Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Battery brand that has lasted 4 years or more.

views

TSRoman Catholic
post Apr 15 2019, 07:55 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(filage @ Apr 15 2019, 07:13 AM)
If car alternator fails, the battery will serve to power the aircond, spark plugs, radio and all things electrical while engine runs correct?

My alternator icon lit up before indicating no charge from alternator. After I had my alternator changed, the battery died a few days later. The drive during alternator failure must have took up all the battery charge.
You are correct. The battery is the only primary source of power even without cranking the car.

As for the battery that died a few days later after changing to a new alternator, it's plausible. However that raises a few more questions like :

i) Why wasn't the health of the battery verified at that time when the alternator had failed ?

ii) Why didn't the new alternator manage to charge up the dead battery if the car was driven long enough ? Or was it the short drives that finallly killed the dead battery ?
If
iii) Was there a proper Battery Test Report done, after changing the alternator to ensure that the entire system is in perfect working condition ? If the test was done, the impending problem with the battery would have popped up !

No I am not blaming you lol but fact finding as we all are.

The truth of the matter is, to diagnose a problem like this requires the elimination process and with the right tools. Only then we can properly identify the real root cause of the problem.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Apr 15 2019, 09:47 AM
TSRoman Catholic
post Apr 15 2019, 08:10 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(speedy3210 @ Apr 15 2019, 07:44 AM)
Some1 offered battery charger rental here in Automotive section; can't remember if it was in this thread or another. rent the charger (just for testing purpose)and just try to recharge this panasonic battery of yours in recond or agm mode and most probably it can be revived to its former glory.

the problem with most users is, they never bothered to read up on battery tech and just buy whatever shop recommends or marketing hype, i.e silver la calcium la will be da best of da best. fact is these silver-ca or ca-ca batteries require higher voltage alternators to fully charge. something your run-of-da-mill jap or local car alternator never designed for. agm/recond mode charging of newer smart chargers may bridge this mismatch.

would recommend you to take out the battery from your car to charge in agm/recond mode, coz i am not sure whether your electronics can take the 14.7v for a few hours during charging or not.

i revived my bosch sm mega power 38b24 (non-mf), which i suspect is a rebranded panasonic using this method. it is working like new again. now 4.5yrs old.
That only works if all the cells are in perfect working condition. If there's a defective cell or cells among them, then there no guarantee that it will not fail in the short term.

Can't remember the exact reason(s) why other materials are added into the batteries by the manufacturers but I can safely presume it's for performance but there's always a trade off. Similar to that of Specific Gravity, the higher the value, the better performance it will have but that comes with a shorter lifespan.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Apr 15 2019, 08:11 AM
cempedaklife
post Apr 15 2019, 09:43 AM

Master Decoy
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(speedy3210 @ Apr 15 2019, 07:44 AM)
Some1 offered battery charger rental here in Automotive section; can't remember if it was in this thread or another. rent the charger (just for testing purpose)and just try to recharge this panasonic battery of yours in recond or agm mode and most probably it can be revived to its former glory.

the problem with most users is, they never bothered to read up on battery tech and just buy whatever shop recommends or marketing hype, i.e silver la calcium la will be da best of da best. fact is these silver-ca or ca-ca batteries require higher voltage alternators to fully charge. something your run-of-da-mill jap or local car alternator never designed for. agm/recond mode charging of newer smart chargers may bridge this mismatch.

would recommend you to take out the battery from your car to charge in agm/recond mode, coz i am not sure whether your electronics can take the 14.7v for a few hours during charging or not.

i revived my bosch sm mega power 38b24 (non-mf), which i suspect is a rebranded panasonic using this method. it is working like new again. now 4.5yrs old.
but but but..if take out battery, wont i need to set back a lot of stuff? clock, radio, etc.

any idea / some hint where/how to find out the forummer that offered the rental?
edited: found it. thanks.

This post has been edited by cempedaklife: Apr 15 2019, 09:44 AM
TSRoman Catholic
post Apr 15 2019, 09:52 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(cempedaklife @ Apr 15 2019, 09:43 AM)
but but but..if take out battery, wont i need to set back a lot of stuff? clock, radio, etc.

any idea / some hint where/how to find out the forummer that offered the rental?
edited: found it. thanks.
Old vehicles no problems but it's the newer ones that are causing lots of problems even with changing of batteries !!! Silap hari bulan, kereta cannot start even with new battery. Masuk SC kena belanja lebih lagi pasal kena masuk program. Kalau tidak camne nak cari makan !

What you need bro., is battery memory saver wherein an secondary alternative power supply is linked up so that memory is retained while the primary dead battery is being exchanged.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Apr 15 2019, 09:55 AM

19 Pages « < 17 18 19Top

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0332sec    1.76    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th May 2019 - 05:17 PM