18 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Folding Bicycles v2, Dahon, Tern, Java, Oribike, Bromptons

views

etigge
post Aug 19 2013, 09:07 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 19 2013, 07:58 AM)
Pindah to new thread. Woot

Have a ride with group of foldie that came to Setia Alam for joining Half Marathon New Balance route. 21km in total. Damn, lots of them riding poisonous bike! There is two Mouton to start with. Pauline Lee who are the organizer with her touring Moulton which she get it from Melbourne. She even have a Brompton. Then there is a guy from Kota Kemuning also with his shiny chrome Moulton!

Then there is a few Bike Friday. The highlight is a custom made Wheelsport foldie. The rider are actually a Taiwanese couple and the guy is the designer for Wheelsport! Some say he own Wheelsport too.

Another white bike looks like Airnimal foldie. There is also Vanesnesa and Brian from Vans Urban riding a Tern P9 and Link C7.

What an event! Just when I thought it is just a normal foldie event and turned up to be such a glamorous folding bike. There I am with my humble Raleigh Ugo. Very malu lah. Hahaha

[attachmentid=3588824]
This is the Moulton TSR  thumbup.gif

[attachmentid=3588825]
Very nice event..  icon_rolleyes.gif
We just ride with what we can afford. Most important is to have fun and also sweat out a bit at the same time. After so long I still ride my humble Dahon Eco C7 and so does my wife. It's fine with me, even from Kuala Kubu Bahru to Fraser's Hill and a friend of mine rides the Kalaq tongue.gif also can reach Fraser's Hill. It's the engine that's important. icon_rolleyes.gif

Feeling inferior seeing others in expensive bikes is usual but feeling proud and arrogant seeing others in cheaper bikes is also usual. But feeling dissapointed when failing to catch up with the inferior bikes is even more pronounced! Hahahaha. tongue.gif
etigge
post Aug 19 2013, 09:08 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

?

This post has been edited by etigge: Aug 19 2013, 09:09 AM
etigge
post Aug 19 2013, 10:51 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 19 2013, 09:29 AM)
The bike there are awesome. Take very little effort for them on hill climbing and pedaling. I can see the different between a powerhorse and a entry level folding bike. The normal cruising speed is about 25kmh.  drool.gif
My passion towards a foldie is burning high. Lusting for more power.  brows.gif

Hmm, am thinking of Tern P9 perhaps?  icon_rolleyes.gif
Tern P9 is a good choice. thumbup.gif Speed is about your stamina and also how hard can you pedal. Also your bike's weight is crucial too. If you want speed in your folding bike, Dahon Dash is good and if you can still find the Hammerhead which is sub 10 kg, you found gold! thumbup.gif The Kinetix Pro rims is a standard feature of the Hammerhead.

user posted image

When I was coming down from Genting Peras, at the kampong flats, me and wife also can do 25km/h to 27 km/h average and so did a few more on the Dahon MU P8, KHS F20 even the Kalaq, in addition to mine and wife's Dahon Eco C7. But the point is we know it's only another 10 km run till the coffee shop, but can we go further??? It's endurance also. How long can we last pedalling at high gear? We also need to pace ourselves, know the route well or find out about the route.

Reminds me of a story my friend told me. There was this jamboree trip and there was a thousand riders. As with Jamboree riders, MOST don't know the route and were never well prepared. So the ride started and my friend who knew the route well was starting slowly and his riding companion ask him to hurry. He said, " No worries, with the pace they started off, most won't finish". And he was right, only a small group lasted till the end. Just like the Penang round island ride, half way, most of them were on the municipal lorries. tongue.gif Still the best is riding constantly and increasing your speed as you get used to it. A good training is Putrajaya. In the beginning, I started with using the whole range of the 7 speed. Eco C7 is a 7 speed bike. Then after a few rides, i never used the largest 2 cog. Now, I don't shift at all, maintaining at 52T X 13T, eventhough I have 27 speed. It's never about the bike, it all your own's capability.

