Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> So you're interested in ARCHITECTURE? Version 3, A guide to becoming an Architect

prophetjul
post Jul 26 2017, 12:53 PM
Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

Australian recognized degrees only THREE universities now......is this a JOKE? ohmy.gif

http://lam.gov.my/accreditation/list-of-re...ised-programmes
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Jul 26 2017, 04:20 PM
mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Education Essentials, Architecture
Group: Elite

QUOTE(prophetjul @ Jul 26 2017, 12:53 PM)
Australian recognized degrees only THREE universities now......is this a JOKE?  ohmy.gif
http://lam.gov.my/accreditation/list-of-re...ised-programmes
no joke.

i'm sure you're aware of the revocation of automatic accreditation starting 1 jan this year? it's been in the news since 2015.
+Quote Post
prophetjul
post Jul 26 2017, 04:41 PM
Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jul 26 2017, 04:20 PM)
no joke.

i'm sure you're aware of the revocation of automatic accreditation starting 1 jan this year? it's been in the news since 2015.
So what does that mean for U of Melbourne graduate coming back to Malaysia to work?
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Jul 26 2017, 06:19 PM
Group Icon

QUOTE(prophetjul @ Jul 26 2017, 04:41 PM)
So what does that mean for U of Melbourne graduate coming back to Malaysia to work?
As this is a new rule implemented this year, anyone who registered before 1 Jan 2017 is not affected. They are still covered by the old automatic accreditation list, regardless when they graduate (including if they extend their studies, but does not include continuing to M.Arch).

The new list is being rebuilt. Abolished were the automatic accreditation part. So now we are validating each school individually by sending representatives from LAM to those schools.

Once validated, these schools will appear on the list. Its a thorough and rigorous process, but now any schools can apply regardless of their system. Meaning American schools that were never accredited before can now be included as well. So will Japanese, Korean, Chinese, European or wherever Malaysians tend to flock to.
+Quote Post
Leonoell
post Jul 26 2017, 09:52 PM
Group: Junior Member

Hello, Mr.Azarimy
I'm in currently from F6 Arts stream and taking maths, I knew that Maths is one of the requirements in order to study architecture course
but I found that the syllabus for maths in arts stream are mainly more to Statistics and finance, while someone told me that Science stream maths (which have Trigonometry) is much more useful in studying architecture. (this kinda upset me as my level of Trigonometry was at Form 5 level.)
One question is why do Architecture course accept Arts stream students too while their syllabus is more towards statistics?
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Jul 26 2017, 10:11 PM
Group Icon

QUOTE(Leonoell @ Jul 26 2017, 09:52 PM)
Hello, Mr.Azarimy
I'm in currently from F6 Arts stream and taking maths, I knew that Maths is one of the requirements in order to study architecture course
but I found that the syllabus for maths in arts stream are mainly more to Statistics and finance, while someone told me that Science stream maths (which have Trigonometry) is much more useful in studying architecture. (this kinda upset me as my level of Trigonometry was at Form 5 level.)
One question is why do Architecture course accept Arts stream students too while their syllabus is more towards statistics?
math is important. but not everything. trigonometry is useful as it allows u to quickly resolve geometrical problems. but not every problem in architecture is geometrical. being good at geometry helps. but not being good at it isnt really that big an issue.

as far as architecture is concerned, we only need form 4 maths.
+Quote Post
prophetjul
post Yesterday, 08:39 AM
Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jul 26 2017, 06:19 PM)
As this is a new rule implemented this year, anyone who registered before 1 Jan 2017 is not affected. They are still covered by the old automatic accreditation list, regardless when they graduate (including if they extend their studies, but does not include continuing to M.Arch).

The new list is being rebuilt. Abolished were the automatic accreditation part. So now we are validating each school individually by sending representatives from LAM to those schools.

Once validated, these schools will appear on the list. Its a thorough and rigorous process, but now any schools can apply regardless of their system. Meaning American schools that were never accredited before can now be included as well. So will Japanese, Korean, Chinese, European or wherever Malaysians tend to flock to.
Meaning the schools have to apply to be recognized by LAM?

What is their motivation to do that if they are top Architecture schools of the world? Will Universities of Cambridge or Melbourne apply to be recognized by LAM?
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Yesterday, 09:32 AM
Group Icon

QUOTE(prophetjul @ Jul 27 2017, 08:39 AM)
Meaning the schools have to apply to be recognized by LAM?

