Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Folding Bicycles v5 - Not only Folding Bikes, Folding bicycle discussion

views

desastar
post Jun 29 2017, 07:09 AM

42 posts

QUOTE(KenC @ Jun 28 2017, 07:15 PM)
If you want light, buy a road bike.
Light bike are old school nowadays… heavy bike is to die for going downhill.
Mine is 16kg with my water bottle and tool bag. And I won't spend any extra to shave 5kg off the bike, damn, my love handles weights more!
#ps, I never want ride a bike without mudguard… so dirty…
I still prefer a light bike over your heavy love handles......eekk! LOL
alexloon
post Jun 29 2017, 09:43 AM

Getting Started
100 posts

QUOTE(desastar @ Jun 29 2017, 07:07 AM)
LOL!

Still stopped ok right?
It stop... but if emergency, sure masuk longkang.
Now it stop immediately after rearrange, easy peasy.

fatani
post Jun 29 2017, 10:26 AM

Getting Started
261 posts

QUOTE(alexloon @ Jun 28 2017, 11:49 PM)
Anyone have this setup before, i wonder is this handle bar call in the market.

user posted image
Try Billy bike shop

Edit**
Sorry, i misread it. I thought you were asking where to find it.

This post has been edited by fatani: Jun 29 2017, 10:28 AM
gck
post Jun 29 2017, 10:54 AM

36 posts

yes, don't blame this bike shop..ppl high high end...
try ride backward pls..

QUOTE(KenC @ Jun 28 2017, 07:53 PM)
It's your fault, you had been riding you bike backward all this while…
alexloon
post Jun 29 2017, 12:02 PM

Getting Started
100 posts

QUOTE(fatani @ Jun 29 2017, 10:26 AM)
Try Billy bike shop

Edit**
Sorry, i misread it. I thought you were asking where to find it.
Me also re-ask question which mr.etigge already mentioned before ... lol.

Lots of stuff need to learn about foldie, lately done some hands on on both bike. Just notice headset are not tight on my wife foldie....

***Btw, is foldie using common headset like other "normal size" bike? Just wonder in case needed to change it.

This post has been edited by alexloon: Jun 29 2017, 12:04 PM
KenC
post Jun 30 2017, 01:18 AM

Getting Started
78 posts

QUOTE(alexloon @ Jun 29 2017, 12:02 PM)

Lots of stuff need to learn about foldie, lately done some hands on on both bike. Just notice headset are not tight on my wife foldie....

***Btw, is foldie using common headset like other "normal size" bike? Just wonder in case needed to change it.
Not that much different,
All bearings parts are common bike bearings.
Head post size, both 25.4mm and 32mm are common size outside Malaysia. It's local bike shop insisted to only keep 32mm parts. Rear hubs are common, as for front huh, Dahon itchy backside have 74mm probably the can't figure out how to fold without that. As for rim and tires, it will be less confusing if you reference it to ISO. All bike manufacturer/branding itch backside and dishonest one, they go extra mile to make sure everything doesn't compatible so that they can slaughter you when you go to them. But thank to China and other chap ayam producer globally, we can avoid kena slaughter.

This post has been edited by KenC: Jun 30 2017, 09:14 AM
etigge
post Jun 30 2017, 11:57 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(alexloon @ Jun 29 2017, 12:02 PM)

The more singular mode bike companies like Dahons, Terns and a few more which makes only folding bikes uses their propriety components. But nowadays, since they are not patented, many others do mix and match. The brands mentioned uses a 44mm integrated headset. This is not usable in all bikes. Original Dahons uses non sealed bearings but there are other makers which makes them notably Lite Pro. Other folding bike companies which usually just orders frames and shod in their own choice of components like Trinx, Java etc. will try to save cost to keep their selling price low, so they use headsets available in the market. Most notable those of the older mountain bike setups like the 1 1/8 inch types. These are also still used by many road bikes though. If you look closely, a lot of research have been made on these 44mm headsets.

