Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Folding Bicycles v5 - Not only Folding Bikes, Folding bicycle discussion

gck
post Jun 23 2017, 03:31 PM
Group: Junior Member

i never care about bike too much, that also explain i dont have expensive bike, i got a khs roadbike aluminium sometimes i whack it like cyclocross.
My tern foldie also go anywhere since it is a big apple tyre.
bike is to serve me, not vice versa.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KenC
post Jun 23 2017, 05:16 PM
Getting Started

I advocate riding the bike you don't mind scratched/crash/stolen/landfill/giveaway for free.
If you complain, it's a sign that the bike is too big a financial burden, ( can buy and can afford are 2 separate issues) .
Cycling is about freedom and care free; Where got fun riding a burden?

+Quote Post
fatani
post Jun 23 2017, 05:30 PM
Getting Started

QUOTE(gck @ Jun 23 2017, 02:31 PM)
i never care about bike too much, that also explain i dont have expensive bike, i got a khs roadbike aluminium sometimes i whack it like cyclocross.
My tern foldie also go anywhere since it is a big apple tyre.
bike is to serve me, not vice versa.
2nd!

I bought the mtb, the next day terus offroad. Hehe.. actually, all my bikes have scratches here and there.. couldn't care less. What matters is i have fun with it. smile.gif
+Quote Post
KenC
post Jun 23 2017, 06:09 PM
Getting Started

Not everyone share the same idea about bicycle. There are those who just need a pair of wheels to start cycle and there are those who can must have a gaya bike or no cycling…
All are well, just don't affect other riders with your obsession… eg, complain no end during the ride… most cyclist don't mind waiting for slower rider but only a few enjoy constant nagging/complaining/Nick picking… Do that to your spouse or during shrink sessions…

This post has been edited by KenC: Jun 23 2017, 08:03 PM
+Quote Post
desastar
post Jun 24 2017, 01:29 PM

QUOTE(KenC @ Jun 23 2017, 06:09 PM)
Not everyone share the same idea about bicycle. There are those who just need a pair of wheels to start cycle and there are those who can must have a gaya bike or no cycling…
All are well, just don't affect other riders with your obsession… eg, complain no end during the ride… most cyclist don't mind waiting for slower rider but only a few enjoy constant nagging/complaining/Nick picking… Do that to your spouse or during shrink sessions…
That is true. Your own choice and if you decide to spend a lot on a bike, is it wrong to treasure it? I pick what is suitable for the ride, but what if you have only one bike? Not fair to criticize others I feel. Some comments here show small mindedness......

+Quote Post
desastar
post Jun 24 2017, 01:37 PM

QUOTE(etigge @ Jun 23 2017, 03:10 PM)

user posted image
user posted image
Two extremes, small Bs and mtbs....

The B riders should have known, these are not ideal riding surfaces for ANY small wheeled bikes. If I have spent zillions upgrading my B, I definitely would have stayed in the bus! Hahaha

Lets be reasonable, Bs are slow anyway, riding in that condition, worse lah. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
etigge
post Jun 24 2017, 04:32 PM
Getting Started

QUOTE(desastar @ Jun 24 2017, 01:37 PM)
Two extremes, small Bs and mtbs....

The B riders should have known, these are not ideal riding surfaces for ANY small wheeled bikes. If I have spent zillions upgrading my B, I definitely would have stayed in the bus! Hahaha

Lets be reasonable, Bs are slow anyway, riding in that condition, worse lah.  biggrin.gif
The trail is nice when it is dry. But you have to put more effort if it rains and rain as you know is a common so one should be prepared for it. My beef was not waiting or sweeping but more on how they complained about the condition of their bikes. I personally have ridden with a B rider (just both of us, I am on a Dahon) through 4 hours of rigorous plantation gravel roads. He seems OK with it and the B holds strongly. I mean you pay 6K to 7K for the bike, surely you have more confidence on the bike. Furthermore, the offroad trail was just less than a quarter of the whole ride, meant to be a digression from the boring tarmac.

What's more frustrating was , I wasn't the one who invited them. rclxub.gif

user posted image

+Quote Post
etigge
post Jun 24 2017, 04:51 PM
Getting Started

Whatever sport it is, we always have zealous participants. You can't avoid it. Road bikers calls mountain bikers "barbarians" , mountain bikers calls them "lycra pansies" and both of them call folding bikers to " Get a real bike". tongue.gif

Let not just talk about technical part of the bikes. Let's talk about something that I see and hear on every ride I have.