I will give a good tip for those who are not really into upgrades. Upgrading a front crank is expensive, we all know it. What you can do is , change the front crank to double, like 50/39 or better still 50/36, very ideal compromise. (can get second hand ones in BBS) Other than that, nothing else. If you ride mainly on flats, use the bigger crank and if on trips to Genting Sempah, Genting Peras or Fraser's Hill, manually shift the chain to the lower ring and used that for the whole trip.

Last week another rider kaki of mine bought a KHS F20. It was actually an 8 speeder but the shop has added a double crank to the bike making it 16 speed. He got it for 1.5K from GW cycle (give and take a little, depending on how good your bargaining power is tongue.gif ). It's light, much lighter than my Eco C7 and it's fast too. I hear there's another importer for KHS somewhere in Klang and some say it's cheaper than FB Bikes and GW. Check it out.

user posted image
etigge
post Aug 19 2013, 11:58 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(2kia @ Aug 19 2013, 04:05 PM)
samosaurus, do u happen to know anything bout flexible stem on dahon boardwalk d7?

i have one n the stem is adjustable n while it was stiff at first, it's become way to flexy to ride confidently atm

is it a design problem or a qc issue?
Following up Samo's explanation, the newer Dahon's handlepost do get loose after a while.

user posted image

I would suggest sending back to the bike shop but it's actually quite simple to readjust.

(01) Loosen A. After this, the handle post is free to turn!
(02) Tighten B. This needs an extra large size allen key. Tighten just until the handle post is free to turn but don't
overtighten. The handlepost should be resistant free when turning.
(03) Once satisfied, realign the handlebar. Then tighten back A.

Check if the handlepost still wobbles. If it does, then it is nut C. I have a right size spanner (8 mm) in my saddle bag because my wife's Dahon handlepost gets loose after a few rides. This is the newer version handlepost. My older type don't have this problem.

If it still wobbles, check your locking mechanism. Is it easy and loose to lock? If should be a bit tight to lock and if it is quite loose, this is the culprit! Use a spanner (8 mm) to adjust the nut C a turn clockwise towards the nylon bush. Now try locking the handlepost again. It should be tighter and if the handlepost still wobbles but better then tighten another turn.

If both don't work, then you better send to a bike shop. tongue.gif But before that tighten the quick release on the handlepost extender and see if it is loose.
etigge
post Aug 20 2013, 08:36 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(2kia @ Aug 20 2013, 12:43 AM)
user posted image
this is my adjustable handle post with QR level

it could turn right n left slightly even though the wheel isn't turning

i could really tighten the level to prevent it from turning at all, but i'm worried bout the wear n tear at the bottom of the post

this pic below is snapped when i took out the entire post

user posted image
Just tighten the QR until it doesn't move. It tend s to move a bit after much usaga and makes the handlebar alignment go off. Another rider can't get the handlebar lower and he has to cut off an inch off even.
etigge
post Aug 20 2013, 08:40 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 20 2013, 08:28 AM)
How do u guy wash your bike when it's very dirty like kena mud etc? Can jes use sprinkle hose and spray it on the bike all over or kena lap lap? I mean u spray the water onto the gear, chain etc got any problem ah?
I use a hose and hose off any mud, sand or muck that can be hosed off. Then I use a damp cloth and wipe the bike. I might take off the 2 wheels if I want to clean it more thoroughly. Once in a while I take off the chain and cassette and wash with diesel (quickly) and then hose it with water and dry it. Clean the cranks and put back the chain and relube everything, the chain, RD and FD. Also the pivot joints around the V-brakes. nod.gif
etigge
post Aug 20 2013, 09:43 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(samosaurus @ Aug 20 2013, 09:29 AM)

user posted image

I've been using my Dahon Speed P8 for five years, and the clamp tension on the handlebar's telescopic stem is something I check from time-to-time..

Sam
Mr. Sam, Where did you get the foldable bike stand? Riding foldable bikes also means trying to get everything foldable! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by etigge: Aug 20 2013, 09:44 AM
etigge
post Aug 20 2013, 07:40 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(samosaurus @ Aug 20 2013, 05:05 PM)
user posted image

The HASA minimax is a decent choice.. Better than Java in many ways.. hahahah!!!!