Most notably is their hardiness when installed correctly. They don't get loose fast unlike those normal ones, once in a while you will feel the front toggling. That's because the connection between the fork and the handle bar post is loose. A slight turn will actually make you feel the toggling. Dahons especially are good because of the large hex nut they use to screw directly onto the treads in the internals of the fork steerer tube. Even Tern can't use this system as they are patented. Terns on the other hand uses the star nut but still they use the 44mm headset for better hold. Giant don't use these 44mm headset and I can see the difference. After a few bumps, I have to readjust the fold on the handle bar post and I got fed up, after adjusting , I dab a little Selley's super glue onto it! whistling.gif

The reason why Dahons and Tern uses 74mm front hubs is because of the lack of spokes they choose to use. They use only 20 spokes for the normal front wheels. When the hubs are narrower, the spokes tend to stay more upright and this increase the rigidity of the spokes and the 100mm ones uses the normal 28 spokes and the more common 32 spokes. Ever notice how 'leceh' it is when it uses the 32 or 28 spokes when you try to pump air? Also many uses 100mm because they want to incorporate the disc brake system onto their bikes to entice buyers. The again nowadays, it is easy to change, forks of all kinds are easily available compared to a few years ago.

Every evolvement is an improvement. The manufacturers knows cyclist are not idiots too. Would you want to change something that's not an improvement. Do you know that we can actually dis-assemble most of the components on the whole bike with just the portable tool we have in our saddle bag. That's the research that's been put into the biking technology. Wonder why every nut is either 5mm or 4mm ? It is a matter of whether the particular cyclists wants it or not. rclxs0.gif

user posted image

This post has been edited by etigge: Jun 30 2017, 12:28 PM
KenC
post Jun 30 2017, 01:50 PM

Getting Started
78 posts

To me, using seal cartridge bearing on a bike is a downgrade in functionality but upgrade in price.
etigge
post Jun 30 2017, 03:13 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

tongue.gif

This post has been edited by etigge: Jun 30 2017, 03:21 PM
gataddhin
post Jul 3 2017, 09:28 PM

10 posts

user posted image

Anyone getting a Dahon Curl i8? More compact than Brompton. 35,900 Baht (RM4,500) from Thailand
etigge
post Jul 4 2017, 09:21 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(gataddhin @ Jul 3 2017, 09:28 PM)
user posted image

Anyone getting a Dahon Curl i8? More compact than Brompton. 35,900 Baht (RM4,500) from Thailand
After conversion , it's about 4.5K Ringgit and it is selling in Singapore for SGD2K PLUS. Kimbell Jaya is promoting it at MYR7K plus but I think can get for 6K plus. This first batch is limited edition (bull crap lah biggrin.gif ). Initially Dahon wanted to launch the bike using Kickstarter and that's ridiculous! I mean an established company wants to use kickstarter funds. Now they come out with limited edition launching model. Maybe after the first batch, price might come lower. The hub gears is , my guess the Nexus and not the Alfine and if it is Alfine, then the rear triangle can fit in the 11 speed unit.

For that price, they give Prowheel cranks rclxub.gif But I think this will be a better ride than the Brompton due to the weight and more modern components, especially the weight. The rear triangle is also more strong as they patented a triangular clamp which is a perfect fit when clasped. The Brompton's ones are still wiggly and same as the MIT's.

But let's face it fairly..............If you buy a Brompton and then decides to sell, you can still let it go for 5K plus but this one, if you buy locally (about the same price as a B), how much do you think you can get? whistling.gif

PS/Come to think of it..............The best ride is still FnHon's 16 inch frame. Shod it with Lite Pro wheels, Tiagra 2x10 speed (Sell off the cranks and get Lite Pro 55/39T and also the brifters ) , Shimano SL-r780 shifters, Schwalbe tires, LitePro seatpost, clamps, quick release, Brooks saddle, the price comes to about 4K , give and take 300 bucks. Folds as small too, both can fit into IKEA Dimpa bag. Also it is sub 10 kgs. Tapi 'TAKDE GAYA' lah. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by etigge: Jul 4 2017, 09:28 AM
small_fish18
post Jul 4 2017, 10:35 AM

