Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Cat Lovers V7 ^_^, Fabulous Cats & People

views

kizwan
post Aug 22 2017, 02:43 AM

BÖw DÖwn TÖ LÖrd PringlËs
826 posts

QUOTE(rmsk932 @ Aug 20 2017, 03:02 PM)
I agree rescuing is just trying to fix the problem not the source. If found people to adopt it's good else finally they put down the animals also right?

Spaying is actually quite expensive as my vet says need to vaccinate 3 times first before spaying the mother stray. Is that true elsewhere?

Only way is SPCA or vets offering free spaying as a public service but doubt will happen as a big source of vets income. Any subsidy in Penang?

The other is illegal breeding farms which folks just need to stop buying pets but start adopting free from friends and centers. That's just my opinion right or wrong.
Gov veterinary clinic that I go to neuter my cats doesn't require vaccination. The clinic is Kerian District Veterinary Office & they charged 40 for male & 80 for female. I'm not sure with other gov clinics regarding the vaccination requirement but I think should be the same.

If you want start doing trap-neuter-release stray cats, then you'll need to have space at your home for temporary home for the stray cats & once they healed, then you can release them to their original "home" or find new family to adopt them.

QUOTE(basilisk @ Aug 20 2017, 03:17 PM)
spaying in penang the lowest cost i have found so far is frm a vet @ bayan baru,

the trap neuter and release group in pg send the cats to her for spaying and neutering.

normal vets will say need to fully vaccinate 3 times, but hey we are dealing with strays you know,

first catching them is an issue, now you want to catch them 3 times in 2 months then only can spay/neuter them?

by tht time the females already given birth.

so the vets that support neutering/spaying, would not insist on fully vaccinate the cats and dogs,

they will just vaccinate once and then neuter at the same time.

ngo and vet cant afford to offer free neutering, it is the local gov or some rich organization that should do it.

penang gov is planning a neuter stray program, not sure when it will happen.
Well, you don't catch them 3 times. You'll need to temporary adopt the stray cats until they are neutered & healed.

QUOTE(RaymondReddington @ Aug 20 2017, 06:05 PM)
I rescued 2 cats and recently found they have fleas. Was clean last time I checked.
Now with flea comb can whack about 5 to 10 initially but now because of regular combing and bath already down to 2 to 3 per day and today is zero.

But I believe they will come back so I started buying a bagged vacuum to clean the floor and sofa/chair they sleep on.
I bath my cats in dish washing soap for now.
I have not used any active spot-on products yet, should I ?

I am considering advantage for cats but I heard from pet store salesperson that it is not allowed to be sold in retail, and it's vet prescription only.
Should I use a spot-on product to turn my cats into a walking flea bomb?

I doubt my vacuuming/cleaning can get all the eggs/larvae immediately, as I am trying to permanently break the flea life cycle and I wonder if spot on products would help in addition to baths, vacuum, flea combing.
You're doing great using the dish soap. Even if you use poison like spot on, flea can still come back after few months. What I do to my cats are adding a tea spoon of Apple Cider Vinegar to their drinking water, regularly vacuum my place & regularly check both my cats and stray cats (that regularly come to my house) for fleas which if they have, I'll use comb & soapy water to kill the fleas. I found that using ACV in their drinking water do protect my cats from fleas for months. Also when fleas get to the cats that drinking water that contain ACV, I noticed they don't or can't multiply. The only thing I did not try yet is essential oils like coconut oil to improve the coat of their skin.

If you want to use poison, I recommend using the ones that only need to apply on the cat's shoulder blade. I'm not comfortable with the spray kind because even it dried out, there's still residue on their fur which they can lick. Also avoid using poison on cats that have health issue & senior cats.
basilisk
post Aug 22 2017, 07:55 AM

30 posts

QUOTE(kizwan @ Aug 22 2017, 02:43 AM)

Well, you don't catch them 3 times. You'll need to temporary adopt the stray cats until they are neutered & healed.
wht i mean bro, is doing tnr on stray street cats.. many of them are afraid of people n non human friendly, can only feed them by putting food. to bring them to vet u need to catch them wit musang trap.
SUSRaymondReddington
post Aug 22 2017, 09:25 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

Well boys and girls. I am happy to announce that both my cats I treated with revolution yesterday now have dead fleas when I combed them.

None of the fleas removed from the comb are alive, mostly dried up or flattened dead.

I also discovered the source of the fleas could've come from my old 14 year dog who's not been groomed or bathed for some time. Belongs to my brother.

