5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

ILLEGEAR Onyx Discussion Thread V1, Illegear's first Bazel-less Notebook

views

TSEiraku
post May 7 2018, 12:54 AM, updated 4y ago

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

ILLEGEAR ONYX is Illegear's latest premium gaming laptop with a bezel-less 15.6” INFINIVISION display, geared with 8th gen. i7/i5 processors and GTX1060/1050Ti graphics in an ultra slim frame. ONYX is also equipped with the GENESWITCH mechanical keyboard for a full gaming experience everywhere you go..

user posted image

UPDATES:

1. (06/05/18) Initial Version.
2. (08/05/18) "Upgrades and Updates" section added.
3. (08/05/18) Onyx comparison with S5X/Clevo P950 and Chinese MechRevo Z2 review video link added under "Reviews and News".
4. (08/05/18) New section "Videos on the Onyx" added.
5. (09/05/18) ChatterFix added under edited section "Drivers / BIOS / Other Useful Software".
6. (11/05/18) Added my website's (Technomadica) Full Text Review on the Onyx under "Review and News".

===========================================================================

ILLEGEAR‬ OFFICIAL PRODUCT PAGE
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube

Previous discussion:
*TBA*

Upgrade Options
* New BIOS/EC - ETA 2-3rd week of May
* New CC (White RGB) - ETA "soon"
* 144Hz IPS Display (AUO) - ETA June-July
* Extended 60Wh battery - ETA June-July
* Membrane (quieter) Keyboard - Maybe, ETA unknown

Videos On the Onyx
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Drivers / BIOS / Other Useful Software

Illegear Users After Sales Feedback

Top Secret Keys

Reviews & News

ONYX pictures

This post has been edited by Eiraku: May 11 2018, 05:55 PM
TSEiraku
post May 7 2018, 12:54 AM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

ILLEGEAR ONYX OWNERS LIST:

*Please contact the TS if you want to get your name added here*

1. Eiraku (8750H + 1060)
2. jrlogger (8750H + 1060)
3. nyunyu (8750H + 1060)
4. kyLL (8750H + 1060)
5. gunzerdude (8750H + 1050Ti)
6. jianningteoh (8750H + 1060)
7. liam111 (8750H + 1060)
8. azwn (not sure)

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Jun 5 2018, 02:07 AM
TSEiraku

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

*reserved*
TSEiraku

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

*reserved*
TSEiraku

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

*reserved*
TSEiraku
post May 7 2018, 12:56 AM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

Hey ho folks welcome to the new home of the Illegear Onyx here in LYN. Hopefully we can have a nice, lively discussion on our little pocket rockets here, and let's keep the drama to a minimum.
TSEiraku
post May 7 2018, 02:07 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(cyclone2k1 @ May 7 2018, 01:24 PM)
How does this Onyx compare with the S5X?
* Onyx is slightly thicker, but A LOT more robust despite having a plastic bottom (the S5X is full metal but the lid is rather disturbingly flexible). Other dimensions are smaller on the Onyx's side though.

* Onyx comes with 1060 maximum and Coffee Lake procs. S5X only ships with Kaby Lake BUT offers up to a 1070Max-Q (about 15-20% more performance from the 1060).

* Onyx comes with a mechanical, per-key RGB keyboard (that is very nice to type on, but rather clicky). S5X comes with your typical laptop keyboard (read: not clicky) and only had per-sector RGB lighting.

* Onyx is easier to upgrade/maintain (the S5X needs you to take the keyboard off to access some screws underneath before you can get to the insides. Onyx just needs you to get rid of the bottom screws and you're done).

* Onyx (as per specced now with its 43Wh battery) has worse battery life then the S5X (4 vs 5++ hours). A bigger 60Wh battery is in the works for the Onyx, but you're gonna have to sacrifice your 2.5 drive slot.

* Onyx has minimal screen bezels. The S5X has thick ones.

* S5X has a 120hz TN option. Onyx will have (ETA: June-July) a 144hz IPS option.

