3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

ILLEGEAR Onyx Discussion Thread V1, Illegear's first Bazel-less Notebook

views

jrlogger
post May 7 2018, 04:24 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

Anyone know how to have white colour as keyboard backlight? Or is it not possible 😅
jrlogger
post May 9 2018, 06:31 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(gunzerdude @ May 9 2018, 02:32 PM)
Yep, I actually have one of those Kingston readers too, sigh, guess I'll have to deal with this for the time being.
My observations so far, a few quirks I feel i should point out, the USB 3.0 ports are only on the right side, so for those working portable storage most of the time would definitely be annoyed. That USB C port on the back..... not sure what sort of audience it's geared for, because having storage/hdds attached at the back where all the heat is blowing out is definitely a bad idea.

Also the keyboard has a weird learning curve to it, specifically, the key's actuation point is actually before the 'click' itself, with just a light press you'd be able to trigger the keys already, and it's causing me to type additional characters sometimes because I rest my fingers on the keys while I'm typing, I'm still able to overcome this by adjusting my typing style.

Finally I'm having intermittent issues where the laptop will slowly lock up, browser refuses to load pages, then the whole windows interface slowly stops responding until the mouse is the only thing you can move around (clicking on any buttons doesn't give a response). At this point CTRL-SHIFT-DEL and CTRL-ALT-DEL combinations all don't work anymore, and I'm pretty much left with waiting until the laptop finally BSODs with a CRITICAL_PROCESS _DIED message or force resetting the system.

Eiraku did you or maybe anyone else encounter such issues on your onyx?
Faced these freezing/BSODs when I was testing out undervolts, you may
Want to decrease your UV if you are undervolting. Otherwise you can try running a memtest?
jrlogger
post May 15 2018, 09:43 AM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(kyLL @ May 15 2018, 01:42 AM)
the hot air mostly gets pushed out the back vents. the WASD keys are exceptionally cool.. er. dont know about the bottom as ive always got it on my desk atm. will test it later.

btw.. ive gotten 4 BSOD's while watching a movie on VLC while on battery power... this is extremely disturbing..
what BSOD error did you get? Sometimes I will have BSODs too, most of the time different errors and it won't restart at the BSOD screen, have to restart self.

I also experienced it even after turning off ThrottleStop, I am starting to think the BSODs are not related to undervolting.
jrlogger
post May 15 2018, 01:13 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ May 15 2018, 12:53 PM)
I'm not getting any even WITH TS and UV. Hmmm.

Not doubting any of you guys' experiences though. Just wondering about combination of things leading to the BSODs.

It might be the Nvidia drivers (and Optimus) though, considering the Onyx is shipped with the older 388 drivers and you need to jump through hoops of fire to update those.
Come to think of it, the BSODs occurred after updating the bios/installing the new NVIDIA drivers. Maybe I can try rolling back to old drivers... Or wait for the new bios.
jrlogger
post May 17 2018, 11:06 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

An English review of the GTX1060 model, which may be of interest to prospective buyers:

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/laptop/11788...-vengeance-pro/
jrlogger
post May 18 2018, 06:33 AM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(Snappy_Darko @ May 17 2018, 11:25 PM)
I wonder if you're just writing an essay or web browsing, can't you just turn the fans off completely?
Fans then aren't noticeable/audible to me. If you are worried about noise, the 'clicky' keyboard would be more bothersome in a noise sensitive environment. (And the sudden rev up of the fans sometimes, but this is supposed to be fixed in a BIOS update)
jrlogger
post May 24 2018, 10:48 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(jianningteoh @ May 24 2018, 10:24 PM)
Hi, please add me to the owner list  icon_idea.gif

