Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

167 Pages « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Photography Sony RX100, New standard for compact camera ?

views

sniper on the roof
post Jul 26 2012, 05:26 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,414 posts

QUOTE(zstan @ Jul 26 2012, 05:24 PM)
Dayum the camera is reaaaally small and light. F1.8 ftw!
drillz mana?
zstan
post Jul 26 2012, 07:55 PM

10k Club
All Stars
15,671 posts

QUOTE(sniper on the roof @ Jul 26 2012, 05:26 PM)
drillz mana?
post 1 first

user posted image
Sony RX100 by zstan, on Flickr
zstan
post Jul 26 2012, 10:51 PM

10k Club
All Stars
15,671 posts

more & bigger res photos at my flickr

Thanks to Sony Malaysia I was invited to the Sony RX100's launching at Ecoba Bar at Damansara Perdana. When this camera was announced last month it made huge waves in the photography world by possessing the largest sensor in camera which can fit into your jeans pocket, paired along with a great Zeiss lens with T* coating. I won't go into detail about the camera's specs as usual as there are many other websites out there doing much better reviews than me.

Some product shots:

user posted image
Lens when fully extended

Generally I am really impressed with this camera. It's amazing how much detail the sensor can capture. Since it has a bigger sensor, it easier to get bokeh (out of focused areas), and by bokeh i mean really good bokeh, unlike the crap bokeh from my Sony TX10. The high ISO performance is also stunning. Autofocus performance seems pretty decent for a compact, even in low light conditions. I also love a new fancy feature called 'Drop Sensor'. Basically if you activate it, the camera will automatically retract the lens once it detects the camera falling to the ground. Very cool feature which may save the lens one day.

Alright enough talk, I will let the pictures do it instead. Another thank you to Sony for providing 2 lovely models and some props for us to take photos of!

user posted image

user posted image
Cute model =P ISO1600. The details on her face is still retained very well!

user posted image
This was shot f1.8! Wide open! Still very acceptable sharpness!

High ISO test. Not very standardised so please take it with a grain of salt.

user posted image

user posted image
ISO6400 f1.8. Still looking good!

And time to test the bokeh!

user posted image

And last but not least, testing the creative styles! For the RX100 they have added two new features: water painting and illuminate.

user posted image
water painting

user posted image
Illustration!!

user posted image
I really love this new creative style! It actually works!! Picture of the drinks

The only real setback for this camera is the price which retails at RM2499 D: Street prices may drop to about 2.2k though. Those who can afford it will certainly enjoy this tiny little camera very much! Also, manual focusing with this camera seems a bit challenging. Or maybe I am doing it wrongly? :/ I didn't really have much time to go through and dig out the faults of this camera but generally you won't regret getting this tiny little gem! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by zstan: Jul 26 2012, 11:33 PM
merajey
post Jul 26 2012, 11:34 PM

Casual
449 posts

QUOTE(zstan @ Jul 26 2012, 10:51 PM)
The only real setback for this camera is the price which retails at RM2499 D: Street prices may drop to about 2.2k though. Those who can afford it will certainly enjoy this tiny little camera very much! Also, manual focusing with this camera seems a bit challenging. Or maybe I am doing it wrongly? :/ I didn't really have much time to go through and dig out the faults of this camera but generally you won't regret getting this tiny little gem! biggrin.gif
whoah..really a pricey for that kind of camera...I better opt for ILC than having this compact with steroid!!
wingster
post Jul 27 2012, 12:59 AM

mr.Uiinshiida.
1,418 posts

Seriously after testing this camera it has great NEX-7 interface, decent IQ and good AF but the price of RM2499 is quite too much than I expected ... at Taiwan SRP ($21980 = MYR 2311) sold slightly cheaper than here T.T
sniper on the roof
post Jul 27 2012, 01:10 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,414 posts

QUOTE(wingster @ Jul 27 2012, 12:59 AM)
Seriously after testing this camera it has great NEX-7 interface, decent IQ and good AF but the price of RM2499 is quite too much than I expected ... at Taiwan SRP ($21980 = MYR 2311) sold slightly cheaper than here T.T
My nearby camera shop (taipei) sells japan import RX100 for NTD17,700. Lagi cheaper.

zstan: those water color stuff are hideous la.
jloi
post Jul 27 2012, 02:15 AM

SHIN-EVOLTO
3,989 posts

Here some my photo from RX100

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Pretty good camera but pricey sweat.gif

This post has been edited by jloi: Jul 27 2012, 02:16 AM
gregy
post Jul 27 2012, 03:07 AM

Casual
411 posts

The camera sounds promising but somehow I found the IQ still very much in compact camera territory. Yea I was there at the launch too. The macarons were quite tempting lol...