* Onyx has 2x M2 NVMe. S5X only has 1 (but both + the 2.5 drive bay).

* Onyx has a USB 2.0 (only) internal card reader (30mb/s R/W max). S5X has a 3.0 one (R\W up to about 100+mb/s).

So yeah, off the top of my head.

Anyway, just spent the entire night modding Fallout 4 (until like 4-5am?) and hasn't stopped playing since. Holy this game is cursed - it's like my 3rd run already and I'm still hooked bad.

The 1060 + 8750H on my Onyx is handling the famously buggy thing with aplomb though.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: May 8 2018, 10:19 PM
TSEiraku
post May 7 2018, 03:11 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(Prince J @ May 7 2018, 02:22 PM)
S5X (Clevo P950HP6/P950HS) actually use plastic chassis with aluminum spray paint (A and C panels). That is why it has more flex compared to the ONYX.
Ah, I think you mentioned that before. Might have slipped my mind. Apologies.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: May 7 2018, 03:43 PM
TSEiraku
post May 8 2018, 10:10 AM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(nyunyu @ May 8 2018, 08:36 AM)
Hey, thanks for the add. Still haven't got my hands on the laptop though. 2 weeks feels like a lifetime.
No problem man. Some folks say waiting is the best part lol.
TSEiraku
post May 8 2018, 07:19 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(foolpray @ May 8 2018, 03:43 PM)
how's the battery life of onyx?
4 hours tops with the current small battery. Probably around 5-6 hours with the upcoming big battery upgrade (which, unfortunately takes your HDD/2.5 inch slot).
TSEiraku
post May 8 2018, 10:07 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(cskean @ May 8 2018, 08:43 PM)
Normal office usage or ???
Normal office use, maybe only a little WIFI surfing.

QUOTE(gunzerdude @ May 8 2018, 09:53 PM)
Just took delivery of the laptop, getting used to the whole thing, but I discovered something which I really hope is a mistake on my side.

The SD card reader, I thought I was mistaken when I saw the driver install read 'USB 2.0', but turns it it really is running at USB 2.0 speed.   rclxub.gif  doh.gif

Can someone please verify that this is actually the case and there's no usb 3.0 version driver for it?
Unfortunately, it ONLY runs at 2.0 speeds AFAIK. Haven't seen any 3.0 drivers either, so yeah, like the Gen 1 and Gen 2 MSI GS63, we have a slow ass internal card reader.

I think I clearly stated that edi on the Overall Impressions I posted on the NBR GK5CN thread, but not sure if I mentioned it here in LYN yet - but yeah it's gonna be put in under "cons" in my review for sure.

Oh and I've updated the S5X vs Onyx thing to reflect this.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: May 8 2018, 10:17 PM
TSEiraku
post May 8 2018, 10:30 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(gunzerdude @ May 8 2018, 10:21 PM)
Christ, I must have missed that overview or something.

Like, come on man, it's 2018, there's simply no excuse for a laptop to include a 2.0 reader, much less a gaming class one with a feature set that's marketed towards content creators as well. sad.gif
Well, I can't answer for Illegear/TongFang, but that was EXACTLY what I told them (Illegear) when I tested the initial protos myself.

But at the same time I also knew not many internal changes could be done already between that point and full scale production (it was too close a time frame). Also, as all the other "alternatives" had glaring flaws of their own (some of which is worse for me in comparison), so I just decided to live with it and got myself one of those tiny Kingston 3.0 readers, relegating the internal reader to serve "emergency" duties only.

Anyway, on another point, XMG has posted Neo 15 disassembly videos already (and beat me to the punch), so I'm gonna add those to the FP, under "Videos" (as our units have zero differences in that aspect as far as I could see).

This post has been edited by Eiraku: May 9 2018, 02:03 PM
TSEiraku
post May 9 2018, 03:08 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(gunzerdude @ May 9 2018, 02:32 PM)
Yep, I actually have one of those Kingston readers too, sigh, guess I'll have to deal with this for the time being.
My observations so far, a few quirks I feel i should point out, the USB 3.0 ports are only on the right side, so for those working portable storage most of the time would definitely be annoyed. That USB C port on the back..... not sure what sort of audience it's geared for, because having storage/hdds attached at the back where all the heat is blowing out is definitely a bad idea.

