condition inside the engine still very nice and therefore the ceratec can't improve much things. after that i did once poured in BlueChem Nano Engine Super Protection, after 10k of ceratec. this is the only brand of engine additive that's supported (actually distributed) by my SC. still, didn't felt any improvement. *felt as in butt dyno here. i've ever since slowed down on my affection on oil additives, or to the extend of engine oil choices in general. since i want to keep my service/warranty record sparkling clean, i can only use the brand supported by my SC, which is, Shell. already claimed 1 unit of speed/ABS sensor, FOC, so i value my warranty lols.

anyway, one of my friend who's driving wira SE (7yrs old car?), before that he was using Shell HX-7 10w40 semi. then i ask him to change to LM 15w40 MOS2 Mineral, he did said he felt the power pickup (from example go from traffic light) is better than before, and the FC does improved a bit. hopefully its not placebo.. he has since using that LM after that, as it is cheaper (mineral vs semi) and it feels better than Shell's.

This post has been edited by efaceninja: Sep 15 2014, 01:52 AM
TSQuazacolt
post Sep 15 2014, 02:57 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(efaceninja @ Sep 15 2014, 01:47 AM)
wow you really went-on on an extreme path in your EO thingys.  first thing i wanna ask, what's TBN (quick search shows Total Base Number) stands/mean for? see you and the report equates that higher number = oil can use longer..

what's the cost of this analysis? you've to send the oil sample all the way to Fort Wayne, Indiana from malaysia here?? malaysia no such analysis lab ah? like SGS or something..  but anyway, good info from you bro~! notworthy.gif mainly on the oil additives part.  you know i poured in ceratec into my 40k km engine last time (after heavily poisoned by you whistling.gif this thread (v1), some other local bloggers, online reads, etc).  i didn't felt even a slightest change/improvement! haha, i always told myself well, because my engine still very new, and always change oil on time, so the condition inside the engine still very nice and therefore the ceratec can't improve much things.  after that i did once poured in BlueChem Nano Engine Super Protection, after 10k of ceratec.  this is the only brand of engine additive that's supported (actually distributed) by my SC.  still, didn't felt any improvement.  *felt as in butt dyno here.  i've ever since slowed down on my affection on oil additives, or to the extend of engine oil choices in general.  since i want to keep my service/warranty record sparkling clean, i can only use the brand supported by my SC, which is, Shell.  already claimed 1 unit of speed/ABS sensor, FOC, so i value my warranty lols.

anyway, one of my friend who's driving wira SE (7yrs old car?), before that he was using Shell HX-7 10w40 semi.  then i ask him to change to LM 15w40 MOS2 Mineral, he did said he felt the power pickup (from example go from traffic light) is better than before, and the FC does improved a bit.  hopefully its not placebo.. he has since using that LM after that, as it is cheaper (mineral vs semi) and it feels better than Shell's.
here tongue.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Base_Number

the total cost is around 230+ including that hefty postal fee that's even more expensive than the analysis cost itself.
i'd look for local labs, except they cost between 300-400+ from the quotations i've been given.
until i can find local labs who does this, i guess there's no choice but to send samples all the way to USA.

i don't think I've contacted SGS yet, so yeap i've done exactly that via email just now: http://www.sgs.my/en/Automotive/Vehicles-a...t-Analysis.aspx

as for additives, it is unfortunate that they do not have better methods to test for other elements (eg: ceramic) and the usefulness of it.
as per BSL's Amanda mentioned, it's ok to go with or without additives. they may or may not help, it's ultimately up to individual preferences/engines (types, conditions etc) and so on.
i would never know how my engine is without ws2/ceratec since i immediately used them on the first service (yes a bit stupid i know when it comes to objectively trying out things), i guess i was just way too impatient.

it's going to take a damn long while before i return to amsoil just to see if ws2/ceratec made it smoother, or it's very capable by it's own since OCI's for inspira are 10k km, and i got a pretty decent stockpile of Motul's 300v sweat.gif

btw don't be too easy going on additives that's officially distributed by SC's. proton had X1R and it finally caused serious issues on the CFE engines (and who knows how slow of a death the NA campros are faring all these while, which may have been one of the cause to proton's reputation for "building shit engines")

remember, no matter what elements/material additives used, generally they'd still require a carrier, and to maximize profits, said carriers are typically mineral oil and that's what cause most of the issues on engines as with the case with X1R.
reference:
user posted image

well, using EO from SC aint so bad if you're not an enthusiast.
the only drawback is the obvious higher pricing than market (eg: tesco tongue.gif )
so long you're on the full synthetics that's API SN certified, it's hard to go wrong nod.gif

imho, LM's MOS2 additive isn't a placebo.
however in my pursuit for better lubricants, i soon come to realize that it's actually more economical to run full synthetics at longer oil change intervals.

imagine liqui moly at 5k km ~rm120/bottle
10k km is 240 + 2 oil filters and 2 labor charges.