With so many choices abound, and a stiff RM2,499 price tag, this new pocket wonder will be quite a hard sell.

ISO 400, 1/60s @f/4, 26mm focal length
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/gr...2/RX_100001.jpg
aquos
post Jul 27 2012, 05:25 AM

Getting Started
215 posts

Steve Huff really really really...........like this camera smile.gif

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/07/26/t...-actually-ever/

"I will keep this simple. The Sony RX100 is the best compact camera to ever be released in the digital world. Ever. Period. End of story. Will to be the best for long? Who knows but I do know it is not a camera that will hold you back from taking any kind of photos you want. If you have the passion, the creativity and drive you can make amazing photos with the RX100. I highly recommend it. I bought it smile.gif -"
jloi
post Jul 27 2012, 07:05 AM

SHIN-EVOLTO
3,989 posts

But somehow i felt the control button not as user friendly as other brand sweat.gif or maybe i could wrong...If only Sony let me spend more time on the camera last night
post Jul 27 2012, 08:54 AM

Regular
1,445 posts

yup camera looks nice but still it is Sony to me.... need to wait till the mass got the camera and more review come out first then only decide.

Got feeling next year compact will all come with big sensor. Especially something from canon. G1x already fitted with big sensor but then come a EOS-M which fit a even bigger sensor into a body. So now i am looking forward on what is the G2x and S105 gonna look like. Bigger sensor + faster lens.
idoblu
post Jul 27 2012, 09:11 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

when will it be available in Malaysia?
jloi
post Jul 27 2012, 10:56 AM

SHIN-EVOLTO
3,989 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Jul 27 2012, 09:11 AM)
when will it be available in Malaysia?
early august..next week probably
Euthenics
post Jul 27 2012, 11:21 AM

Getting Started
220 posts

The manual control is a bit fiddling. But the price is the main setback. RM2499 is too steep for a point & shoot compact camera even though it's geared more toward the high end line.

Add a few more hundred, one can get the Canon EOS-M in a couple of month time. However, it's great to see Sony coming out good stuff in this category.
sniper on the roof
post Jul 27 2012, 11:31 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,414 posts

QUOTE(Euthenics @ Jul 27 2012, 11:21 AM)
The manual control is a bit fiddling. But the price is the main setback. RM2499 is too steep for a point & shoot compact camera even though it's geared more toward the high end line.

Add a few more hundred, one can get the Canon EOS-M in a couple of month time. However, it's great to see Sony coming out good stuff in this category.
Depends on how you look at it... its ludicrous expensive "for a compact camera" but Nikon 1 is also about this price, Fuji X10 is also about this price and the RX100 equals or beats both of them in image quality and performance + it fits into pocket.

Joseph Hahn
post Jul 27 2012, 12:07 PM

kpop k
6,410 posts

I wonder what the street price will be. Or rather lowyat forum price. Maybe can get around 2K? Very tempting since my X10 is not really what you call compact. Attracted to the video capability as well.
idoblu
post Jul 27 2012, 12:39 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(Euthenics @ Jul 27 2012, 11:21 AM)

no need to wait for EOS-M or add a few hundreds, you can buy a Nex now today tongue.gif

Added on July 27, 2012, 12:41 pm
QUOTE(Joseph Hahn @ Jul 27 2012, 12:07 PM)
I wonder what the street price will be. Or rather lowyat forum price. Maybe can get around 2K? Very tempting since my X10 is not really what you call compact. Attracted to the video capability as well.
Sony Malaysia follows SG price? SG listed at S$999 and they have GST and we dont. How come our pricing is so high? Should be less GST
US selling around RM2080, even add postage also only RM2240 but no local warranty

Hopefully street price will be a couple of hundred ringgit less

This post has been edited by idoblu: Jul 27 2012, 12:42 PM
zstan
post Jul 27 2012, 12:48 PM

10k Club
All Stars
15,671 posts

QUOTE(gregy @ Jul 27 2012, 03:07 AM)
The camera sounds promising but somehow I found the IQ still very much in compact camera territory. Yea I was there at the launch too. The macarons were quite tempting lol...

