Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Group LYN Buddhism Retreat - SERIOUS TALK, No trolling please

views

Chrono-Trigger
post Jun 23 2017, 10:56 AM

PERPETUAL BEWILDERMENT
3,802 posts

QUOTE(Trait0r @ Jun 23 2017, 10:49 AM)
Yes I do. I have been practicing for over a year now. Any teachers you go would recommend to go to? I am currently learning by reading the books published by meditation masters over the internet nia.
Mindfulness of breath?

There are buddhist centers/ temples with monks who teach it.
Chrono-Trigger
post Jun 23 2017, 11:00 AM

PERPETUAL BEWILDERMENT
3,802 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jun 23 2017, 10:42 AM)
you know, you remind me of Islam.

it's like you assume everyone expects you not to eat infront of them during fasting, while only small % of them think that way, majority are still pretty open minded.

so if you say don't give those things, you are making assumptions on others, they might felt sad that you misunderstood them though they don't use leather goods, thus you giving something alternatives (that they might have less preference).

i don't know your religion, but i can see you ain't no Hindu/Buddhist. A true follower would try to understand the world, which includes other religions & their beliefs. At least for Hindu/Buddhist.
there isn't the need to be so dramatic. if you feel so strongly about giving something that may offend other people, then you don't give those things.

This post has been edited by Chrono-Trigger: Jun 23 2017, 11:02 AM
SUSadvocado
post Jun 23 2017, 11:01 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(Chrono-Trigger @ Jun 23 2017, 11:00 AM)
there isn't the need to be so dramatic. if you feel so strongly about giving something that may offend other people, then you don't give those things.
1st of all, are you a Hindu or Buddhist? why are you trying to dodge here & there instead of giving an answer, if you don't know the general consensus of other believers, you can at least tell us your preference?
Trait0r
post Jun 23 2017, 11:04 AM

Getting Started
65 posts

QUOTE(Chrono-Trigger @ Jun 23 2017, 10:56 AM)
Mindfulness of breath?

There are buddhist centers/ temples with monks who teach it.
Nah, more to mindfulness in daily life/activities, how to keep coming back to the present moment. Mindfulness of the breath during formal meditations I have no problems.
Chrono-Trigger
post Jun 23 2017, 11:11 AM

PERPETUAL BEWILDERMENT
3,802 posts

QUOTE(Trait0r @ Jun 23 2017, 11:04 AM)
Nah, more to mindfulness in daily life/activities, how to keep coming back to the present moment. Mindfulness of the breath during formal meditations I have no problems.
oh you have tried mindfulness of breath? tried retreat?
danokchonger
post Jun 23 2017, 11:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,082 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jun 22 2017, 10:53 PM)
but Buddhism also have a set of teaching, and i particularly referring to those that practice no beef/vegetarian followers, so there must have some sort of general consensus on usage of cow products right? maybe not 100%, but at least 80%?
it also teaches on the danger of how it can be taken into extreme views - good eg are the jains with respect to how they regulate their life around the extreme views of ahimsa. even one could argue that being vegans like them does not mean that in that situation, none of the worms are killed in the process, or animals killed/displaced when the plantations were set up, or farmers that need to toil also need nourishment to do hard work which necessitates them to kill/consume in order to do their work. so what is the best solution if you were to follow to the letter ? not eating or not exist ?

that is why buddhism emphasise middle path, being aware of your mind (mindfulness) and how this interacts with others and the physical world outside.
Trait0r
post Jun 23 2017, 12:34 PM

Getting Started
65 posts

QUOTE(Chrono-Trigger @ Jun 23 2017, 11:11 AM)
oh you have tried mindfulness of breath? tried retreat?
Yes, tried mindfulness of the breath, retreat tried only once, dropped out half way sad.gif
Chrono-Trigger
post Jun 28 2017, 10:09 AM

PERPETUAL BEWILDERMENT
3,802 posts

QUOTE(Trait0r @ Jun 23 2017, 12:34 PM)
Yes, tried mindfulness of the breath, retreat tried only once, dropped out half way sad.gif
aww. find yourself some time, 1 week at least, and then if you are interested I can point to you where you can learn it smile.gif

This post has been edited by Chrono-Trigger: Jun 28 2017, 10:10 AM
Ryan19
post Jun 29 2017, 03:48 PM

Getting Started
77 posts

Using stomach to hold breath, while meditation is like detox body completely.....It was painful @ 1st.....but gradually lighten up the weight as you doing it regularly.
Chrono-Trigger
post Jun 29 2017, 03:57 PM

PERPETUAL BEWILDERMENT
3,802 posts

QUOTE(Ryan19 @ Jun 29 2017, 03:48 PM)
Using stomach to hold breath, while meditation is like detox body completely.....It was painful @ 1st.....but gradually lighten up the weight as you doing it regularly.
i am not aware of any meditation technique taught by the buddha that holds the breath, although the Buddha (before enlightenment) tried to hold his breath, to no success.