" What does your spouse says about your riding ?" I mean for those whose spouse don't ride. I can't answer that because my wife rides too and in a matter of fact, she's more crazy about it than I am. So, I am really curious. I mentioned before I have a friend who rides a Fuji Absolute hybrid, tours for 4 days to a week at a time , just to avoid going home! rclxub.gif At times he even rides alone.

Then in Ipoh, the men riders are really scared of the queen at home. They have to be back by noon, clean up and take the family for lunch. What's wrong with the wife taking the kids out for lunch, once a week and let the husband enjoy riding. I mean it's good for the hubby to sweat it out, right? It's healthy. I even seen one who was banned from cycling because he broke his promise of not coming home at the appointed time. I stopped joining the Ipoh group because , they rush through the ride and finish by 10.30am and have a meal and be gone by noon! I am a slow rider so the 'RUSH' is not for me.

There's one where the man rules, he wants his wife to ride. So, he buys a bike for her and sort of forces her to ride. She confess to my wife that she don't like riding. rclxub.gif So, the husband tries to fine tune the ride so much to the extent of changing every plan for the ride. Back up pickups larr, Start from here larr, all sorts of plans to facilitate the convenience to his wife riding.

Most men can't convince their wifes that riding is beneficial in the long run. Once a week is not that bad even if it is till evening. Some buys a 5K bike and tells the wife it's only 850 bucks! Hahahaaa. One day the wife sells off his bike for half price then he knows. tongue.gif I guess there are many reasons behind this, what's your story? whistling.gif

This post has been edited by etigge: Jun 24 2017, 04:56 PM
+Quote Post
KenC
post Jun 24 2017, 06:32 PM
Getting Started

QUOTE(etigge @ Jun 24 2017, 04:51 PM)
Whatever sport it is, we always have zealous participants. You can't avoid it. Road bikers calls mountain bikers "barbarians" , mountain bikers calls them "lycra pansies" and both of them call folding bikers to " Get a real bike".  tongue.gif

Let not just talk about technical part of the bikes. Let's talk about something that I see and hear on every ride I have.

" What does your spouse says about your riding ?" I mean for those whose spouse don't ride. I can't answer that because my wife rides too and in a matter of fact, she's more crazy about it than I am. So, I am really curious. I mentioned before I have a friend who rides a Fuji Absolute hybrid, tours for 4 days to a week at a time , just to avoid going home!  rclxub.gif At times he even rides alone.

Then in Ipoh, the men riders are really scared of the queen at home. They have to be back by noon, clean up and take the family for lunch. What's wrong with the wife taking the kids out for lunch, once a week and let the husband enjoy riding. I mean it's good for the hubby to sweat it out, right? It's healthy. I even seen one who was banned from cycling because he broke his promise of not coming home at the appointed time. I stopped joining the Ipoh group because , they rush through the ride and finish by 10.30am and have a meal and be gone by noon! I am a slow rider so the 'RUSH' is not for me.

There's one where the man rules, he wants his wife to ride. So, he buys a bike for her and sort of forces her to ride. She confess to my wife that she don't like riding.  rclxub.gif So, the husband tries to fine tune the ride so much to the extent of changing every plan for the ride. Back up pickups larr,  Start from here larr, all sorts of plans to facilitate the convenience to his wife riding.

Most men can't convince their wifes that riding is beneficial in the long run. Once a week is not that bad even if it is till evening. Some buys a 5K bike and tells the wife it's only 850 bucks! Hahahaaa. One day the wife sells off his bike for half price then he knows.  tongue.gif I guess there are many reasons behind this, what's your story?  whistling.gif
Bring support car for wife, I know someone who does that...

Ask the wife if she prefer the hubby play bicycle or play women… LOL

+Quote Post
fatani
post Jun 25 2017, 02:16 AM
Getting Started

I bought the bike for my wife first, then i bought mine. In the end, it was me who rode her bike most of the time. Hehe

Allocate some time to ride with your family. I did weekend riding with them. My wife is not into biking, but the more time she spent on a bike, in kinda blossom into her. Win win maa..
+Quote Post
tunasandwich
post Jun 25 2017, 01:01 PM
Enthusiast
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(gataddhin @ Jun 22 2017, 06:34 AM)
Last month, I saw a Neo Stage 203 was displayed at one of the bike shops in Bangkok, price tag 9,000 Baht.
sweet! any idea how to bring it back to MY tho...?/sweat
+Quote Post
gataddhin
post Jun 25 2017, 09:13 PM

You can fly to Bangkok and bring it it back. Airasia from kl to Bangkok is about RM120 and RM150 for return excluding RM60 of 20kg sports equipment baggage.