Sam
Our friend in this picture sold off both the Hasa. Last I know the red one is sold but the green one unsure. Check here if anyone interested.

http://www.bicyclebuysell.com/view_item.php?id=179695
etigge
post Aug 20 2013, 07:44 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

There's a price war among the dealers. Therefore, when you call, they give you a price that is allowed by the wholesalers. If you go directly and negotiate, the price might be lower! smile.gif That or, they give you some freebies and the wholesalers can't complain like what Van's is doing with Terns. So, if you are really keen, visit the shops.

Afterall, other than the bike, you still need helmet, front and rear lights, gloves, bottle cage etc. icon_rolleyes.gif
etigge
post Aug 20 2013, 11:43 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(kkm @ Aug 20 2013, 10:41 PM)
I'm looking for my first foldie too, been to a few shops to check things out. There was this place where the taikors here say the owner is so friendly. He was, but only to his friends who were chatting with him there. I came in the rain, stood there for 10 minutes, and they totally ignored me. Didn't even glance at me, and their closed conversation didn't give me any chance.

Never going back there again...
I think I saw you. Are you in glasses and darkish standing behind the boxes. If it was, you didn't walk into the shop at all. Give the place another chance. You didn't sound a word.
etigge
post Aug 21 2013, 02:14 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(budgee @ Aug 20 2013, 11:42 PM)
I am looking for this lah!  Any one knows of a local shop which sells these?  So I can test them as well before buying.

In taobao, the chinese characters are foreign to me...  sad.gif
GW Cycle stocks them. Not Litepro as in the pictures but have something similar. You can check it out. But don't expect Taobao price though, far from it!! biggrin.gif
etigge
post Aug 21 2013, 02:43 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(gilbertlhl @ Aug 20 2013, 11:22 PM)
I think who u join for cycling is very important... if u can found ppl like Sam and also some TaiKo in this forum then u will enjoy cycling n cycling...
A few of my regular riding kakis are actually from this forum. It started from their research on what to buy then progress to me taking them for a beginners ride and then to Genting Peras and any other rides that comes along later. Also we will bridge together riders from elsewhere into a group. Trying to get more into a group as many can't accomodate the same date and when that happens, at least we have a small number and we can ride. So, there's a ride everyweek.

I feel many riders just gets intimidated by long rides. Frankly, I am not a fast rider, just that if I ride, I got the whole day to ride. I don't rush! Also, I can turn back anytime if any rider decides to give up, or if the route is hard, the weaker rider can take a rest and then head back first. There's no busted ego here as every rider has to start from somewhere. I mean, let's face it! I am over 50 years of age, and those I took along are in their mid 20s, given time, after they train up, they might have to sweep me and my wife in the future.

Just like the KKB-Fraser's Hill route. I ride there every week if I can. First we do KKB to Chilling which is just 12.5 km and 25 km return. One can do that in 2 hours or 3 the most. Later, we do Chilling to GAP. Get used to riding in undulating terrain and then we can do Chilling to Fraser's Hill and one day, finally we do the full route. After that, you will be mentally strong enough to tackle any route. That route sound intimidating but it is actually easy, one just need to get used to it. Of the 4 routes I ride, Genting Sempah, Genting Peras , Putrajaya and KKB-Fraser's, the latter is still the best! thumbup.gif Cooling, there's ups and there downhill ride, less traffic, clean air and SAFE! We just need the number of riders.

Rather than serious riding, we joke, banter, eat, ride, laugh, help with each other and we sweat it out, workout. Nothing else is important. icon_rolleyes.gif
etigge
post Aug 21 2013, 09:17 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 21 2013, 09:11 AM)
I was looking for an upgraded bike and Tern C7 looks like a good upgrade from Raleigh Ugo. But I was told by the shop that if I were to upgrade, Tern C7 are the same. Even Tern D8 too.

