-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Merdeka Social Ride organised by Sam Cheong: http://malaysianfoldies.rocks.it/

Date: 31st August 2013
Time: 7:30 am
Place: Meet at Monument Alaf Baru

Ride: 19 km loop around Putrajaya, about 2 hours to finish the course
Catered group: Beginners (slow riding )
Park where: Area near Monument Alaf Baru

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post has been edited by budgee: Aug 27 2013, 09:25 PM
budgee
post Aug 18 2013, 10:33 PM

28 posts

This morning's ride: Doppelganger, among others... smile.gif

user posted image

budgee
post Aug 18 2013, 10:43 PM

28 posts

that red bike is a doppel, belongs to theotheryun. Where are you? Theotheryun? modified kao kao with hydraulic brake sum more..
budgee
post Aug 18 2013, 10:45 PM

28 posts

like the foldable MTB too! as well as javafit, did not know such value for money bikes also got...
budgee
post Aug 19 2013, 09:36 AM

28 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 19 2013, 09:29 AM)
The bike there are awesome. Take very little effort for them on hill climbing and pedaling. I can see the different between a powerhorse and a entry level folding bike. The normal cruising speed is about 25kmh.  drool.gif
My passion towards a foldie is burning high. Lusting for more power.  brows.gif

Hmm, am thinking of Tern P9 perhaps?  icon_rolleyes.gif
Ya, my cruising speed is from 22 to 28 km/hour.... on well rested legs.. heh heh..
budgee
post Aug 19 2013, 09:39 AM

28 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 19 2013, 09:39 AM)
U r on Tern P9?
almost similar, but with more gears ... Tern verge p18
budgee
post Aug 19 2013, 09:40 AM

28 posts

When we see other bikes better than ours, we just admire lah. But no one can claim his bike to be the best, as there will always be someone with a better bike or perceived higher value bike. The key word is perception.
If you think your bike is good, it is good.

We do what we can with our limited money, lah. If you can afford it, go for it. But not at the expense of our daily necessities or future needs like life savings, children's education, medical expenses.

Have you seen the type of bikes that most Dutch people ride? It is mostly functional, it just gets you from A to B. Their bike carriers can be made of discarded wooden boxes. Not glamourous, high specs or what.
Their bikes are Practical! Which means their bikes are saving them money for other uses, instead of them spending more money on their bikes.... heh heh.

And this makes sense to me. I have two bikes. One is Tern - that one for weekend rides and occasionally ride from PJ to KL to work. The other one I use amost daily - an old bike (24 inch steel and very rusty bike) to the LRT station, lock and park it there for free. My car is parked at friend's house for minimum charge, still got to pay lah.
Ride about 2 km to LRT. So I save parking of RM3 and save some petrol going to the LRT worth about RM1. I get some exercise too and for that I put a value of about RM0.50 (instead of going to the Gym which costs me RM3 a day, whether I use the gym or not)

Daily savings of RM4.50 is RM22.50 a week. And as it comes to RM90 a month can pay for my phone bill already..

So what do I think of my 24" run down bike and with almost all the spokes are rusty? To me it is a tool that is PUTTING money in my pocket.

What do other people think of my bike? It is run down and needs to be put in the scrap yard.

Nevermind what other people think lah, then .. what you think is more important, right?

budgee
post Aug 19 2013, 09:53 AM

28 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 19 2013, 09:41 AM)
Wow, expensive bike!  thumbup.gif
Btw, where go u get your bike from?
Any place selling better price for Tern other than Rodalink or Vans Urban?
Bought from rodalink at about RM3.4 K, Got a 10% discount.

Vans Urban sometimes can give very good discount for some of their display demo bikes.

Once, they had a speedy Tern Verge X10 which is list price at RM5.4 K was about RM4.4K, I think.

Keep a look out on their Facebook page, sometimes really good offers. I got a RM80 tern carry on bag, at 50% discount ! Aiya, should have bought one more, lah.
budgee
post Aug 19 2013, 02:57 PM

28 posts

QUOTE(gilbertlhl @ Aug 19 2013, 02:44 PM)
I think before change to new bike try change tire first, see can it fulfill ur need...
Definitely will make a difference.

The tires should be the skinny slick type, pump it up hard 70 to 80 psi. Acceleration also faster because these tires are lighter.

see the racing bikes and what tires they use... ultremo, durano
budgee
post Aug 20 2013, 11:54 AM

28 posts

What is your average foldable cruising speed on a level road?

For road bikes, it is normally above 30 km/hr, i think..
budgee
post Aug 20 2013, 02:14 PM

28 posts

For cruising average speed, that would mean you are not getting out of breath with each round of pedaling.

My average on Tern P18 is about 22 km/h I think. I have to do some more testing. If you can sustain the average max speed and at the same time, you can carry on a conversation with a friend without sounding out of breath, then you can be cruising along for quite a long time.

