Many of us has purchase things online, many from Amazon, eBay, playasia, yesasia and etc...
As a regular online buyer, you should know sometimes your goods will be held by the custom, and require you to pay tax in order for them to release the items.
If such case happened, do you know how much you'll need to pay? or do you need to pay at all?
So guys, here's a useful site that you can refer to in case your items are withheld by the custom. You should find out in advance first how much you need to pay, and avoid being slaughtered by the corrupt custom officers.
So here's the link:
How to search:
Go under the first field on top menu "Customs"
Then select "Customs Duties Order 1996" or "AHTN Duties Order 2004"
Select "Schedule 1" from the submenu
Do a search on right hand column
Bear in mind that not all of the search will end up with a positive result
Here's some of the things I found out from there:
- cameras of all kind like non-digital/digital cameras/video camera are totally tax free (heading 8525), same with camera accessories like lenses or flash (heading 9001)
- Video games console are taxable with 10% import tax (heading 9504)
- Video projectors are tax free (heading 8528)
- Blank CD/DVD are tax free (heading 8523)
- Figurines are taxable with 5% import tax (heading 9502 and 9503)
btw, I still can't find what's the actual tax for movie/games disc.
Appreciate if anyone can find the info and put it here.
This post has been edited by greyshadow: Mar 28 2007, 04:41 PM
Buying/Importing Goods from Overseas, Custom Tax & Duties