27 posts

QUOTE(etigge @ Jul 4 2017, 09:21 AM)
After conversion , it's about 4.5K Ringgit and it is selling in Singapore for SGD2K PLUS. Kimbell Jaya is promoting it at MYR7K plus but I think can get for 6K plus. This first batch is limited edition (bull crap lah  biggrin.gif ). Initially Dahon wanted to launch the bike using Kickstarter and that's ridiculous! I mean an established company wants to use kickstarter funds. Now they come out with limited edition launching model. Maybe after the first batch, price might come lower. The hub gears is , my guess the Nexus and not the Alfine and if it is Alfine, then the rear triangle can fit in the 11 speed unit.

For that price, they give Prowheel cranks  rclxub.gif  But I think this will be a better ride than the Brompton due to the weight and more modern components, especially the weight. The rear triangle is also more strong as they patented a triangular clamp which is a perfect fit when clasped. The Brompton's ones are still wiggly and same as the MIT's.

But let's face it fairly..............If you buy a Brompton and then decides to sell, you can still let it go for 5K plus but this one, if you buy locally (about the same price as a B), how much do you think you can get?  whistling.gif

PS/Come to think of it..............The best ride is still FnHon's 16 inch frame. Shod it with Lite Pro wheels, Tiagra 2x10 speed (Sell off the cranks and get Lite Pro 55/39T and also the brifters ) , Shimano SL-r780 shifters, Schwalbe tires, LitePro seatpost, clamps, quick release, Brooks saddle, the price comes to about 4K , give and take 300 bucks. Folds as small too, both can fit into IKEA Dimpa bag. Also it is sub 10 kgs.  Tapi 'TAKDE GAYA' lah.  tongue.gif
May i know which model of Fnhon 16"frame u are referring to? Thinking of get the cr-mo fnhon frame but some of the features like doesnt support kick stand(I wanted a double kickstand) and magnet put be back a lil bit as i doubt the bike will stay when folded and carry. Look like a very good deal and awesome paint job from taobao.com.
KenC
post Jul 4 2017, 11:01 AM

Getting Started
78 posts

Brampton so many years making bike their frame still wiggly…?? damn… who in the right mind wouldn't perfect their design after decades of profit? Damn…

This post has been edited by KenC: Jul 4 2017, 11:25 AM
gataddhin
post Jul 4 2017, 11:40 AM

10 posts

Most 16" and 20" bicycles are rated for riders up to 230 lbs (105 kg) but this curl i8 is rated for riders up to 286lbs (130kg). May be it is designed for heavy riders. Hahaha
azamunekurone
post Jul 4 2017, 03:09 PM

Getting Started
140 posts

QUOTE(etigge @ Jul 4 2017, 09:21 AM)
PS/Come to think of it..............The best ride is still FnHon's 16 inch frame. Shod it with Lite Pro wheels, Tiagra 2x10 speed (Sell off the cranks and get Lite Pro 55/39T and also the brifters ) , Shimano SL-r780 shifters, Schwalbe tires, LitePro seatpost, clamps, quick release, Brooks saddle, the price comes to about 4K , give and take 300 bucks. Folds as small too, both can fit into IKEA Dimpa bag. Also it is sub 10 kgs.  Tapi 'TAKDE GAYA' lah.  tongue.gif
"GAYA" comes with special price tag hmm.gif

QUOTE(small_fish18 @ Jul 4 2017, 10:35 AM)
May i know which model of Fnhon 16"frame u are referring to? Thinking of get the cr-mo fnhon frame but some of the features like doesnt support kick stand(I wanted a double kickstand) and magnet put be back a lil bit as i doubt the bike will stay when folded and carry. Look like a very good deal and awesome paint job from taobao.com.
ur refering to fgc1609 i think. the model chromoly without kick stand for 16. and those frame cant fit fd for double chainring. a bit pricey and heavy compare to zephyr. my friend using and couple it with sram dual drive+349 wheels.. really cool and can beat brommy wooo.. cool2.gif

if u dont want to pening, get fnhon ka1618 (zephyr)
its a good frame and total weight after build below 10kg, but like etigge said, no gaya lah laugh.gif