So now I started grooming and treating the dog as well (not with spot-on) but kiltix flea/tick collar instead.

Going to have a hard time cleaning around the kennel though, too many junk.

I will spread sulfur powder around instead.
rmsk932
post Aug 24 2017, 04:20 PM

0 posts

thanks a lot basilisk and kiswan for your inputs. The stray is actually mother of the kittens whom I'm taking also but escaped once now worry pregnant again.

Where's the vet in bayan baru and maybe I can check if got government vet? Thanks.

Dunno how to link photos here but got in my blogs. Still new adding articles and photos when slow and steady.
My Khao Manees: http://FrozenInPenang.blogspot.my
My Mini Schnauzer: http://MiniInPenang.blogspot.my
kizwan
post Aug 25 2017, 01:37 AM

826 posts

QUOTE(rmsk932 @ Aug 24 2017, 04:20 PM)
thanks a lot basilisk and kiswan for your inputs. The stray is actually mother of the kittens whom I'm taking also but escaped once now worry pregnant again.

Where's the vet in bayan baru and maybe I can check if got government vet? Thanks.

Dunno how to link photos here but got in my blogs. Still new adding articles and photos when slow and steady.
If there's fetus in the mother cat, I mean it still in early stage in pregnancy, which vet can only discovered during surgery, they will continue spay the cat. Pretty much like abortion. However if the cat is near full term, I don't know whether the vet would abort or continue.

There is Veterinary Service Office South West District, 25 minutes from where you live. It is district office, so there's likelihood they offer neuter service there. Give them a call.
basilisk
post Aug 25 2017, 01:55 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(rmsk932 @ Aug 24 2017, 04:20 PM)

i hv pm u the details,

last year I need to spay a mom cat still nursing kittens, so start to ask around rescue groups in penang where they send

the cats for neutering. thats where i got this klinik, they never mention gov clinic, so you have to find out whether there is such a service in penang.

the price for female stray cat is RM150, need to notch the ear to show it has been neutered.

ask around you will find the price difference.

btw, in KL the lowest price of neutering cat is by a private vet, even lower than klinik kembiri spca..

this is the price in 2011, now 2017 of cos not the same anymore biggrin.gif

Pemandulan Haiwan Peliharaan
16 February 2011 at 21:35
DBKL-SPCA KLINIK KEMBIRI
Female cat spaying is RM 70 - RM 100.
Male cat castration is RM 50 - RM 80

this is the website of jab perkhidmatan veterinar PPinang

http://dvs.penang.gov.my/index.php?lang=my

can't find any info on pemandulan etc..

This post has been edited by basilisk: Aug 25 2017, 02:29 PM
Alert_RaZO
post Aug 31 2017, 02:25 PM

On my way
572 posts

Guys, I need help.

I know 1 old aunty got take care a cat, freely roam in her taman.
I suspect the cat got Sporo already. The head and neck injured. She also keep vomit.

Problem is me and the aunty very hard to catch her. Keep running away. The cat scare ppl.

Tried many way, don't feed her... Hard. She alone cannot catch also because old.

Anyway I can get help? Where to get the cowboy stick?
[attachmentid=9089465]

This post has been edited by Alert_RaZO: Aug 31 2017, 03:31 PM
kizwan
post Aug 31 2017, 05:55 PM

826 posts

QUOTE(Alert_RaZO @ Aug 31 2017, 02:25 PM)
Guys, I need help.

I know 1 old aunty got take care a cat, freely roam in her taman.
I suspect the cat got Sporo already. The head and neck injured. She also keep vomit.

Problem is me and the aunty very hard to catch her. Keep running away. The cat scare ppl.

Tried many way, don't feed her... Hard. She alone cannot catch also because old.

Anyway I can get help? Where to get the cowboy stick?
[attachmentid=9089465]
From the picture, I can't say it is sporo positively. Mosquito bites can caused those wounds too. I wish you good luck catching that cat. You likely need to gain the cat's trust first which may require a lot of your time. Please wear gloves and face mask just in case. Make sure the vet will do blood test & examination of the fluid from the lesions to confirm sporo because the sporo medicine can be toxic (as far as I know) if that cat doesn't have sporo.
basilisk
post Aug 31 2017, 05:56 PM

30 posts

where is your loc?
for cat u go buy musang cage, can get the cage easy frm shop need to find. it is like a big rat cage.

dont use the stick cos will hurt the cat when struggling. use a big net.

or u can use a dog/cat carrier put food inside, n close it when cat goes in.

cheapest way is musang trap.
user posted image

got a few group in fb where u can post for help.
let me noe, i can send you the contact / details.