This post has been edited by Chrono-Trigger: Jun 29 2017, 03:58 PM
Ryan19
post Jun 29 2017, 04:03 PM

Getting Started
77 posts

Before doing any form of breathing meditation, best is keep on chanting to keep momentum of the heart beat. Then only slowly holding breathe.
danokchonger
post Jun 29 2017, 04:51 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,082 posts

QUOTE(Chrono-Trigger @ Jun 29 2017, 03:57 AM)
i am not aware of any meditation technique taught by the buddha that holds the breath, although the Buddha (before enlightenment) tried to hold his breath, to no success.
this is yoga practices.
Chrono-Trigger
post Jun 29 2017, 07:46 PM

PERPETUAL BEWILDERMENT
3,802 posts

QUOTE(danokchonger @ Jun 29 2017, 04:51 PM)
this is yoga practices.
Oh tq for the information
CoolMorning
post Jul 1 2017, 06:29 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(tankhebeng1 @ Jul 1 2017, 01:57 PM)
Anybody can enlighten me is there different between bai tian gong and buddhist

And is si mian fo and guan yin part of buddhist or lump together with bai tian gong
As far as I know, Guan Yin is Amitaba Buddha disciple. In our current world, Guan Yin too became the disciple of Gautama Buddha and agree to be the dharma protector until the coming of next Buddha Maitreya.

Meanwhile si mian fo, according to some Taiwanese masters is yin god. Loosely translated as uncertified being with supernatural power. Something like you must be recognized by higher authority (god or buddha I dunno).
SUSredisthcan
post Jul 1 2017, 07:11 PM

Casual
403 posts

QUOTE(tankhebeng1 @ Jul 1 2017, 01:57 PM)
Anybody can enlighten me is there different between bai tian gong and buddhist

And is si mian fo and guan yin part of buddhist or lump together with bai tian gong
Bai Tian Gong is Chinese folk religion, NOT Buddhism (and NOT Taoism, either).

Si Mian Fo is Hinduism.

Guan Yin is acknowledged by both Chinese folk religion and Buddhism (but NOT Taoism).
SUSredisthcan
post Jul 1 2017, 07:14 PM

Casual
403 posts

QUOTE(CoolMorning @ Jul 1 2017, 06:29 PM)
As far as I know, Guan Yin is Amitaba Buddha disciple. In our current world, Guan Yin too became the disciple of Gautama Buddha and agree to be the dharma protector until the coming of next Buddha Maitreya.

Meanwhile si mian fo, according to some Taiwanese masters is yin god. Loosely translated as uncertified being with supernatural power. Something like you must be recognized by higher authority (god or buddha I dunno).
The Four-Face 'Buddha' is actually the Hindu god Brahma.
CoolMorning
post Jul 1 2017, 07:24 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(nachtsider @ Jul 1 2017, 07:14 PM)
The Four-Face 'Buddha' is actually the Hindu god Brahma.
My previous post was based on some Taiwanese show few years ago. They talked about Thailand, black magic, ghost and god. The Taoist masters said Four-Face 'Buddha' is yin god (uncertified god). Some HK star did a nude dancing in front of him with intention of having a baby, etc.

I am not sure whether it true or otherwise.
SUSredisthcan
post Jul 1 2017, 07:43 PM

Casual
403 posts

QUOTE(CoolMorning @ Jul 1 2017, 07:24 PM)
My previous post was based on some Taiwanese show few years ago. They talked about Thailand, black magic, ghost and god. The Taoist masters said Four-Face 'Buddha' is yin god (uncertified god). Some HK star did a nude dancing in front of him with intention of having a baby, etc.

I am not sure whether it true or otherwise.
Taiwanese talk shows are loaded with bullshit, and Taoist masters are largely frauds.
CoolMorning
post Jul 1 2017, 07:48 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(nachtsider @ Jul 1 2017, 07:43 PM)
Taiwanese talk shows are loaded with bullshit, and Taoist masters are largely frauds.
Ha ha I don't know biggrin.gif
SUSredisthcan
post Jul 1 2017, 08:50 PM

Casual
403 posts

QUOTE(tankhebeng1 @ Jul 1 2017, 08:47 PM)
What is taoism?

So if i pray to tian gong, guan yin and si mian fo, means im actually anyhow praying?
Taoism is an acetic religion that champions harmonising with nature and the universe.

Yes, if you do that, you are mixing beer and wine, and should really stick to one faith.

One man cannot serve two masters.

119 Pages « < 85 86 87 88 89 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0249sec    0.12    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:29 AM