Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[FAQ] Which Distro?, Fedora, Mandrake, Gentoo, SUSE, etc.

views

mayhammer
post Apr 28 2012, 11:14 AM

Getting Started
123 posts

as a newbie, I find opensuse 12.1 most Windows Friendly..
Quite intuitive and any queries is easily found on the web

I also tried a few other distros, but I find OpenSuse most polished and bug-free...
mayhammer
post Jun 29 2017, 07:03 PM

Getting Started
123 posts

just to share

i am not a linux guru. linux is something that I wanted to use coz of deluge torrent application. at the time of my linux adventure, deluge was able to punch thru whatever rubbish tm was doing.

long story short, i realized that linux has it own set of problems. i wont say linux is perfect, for me, far from perfect. when i tried ubuntu and its parent/derivatives, I had issues with ppa. sometimes the stable stream has really freaking old package which irritated me a lot.

then i tried fedora/redhat/centos and etc. i end up downloading rpm packages from rpmsource and etc for the stuff i need. As the advise go, always install from original repo, but I am not because the original repo doesnt have the software!

so i covered the. deb and .rpm ones and i find myself thinking linux world sucks.

then i ontinued to tinker around and I found bodhi linux, which for whatever reason, i feel the learning curve is low. so i was with it for a while, until some upgrades killed it. Maybe I screwed up something, but heck, I dont have time to go figure out what went wrong. Despite a few hours effort to revive it, I was still stuck with a dead linux box. Luckily it was a VM. Spun another Bodhi and remounted the disk drives.

off then i went to opensuse, which yast2 and zypper was awesome. but opensuse didn't feel quite right and i had issues with old packages as well. Had issues with conflicting updates and not sure which packages to choose.

i then stumble this term called rolling release. my next hit was manjaro. adopting manjaro didnt require a steep learning curve and i ended up loving this distro. i tried antergos, but i didnt quite like it.

manjaro + manjaro tools + aur is what sold me. i installed it on my secondary laptop and it has been going strong for more than 3 years without any failed updates. sure some minor app broke but that is normal and with a few googling, fixed the issue. no issue with old software either coz it is rolling release. so for my experience level, manjaro is the best linux distro for a newbie n long term.

This post has been edited by mayhammer: Jul 1 2017, 09:53 AM
mayhammer
post Apr 27 2020, 11:17 AM

Getting Started
123 posts

after 2 years ++ my conclusion/view is as below

Most distrib has a "root" distrib
eg. Ubuntu's root is Debian
and etc

For me now, I choose a distro based on this
1) is it a rolling/semi rolling release(coz I feel having the latest/close to latest software is FREAKING important). Also check the repos if it has all the softwares you want.
2) pick you desktop experience (XFCE is my fav. Gnome, KDE and etc. test and choose which one gives you the best "feel")
3) pick a package management. Most are debian based, so it's apt. then arch type is typically pamac. Usually they are not much of a big deal
4) pick a distro that fits top 3 selection and is somewhat famous. You dont need it to die halfway
5) there is probably a few distros that fit your criteria. distro hop until happy

I love manjaro, unfortunately, there are times it's just unstable
anydesk had issues for 4 months b4 a fix
Mint repos are too freaking old
so sparky linux(semi rolling, based on debian testing) is for me now

good luck to all the linux people who are going on their distro hop

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0923sec    0.29    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:20 AM