Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How to use Amazon Kindle 2 in Malaysia, The What, the Where, the Hows

views

TSstringfellow
post Jun 5 2009, 04:22 AM, updated 15y ago

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

I've just procured myself an Amazon Kindle 2, and seeing how I'm still tuned to the American time after the last trip, might as well write a review on how the Amazon Kindle 2, and possibly clear the air of the myth and possible misinformation on the the unit itself.

Features:-

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

1. The device is priced at USD359 and ships free within USA if can wait the shipping period of 3 days. For my stay, I had to rush it to overnight, for an additional USD20, raking up the price to USD379. The unit comes with a Quick-guide manual, a USA two-prong charger head that allows the provided USB cable to charge the device. Charge port is at the bottom of the unit.

2. I've also added this to my purchase:-

user posted image

which reflects the item it holds inside nicely with that Amazon Kindle logo outside the cover.

3. The process of which to register and start using your Kindle 2, particularly for usage OUTSIDE the coverage of Sprint's EVDO/3G Whispernet feature is pretty tricky. At first boot up of the device, while within coverage of Whispernet, you are offered to register your Kindle 2 wirelessly via Whispernet. This allows coupling of your Kindle 2 to a particular email address which holds an Amazon account. For American users, this account should hold no problems whatsoever since purchase of electronic books via Amazon requires a valid American-based credit card with validated US address to that particular credit card. There are several options to bypass this, one such option is to get a prepaid or virtual credit card with address based in the US, and topping up credit into that card using Malaysian credit card. This is tedious and heavily dependant on the third-party service provider doing the credit top-up to that account, which may incur additional charges.

4. A simpler way to alleviate problem mentioned in #3 is registering your Kindle 2 as if it is outside wireless coverage. But first you need to prepare a couple of things.

i) Register an email account that is devoid of any geographical markings/indications. This is usually marked by ***@yahoo.co.jp or similar, which marks geographical region. Tying your Kindle to an Amazon account linked to an email such as this will automatically disable your ability to purchase or download free books onto your Kindle 2. In my case, I used a freshly-made Gmail.com account, which is registered under US as the region when asked..

ii) You will also need two Amazon accounts. One is used to purchase Amazon gift cards, while the other is the receiving end of that gift card. For the Amazon account used to purchase the Gift cards, you can go ahead and register with Amazon, your Malaysian credit card. Let's name this Amazon Account A. Go through the registering process, which will tie up an email address to this Amazon account, Account A. Once that is done, register a second account, let's name this Amazon Account B. For Account B, use that freshly-made account from step i), and during registration, on ANY OCCASION when the registering process prompts for a geographical location, make sure you use a VALID US address. Google if you need to.

iii)Use Account A to purchase an Amazon Gift Card and when asked, emailed it either to yourself, or to the email attached to Amazon Account B. The only thing you need to make sure is that you need to make sure you can properly access the mailbox of that email address(es) so that you can retrieve the Gift Card code so that you can redeem them.

iv)Once you have retrieve the code, apply and redeem it on Account B, by logging into Account B, click "Your Account", and under "Payment" section, click "Apple Gift Certificate/Card to Your Account". Make sure the credit is redeem in by clicking "Your Account" and under the "Payment" section, click "View Gift Certificate/Card Balance".

v)Register your Kindle ONLINE by going to the "Digital Content" section in the "Your Account", and click "Manage your Kindle". Check at the back of your Kindle, and enter your Kindle's serial number to register.Make sure your Kindle is registered to Account B, not A. If you do make that mistake, you can click "Deregister" and rectify the situation. Under this section, will also appear the iPhone[s] and iPod Touch[es] registered to Account B. You can use your iPhone or iPod Touch to download and read your Kindle electronic material by downloading the "Kindle for iPhone" app from Apple's Appstore and registering your iPhone/iPod Touch to Account B. Your iPhone/iPod Touch will then sync with Account B and all its purchased content, and you will be able to download your Kindle-purchased content to these devices as well! This is useful when you dont have your Kindle with you and want to continue on reading your favourite books on these secondary devices. Bear in mind though, reading on iPhones or iPod Touches will result on eye-strain after prolonged period of time. The Kindle is designed to mimic book pages with its electronic ink and eliminate this problem of eye-strain.

vi) Log into your Account B. Set up the 1-Click Payment Method, by entering your credit card details(credit card number, expiry date, CVV/CVV2 number), BUT use the same US address you have used to create Amazon Account B. What happens here is , because you have applied and credit the Gift card purchased from Account A into Account B, Amazon will not attempt to authorize the card until your Gift Card credit has depleted. So always keep your account credit above ZERO and you will be fine. The minimum amount of Gift card credit available for purchase from Amazon is USD5.

vii)Go ahead and purchase your first Kindle book. Since you are outside of the wireless Whispernet coverage, once you click the "Buy Now with 1-Click" button, your purchase will go into your digital locker. Under "Your Account"/ "Manage Your Kindle", scroll down to the "Your Order" list, and your Kindle Book will be listed there. Click on the "+" sign next to the title to expand it, and under the "No Wireless Coverage?" will the "Download to Computer" button. Click that, and once the download is complete, plug in your Kindle using the USB cable that comes with it, to the computer and drag-and-drop the downloaded file (in .azw format) into the "Document" folder on your Kindle. You can also download Mobipocket and/or .prc ebooks wherever you can find them (I got mine from www.feedbooks.com/mobile) and drag-and-drop them into the same "Document" folder as well. Once you have unplugged your Kindle from your computer, your Kindle will auto-refresh and your books will come listed as "New!" in the "Home" screen. rclxms.gif

Voila! The key here is to make sure that Account B is devoid of any indication or address that points towards location outside of the USA, be it the email address registered to it (hence step i)), or the address used for the payment of the Kindle books (hence step ii)).

Besides its primary function as an excellent e-reader, Kindle 2 now also comes with Text-to-Speech, on supported Kindle books. Don't be mistaken, the Text-to-Speech is not dull or robotic, it mimics human speech and is very pleasant. Simply plug into a regular headphone/earbuds into your Kindle 2 and enjoy.

The Kindle 2 also able to play MP3s (non-DRM only) and surf the web, but web-surfing is strictly on the Whispernet network, hence therefore not available in Malaysia. But before you go ahead and start transferring your MP3s into your Kindle 2, bear in mind that Kindle 2 only holds 2GB of storage space, 1.4GB made available for the end user.

Also, since this process I have described also allots credit into your account, you can now buy other digital content on the Amazon, such as DRM-free high-bitrate MP3s or whole albums off Amazon! This nice side-effect allows you to purchase music off Amazon, which is priced at much cheaper pricetag compared to similarly tagged music off Apple's iTunes. Only please remember to keep your credit above ZERO, otherwise Amazon will start authorizing your credit card details on Account B and complicates things later.

Other than that, enjoy! I have been having tons of fun with my Kindle 2, and I bring it everywhere with me now. It is an excellent companion, and a great way (for me at least) to recapture my long lost love for reading. Kindle books are also priced WAAAAAAYYYYYY cheaper than the actual physical copy, and you are also doing your bit in helping the environment and greening your routine. IF you are hesitant, or am not sure what selections are available on the Amazon Kindle Store, check out what's available for your perusal here. PDF-reading is also available, there are two methods, free and 10-cents-per-transfer method. If anyone wants me to elaborate on that, I shall post that later, otherwise I believe Kindle book reading alone will eat a lot of your time, for the reading junkies among us. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by stringfellow: Jun 5 2009, 06:07 AM
SUSicyfawkes
post Jun 5 2009, 05:33 AM

- Model 03-
1,265 posts

Aaaahh~~~!!!

this is poisonous!!!

omg...i want one!!!

but at that price tag which is rm1k++++

i think i wont be getting it anymore... sad.gif
LEVIATHAN
post Jun 5 2009, 07:24 PM

Master Chief Carl M. Brashear
2,281 posts

Are the books something like those pirated pdf?
TSstringfellow
post Jun 8 2009, 01:50 AM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

Something like that. Only that when you convert and place them inside the Kindle, the page alignment and words don't get jumbled up (two words joined as one, weird punctuation marks, etc), plusyou feel warmer inside for supporting your favourite author. wink.gif

A lot of the classics are tagged as Free on the Amazon Kindle store, numbering over 7,000 titles. ZERO dollars to get them downloaded into your Kindle. There are other LEGAL WAYS to get your books FREE as well, without resorting to pirated PDFs.

This post has been edited by stringfellow: Jun 8 2009, 01:51 AM
feyhime
post Jun 8 2009, 10:08 AM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Elite
257 posts

Keep the pirated materials discussion off the post eh, LYN has strict policy over piracy, that includes books.
LEVIATHAN
post Jun 8 2009, 11:01 PM

2,281 posts

I don't mean to talk pirate stuff miss.

I just wanted to know how the Kindle books look. The easiest way is by comparing them with something I'm familiar with :-)

TQ.

Edit: Typo.

This post has been edited by LEVIATHAN: Jun 8 2009, 11:04 PM
henrytanaka
post Jun 11 2009, 11:03 AM

3 posts

Based on my understanding Kindle can't read any other type of files other than the one that is created by Amazon?

Can kindle actually open PDF files?
TSstringfellow
post Jun 12 2009, 02:26 AM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

Kindle can read Epub and Mobipocket files as well. Kindle 2 does read PDF, but not natively. you can either:-

1. Mail it back to Amazon, and they will email you back the document formatted back in .azw format.

OR

2. Use conversion apps to convert it to ePub or .Mobi files. On the Mac, I use Calibre.
dkliew
post Jun 17 2009, 03:35 AM

Getting Started
156 posts

get Kindle DX. it support all native PDF. means u can read chinese as well.
as long as it is picture converted biggrin.gif

but price is USD489~ but it can read 100MB PDF file at great speed. smile.gif

This post has been edited by dkliew: Jun 17 2009, 04:15 AM
SUSahjames
post Jun 17 2009, 10:09 AM

My Name James
1,337 posts

+ 9000 for this guide

i been wondering how to get kindle also.

now all i need is to fly over to US.
kohtp
post Jun 23 2009, 04:40 PM

20 posts

do i need to fly over to us to buy? i did buy some books from amazon from us before, there is no problem except the killing flight charges!

Added on June 24, 2009, 2:15 pmany comment? i quite ON to buy this stuff. icon_question.gif

This post has been edited by kohtp: Jun 24 2009, 02:15 PM
TSstringfellow
post Jun 25 2009, 01:30 AM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

QUOTE(kohtp @ Jun 23 2009, 04:40 PM)
do i need to fly over to us to buy? i did buy some books from amazon from us before, there is no problem except the killing flight charges!

Added on June 24, 2009, 2:15 pmany comment? i quite ON to buy this stuff.  icon_question.gif
Sorry late reply. I was busy in another section of the forum.

Unfortunately yes, you need an American shipping address to get the Kindle shipped to. Or you could use a mail-forwarding system to forward the Kindle package to an American address and mail-forward it to your address here. Or you could use services like VPost and the like to get it shipped here. Google these items up. smile.gif
kohtp
post Jun 25 2009, 10:16 AM

20 posts

thank a lot. i will google vpost shortly.

Any problems so far on your kindle? Can read Chinese?

This post has been edited by kohtp: Jun 25 2009, 10:43 AM
TSstringfellow
post Jun 25 2009, 09:59 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

No problems so far. I dont read Chinese.
LEVIATHAN
post Jul 18 2009, 08:00 AM

2,281 posts

It seems that Kindle has the infamous kill switch :-( Amazon deletes books from Kindle.

News at Engadget and Slashdot :-)
TSstringfellow
post Jul 21 2009, 04:59 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

What Amazon taketh, Australia giveth back again.

Trivial issue to me. Just a matter of flip-flopping by the publisher, most definitely for opportunities of milking the book's licensing further.

And oh, from the definition of "kill switch":-

A kill switch (also called an e-stop) is a security measure used to shut off a device in an emergency situation in which it cannot be shut down in the usual manner. Unlike a normal shut down, which shuts down all systems naturally and turns the machine off without damaging it, a kill switch is designed to completely abort the operation at all costs.

This scenario is FAR from that definition. I don't see my Kindle shutting down just because a publisher decides to pull their book off the Kindle circulation. And the advantage of operating the Kindle OUTSIDE the States, Amazon could not reach into my Kindle and erase my purchased "1984". Simply turn off "Wireless" and do it via Digital Locker. If you're paranoid much, then copy it off for safe-keeping elsewhere and sync it back in. Even better, use Amazon's own loophole, email it back to your Kindle email box, and get Amazon to re-email "1984" back to you, with everything intact, but now it is classified as your own personal document, that would not even be touched by Amazon.

The key here is to UNDERSTAND how the system works. Fear escalates only among the uninformed. icon_rolleyes.gif
LEVIATHAN
post Jul 23 2009, 07:42 PM

2,281 posts

Yeah good for you :-)
adliemi
post Jul 23 2009, 09:26 PM

18 posts

In order to have this.. we need to have an address in US? erm..
so I need to find any friends there..

Does this thing only for US market only?
TSstringfellow
post Oct 7 2009, 01:37 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

Amazon is now opening up predorder for the International Wireless version of the Kindle. Kindle for US is further price-slashed to USD259, which is without "international wireless". The new International Wireless version is priced at USD279.

What does all this means? This means that you can use the International Wireless version in "more than 100 countries worldwide" since it employs the usage of GSM network, tied to AT&T's roaming partners to these countries. The charges are still "free" inside continental US, but every book downloaded internationally via the international wireless provided by roaming partners of AT&T is charged USD1.99 per book/periodicals.

What does this means to those on the fence here in Malaysia? I've checked to see whether Amazon ships to Malaysia, and they still dont. The closest country is Australia. The allure of using the Whispernet download service internationally is not there for me, since they added the additional USD1.99 charge per book download everytime a book is downloaded wirelessly outside US. I think I'll stick to purchasing the books and download them from Amazon's Digital Locker.

For newcomers, it is an option though. It is just not enough an incentive to upgrade for roaming travellers like me.
SanosukeSagara
post Oct 7 2009, 02:12 PM

2008 2008
1,193 posts

Does Kindle (not DX) support native pdf? like DX do?
not9to5
post Oct 7 2009, 02:14 PM

45 posts

QUOTE(stringfellow @ Oct 7 2009, 01:37 PM)
Amazon is now opening up predorder for the International Wireless version of the Kindle. Kindle for US is further price-slashed to USD259, which is without "international wireless". The new International Wireless version is priced at USD279.

What does all this means? This means that you can use the International Wireless version in "more than 100 countries worldwide" since it employs the usage of GSM network, tied to AT&T's roaming partners to these countries. The charges are still "free" inside continental US, but every book downloaded internationally via the international wireless provided by roaming partners of AT&T is charged USD1.99 per book/periodicals.

What does this means to those on the fence here in Malaysia? I've checked to see whether Amazon ships to Malaysia, and they still dont. The closest country is Australia. The allure of using the Whispernet download service internationally is not there for me, since they added the additional USD1.99 charge per book download everytime a book is downloaded wirelessly outside US. I think I'll stick to purchasing the books and download them from Amazon's Digital Locker.

For newcomers, it is an option though. It is just not enough an incentive to upgrade for roaming travellers like me.
i was hoping to be able to buy via this new 'international wireless version' of the Kindle but alas, it was not to be:(

have to stick to buying paper versions i guess;)
SanosukeSagara
post Oct 7 2009, 02:15 PM

2008 2008
1,193 posts

Ya i was ecstatic when I saw the international version. I wish they do support Malaysia soon.
TSstringfellow
post Oct 7 2009, 03:07 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

QUOTE(SanosukeSagara @ Oct 7 2009, 02:12 PM)
Does Kindle (not DX) support native pdf? like DX do?
Native, no. Only the DX does that. Emailing yourself back the PDF or transferring the PDF via USB subjects it to the arrangement made by the Kindle to make it fit.
winniechen
post Oct 10 2009, 12:41 AM

Getting Started
95 posts

I read about your suggested "tweak" or "method" on getting the Kindle2 to work in Malaysia and Singapore on other blogs and sites, too. I feel it is rather troublesome and so many hoops and complications to go through to get it working. I feel like a hacker / pirate / thief.

