21 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Folding Bicycles v5 - Not only Folding Bikes, Folding bicycle discussion

views

etigge
post Nov 27 2015, 11:08 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(Bensonleemun @ Nov 26 2015, 09:43 PM)
Hello fellow foldies... So i recently got myself a mongoose bike.may i know if its possible to upgrade my single chainring to a 60t one? Currently using shimano tourney. How much is the estimated cost?
Another option is to get an even smaller cassette combinations. There are cassette that starts from 9 cogs instead of 11. You just need to trawl through the internet. Seems more logical too , rather than changing the front chain ring to 60T which actually looks ridiculous. If you can find the 9 cog, the gear is even higher than a 60 teeth chain ring.

60T/11cogs = ratio 5.454

53T/9 cogs = ratio 5.888

55T/9 cogs = ratio 6.111

58T/9 cogs = ratio 6.444

I come to realise that many riders wants to mod their bikes without actually understanding the theory behind the mods rclxub.gif Study the facts because sometimes the general public is not always right. Your fellow riders might have done it and even he has bungled the mod and is regretting, he will never admit it. If this is the case, you will be blindly following without even realizing. laugh.gif

FOR REFERENCE the normal ratio , 53T/11 cogs = 4.818 ( for those not familiar, the ratio here means the number of revolution the rear wheels turns on one turn of the crank )

This post has been edited by etigge: Nov 27 2015, 11:11 AM
etigge
post Nov 27 2015, 10:10 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(H2D @ Nov 27 2015, 12:24 PM)
9t kaset is rare sifoo.. price oso almost same as mongoose liao... biggrin.gif
non existence in china oso...  tht y they go to 70T....
Ada lah bang! tongue.gif Also not expensive lorr. You can get from Amazon, my first google but I didn't check further. It's Shimano Capreo. The price is USD37.54 free shipping in US but don't know about here lah. Here's the link, Mau cepat-cepat beli lorr, stocks not many left.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-CS-HG70-Moun...e/dp/B00STRLUHI

user posted image

This post has been edited by etigge: Nov 27 2015, 10:13 PM
etigge
post Nov 28 2015, 06:58 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(PaulKong @ Nov 28 2015, 01:58 PM)
Sifu Etigge,

You mention about Brompton in Hong Kong are selling at HKD 8000. Is it used or new?
Used one off course!
etigge
post Nov 30 2015, 10:05 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(desastar @ Nov 29 2015, 05:52 AM)
Absolutely, but I don't like the fact that it looks like the real thing when it's not. Perhaps some manufacturers should produce a bolt-on after-market rear triangle that is standard 130mm. That would be a better direction rather than copying someone's design.
Brompton's folding patent has expired now so anyone can copy. Seems not many do anyway. Even the Dahon Curl which follows the compact fold design has improved on the design. Hence they can fold even more compact than the 'B' with an even bigger wheels. It's an exact 18 inch folder. They have also improved on the rear triangle fold where when attached, it is a rigid design rather than a damping system. So, that means you don't waste energy on the slight bobbing on the rear.

In Europe, UK specifically there's a company that makes the 'B' rear triangle. They enlarged the rear clearance for a normal 135mm hubs for the Rohloff systems. The triangle itself (custom made) cost something like 700+ pounds plus the Rohloff (14 speed) is about 2.5K Ringgit. Even if you opt for Shimano Alfine (11 speed) it's still about 1.5K Ringgit. IMO 'B' is all about money, that's why 'B' riders feels proud to ride one. It's a status symbol.

This post has been edited by etigge: Nov 30 2015, 10:06 AM
etigge
post Dec 1 2015, 03:44 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(TradingHouse @ Dec 1 2015, 02:02 PM)
Guys,

Need advice on choosing my first foldies.

Been searching around, quite like the design and shape of Dahon Mu D8, but hoping can get one that is below 2k.