This post has been edited by basilisk: Aug 31 2017, 06:18 PM
Alert_RaZO
post Aug 31 2017, 08:57 PM

On my way
572 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Aug 31 2017, 05:56 PM)
where is your loc?
for cat u go buy musang cage, can get the cage easy frm shop need to find. it is like a big rat cage.

dont use the stick cos will hurt the cat when struggling. use a big net.

or u can use a dog/cat carrier put food inside, n close it when cat goes in.

cheapest way is musang trap.
user posted image

got a few group in fb where u can post for help.
let me noe, i can send you the contact / details.
The aunty lives near Taman Bahagia LRT there.
I scare the musang trap clamp the cat's tail.

send me the contact see...

SUSRaymondReddington
post Aug 31 2017, 11:17 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

Update.

I spayed my cat. She was fine when back from the vet.

Then 2 days took a turn for the worse, lethargic, puked, diarrhoea, fever and not eating.

Took to vet again and she suspected Parvo /Panleuko something.

Gave me some anti-fever /vomit meds and some prebiotics.

I found it weird for the cat to instantly got sick after spaying.

Googled and suspected the clavamox antibiotic to be the culprit (all symptoms matched). Since I have to feed the cat prebiotics, I stopped the antibiotics (after taken for 3 days). Since it's a precaution and not actively for an infection, I think the antibiotics were overkill and the cat is probably allergic to it. Generally if wound is not infected within 24 hours of surgery, no antibiotics is necessary.

Within 2 days going off the pills, and after diligently feeding with tura cat's milk (and mixing with some thehills food for recovering cats) and also mixing with L-lysine and other immune boosters, my cat is now active again but still can't eat solids. Diarrhoea is slowly going away.

Just a warning to you guys Clavamox can cause allergy in cats. Vomitting, diarrhoea, fever are the symptoms.

TSspunkberry
post Sep 1 2017, 04:23 AM

危ない人です
Group Icon
Elite
1,890 posts

QUOTE(RaymondReddington @ Aug 31 2017, 11:17 PM)
I found it weird for the cat to instantly got sick after spaying.
Glad kitty is getting better, but I just wanted to point out that it's not that strange for a cat to be sick after a spay. I'm pretty sure that at least one of my cats has the herpes virus lying dormant so when she's very stressed out, she falls sick because her immune system gets weaker- sneezing and a runny nose. But based on your cat's symptoms, that's not quite the same thing and I'm glad you got to the vet.
SUSRaymondReddington
post Sep 1 2017, 03:59 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(spunkberry @ Sep 1 2017, 04:23 AM)
Glad kitty is getting better, but I just wanted to point out that it's not that strange for a cat to be sick after a spay. I'm pretty sure that at least one of my cats has the herpes virus lying dormant so when she's very stressed out, she falls sick because her immune system gets weaker- sneezing and a runny nose. But based on your cat's symptoms, that's not quite the same thing and I'm glad you got to the vet.
The vet didn't know/expect the antibiotics was the cause. I had to google online and voluntarily stop it and the vet also agreed later since my cat stopped vomitting after I stopped the antibiotics and vomit medication.
basilisk
post Sep 1 2017, 05:50 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(RaymondReddington @ Sep 1 2017, 03:59 PM)
The vet didn't know/expect the antibiotics was the cause. I had to google online and voluntarily stop it and the vet also agreed later since my cat stopped vomitting after I stopped the antibiotics and vomit medication.
clavamox is very often prescribed to cats by vets, most of the time it doesn't cause any problem.
basilisk
post Sep 1 2017, 05:55 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(Alert_RaZO @ Aug 31 2017, 08:57 PM)
The aunty lives near Taman Bahagia LRT there.
I scare the musang trap clamp the cat's tail.

send me the contact see...
dun worry, even it clamp the cats tail, it is not tight and cat can pull it in.

u have no choice but to trap it.

even better u buy a carrier to trap it, since u can take photo quite close,

u can easily close the carrier when cat go inside to makan, cos hungry.

i pm u the contact.
The Red Giant Warrior
post Sep 1 2017, 06:18 PM

13 posts

Guys, I need help....

I have 2 adorable cats (7 years old and strictly indoor). The thing is, my daughter was born this year and she is 7 months old now.

