Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Folding Bicycles v2, Dahon, Tern, Java, Oribike, Bromptons

views

SUSAllnGap
post Sep 2 2013, 08:28 AM

[ Modding with Passion(tm) ]
4,561 posts

QUOTE(X-LaW @ Sep 1 2013, 08:49 PM)
Guys.. I am new, and plan to buy a folding bike..

Around 1k, saw some fold brand reabok at midvalley which only cost less then 1k..

even found so call hummer at internet only rm880? are those real?

Any choice for within 1k? and where can get a cheaper price? i stay in sri petaling
we're a bike shop from Penang, can deliver to KL also.

Anyway, this is the new folding bicycle from JAVA, JAVA TT 7S-D.
20" aluminum folding bicycle, 7Speed shimano tourney, 48T crank, cable disc brakes, adjustable telescopic foldable arm

price is RM 999 only. If interested pls PM

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
budgee
post Sep 2 2013, 10:09 AM

28 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Sep 1 2013, 08:38 PM)
Is Selle Royal Dardo saddle a good replacement for my stock Raleigh Ugo saddle? Or any other advice for saddle that cost less than rm150 ish
I'm using this. Found out that mine is the smooth surface Dardo, very gel like when you press it down with your finger. So its very gentle on the butt. So far so good. I weigh about 68 kg, so it may be a different experience for heavier riders.

I think I saw another type of Dardo with a mesh like surface, so I dunno whether the surface is like mine or not, where it will gently mould its shape around your butt or your finger when you press it down.
biggrin.gif
Halia
post Sep 2 2013, 10:25 AM

49 posts

Need some advice on gears stuff. I have a 16 inch 8 speed (Shimano Sora) but am thinking to upgrade the group set to have more gear option. I have an old 9 speed XTR set but it kind of difficult to use this XTR set due to the 16" and the XTR smaller crank size - am I right? Alternatively I am looking to get road bike gears so I would greatly appreciate any suggestion (not something fancy/performance based). Cheers
etigge
post Sep 2 2013, 10:42 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(Halia @ Sep 2 2013, 10:25 AM)
Need some advice on gears stuff.  I have a 16 inch 8 speed (Shimano Sora) but am thinking to upgrade the group set to have more gear option.  I have an old 9 speed XTR set but it kind of difficult to use this XTR set due to the 16" and the XTR smaller crank size - am I right?  Alternatively I am looking to get road bike gears so I would greatly appreciate any suggestion (not something fancy/performance based).  Cheers
If you are using a 20 inch bike, you probably can use the XTR RD but the cage is too long for a 16 inch wheeler. The XTR crank can be used but you will have to pedal faster (which is more tiring than riding hard) because of the lesser number of cogs on the crank. A 16 inch usually needs a 53 to 55 teeth on the crank but MTB cranks maximum is 44 cogs only. You already have an 8 speed setup, changing to the XTR will only increase another extra speed hmm.gif Or maybe I don't fully understand your question. hmm.gif Are you changing the whole groupset? Or just the crank and RD. What's wrong with the Sora anyway? If they are road bike cogs, changing to MTB cogs will also gives you the same ratio without changing to 9 speed except that you will lose the a high gear ratio. Or if you are using MTB cogs like 11T to 32T (usual for MTB 8 speed) , changing it to 12T to 34T will also gives you a one step advantageous low gear but loose a high gear. There are also 11T to 34T cogs but hard to find and this will make you loose a ration in between the highs and lows. icon_rolleyes.gif
Halia
post Sep 2 2013, 11:35 AM