Any other option I should look at/consider?
The Mu is one of the more expensive models. It's the most popular dolphin models used by foldies. The new Trinx is also the similar dolphin model and it has all the necessary components for a foldie. 18 speed Shimano Sora drivetrain, 451 = 22 inch high profile wheelset. If you can accept Trinx, it should be a bargain. Available in Kimbell Jaya within your budget, give and take a hundred or two. Haggle for freebies, they usually oblige. Like water bottle cage, water bottle, rear lights etc. Anyway, you might as well visit Kimbell Jaya (ask for Jimmy) and see the wide range that he has stock there.

user posted image
etigge
post Dec 2 2015, 07:01 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(world_traveler @ Dec 2 2015, 02:33 PM)
@etigge, please help, thanks.
I really can't comment on new rider preferences. Usually we advised something , they turn out something else. Also I might be quite biased towards Dahon. Not that Tern is not good but the extra price is just not worth paying. Other than these two, I see rides tend to have the temptation to change later after riding in a group. But then selling off a used unit is never easy because they expect to loose 15% to 30% which I think most buyers won't go for it, so they stick to the bike. Also many new riders stays to one bike and Dahon are quite low spec-ed for their cheaper units and many won't want to pay for upgrading of the bikes. It's never cheap. Some calculate by the percentage of the bike cost.

Eg. Bike cost 1K, so upgradings should never go beyond half of it. Then gain, the cost to mod a dual chainring already exceeded that. So, many will go for the full spec-ed with a cheaper price. That's why I tend to recommend the Trinx now. laugh.gif Our use, we will never exceed beyond the hardiness of the bikes. Maybe they need more maintenance. But even if they get the 18 speed Trinx, they will try to change to better brands because of peer pressure among the riders. Look at Bromptons, look at the sales. Many riders ride far and long and Bromtons are never meant for that, so suffer lorr! rclxub.gif Many 'B' riders also have other bikes for tougher terrains.

Also, many riders don't understand that, in my case, I go for the best groupset that I can afford, maybe even forced to afford. It might even cost three times the cost of the bike. But those components stays with me even when I change the bike. Like when I rode the Dahon EcoC7, it was modified to Shimano 27 speed and when I wanted to change to Dahon Speed, every part is transferred to the Speed , although old, it is still durable. Then the new components from the Speed goes to the Eco C7 and sold off.

As for Dahon SUV, that's the most basic unit from Dahon to counter the cheaper foldies. The frame is quite guaranteed but the components, you know lah! Pandai pandai loh! I also know many who buys a cheap foldie and when they get serious, they go for a higher end bike and the old one pass it to their spouse, sakit loh their spouse. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by etigge: Dec 3 2015, 09:13 AM
etigge
post Dec 4 2015, 09:54 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(desastar @ Dec 4 2015, 07:12 PM)
I've just picked this up.  A 2011 Dahon Speed TR. I was deciding between a Speed P8 and this, very similar price. I figured you are getting so much more for your dollar with the TR.

Sram Dual Drive which I really like. 
Very adjustable handlebar stem.
Biologic dynamo front hub
Seatpost pump
Full racks
Ergon grips
Kinetic rims
MKS detachable pedals

But.....it is heavy.  I can easily lose 2 kgs, but I will leave it the way it is for now.  It has done some kms judging by the wear of the back tyre, but incredibly, the bike is flawless, no paint damage etc.

I rode a couple of kms back home and it felt like a big bike due to the weight.  The gears all changed smoothly. Might have to tighten the clamps, adjust the hubs and headset, but other than that, all good!

Any TR fans out there?  biggrin.gif
thumbup.gif thumbup.gif This is the touring version of Dahon Speed. Nice choice and colour. Itu Se 'suku' have got 2 of the same but black.

This post has been edited by etigge: Dec 6 2015, 12:06 AM
etigge
post Dec 6 2015, 11:13 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(desastar @ Dec 6 2015, 06:55 AM)
Quick question, where can I buy a good headset for the Dahon in KL? Are the Litepro ones genuine? Haha
There are many fake Litepro around but then how do we distinguish one from the other rclxub.gif All of them are light. You can get a good seal bearing from GW Cycle Boutique in Kota Kemuning. I have actually use the normal integrated headset for mountain bikes on the Dahons and it does fit except you got to use a few old parts like the top cover and probably the spacer from the old headset. The bearing holder and the sealed bearing can fit into the 44mm headtube of the folding bike.

laugh.gif But the mountain bike headset is more expensive than the folding bike ones. So, makes no sense unless you have a spare old unit lying around.