I think you can get it here but it is retailed at RM1,700.

Good luck. Happy cycling.
+Quote Post
myak9
post Jun 25 2017, 11:46 PM

hi etigge..
its been a while since I read the foldie post here ..how are you doing..I haven't been riding for some time.. but must get back into riding again..where do you ride now a days..I am looking for another kukuxumusu.. do you know who has it and would like to sell it..

This post has been edited by myak9: Jun 25 2017, 11:50 PM
+Quote Post
etigge
post Jun 25 2017, 11:58 PM
Getting Started

QUOTE(myak9 @ Jun 25 2017, 11:46 PM)
hi etigge..
its been a while since I read the foldie post here ..how are you doing..I haven't been riding for some time.. but must get back into riding again..where do you ride now a days..I am looking for another kukuxumusu.. do you know who has it and would like to sell it..
Hai, I am residing in Taiping now after my wife retired. But I ride around Ipoh and around here nowadays. Sometimes further north till Kulim and Penang. I also do Kedah but since the BM/Padang Besar Komuter trains stop allowing bikes, I stopped riding there for the mean time. I think the only 'kukuxumusu' I know is yours. Other than that, I don't know who else has it. Since it is a limited edition, I doubt you can find another one, regardless old or new ! It's a 2010 edition and that's like 6 to 7 years ago.
+Quote Post
myak9
post Yesterday, 12:28 AM

by the way..
Any foldie rider in penang who are still having group ride and are interested to let me ride along..

etigge..
ohh taiping.. ok.. will find a day to visit you.. will whats app you soon..I thimk I still have your no..

+Quote Post
etigge
post Yesterday, 09:16 AM
Getting Started

QUOTE(myak9 @ Jun 26 2017, 12:28 AM)
by the way..
Any foldie rider in penang who are still having group ride and are  interested to let me ride along..

etigge..
ohh taiping.. ok.. will find a day to visit you.. will whats app you soon..I thimk I still have your no..
The former Bayan Lepas Folding Bikes or now called Trailblazers are still riding strong. Then most of them are riding Bromptons now since Andy Thum got the dealership there. Still there are a few who aren't. PM me your FB user name and I will add you in. They mostly do rides around Bayan Lepas and Balik Pulau. I don't join them much now since the Kuala Gula ride that I mentioned in the comment earlier. If I ride Penang I will just call a few riders there and ride in a small group. Maybe I msg you if I do. But I do mountain bike more nowadays.
+Quote Post
azamunekurone
post Yesterday, 07:43 PM
Getting Started

selamat hari raya & happy holiday everyone!

user posted image
+Quote Post
mattalex
post Today, 11:46 AM

Any of you tried out or own the NordicTrack 26" folding bike sold at one of our fitness store chains? Price around RM 1K . Comes with 21 speed Shimano, disc brakes, Kenda tires, suspension fork, etc.? Sounds like a real bargain based on specs, but curious on performance and reliability of the folding mechanism.
+Quote Post
etigge
post Today, 12:38 PM
Getting Started

QUOTE(mattalex @ Jun 27 2017, 11:46 AM)
Any of you tried out or own the NordicTrack 26" folding bike sold at one of our fitness store chains? Price around RM 1K . Comes with 21 speed Shimano, disc brakes, Kenda tires, suspension fork, etc.? Sounds like a real bargain based on specs, but curious on performance and reliability of the folding mechanism.
Nope......the specs are not a bargain actually. Basically it is still a 7 speed obsolete gear set. Plus the front 3 makes it 21 speed. If you really want a folding 26 inch folding bike, the top choice would be off course the Montague Paratrooper but it's expensive. At least go for the Dahon Expresso or there's a model from Java, can't recall which model. The suspension on the bike you mentioned is the same as the 300 bucks China mtbs.

If you really want a 26 inch bike with the same budget, I suggest go for the regular non folding ones. Get one with at least a Suntour fork and 27 speed which will cost about the same. Brands like Totem, Trinx, XDS with 27 speed specs cost about 1K or there about. If used unit is not a problem, hunt for used mtbs and I will assure you , it will last till you give up or at least when you sell, there are someone who will take it, unlike the one you mentioned.

Even if you get non folding mtb, you can still carry it in your car. I carry 2 bikes and 2 riders all the time in my car. I don't use top carriers either because it makes us hard to park our cars when we go for a meal after ride. Need to find parking space right in front of where we sit. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by etigge: Today, 12:39 PM
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0978sec    3.62    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 27th June 2017 - 05:01 PM