134 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom
Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Buying/Importing Goods from Overseas, Custom Tax & Duties

SeeD
post Apr 1 2007, 12:24 PM

I Love Bubbles
6,728 posts

If my items are held up by the customs, how can i retrieve it from them?
yrh0413
post Apr 1 2007, 07:31 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,212 posts

i bought an amplifier and it will should arrive by next week. Most probably it will be held by the customs. May i know is there any public transport to the customs?
bbjslee
post Apr 2 2007, 12:34 AM

Benkyo benkyo benkyo
2,247 posts

QUOTE(SeeD @ Apr 1 2007, 12:24 PM)
If my items are held up by the customs, how can i retrieve it from them?
QUOTE(yrh0413 @ Apr 1 2007, 07:31 PM)
i bought an amplifier and it will should arrive by next week. Most probably it will be held by the customs. May i know is there any public transport to the customs?
To the above 2 questions. Which custom?
If you're using courier or mailing service, call them up.

yrh0413
post Apr 2 2007, 12:46 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,212 posts

the vendor sent via DHL, and i'm expecting the customs to detain it as it cost over RM1k. So where should i go to? I thought all detained parcels goes to the Kastam near KLIA there? If so how can i reach there via public transport?
Aileron
post Apr 2 2007, 01:57 AM

Getting Started
244 posts

how about wristwatches from overseas?

actually how they found out the CIF value or the original value of the thing to tax?
bbjslee
post Apr 2 2007, 02:35 AM

Benkyo benkyo benkyo
2,247 posts

QUOTE(yrh0413 @ Apr 2 2007, 12:46 AM)
the vendor sent via DHL, and i'm expecting the customs to detain it as it cost over RM1k. So where should i go to? I thought all detained parcels goes to the Kastam near KLIA there? If so how can i reach there via public transport?
Cargo village. Public transport... taxi lor.

QUOTE(Aileron @ Apr 2 2007, 01:57 AM)
how about wristwatches from overseas?

actually how they found out the CIF value or the original value of the thing to tax?
Wristwatches are non dutiable and no sales tax.
Malaysia's custom are in certain way quite stupid in doing things. But they are very smart or too smart to get the money out from importers. They have a list of things their average market price in Malaysia and overseas. Yes, they do their homeworks. So let say if you're importing Ray-ban spectacle frame made in China as RM10 per piece, they'll know. Coz, market price is over hundreds!! The base line is for importers to declare a reasonable minimum value for the goods they're importing.

lov3too4ll
post Apr 2 2007, 11:41 AM

43 posts

i want to share my experience too..i buy guitar performance from play-asia..
at first they the tax should be 30% under games if i not mistaken..but..after few chat with them..they change the guitar under real guitar tax..i just need to pay 10%tax..for handphone...buy the expensive one only...coz u need to get the SIRIM approval...for one h/p they will cost u rm250 n rm50 for form..total rm300..tax just 10%..

Aileron
post Apr 2 2007, 06:29 PM

Getting Started
244 posts

QUOTE(bbjslee @ Apr 2 2007, 02:35 AM)
Wristwatches are non dutiable and no sales tax.
Malaysia's custom are in certain way quite stupid in doing things. But they are very smart or too smart to get the money out from importers. They have a list of things their average market price in Malaysia and overseas. Yes, they do their homeworks. So let say if you're importing Ray-ban spectacle frame made in China as RM10 per piece, they'll know. Coz, market price is over hundreds!! The base line is for importers to declare a reasonable minimum value for the goods they're importing.

thank you for your info bro!
now i know how they get the CIF value..lol

yrh0413
post Apr 2 2007, 08:55 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,212 posts

QUOTE(bbjslee @ Apr 2 2007, 02:35 AM)
No public buses? huh.gif
bbjslee
post Apr 3 2007, 05:12 PM

Benkyo benkyo benkyo
2,247 posts

QUOTE(yrh0413 @ Apr 2 2007, 08:55 PM)
No public buses? huh.gif
Hi,

just checked with my colleague in cargo village, you can now take the Bus to LCCT from Sentral for RM9. The bus will pass by cargo village and you can ask the bus driver to make a stop somewhere around there.

And if you have the cargo village pass (which means you work in there), you can enjoy the rate of RM4 ONLY. rclxms.gif
yrh0413
post Apr 3 2007, 05:38 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,212 posts

thumbup.gif thanks for the details! Really appreciate it.

By the way may i ask: if my DHL parcel really stuck at the kastams, should i go settle myself or ask DHL to settle for me? How do DHL charge? I'm currently in Malacca and the bus fare (express) is RM18 to and fro.
hackwire
post Apr 4 2007, 03:51 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,256 posts

My parcel just got clearance for DVD without tax . Cost less than RM 500.

If my next order is RM 5000 , i wonder what the tax will be? Will it be 10% as claimed or more this time?

