Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

40 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Bike Gear Talk, ATGATT? gloves, boots, pants etc.

views

TSJason
post Oct 31 2022, 04:08 PM, updated 2 months ago

Look at all my stars!!
5,846 posts

Anybody rides with full gear all the time?

I never realized that gloves can help so much, less effort needed to handle the clutch and brakes, better control, and of course, comfortable. I have boots as well and ride with it, but they don't look too hard core. Using Five gloves, with the pre-curve.

Haven't gotten riding jeans/pants yet. I noticed a lot of "riding jeans" are just normal jeans and majority of it doesn't have armored lining, just the pocket for the CE pad at the knee and that's it. Which means if you slide on tarmac, you're gonna lose all your skin.
jaycee1
post Oct 31 2022, 04:13 PM

AFK
2,435 posts

I'm in full gear 99% of the time. That 1%maybe is going to the Taman shops to get burger or smokes.

Boots, riding pants, jacket, gloves, and a good helmet. Even when I do squid on that 1%, I still have at least my helmet, boots and gloves on.

It's hot, but I rather save some skin and bones.

This post has been edited by jaycee1: Oct 31 2022, 04:50 PM
jaycee1
post Oct 31 2022, 04:17 PM

AFK
2,435 posts

QUOTE(Jason @ Oct 31 2022, 04:08 PM)
Haven't gotten riding jeans/pants yet. I noticed a lot of "riding jeans" are just normal jeans and majority of it doesn't have armored lining, just the pocket for the CE pad at the knee and that's it. Which means if you slide on tarmac, you're gonna lose all your skin.
As for riding jeans, the only proper ones need to have a Kevlar lining and you WILL have to use your own better armour. Typically for cheap riding jeans, they will just give you rather useless 4mm EVA foam pads.

I use normal riding jeans with upgraded armour. Kevlar lined jeans are a bit too hot and uncomfortable for me. It is a trade-off. Just have to depend on the armour for protection. Normal denim won't do much in a slide.

My Komine mesh pants has leather over the sliding areas...

This post has been edited by jaycee1: Oct 31 2022, 04:24 PM
Flyinghighaero
post Oct 31 2022, 04:27 PM

12 posts

Ride with gears most of the time, changes with the risk I am comfortable taking. The most protective gear often is not the comfiest.

The very basic full gear only protect you from jatuh bodoh. No sliding on the tramac it will be destroyed in 1 second. These are your daily jacket, glove boot etc

If you want the best protection full leather racing setup is the best. You can get away with sliding up to 5 second on the road. But those are stiff movement restricting and super hot in our weather. I only use those when I intend to ride aggressively at karak or kkic. For touring duty comfy mesh jacket with mesh pants is my choice. Lighter glove not gauntlet type. High top leather riding boot instead of hard racing boot so I can stretch my legs.

mADmAN
post Oct 31 2022, 04:31 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,515 posts

Only helmet n gloves 100% of the time...the rest i usually squid...even my once a week 35km commute oso just hoodie, shorts n crocs coz of what i have to do at the destination which involves alot of sweating n dust n etc.

Yes yes..i know its not right and i should be wearing boots n pants n proper jacket etc...can change at destination etc....

Touring ill be on full gear though including riding pants and boots n jacket...and also compression shirt n pants as well.
jaycee1
post Oct 31 2022, 04:44 PM

AFK
2,435 posts

FWIW, those slow city traffic rides are the most crucial to armour up as you will be riding in traffic/commute in slower speeds and you get too comfortable and complacent and don't concentrate and as alert then when you ride at speed. we know how often that can go south....plus in traffic there is more things you can hit or hit you so impact protection is more important than sliding performance.

This post has been edited by jaycee1: Oct 31 2022, 04:46 PM
ifourtos
post Oct 31 2022, 04:48 PM

Regular
1,884 posts

in the split second of "uncontrollable" event happened.
all you thinks is ... " Why i didnt put on full gear "

in defensive driving/riding.
the last stage = how to Crash "properly" , or how to Fall properly

Full Gear is part of the Answer.