With so many choices abound, and a stiff RM2,499 price tag, this new pocket wonder will be quite a hard sell.

ISO 400, 1/60s @f/4, 26mm focal length
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w156/gr...2/RX_100001.jpg
What IQ are you comparing with? This certainly can't be better than a full frame DSLR with a 5k glass attached to it but for compact standards it's one of the best already.

QUOTE(0300078 @ Jul 27 2012, 08:54 AM)
yup camera looks nice but still it is Sony to me.... need to wait till the mass got the camera and more review come out first then only decide.

Seriously? People still has that 'because it's a Sony' mindset? Hahahaa okay bro. No comment.

QUOTE(idoblu @ Jul 27 2012, 12:39 PM)
no need to wait for EOS-M or add a few hundreds, you can buy a Nex now today tongue.gif

Added on July 27, 2012, 12:41 pm
Sony Malaysia follows SG price? SG listed at S$999 and they have GST and we dont. How come our pricing is so high? Should be less GST
US selling around RM2080, even add postage also only RM2240 but no local warranty

Hopefully street price will be a couple of hundred ringgit less
Seems like they are following euro pricing because USA Selling at $650.

I would love the rx100 to have touch screen though. It's a bit tedious to select AF points.
enviro
post Jul 27 2012, 05:51 PM

Casual
486 posts

For those of you who are trying to decide Sony RX100 or EOS M the fact that Canon
considers the EOS M as a video camera first and still camera second shud be
interesting. This means they will probably not do anything about the EOS M
slow AF ( 1.2 to 1.7 sec it seems)

"When we met with Canon, reps were careful to note what the EOS M is, and what it isn't. In the US, the company is positioning the EOS M as a video-first camera, designed to be something of a companion tool for videographers and cinematographers much the same way the G1 X is designed for pro shooters who want something smaller than their DSLR. Since it lacks a viewfinder, reps said, it doesn't provide the same still photography experience as a camera like the T4i. Without the controls and ergonomics of a DSLR, it's also not as fast to operate. Canon's not even calling the EOS M a "mirrorless camera," lest buyers be confused into thinking it's a NEX or Micro Four Thirds competitor. Though the camera's clearly capable of the same functionality as a NEX-F3 or an Olympus OM-D E-M5, Canon imagines a different user, one much more focused on video. If you want to step up from a point-and-shoot, reps said, buy a T4i."
sniper on the roof
post Jul 27 2012, 07:18 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,414 posts

QUOTE(enviro @ Jul 27 2012, 05:51 PM)
For those of you who are trying to decide Sony RX100 or EOS M the fact that Canon
considers the EOS M as a video camera first and still camera second shud be
interesting. This means they will probably not do anything about the EOS M
slow AF ( 1.2 to 1.7 sec it seems)

"When we met with Canon, reps were careful to note what the EOS M is, and what it isn't. In the US, the company is positioning the EOS M as a video-first camera, designed to be something of a companion tool for videographers and cinematographers much the same way the G1 X is designed for pro shooters who want something smaller than their DSLR. Since it lacks a viewfinder, reps said, it doesn't provide the same still photography experience as a camera like the T4i. Without the controls and ergonomics of a DSLR, it's also not as fast to operate. Canon's not even calling the EOS M a "mirrorless camera," lest buyers be confused into thinking it's a NEX or Micro Four Thirds competitor. Though the camera's clearly capable of the same functionality as a NEX-F3 or an Olympus OM-D E-M5, Canon imagines a different user, one much more focused on video. If you want to step up from a point-and-shoot, reps said, buy a T4i."
True or not... its still really tcss ... the video AF also slow wat.

Tak kan expect noobies to manual focus.

Besides.. it looks like a mirrorless camera... sure could've fooled me.

This post has been edited by sniper on the roof: Jul 27 2012, 07:21 PM

167 Pages « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0187sec    0.22    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:49 PM