However, I really really want to get the Kindle 2 or any other e-reader. I am a reading addict and go through a handful of books a month when I get in the mood. Bookcase also running out of space soon. So getting an e-reader would be perfect.

I feel like I should wait until Amazon officially ship and offer Whispernet to Malaysia. I can also guarantee better support and warranty that way, just in case. Anyone knows when this will happen?

Then, I also started browsing for other competitive products. Other than the niche market products like Hanlin, BeBook and Sony e-reader, I also hear that Apple will be coming up with their version early next year. I know that e-reader will be one of those gadgets that will eventually take the lifecycle of mp3 players in future.

Should I get the Kindle 2 now and upgrade to a different one later when a better alternative is more widely available? It would cost money though, but if it's a worth purchase, I don't mind. Any suggestions?
xjairo
post Oct 10 2009, 03:07 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(winniechen @ Oct 10 2009, 12:41 AM)
I read about your suggested "tweak" or "method" on getting the Kindle2 to work in Malaysia and Singapore on other blogs and sites, too. I feel it is rather troublesome and so many hoops and complications to go through to get it working. I feel like a hacker / pirate / thief.

However, I really really want to get the Kindle 2 or any other e-reader. I am a reading addict and go through a handful of books a month when I get in the mood. Bookcase also running out of space soon. So getting an e-reader would be perfect.

I feel like I should wait until Amazon officially ship and offer Whispernet to Malaysia. I can also guarantee better support and warranty that way, just in case. Anyone knows when this will happen?

Then, I also started browsing for other competitive products. Other than the niche market products like Hanlin, BeBook and Sony e-reader, I also hear that Apple will be coming up with their version early next year. I know that e-reader will be one of those gadgets that will eventually take the lifecycle of mp3 players in future.

Should I get the Kindle 2 now and upgrade to a different one later when a better alternative is more widely available? It would cost money though, but if it's a worth purchase, I don't mind. Any suggestions?
I'm debating myself on whether or not I should get the Kindle 2 or wait out. But who knows how long it's going to take? I was so excited when I read about this new edition only to see it's not supported in Malaysia. What a letdown.
TSstringfellow
post Oct 18 2009, 06:24 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

QUOTE(winniechen @ Oct 10 2009, 12:41 AM)

they are not complicated. If you want it in a simpler term, make two accounts, one to fed the credit, the other to purchase the books. Purchased books are loaded into a virtual location where you can download them into your Kindle. Simple.

The new development of international roaming, does not come without its price. Even if it does come to Malaysia, every book downloaded now comes with additional USD1.99 per download. That inflates the price, to some, enough to warrant discounting the attractiveness of buying e-book edition and go straight for paperbacks.

Amazon took its own sweet time opening up international roaming for Kindle. Three years. IIANM. That is also part of because the added pressure from other players in the market (Sony, Barnes & Nobles' Plastic Logic e-reader, etc). Tying up a deal with a local telco for Whispernet is as expeditious as how the iPhone makes its way to Malaysia: snail-pacingly slow. If you are just dealing with Whispernet, the alternative service, called Whispersync, available on the iPhone is available for free, which turns the iPhone into an e-book reader as well. It syncs all your Amazon e-book purchase to your iPhone. Problem is, to me at least, is the iPhone screen is not favourable for extended reading period.

QUOTE(xjairo @ Oct 10 2009, 03:07 AM)
I'm debating myself on whether or not I should get the Kindle 2 or wait out. But who knows how long it's going to take? I was so excited when I read about this new edition only to see it's not supported in Malaysia. What a letdown.
Read my post above. Amazon dont operate on a predicatable timetable when it comes to international releases.
dzulkifly
post Oct 18 2009, 10:34 PM

0 posts

Stringfellow, so far you have provided me excellent advice. I've done the following:
- ordered the Kindle via my Amazon a/c (Malaysian a/c)
- got it forwarded to a friend in the US
- US friend has shipped to me in KL
- after receiving it, gifted it to my wife :-)
- she followed your advice to register a non-international email a/c
- she followed your advice to register Account A & Account B at Amazon

BUT now she is stuck, because she is attempting to register the Kindle device to Account B as per your advice, BUT Amazon is letting her know that the Kindle has automatically been registered. I suspect the Kindle was auto registered when I bought it out of my account. Any idea how to 'un-register' it so she can register it to her Account B?

Please help. She was so excited and now we are stuck at the last few steps to set it up.

thx
Dzul

Added on October 18, 2009, 10:37 pm
QUOTE(dzulkifly @ Oct 18 2009, 10:34 PM)
Stringfellow, so far you have provided me excellent advice. I've done the following:
- ordered the Kindle via my Amazon a/c (Malaysian a/c)
- got it forwarded to a friend in the US
- US friend has shipped to me in KL
- after receiving it, gifted it to my wife :-)
- she followed your advice to register a non-international email a/c
- she followed your advice to register Account A & Account B at Amazon

BUT now she is stuck, because she is attempting to register the Kindle device to Account B as per your advice, BUT Amazon is letting her know that the Kindle has automatically been registered. I suspect the Kindle  was auto registered when I bought it out of my account. Any idea how to 'un-register' it so she can register it to her Account B?

Please help. She was so excited and now we are stuck at the last few steps to set it up.

thx
Dzul
This is the print screen:
Your Kindle can only be registered to one Amazon.com account and is currently registered to another user account. If you received this Kindle as a gift it may have been automatically registered to the person who purchased the gift for you. Before it can be registered to your account you must deregister it from the current account. You can deregister the Kindle wirelessly right from the device by following these steps:

Turn the power and wireless switches on the back of the Kindle to the On position.
Visit the Home screen by clicking the house icon on the keyboard.
Click on the "Menu" option using the scroll wheel.
From the menu select "Settings."
From "Settings" page, click on deregister.
After the Kindle is deregistered, you can then register your kindle to your Amazon.com account via that same "Settings" page.

If you are still unable to register, please contact customer service at 1-866-321-8851.
Register a new Kindle

This post has been edited by dzulkifly: Oct 18 2009, 10:37 PM
TSstringfellow
post Oct 19 2009, 02:58 AM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

If it is registered to your account, log into your Amazon account. Click on "Your Account" link on the top right, and click "Manage Your Kindle" once you are on that page.

If your Kindle is registered to this account, there will the name of the Kindle on the first table you see on that page, and a "Deregister" link. Click on that link to deregister the Kindle off this account.

LOG OFF this account, and log into the account you want to register your Kindle with. The same procedure again, click "Your Account" and "Manage Your Kindle", and you will come to the page where there is a window to enter a 16-digit serial number for your Kindle. Follow your instruction manual on where to find this serial number. Once this is done, the Kindle will be registered to this account. All you need to do now is to test it out to see if the account for downloading your Kindle books.

At the top, the "Search" window should already have "Kindle Books" as the preselected search parameter. Do a search or browse through the Kindle catalogue for a free Kindle book to download. Click to purchase. There had been conflicting stories of some users being able to use the "1-Click" feature to immediately purchase free Kindle books, while others are saying that you need to top up credit into the account and make your first purchase first before you can use the "1-Click" purchase to even buy free Kindle books. Test it out to see if your "1-Click" purchase works, otherwise, you may have to top up your credit to make your first purchase. USD10 should be enough, and I recommend Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol" for USD9.90 if you're thinking of a particular book.

Do this, and click "Manage Your Kindle" again. Scroll down to the bottom to see the list of purchase you have made under "Your Order". Under each title, there is a dropdown menu that allows you to deliver to any of the registered devices that is tied to this account, or transfer them to your computer. I have 4 devices registered to my account, my Kindle 2 and my iPhone and 2 iPod Touches. For iPhone and iPod Touch, they are delivered via Whispersync wireless through the native app on the iPhone/iPod Touch. You need to register these devices first to the account you want to sync to. But in your case, choose "Transfer to Computer". A download will begin, and you can then drag-and-drop the .AZW file into your Kindle 2, connected via USB. Your Kindle will appear as a storage device on your computer.
dzulkifly
post Oct 19 2009, 03:48 PM

0 posts

Thx so much, we managed to succesfully deregister and reregister as per your advice.

But what has NOT been succesful is that we have not been able to find the gift card credit (I tested with US$15 first) in her Account B. Despite seeing that in Account A the gift order has actuallly been made. As of this reply, its already been 15 hours. Does it take this long normally for gift cards to be credited to the recipient's account? Or should wait until 24 hours to check again?
TSstringfellow
post Oct 19 2009, 04:15 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

The credit will be delivered in the form of redeem code into your Account B's email address. It should only take less than 2 hours to arrive, sometimes instantaneous.

The credit will not appear as credit in Account B until it is redeemed into it. Think of it as your prepaid code for your cellphone.
xjairo
post Oct 19 2009, 05:25 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(stringfellow @ Oct 18 2009, 06:24 PM)
Read my post above. Amazon dont operate on a predicatable timetable when it comes to international releases.
Thanks.

Speaking of Plastic Logic, I did some research about it. It's very intriguing. The size is a bit big, in my opinion. I think I'm going to wait for that to release and see what they have to offer. The Sony Reader Touch Edition is really interesting too. Obviously because of the swiping action to turn the page and the ability to write on screen. But I can't make up my mind still on which one to get.

The IRex iliad looks really good too, but it costs a bomb.

This post has been edited by xjairo: Oct 19 2009, 05:26 PM
TSstringfellow
post Oct 19 2009, 07:41 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

For me my choice is largely swayed by the content provider. At the time of this post, only Amazon has a coherent distribution system. The rest rely on the user end to find ways to provide content for their readers.

Don't get me wrong. I am orgasmic for Plastic Logic reader. I just hope that Barnes & Nobles distribution system is as awesome as their reader.
dzulkifly
post Oct 20 2009, 10:51 AM

0 posts

Stringfellow, so far you've been a great help. I have now been able to credit the gift card into the Amazon account. Silly me should have known how to retrieve the gift card redemption code. Exactly like you said, its like a prepaid code.

However the most frustrating part now, is that whenever I click on a Kindle Book, then select Buy now with 1-Click, the following results (see attachment):

"XXX, please contact us or change your country to complete your purchase
You attempted to purchase an item while in a different country than listed on your Amazon account"

I think I've done everything correctly:
-entered a US address for the Amazon Account B registration
-entered a US address for the credit card billing address listed in Account B
-even entered a US phone number into the same fields

Is Amazon trying to match the non-US credit card to a US address, than failing to pass? But if the gift card credits are already sufficient, why is Amazon trying to verify this then?

Or is Amazon going back to the source of the email address for Account B, which is a gmail account and somehow can detect that the gmail account is not from within the US.? How is that possible?

Pls help! icon_question.gif
SHAFT111
post Oct 20 2009, 07:13 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(dzulkifly @ Oct 20 2009, 10:51 AM)
Stringfellow, so far you've been a great help. I have now been able to credit the gift card into the Amazon account. Silly me should have known how to retrieve the gift card redemption code. Exactly like you said, its like a prepaid code.

However the most frustrating part now, is that whenever I click on a Kindle Book, then select Buy now with 1-Click, the following results (see attachment):

"XXX, please contact us or change your country to complete your purchase
You attempted to purchase an item while in a different country than listed on your Amazon account"

I think I've done everything correctly:
-entered a US address for the Amazon Account B registration
-entered a US address for the credit card billing address listed in Account B
-even entered a US phone number into the same fields

Is Amazon trying to match the non-US credit card to a US address, than failing to pass? But if the gift card credits are already sufficient, why is Amazon trying to verify this then?

Or is Amazon going back to the source of the email address for Account B, which is a gmail account and somehow can detect that the gmail account is not from within the US.? How is that possible?

Pls help!  icon_question.gif
Amazon is checking the ip address of the orders. Try using Hotspot Shield www.hotspotshield.com to circumvent this. Download the app install then launch your browser again .Log into amazon with your b account. Make sure hotspotshield is connected. It worked for me
dzulkifly
post Oct 20 2009, 11:06 PM

0 posts

Thx Shaft111

It seems that hotspotshield only protects our IP identity when we are anonymously browsing. But I think as soon as we sign in to a site, such as our Amazon account, then our IP is revealed again. Cause after your advice, I downloaded hotspotshield. But still getting the same message from Amazon.

Am so frustrated, paid so much for the Kindle but cant get any Kindle books yet.....
SHAFT111
post Oct 20 2009, 11:34 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(dzulkifly @ Oct 20 2009, 11:06 PM)
Thx Shaft111

It seems that hotspotshield only protects our IP identity when we are anonymously browsing. But I think as soon as we sign in to a site, such as our Amazon account, then our IP is revealed again. Cause after your advice, I downloaded hotspotshield. But still getting the same message from Amazon.

Am so frustrated, paid so much for the Kindle but cant get any Kindle books yet.....
hmmm strange indeed. Did you check if hotspot shield is on? It worked for me. When browsing in kindle store the country of origin tab on upper left hand side of page should be united states. Make sure the privacy setting on the hotspot tab is on and connected.
dzulkifly
post Oct 21 2009, 12:10 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(SHAFT111 @ Oct 20 2009, 11:34 PM)
hmmm strange indeed. Did you check if hotspot shield is on? It worked for me. When browsing in kindle store the country of origin tab on upper left hand side of page should be united states. Make sure the privacy setting on the hotspot tab is on and connected.
tq tq tq tq tq, you guys are awesome

After many pinging back and forth the hotspot shield finally went green in colour from only yellow. Strange why it took a while. Then finally the Kindle Book went into Your Orders.

And I finally got the .azw file! But before I can say job completed for the first time some last problem occured! I must be jinxed!!

My notebook doesnt recognise the USB device (the Kindle), faulty or something. But when I plugged into my desktop it works, so it must be my notebook. Can I ask a dumb question, does the Kindle have a separate driver software as it seems like the way its marketed is as a plug and play device.

Added on October 21, 2009, 12:21 am
QUOTE(dzulkifly @ Oct 21 2009, 12:10 AM)

After many pinging back and forth the hotspot shield finally went green in colour from only yellow. Strange why it took a while. Then finally the Kindle Book went into Your Orders.

And I finally got the .azw file! But before I can say job completed for the first time some last problem occured! I must be jinxed!!

My notebook doesnt recognise the USB device (the Kindle), faulty or something. But when I plugged into my desktop it works, so it must be my notebook. Can I ask a dumb question, does the Kindle have a separate driver software as it seems like the way its marketed is as a plug and play device.
SHAFT111, STRINGFELLOW - you guys are geniuses. notworthy.gif I finally got the book on to the Kindle. So from now on a) the process is already set up b) always remember to have gift card credits topped up, and c) DO THE FINAL PURCHASE WITH HOTSPOTSHIELD ON to avoid IP recognition.

we both go through normal books like crazy, so this will save us buckets! and look cool while doing it rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by dzulkifly: Oct 21 2009, 12:21 AM
xjairo
post Oct 21 2009, 03:14 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(stringfellow @ Oct 19 2009, 07:41 PM)
For me my choice is largely swayed by the content provider. At the time of this post, only Amazon has a coherent distribution system. The rest rely on the user end to find ways to provide content for their readers.

Don't get me wrong. I am orgasmic for Plastic Logic reader. I just hope that Barnes & Nobles distribution system is as awesome as their reader.
Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

The Plastic Logic is so awesome I could drown in my own drool.

Edit: Just got the email from Barnes and Nobles. The new Nook eReader. Looks pretty cool.

This post has been edited by xjairo: Oct 21 2009, 08:39 PM
annown
post Oct 22 2009, 12:24 PM

5 posts

Hi there. Does any one of you know where to get a Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, U.S. & International Wireless, Latest Generation) ....

Am thinking of getting one, but not sure whether I should or not. Please do help as I'm quite confused here, and new with Kindle.

Thanks loads smile.gif
TSstringfellow
post Oct 23 2009, 01:55 AM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

Thanks to Shaft for helping out Dzul. Enjoy your Kindle, Dzul, I know I am enjoying every minute of mine. 354 books and counting. Reading "Altered Carbon" by Richard Morgan now. Very cyberpunkish.