Always remember. No matter how careful you are.
there is always Motobodo around you.

some carbodo too. change lane like you are invisible.
TSJason
post Oct 31 2022, 05:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,846 posts

QUOTE(jaycee1 @ Oct 31 2022, 04:13 PM)
I'm in full gear 99% of the time. That 1%maybe is going to the Taman shops to get burger or smokes.

Boots, riding pants, jacket, gloves, and a good helmet. Even when I do squid on that 1%, I still have at least my helmet, boots and gloves on.

Lai lai share your gear.

QUOTE(jaycee1 @ Oct 31 2022, 04:17 PM)
My Komine mesh pants has leather over the sliding areas...
Eh didn’t see such model on sale now. I like the cotton Komine camo design but it’s not armored.

QUOTE(mADmAN @ Oct 31 2022, 04:31 PM)
Only helmet n gloves 100% of the time...the rest i usually squid...even my once a week 35km commute oso just hoodie, shorts n crocs coz of what i have to do at the destination which involves alot of sweating n dust n etc.

Yes yes..i know its not right and i should be wearing boots n pants n proper jacket etc...can change at destination etc....

Touring ill be on full gear though including riding pants and boots n jacket...and also compression shirt n pants as well.
Suggest you put on a jacket? Quite easy. Looks funny, a squid in shorts and crocs with jacket. But why not?

I gotten an awesome deal about MYR680 for a brand new mesh jacket with CE Level 1 armor on shoulder, elbow and back. Rarely got CE back armor included.
harryleesbr
post Oct 31 2022, 07:00 PM

0 posts

Serdang Motorcycle can get some good deals.
I bought all my stuff from there.

alexei
post Oct 31 2022, 07:40 PM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

Open face, mesh jacket, gauntlets for daily.

Polyester jacket, kevlar lined trousers for trips, leather for fun rides.
Both with full face and race boots.

This post has been edited by alexei: Oct 31 2022, 07:40 PM
SUSskyblu3
post Oct 31 2022, 10:46 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

QUOTE(jaycee1 @ Oct 31 2022, 04:13 PM)

same mindset as you.
it takes times to put on all the gears before can even ride off
it may not be as cooling as not wearing a safety jacket (I don't really feel hot, got used to it)
BUT sweating is much better than bleeding/bone fracture
and spending more time putting on the gears is much better than spending time in the hospital.

I'm AGATT all the time even when i ride to work. unless i'm go out to nearby shops to tapau - i'll put on my lighter weight ride jacket and use my mountain bike knee guard.

not sure if you consider this is full gear or not. Other than my fullface helmet, this is what i wear when i ride.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
SUSskyblu3
post Oct 31 2022, 10:54 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

QUOTE(ifourtos @ Oct 31 2022, 04:48 PM)

Always remember. No matter how careful you are.
there is always Motobodo around you.

some carbodo too. change lane like you are invisible.
This is why i AGATT all the time.
You'll never know when shit will happen.

at times I get teased , and some will give me the "you are such a show off" look.

I know one guy in my office, quite a close friend before this - he laughed and teased me when he saw me putting on the safety gears at the office car park.
Know what, about a year later , he had a bike accident. His knee hit the tarmac and his kneecap fractured. Other than this injury, he had those usual bike injuries such as road rash, etc.

I was so tempted to remind him of that day he laughed and made fun of me for wearing full gears.

LOL.

SUSskyblu3
post Oct 31 2022, 10:57 PM

Getting Started
157 posts

QUOTE(Jason @ Oct 31 2022, 05:49 PM)

Suggest you put on a jacket? Quite easy. Looks funny, a squid in shorts and crocs with jacket. But why not?

i guess some people can predict when accidents will happen.
that's why they dare to ride without safety gears.

I don't have this ability to predict. Hence AGATT.

