Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

171 Pages « < 156 157 158 159 160 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

So you're interested in ARCHITECTURE? Version 3, A guide to becoming an Architect

views

Stamp
post Apr 4 2017, 11:27 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,782 posts

Encik azarimy - can PM me your opinion on Univ Malaya MArch program?
TSazarimy
post Apr 4 2017, 04:12 PM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Stamp @ Apr 4 2017, 11:27 AM)
Encik azarimy - can PM me your opinion on Univ Malaya MArch program?
Just PM me ur questions.
Alpha.1
post Apr 16 2017, 11:52 AM

30 posts

Mr azarimy, im wondering would it be possible to submit for both part and full time at the same application? I mean for Utm M.arch, as I hv yet to decide which path to choose
TSazarimy
post Apr 16 2017, 04:16 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Alpha.1 @ Apr 16 2017, 11:52 AM)
Mr azarimy, im wondering would it be possible to submit for both part and full time at the same application? I mean for Utm M.arch, as I hv yet to decide which path to choose
yes.
Skisz
post Apr 24 2017, 05:51 PM

Getting Started
110 posts

Mr. Aza,

I'm wondering, do you by any chance know if studio hours affects the accreditation of a university? Bcs where I'm studying right now, the studio only opens on weekdays (8am-10pm) and sunday (10am-10pm), close on saturday and public holiday, also on university holiday like midterm and etc.

The rules are very tight here, we are not allowed to stay in the faculty to do our work after 11. The police bantuan will come and force us to leave. We don't have much time to do our work bcs you know, we also have classes on weekdays. Its kinda restricted our working hour and also the quality of work produced.

This post has been edited by Skisz: Apr 25 2017, 03:40 AM
TSazarimy
post Apr 24 2017, 09:58 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Skisz @ Apr 24 2017, 05:51 PM)
Mr. Aza,

I'm wondering, do you by any chance know if studio hours affects the accreditation of a university? Bcs where I'm studying right now, the studio only opens on weekdays (8am-10pm) and sunday (10am-10pm), close on saturday and public holiday, also on university holiday like midterm and etc.

The rules are very tight here, we are not allowed to stay in the faculty to do our work after 11. The police bantuan will come and force us to leave. We don't have much time to do our work bcs you know, we also have classes on weekdays. Its kinda restricted our working hour and also the quality of work produced. I kinda miss our previous campus where the studio opens for 24 hours. I find it a little bit hard to adapt.
hello there.

no, studio hours (beyond normal office hours) do not affect the accreditation. LAM requires students to be allowed access to dedicated spaces within suitable working hours. the suitability is up to the school to interpret based on Student Learning Time (SLT) defined in the curriculum.

for example, a school that loads the studio with 8 credits would be interpreted as

(8credits x 40hours) / 14 weeks in a semester

320 / 14 = 22 working hours per week.

that 22 working hours per week is the total load you should spend in the studio, including normal studio meetings, crits, presentations and assessments. so if your school allows access 14 hours in week days (70 hours) + 12 hours on sundays, that's already 82hours per week. even if you subtract 3 hours per day (for makan, rest etc) and 12 hours per week for other subjects/classes, you'll still end up with 52 hours.

so by definition, the school have provided not just the required hours for you to access your studio, but had provided extra as well.

in UTM, we play by similar rules. studio closes at 11pm for logistical purposes. you're not paying the bills. the security cant be responsible if anything happens during that time. so students have to work efficiently, maximize the time they had, and later go back, rest, and come in early. but we do allow 24 hours studios when submissions are approaching.

we also allow a single 24 hour studio (that can house 30 students) where anyone who needs to use it can apply, regardless of year of study. because lets face it, in a studio of 15 students, not everyone will work 24 hours. there's no point opening up a studio with lights, aircond and internet only for ONE student to use, right? so for these students, they can pool in the 24 hour studio.

here's the catch: if the guards came and check and you're not at your station, you'll be dropped out of the 24 hour studio to make way for other students who needs it.
Skisz
post Apr 25 2017, 03:36 AM

