Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> So you're interested in ARCHITECTURE? Version 3, A guide to becoming an Architect

wiraone
post Jul 7 2017, 12:10 PM
Who cares about all the stars?
Group: Senior Member

Just wondering, for MArch in USM, I believe it is not accredited yet by LAM. If it passes the accreditation after enrolment, will the degree recognised as LAM Part II?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Jul 7 2017, 01:08 PM
mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Education Essentials, Architecture
Group: Elite

QUOTE(Skisz @ Jul 7 2017, 12:41 AM)
Does *all works* means all the design projects from semester 1 till 6?
Ofcourse.
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Jul 7 2017, 01:20 PM
Group Icon

QUOTE(wiraone @ Jul 7 2017, 12:10 PM)
Just wondering, for MArch in USM, I believe it is not accredited yet by LAM. If it passes the accreditation after enrolment, will the degree recognised as LAM Part II?
We recognize based on point of graduation, not enrolement. Meaning if you enroll now into an unaccredited programme, u can still be accredited as long as u graduate once the school becomes accredited.

But it also means if u join into an accredited programme, but later become unaccredited for whatever reason and u graduate after it expires, u will not be accredited.

We had a few students who enrolled into our programme but would have graduated a year earlier before the scheduled accreditation. They happily deferred their semesters to ensure they graduate within the accredited period đŸ˜‚

This post has been edited by azarimy: Jul 7 2017, 01:22 PM
+Quote Post
wiraone
post Jul 7 2017, 02:35 PM
Who cares about all the stars?

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jul 7 2017, 01:20 PM)
We recognize based on point of graduation, not enrolement. Meaning if you enroll now into an unaccredited programme, u can still be accredited as long as u graduate once the school becomes accredited.

But it also means if u join into an accredited programme, but later become unaccredited for whatever reason and u graduate after it expires, u will not be accredited.

We had a few students who enrolled into our programme but would have graduated a year earlier before the scheduled accreditation. They happily deferred their semesters to ensure they graduate within the accredited period đŸ˜‚
Thanks Mr Azari. Only two universities currently accredited MArch with equivalent for LAM Part II in Malaysia right now (2017-2019). How long does it take for the accreditation process? Is there any advantage taking the postgrad degree from UK? My daughter has got places there (one already recognised the other has visited status).

+Quote Post
azarimy
post Jul 7 2017, 05:05 PM
Group Icon

QUOTE(wiraone @ Jul 7 2017, 02:35 PM)
Thanks Mr Azari. Only two universities currently accredited MArch with equivalent for LAM Part II in Malaysia right now (2017-2019). How long does it take for the accreditation process? Is there any advantage taking the postgrad degree from UK? My daughter has got places there (one already recognised the other has visited status).
The CAAEM committee just sat for a meeting today. You see the result for the visited schools in a few days.

The accreditation process is done by sending a Visiting Panel (VP) to the school to evaluate their programme. This takes 2 days. Then they will produce a report and convene inthe CAAEM meeting to discuss the outcome. This usually happens once every quarter.

The results will appear on the website within 2 weeks.

What can be slow is the state of readiness of the school in applying for accreditation. Some schools take years to be ready. But once the VP visited the school, the process is pretty clear.
+Quote Post
byefghi
post Jul 12 2017, 11:24 PM
Group: New Member

-deleted-

This post has been edited by byefghi: Jul 12 2017, 11:29 PM
+Quote Post
GravityFi3ld
post Jul 14 2017, 12:05 PM
Nick Fury's Night Fury

Quick one,
Appreciate if you guys could recommend autocad courses/classes (to be draughtsman).
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Jul 14 2017, 12:10 PM
Group Icon

QUOTE(GravityFi3ld @ Jul 14 2017, 12:05 PM)
Quick one,
Appreciate if you guys could recommend autocad courses/classes (to be draughtsman).
Are u or will u be studying architecture? Coz autocad are taught as part of the syllabus. No need to spend RM600-1000 to learn something that u will learn (and master!) eventually.
+Quote Post
GravityFi3ld
post Jul 14 2017, 12:33 PM
Nick Fury's Night Fury