Annown, the Amazon Kindle you are referring to, is currently only shipping in the States. The only difference now is that instead of the old Sprint Whispernet network, it uses AT&T now, with international roaming. Not a good deal because every book downloads incur a USD1.99 additional charge. You will need someone to pick up the Kindle over on an American address, and ship it out to you to Malaysia.
SHAFT111
post Oct 23 2009, 02:39 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(dzulkifly @ Oct 21 2009, 12:10 AM)

Added on October 21, 2009, 12:21 am
SHAFT111, STRINGFELLOW - you guys are geniuses. notworthy.gif  I finally got the book on to the Kindle. So from now on a) the process is already set up b) always remember to have gift card credits topped up, and c) DO THE FINAL PURCHASE WITH HOTSPOTSHIELD ON to avoid IP recognition.

we both go through normal books like crazy, so this will save us buckets! and look cool while doing it  rolleyes.gif
My pleasure dzul though i must say Stringfellow did the lion's share of the assist with his very useful and informative guide on how to get the kindle to work here. I must say that it is only of late that amazon has instituted ip checking
and it is certainly a little cause for concern

Added on October 23, 2009, 2:53 pm
QUOTE(stringfellow @ Oct 23 2009, 01:55 AM)
Thanks to Shaft for helping out Dzul. Enjoy your Kindle, Dzul, I know I am enjoying every minute of mine. 354 books and counting. Reading "Altered Carbon" by Richard Morgan now. Very cyberpunkish.

Annown, the Amazon Kindle you are referring to, is currently only shipping in the States. The only difference now is that instead of the old Sprint Whispernet network, it uses AT&T now, with international roaming. Not a good deal because every book downloads incur a USD1.99 additional charge. You will need someone to pick up the Kindle over on an American address, and ship it out to you to Malaysia.

Again my pleasure String. It is such a shame that we have to go through so much just to get the kindle to work here in this age of globalization. It boggles the mind that we can easily import physical books by the same authors , same publishers, same retail outlets and yet forced to resort to loopholes to get the equivalent ebooks.

Unfortunately the situation appears to be the same with the recently launched Nook from Barnes and Noble .
A pity really Nook looks really sleek and sexy. But i think i will stick to amazon for now just for its extensive and comprehensive ebook library

This post has been edited by SHAFT111: Oct 23 2009, 02:53 PM
razlanabas
post Nov 2 2009, 10:27 AM

3 posts

Kindle International in Malaysia

It works here!

USD259

they will not deliver to Malaysia.

but if you buy it and collect in US or Australia and bring it to Malaysia it will work here.

see my post at http://simply-whack.blogspot.com/2009/10/a...n-malaysia.html

enjoy!!

Added on November 2, 2009, 10:28 amthis is what i posted in my blog http://simply-whack.blogspot.com/2009/10/a...n-malaysia.html

Amazon Kindle in Malaysia

Yes, it does work here!

I was able to get Amazon to deliver to me a Kindle International unit to me while I was in USA during the launch on 19 Oct.

If you browse the Kindle website you will get this message when choosing Malaysia:

Malaysia
Unfortunately, we are currently unable to ship Kindles or offer Kindle content in Malaysia.

I shall not post a review of the Kindle device itself, there are many online. Suffice to say , it is a nice device and does what it says it does, and does it well. And it has a few surprises.

Amazon originally billed USD279 for the device plus free shipping, but then refunded USD20 after they lowered the prices after shipping the device. I received it in Miami on Fri 23 Oct.

The device powered up nicely but I was unable to see any books, magazines or periodicals for sale. I thought this was due to some congestion or all the new users logging in simultaneously. What happens is that Amazon offers stuff to you based upon your residency. I guess that the way these things are sold worldwide are on a territorial basis. So Amazon have different offerings and pricing for different locations around the world. Just as they will not deliver a kindle to Malaysia, if you are registered in Amazon as being in Malaysia then the store offers you zilch. So , you need to update your location on the Amazon kindle website as being in USA. Once i did that I was able to see the 367,940 books available, browse internet (yes an experiment)

So using the device worked in the USA.

During the flight to Kuala Lumpur, we transit in Taipei.

The kindle works on the GSM system. It finds a GSM network itself and you are online. So it was online in Taipei. It just does it itself, like a good phone will. In Taipei I got several messages which advised me to pay USD4.99 per week to get unlimited deliveries while travelling overseas. So if you want to be super mobile and get stuff anywhere, there is a cost for being outside the USA. However Kindle stores any items online and you plug into a computer through a USB device and download any item via the internet.

I have been getting daily copies of the Wall Street Journal and reading it on the kindle daily.

The power is 110-240V and also powers from the USB.

So, in summary. You can use the KIndle International in Malaysia. You need work out how to deliver it to a US address (australia works too) and change your location to USA to be delivered stuff online, or pay more for wireless delivery.

One caveat, the nook has been announced by Barnes and Noble. It will be launched in Nov 09. I sam copies of the brochure at a Barnes & Noble store in Los Angeles and it looks very nice, including a colour portion of the screen and touch screen as oppose to the Kindle QWERTY keys.

It looks good.

This post has been edited by razlanabas: Nov 2 2009, 10:28 AM
whippersnapper
post Nov 4 2009, 11:05 AM

1 posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Amazon says:
U.S. customers will be charged a fee of $1.99 for international downloads.
For non-U.S. customers, there are also no additional charges for wireless delivery in or outside your home country.
So I don't think you get charged $1.99 per book wirelessly downloaded if you use the international Kindle.

And last I checked, they actually ship to countries closer to Malaysia than Australia too. I saw Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macao, Phillipines and even Laos blink.gif Stupidly no Malaysia or Singapore vmad.gif

On another note, I got a Kindle 2 for $299 when I went to the US 3 months ago doh.gif No wireless outside US as well...Haven't tried buying any books from the Kindle store when I got back yet though (I'm still reading my free classics, haha). Interesting that they detect your IP when you buy from the Kindle Store, I bought mp3 songs using my gift card without that problem.
amoeba98
post Nov 4 2009, 02:16 PM

17 posts

Any idea on when will Kindle 2 launched in Malaysia? Really hope to get one and skip the fuss buying from US...It took 2 years to launch IPhone..i hope i don't have to wait that long for Kindle 2 as well
pspismything
post Nov 5 2009, 09:41 PM

0 posts

Hi there. I am surprised to know that there are actually quite a number of readers in Malaysia who are interested in the Kindle.
I am Malaysian and work in Japan. I have been doing private imports of Kindle and selling them to Japanese who wants them.
I think I am in the position to offer my service to fellow Malaysians who really want the Kindle.
If you guys out there want to talk about this in detail please reply. I can provide you with my email address.
fyrogenesis
post Dec 7 2009, 11:11 AM

Getting Started
158 posts

Hi stringfellow, thanks for the article! rclxms.gif

i have one question though, will your trick works on Kindle DX?

TSstringfellow
post Dec 24 2009, 06:03 PM

Ultrawide | 4K | VR
11,305 posts

It works on any Kindle, as long as the procedure ties the Kindle to an Amazon account.

Lately, Amazon have been implementing geographic IP check for purchasing ebooks off their Kindle Store. This is again, easily bypassed by using US-based proxies or VPN. I used Anchorfree Hotspot Shield to spoof an American US IP while doing the purchase, and it went through.
razlanabas
post Dec 24 2009, 11:18 PM

3 posts

Merry Christmas,

I recently travelled to Singapore, Indonesia and Australia with the Kindle International. I was not able to get any signal in Indonesia but was fine in Singapore and Australia.

During the time in Australia, i subscribed to the USD4.99 weekly connection fee and had periodicals and newspaper subscriptions delivered wirelessly ok.

I browsed the Amazon site and purchased two books and they charge the extra USD1.99 wireless download.

One useful thing is that the experimental web browser works and do not cost anything to use. So i was able to Gmail, Twitter and Facebook during this period.

I emailed Amazon about my problem in Indonesia and they replied promptly with an easter egg how to find the list of GSM Carriers signals and connect. The trick is to be in the settings page, then key in 311...

I believe the kindle is a sign of the future tablets and devices that will connect online via GSM but not for voice...
mguivono
post Dec 28 2009, 01:05 AM

25 posts

any ideas for Plastic Logic?
i think it looks real cool but i dont really know about the differences of functions between it and other
mangkuk_cyber
post Mar 19 2010, 03:30 PM

2 posts

Just downloaded Kindle for PC yesterday and manage to purchase Kindle book without using any VPN spoof. Planning to buy Kindle2 soon =). The only problem is, i cant download the .azw file into my computer coz the "No Wireless Coverage?" doesnt appear at all, there is only "Send wirelessly to Kindle" and "Delete this title" button. May i know why? Hope you guyz here could explain it into details. Thank you!

Edited: My Kindle 2 arrived safely on 29 March! Yeahaaa!

This post has been edited by mangkuk_cyber: Apr 5 2010, 11:01 AM
MelaniePutra
post Apr 25 2010, 06:17 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(stringfellow @ Jun 5 2009, 04:22 AM)
I've just procured myself an Amazon Kindle 2, and seeing how I'm still tuned to the American time after the last trip, might as well write a review on how the Amazon Kindle 2, and possibly clear the air of the myth and possible misinformation on the the unit itself.

1. The device is priced at USD359 and ships free within USA if can wait the shipping period of 3 days. For my stay, I had to rush it to overnight, for an additional USD20, raking up the price to USD379. The unit comes with a Quick-guide manual, a USA two-prong charger head that allows the provided USB cable to charge the device. Charge port is at the bottom of the unit.

user posted image

which reflects the item it holds inside nicely with that Amazon Kindle logo outside the cover.

3. The process of which to register and start using your Kindle 2, particularly for usage OUTSIDE the coverage of Sprint's EVDO/3G Whispernet feature is pretty tricky. At first boot up of the device, while within coverage of Whispernet, you are offered to register your Kindle 2 wirelessly via Whispernet. This allows coupling of your Kindle 2 to a particular email address which holds an Amazon account. For American users, this account should hold no problems whatsoever since purchase of electronic books via Amazon requires a valid American-based credit card with validated US address to that particular credit card. There are several options to bypass this, one such option is to get a prepaid or virtual credit card with address based in the US, and topping up credit into that card using Malaysian credit card. This is tedious and heavily dependant on the third-party service provider doing the credit top-up to that account, which may incur additional charges.

4. A simpler way to alleviate problem mentioned in #3 is registering your Kindle 2 as if it is outside wireless coverage. But first you need to prepare a couple of things.

i) Register an email account that is devoid of any geographical markings/indications. This is usually marked by ***@yahoo.co.jp or similar, which marks geographical region. Tying your Kindle to an Amazon account linked to an email such as this will automatically disable your ability to purchase or download free books onto your Kindle 2. In my case, I used a freshly-made Gmail.com account, which is registered under US as the region when asked..

ii) You will also need two Amazon accounts. One is used to purchase Amazon gift cards, while the other is the receiving end of that gift card. For the Amazon account used to purchase the Gift cards, you can go ahead and register with Amazon, your Malaysian credit card. Let's name this Amazon Account A. Go through the registering process, which will tie up an email address to this Amazon account, Account A. Once that is done, register a second account, let's name this Amazon Account B. For Account B, use that freshly-made account from step i), and during registration, on ANY OCCASION when the registering process prompts for a geographical location, make sure you use a VALID US address. Google if you need to.

iii)Use Account A to purchase an Amazon Gift Card and when asked, emailed it either to yourself, or to the email attached to Amazon Account B. The only thing you need to make sure is that you need to make sure you can properly access the mailbox of that email address(es) so that you can retrieve the Gift Card code so that you can redeem them.

iv)Once you have retrieve the code, apply and redeem it on Account B, by logging into Account B, click "Your Account", and under "Payment" section, click "Apple Gift Certificate/Card to Your Account". Make sure the credit is redeem in by clicking "Your Account" and under the "Payment" section, click "View Gift Certificate/Card Balance".

v)Register your Kindle ONLINE by going to the "Digital Content" section in the "Your Account", and click "Manage your Kindle". Check at the back of your Kindle, and enter your Kindle's serial number to register.Make sure your Kindle is registered to Account B, not A. If you do make that mistake, you can click "Deregister" and rectify the situation. Under this section, will also appear the iPhone[s] and iPod Touch[es] registered to Account B. You can use your iPhone or iPod Touch to download and read your Kindle electronic material by downloading the "Kindle for iPhone" app from Apple's Appstore and registering your iPhone/iPod Touch to Account B. Your iPhone/iPod Touch will then sync with Account B and all its purchased content, and you will be able to download your Kindle-purchased content to these devices as well! This is useful when you dont have your Kindle with you and want to continue on reading your favourite books on these secondary devices. Bear in mind though, reading on iPhones or iPod Touches will result on eye-strain after prolonged period of time. The Kindle is designed to mimic book pages with its electronic ink and eliminate this problem of eye-strain.

vi) Log into your Account B. Set up the 1-Click Payment Method, by entering your credit card details(credit card number, expiry date, CVV/CVV2 number), BUT use the same US address you have used to create Amazon Account B. What happens here is , because you have applied and credit the Gift card purchased from Account A into Account B, Amazon will not attempt to authorize the card until your Gift Card credit has depleted. So always keep your account credit above ZERO and you will be fine. The minimum amount of Gift card credit available for purchase from Amazon is USD5.

vii)Go ahead and purchase your first Kindle book. Since you are outside of the wireless Whispernet coverage, once you click the "Buy Now with 1-Click" button, your purchase will go into your digital locker. Under "Your Account"/ "Manage Your Kindle", scroll down to the "Your Order" list, and your Kindle Book will be listed there. Click on the "+" sign next to the title to expand it, and under the "No Wireless Coverage?" will the "Download to Computer" button. Click that, and once the download is complete, plug in your Kindle using the USB cable that comes with it, to the computer and drag-and-drop the downloaded file (in .azw format) into the "Document" folder on your Kindle. You can also download Mobipocket and/or .prc ebooks wherever you can find them (I got mine from www.feedbooks.com/mobile) and drag-and-drop them into the same "Document" folder as well. Once you have unplugged your Kindle from your computer, your Kindle will auto-refresh and your books will come listed as "New!" in the "Home" screen. rclxms.gif

Voila! The key here is to make sure that Account B is devoid of any indication or address that points towards location outside of the USA, be it the email address registered to it (hence step i)), or the address used for the payment of the Kindle books (hence step ii)).

Besides its primary function as an excellent e-reader, Kindle 2 now also comes with Text-to-Speech, on supported Kindle books. Don't be mistaken, the Text-to-Speech is not dull or robotic, it mimics human speech and is very pleasant. Simply plug into a regular headphone/earbuds into your Kindle 2 and enjoy.

The Kindle 2 also able to play MP3s (non-DRM only) and surf the web, but web-surfing is strictly on the Whispernet network, hence therefore not available in Malaysia. But before you go ahead and start transferring your MP3s into your Kindle 2, bear in mind that Kindle 2 only holds 2GB of storage space, 1.4GB made available for the end user.

Also, since this process I have described also allots credit into your account, you can now buy other digital content on the Amazon, such as DRM-free high-bitrate MP3s or whole albums off Amazon! This nice side-effect allows you to purchase music off Amazon, which is priced at much cheaper pricetag compared to similarly tagged music off Apple's iTunes. Only please remember to keep your credit above ZERO, otherwise Amazon will start authorizing your credit card details  on Account B and complicates things later.

Other than that, enjoy! I have been having tons of fun with my Kindle 2, and I bring it everywhere with me now. It is an excellent companion, and a great way (for me at least) to recapture my long lost love for reading. Kindle books are also priced WAAAAAAYYYYYY cheaper than the actual physical copy, and you are also doing your bit in helping the environment and greening your routine. IF you are hesitant, or am not sure what selections are available on the Amazon Kindle Store, check out what's available for your perusal here. PDF-reading is also available, there are two methods, free and 10-cents-per-transfer method. If anyone wants me to elaborate on that, I shall post that later, otherwise I believe Kindle book reading alone will eat a lot of your time, for the reading junkies among us. biggrin.gif
whippersnapper
post May 2 2010, 05:49 PM

1 posts

Nice old thread, I used this to buy my Kindle when I was in the US.

An update on the status of Kindle 2 now: The price is now USD $259 (RM825 as of today), with international 3G wireless. They ship internationally but not to Malaysia or Singapore yet doh.gif If you have friends in other countries, you can ask them to buy it for you brows.gif Check whether it's available in a particular country here.