1. I haven't installed many games yet, currently I have GTA 5 installed in my Onyx, but the problem is, my Onyx always shut down in just one second when playing halfway, like a sudden total power down, like a bulb been cut off electricity. I've monitored the temperature in command centre and the GPU temp is always around 70 degree celcius which is considered normal right? This is so annoying as after it shuts down suddenly, I restart it then launch GTA 5 and play for some time(charging it of course) then it happens again, repeatedly. play and off, play and off. and my gaming session has not even reached 15 minutes in average. I seek help from Illegear and have updated the BIOS, and for a week the problem was solved, but today it happens again. Today up till now I have restarted Onyx for 3 times, and it would just power down totally in 1 sec after an average GTA5 game time for 15 minutes, I dont know what to do anymore. As the 1st picture attached below, it is normal for the upper bar part above the keyboard to be very hot right? But is it normal for the right palm rest area to be very hot too, that I can't rest my right hand there. Please give me some advice.

Hi, I will also experience sudden shut down, but most of the time it is sudden BSOD and not sudden shut down. But after disabling link state power management in the power settings as noted by another user in this thread, I have not experienced any more sudden shut downs (touchwood). Perhaps you can try that.

Yeah that is the hotspot of the Onyx, you should be worried if it is not hot at the top when you're gaming, it is just doing its job. And I believe the right side is where the SSD and HDD are, so I guess it can be a little warm when on load. However I can still rest my hand on the palm rest, it is just warm and not hot.

QUOTE(jianningteoh @ May 24 2018, 10:24 PM)
2. As the picture 2 attached above, my lower part of the screen have some kind of dark and black coloured "bruises" there, I think it is not screen glowing cause in black background the "bruises" part you see didn't glow white at all, but it happens in every background that has colour other than black, it doesn't just show up in white background as you see in the picture, it is visible anywhere, in game, surfing the web, watching youtube videos, the black coloured dark bruises are there blocking the view, it is visible 50% of the time, I mean 50% chances of showing up, for example, in 2 times starting up of Onyx, one time the bruises will be visible, but once I restart it, when it starts up the second time, it is gone, then I go to sleep, the next morning I start up Onyx, the dark bruises are there again, needs restarting for them to be gone.

So, these are the 2 issues I've been facing, any of the Onyx owners encounter these kind of problems too? Please advise me how to fix it. Or am I so unlucky to receive a faulty unit?  cry.gif  cry.gif Don't get me wrong I love Illegear and that's why I private pre-ordered the Onyx even before official pre-order, but these problems keep bugging me. I don't know what to do. and kind of disappointed too. Not to the state of regretting the purchase though. rclxub.gif

Regarding the bruises, I think your bottom bezel might be too tight, mine also will have those 'bruises' but only noticeable during start up and shut down (the colour screen saying 'Windows is now shutting down etc'.) But am curious on why it only happens 50% of the time in your case, seems like it is a software problem then?

Not really bothered, will rather have a tight bezel (but not too tight), rather than the bezel getting loose and coming out like my previous Illegear laptop...

This post has been edited by jrlogger: May 24 2018, 10:52 PM
jrlogger
post May 24 2018, 10:54 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(jianningteoh @ May 24 2018, 10:52 PM)
Thanks for replying bro, May I know how to disable link state power management?
Power Options -> Change plan settings (of whichever plan you are using) -> PCI Express -> Link State Power Management
jrlogger
post May 24 2018, 11:01 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(jianningteoh @ May 24 2018, 10:58 PM)
Alright got it thanks for your help and time bro, so its "off" for both on battery and plugged in ya?
Yeah that's what I set on mine.

Btw, has anyone noticed the backlight on the 'Enter key' is really dim (or even off) when you are using 'User mode' when setting the RGB keyboard?