Also the keyboard has a weird learning curve to it, specifically, the key's actuation point is actually before the 'click' itself, with just a light press you'd be able to trigger the keys already, and it's causing me to type additional characters sometimes because I rest my fingers on the keys while I'm typing, I'm still able to overcome this by adjusting my typing style.

Finally I'm having intermittent issues where the laptop will slowly lock up, browser refuses to load pages, then the whole windows interface slowly stops responding until the mouse is the only thing you can move around (clicking on any buttons doesn't give a response). At this point CTRL-SHIFT-DEL and CTRL-ALT-DEL combinations all don't work anymore, and I'm pretty much left with waiting until the laptop finally BSODs with a CRITICAL_PROCESS _DIED message or force resetting the system.

Eiraku did you or maybe anyone else encounter such issues on your onyx?
For the keyboard actuation, it's probably just the nature of the beast (short throw mech keyboard), but I've installed Chatterfix (I'll put a link to in under "Drivers/BIOS/Other Useful Software" later) to deal with errant keystrokes. TBH though, now that I've gotten used to the KBB, there's considerably less errors in my typing, and most of the errors I do get is from lazily typing one-handed while lying down (and touching other keys accidentally in the process).

As for port placement, while I do have a bone to pick with the left-right choices, having ports at the back is actually a boon for me, at least for the A/V and power. Though like you, I would have preferred the Type-C to be at the side (the left one seems pretty bare TBH), but with your typical length cable IMO you can clear the vents pretty easily.

Finally, the lock-ups is the one I'm rather curious about as I'm getting no such thing at all. Through benchmarks, games, stress tests - zero lock-up or BSODs. It sounds like a memory error though TBH, you might wanna get that checked.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: May 9 2018, 03:09 PM
TSEiraku
post May 9 2018, 06:57 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(jrlogger @ May 9 2018, 06:31 PM)
Faced these freezing/BSODs when I was testing out undervolts, you may
Want to decrease your UV if you are undervolting. Otherwise you can try running a memtest?
Yeah, hence "curious". I'm even UVed and I haven't gone through any of those things. So my first thought (if he hasn't UVed) is understandably the RAM.

gunzerdude Try downloading Memtest86 and running it if possible. You're gonna need a free USB stick to install and boot it from though.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: May 9 2018, 06:59 PM
TSEiraku
post May 9 2018, 11:23 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(Snappy_Darko @ May 9 2018, 07:32 PM)
Hmm, larger battery cancelled?
Bad news for folks looking for an extended runtime for sure, if true.

However, until Illegear announces the same, we're still not sure if this applies to just XMG or to the entire GK5CN release though. We'll need to wait until somebody confirms this.

As for calibration, my screen was calibrated from the factory, or you can use the ICC files provided from NBC's Aero 15/15x v7 review for a rough calibration because the panel is the same exact one.

Hence, the sRGB figures should also be around the same: around 90% sRGB and 59% aRGB (source: https://goo.gl/K5MAUA).

gunzerdude I've heard of Optimus driver problems causing stutters before, but never crashes. Hence why I didn't suggest you look at the drivers.

And I went through the same initial configuration steps as you, though the difference here is I didn't use Chrome (I'm more a Waterfox kind of guy). So, might be a long shot but it might be... Chrome?

Well, as for the drivers you're gonna need to wait for the new BIOS to be able to upgrade the Nvidia drivers anyway, the current one has the Nvidia driver IDs a bit messed up so you're gonna have to INF edit to install any newer drivers in the meanwhile.

Oh, and yeah my power metal strip gets hot too, though my IR thermometer tells me it's actually only reaching 50c, as per my previous measurements.