More importantly, with Firmware 2.0 (released last year), it can open PDF files, but no pan/zoom yet (coming soon in Firmware v2.5!). Orientation of the page can be changed manually, so opening a PDF in landscape mode helps to enlarge the text and images.

Kindle Firmware v2.5 is supposed to come out this late May, and will include PDF pan and zoom. Another nice feature is collections. Now is a happy time to be a Kindle user rclxms.gif Too bad annotation for PDF's are still missing. Oh well, you can't have everything in life tongue.gif

I also used the Unicode Font Hack to enable reading in Chinese/Japanese. The Mobile Read forum is a nice place to check out ebook readers in general, and there is a subforum on Amazon Kindles.

This post has been edited by whippersnapper: May 2 2010, 05:53 PM
bryant_liew8
post May 4 2010, 05:42 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(whippersnapper @ May 2 2010, 05:49 PM)
Nice old thread, I used this to buy my Kindle when I was in the US.

An update on the status of Kindle 2 now: The price is now USD $259 (RM825 as of today), with international 3G wireless. They ship internationally but not to Malaysia or Singapore yet doh.gif If you have friends in other countries, you can ask them to buy it for you  brows.gif Check whether it's available in a particular country here.

More importantly, with Firmware 2.0 (released last year), it can open PDF files, but no pan/zoom yet (coming soon in Firmware v2.5!). Orientation of the page can be changed manually, so opening a PDF in landscape mode helps to enlarge the text and images.

Kindle Firmware v2.5 is supposed to come out this late May, and will include PDF pan and zoom. Another nice feature is collections. Now is a happy time to be a Kindle user rclxms.gif Too bad annotation for PDF's are still missing. Oh well, you can't have everything in life  tongue.gif

I also used the Unicode Font Hack to enable reading in Chinese/Japanese. The Mobile Read forum is a nice place to check out ebook readers in general, and there is a subforum on Amazon Kindles.
hi whippersnapper,how to upgrade ur kindle 2 firmware in malaysia since we can't use it's wireless connection?
whippersnapper
post May 4 2010, 11:09 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(bryant_liew8 @ May 4 2010, 05:42 PM)
hi whippersnapper,how to upgrade ur kindle 2 firmware in malaysia since we can't use it's wireless connection?
For firmware v2.0, Amazon sent me a notification email with a link to download the update file. I then connected my Kindle to the computer via USB to update it manually (instructions were given by Amazon).

Note that if you've done any hacks you have to uninstall the hacks first before you can update.
Now waiting for v2.5 biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by whippersnapper: May 4 2010, 11:10 PM
MelaniePutra
post May 5 2010, 02:47 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

Hi Stringfellow,

Your guidance for Malaysian users of Kindle is very clear, thanks! However, I am contemplating between Kindle and Sony eReader... You mentioned that you have both. So how does the Sony eReader work here in Malaysia? I won't have issue getting either one from the US since I may be going there for 1 month in Sept.

Mel
bryant_liew8
post May 5 2010, 03:49 PM

2 posts

QUOTE(whippersnapper @ May 4 2010, 11:09 PM)
For firmware v2.0, Amazon sent me a notification email with a link to download the update file. I then connected my Kindle to the computer via USB to update it manually (instructions were given by Amazon).

Note that if you've done any hacks you have to uninstall the hacks first before you can update.
Now waiting for v2.5 biggrin.gif
LOL.. thanks whisppersnapper.. V2.5 provides better viewing of pdf files!
i am wondering, is there any way to stay connect to internet with your kindle(with their experimental browser) without paying for the extra fees?
whippersnapper
post May 20 2010, 06:11 PM

1 posts

^Yes, connecting to the internet is free.
SpringChill
post May 24 2010, 11:45 PM

14 posts

Anyone tried either the kindle 2 or the DX? what are your views on either besides the larger screen size?
schizophreak
post Aug 15 2010, 09:28 PM

Getting Started
274 posts

I experienced Kindle 2 first hand last week, borrowed from a friend who came back from Australia and I was attracted to it immediately. I travel and read very often so Kindle would be really useful on my journeys.

Did some research on how to get one over here in Malaysia and I must say this thread is really, really useful.

Now that I'm going to ask a friend to bring back the-all-new-kindle from the U.S for me (shipping by/before 10/9). Guess I'll settle for the Wi-Fi edition.

However, there are several questions still hanging over my head. From stringfellow's guide :

1. Does that mean that my friend in the US doesn't need to register my kindle for me there? Can I do it myself in Malaysia instead since it's out of the Whispernet coverage?

2. After doing all the steps stringfellow mentioned, my books can be downloaded over Wi-Fi using my account B amazon's account, is that right?

3. Would it be taxed if my friend shipped it to me instead of bringing it back himself?

I'm sorry if the answers are already in some of the posts above, but I just want to be absolutely sure before purchasing it.

Many thanks!

happyshirt
post Aug 18 2010, 08:40 PM

Casual
409 posts

QUOTE(schizophreak @ Aug 15 2010, 09:28 PM)
I experienced Kindle 2 first hand last week, borrowed from a friend who came back from Australia and I was attracted to it immediately. I travel and read very often so Kindle would be really useful on my journeys.

Did some research on how to get one over here in Malaysia and I must say this thread is really, really useful.

Now that I'm going to ask a friend to bring back the-all-new-kindle from the U.S for me (shipping by/before 10/9). Guess I'll settle for the Wi-Fi edition.

However, there are several questions still hanging over my head. From stringfellow's guide :

1. Does that mean that my friend in the US doesn't need to register my kindle for me there? Can I do it myself in Malaysia instead since it's out of the Whispernet coverage?

2. After doing all the steps stringfellow mentioned, my books can be downloaded over Wi-Fi using my account B amazon's account, is that right?

3. Would it be taxed if my friend shipped it to me instead of bringing it back himself?

I'm sorry if the answers are already in some of the posts above, but I just want to be absolutely sure before purchasing it.

Many thanks!
Can the we surf the net on the wi-fi? i tot whispernet is needed to do that and thus won't be able to surf the net in Malaysia and china where that is not available.
Do you know shcizophreak? i do most of my travel in china so tot perhaps i could use the kindle to do some surfing but seems that i can't

I'm also wondering if i'll get taxed if i get the kindle shipped to malaysia from US. hopefully, someone can answer.

thanks
storm04
post Aug 23 2010, 09:19 AM

Getting Started
158 posts

thanks for the tips.
i'm so terribly interested in the latest generation kindle. usd138!
i've no place for physical books in my room and was thinking of ebook.

if i have an american credit card, although i'm in msia i still can buy via internet, download to pc n upload to the kindle, rite?
sorry, i'm still a little blur after reading your article n don want to buy it until extremely sure it can work in msia.

thanks!
LEVIATHAN
post Aug 23 2010, 12:30 PM

2,281 posts

So I read about Kindle 3 here: http://goo.gl/vctR

Let's group purchase :-)
storm04
post Aug 23 2010, 01:20 PM

Getting Started
158 posts

QUOTE(LEVIATHAN @ Aug 23 2010, 12:30 PM)
So I read about Kindle 3 here: http://goo.gl/vctR

Let's group purchase :-)
smile.gif good idea. but who will be the courier? smile.gif

actually i've one personal courier coming back to msia in dec. yahoo. but i'm waiting for black friday. hoping to got even better deals.
i guess you should wait for black friday too. price slash like crazy, seriously!

anyway, i'm still pondering which to get

1. sony e-reader
2. kindle 3 wifi only (ok we use this name for the new generation 6" kindle, easier)
3. nook

opinions pls?
happyshirt
post Aug 23 2010, 01:23 PM

Casual
409 posts

QUOTE(storm04 @ Aug 23 2010, 01:20 PM)
smile.gif good idea. but who will be the courier? smile.gif

actually i've one personal courier coming back to msia in dec. yahoo. but i'm waiting for black friday. hoping to got even better deals.
i guess you should wait for black friday too. price slash like crazy, seriously!

anyway, i'm still pondering which to get

1. sony e-reader
2. kindle 3 wifi only (ok we use this name for the new generation 6" kindle, easier)
3. nook

opinions pls?
i was thinking of Bebook cos seems that we can get on wi-fi anywhere right? kindle 3 wifi still need the amazon access right? can'tjust go to the hotspot and surf? can kah?

but main question for me is can i just go to any wifi hotspot and surf the net with the 3rd gen Kindle or is surfing only possible with Whispernet?

This post has been edited by happyshirt: Aug 23 2010, 01:49 PM
DarkHellSpawn
post Aug 31 2010, 10:52 AM

19 posts

i'm looking for ebook which i can read and buy books easily without taking my whole book collections with me.

I saw the new Kindle with $139 pricetag and i'm drooling to get one and i plan on getting the one with wi-fi. Do i still need to do the 2 amazon acc trick to buy books once i'm back in Malaysia? Can't we just buy book online like what US did since they claim 3g is free in 100 countries including ours?

Oh and maybe i might opt for that 3G for $189 coz it says it covers Malaysia too and its free. The only problem is, i'm not sure if whispernet works in Malaysia and accept our mastercard

sad.gif i cant decide, i like Kindle's features(read easily under the sum, audio etc) have to offer over B&N nook but it put me off if it take too much hassle to buy just 1 book that cost 5.99.

This post has been edited by DarkHellSpawn: Aug 31 2010, 11:41 AM
collyntan
post Sep 16 2010, 10:27 PM

0 posts

My staff found an Amazon Kindle at Japan MRT during an official trip, he pass it to me two weeks ago, but it already run out of battery, can we get any charger / USB port that served as a charger here in Malaysia?
G0blinTechies
post Sep 27 2010, 09:08 PM

Getting Started
137 posts

Got my kindle 3 today. I just followed the first page guide of this thread and my kindle 3 is up and running now. Thx a lot TS. Lots of reading fun ahead.

Still I hope Amazon will cover Malaysia in the future.
tayjulee
post Oct 4 2010, 07:53 AM

0 posts

So it's been interesting....and liberating to have Kindle on PC for the past few months.
Nothing quite like getting your book within seconds of purchasing it online. But yes there are dangers to it too.
Now finally the New Kindle Wifi Graphite has arrived here...gotta make a short trip to Johor to get it...
I've been writing Amazon to see if they would open to Malaysia...the price of book being a major factor...so far no reply
I was in the States prior to coming back here in June. I think they may listen if they knew how big the market is.
I've never been one to keep up with the latest technology but the Kindle is something every book lover would appreciate.

I think one thing sad about things here is the lack of access to good affordable books...
Some of this can change our minds and open up the full human potential...
Along with that the environmental and space saving slant is such a blessing...
I know coz I'm one of those people who would carry back most of the luggage weight back in books...

So email me....I will try to keep asking Amazon.
But meanwhile, I'll hang on to my US bank account.

Added on October 4, 2010, 7:57 am
QUOTE(storm04 @ Aug 23 2010, 09:19 AM)
thanks for the tips.
i'm so terribly interested in the latest generation kindle. usd138!
i've no place for physical books in my room and was thinking of ebook.

if i have an american credit card, although i'm in msia i still can buy via internet, download to pc n upload to the kindle, rite?
sorry, i'm still a little blur after reading your article n don want to buy it until extremely sure it can work in msia.

thanks!
I will test it out in a bit and let you know...I just got mine from the US...need to go back to hometown to get it...
thumbup.gif
julee.kindlefanatic.tay@gmail.com

This post has been edited by tayjulee: Oct 4 2010, 07:57 AM
ailinchia
post Oct 4 2010, 12:11 PM

Getting Started
55 posts

You may want to use a proxy to download books for Kindle for PC.
My account got detected that it's not in the country I set one day after downloading ONE free book from Amazon. sad.gif
kiawin
post Oct 4 2010, 10:59 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

QUOTE(ailinchia @ Oct 4 2010, 12:11 PM)
You may want to use a proxy to download books for Kindle for PC.
My account got detected that it's not in the country I set one day after downloading ONE free book from Amazon.  sad.gif
what happened next?
ailinchia
post Oct 4 2010, 11:04 PM

Getting Started
55 posts

I changed back to Malaysia. No more books to download. sad.gif

I tried with another account using Hotspot Shield. I'm not sure if I downloaded too fast or something. Got detected after 7 books.

Maybe I need to modify the address to be the same as the proxy location I use.
kiawin
post Oct 4 2010, 11:06 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

QUOTE(ailinchia @ Oct 4 2010, 11:04 PM)
I changed back to Malaysia. No more books to download. sad.gif

I tried with another account using Hotspot Shield. I'm not sure if I downloaded too fast or something. Got detected after 7 books.

Maybe I need to modify the address to be the same as the proxy location I use.
not really lah... i think they somehow able to detect. I just tried with hotspot shield, they able to detect me in asia pacific eventhough i register a new account smile.gif

kinda weird though...
ailinchia
post Oct 4 2010, 11:10 PM

Getting Started
55 posts

Strange. Browser cookie?

I'm still trying to figure out which method would escape detection. By right, proxy "should" work. sad.gif
kiawin
post Oct 4 2010, 11:14 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

QUOTE(ailinchia @ Oct 4 2010, 11:10 PM)
Strange. Browser cookie?

I'm still trying to figure out which method would escape detection. By right, proxy "should" work. sad.gif
wow, you're right. after clearing the cookie, it works smile.gif

Added on October 4, 2010, 11:54 pm
QUOTE(kiawin @ Oct 4 2010, 11:14 PM)
wow, you're right. after clearing the cookie, it works smile.gif
got detected after 7 books too smile.gif

This post has been edited by kiawin: Oct 4 2010, 11:54 PM
ailinchia
post Oct 5 2010, 12:54 AM

Getting Started
55 posts

Now I'm wondering if I limit it to 2-3 books a day, will it trigger the detection. Or maybe once a day.

Need to figure the limit out before I start buying books from Amazon. sad.gif
kiawin
post Oct 5 2010, 12:56 AM

NOOBIE
674 posts

QUOTE(ailinchia @ Oct 5 2010, 12:54 AM)
Now I'm wondering if I limit it to 2-3 books a day, will it trigger the detection. Or maybe once a day.

Need to figure the limit out before I start buying books from Amazon. sad.gif
I'm guessing that too. Will try out and share here smile.gif

I guess we need to switch on hotspot shield, clear cookie, and maintain "low" profile.

biggrin.gif
ailinchia
post Oct 5 2010, 01:16 AM

Getting Started
55 posts

Maybe need to switch "Kindle for PC" as well. I think there is an unique ID there. So i'm not sure if they detect based on that.

Will test out more and update here too. smile.gif
kiawin
post Oct 5 2010, 07:20 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

QUOTE(ailinchia @ Oct 5 2010, 01:16 AM)
Maybe need to switch "Kindle for PC" as well. I think there is an unique ID there. So i'm not sure if they detect based on that.

Will test out more and update here too. smile.gif
I'm using K4PC to test out. My unit is still in US smile.gif

Unfortunately, they still lock down the account once hit after 7, eventhough i get the 7th on the second day.

This is sad.
ailinchia
post Oct 5 2010, 07:33 PM

Getting Started
55 posts

Maybe your unique ID for K4PC (if there is one) got flagged?