Getting Started
110 posts

I see. To have one 24 hours studio for the students to do their work would be really nice especially if submissions are approaching. We had one or two before but sadly the admin (or who ever made the choice) decided to close it down because according to them, we don't need them. I get that the admin is trying to cut down the cost due to limited budget. But yeah, I get what you're saying.
TSazarimy
post Apr 25 2017, 07:41 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Skisz @ Apr 25 2017, 03:36 AM)
I see. To have one 24 hours studio for the students to do their work would be really nice especially if submissions are approaching. We had one or two before but sadly the admin (or who ever made the choice) decided to close it down because according to them, we don't need them. I get that the admin is trying to cut down the cost due to limited budget. But yeah, I get what you're saying.
Just remember that architects negotiate everything.

Time to put that skill to use.

And by negotiating, it means that you have to bring something to offer on the table too. If you dont, then that's not negotiating. That's demanding.
harryhl
post Apr 25 2017, 06:37 PM

19 posts

Hi Mr. azarimy, first off I would just like to say that I think it's very kind and thoughtful of you to dedicate the time and effort to provide information and answer questions about architecture courses and architecture in general from students like us thumbup.gif

I have a few questions myself,

Do UTM architectural diploma holders have priority to continue into UTM's architectural degree programme?
Yes. UTM degree school has a special allocation to accommodate outstanding UTM diploma holders. This is determined by the diploma school (UTM KL), whom will recommend a list of students that satisfies the requirement to join UTM degree school at 3rd year level. Other diploma holders will join UTM at 2nd year, and sometimes 2nd year 2nd semester the most.

So it is possible for a UTM diploma holder to shorten his study time from a total of 7 years to 6 years? (Archi diploma (3 years) + Degree (1 year) + Master's (2 years)

And what exactly are the requirements for an outstanding UTM diploma holder to skip to the 3rd year degree?

TSazarimy
post Apr 25 2017, 06:42 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(harryhl @ Apr 25 2017, 06:37 PM)
Hi Mr. azarimy, first off I would just like to say that I think it's very kind and thoughtful of you to dedicate the time and effort to provide information and answer questions about architecture courses and architecture in general from students like usĀ  thumbup.gif

I have a few questions myself,
So it is possible for a UTM diploma holder to shorten his study time from a total of 7 years to 6 years? (Archi diploma (3 years) + Degree (1 year) + Master's (2 years)

And what exactly are the requirements for an outstanding UTM diploma holder to skip to the 3rd year degree?
Hi there. Sorry that information is outdated. We upgraded our programme recently, and starting 2014 all intakes from diploma will join at 2nd year level, regardless of previous performance.

In addition to that, they will need to add another semester after their 3rd year to complete the subject requirements, making the entire duration 2.5 years for B.Sc.Arch.

This is the standard practice set by MQA regulation on maximum credit transfers between programmes. In UTM u will join at 2nd year, but in some schools u join at 1st year. Whichever it is, all diploma holderd will have to do 2.5years for degree.

This post has been edited by azarimy: Apr 25 2017, 06:43 PM
Diong Jia Qi
post May 14 2017, 02:31 PM

2 posts

Mr. Aza, this is Diong Jia Qi from FAB, currently studying first year in urban and regional planning. I've sent up my documents to appeal changing course to architecture in March. I've track few times at the office but they told they do not know the progress as well. Who should I refer to or what more I can do from Mr.Aza opinion?
TSazarimy
post May 14 2017, 03:31 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Diong Jia Qi @ May 14 2017, 02:31 PM)
Mr. Aza, this is Diong Jia Qi from FAB, currently studying first year in urban and regional planning. I've sent up my documents to appeal changing course to architecture in March. I've track few times at the office but they told they do not know the progress as well. Who should I refer to or what more I can do from Mr.Aza opinion?
to whom did you submit it to?