It is not a problem if using single backlit, and it is lit like the rest of the keys.
jrlogger
post May 24 2018, 11:38 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(jianningteoh @ May 24 2018, 11:16 PM)
Err... for my Onyx, its kind of evenly bright as you see my enter key symbol, its just that the words, Enter, Backspace and etc are dim....do you mean this?
My enter key symbol is not as bright as the others, but not a big deal.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
jrlogger
post May 25 2018, 11:31 AM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(jianningteoh @ May 25 2018, 10:58 AM)
Okay, cause just now I tried to game GTA5 for around 15 mins then auto shut down again....even after the suggestion of disabing link state power management by jrlogger. Hope can solve the prob asap,or else what for buying a gaming laptop then couldn't game  rclxub.gif  sweat.gif
Maybe have to flash the new BIOS...

Btw, what is the latest BIOS for the ONYX now? AZIM@ILLEGEAR

This post has been edited by jrlogger: May 25 2018, 11:34 AM
jrlogger
post May 25 2018, 12:23 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(Prince J @ May 25 2018, 12:15 PM)
New BIOS and EC are available and ILLEGEAR and factory are testing them.

But we are requesting factory to release bat file for users to execute update under Windows environment.

The EC flash provided by factory needs to go through complicated process like shell etc.

Kindly wait for our update next week.
Thanks for the update. Hopefully it fixes the issues present.
jrlogger
post May 29 2018, 02:35 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

Wondering if anyone using the new Command Center?

Seems the KB lighting and screen lighting are dimmer than the previous version at the same settings, though it may just be my imagination.

Also, my backlit cant display yellow colour in this new version, it only becomes orange. (kinda like mandarin orange colour). Waiting for us to be able to pick mono white backlit or even have the option to use white per key when customizing in user mode.

And yeah the LED bar settings will not stick after reboot.

This post has been edited by jrlogger: May 29 2018, 02:36 PM
jrlogger
post May 29 2018, 02:54 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(Prince J @ May 29 2018, 02:52 PM)
The new command center syncrhonize the keyboard backlit brightness with screen brightness, it increases the battery life significantly.

White KB color is not possible according to the factory and we suggest to use the light blue color as it looks similar to white.
I see, thanks for the notice.
jrlogger
post Jun 1 2018, 06:19 AM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(nyunyu @ Jun 1 2018, 03:46 AM)
Played with the Onyx color profile today, not sure if it just me or the Onyx color profile really makes the screen yellowish? Are those the profile that has been calibrated (as per order)?

Default windows profile are very bright. So, went ahead and use Aero15x profile (from notebookcheck) and it seems acceptable.

Anyone experience the same?
I was told ILLEGEAR's color calibration will make the screen warmer and more yellowish.

jrlogger
post Jun 7 2018, 01:58 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(Prince J @ Jun 7 2018, 11:30 AM)
Yep it can be resolved by using a 180W adapter or updating the BIOS without 180W adapter.
Will performance be affected/capped if we continue using the 150W PSU with the new BIOS?
jrlogger
post Jun 8 2018, 01:05 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

Seeing from this thread it seems others using the same chassis have experienced performance limits when using the 150W PSU with the new BIOS, will our units be affected too?
jrlogger
post Jun 9 2018, 01:53 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Jun 9 2018, 12:27 PM)
Wait, which BIOS update? STEVE@ILLEGEAR actually pulled the updates off this thread (check back a page) for some reason.

Check back with Illegear? Maybe there are issues with the update itself thus it was pulled?
Wow I just updated the BIOS...didn't notice it was withdrawn

Hopefully there's no problems sad.gif
jrlogger
post Jun 24 2018, 04:48 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

My system is unstable after updating to the new Bios too, more often BSOD while playing games or multitasking (downloading Steam games while browsing)

Specs: i7-8750H, GTX1060, 2x8GB RAM, 256 GB NVME SSD

Possible to revert to old bios ?

This post has been edited by jrlogger: Jun 24 2018, 04:49 PM
jrlogger
post Jun 24 2018, 06:06 PM

Getting Started
51 posts

QUOTE(cts0418 @ Jun 24 2018, 05:51 PM)
What are the error code u usually get?
Memory management
Irql not less or equal

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top