Would test it out later tonight on my other PC at home. I'm thinking that maybe we need to enable Hotspot shield during the installation of K4PC as well.
gp2stroker
post Oct 6 2010, 07:34 PM

Getting Started
120 posts

great tips in the thread, even though I didn't need them yet

Got my wife a Kindle 3 yesterday... no problems with registration ( I already have an Amazon Account set up 3 months before, used KindlePC a week ago).. set the location in the US with a US address

this device looks like a toy than a real amazing e-book reader

bought the free books, games and used the free kindle PDF/docx convert service without any problems

recommend to convert pdf to azw, much better for reading...

conversion does not work for scanned pages pdf

page turning is quick enough... you have to see the e-ink display in real life to believe it ( Kindle 3 has the best e-ink display out there with 16 shades of grey.... no need to compare to iRiver, Han Lin, Benq (sold at mph), Sony, Nook (some of these only 8 shades of grey). What's so amazing is Kindle 3 is cheaper than most of the other devices!!

it's like reading on paper so need some room lighting.... or get those leather covers with lights

4GB (3+GB usable) memory is good enough for books so don't worry about not having external memory card drive.. you're not watching movies here

the device is the best for reading a book from start to finish, not the best for reference books where u jump from page to page (but still can be done)

has text to speech function...it's so awesome when it can read aloud your books icon_idea.gif

web surfing is not bad with low graphics sites

love this device.....

still trying to use 3rd party software converter (caliber)... to make it easier to convert files

now planning to hack the screen saver with my own photos instead of the dead author photos wacko.gif

will get another one for myself rclxm9.gif... will try to sell in the forum if I can get extra units

This post has been edited by gp2stroker: Oct 6 2010, 11:03 PM
kiawin
post Oct 6 2010, 08:16 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

QUOTE(gp2stroker @ Oct 6 2010, 07:34 PM)
great tips in the thread, even though I didn't need them yet

Got my wife a Kindle 3 yesterday... no problems with registration ( I already have an Amazon Account set up 3 months before, used KindlePC a week ago).. set the location in the US with a US address

this device looks like a toy than a real amazing e-book reader

bought the free books, games and used the free kindle PDF/docx convert service without any problems
recommend to convert pdf to azw, much better for reading...

conversion does not work for scanned pages pdf

page turning is quick enough... you have to see the e-ink display in real life to believe it ( Kindle 3 has the best e-ink display out there.... no need to compare to iRiver, Han Lin, Benq (sold at mph), Sony, Nook. What's so amazing is Kindle 3 is cheaper than most of the other devices!!

it's like reading on paper so need some room lighting.... or get those leather covers with lights

4GB (3+GB usable) memory is good enough for books so don't worry about not having external memory card drive.. you're not watching movies here

the device is the best for reading a book from start to finish, not the best for reference books where u jump from page to page (but still can be done)

has text to speech function...it's so awesome when it can read aloud your books  icon_idea.gif

web surfing is not bad with low graphics sites

love this device.....

still trying to use 3rd party software converter (caliber)... to make it  easier to convert files

now planning to hack the screen saver with my own photos instead of the dead author photos wacko.gif

will get another one for myself rclxm9.gif... will try to sell in the forum if I can get extra units
How do you purchase without VPN? Amazon kindle's site will say you're from Asia Pacific and the item is not available.

gp2stroker
post Oct 6 2010, 09:06 PM

Getting Started
120 posts

QUOTE(kiawin @ Oct 6 2010, 08:16 PM)
How do you purchase without VPN? Amazon kindle's site will say you're from Asia Pacific and the item is not available.
I'm not sure why mine works but for some doesn't... but i did use hotspot shield once just to change my location to the US and download Kindle 4 PC... that was all i did

after that everything worked whenever i log in at any pc at home or work.... I can see/buy books in the kindle store etc..

hope it would last with no problems biggrin.gif

kiawin
post Oct 6 2010, 09:06 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

QUOTE(ailinchia @ Oct 5 2010, 07:33 PM)
Maybe your unique ID for K4PC (if there is one) got flagged?

Would test it out later tonight on my other PC at home. I'm thinking that maybe we need to enable Hotspot shield during the installation of K4PC as well.
Guess what, I just go to "select my country", then popup a window with address to fill in, I just choose back the US address. No more "country" thingy issue smile.gif will try and see whether the message will re-appear or not

Added on October 6, 2010, 9:07 pm
QUOTE(gp2stroker @ Oct 6 2010, 09:06 PM)
I'm not sure why mine works but for some doesn't... but i did use hotspot shield once just to change my location to the US and download Kindle 4 PC... that was all i did

after that everything worked whenever i log in at any pc at home or work.... I can see/buy books in the kindle store etc..

hope it would last with no problems biggrin.gif
That's great smile.gif Btw, do you just use malaysia CC to pay in that account?

This post has been edited by kiawin: Oct 6 2010, 09:07 PM
gp2stroker
post Oct 6 2010, 09:14 PM

Getting Started
120 posts

QUOTE(kiawin @ Oct 6 2010, 09:06 PM)
Guess what, I just go to "select my country", then popup a window with address to fill in, I just choose back the US address. No more "country" thingy issue smile.gif will try and see whether the message will re-appear or not

Added on October 6, 2010, 9:07 pm

That's great smile.gif Btw, do you just use malaysia CC to pay in that account?
yup, I use m'sian credit card without any problems.... actually i've been buying other stuff from amazon too before this smile.gif
kiawin
post Oct 6 2010, 09:18 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

QUOTE(gp2stroker @ Oct 6 2010, 09:14 PM)
yup, I use m'sian credit card without any problems.... actually i've been buying other stuff from amazon too before this smile.gif
glad to hear so smile.gif
gp2stroker
post Oct 6 2010, 10:48 PM

Getting Started
120 posts

Just wanted to share some images of Kindle3 in action

user posted image

A PDF book converted into mobi/amazon format... the graphics is still ok....with adjustable font sizes/ line spacing/ text 2 speech function

user posted image

Can do minor web surfing... read star online (horizontally)

user posted image

or vertically

user posted image

No problem in accessing Kindle Bookstore

This post has been edited by gp2stroker: Oct 6 2010, 10:59 PM
vexer
post Oct 12 2010, 03:01 AM

1 posts

was wondering if anybody shipped the kindle in from overseas? if so, was the kindle subjected to taxes or fees from customs?
gp2stroker
post Oct 14 2010, 12:13 AM

Getting Started
120 posts

QUOTE(vexer @ Oct 12 2010, 03:01 AM)
was wondering if anybody shipped the kindle in from overseas? if so, was the kindle subjected to taxes or fees from customs?
officially you get taxed/duty (15-20%, I think) for items worth more than RM500 (item price + shipping cost)... if your item gets to you without being held by customs, you're just lucky biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by gp2stroker: Oct 14 2010, 12:19 AM
schizophreak
post Oct 14 2010, 11:38 AM

Getting Started
274 posts

QUOTE(gp2stroker @ Oct 14 2010, 12:13 AM)
officially you get taxed/duty (15-20%, I think) for items worth more than RM500 (item price + shipping cost)... if your item gets to you without being held by customs, you're just lucky biggrin.gif
Don't think Amazon ships the Kindle directly to Malaysia though. Another option is to get someone to buy from US/UK/wherever it's available and ship them to you as a gift. This way it won't be back (I haven't try this way though!).

A friend of mine will be bringing back my Kindle from the states this weekend! Cant wait for it!
gp2stroker
post Oct 14 2010, 10:00 PM

Getting Started
120 posts

interested in getting a Kindle? Click HERE
fern3661
post Oct 18 2010, 09:57 PM

15 posts

Hi! im a book lover! now considering between ipad, nook or kindle. i think i have decided. KINDLEEE!!! hehe my sister will be back in dec. so if anybody interested and is willing to wait, i suppose she can hide two or three inside her luggage without tax biggrin.gif and she can make small money by taking it back too. ^^ pm me if interested. biggrin.gif and if you are willing to wait. december is not that far.. haha smile.gif
ckyongs
post Oct 19 2010, 01:34 AM

Getting Started
188 posts

my kindle3 is blocked... using hot spot shield did not help. asked to contact kindle.
managed to buy scrabble and download 5 free books.
the kindle just arrived and this is my first day using.
any advise is appreciated.
thanks.
kiawin
post Oct 19 2010, 03:43 AM

NOOBIE
674 posts

QUOTE(ckyongs @ Oct 19 2010, 01:34 AM)
my kindle3 is blocked... using hot spot shield did not help. asked to contact kindle.
managed to buy scrabble and download 5 free books.
the kindle just arrived and this is my first day using.
any advise is appreciated.
thanks.
Hi, if the policy has yet changed, what you need to do is:

1. Stay cool
2. Go to amazon.com and login
3. Go to "Your account"
4. Go to "manage my kindle"
5. Go to "select my country"
6. When the window pop up, just select back the US address you used preciously.
7. reactivate 1-click setting with your US address as default

You now can use it even without using any proxy/vpn

cheers! smile.gif
ckyongs
post Oct 19 2010, 10:28 AM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(kiawin @ Oct 19 2010, 03:43 AM)
Hi, if the policy has yet changed, what you need to do is:

1. Stay cool
2. Go to amazon.com and login
3. Go to "Your account"
4. Go to "manage my kindle"
5. Go to "select my country"
6. When the window pop up, just select back the US address you used preciously.
7. reactivate 1-click setting with your US address as default

You now can use it even without using any proxy/vpn

cheers! smile.gif
you are right.
the country setting was to US but the 1-click was off.
1-click back on and it is working fine now.
thanks.

This post has been edited by ckyongs: Oct 19 2010, 10:31 AM
schizophreak
post Oct 30 2010, 12:17 PM

Getting Started
274 posts

Hi guys,

Did you guys try to subscribe magazines/newspaper with an account using gift cards? It didnt work on mine because it says my credit card is not valid.

Any ways to get around this?
kiawin
post Oct 30 2010, 12:33 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

don't think so. as i know periodicals are charged by CC, not gift cards.
Giondori
post Nov 17 2010, 04:43 PM

Getting Started
98 posts

QUOTE(vexer @ Oct 12 2010, 03:01 AM)
The kindle is tax free as with every other computer and related devices.
akira2001
post Nov 19 2010, 11:20 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

Getting a kindle from US is far cheaper than buying ereader from MPx where even the cheapest model that they sell is still higher that the kindle.
Beside, kindle 3 is currently rated as the best ereader so far.

Giondori
post Nov 20 2010, 12:42 AM

Getting Started
98 posts

I carry a few units of brand new Kindle 3 for resale - in stock. Interested PM me biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Giondori: Nov 20 2010, 12:43 AM
sunnyzimm
post Nov 20 2010, 02:08 PM

4 posts

You have beautiful jugs!

QUOTE(ahjames @ Jun 17 2009, 10:09 AM)
+ 9000 for this guide

Added on November 20, 2010, 2:13 pmThis picture is so damn pretty!

QUOTE(ahjames @ Jun 17 2009, 10:09 AM)
+ 9000 for this guide

This post has been edited by sunnyzimm: Nov 20 2010, 02:13 PM
Herojam9
post Nov 23 2010, 11:22 PM

3 posts

I have an iPad from apple. Since I have an iPad do I need to buy a kindle from Amazon to read their ebooks. I am a bit confused here. Can anybody advise me on this? I have downloaded kindle reader on my iPad. Now I have to set up an account with a us address I believe.
Please advise
SanosukeSagara
post Nov 24 2010, 02:03 AM

2008 2008
1,193 posts

iPad do have Kindle apps called Kindle for iPad. and the library is shared
whippersnapper
post Nov 24 2010, 06:52 AM

1 posts

QUOTE(collyntan @ Sep 16 2010, 10:27 PM)
My staff found an Amazon Kindle at Japan MRT during an official trip, he pass it to me two weeks ago, but it already run out of battery, can we get any charger / USB port that served as a charger here in Malaysia?
Any mini-USB cable will do (try finding in phone shops). It's probably registered to someone though hmm.gif

Herojam9
post Nov 24 2010, 09:42 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(SanosukeSagara @ Nov 24 2010, 02:03 AM)
iPad do have Kindle apps called Kindle for iPad. and the library is shared
Thanks and appreciate your answer. But let me get this right. Does it mean that if i own an Ipad and use the Kindle for ipad app i do not need to own a Kindle.
Is my conclusion Correct ? Or are the ebooks from Kindle easier to read on a Kindle rather than on a Ipad because of their format. If i don't need to buy a Kindle this will save me some good money which i can splash on other gadgets.

Would appreciate your advise.

Thank you.
kiawin
post Nov 24 2010, 10:02 AM

NOOBIE
674 posts

QUOTE(Herojam9 @ Nov 24 2010, 09:42 AM)
Thanks and appreciate your answer.  But let me get this right. Does it mean that if i own an Ipad  and use the Kindle for ipad app  i do not need to own a Kindle.
Is my conclusion Correct ?  Or are the ebooks from Kindle easier to read on a Kindle rather than on a Ipad because of their format. If i don't need to buy a Kindle this will save me some good money  which i can splash on other gadgets.

Would appreciate your advise.

Thank you.
you can just buy books from amazon and read on your ipad via the kindle app.

easier to read or not is subjective, for me i prefer a non-illuminating screen. means kindle surface is like paper, while ipad is a giant light bulb to me smile.gif
juwels
post Nov 24 2010, 11:09 AM

Getting Started
161 posts

the format of the books are the same. what makes e-readers like kindle and other gadgets different is the e-ink technology. the screen doesn't emit light, thus making it easier on the eyes for hours and hours of comfortable reading - something you cannot do on the screen of notebooks or ipads or mobile phones.

people who are serious about reading will appreciate the screens on kindle or other e-readers as they try to come as close to paper as possible. that is the key difference.
Geminist
post Nov 24 2010, 08:51 PM

- ドSな彼女 -
Group Icon
VIP
2,928 posts

Hello all

I am thinking of getting a Kindle and I have a large number of PDFs file that I read, reports with some pictures etc.

I just wondered how do you convert the PDF to .azw/.mobi format and how does a converter PDF with some figures appear on the Kindle?
Herojam9
post Nov 25 2010, 01:13 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(kiawin @ Nov 24 2010, 10:02 AM)
you can just buy books from amazon and read on your ipad via the kindle app.

easier to read or not is subjective, for me i prefer a non-illuminating screen. means kindle surface is like paper, while ipad is a giant light bulb to me smile.gif
Thank you all of you for your reply and advise. Looks like the Kindle screen has less strain on the eyes based on the feedback you have given me. Looks like i will order a 6 inch Kindle.

Thank you all of you for your advise.

Cheers
kiawin
post Nov 25 2010, 11:50 AM

NOOBIE
674 posts

Geminist, I think need to pay amazon for it. I doubt it will be nice as usually the conversion of text will be good, but not pictures.

Herojam9, no problem smile.gif welcome on board!
ailinchia
post Nov 25 2010, 11:56 AM

Getting Started
55 posts

QUOTE(Geminist @ Nov 24 2010, 08:51 PM)
Hello all

I am thinking of getting a Kindle and I have a large number of PDFs file that I read, reports with some pictures etc.

I just wondered how do you convert the PDF to .azw/.mobi format and how does a converter PDF with some figures appear on the Kindle?
A few options..
- viewing it on Kindle without conversion
- use calibre
- email to ur_username@free.kindle.com

Haven't really tested viewing pdf or any conversion. If you want, I could test it out (using Kindle3). Just give me a sample PDF.
Geminist
post Nov 25 2010, 06:55 PM

- ドSな彼女 -
Group Icon
VIP
2,928 posts

Thanks for the advice and the offers everyone.

I did some research yesterday and I also found the Calibre software. I've converted some of the documents I have into .mobi.

I've just received my Kindle today and I'll test it out tonight and share it back here how the PDFs are like after converted.
Herojam9
post Nov 26 2010, 06:51 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(Geminist @ Nov 25 2010, 06:55 PM)
Thanks for the advice and the offers everyone.

I did some research yesterday and I also found the Calibre software.  I've converted some of the documents I have into .mobi.

I've just received my Kindle today and I'll test it out tonight and share it back here how the PDFs are like after converted.
Hi All
I have a few questions which i hope i can get some help and find the answers.

1.In my Amazon account, is it mandatory to register a device for someone to download any ebooks from the Kindle store.?

2. I notice that in the Kindle Store , the book price is stated and there is a note " Will be automatically delivered By Wireless "

What does it mean actually ? Does it mean that if i purchase this book , it will be downloaded to the device i am using at present or it would be sent to a virtual dropbox folder so that i can download the book to any device i have registered in the Kindle store in my account. If this is the case i can see that registering a device would be mandatory to prevent unregistered devices from accessing the folder and downloading it.

Hope I can clear some some of the above so that i ahve a clearer understanding of the whole process of buying books from the Kindle store before iKindle arrives.

Thanking you in advance.

Cheers

I see from the Kindle store the follo
kiawin
post Nov 26 2010, 08:16 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

QUOTE(Herojam9 @ Nov 26 2010, 06:51 PM)
Hi All
I have a few questions which i hope i can get some help and find the answers.

1.In my Amazon account, is it mandatory to register a device  for someone to download any ebooks  from the Kindle store.?