the best person to talk to about changing course within the same faculty is the Dean.
Diong Jia Qi
post May 14 2017, 05:04 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(azarimy @ May 14 2017, 04:31 PM)
to whom did you submit it to?

the best person to talk to about changing course within the same faculty is the Dean.
I submit to the pejabat akademik FAB.. but i didn't receive any reply from the officer...
ok.. i try to contact the Dean then.. Thanks for advice
Asmnnnncom
post May 15 2017, 01:13 AM

Getting Started
54 posts

Do I need to be good at mathematics in order to do an architecture course?
TSazarimy
post May 15 2017, 01:23 AM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Asmnnnncom @ May 15 2017, 01:13 AM)
Do I need to be good at mathematics in order to do an architecture course?
it certainly helps, a lot. architecture uses math in various ways: mostly in geometry, others in physics. there are more calculations than most people think: cost, quantifying, estimations and so on.

it's fine if u're not good in maths before joining architecture. but there are plenty of other things to learn; being good in maths certainly makes time for u to learn the others.
Rudd
post May 16 2017, 05:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,014 posts

Diploma in building.

- what's your comment on this course?
- with only diploma in hand, what would be the job position?
- if continue degree, does the payroll worth it?
PacManV12
post May 18 2017, 12:28 PM

Getting Started
70 posts

I'm wondering if discussing the interior architecture course is right at this forum?
I have few questions:
1. What's the job opportunity will the Interior Architecture Degree venture in?
2. What are the basic study "tools" to be equipped with for this course? Notebook? Ipad?

Hope this is the right thread to ask these questions.
Thanks
TSazarimy
post May 18 2017, 01:02 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Rudd @ May 16 2017, 05:48 PM)
Diploma in building.

- what's your comment on this course?
- with only diploma in hand, what would be the job position?
- if continue degree, does the payroll worth it?
in context of the built environment, dip in building basically trains u about building, construction, building technologies and so on. normally it qualifies u to become building contractors in the lower class. with a degree, u can climb on to higher class.

is it worth it? well, let's just say, even architects (who sits on the upper tier in the built environment) feel that it's not worth it. if u're in it for the money, then u need to plan ahead to setup ur own business as quickly as possible after graduation. if u plan to work in a firm or company, be ready to work for them for a very, very long time.

QUOTE(PacManV12 @ May 18 2017, 12:28 PM)
I'm wondering if discussing the interior architecture course is right at this forum?
I have few questions:
1. What's the job opportunity will the Interior Architecture Degree venture in?
2. What are the basic study "tools" to be equipped with for this course? Notebook? Ipad?

Hope this is the right thread to ask these questions.
Thanks
1. u become interior architect or interior designer. both are practically the same to me, although those taking them insists that they're different.
2. the same with architecture. i dont think people every use pads in architecture. but laptops a must. u dont need a strong laptops in the lower years, so i recommend u just use whatever u have right now, and only acquire a better one by 2nd or 3rd year. others include the usual drawing/drafting tools.
Stamp
post May 23 2017, 03:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,782 posts

My niece just applied for full time M.Arch at UM and UTM for this Sept 17 intake.

I was surprised that there's an interview for the M.Arch applicants. I wonder what they look for in the prospective M.Arch students.

En Azarimy, can you share your thoughts on this interview?
TSazarimy
post May 23 2017, 03:49 PM

Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(Stamp @ May 23 2017, 03:32 PM)
My niece just applied for full time M.Arch at UM and UTM for this Sept 17 intake.

I was surprised that there's an interview for the M.Arch applicants. I wonder what they look for in the prospective M.Arch students.

En Azarimy, can you share your thoughts on this interview?
As a rule, we screen everyone through for all architectural intakes in UTM, from diploma to PhD.

What we look for is no longer about qualification, but rather verification of previous works and achievements. This is where candidates must bring all works produced in part 1, log book post part 1 including proof of the 6months compulsory industrial placement.

Others would be to establish other special criteria that the candidate might have.

171 Pages « < 156 157 158 159 160 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0208sec    0.39    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:00 PM