Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> LYN swimming thread V3

johny2k
post Apr 4 2018, 09:40 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(El-LoboSolitario @ Apr 3 2018, 11:26 AM)
Thanks, mate.  nod.gif

Indeed, i have trouble with breathing, though i only raise my head looking forward when i need to peek for incoming swimmer...
I normally twist my body sideway as my hand go up and move forward to pull... since i have history of dislocated joint on my right shoulder, i rely heavily on kicking force to swim forward instead of hands.

my breathing normally get disrupted from water entry into nose and cause plugged ear, either i roll my head too much when taking breath and the water drip into my nose, or I roll too little, the water entry through mouth or nose when it's near water surface...
couldn't be more agree that it must have alot to do with balance, which resulting in me not breathing at the right angle consistently... still finding a way to overcome it, guess i just need more practice for trial & error!
Actually the best way to find out where is your problem is taking a self videos, It will direct point out what's your problem. smile.gif
mushigen
post Apr 11 2018, 09:54 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(OptimusStar @ Mar 10 2018, 12:37 PM)
I am a newby learning to swim. I have a goggles and i noticed that the water keep going in one eye and the other eye is fine. Would this be considered the goggles malfunction already and i need to get a new one?
I faced this issue with my new TYR goggles.
First, you can try the fit using "vacuum test". Google this. If both sides stick well when tested independently, you may have same problem with me.

Turned out that the distance between the two sides was too wide, even after using the smallest bridge. Solution: i used cable tie to connect the goggles and reduced the distance.

When shopping for new goggles, always do the vacuum test. Walk away if the shop does not allow testing.
mushigen
post Apr 11 2018, 10:02 AM

Getting Started

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Relying mostly on kicking to produce propulsion will tire even the fittest of swimmers. The legs have the biggest muscles in our body which produce lots of lactic acid.
I use 2-beat kicks when doing long distances, else it would be very tiring. Sacrifice some speed.

Water in nose /mouth can be caused by swimming too slowly, where there is no trough (bowl shaped water level) beside the head.
mushigen
post Apr 11 2018, 10:08 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(unitron @ Apr 3 2018, 02:15 PM)
Anyone found any effective and lasting anti-fog methods for goggles ?

So far, spit i think is unhygienic, baby shampoo i think not good long term getting into the eyes.
Get anti-fog solution like this. You may have to apply before every swim. Much better than using saliva, shampoo or toothpaste.
Attached Image

OptimusStar
post Apr 11 2018, 02:56 PM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(mushigen @ Apr 11 2018, 09:54 AM)
I faced this issue with my new TYR goggles.
First, you can try the fit using "vacuum test". Google this. If both sides stick well when tested independently, you may have same problem with me.

Turned out that the distance between the two sides was too wide,  even after using the smallest bridge. Solution: i used cable tie to connect the goggles and reduced the distance.

When shopping for new goggles, always do the vacuum test. Walk away if the shop does not allow testing.
Thanks for your update. Will try this though i got a new goggles prior to your post from Speedo and seems to stop this issue for me.
unitron
post Apr 11 2018, 03:27 PM

W1(R)3d

QUOTE(mushigen @ Apr 11 2018, 10:08 AM)
Get anti-fog solution like this. You may have to apply before every swim. Much better than using saliva, shampoo or toothpaste.
Thanks, where to buy ? Online order ?
I see some made-in-china ones, but don't dare to try, later eyes got problem, finish.
mushigen
post Apr 11 2018, 03:36 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(unitron @ Apr 11 2018, 03:27 PM)
Thanks, where to buy ? Online order ?
I see some made-in-china ones, but don't dare to try, later eyes got problem, finish.
Try those sports shops selling swim wear and goggles.
johny2k
post Apr 11 2018, 04:56 PM

Casual

QUOTE(mushigen @ Apr 11 2018, 10:02 AM)

Relying mostly on kicking to produce propulsion will tire even the fittest of swimmers. The legs have the biggest muscles in our body which produce lots of lactic acid.
I use 2-beat kicks when doing long distances, else it would be very tiring. Sacrifice some speed.

Water in nose /mouth can be caused by swimming too slowly,  where there is no trough (bowl shaped water level) beside the head.
I do agree about your kicking opinion, most of the people are thinking about kick harder will produce more propulsion. Actually that is not correct at all, for me the purpose of kicking is helping body rotate.

Same like you, I'm using 2 beat kick too. biggrin.gif
El-LoboSolitario
post Apr 16 2018, 11:17 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(mushigen @ Apr 11 2018, 10:02 AM)

Water in nose /mouth can be caused by swimming too slowly,  where there is no trough (bowl shaped water level) beside the head.
You brought up some good points, which I'd also noted myself as i practiced more, now focusing on the dynamic balance between the kick and hand pull now. Thanks for the tip, sir.

QUOTE(johny2k @ Apr 4 2018, 09:40 AM)
Actually the best way to find out where is your problem is taking a self videos, It will direct point out what's your problem. smile.gif
That's a bit too difficult... one, is need to invest a water proof device and 2nd, i always go there swimming by myself in the public pool, bit complicated and inconvenience... but still thanking you for the suggestion & tip as always smile.gif

This post has been edited by El-LoboSolitario: Apr 16 2018, 11:26 AM
ChipZ
post Apr 17 2018, 09:42 PM

Enthusiast

Hi all, I have a 1.9km open water swimming slot to let go at Putrajaya 13th May. More details here:

https://www.malaysiaopenwaterswimming.com/k...mows-challenge/
Prothero
post May 29 2018, 06:25 AM

Getting Started

Hi there..

Does anyone know a place to buy swimwear for men? Looking for swim shirt (is that what they call it lol) and long thighs, good quality brand, KV area..

Thanks!
1qaz1qaz
post May 31 2018, 11:28 AM

What Are You Looking At???!

Hi

anyone here can give a pointer or two for free? or maybe i buy u dinner haha
need someone to teach me how to water tread and also swim properly

or you got any swimming instructor that are cheap to intro?

ChipZ
post May 31 2018, 02:02 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(1qaz1qaz @ May 31 2018, 11:28 AM)
Hi

anyone here can give a pointer or two for free? or maybe i buy u dinner haha
need someone to teach me how to water tread and also swim properly

or you got any swimming instructor that are cheap to intro?
How cheap is cheap? What is the market price at Klang Valley for adult coaching now?
1qaz1qaz
post May 31 2018, 02:13 PM

What Are You Looking At???!

QUOTE(ChipZ @ May 31 2018, 02:02 PM)
How cheap is cheap? What is the market price at Klang Valley for adult coaching now?
i have no idea thats why i ask
jtime.my
post Jun 13 2018, 03:29 PM

QUOTE(Prothero @ May 29 2018, 06:25 AM)
Hi there..

Does anyone know a place to buy swimwear for men? Looking for swim shirt (is that what they call it lol) and long thighs, good quality brand, KV area..

Thanks!
Go to Decathon Malaysia, it's cheap and not bad to use.

https://www.decathlon.my/

This post has been edited by jtime.my: Jun 13 2018, 03:30 PM

74 Pages « < 72 73 74Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0761sec    3.97    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 08:06 PM