2. I notice that in the Kindle Store , the book price is stated and there is a note "  Will be automatically delivered By Wireless " 

What does it mean actually ?  Does it mean that if i purchase this book , it will be downloaded to the device i am using at present  or it would be sent to a virtual dropbox folder so that i can download the book to any device i  have registered in the Kindle store in my account.  If this is the case i can see that registering a device would be mandatory to prevent unregistered devices from accessing the folder and downloading it.

Hope I can clear some some of the above so that i ahve a clearer understanding of the whole process of buying books from the Kindle store before iKindle arrives.

Thanking you in advance.

Cheers
I see from the Kindle store the follo
1. you need either a kindle, or kindle for pc, or kindle for android, or kindle for iphone, or kindle for ipad smile.gif

2. it means you can download via your kindle hardware/software through internet. generally there's amazon keep all the books for you in their cloud network. you can access them if you use your registered amazon (kindle) account.
Geminist
post Nov 26 2010, 08:35 PM

- ドSな彼女 -
Group Icon
VIP
2,928 posts

Herojam9

In addition to what kiawin said, you can also select the books you want on Amazon, and select where you want the books to be delivered to (if you have more than one device or app running Kindle).

If your Kindle is connected when you make the purchase, the books will be delivered to you immediately. Else, you just need to turn your device on and synchronise it and the books will be downloaded.

Which means, you can actually start your book collection even before you Kindle arrives!

---
By the way, I tested the Kindle with PDF, for high quality PDFs (nicely presented etc) the coverter works like a charm. But for poor quality PDFs or those with lots of figures, the conversion don't work that well.

However, I must say the Kindle is well worth it if you're a heavy fictional/classic books reader as you can get these cheaply or free. If you like reading factual books, then Kindle is not the best.

Herojam9
post Nov 28 2010, 11:00 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(Geminist @ Nov 26 2010, 08:35 PM)
Herojam9

In addition to what kiawin said, you can also select the books you want on Amazon, and select where you want the books to be delivered to (if you have more than one device or app running Kindle).

If your Kindle is connected when you make the purchase, the books will be delivered to you immediately.  Else, you just need to turn your device on and synchronise it and the books will be downloaded.

Which means, you can actually start your book collection even before you Kindle arrives!

---
By the way, I tested the Kindle with PDF, for high quality PDFs (nicely presented etc) the coverter works like a charm.  But for poor quality PDFs or those with lots of figures, the conversion don't work that well. 

However, I must say the Kindle is well worth it if you're a heavy fictional/classic books reader as you can get these cheaply or free.  If you like reading factual books, then Kindle is not the best.
Thank you for all who replied to my questions. Appreciate your help and advice. I guess i can start ordering the books even before my Kindle arrives .

Thank you once again all of you.

Cheers
furrybutts
post Dec 1 2010, 02:24 PM

24 posts

*deleted - problem resolved*

This post has been edited by furrybutts: Dec 3 2010, 10:26 AM
ky_khor
post Dec 2 2010, 04:54 PM

No.22
894 posts

Hi whoever able to COD at Klang valley. I'm interested in getting 1 after 2011 CNY. Please PM me your contact.

Best if there's a chance for me to get a hands-on before hand too!
LizStephenie
post Dec 17 2010, 12:01 PM

Casual
309 posts

i have a problem here...

was able to download a free ebook from amazon this morning but after that it keep telling me that "You attempted to purchase an item while in a different country than listed on your Amazon account." whenever i wanted to buy free ebook.

Tried to change my country to US and reactivated the 1-click setting but still no help...

Advice?
kiawin
post Dec 17 2010, 06:36 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

you just need to set your address (by reconfirming it) and reenable the 1-click setting. check back previous replies. I and ckyongs have state the steps needed smile.gif
LizStephenie
post Dec 17 2010, 07:32 PM

Casual
309 posts

QUOTE(kiawin @ Dec 17 2010, 06:36 PM)
you just need to set your address (by reconfirming it) and reenable the 1-click setting. check back previous replies. I and ckyongs have state the steps needed smile.gif
yep, thats what i did but still the same...

You attempted to purchase an item while in a different country than listed on your Amazon account.
havocx
post Dec 23 2010, 08:31 PM

The Last Fat Samurai
1,913 posts

QUOTE(LizStephenie @ Dec 17 2010, 07:32 PM)
yep, thats what i did but still the same...

You attempted to purchase an item while in a different country than listed on your Amazon account.
Do you have your address set to US in the first instance buddy ? It does not work if you have a Klang Postcode but with US as a country too.
I mean just by changing a country to point to US but without a US postcode does not help.
You need to create a US address and enable the one click setting to point to US.

This post has been edited by havocx: Dec 23 2010, 08:36 PM
LizStephenie
post Dec 25 2010, 10:02 PM

Casual
309 posts

QUOTE(havocx @ Dec 23 2010, 08:31 PM)

Do you have your address set to US in the first instance buddy ? It does not work if you have a Klang Postcode but with US as a country too.
I mean just by changing a country to point to US but without a US postcode does not help.
You need to create a US address and enable the one click setting to point to US.

i did... i create it by using a New York address...

Added on December 25, 2010, 10:08 pmi do noticed that every time i reset my browser history and clear all my cache and cookies, it did allow me to buy one free book... but after the first book it'll show the same message again...

any solutions? its quite troublesome to reset the history and clear the cache and cookies every time i wanna buy a book...

This post has been edited by LizStephenie: Dec 25 2010, 10:08 PM
havocx
post Dec 26 2010, 02:22 AM

The Last Fat Samurai
1,913 posts

QUOTE(LizStephenie @ Dec 25 2010, 10:02 PM)
i did... i create it by using a New York address...

Added on December 25, 2010, 10:08 pmi do noticed that every time i reset my browser history and clear all my cache and cookies, it did allow me to buy one free book... but after the first book it'll show the same message again...

any solutions? its quite troublesome to reset the history and clear the cache and cookies every time i wanna buy a book...
Am not sure if youve tried this. Try Hotspotshield. Itll help mask your IP to point to a US IP. That would perhaps help with your downloads.
Let us know how it goes.

LizStephenie
post Dec 26 2010, 09:11 PM

Casual
309 posts

QUOTE(havocx @ Dec 26 2010, 02:22 AM)

Am not sure if youve tried this. Try Hotspotshield. Itll help mask your IP to point to a US IP. That would perhaps help with your downloads.
Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestion...
But it seems that I could not even excess the amazon homepage when I'm using hotspotshield. >_<
apertureamy
post Dec 26 2010, 09:33 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(havocx @ Dec 26 2010, 02:22 AM)

Let us know how it goes.

I'm having the same problem as LizStephanie. My last purchase was on Christmas Eve. Bought a free book. When I want to get another book today it said that I attempted to purchase the book from a country other than stated in my account which was registered in the US.

I tried Hotspot Shield as well but it won't even load the Amazon website. I'm in desperate need of help here.
Amanda85
post Jan 29 2011, 07:23 PM

Scuderia Ferrari
2,232 posts

I had another similar problem. Before i receive my kindle, i have no problem purchasing free ebook from amazon that was loaded into my kindle for PC.

but once my kindle reached malaysia and i on the wifi...somehow, amazon manage to detect my location. now i can no longer purchase free ebook from amazon.

can any1 help?
inouehayate
post Jan 30 2011, 04:04 AM

4 posts

Hi all , Can someone explain how does the kindle free 3g thingy works in Malaysia ? I am thinking to get a kindle wifi + 3g.

Would I be able to get online using 3g in Malaysia w/o costing a single penny(I am aware of the free 3g globally thing, just not sure how it works in Malaysia) ? ( or maybe, can I get online using 3G in the first place ? )

I need more information about it.

Thanks for all the helps and comments. smile.gif

This post has been edited by inouehayate: Jan 30 2011, 04:07 AM
armusen
post Feb 24 2011, 02:02 AM

15 posts

QUOTE(inouehayate @ Jan 30 2011, 04:04 AM)
Hi all , Can someone explain how does the kindle free 3g thingy works in Malaysia ?
Nope the 3G whispernet (not thingy!) does not work in Malaysia. Since Kindle is not officially in Malaysia it makes no sense for Amazon to sign up deals with Maxis/Celcom/Digi to provide 3G access to their Kindle customers
You're better off buying the WiFi only version - its cheaper also (I have a Kindle Wifi only version)

EDIT: Since I have a Kindle with WiFi version only, I should have kept my mouth shut about whether or not Kindle 3G works in Malaysia - as the posts below have confirmed 3G Whispernet seems to be working in Malaysia. As for me, I am happy with the WiFi version because I have WiFi at home and at office.

This post has been edited by armusen: Feb 25 2011, 01:47 PM
ailinchia
post Feb 24 2011, 09:08 AM

Getting Started
55 posts

QUOTE(armusen @ Feb 24 2011, 02:02 AM)
Nope the 3G whispernet (not thingy!) does not work in Malaysia. Since Kindle is not officially in Malaysia it makes no sense for Amazon to sign up deals with Maxis/Celcom/Digi to provide 3G access to their Kindle customers
You're better off buying the WiFi only version - its cheaper also (I have a Kindle Wifi only version)
It's actually working in Malaysia. I have the 3G version and I have tested it out. Although I tend not to use it to avoid detection that my Kindle is in Malaysia. smile.gif
kiawin
post Feb 24 2011, 05:06 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

it's working... they use AT&T data roaming, which indeed cooperating with local telco.
wxph
post Feb 25 2011, 06:55 PM

7 posts

[deleted]

This post has been edited by wxph: Feb 28 2011, 11:55 PM
thenemesis
post Mar 2 2011, 12:28 PM

Casual
342 posts

i jus got my kindle 3. should i discuss my doubts here?
kiawin
post Mar 2 2011, 02:54 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

sure, why not? smile.gif
thenemesis
post Mar 2 2011, 04:47 PM

Casual
342 posts

basically, if i buy an ebook from amazon. i will have a copy on my kindle right? can i copy it into pc and then transfer to my friend's kindle?

This post has been edited by thenemesis: Mar 2 2011, 05:33 PM
k-bkeat
post Mar 2 2011, 05:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,201 posts

Guys, wats the ideal format for kindle 3 wifi? with nice font size smile.gif

here is a nice informative link

http://booksprung.com/kindle-101
kiawin
post Mar 2 2011, 09:36 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

QUOTE(thenemesis @ Mar 2 2011, 04:47 PM)
basically, if i buy an ebook from amazon. i will have a copy on my kindle right? can i copy it into pc and then transfer to my friend's kindle?
nope. not possible smile.gif the book is tied to your amazon account.
canineslave
post Mar 8 2011, 10:17 AM

Getting Started
57 posts

Hi All,

My name is Carol and it's good to know somewhere in a small corner in Malaysia, people are talking about Amazon Kindle.

I bought 2 units recently, Kindle 3. And 2 weeks after getting this gadget, I ordered the LEATHER COVERS. (not pu or pvc, it's leather)

They arrived last week and to my surprise, they actually sent me Kindle 2 cover which does not fit into Kindle 3 at all because of the different gap in the bracket. (see photo attached)

Therefore since it's very rare to find forum on talks about Kindle in Malaysia. I found this thread and am using this platform to offer at a very good price for those who own Kindle 2 and would like to purchase the cover. It's really nice and classy. Genuine Leather, that is.

Pictures are as attached. I have 2 units as I purchased on behalf of another friend as well. As you can see also, I only open 1 while the other is still intact unopened.

They're brand new (open box condition) and offering them at a very attractive price. The link below shows price with free delivery to USA only. To Malaysia I paid about RM130 per unit with delivery.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Leather-Cover...99549749&sr=8-5

ITEM : Kindle Leather Cover, Black (Fits 6" Display, 2nd Generation Kindle)

PRICE : RM100 each

CONDITION : Brand New (Open box)

Thanks and happy Kindling.

CAROL

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User61
post Mar 8 2011, 07:39 PM

Getting Started
218 posts

QUOTE(thenemesis @ Mar 2 2011, 04:47 PM)
Not possible to transfer ownership IINM. But, it's possible to "lend" the ebook up to 14 days IINM again.
fire_chrome
post Mar 11 2011, 05:33 PM

Getting Started
204 posts

i need some clear idea on amazon kindle here.

im using kindle android here. i try to buy a digital book here. i put all the credit card and everything. using MY cc. then the order is in process. but in same time i see the book already in my kindle. is this normal?

this my first time using amazon service
kiawin
post Mar 11 2011, 11:01 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

QUOTE(fire_chrome @ Mar 11 2011, 05:33 PM)
i need some clear idea on amazon kindle here.

im using kindle android here. i try to buy a digital book here. i put all the credit card and everything. using MY cc. then the order is in process. but in same time i see the book already in my kindle. is this normal?

this my first time using amazon service
ya... it's normal smile.gif
fire_chrome
post Mar 11 2011, 11:53 PM

Getting Started
204 posts

ok already confirm with cc company the transaction is success. but weird why it does not asking for three digit number behind. -___-"
User61
post Mar 14 2011, 08:08 PM

Getting Started
218 posts

QUOTE(fire_chrome @ Mar 11 2011, 11:53 PM)
why it does not asking for three digit number behind. -___-"
That is not mandatory. Not all companies require it when you purchase stuffs.
Volta Shah
post Mar 19 2011, 09:14 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(stringfellow @ Jun 5 2009, 04:22 AM)

user posted image

Also, since this process I have described also allots credit into your account, you can now buy other digital content on the Amazon, such as DRM-free high-bitrate MP3s or whole albums off Amazon! This nice side-effect allows you to purchase music off Amazon, which is priced at much cheaper pricetag compared to similarly tagged music off Apple's iTunes. Only please remember to keep your credit above ZERO, otherwise Amazon will start authorizing your credit card details  on Account B and complicates things later.

Is this trick works on Kindle 3 (3G+Wifi/Wifi)??
thanks
bageroz
post Apr 8 2011, 01:11 PM

48 posts

..i love this thing...the main advantages is its mobile..i can bring it everywhere without all the weight of a book..but still, for me books is more than just reading material..sometimes just by holding a book, the feel of pulp paper in your hand..the smell...oh the smell...it brings u into the story...and ofcoz, the memories...bookshelves is like an arkive of ur life...and the notes dat u wrote on the 1st page...kindle cant gv u dat...and i'm pretty sure malaysia's not ready for kindle..techwise dat is...peace. laugh.gif
mrg220t
post Apr 14 2011, 12:29 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

QUOTE(bageroz @ Apr 7 2011, 11:11 PM)
..i love this thing...the main advantages is its mobile..i can bring it everywhere without all the weight of a book..but still, for me books is more than just reading material..sometimes just by holding a book, the feel of pulp paper in your hand..the smell...oh the smell...it brings u into the story...and ofcoz, the memories...bookshelves is like an arkive of ur life...and the notes dat u wrote on the 1st page...kindle cant gv u dat...and i'm pretty sure malaysia's not ready for kindle..techwise dat is...peace.  laugh.gif
I have signed up with AlwaysVPN and manage to make my book purchases from amazon.
I'm willing to share my AlwaysVPN account with any LYNers as long as you do not abuse it. I have around 4.95Gb of bandwith left.
PM me for login/password.

This post has been edited by mrg220t: Apr 14 2011, 09:51 PM
kiawin
post Apr 14 2011, 02:39 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

QUOTE(mrg220t @ Apr 14 2011, 12:29 PM)
I have signed up with AlwaysVPN and manage to make my book purchases from amazon.
I'm willing to share my AlwaysVPN account with any LYNers as long as you do not abuse it. I have around 4.95Gb of bandwith left.
PM me for more login/password.
Not sure why, but I no problem with purchasing books without VPN smile.gif
mrg220t
post Apr 14 2011, 09:50 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

I donno, but when I don't use VPN, I can only purchase Asia Pacific Region books and their selection sucks.
I use VPN to access their US Kindle Store.
belfong
post May 21 2011, 10:25 PM

click clacking
859 posts

Stringfellow's tip on having two accounts worked for me. I managed to buy a book and downloaded it. My only issue is that I received an email from amazon one day later:
Dear Customer,

I see that you attempted to purchase "The Shining" while in a different country than the United States listed on your Amazon account.  Certain Kindle titles are not available everywhere.  We are reaching out to you to ensure the best possible service for your account.