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jul 14 2017, 12:10 PM)
Are u or will u be studying architecture? Coz autocad are taught as part of the syllabus. No need to spend RM600-1000 to learn something that u will learn (and master!) eventually.
planning to take it(autocad) as stepping stone, once complete then see whether to pursue AR/ID or qs-ing.
Have interest in both, but need to be certain before making the long term commitment.

currently holding degree in finance laugh.gif totally not related laugh.gif
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Jul 14 2017, 12:49 PM
Group Icon

QUOTE(GravityFi3ld @ Jul 14 2017, 12:33 PM)
planning to take it(autocad) as stepping stone, once complete then see whether to pursue AR/ID or qs-ing.
Have interest in both, but need to be certain before making the long term commitment.

currently holding degree in finance laugh.gif totally not related laugh.gif
if u have money and time to spare, go for it. else, i dont recommend it as AR or ID will have autocad training embedded in them. i believe most QS programmes would have as well, as it increases their graduates marketability.

i run autocad courses in JB if u're are around here.
+Quote Post
GravityFi3ld
post Jul 14 2017, 05:51 PM
Nick Fury's Night Fury

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jul 14 2017, 12:49 PM)
if u have money and time to spare, go for it. else, i dont recommend it as AR or ID will have autocad training embedded in them. i believe most QS programmes would have as well, as it increases their graduates marketability.

i run autocad courses in JB if u're are around here.
did set some funds aside for this of course, and unfortunately i'm in KL sweat.gif
definitely appreciate it if you can recommend any courses available here in KL wink.gif
+Quote Post
byefghi
post Jul 15 2017, 08:59 PM

Hi,
according to the LAM website, only a few UK architecture degrees are currently accredited by LAM. Let's say I'm going to Liverpool for architecture degree this year, but the university is not in the list. If LAM starts to list Liverpool as one of the accredited universities next year, would I be exempted for LAM Part I? Or not? Do you by any chance know when will they release the whole list of recognized universities?

Also, do you know Liverpool School of Architecture (University of Liverpool) ? Is it considered a good university for architecture? I am currently in a dilemma now cuz I dunno whether forking out such a large amount of money to study in the UK worth the money or not.

Thanks for advance if you could clear my doubts!
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Jul 15 2017, 09:23 PM
Group Icon

QUOTE(byefghi @ Jul 15 2017, 08:59 PM)
Hi,
according to the LAM website, only a few UK architecture degrees are currently accredited by LAM. Let's say I'm going to Liverpool for architecture degree this year, but the university is not in the list. If LAM starts to list  Liverpool as one of the accredited universities next year, would I be exempted for LAM Part I? Or not? Do you by any chance know when will they release  the whole list of recognized universities?

Also, do you know Liverpool School of Architecture (University of Liverpool) ? Is it considered a good university for architecture? I am currently in a dilemma now cuz I dunno whether forking out such a large amount of money to study in the UK worth the money or not.

the list published on LAM website is the full list. what you see is everything. it is updated as soon as a result for a visited school is available, so do check every now and then.

it doesnt matter when u enroll into a school. when it comes to validation, it only matters the year when you graduate. for example, you went to liverpool this year (not yet validated). but a month before you're supposed to graduate, liverpool was granted validation, and you will graduate with full LAM validation.

but if you enroll to another validated school this year, but later fell out of validation a month before graduation, you're screwed.

liverpool is a good school. however they have yet to apply for validation. doesnt mean they're bad, though. in my opinion, if u plan to work in malaysia or continue for part 2 locally, stick to the validated list. it'll save u a lot of hassle. most msian sponsors will also stick to LAM list.
+Quote Post
post Jul 17 2017, 05:51 PM
Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(byefghi @ Jul 15 2017, 08:59 PM)
Hi,
according to the LAM website, only a few UK architecture degrees are currently accredited by LAM. Let's say I'm going to Liverpool for architecture degree this year, but the university is not in the list. If LAM starts to list  Liverpool as one of the accredited universities next year, would I be exempted for LAM Part I? Or not? Do you by any chance know when will they release  the whole list of recognized universities?