If it got stuck is there a way to kow tim ?

bbjslee
post Apr 4 2007, 05:19 PM

Benkyo benkyo benkyo
2,247 posts

QUOTE(yrh0413 @ Apr 3 2007, 05:38 PM)
thumbup.gif thanks for the details! Really appreciate it.

By the way may i ask: if my DHL parcel really stuck at the kastams, should i go settle myself or ask DHL to settle for me? How do DHL charge? I'm currently in Malacca and the bus fare (express) is RM18 to and fro.
Not sure bout DHL shipments. Probably other forumers here who have experience with them can share their experience.

QUOTE(hackwire @ Apr 4 2007, 03:51 PM)
My  parcel just got clearance for DVD without tax . Cost less than RM 500.

If my next order is RM 5000 , i wonder what the tax will be? Will it be 10% as claimed or more this time?

If it got stuck is there a way to kow tim ?
1. Depends on you lucky or not
2. If custom officer suspect you're going to sell the DVDs here, not for personal use, they'll definitely tax u.
3. How to kow time ah.... chit chat with the officer... try and explain... then give hints hints... like that lor. hahaha rolleyes.gif Talk soft soft and respect them, they "eat soft don't eat hard".
@m4t
post Apr 4 2007, 10:19 PM

Getting Started
165 posts

QUOTE(bbjslee @ Apr 1 2007, 12:19 PM)
Yes they are.

I have a customer who imports about 100 T-shirt FOC for their PC fair promotion. I still had to declare them as RM2 each and pay the duty.

Reason:
1. There is no 100% guarantee on my site (as an agent) that the 100pcs of T-shirt will not be sold instead of given free to consumer.
2. RM2 is a more reasonable minimum value for a T-shirt. RM1 is way too low.
3. Our custom system do not allow us to enter 0 value for items to be imported which means we still had to declare a minimum value for goods which are FOC.
offtopic a bit, how's usually they ship tshirts lets say, from Bangkok to Malaysia ? total cost, taxes, etc ?

bbjslee
post Apr 5 2007, 10:32 AM

Benkyo benkyo benkyo
2,247 posts

QUOTE(@m4t @ Apr 4 2007, 10:19 PM)
offtopic a bit, how's usually they ship tshirts lets say, from Bangkok to Malaysia ? total cost, taxes, etc ?
Depends on your quantity, 1 ctn or 2, probably better by courier.
slightly more... appoint an agent use truck. Definitely cheaper than by sea / air.

Since you're asking for shipments from Thailand, so your's is under AHTN tariff code.
Which is under the heading 6109.
Normal rate is 20% + 10%. But if you manage to get the form D or Certificate of Origin, you can enjoy CEPT rates, which is 0% + 10%.
@m4t
post Apr 9 2007, 02:36 PM

Getting Started
165 posts

How about if i hand carry about two bags full of t shirts. Do i have any problems to pass airport or others..
bbjslee
post Apr 9 2007, 03:20 PM

Benkyo benkyo benkyo
2,247 posts

QUOTE(@m4t @ Apr 9 2007, 02:36 PM)
How about if i hand carry about two bags full of t shirts. Do i have any problems to pass airport or others..
Depends on luck lor. But if caught, u can be charged under "smuggling" shakehead.gif
Then u have to think of way to get yourself out of the trouble lor.

Another way is... take out all the t shirts frm their plastics... cut their price tags... make them look as if you had worn them. "Used" personal effects/household items are not duitable rclxms.gif
@m4t
post Apr 9 2007, 05:15 PM

Getting Started
165 posts

hermm...really can be caught ?, so how's the safe way to avoid get caught ? declare the items ?

if take out all plastic, still the same what, the design is similar. they still can ask a lot rite..
jenny03
post Apr 9 2007, 09:37 PM

Getting Started
169 posts

I want to buy shoe from online website,wht is the taxs I hv to paY?
If my items are held up by the customs, how can i retrieve it from them? I'm from kedah, where to retrieve my item?
bbjslee
post Apr 10 2007, 10:51 AM

Benkyo benkyo benkyo
2,247 posts

QUOTE(@m4t @ Apr 9 2007, 05:15 PM)
hermm...really can be caught ?, so how's the safe way to avoid get caught ? declare the items ?

if take out all plastic, still the same what, the design is similar. they still can ask a lot rite..
For all your questions, the answer is: CORRECT, YOU'RE RIGHT!! rclxms.gif
So if you're trying to do legitimate business, do the correct way lor.
Or you can ask those agents in Northern Malaysia to lend you a hand. Sometimes they got lots of "lubang" cool2.gif

QUOTE(jenny03 @ Apr 9 2007, 09:37 PM)
I want to buy shoe from online website,wht is the taxs I hv to paY?
If my items are held up by the customs, how can i retrieve it from them? I'm from kedah, where to retrieve my item?
Which online website? I assume is from outside Malaysia. I think buying a pair or 2 won't have duty. You can check with other forumers, such as the one who bought DVDs. It'll only be dutiable if the value is exceeding certain limits.

134 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0394sec    0.43    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:06 AM