Still best choice is GW Cycle. thumbup.gif
etigge
post Dec 6 2015, 10:01 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(desastar @ Dec 6 2015, 05:00 PM)
Isn't it a shame these days that we don't really know what we buy is the real thing or a fake. Or perhaps it was produced by the same factory anyway?

GW Cycles looks good. I should pay them a visit in a few weeks time and check out the bikes. Didn't know they have Birdys. Do they allow test rides? 🤔
Many years ago, GW was an importer for those container bicycles from Japan. Slowly they became an agent for Pedalsport. One of the brands then was Pacific Cycles which are IF Reach and Birdys. Later when Pedalsport gave up the franchise, GW took over and now they even have the President of Pacific Cycles visiting them. GW successfully maintained what Pedalsport failed to do. Now Pedalsport is the franchised importer for Bromptons but their main interest are SRAM and Rockshox.

I am sure you can test ride. You can use Fei Lee's or Phoebe's own bike.
etigge
post Dec 8 2015, 08:36 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(hnr2802 @ Dec 8 2015, 07:23 PM)
Sifu etigge have been helpful in my previous modding endeavor smile.gif  But now i want to ask everyone here.
I have reading online a lot but couldn't find any answer. Is it possible to convert my existing brake system to caliper brake & still use the sks mudguard?
caliper brake, I don't think so.

This post has been edited by etigge: Dec 8 2015, 08:37 PM
etigge
post Dec 8 2015, 08:39 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(266K @ Dec 8 2015, 07:56 PM)
Sifu, ~ 2 year old Dahon MU P8 worth buying at rm1200?, seldom use per user... icon_question.gif
YES, The MU is about 2.6K now.
etigge
post Dec 11 2015, 07:54 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(nicolelcb210 @ Dec 10 2015, 07:26 PM)
Oops! I mean to all the sifu*

May I know where to get Tern Link P24 h in Malaysia ??as I've tried asking around and hv been told that it is not available anymore.

Or is there any touring bike that is below rm 3k that Sufi can recommend?
If you are really into the P24, it actually can be modded from a usual Tern Link. You have to start from the Link off course. The dual drive is still available online and 8 speed usual drive is everywhere. In fact the cost might be even cheaper. Just google SRAM dual drive and check the online sites. On the flip side, if the drive is the prime reason, there's no barring that other frames can be used, eg. Dahon Speed, MU, Falco or even their sister frames from FnHon.

Again, hahaaaha...................Why not the whole 30 speed with the regular FD and FD ? laugh.gif Also this don't make the rear heavy like the Link P24. It's really heavy at the rear. Cheers! thumbup.gif
etigge
post Dec 11 2015, 07:55 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(LickGuy @ Dec 11 2015, 12:26 AM)
errm... i'm thinking to get a cheap foldable bicycle ...
saw some on groupon.my from about 300-500+,
are those okay? don't think will go on/off road, I just want ride in my neighborhood *occasionally* as a casual sport. not much expectation as long as it don't kaput for no reason within few years on minor usage will do.

pro pls dun tembak me ahahaha
One word says all............No tembakking! laugh.gif Those bikes won't last you a few years. nod.gif
etigge
post Dec 11 2015, 12:09 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(steel52 @ Dec 11 2015, 09:52 AM)
if so, can u recommend me which type of bike is suitable ? 