This post has been edited by azamunekurone: Jul 4 2017, 03:11 PM
etigge
post Jul 4 2017, 03:10 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(small_fish18 @ Jul 4 2017, 10:35 AM)
This is the one. The model still available from Taobao. The lady owner rode many long journeys with me. Even once the epic Kampar to Sitiawan and back (first day with 26 kilometer of plantation offroads) . Totalling 200 kilometers for 2 days. This is the comparison between my Dahon Speed with the FnHon when folded. That was 3 to 4 years ago and that time after assembling the total cost was about 3K.
Frame and fork FnHon, Dahon handlepost, Shimano Tiagra shifters,RD,FD and chain. FSA crank, Shimano Deore brake levers and calipers, LitePro rims, seatpost ,FD adapter, seat post clamp, Novatec hubs, Kenda tires, Propalm grips, Jagwire cables and housing, Suntour pedals (broke after 2 rides then changed to Wellgo )

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by etigge: Jul 4 2017, 03:18 PM
chanti-sama
post Jul 4 2017, 03:44 PM

Enthusiast
709 posts

Hi All sifu... just received the frame and also last bits if items. Was talking to the seller, I didnt know that c-brakes is not a direct plug n play for that Fnhon tornado frame as he pointed out the rear caliper is short type and its very difficult to reach the wheels. Also the center mount holes are too small for the bolt both rear and fork. End up buy V-brakes, *swt... was planning to put them 105-brakes. Anyways, looking forward for a weekend build.
etigge
post Jul 4 2017, 06:54 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(chanti-sama @ Jul 4 2017, 03:44 PM)
Hi All sifu... just received the frame and also last bits if items. Was talking to the seller, I didnt know that c-brakes is not a direct plug n play for that  Fnhon tornado frame as he pointed out the rear caliper is short type and its very difficult to reach the wheels. Also the center mount holes are too small for the bolt both rear and fork. End up buy V-brakes, *swt... was planning to put them 105-brakes. Anyways, looking forward for a weekend build.
You can still use the 105 caliper brakes. All you need is the caliper brake extensions which is available from Billyshop.
Here's the link,
http://bicyclebuysell.com/item/351496/lite...ng-bike-adapter

Alternatively, you can also use the cheaper V-brake extender but the force won't be as strong on C-brakes. Also available from Billyshop. There's also another alternative but this usually works on the rear only.

http://bicyclebuysell.com/item/351495/fold...pter-dahon-tern
KenC
post Jul 4 2017, 07:15 PM

Getting Started
78 posts

Genuine C-brake, hole too small… LMAO typical sales talk!
You need to enlarge the hole only on one side. Either by a round needle file or a long drill. Takes a bit of skill to make the brake seat correctly.
What you need is long reach caliper brake.
You can try Tektro 365, it has 52~72mm reach.
Or you can use the brake extender to do the patch job.

If you use V-brake and drop bar, do use short arm V-brake so that the pull is compatible.

This post has been edited by KenC: Jul 4 2017, 07:21 PM
desastar
post Jul 4 2017, 10:07 PM

42 posts

QUOTE(azamunekurone @ Jul 4 2017, 03:09 PM)
"GAYA" comes with special price tag  hmm.gif
ur refering to fgc1609 i think. the model chromoly without kick stand for 16. and those frame cant fit fd for double chainring. a bit pricey and heavy compare to zephyr. my friend using and couple it with sram dual drive+349 wheels.. really cool and can beat brommy wooo.. cool2.gif
All Brompton needs to do is to re-engineer their rear triangle to the normal 130-135mm. Then, we will be able to fit more gears etc, and it will be hard to beat.

At present, no one can better the fold, but just about any bike will beat it in terms of rideability.

148 Pages « < 128 129 130 131 132 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0221sec    0.49    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:31 AM