My wife suddenly changed to overprotective mode (don't allow cats to enter our bedroom our sleep on our bed). She afraid that the cat's furs will do harm to our daughter.

Then there was an incident where her cousin's child got lungs infection due to cat furs. Because of that, my wife wants both cats to be kicked from the house.

Obviously I don't want to be parted with my cats...is there any way to avoid this?

Thinking of building Catio but I don't know the price and where to find shop that do catio.

God seriously now I hate her cousin..with passion. She allowed her infant to play with her cat (cat is indoor/outdoor) before the incident and now causing me a problem.

basilisk
post Sep 1 2017, 07:01 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(The Red Giant Warrior @ Sep 1 2017, 06:18 PM)
Guys, I need help....

I have 2 adorable cats (7 years old and strictly indoor). The thing is, my daughter was born this year and she is 7 months old now.

My wife suddenly changed to overprotective mode (don't allow cats to enter our bedroom our sleep on our bed). She afraid that the cat's furs will do harm to our daughter.  

Then there was an incident where her cousin's child got lungs infection due to cat furs. Because of that, my wife wants both cats to be kicked from the house.

Obviously I don't want to be parted with my cats...is there any way to avoid this?

Thinking of building Catio but I don't know the price and where to find shop that do catio.

God seriously now I hate her cousin..with passion. She allowed her infant to play with her cat (cat is indoor/outdoor) before the incident and now causing me a problem.
7 years indoor you mean? are they neutered?

since they have not been outdoor, they might be tempted to explore a bit, and might get into trouble.

u can still keep them by making a catio if u have enough space, u can diy. or hire a welder or carpenter.

or u can buy a huge cat cage and put them in when u are not at home.

then u can let them out when u are at home under ur supervision, so they wont get into trouble.

huge cat cage with wheels can buy easily, not a problem.

cat sleeps most of the time, so they dont mind being in a cage, they will get used to it.

it is better than to put them up for adoption.

This post has been edited by basilisk: Sep 1 2017, 07:03 PM
SUSRaymondReddington
post Sep 1 2017, 07:27 PM

Getting Started
91 posts

QUOTE(The Red Giant Warrior @ Sep 1 2017, 06:18 PM)
Guys, I need help....

Whatever the hell in the first place gave you the idea to allow your cats into your bedroom and bed?

Even my indoor cats are not allowed to do that. They're trained to stay outdoor and my bed is off limits.

Last thing I want are flea eggs and larvae on my bed, or her paws that has touched her poop while burying with the cat litter tracking around on my bed/pillow.

The fur is the least of my worries. The germs and potential fleas (though they're de-fleaed you never know if they regained them) are more of a problem.

TSspunkberry
post Sep 2 2017, 01:35 AM

危ない人です
Group Icon
Elite
1,890 posts

QUOTE(RaymondReddington @ Sep 1 2017, 07:27 PM)
Whatever the hell in the first place gave you the idea to allow your cats into your bedroom and bed?

Even my indoor cats are not allowed to do that. They're trained to stay outdoor and my bed is off limits.

Last thing I want are flea eggs and larvae on my bed, or her paws that has touched her poop while burying with the cat litter tracking around on my bed/pillow.

The fur is the least of my worries. The germs and potential fleas (though they're de-fleaed you never know if they regained them) are more of a problem.
There's nothing wrong with allowing your cats in the bedroom and the bed. The issue here is the fact that the cousin allowed an infant, that probably doesn't have all of the vaccinations yet, play with an animal that spends some of its time OUTSIDE picking up all sorts of things.

However, in this particular situation, yes keep the cats out of the bedroom until the child is at least fully vaccinated, and obviously CLEAN AND VACUUM MORE OFTEN if that is what the wife is concerned about. I absolutely abhor when people get rid of animals once they have a kid because of bullshit reasons.

This post has been edited by spunkberry: Sep 2 2017, 01:36 AM
myteam94
post Sep 2 2017, 01:48 AM

Casual
400 posts

my cat havent been coming back home for two days and counting

i'm worried if he will ever be coming back...

my cat is an outdoor cat (previously indoor but now living outdoor)
currently live in residential area..so he always roaming around the house
but now he havent came back home
usually he will be back at night or early morning

is there a way/tricks/hacks to find him?

previously when he went out, i found him roaming around neighbours street
do share some method of finding him

137 Pages « < 70 71 72 73 74 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0173sec    0.43    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:29 PM