49 posts

QUOTE(etigge @ Sep 2 2013, 10:42 AM)
If you are using a 20 inch bike, you probably can use the XTR RD but the cage is too long for a 16 inch wheeler. The XTR crank can be used but you will have to pedal faster (which is more tiring than riding hard) because of the lesser number of cogs on the crank. A 16 inch usually needs a 53 to 55 teeth on the crank but MTB cranks maximum is 44 cogs only. You already have an 8 speed setup, changing to the XTR will only increase another extra speed  hmm.gif Or maybe I don't fully understand your question.  hmm.gif  Are you changing the whole groupset? Or just the crank and RD. What's wrong with the Sora anyway? If they are road bike cogs, changing to MTB cogs will also gives you the same ratio without changing to 9 speed except that you will lose the a high gear ratio. Or if you are using MTB cogs like 11T to 32T (usual for MTB 8 speed) , changing it to 12T to 34T will also gives you a one step advantageous low gear but loose a high gear. There are also 11T to 34T cogs but hard to find and this will make you loose a ration in between the highs and lows.  icon_rolleyes.gif
My apology for the uncleared question. To restate, I am looking at to increase current 8 speeds to may be 18-20 speeds. I am considering 2 options; 1) to fit my bike with the old XTR group set; or 2) get a new road bike groupset/upgrade. there are obviously some issues related to XTR option #1. My objective is to have a more energy efficient ride (most efficient way of ride in response to the challenges of the terrain - up, flat or down). I do not have budget for high perfomance gears. many thanks
adriankhoo153
post Sep 2 2013, 12:58 PM

So many star for what?
4,808 posts

QUOTE(budgee @ Sep 2 2013, 10:09 AM)
I'm using this.  Found out that mine is the smooth surface Dardo, very gel like when you press it down with your finger.  So its very gentle on the butt.  So far so good.  I weigh about 68 kg, so it may be a different experience for heavier riders.

I think I saw another type of Dardo with a mesh like surface, so I dunno whether the surface is like mine or not, where it will gently mould its shape around your butt or your finger when you press it down.
biggrin.gif
Bought it but feel not as comfy as my stock Raleigh seat which is larger. But the weight is half the stock one. Lol.
Maybe ride a feel more time to see how it goes.
dannygoh
post Sep 2 2013, 05:55 PM

Casual
404 posts

QUOTE(myak9 @ Sep 1 2013, 09:02 PM)
LOUIS GARNEAU LGS Pop from 950-1050
Dr. Hon VYBE C7S from 950-980
Dahon ECO from 750-850
Raleigh UGO from 750-850
Which is the best for newbie? Where to get it?
d1rTyd6n
post Sep 2 2013, 07:01 PM

Getting Started
89 posts

QUOTE(dannygoh @ Sep 2 2013, 05:55 PM)
Newbie here too. I just got my hands on the Louis Garneau LSG-POP about a month ago. Light ride, smooth shifting, no complains so far. Once you get your hands onto a foldie, you will somehow or rather start putting on "make ups" for your 2-wheeler. Good entry level foldie i would say. rclxms.gif
myak9
post Sep 2 2013, 08:20 PM

4 posts

QUOTE(dannygoh @ Sep 2 2013, 05:55 PM)
its depends on what you want and your budget...
a lot of ppl go for 7-9 gear foldie...
but I go for single speed...

MU UNO...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tch8ZeaDyVw

ohhh...where do you stay...
I am from penang...

d1rTyd6n
post Sep 2 2013, 08:36 PM

Getting Started
89 posts

QUOTE(myak9 @ Sep 2 2013, 08:20 PM)
its depends on what you want and your budget...
a lot of ppl go for 7-9 gear foldie...
but I go for single speed...

MU UNO...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tch8ZeaDyVw

ohhh...where do you stay...
I am from penang...
Nice! I've always wondered how do you break without a physical break? hmm.gif
Robyn
post Sep 2 2013, 08:41 PM

Getting Started
116 posts

ready to go FRIM now tongue.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
etigge
post Sep 2 2013, 09:02 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(Halia @ Sep 2 2013, 11:35 AM)
My apology for the uncleared question.  To restate, I am looking at to increase current 8 speeds to may be 18-20 speeds.  I am considering 2 options; 1) to fit my bike with the old XTR group set; or 2) get a new road bike groupset/upgrade.  there are obviously some issues related to XTR option #1.  My objective is to have a more energy efficient ride (most efficient way of ride in response to the challenges of the terrain - up, flat or down).  I do not have budget for high perfomance gears.  many thanks
Too bad you are using a 16 inch foldie, else if you are riding a 20 inch, thumbup.gif . A foldie with XTR components, wahlao eh! I don't know which bike you are using but I am sure if you install the XTR long cage rear derailleur, the cage will hit the ground. Other than that most components can be used. The cranks though will be a wee too small. So, the shifter can be used but it will be a waste if you have an XTR shifter but other components are different. I also have to know what bike you are using as some folding bikes have 34.9 mm seat tube which can accommodate a front derailleur (largest non braze on FD) and many like Dahons have 40.9mm which will require you to get an adapter which acts as the braze on bracket for the FD.