What is their motivation to do that if they are top Architecture schools of the world? Will Universities of Cambridge or Melbourne apply to be recognized by LAM?
yes, they would have to. it's totally voluntary. there will be a fee charged by LAM in order to send our validators to inspect their school. so it wont be by our tax payer's money, if anyone's worried about that biggrin.gif.

for top schools, i dont think it matters to them. but malaysia has the 3rd largest citizen studying abroad in the world, after china and india. and a large number of it are paid by government sponsorship or loan.

these sponsors will only send students to accredited schools. so they look to our respective bodies/boards in each profession to determine which schools are accredited, which are not. for medicine we have KKM, and for architecture we have LAM. do note that MQA can only accredit local programmes, and when it comes to professional courses such as architecture, LAM has higher jurisdiction than MQA.

so to put it simply:

LAM Validation = more Malaysian students studying there = more money

banyak sangat ke student malaysia belajar architecture luar negara?

good question. Curtin (australia) has over 100 malaysian students studying architecture. IN ONE SCHOOL. if an international fee is AUD10k, that's AUD1mil a year gone (if without accreditation).

i cant say for UK schools, but we are currently negotiating something with australian schools, melbourne included.

+Quote Post
prophetjul
post Yesterday, 10:10 AM
Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(azarimy @ Jul 27 2017, 09:32 AM)
yes, they would have to. it's totally voluntary. there will be a fee charged by LAM in order to send our validators to inspect their school. so it wont be by our tax payer's money, if anyone's worried about that biggrin.gif.

for top schools, i dont think it matters to them. but malaysia has the 3rd largest citizen studying abroad in the world, after china and india. and a large number of it are paid by government sponsorship or loan.

these sponsors will only send students to accredited schools. so they look to our respective bodies/boards in each profession to determine which schools are accredited, which are not. for medicine we have KKM, and for architecture we have LAM. do note that MQA can only accredit local programmes, and when it comes to professional courses such as architecture, LAM has higher jurisdiction than MQA.

so to put it simply:

LAM Validation = more Malaysian students studying there = more money

banyak sangat ke student malaysia belajar architecture luar negara?

good question. Curtin (australia) has over 100 malaysian students studying architecture. IN ONE SCHOOL. if an international fee is AUD10k, that's AUD1mil a year gone (if without accreditation).

i cant say for UK schools, but we are currently negotiating something with australian schools, melbourne included.
For lower rung schools I can understand they will apply due to their commercial needs.

However, top rung schools like Bath, UCL, Cambridge, Melbourne will tell LAM to fly.....they do not need Malaysian students.
Thus, it will be very awkward if Malaysia LAM do not recognize these universities whereas really low stuff like LimKOKWing gets recognition! laugh.gif
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Group Icon

QUOTE(prophetjul @ Jul 27 2017, 10:10 AM)
For lower rung schools I can understand they will apply due to their commercial needs.

However, top rung schools like Bath, UCL, Cambridge, Melbourne will tell LAM to fly.....they do not need Malaysian students.
Thus, it will be very awkward if Malaysia LAM do not recognize these universities whereas really low stuff like LimKOKWing gets recognition!  laugh.gif
the whole point of validating and overseas programme is not for us to judge or rank their schools compared to us. that's not what LAM is doing. LAM is concerned about the criteria that each graduate possesses when they come back here to practice.

in the past, many students "escaped" without having fulfilled the base requirements simply because the previous school was granted "automatic accreditation". while others who came from unaccredited schools do possess them, yet could not register.

so when we validate a school, we share with the school: hey, here's a list of things we need. it would be helpful if u can ensure malaysian students studying in your school to meet these criteria.

and the criteria arent exactly unique to malaysia. we deliberately geared our criteria so that it could fit on any developing and/or tropical countries (including laws and regulations). there are no standards that evaluate and verify schools regarding to these criteria, and we have the opportunity to be the standard. that's what RIBA's been doing, but their criteria is geared towards their needs. there's the other half of the world that requires different standards.

anyways, LAM is not bothered if the schools dont want to be validated by LAM. most of those schools have a small number of malaysians anyway. when i was in bartlett, there were like 7 of us, and 5 are postgraduates. but for them, if the programme is accredited by their own local authority (such as ARB), they can come back and sit for the LAM parts 1 & 2 exams. so that path is still open. just dont expect any government sponsorships to go there if its not validated by LAM. tu aje.
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0611sec    3.44    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 06:53 PM