If 50c feels like that, I wonder how the 60-70c that some other laptops get to feels like.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: May 9 2018, 11:31 PM
TSEiraku
post May 10 2018, 04:11 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(gunzerdude @ May 10 2018, 09:00 AM)
Morning to a new age!  brows.gif

Obvious celebration aside, did 4 passes of memtest without issues, the laptop doesnt seem to have trouble under load, rather just with normal usage situations.

Although, as I'm testing, I've turned off PCIE link state power management for the power profiles and I haven't experienced any crashes in one whole night of using the laptop actively. (Fingers crossed)
I seriously hope the battery capacity cancellation is just on XMG's side tho, would be a waste to just leave that 2.5 gap underutilized.
I still can't believe it but yeah, new age indeed!

Hmm, at least it's NOT the memory, and we can cross that out. Next on, drivers, as you said, or Chrome.

And yeah, it feels a bit of a waste, even though I have a 2TB SSHD in there so the extended cell isn't entirely a priority for me ATM. Still, hopefully Illegear pulls through even if it needs to be delayed or something.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: May 10 2018, 05:31 PM
TSEiraku
post May 11 2018, 12:13 AM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(Prince J @ May 10 2018, 07:22 PM)
Hi guys, large battery option will still be available but only for certain ONYX configurations.

I will confirm the details after the election holidays, currently stuck at my hometown with limited internet access.
Thanks for the confirmation Prince J, it's very much appreciated!

And do enjoy your election holidays. After the rush that surrounded the April launches, you guys deserve the rest.
TSEiraku
post May 11 2018, 04:02 AM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(Snappy_Darko @ May 11 2018, 03:06 AM)
Unfortunately no lol. I'm not confident enough to appear personally on stage like that.

If I ever have a video out, it'll just be my voice and my gloved hands lol, but FO4 (and work) is stalling that a bit lol. My proper long ass text review is practically finished though, and I just need to insert some pics into it.

Nice to finally have somebody talking about the Onyx though, even if his CB scores are pretty low as I'm getting consistent 1000++CB scores. But I'll just chalk that up to configuration differences.

gunzerdude No no, no bias against Chrome at all TBH. It's just that I don't use it and I'm not having any issues. So yeah.

And as for the 144hz screen, while GAMUT is gonna be (about) the same, colours should render better on the new screen as it's a proper IPS panel. The Onyx screen is actually a VA - which isn't bad either but isn't IPS.

For me, I'm not particularly colour sensitive, don't need the extra hertz and I don't really find my 60hz panel to be too bad (VA or otherwise)... so I'm not gonna participate in the panel lottery yet again just for modest colour (and refresh rate) improvements.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: May 11 2018, 05:12 AM
TSEiraku
post May 11 2018, 04:55 AM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(Snappy_Darko @ May 11 2018, 04:26 AM)
But you do plan on making a vid review, right? I imagine yours to be scripted much better than that one! And while i'm on the subject (and pardon my ignorance), but is this not a Malaysian site -  how come everyone speaks English like you're all native Englanders (better actually)!! I can only guess that the education system there is amazing :-)
Nah, the Edu system is pretty normal. it's just that a lot of the folks who visit this here parts (Lowyat.Net) are usually able to speak okay English... most of the time anyway.

In general though, being former subjects of the Crown, we (Malaysians) are pretty decent when it come to English... but outside the urban areas, it's not as rosy - but there will be people who can cobble up basic conversation nonetheless.

English is, after all, our second official language (as funny as that may sound lol).

As for my vid review, expect it to take a while as I figure out how to actually record it lol (keep in mind that the previous Keyboard Sound Test thing was my first tech-related video recording EVER lol).

But the text one should be ready as soon as I find extra time in between saving the Commonwealth from the horrors of the Institute (FO4 reference lol).

This post has been edited by Eiraku: May 11 2018, 05:43 PM
TSEiraku
post May 11 2018, 05:10 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

Alright, stole some time from FO4 to finish the Full Text Review, so yeah it's up: https://goo.gl/u71dSt

This post has been edited by Eiraku: May 11 2018, 05:44 PM

5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0390sec    0.40    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:45 PM