if possible below 1k
http://bicyclebuysell.com/item/330135/pega...4-speed-shimano
Go for the more reputable brands like Dahon, Tern or even Raleighs which is well within your 1K budget. The Dahon SUV is about RM800 only. Tern is higher, the entry level is 1.4K but the Dahon Route which has similar specs is much cheaper than that. I think you should visit a bike shop and if you are in Klang Valley, go Kimbell Jaya. Stocks most of the brands available, even the MIT, TXed which are hard to come by. Go 'cuci mata' also OK mah! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by etigge: Dec 11 2015, 12:10 PM
etigge
post Dec 12 2015, 08:54 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(desastar @ Dec 12 2015, 06:38 AM)
I have considered modding but it actually cost too much. SRAM dual drive hub will be at least US250-300 plus shipping, plus shifters.
If you have a contact to get cheap SRAM DD hub, please let me know as I'm interested to get one for my single speed bike.
Thanks!  biggrin.gif
When SRAM started, they don't have an internal gear division. They then took over SACHS. Those days, only Sturmey Archers and Sachs are the main players. Sturmey Archers is around even when I was riding a Raleigh Chopper 1977 (also 3 speed) and they lasted till today. After SRAM took over Sachs, the price skyrocketed because of their branding and not necessary because of their expertise. So, why limit yourself to a SRAM ? hmm.gif

Sturmey Archers actually have 5 and 8 speed (if I can recall). The 5 speed shares the same interior measurements with the 3 speed. That means if you can buy the 5 speed innards ( probably from UK ), you can fit it into a 3 speed Brompton hub. SO, that converts the 6 speed into 10 speed. Nobody here does that here. I have actually bought an old SA hubs and dis-assembled it and rebuilt it and it is actually not that hard. Alas, Brompton owners don't trust non-Brompton owners to do their precious bikes so I never service for anyone before.

I would rather go for the Shimano Alfine which comes in 8 speed (very cheap nowadays) but the 11 speed would cover more ratios. A cheaper option will be the Shimano Nexus which is 8 speed. Best option of all, I would say IMO wink.gif is to hunt for a used Rohloff in eBay. thumbup.gif 14 speed which covers almost the entire 3 X 9 speed of the conventional FD and RD gearing systems. Also Rohloff are maintenance free!

tongue.gif Cheers!
etigge
post Dec 14 2015, 08:11 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(hnr2802 @ Dec 14 2015, 11:29 AM)
i just wanna know is there any folding club in kl? searching facebook couldnt find one. maybe they use a unique name for their club.
Look for Happy Cycling or Foldie and Me.
etigge
post Dec 14 2015, 08:21 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

New folding bike coming. Launching this 20th December. Folds like a Brompton, much much lighter than a Brompton and wheels a full 18 inch, bigger than a Brompton. It's marketed at USD2400 for the regular black colour and USD2500 for the blue/black ones. Fully carbon fibre inclusive the handlepost and handlebars, seat post too,Interested contact Chedech at
https://www.facebook.com/chedechbike/

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

This post has been edited by etigge: Dec 14 2015, 08:22 PM
etigge
post Dec 15 2015, 10:58 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(266K @ Dec 15 2015, 09:42 AM)
Sifu, I need to remove rear wheel cassette for cleaning. May I know if the 3 in 1 tool will  do... icon_question.gif

Never done it before... blush.gif

http://bicyclebuysell.com/item/308790/bb-o...tte-opener-rm30

is a Dahon MU P8 btw.
You still need a cassette opening tool. The one shown is just to hold the cassette. And also you need a spanner wide enough to unlock the cassette opener.
etigge
post Dec 15 2015, 11:03 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(desastar @ Dec 15 2015, 06:04 AM)
This bike has no provision for mudguards or rack so that alone will put some people off. The existing rear guard looks weird. I still like my foldy in steel or titanium and 9kg is not light for a carbon one don't you think?
I don't think they planned to put in a rack. Their description of the foldie is folding velo laugh.gif hahaaa. I think it is 11kg but if you carry one around and especially if you are a lady, a 11kg foldie is much much more relief than a 14kg + Brompton. My only doubt is the flexing and creaking found in most carbon frames. Even the Oribike creaks like nobody's business. Still, waiting for the blasted Dahon Curl to be launched so that comparisons can be made is wiser.
etigge
post Dec 15 2015, 02:03 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(mscw88 @ Dec 15 2015, 01:03 PM)
Asogo folding bike any good ?  price seems pretty affordable / cheap !
Still no answer from anyone yet? blush.gif Many members here are polite. From here I hope you can deduct what the opinions are. icon_rolleyes.gif

21 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1635sec    1.66    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 10th December 2019 - 07:41 AM