If you have moved to a different country, you can easily update your country for your Amazon account at www.Amazon.com/manageyourkindle

If this is not the case, and you would like to share information that you live in the United States, we can be reached by fax at 001-206-266-1838 from outside the US, or 206-266-1838 from within the US.  Helpful information includes:
–    Passport
–    Military ID
–    Permanent Resident Card
–    Driver’s License
–    Other state photo identity card

We want to assure you that we handle this information in a secure manner: these are dedicated fax lines, staffed in an area with limited employee access.  The fax is never printed, just converted to an electronic image that is used to check the country, then the image is deleted.

Best regards,

Account Specialist
Amazon.com
Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
http://www.amazon.com/your-account
Should I be concerned?

Did you guys received similar emails? Can ignore?
kiawin
post May 21 2011, 11:47 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

QUOTE(belfong @ May 21 2011, 10:25 PM)
Stringfellow's tip on having two accounts worked for me. I managed to buy a book and downloaded it. My only issue is that I received an email from amazon one day later:
Should I be concerned?

Just go to manage your kindle and update your address. actually just "re" confirm your US address smile.gif

Added on May 21, 2011, 11:47 pm
Should I be concerned?

Just go to manage your kindle and update your address. actually just "re" confirm your US address smile.gif

This post has been edited by kiawin: May 21 2011, 11:47 PM
belfong
post May 22 2011, 01:41 AM

click clacking
859 posts

After I reconfirm the address, does it mean I will not get that email in my next purchase? The system already flag me as not being in USA due to the IP address from Malaysia.
jesse
post May 27 2011, 08:09 AM

Getting Started
85 posts

Should I be concerned?

Yea, I received the email once too... Just bought the kindle a couple of days ago n after successfully buying the first book, I can't buy anymore cos of this geographical issue...

QUOTE(kiawin @ May 21 2011, 11:47 PM)
Tried this too but doesn't help...

How? How??
kiawin
post May 27 2011, 08:23 AM

NOOBIE
674 posts

jesse,

have you updated your address (with the same address)?

I did and no more bugging messages smile.gif
jesse
post May 27 2011, 10:01 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(kiawin @ May 27 2011, 08:23 AM)
jesse,

have you updated your address (with the same address)?

I did and no more bugging messages smile.gif
Yup, i did update...but same message nevertheless

i login to amazon account, manage your kindle, under "current country" (currently set as "united states"), click edit, and in the popup menu, i keyed in the same US address...

i oso tried keying in different US address but same problem...

can anyone help??
hahuss
post Jun 8 2011, 05:06 PM

24 posts

hi, just got a kindle.

i was wondering, if I subscribe to a newspaper or a magazine and they would deliver it wirelessly to my kindle, would I have to pay the $1.99 extra charge?
mspuzzles
post Jun 10 2011, 10:40 AM

0 posts

Hi I am new here and I am also a new kindle user! Loving it so much! Very happy that there is a group of kindle users in Malaysia. Looking forward to learn and share. smile.gif
earthcrystal
post Jun 20 2011, 08:33 AM

Getting Started
293 posts

As Christmas presents, I was given a UK Kindle 3 and Nook Color. I am using Kindle 3 because I received it first. smile.gif
ychwang
post Jun 25 2011, 11:20 AM

Little *
4,607 posts

QUOTE(hahuss @ Jun 8 2011, 05:06 PM)
hi, just got a kindle.

i was wondering, if I subscribe to a newspaper or a magazine and they would deliver it wirelessly to my kindle, would I have to pay the $1.99 extra charge?
Do you mean you're using kindle 3 3G version?

hahuss
post Jun 25 2011, 07:11 PM

24 posts

QUOTE(ychwang @ Jun 25 2011, 11:20 AM)
Do you mean you're using kindle 3 3G version?
no, through wifi
mspuzzles
post Jun 29 2011, 03:54 PM

0 posts

Hi,

Have you guys experienced missing pages of your ebook in Kindle? I uploaded an ebook however some pages are missing. How do I go about this? HELP!!! icon_question.gif
fivewinning
post Jul 25 2011, 07:40 AM

Getting Started
70 posts

i have a question regarding this kindle thing. If i buy an ebook from amazon website, can i copy that file to read it in computer ? in addition,if my kindle doesn't work one day, does it mean that all the ebooks i bought will varnish too? thanks
k-bkeat
post Aug 9 2011, 03:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,201 posts

best format for kindle is PRC or AZW right?
whippersnapper
post Aug 11 2011, 11:12 AM

1 posts

If i buy an ebook from amazon website, can i copy that file to read it in computer ? in addition,if my kindle doesn't work one day, does it mean that all the ebooks i bought will varnish too?

Get the "Kindle for PC" software (or Kindle for Mac) to read Amazon ebooks on your computer. Available for smartphones and iPad too. The plus side is they sync your reading progress, bookmarks etc.

Books you've bought will not vanish, they're in a digital locker in your Amazon account unless you remove them manually. Look for "your digital items" on the top right corner after you sign in, and you can then access your Kindle orders. Of course, books bought/loaded from elsewhere will not be saved there.

best format for kindle is PRC or AZW right?

AZW is Amazon's proprietary format. If you're converting your own books, convert to PRC or MOBI and it'll be fine.

This post has been edited by whippersnapper: Aug 11 2011, 11:17 AM
Sstevemichael
post Aug 22 2011, 08:46 PM

0 posts

last night, I make compare and visit some website. I find many website that provide kindle information. I read and finally I find the better website that guide me to find the suit kindle. I like reading at this site. if you want to find more information about amazon kindle you can read at this website : http://kindle-windows.blogspot.com

MelissaBenton88
post Aug 26 2011, 11:32 PM

0 posts

Today many people buy kindle online, with kindle we can read many book only with one device. therefore, to find the suit kindle is important things. regularry, amazon kindle have three choise, ie kindle wifi, kindle wifi + 3g and kindle DX. To get information before select this e-book is important things. such to make compare with the other e-book. I recommand you before choose this ebook you better make a compare. How to make a compare? I ever visit the many kindle site to make compare. finally I find the better website to compare it. Today I want to tell anyone to who want to buy kindle, better visit website below I recommanded before buy it. Okay I do not tell you more, now you can visit the site at : kindle review
snowfire64
post Aug 27 2011, 12:58 AM

Casual
303 posts

QUOTE(Sstevemichael @ Aug 22 2011, 08:46 PM)
last night, I make compare and visit some website. I find many website that provide kindle information. I read and finally I find the better website that guide me to find the suit kindle. I like reading at this site. if you want to find more information about amazon kindle you can read at this website :  http://kindle-windows.blogspot.com
QUOTE(MelissaBenton88 @ Aug 26 2011, 11:32 PM)
Today many people buy kindle online, with kindle we can read many book only with one device. therefore, to find the suit kindle is important things. regularry, amazon kindle have three choise, ie kindle wifi, kindle wifi + 3g and kindle DX. To get information before select this e-book is important things. such to make compare with the other e-book. I recommand you before choose this ebook you better make a compare. How to make a compare? I ever visit the many kindle site to make compare. finally I find the better website to compare it. Today I want to tell anyone to who want to buy kindle, better visit website below I recommanded before buy it. Okay I do not tell you more, now you can visit the site at : kindle review
SPAM? hmm.gif
bubutoot
post Sep 2 2011, 04:24 PM

2 posts

cool2.gif

This post has been edited by bubutoot: Sep 6 2011, 10:46 PM
Maxkhoon
post Sep 11 2011, 08:56 PM

Getting Started
61 posts

May I ask what if Kindle 3 Amazon US itself will not be delivered to my address (Malaysia)?

Any other affordable e-reader similar to Kindle? because as far as I know, Kindle is the cheapest yet with high reputation compared to what sold in MPH (as far as I know) with the price raging around $1000..

Please help..thanks a lot.

juwels
post Sep 12 2011, 09:44 AM

Getting Started
161 posts

QUOTE(Maxkhoon @ Sep 11 2011, 08:56 PM)
May I ask what if Kindle 3 Amazon US itself will not be delivered to my address (Malaysia)?

Any other affordable e-reader similar to Kindle? because as far as I know, Kindle is the cheapest yet with high reputation compared to what sold in MPH (as far as I know) with the price raging around $1000..

Please help..thanks a lot.
you can get kindle 3 from lyn forum sellers. i got mine from bails76 and very very satisfied.
xjairo
post Oct 4 2011, 10:34 AM

0 posts

I'm contemplating on purchasing the Kindle Fire, but not sure if it'll be able to work here. Any ideas?
jigglypuff007
post Oct 19 2011, 01:16 PM

0 posts

Hi, can anyone help me with my kindle 3? I'm having problem even after I did all the necessary things to make my amazon account sound Like US citizen. I still hv the msg saying that I'm trying to purchase item that's not available under my amazon account. Ive changed the country to US and also click on the 1-click setting n also confirm the US address but ntg seem to work. Can someone pls kindly help me solve this problem? Any advise is greatly appreciated!!!
Kaiten
post Oct 31 2011, 09:22 AM

6 posts

Hi, I just recently bought a Kindle 4 with Ads. Didn't check out the tips and tricks before I tried it so I might have screwed up something - I set up a US address for my account (got the address from HopShopGo), but used my Visa CC with Malaysian address. However, I put the US address as my billing address.

I tried buying one random book for 99cents first, and the transaction went through... Then I tried buying another 99cents book and one free book. I got all three books on my Kindle via wireless transfer. Then I got an email saying I tried to purchase the free book from outside the country stated in my address.

Will it work if I just re-confirm my US address? :<

(why must amazon make it so hard on us to legally own ebooks? I mean I'm willing to pay and I don't wanna download pirated copies T_T)
Gilthoniel
post Nov 7 2011, 02:41 AM

the Doctor is IN!
1,718 posts

QUOTE(Kaiten @ Oct 31 2011, 09:22 AM)
Hi, I just recently bought a Kindle 4 with Ads. Didn't check out the tips and tricks before I tried it so I might have screwed up something - I set up a US address for my account (got the address from HopShopGo), but used my Visa CC with Malaysian address. However, I put the US address as my billing address.

I tried buying one random book for 99cents first, and the transaction went through... Then I tried buying another 99cents book and one free book. I got all three books on my Kindle via wireless transfer. Then I got an email saying I tried to purchase the free book from outside the country stated in my address.

Will it work if I just re-confirm my US address? :<

(why must amazon make it so hard on us to legally own ebooks? I mean I'm willing to pay and I don't wanna download pirated copies T_T)
I've the same issue but I can still download free ebooks... Meaning they haven't blocked my account. But I'm accessing via a VPN. I don't know if it will work without VPN. Hope kiawen can confirm again how is he doing his purchasing.

I'm using stringfellow's method but with VPN because the first time I did it, somehow amazon could detect even though I used gift card!

I'm not sure if they can detect when I use my iPad to download the books... Hope someone can clear the air here.
kiawin
post Nov 7 2011, 08:06 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

Dear all,

What I did was just to reconfirm the same US address, and reactivate 1 Click. And it works smile.gif

No VPN, No fake credit card smile.gif

I do it via PC web browser.

I have no idea why it doesn't work on your kindle though.
Gilthoniel
post Nov 8 2011, 09:51 PM

the Doctor is IN!
1,718 posts

seems like they not only detected my kindle purchase, they blocked me out of the amazon Android app store as well... bloody hell! no email warnings or anything of that sort... just plain "purchase error" on my android phone.

trying to see if i can still download books.

anyone knows if i bought books on one account, and if i change accounts, can i download the books to my kindle first, then switch accounts, and will the books still be there?

update: the free ebooks still go through... i'm abit hesitant to buy new books since they might lock me out anytime... but the amazon app store still doesn't work... maybe i should create a 2nd app store account and keep it separate from my ebooks account

Added on November 8, 2011, 10:28 pmok i've done it!

I updated my ebooks amazon account, and all free ebooks seem to be able to go through. I haven't downloaded on my ipad yet... will try soon

i created another account for amazon app store only since that has been blocked for my ebooks account due to geographical restrictions... i really don't understand why it works that way. I'm willing to change my app store account as they are all free apps anyway but my ebooks account has got paid books which i paid quite alot of money for...

i really don't understand why is it so difficult to get books which we are willing to pay for!

This post has been edited by Gilthoniel: Nov 8 2011, 10:28 PM
kiawin
post Nov 9 2011, 09:36 AM

NOOBIE
674 posts

QUOTE(Gilthoniel @ Nov 8 2011, 09:51 PM)
seems like they not only detected my kindle purchase, they blocked me out of the amazon Android app store as well... bloody hell! no email warnings or anything of that sort... just plain "purchase error" on my android phone.

trying to see if i can still download books.

anyone knows if i bought books on one account, and if i change accounts, can i download the books to my kindle first, then switch accounts, and will the books still be there?

update: the free ebooks still go through... i'm abit hesitant to buy new books since they might lock me out anytime... but the amazon app store still doesn't work... maybe i should create a 2nd app store account and keep it separate from my ebooks account

Added on November 8, 2011, 10:28 pmok i've done it!

I updated my ebooks amazon account, and all free ebooks seem to be able to go through. I haven't downloaded on my ipad yet... will try soon

i created another account for amazon app store only since that has been blocked for my ebooks account due to geographical restrictions... i really don't understand why it works that way. I'm willing to change my app store account as they are all free apps anyway but my ebooks account has got paid books which i paid quite alot of money for...

i really don't understand why is it so difficult to get books which we are willing to pay for!
Amazon Appstore (for Android) is different from Amazon Kindle.

What I'm trying to say is, they are different product, hence it will come with different limitation.

I'm ok with Kindle app smile.gif

For Appstore, you will need to key in fake name & ICs, which is, in a way illegal smile.gif
irwan6179
post Nov 9 2011, 06:39 PM

Regular
1,036 posts

For books, usually there are different publisher/distributor based on geographic location. Most of the time, ebook like the one for kindles are only licensed to be sold in the US. That's why Amazon have to limit the purchase of such ebook to US market only.
SUSmu77
post Dec 5 2011, 03:54 PM

1 posts

Hey guys, I going to purchase a Kindle Fire for myself, but are most of the features gonna work in Malaysia?? I have read all the reviews above and understand u guys have used certain techniques to 'trick' it in order to use US only apps/function. Please enlighten me on what are the possible functions that can't be used in Malaysia. Thanks alot. biggrin.gif
wild_card_my
post Dec 6 2011, 03:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,562 posts

i have a US based credit card registered to my Amazon account that is linked to my Kindle...

is it safe to buy books using my Amazon account through kindle? Will they find out where I am and thus block the account and what not?
b221072@nepwk.com
post Dec 7 2011, 10:34 PM

0 posts

Hi,

Just want to say thanks for a great post!!

I'm currently in the UK and have just purchased a Kindle Fire. I was thinking along the same lines as you described here and had already started the process of registering a new account, gift card and Email address for using the Kindle.

Does anyone have any thoughts on getting content to the Fire while outside of the US. I am considering using a VPN service for the US. I am thinking about updating the content on the Fire going through a a US VPN. I don't know what settings I can change on the Fire yet. Either way, i think if I was to put the vpn client on my laptop and connect to Amazon MP3 cloud ETC will be available. In fact it is, I've checked.

What i need to do now is "point " my Fire at my laptop to connect to the Internet. I can do this (i think) by running a proxy on my laptop and configuring the Fire to access the Internet via my laptop. i.e Fire -> (configured to connect to an IP address of proxy on Laptop) -> Laptop( (VPN US) -> Amazon content.

Does anyone have any thought on this?

Thanks.

tishaban
post Dec 20 2011, 06:58 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,615 posts

QUOTE(b221072@nepwk.com @ Dec 7 2011, 10:34 PM)
Does anyone have any thoughts on getting content to the Fire while outside of the US.  I am considering using a VPN service for the US.  I am thinking about updating the content on the Fire going through a a US VPN.  I don't know what settings I can change on the Fire yet.  Either way, i think if I was to put the vpn client on my laptop and connect to Amazon MP3 cloud ETC will be available.  In fact it is, I've checked. 
This works, there's no VPN support built into the Kindle itself on purpose but if you do it from another PC or router then it does work. I've been doing it on and off for a bit but I hardly ever use Amazon streaming despite having Amazon Prime and access to all their streaming content, too slow on my Streamyx line and frankly speaking, Hulu, Netflix and/or iTunes have better content biggrin.gif

Added on December 20, 2011, 7:02 am
QUOTE(wild_card_my @ Dec 6 2011, 03:22 PM)
is it safe to buy books using my Amazon account through kindle? Will they find out where I am and thus block the account and what not?
Yes you can buy Amazon items through the Kindle but it's cumbersome. Better to buy it on the website and have it pushed to the Kindle. Either way though they will find out unless you religiously use VPN 24/7. My account was frozen at one point and they asked for verification that I was a US "resident" by scanning a copy of a utility bill or drivers' license. I did the latter and was unfrozen and never questioned again.