You can install a 20 speed or a 18 speed groupset onto your foldie. First you have to check the hub if the frewheel is the newer or the old type. The newer ones will acommodate a 10 speed but can only accept 9 speed for the older versions but then again for a 16 inch wheel, 18 speed is more, more than enough for any elevation! tongue.gif The only components needed are the compatible shifter (left and right) , RD, FD with braze on adapter , cassette, compatible chain, crank (preferably 55T/39T) but a normal 53T/39 will do fine. Also the cabling housing and cables. For a folding bike a Sora 9 speed is good enough, couple it with a MTB cassette, it's more than enough. If you have more budget, you can opt for a Tiagra groupset. I think it will be an overkill to use anything higher than that but there are mini velos running on Shimano 105s. The cheapest components that is acceptable is Microshift.

To get a clearer picture, I will post photos of my bike later. icon_rolleyes.gif

P/S also you have to get a wider bottom bracket, at least 118mm and also compatible to the crank choosen.

This post has been edited by etigge: Sep 2 2013, 09:04 PM
mbax
post Sep 2 2013, 09:58 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

yeaat more reason to ride bike to work nowww.. 20cents increased..

2kia, mbax, myak from pg island, gilbert form mainland who else from pg?
Halia
post Sep 2 2013, 10:01 PM

49 posts

Thanks Etigge.
My bike is a Ori Eco 8. It has a 8 speed sora and Alivio shifter. I am not technically savvy. I have been riding MTB (currently XT, was XTR) and a road bike (105 group set) on-and-off for quite a few good years. Road bile comes to pic as with kids, I can no longer off to all those trails and gone for minimum a whole morning in weekend. Road bike is used for night ride on motor bile lane. So I am used to the multi speed and stiff feeling of XT/105. Currently I feel the C8 cranking is a bit 'soft'. BUT You are right as it need not to go overboard and too fancy. as long as the set-up is practical suited for a folding, I will be very happy.
myak9
post Sep 2 2013, 10:02 PM

4 posts

do you guys know who is the 1 selling his Kinetix Comp in bicyclebuysell...

H2D
post Sep 2 2013, 10:19 PM

On my way
598 posts

QUOTE(myak9 @ Sep 2 2013, 10:02 PM)
the one who says he changed to kinetic pro lor...? or other wheel set...
search la ... i saw it earlier.... biggrin.gif
etigge
post Sep 2 2013, 10:27 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

Wah! sudah rugi liao. The other day Rodalink's sale. Front is RM212 and back is RM416. Total less 20 percent is RM502 but both shodded with Schwalbe Big Apple. If you sell the tires for RM120, that's RM382 only for the pair of rims. But you can still get them at all Rodalinks outlet for RM628.
etigge
post Sep 2 2013, 10:38 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(Halia @ Sep 2 2013, 10:01 PM)
Thanks Etigge.
My bike is a Ori Eco 8.  It has a 8 speed sora and Alivio shifter.  I am not technically savvy.  I have been riding MTB (currently XT, was XTR) and a road bike (105 group set) on-and-off for quite a few good years.  Road bile comes to pic as with kids, I can no longer off to all those trails and gone for minimum a whole morning in weekend.  Road bike is used for night ride on motor bile lane.  So I am used to the multi speed and stiff feeling of XT/105.  Currently I feel the C8 cranking is a bit 'soft'. BUT You are right as it need not to go overboard and too fancy.  as long as the set-up is practical suited for a folding, I will be very happy.
If the cranking feels soft to you, it means that you need really big cranks, like 60T or 58T. It can be found but I am not sure how to get them. Either that or get a larger wheel folding bike. The smaller the wheel, the easier it is to crank but at the expense of distance covered.
etigge
post Sep 2 2013, 10:41 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

I think he is looking for the rims and not selling! tongue.gif
myak9
post Sep 2 2013, 10:50 PM

4 posts

guys...

would you guys buy...

8 speed 20" cromo foldie at 2k or...
3 speed 16" alu limited edition foldie at 2k...

144 Pages « < 24 25 26 27 28 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0453sec    0.13    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:04 AM