Is this true? He said I wont feel any significant improvement over the bike. Hence intro me Tern P9 or Java Fit.
If you look carefully, Tern D8 has better handle post and also better locking flaps than the Link C7. D8 is also shodded with Schwalbe tires while the C7 is not. D8 has 8 speed, that off course is easy to spot. Only thing is D8 needs an adapter RD hanger if you want to use Shimano or SRAM RD.
etigge
post Aug 21 2013, 04:22 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 21 2013, 10:05 AM)
There is a constant thud thud thud sound each time I pedal. Not sure where it come from. If not pedaling but bike is rolling, there is no such sound. Hence it could be crankset or gear etc? Anyone can help me on this issue?
Could be one of the few reasons.

(01) The cassette is not tighten. This you need a cassette opener. Have to take it out, grease the hub a bit and then tighten.

(02) The gears are not adjusted properly.

(03) Since you said there's no sound when rolling, the biggest suspect is the crank arm is not tighten properly. Use an allen key (quite large) to really tighten the crank arm bolt.

user posted image
etigge
post Aug 21 2013, 04:24 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(Robyn @ Aug 21 2013, 01:38 PM)
@jasperchai - added you into our "whatsapp" lowyat cycling.

Whoever interested can PM me.
Any one is is having Wed Putra Jaya session ?
I will be there at 5.30pm later. Just take 2 rounds around the island. Maybe we will meet.
etigge
post Aug 21 2013, 09:20 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(calmepz @ Aug 21 2013, 08:55 PM)
Hi everyone!

I saw a westwood foldie used for touring on fb one day and it made me fell in love with foldie immediately!

I cycle from time to time on my dad and brother's old bikes but know nothing about bicycles other than pumping air into tyres and putting back loose chain.. So as you can see I'm a total newbie in bicycles..

I'm interested in getting a foldie.. Any recommendation?
I plan to use it for going to class during weekdays and maybe short outings during weekends.. Possibly touring too after I've had more training on the wheels..
My budget is ~1k..

Interested in dahon speed p8 but it's unfortunately well over my budget.. sad.gif
I suggest you visit a few bike shops around your place. Check it out first. I will usually suggest brands like Dahons and Terns but many will go for others because other brands gives better specs for the same price as the brand mentioned. So, better if you visit and set up the height adjustments and check it out. Sadly as with many other products, quality goes higher in tandem with prices. So, choice is totally up to you.
etigge
post Aug 22 2013, 06:27 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

For those who are interested in riding Putrajaya this Saturday as per organized by Earlku, here's the map to the meeting point.

Car park at Monumen Alaf Baru. 6.00pm.

user posted image
etigge
post Aug 23 2013, 08:22 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(mbax @ Aug 23 2013, 01:41 AM)
user posted image
is it this hasa and that hasa the same? forgot alrd where i see the samepicture being post..
It's the same person. If you like Hasa, the price RM1300 is actually quite OK given at that time when the father and son bought was about RM2.6K each. I don't know why they are selling but my guess is they changed to road bikes.
etigge
post Aug 23 2013, 11:58 AM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(gilbertlhl @ Aug 23 2013, 11:56 AM)
After change tire now become superbike d.. Really poison. also wan to get it, don't know in Penang where can get?

Yesterday go bicycle shop ask about tire also. they only have Kenda Kwest only.
Can ask Chin Aik to order for you. Maybe he have stock also.
etigge
post Aug 27 2013, 04:25 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(adriankhoo153 @ Aug 27 2013, 04:15 PM)
How much does Dahon Speed 8 second hand unit might cost? I mean reasonable price for second hand unit. Old unit model 2011
If you can find one hmm.gif The old Dahon Speed P8 are sold at over 2K formerly and the newer ones can be had for 1.8K. So how much do you think an old one is worthy? I mean the old ones has better components compared to the new ones, so if the owner wants to sell his for 1.5K, will you buy OR if you offer 1.2K, will he sell? The old Dahons are almost a collector bikes now! Especially the Dahon Dash and Speeds.

This post has been edited by etigge: Aug 27 2013, 04:25 PM

18 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0512sec    0.25    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:48 PM