So if you still have some current US identification then you're ok, just tell them you're travelling or something. Otherwise you will eventually get blocked/banned by Amazon for accessing content from outside the US.

This post has been edited by tishaban: Dec 20 2011, 07:02 AM
Kk17nD
post Jan 20 2012, 12:25 PM

4 posts

Hello hello! I am thinking of purchasing a Kindle Touch here in the US but I am concerned about book purchases when I (eventually will have to) return to Malaysia. I have heard about there being absolutely zero books for purchase when you're trying to buy books from Amazon.com using a Malaysian address and Malaysian credit card. How true is this scenario now? I was informed by the Amazon Customer Service rep that I could have the Malaysian credit card set up but what use would it be if there's nothing to purchase? Please help me in confirming or alleviating my fear... sad.gif
helengrace8
post Feb 21 2012, 11:43 AM

0 posts

Yes we can buy Amazon products via the entire Kindle however, it's cumbersome. Greater in order to purchase it found on the web site and also include it forced to be able to the Kindle. Either technique though the two will know out unless of course your needs religiously utilize VPN 24/7. My account ended up being frozen at you point plus they asked for verification that I was actually an US "resident" by scanning a copy of an utility bill or perhaps drivers' license. I did the actual latter and was unfrozen and additionally never questioned once again.

And so should you however currently have certain current You identification then you are okay, merely tell them you're travelling or something. Otherwise you may eventually attain blocked/banned by Amazon for accessing information from out of doors the US.

For more information on kindle just read here >>>>>>.... kindle

kiawin
post Feb 24 2012, 10:09 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

Maybe they have a tighter verification now, but for me it was fine buying books all these while in Malaysia smile.gif
johny2k
post Apr 4 2012, 10:50 AM

Casual
371 posts

Hi, everyone. I got something would like to share with u, currently I`m using Kindle Touch. First I already did all the thing TS teach us, create Account A & B, and using gift card to purchase a book, and it is working fine. But after I download the number 6 of free books, my account is block with saying: I attempted to purchase the book from a country other than stated in my account. So, I try the method as provide here:

1. Re update country setting, actually it is just select back the previous Us Address.
2. On the 1-Click setting

Result: It is still not working..... sweat.gif

So, I keep try other method:

1. I install Hotspotshield application in my Mac, then it will turn on the hostspotshield.
2. Using Safari browser go to amazon.com & login my amazon account.
3. Re update country setting, actually it is just select back the previous Us Address.
4. Off the 1-click setting, then on back the 1-click setting.
5. Try to purchase a free ebook from amazon.com using safari browser.

Result: It is working!!!! Now I able to purchase book from amazon.com again.

* Remark: Until now I still not using my kindle to access amazon store to buy a ebooks, because I afraid it will trace my ip again. I will keep using hotspotshield + browser to purchase the books.

Hope this can provide you guy some help, smile.gif
Matzx
post May 4 2012, 11:49 AM

6 posts

i am using ultrasurf software and google chrome. The software itself change the proxy.
so, now , i can download any free amazon content without any block.

You also can try this technique
freshtom
post Jul 22 2012, 08:31 PM

0 posts

Kindle Cover

There are various different devices over at Amazon that can help with this. There are clip on lights like those little book reading light clips that you can buy for a couple of dollars. However, because they have the name 'Kindle reading light' in the name, they shoot up to around $20.

There are also cases which permit the addition of a light. These cases are fairly cheap to begin with, but once you add that extra light (which is usually sold separately) it can add up. Also, batteries in a light are something that you will also need to deal with, replacing them when they die etc. Most reading lights will probably last around 20 hours of illumination, so depending on how often you read in the dark, this could range from one week, to a couple of months.

Once case that solves this is the official Kindle Lighted cover which includes a light in the case that hooks into the battery. It solves the issue of replacing batteries, as only the Kindle itself needs to be charged. more information about kindle cover review you can visit : Kindle Cover

kiawin
post Jul 23 2012, 09:37 PM

NOOBIE
674 posts

QUOTE(freshtom @ Jul 22 2012, 08:31 PM)
Kindle Cover

There are various different devices over at Amazon that can help with this. There are clip on lights like those little book reading light clips that you can buy for a couple of dollars. However, because they have the name 'Kindle reading light' in the name, they shoot up to around $20.

There are also cases which permit the addition of a light. These cases are fairly cheap to begin with, but once you add that extra light (which is usually sold separately) it can add up. Also, batteries in a light are something that you will also need to deal with, replacing them when they die etc. Most reading lights will probably last around 20 hours of illumination, so depending on how often you read in the dark, this could range from one week, to a couple of months.

Once case that solves this is the official Kindle Lighted cover which includes a light in the case that hooks into the battery. It solves the issue of replacing batteries, as only the Kindle itself needs to be charged. more information about kindle cover review you can visit : Kindle Cover
Spammy...
ben3003
post Sep 14 2012, 05:47 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,604 posts

i wanna ask, can i buy books using malaysia credit card for amazon books? specifically to use it on amazon kindle for android..
TehWateva
post Sep 24 2012, 01:44 AM

Schadenfreude Beaches.
1,442 posts

Just got a kindle touch and it seems to update itself 4 times and i was wondering if it's an issue?
ctwl368
post Sep 25 2012, 09:43 AM

32 posts

Hi, I have read thru the posts here.
I would like to know if i already have a amazon account but i have two shipping addresses listed. e.g. malaysia one for normal hard cover books and the other is my borderlinx address. I have purchased things other than books and shipped to my Borderlinx account before. My question is, can I still use this same amazon account to purchase kindle or should i be registering another account with amazon. My email registered with Amazon.com is a .com address e.g. hotmail.com email address.
Please advise. I am very keen to buy but I would like to make sure i can get it work once i receive it here in Malaysia. thank you in Advance for your help.
TehWateva
post Sep 25 2012, 08:13 PM

Schadenfreude Beaches.
1,442 posts

QUOTE(ctwl368 @ Sep 25 2012, 09:43 AM)
Hi, I have read thru the posts here.
I would like to know if i already have a amazon account but i have two shipping addresses listed. e.g. malaysia one for normal hard cover books and the other is my borderlinx address. I have purchased things other than books and shipped to my Borderlinx account before. My question is, can I still use this same amazon account to purchase kindle or should i be registering another account with amazon. My email registered with Amazon.com is a .com address e.g. hotmail.com email address. 
Please advise. I am very keen to buy but I would like to make sure i can get it work once i receive it here in Malaysia.  thank you in Advance for your help.
Use a new 2nd account for kindle and use VPN during purchase.
ctwl368
post Sep 25 2012, 08:47 PM

32 posts

thank You, TehWateva! appreciate the reply.

Added on October 26, 2012, 6:14 pmYES!!! got my kindle. Loving it!!!!!!

This post has been edited by ctwl368: Oct 26 2012, 06:14 PM
akira de aimbuster
post Mar 23 2013, 07:21 PM

しごと~
3,500 posts

Just a question, did you all really buy books from amazon or upload books from your PC to kindle?
JohnJon82
post Mar 25 2013, 11:14 AM

Enthusiast
716 posts

QUOTE(akira de aimbuster @ Mar 23 2013, 07:21 PM)
Just a question, did you all really buy books from amazon or upload books from your PC to kindle?
I only buy the $0.00 books thumbup.gif .
ISFJ
post Jan 3 2014, 07:46 AM

Getting Started
258 posts

I have been following the steps in the first post to purchase my first e-book for my Kindle. However, I received an e-mail from Amazon stating that the home country registered to my Kindle does not match the country of my residence. They also mentioned that they would restrict the home country settings should I continue purchasing US titles if I do not complete the verification process. What should I do in this case? I want to be able to continue buying e-books from Amazon sad.gif
juwels
post Jan 3 2014, 09:57 AM

Getting Started
161 posts

QUOTE(ISFJ @ Jan 3 2014, 07:46 AM)
I have been following the steps in the first post to purchase my first e-book for my Kindle. However, I received an e-mail from Amazon stating that the home country registered to my Kindle does not match the country of my residence.  They also mentioned that they would restrict the home country settings should I continue purchasing US titles if I do not complete the verification process. What should I do in this case? I want to be able to continue buying e-books from Amazon  sad.gif
i didn't follow the 1st post steps. i registered my kindle and added my credit card in the same account - and added a US address. i've been buying books without a problem. in fact i just set up another kindle for my cousin the same way.

if you are afraid they will restrict your home country settings in your current account, you can deregister your current account from your kindle, and set it up with a new account. make sure the new account has a US address.

hope this works. enjoy your kindle smile.gif
JohnJon82
post Jan 3 2014, 02:40 PM

Enthusiast
716 posts

QUOTE(ISFJ @ Jan 3 2014, 07:46 AM)
I have been following the steps in the first post to purchase my first e-book for my Kindle. However, I received an e-mail from Amazon stating that the home country registered to my Kindle does not match the country of my residence.  They also mentioned that they would restrict the home country settings should I continue purchasing US titles if I do not complete the verification process. What should I do in this case? I want to be able to continue buying e-books from Amazon  sad.gif
Ignore the email and don't reply to them. Treat as you never saw the email. Go low profile for a while without buying books.

Amazon randomly check you by your IP address. Buy a e-voucher and send to yourself, load it, erase any info of you staying outside US and buy using a US VPN.
ISFJ
post Jan 3 2014, 05:02 PM

Getting Started
258 posts

QUOTE(juwels @ Jan 3 2014, 09:57 AM)
i didn't follow the 1st post steps. i registered my kindle and added my credit card in the same account - and added a US address. i've been buying books without a problem. in fact i just set up another kindle for my cousin the same way.

if you are afraid they will restrict your home country settings in your current account, you can deregister your current account from your kindle, and set it up with a new account. make sure the new account has a US address.

hope this works. enjoy your kindle  smile.gif
Wow you did it the direct way! I am afraid they would check that my card details do not match my personal details on the Amazon account. They did not trace your IP address when you did your purchases?

QUOTE(JohnJon82 @ Jan 3 2014, 02:40 PM)
Ignore the email and don't reply to them. Treat as you never saw the email. Go low profile for a while without buying books.

Amazon randomly check you by your IP address. Buy a e-voucher and send to yourself, load it, erase any info of you staying outside US and buy using a US VPN.
Does getting free books on Amazon consider as buying books? If I were to ignore the e-mail, will they suspend my existing Amazon account used for my Kindle?
juwels
post Jan 3 2014, 05:13 PM

Getting Started
161 posts

QUOTE(ISFJ @ Jan 3 2014, 05:02 PM)
Wow you did it the direct way! I am afraid they would check that my card details do not match my personal details on the Amazon account. They did not trace your IP address when you did your purchases?
i've been using my card on amazon for kindle since 2011. so far so good. bought 4 books last month icon_rolleyes.gif
ISFJ
post Jan 3 2014, 05:55 PM

Getting Started
258 posts

QUOTE(juwels @ Jan 3 2014, 05:13 PM)
i've been using my card on amazon for kindle since 2011. so far so good. bought 4 books last month  icon_rolleyes.gif
May I ask what kind of credit card did you use for your purchases? Also, what is the billing address that you included in your Amazon account? Did you buy books directly from your Kindle, or from your computer?
juwels
post Jan 3 2014, 08:07 PM

Getting Started
161 posts

QUOTE(ISFJ @ Jan 3 2014, 05:55 PM)
May I ask what kind of credit card did you use for your purchases? Also, what is the billing address that you included in your Amazon account? Did you buy books directly from your Kindle, or from your computer?
Hsbc Visa. I put a random Starbucks address as my home address tongue.gif

Bought from kindle and from PC. I put my credit card as one click.
ISFJ
post Jan 3 2014, 08:59 PM

Getting Started
258 posts

QUOTE(juwels @ Jan 3 2014, 08:07 PM)
Hsbc Visa. I put a random Starbucks address as my home address tongue.gif

Bought from kindle and from PC. I put my credit card as one click.
You're so lucky! Maybe I should do the same and see if it works. Thank you very much!
ISFJ
post Jan 4 2014, 12:32 PM

Getting Started
258 posts

I changed my billing address on my Kindle but am still unable to buy free e-books from Amazon. May I ask if I were to change my Amazon account will my existing Kindle books be still available? Also, if I were to go low profile for a while will I still be able to continue buying e-books from Amazon after, say, 2 months?
JohnJon82
post Jan 4 2014, 02:35 PM

Enthusiast
716 posts

QUOTE(ISFJ @ Jan 3 2014, 05:02 PM)
Does getting free books on Amazon consider as buying books? If I were to ignore the e-mail, will they suspend my existing Amazon account used for my Kindle?
I don't know what the deal between Amazon with the publishers. Amazon is not supposed to sell those ebooks and their kindle officially in Malaysia, so they come out this system checking people buying it. Free books from Project Gutenberg maybe ok, but others maybe got copyright issues.

I read in other forum people there suggesting this. Once caught they go low profile then continue again after a while, never hear any account is blocked or deleted so far. Using VPN and gift voucher make it harder for them to track you by IP address. Whenever I buy books I use this method, nothing happen so far, just to be safe. Some buy direct for years yet never kena, some buy one time then receive the email, depend on luck one.
ISFJ
post Jan 5 2014, 01:07 PM

Getting Started
258 posts

QUOTE(JohnJon82 @ Jan 4 2014, 02:35 PM)
I don't know what the deal between Amazon with the publishers. Amazon is not supposed to sell those ebooks and their kindle officially in Malaysia, so they come out this system checking people buying it. Free books from Project Gutenberg maybe ok, but others maybe got copyright issues.

I read in other forum people there suggesting this. Once caught they go low profile then continue again after a while, never hear any account is blocked or deleted so far. Using VPN and gift voucher make it harder for them to track you by IP address. Whenever I buy books I use this method, nothing happen so far, just to be safe. Some buy direct for years yet never kena, some buy one time then receive the email, depend on luck one.
Hmmm looks like I should keep my profile low for a while, but my mistake was I had been trying to buy free books a few days ago on Amazon after receiving the e-mail from them, just to test to see if I could still buy e-books. Means I went high profile before going low profile again. Not sure if my going low profile this time would help...
ISFJ
post Jan 17 2014, 11:17 PM

Getting Started
258 posts

QUOTE(ISFJ @ Jan 5 2014, 01:07 PM)
Hmmm looks like I should keep my profile low for a while, but my mistake was I had been trying to buy free books a few days ago on Amazon after receiving the e-mail from them, just to test to see if I could still buy e-books. Means I went high profile before going low profile again. Not sure if my going low profile this time would help...
The going-low-profile trick worked. Also the IP shield software trick. Able to buy more books on Amazon now smile.gif Reading my 5th book for the year because reading on a Kindle is very convenient!
JohnJon82
post Jan 19 2014, 09:30 PM

Enthusiast
716 posts

QUOTE(ISFJ @ Jan 17 2014, 11:17 PM)
The going-low-profile trick worked. Also the IP shield software trick. Able to buy more books on Amazon now  smile.gif  Reading my 5th book for the year because reading on a Kindle is very convenient!
I use it mostly when travelling. Waiting for airline to allow ebook reader to be turn on during take off and landing drool.gif .
ISFJ
post Apr 15 2016, 09:39 PM

Getting Started
258 posts

Been able to buy e-books on Amazon for my Kindle via VPN for 2 years but today I was prompted with the following message upon login:

"Important Message!
We haven't seen you using this device before. To help protect your account, we just want to make sure it's really you."

I was prompted to enter my 10-digit phone number to which I have forgotten (entered a fake US number along with a fake address just for my Kindle purchases).

May I know if any one of you has encountered the same problem before? Really do not want to have my account suspended as I need to use my Kindle with it.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1033sec    0.56    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:15 PM