a full synthetic like amsoil that cost rm180 (or less if you're not going for the high end signature series) can easily push 40k km (25k miles rofl or 24k km/15k miles under severe usage as specified by amsoil), but lets put 10k km for the sake of comparison.

see the comparison now?
arguably, LM MOS2 semi synthetic can be used past 5k km, however in my own experiences, ~5-6k km the performance would begin to degrade while in full synthetics, going way beyond 10k km is never an issue in any of the vehicles in my household.

with all that said though, i still use MOS2 for my kancil, as it had 10k km originally specified even for older API specifications and back then everyone was on mineral oil.
supposedly, the 660cc 3 cylinder wouldn't have much blowby/contaminants so it does make sense for the longer OCI.
izso
post Sep 17 2014, 09:24 AM

48 posts

rich guy tongue.gif
fixgd
post Sep 22 2014, 08:45 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,846 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

yup that made sense too. how about the oil filter? need special ones or the normal one can last more than 10k?
TSQuazacolt
post Sep 22 2014, 09:44 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(fixgd @ Sep 22 2014, 08:45 AM)
yup that made sense too. how about the oil filter? need special ones or the normal one can last more than 10k?
you can always change them halfway; you do not drain your engine oil entirely during oil filter replacement.
fixgd
post Sep 22 2014, 09:47 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,846 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Sep 22 2014, 09:44 AM)
you can always change them halfway; you do not drain your engine oil entirely during oil filter replacement.
ic. still need 2 filters. got it.
TSQuazacolt
post Sep 22 2014, 03:04 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(fixgd @ Sep 22 2014, 09:47 AM)
ic. still need 2 filters. got it.
most car manufacturers still use back the same filter and have 10k km oci, so it's only 2 filters if you're pushing beyond the regular (that most SC uses) 10k km
fixgd
post Sep 22 2014, 11:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,846 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Sep 22 2014, 03:04 PM)
most car manufacturers still use back the same filter and have 10k km oci, so it's only 2 filters if you're pushing beyond the regular (that most SC uses) 10k km
ic. usually fully syn can go beyond that (10k) without any problem?
TSQuazacolt
post Sep 23 2014, 01:20 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(fixgd @ Sep 22 2014, 11:39 PM)
ic. usually fully syn can go beyond that (10k) without any problem?
most reputable API SN certified fully synthetics have no problem going beyond 10k km.
amsoil signature series 0w20 i used was labeled to go between 25-40k km/1 year whichever first.
fixgd
post Sep 23 2014, 06:59 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,846 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Sep 23 2014, 01:20 AM)
most reputable API SN certified fully synthetics have no problem going beyond 10k km.
amsoil signature series 0w20 i used was labeled to go between 25-40k km/1 year whichever first.
yeah heard bout that too. thats not just some marketing gimmick?

izso
post Sep 23 2014, 07:58 AM

48 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Sep 23 2014, 01:20 AM)
Those labels take into consideration of the country and weather. Try that in Malaysian weather and humidity I guarantee your car will have issues in the long run if you constantly use the same oil and OCI.
TSQuazacolt
post Sep 23 2014, 09:36 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(fixgd @ Sep 23 2014, 06:59 AM)
yeah heard bout that too. thats not just some marketing gimmick?
QUOTE(izso @ Sep 23 2014, 07:58 AM)
Those labels take into consideration of the country and weather. Try that in Malaysian weather and humidity I guarantee your car will have issues in the long run if you constantly use the same oil and OCI.
while i have yet to try extreme extended OCI myself (heck, i don't think i can even achieve such high mileage within a year), the UOA report i've included at the first page should be self explanatory.

There are also links/guides/wiki on how to read the UOA report, but if you want a summary here:
my engine oil after 8500km and ~7ish months of usage came out having more detergent/additives than most engine oil being NEW, now how's that for a surprise?
in fact, despite such decently long usage, it has more TBN than torco's SR1 being new according to torco's manufacturer data spec/sheet. (6.6 TBN vs 6.2 TBN)
TSQuazacolt
post Sep 24 2014, 02:09 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

efaceninja
Mahihi

update: been more than 10 days, no reply from maxx oil or SGS, lol.
Mahihi
post Sep 24 2014, 06:16 PM

37 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Sep 24 2014, 02:09 PM)
efaceninja
Mahihi

update: been more than 10 days, no reply from maxx oil or SGS, lol.
haiya,lol....
Thrust
post Sep 25 2014, 07:42 AM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

API SL fully synthetic oil (PAO formulation) vs API SN fully synthetic (highly refined group 3 oil)..

Which is better?
TSQuazacolt
post Sep 25 2014, 07:59 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(Thrust @ Sep 25 2014, 07:42 AM)
API SL fully synthetic oil (PAO formulation) vs API SN fully synthetic (highly refined group 3 oil)..

Which is better?
SN; If the PAO based stock SL is good enough, surely they can be certified for SN as well, if it isn't, then that means it just isn't good enough.

277 Pages « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0180sec    0.37    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:46 PM