Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> [FAQ] Which Distro?, Fedora, Mandrake, Gentoo, SUSE, etc.

views

angch
post Jan 9 2017, 02:04 PM

Casual
410 posts

QUOTE(failed.hashcheck @ Jan 7 2017, 11:37 AM)
Then iptables. They prefer to use iptables-persistent, again, make a new config file just for iptables? Too much free times perhaps. In SUSE we just list our desired rules in /etc/rc.d/boot.local. Clean and simple.
smile.gif Have you heard of our lord and saviour systemd and its prophet Lennart Poettering?

(basically, a *lot* of things have been deprecated and "Best Practice" revised under systemd, which includes almost all the popular distros now. I hate it.)
mohd86
post Jan 31 2017, 05:19 AM

46 posts

QUOTE(RoZZZ @ Mar 3 2016, 09:19 PM)
just installed arch on my pc, oh boyyyyyy probably the hardest installation  shakehead.gif
but i glad i did, it was fun venture into arch  thumbsup.gif
user posted image

laugh.gif
powerwoot
post Jan 31 2017, 08:12 AM

讨厌的 ubuntu
2,680 posts

QUOTE(failed.hashcheck @ Jan 7 2017, 03:43 AM)
Neither.
openSUSE anytime.

No SUSE?
Id rather use centOS than those two.
yesssir thumbup.gif thumbup.gif
mike_ts
post Feb 22 2017, 11:46 PM

6 posts

Have a look at https://distrowatch.com/ smile.gif
sunakujiro^^
post May 2 2017, 08:23 PM

schutzstaffel
652 posts

Where can I get a copy of Linux distro in a CD? I Have an old HP Notebook aged 5 years without any OS and planning to install Linux.
xu7jp
post May 3 2017, 12:44 AM

Getting Started
154 posts

QUOTE(sunakujiro^^ @ May 2 2017, 08:23 PM)
Where can I get a copy of Linux distro in a CD?  I Have an old HP Notebook aged 5 years without any OS and planning to install Linux.
For ubuntu u can download the iso image to burn into a CD.

Source

The above is the minimum install.

For full download Source

U can also make a bootable USB thumb drive installer if your notebook support booting from usb.

mayhammer
post Jun 29 2017, 07:03 PM

Getting Started
95 posts

just to share

i am not a linux guru. linux is something that I wanted to use coz of deluge torrent application. at the time of my linux adventure, deluge was able to punch thru whatever rubbish tm was doing.

long story short, i realized that linux has it own set of problems. i wont say linux is perfect, for me, far from perfect. when i tried ubuntu and its parent/derivatives, I had issues with ppa. sometimes the stable stream has really freaking old package which irritated me a lot.

then i tried fedora/redhat/centos and etc. i end up downloading rpm packages from rpmsource and etc for the stuff i need. As the advise go, always install from original repo, but I am not because the original repo doesnt have the software!

so i covered the. deb and .rpm ones and i find myself thinking linux world sucks.

then i ontinued to tinker around and I found bodhi linux, which for whatever reason, i feel the learning curve is low. so i was with it for a while, until some upgrades killed it. Maybe I screwed up something, but heck, I dont have time to go figure out what went wrong. Despite a few hours effort to revive it, I was still stuck with a dead linux box. Luckily it was a VM. Spun another Bodhi and remounted the disk drives.

off then i went to opensuse, which yast2 and zypper was awesome. but opensuse didn't feel quite right and i had issues with old packages as well. Had issues with conflicting updates and not sure which packages to choose.

i then stumble this term called rolling release. my next hit was manjaro. adopting manjaro didnt require a steep learning curve and i ended up loving this distro. i tried antergos, but i didnt quite like it.

manjaro + manjaro tools + aur is what sold me. i installed it on my secondary laptop and it has been going strong for more than 3 years without any failed updates. sure some minor app broke but that is normal and with a few googling, fixed the issue. no issue with old software either coz it is rolling release. so for my experience level, manjaro is the best linux distro for a newbie n long term.

This post has been edited by mayhammer: Jul 1 2017, 09:53 AM
eq8all
post Jul 24 2019, 09:13 AM

Casual
350 posts

If you're bored, LAZY (I'll elaborate below) and have a spare computer to spelunk some distros on, like I have an old ass Thinkpad T60 to do that then for the heck of it try this one:-

http://www.slackel.gr/forum/about.htm

- Salix OS = Slackware based but this one tracks the -current side (newer packages semi rolling)

- has GUI Live installer that's super easy. As opposed to y'know... the true slacker's way tongue.gif It's not really that hard per se compared to Debian's or Arch's text installer but like I've said if you're lazy...

- nothing fancy or flashy bloated DE. Just Openbox + fbpanel + conky + xcompmgr. Yes these are the fussier bits with text only configs that you gotta deal with.

- very low system overhead/reqs. At idle on my T60 just at sub 300MB RAM.
G-17
post Jul 27 2019, 09:12 PM

Securely Paranoid
1,537 posts

QUOTE(eq8all @ Jul 24 2019, 09:13 AM)
If you're bored, LAZY................. and have a spare computer to spelunk some distros on,
https://bedrocklinux.org/
[/life]

whistling.gif

ukapaka
post Oct 26 2019, 08:40 AM

Getting Started
51 posts

Guys any recommended distros for noobs/non tech users.
fat16
post Nov 11 2019, 06:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,543 posts

QUOTE(ukapaka @ Oct 26 2019, 08:40 AM)
Guys any recommended distros for noobs/non tech users.
newbie friendly. good forums support

linux mint ubuntu. you need try yourself cinnamon, mate and xfce which one like you taste

mx linux. debian based. no need ppa this ppa that like ubuntu one.
ukapaka
post Nov 11 2019, 06:41 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(fat16 @ Nov 11 2019, 06:22 PM)
newbie friendly. good forums support

linux mint ubuntu. you need try yourself cinnamon, mate and xfce which one like you taste

mx linux. debian based. no need ppa this ppa that like ubuntu one.
Will probably give ubuntu a try. Thanks for the tips man, really appreciate it.
fat16
post Nov 11 2019, 11:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,543 posts

QUOTE(ukapaka @ Nov 11 2019, 06:41 PM)
Will probably give ubuntu a try. Thanks for the tips man, really appreciate it.
Ubuntu have many flavours confused.gif . Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubbuntu mate, ubuntu gnome.
https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours

Latest ubuntu release is 19.10
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, due to be released on April 23, 2020.
ukapaka
post Nov 12 2019, 01:00 AM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(fat16 @ Nov 11 2019, 11:50 PM)
Ubuntu have many flavours  :confused: . Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubbuntu mate, ubuntu gnome.
https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours

Latest ubuntu release is 19.10
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, due to be released on April 23, 2020.
Haha. It's ok, will try to read further review to find out. Used to install fedora with gnome or was it kde eons ago. I guess there will always forever be a certain degree of uncertainty. Like choosing a wife from a list of 10 girlfriends.
goldfries
post Nov 13 2019, 09:23 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,158 posts

I recently tried Manjaro, looks good.
JLA
post Feb 8 2020, 09:06 AM

Casual
456 posts

Clear Linux* OS