Perhaps the Putrajaya roads would be a good area to test this average speed, elsewhere in PJ and KL, there are too many traffic lights and slopes to climb to be be cycling at a constant speed.

budgee
post Aug 20 2013, 10:56 PM

28 posts

QUOTE(kkm @ Aug 20 2013, 10:41 PM)
I'm looking for my first foldie too, been to a few shops to check things out. There was this place where the taikors here say the owner is so friendly. He was, but only to his friends who were chatting with him there. I came in the rain, stood there for 10 minutes, and they totally ignored me. Didn't even glance at me, and their closed conversation didn't give me any chance.

Never going back there again...
Are you talking about the one in BU? They are probably very engrossed in their conversation to notice much else. There are mostly big boys who want to pass the time and talk more than anything else.

Just go up to the boss and say: Hi ! I am looking for a foldable bike, and he'll show you what's available.

Once I asked for a model that he did not have and he right away called up the main distributor to check...

budgee
post Aug 20 2013, 11:00 PM

28 posts

QUOTE(Robyn @ Aug 20 2013, 10:57 PM)
guyz, is that possible to change the handle bar to drop down type ?
It depends on your quick release lock. Can it like totally open up? I know the Verge P18 cannot because the QR mechanism does not allow you to open up. It just allows enough room for the handlebar to twist, so if I wanted a drop bar, it won't be able to mount.
budgee
post Aug 20 2013, 11:13 PM

28 posts

QUOTE(Robyn @ Aug 20 2013, 11:08 PM)
are you guys referring this ?? it cant take up, it jz allow u to adjust up down only  hmm.gif
No this one. The one that is on top, holding your straight handlebars. If you want to take out the handlebars and put in the drop down bars, can the QR be opened up to put the drop down bars. If not, then you might want to check if you can slowly slide the drop down bars from one end to the middle section.
budgee
post Aug 20 2013, 11:42 PM

28 posts

QUOTE(H2D @ Aug 20 2013, 11:15 PM)
use this adapter... i think can mod...

user posted image
I am looking for this lah! Any one knows of a local shop which sells these? So I can test them as well before buying.

In taobao, the chinese characters are foreign to me... sad.gif
budgee
post Aug 21 2013, 10:58 AM

28 posts

QUOTE(earl-ku @ Aug 21 2013, 10:35 AM)
Anyone interested in cycling around Putrajaya this Saturday? An evening ride which will likely last till early night ...

Last done with etigge was bout less than 20km circle around the lake ..
thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

Good training for all cyclists. This is not limited to foldable bikes only. Roadies also can.

Even a disabled cyclist is trying to pedal over 1,000 km! What is 10 to 15km bike ride around a scenic lake side?

=> http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2013...bionic-leg.aspx

Anyone keen? Got two already !

budgee
post Aug 21 2013, 12:11 PM

28 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 21 2013, 11:49 AM)
Any kaki wanna go light leisure off road at FRIM tomorrow? Time about 10.30am.
You must be big taukeh - your own business. Suka suka go weekday!
budgee
post Aug 21 2013, 11:18 PM

28 posts

QUOTE(Robyn @ Aug 21 2013, 10:35 PM)
Sent by to pedalsport to tighten bk.. Now ok ... Was because the spoke losen..... So I wondering is that normal spoke will lose ?
These things do happen. As long its fixed, then ok.
It is not normal for the spoke to loosen by itself. Could be that when you bought it, the spoke was already slightly loose. You can do a check yourself on all the spokes on whether any is loose or not.

Just use your fingers to try and move the spokes to see if any are loose. The spokes should not be moving sideways.

If they are, you can ask the Bike shop to tighten. If you do not know how to do it and tighten it yourself, the rim may go out of true.

But truing a wheel can be learnt, just need to get the right tools to do it.

To true a wheel, see =>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a25vC5zsf6A
budgee
post Aug 23 2013, 10:41 AM

28 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 23 2013, 08:23 AM)
Just to share picture on light off road I done at FRIM yesterday after changing my tyre to Schwalbe Big Apple at Jonny's place. Damn, I love the Big Apple. Should have buy it earlier. Poor man suspension indeed. Really comfortable and for the good news, I thought it will be heavier than my Kenda 20x1.75 but supprisinly it's lighter.  rclxms.gif

Also got the chance to meet Foldie taikor/sifu at Jonny's place. Etigge was there too.  brows.gif

Going thru bump and hump will never be the same again.  icon_rolleyes.gif
Woo, nice... makes me wanna to go to FRIM again on a beautiful Sunday morning ride!!

budgee
post Aug 23 2013, 12:12 PM

28 posts

QUOTE(Robyn @ Aug 23 2013, 11:17 AM)
but "budgee" ur kojak 20x1.35 can handle FRIM road condition ? hehehe
Not gonna use Kojaks / kinetix pro of course!

Just switch to Big apples / kinetix comp wheelset and its good to go... off trail is very nice !!
especially when you reach the water falls area ..

9 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0545sec    1.57    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 1st June 2020 - 05:33 PM