Go to Manchester School of Architecture...even Ar. Amer Hamzah (LAM president) send his kid to this school. And according to him, you will get a degree from both Uni of Manchester AND Manchester Met Uni. Can boast about it in your resume. rclxms.gif
Why worry about 'validation' too much. Things will be sorted out later.
When you graduate and decided to go back to Malaysia to practice, and then decided you want to proceed with registration then only you need to care.
Let's go for a round for prominent figures in the local architecture scene.
1. Kamil Merican - not listed in the LAM register (unless he is using other names), yet he his somewhat being known as an architect managing one of the largest office in Malaysia.
2. Ar. Lillian Tay - graduated from Princeton (US). Princeton is not accredited back then, she went through the process and got registered, now she is a principal of Veritas.
3. Kevin Low - graduated from University of Oregon (US) not listed in LAM register (unless he is using other names), yet also being known as an architect. Heck, the University of Queensland even appointed him as an adjunct professor.
the list goes on...so whether your school is 'LAM validated' is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to practice.

What you should really care about is whether or not the profession remains relevant in the future. Here I quote:
"Architecture today is little more than cardboard," says Koolhaas, ... "Our influence has been reduced to a territory that is just 2cm thick."

Perhaps I go too far, after all this is the education board. Just enjoy your youth while you can, because practice is way more cruel than LAM abolishing the automatic recognition of your degree.

This post has been edited by 2387581: Jul 17 2017, 05:58 PM
+Quote Post
PYF
post Jul 17 2017, 11:55 PM

Hi,

You mentioned that there is a part time degree for bachelor of architecture programme.

Do you have the information about such programme like the university, entry requirements, course curriculum, duration of the programme?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.
+Quote Post
Alpha.1
post Jul 18 2017, 08:14 PM

Hi Azarimy,
just checking wheter UTM's Part time M.Arch are taking intakes for this coming Sept. Did apply but seems no news yet.
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Jul 18 2017, 09:36 PM
Group Icon

QUOTE(PYF @ Jul 17 2017, 11:55 PM)
Hi,

You mentioned that there is a part time degree for bachelor of architecture programme.

Do you have the information about such programme like the university, entry requirements, course curriculum, duration of the programme?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.
it hasnt started yet. UTM plans to conduct it in 2018, but there are no news on it yet. the course curriculum will be the exact mirror of the full time programme. you can browse it on UTM FAB webpage.

QUOTE(Alpha.1 @ Jul 18 2017, 08:14 PM)
Hi Azarimy,
just checking wheter UTM's Part time M.Arch are taking intakes for this coming Sept. Did apply but seems no news yet.
we've just sorted out the full time M.Arch intakes 2 weeks ago. part time should be soon.
+Quote Post
Alpha.1
post Yesterday, 02:11 PM

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jul 18 2017, 09:36 PM)
we've just sorted out the full time M.Arch intakes 2 weeks ago. part time should be soon.
Roughly when the interview sessions will be held?
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Yesterday, 03:39 PM
Group Icon

QUOTE(Alpha.1 @ Jul 21 2017, 02:11 PM)
Roughly when the interview sessions will be held?
We are currently sorting it out. Expect some time in August.
+Quote Post
Alpha.1
post Yesterday, 06:12 PM

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jul 21 2017, 03:39 PM)
We are currently sorting it out. Expect some time in August.
Thank u for ur prompt reply. Really appreciate that.
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0767sec    3.81    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 22nd July 2017 - 04:36 PM