Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> ILLEGEAR Onyx Discussion Thread V1, Illegear's first Bazel-less Notebook

jrlogger
post Nov 14 2018, 09:50 AM

Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(Tracer3 @ Nov 14 2018, 07:48 AM)
Can someone who has replaced the keyboard switches to brown please give some feedback on the process. What does the upgrade kit consist of and how did you replace the keys?
The staff will help you change the keyboard

It should be a whole piece of keyboard with brown switches already on it

Tracer3
post Nov 14 2018, 01:39 PM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(jrlogger @ Nov 14 2018, 09:50 AM)
The staff will help you change the keyboard

It should be a whole piece of keyboard with brown switches already on it
The reason why I'm asking is because I have the same laptop from a different reseller. They don't offer the brown keys and don't know anything about it. I'm wondering if it's possible to buy it somewhere and replace myself. Not much information out there about this proceduee.

This post has been edited by Tracer3: Nov 14 2018, 01:41 PM
AZIM@ILLEGEAR
post Nov 14 2018, 01:51 PM

QUOTE(Tracer3 @ Nov 14 2018, 01:39 PM)
The reason why I'm asking is because I have the same laptop from a different reseller. They don't offer the brown keys and don't know anything about it. I'm wondering if it's possible to buy it somewhere and replace myself. Not much information out there about this proceduee.
Hi Tracer30, we have PMed you regarding your enquiry smile.gif
Cirdec_Zenobrac
post Nov 14 2018, 09:02 PM

QUOTE(AZIM@ILLEGEAR @ Nov 14 2018, 01:51 PM)
Hi Tracer30, we have PMed you regarding your enquiry smile.gif
Is it possible to order the brown switches and replace them myself, even if I bought the laptop through another reseller? Thanks in advance.
nyunyu
post Nov 15 2018, 09:44 PM

His Royal Highness
Group: Senior Member

Anyone on Onyx can test the turbo boost? The proc should be able to boost up to 4.1Ghz but no matter how I stress the cpu, I can't see it even reach 4.1Ghz. I ran Aida64 and couldn't see it goes past 2.3Ghz

This is when I ran speedtest earlier.

ZM Fong
post Nov 15 2018, 10:19 PM

Regular

QUOTE(nyunyu @ Nov 15 2018, 09:44 PM)
Anyone on Onyx can test the turbo boost? The proc should be able to boost up to 4.1Ghz but no matter how I stress the cpu, I can't see it even reach 4.1Ghz. I ran Aida64 and couldn't see it goes past 2.3Ghz
Try undervolt and set Speedshift to 1 via Throttlestop. Have you tested the CPU with games?
Eiraku
post Yesterday, 04:47 PM

Geeking since 1985!

Finally found some time to go bug the Illegear folks again and test the new cap and switches. In the end, the allure of the new stealthy Brown switches and smexy Cap 2 was to much for me and I ended up doing the full shebang switch myself.

And yeah, now I can concur with jrlogger that the "over-sensitive keys" issue (aka the "I barely rested a finger on the keys and they registered" problem) have been totally fixed with the new switches, with a better modulated initial resistance though the initial "click" is also gone and the travel stroke is a bit less springy.

It doesn't at all feel like a membrane keyboard to me though, not even a semi-membrane one. Compared with the older Raven semi-mech keyboard, the Browns are still a whole lot less mushy. However, if you liked the overt, typewriter-like clickiness and springy response of the old Blue switches, you might like the Browns a bit less then I did.

Finally, the differently textured surfaces of the WASD and arrow keys on Cap 2 are just genius, allowing you to identify them by feel really really easily vs the old ones. Not to mention the very nice spacing between the keys (further enhanced by the convex shape of the Caps themselves) which make the new Cap 2 a whole lot better suited for touch typing then the older ones IMHO. And yes, they do feel a lot less "loose".
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Here's a shot of my old keyboard on the freshly installed new one.

Attached Image

So TL;DR, was the "sidegrade" worth it? Cap 2 feels like it's worth every cent to me, but the Brown Switches will depend on how you like your key actuation/feedback to feel like.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Today, 01:06 AM

24 Pages « < 22 23 24Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0622sec    3.19    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th November 2018 - 09:20 AM