Zaire.Ver
post Oct 31 2022, 11:39 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

i ride a small scooter and wear almost full gear hahaha
FF helmet - kabuto kamui 3, jacket - komine jk-141, glove - komine gk-197, boots - forma viper dry...but lower parts still lacking, need some riding pants or maybe just hip & knee armour

several times i noticed at traffic lights, some rider took photo of me and probably laugh too but who cares, ive seen plenty of shit on the road and experience some too

years ago, had 1 accident, emergency brake to avoid a carbodo sudden switch from right lane into my lane at left.... fast speed, hard brake without abs, i had to slide the bike, jump out, and roll several times on the road. luckly there was no car behind and i wore gear & FF if not can kiss my face goodbye already...no serius injuries except some bruises, cuts but the worst are my toes coz i only wore hiking shoes (thick sole, heavy type) easily got torn off...that time wear agv k3 FF, rs taichi jacket and glove

also seen right in front of me, twice on separate occasion, on wet road after rain stopped, a hilux spun on middle of a straight highway and a myvi spun on little bend on highway

not counting the various numerous bike accident happen during daily 70km work commute

so thats why even after downgraded from big bike to small scooter i still wear full gear coz u never know when shit gonna happen but usually it's during the daily peak traffic jam time. also no point if getting a cheap or fake gear..wont protect anything, for show only

TSJason
post Nov 1 2022, 01:57 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,846 posts

QUOTE(skyblu3 @ Oct 31 2022, 10:46 PM)
I'm AGATT all the time even when i ride to work. unless i'm go out to nearby shops to tapau - i'll put on my lighter weight ride jacket and use my mountain bike knee guard.

not sure if you consider this is full gear or not.  Other than my fullface helmet, this is what i wear when i ride.
You wear those boots the entire day? How does your feet fare? Haven’t spent extended periods with my boots, similar height as yours. Other than the sole being super stiff and reinforced pad for shifter, it looks *ok* for daily wear.

I think yours is full gear, no sliding protection for hips and butts but that’s not mission critical. We don’t slide like Rossi most of the time. It is really carbodo and motobodo most of the time.

If I was riding a scooter I might use a lower cut shoe instead of stiff boots.
SUSskyblu3
post Nov 1 2022, 07:14 AM

Getting Started
157 posts

QUOTE(Jason @ Nov 1 2022, 01:57 AM)
You wear those boots the entire day? How does your feet fare? Haven’t spent extended periods with my boots, similar height as yours. Other than the sole being super stiff and reinforced pad for shifter, it looks *ok* for daily wear.

I think yours is full gear, no sliding protection for hips and butts but that’s not mission critical. We don’t slide like Rossi most of the time. It is really carbodo and motobodo most of the time.

If I was riding a scooter I might use a lower cut shoe instead of stiff boots.
These shoes are comfy enough to wear the whole day , especially when it is seasoned. And it still provide enough protection. I wear this in the office and go jalan jalan.

If I'm not wrong the model is TCX Mood. And it's waterproof as well. Go check it out.

alexei
post Nov 1 2022, 09:55 AM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

QUOTE(Zaire.Ver @ Oct 31 2022, 11:39 PM)
i ride a small scooter and wear almost full gear hahaha
FF helmet - kabuto kamui 3, jacket - komine jk-141, glove - komine gk-197, boots - forma viper dry...but lower parts still lacking, need some riding pants or maybe just hip & knee armour

several times i noticed at traffic lights, some rider took photo of me and probably laugh too but who cares, ive seen plenty of shit on the road and experience some too

years ago, had 1 accident, emergency brake to avoid a carbodo sudden switch from right lane into my lane at left.... fast speed, hard brake without abs, i had to slide the bike, jump out, and roll several times on the road. luckly there was no car behind and i wore gear & FF if not can kiss my face goodbye already...no serius injuries except some bruises, cuts but the worst are my toes coz i only wore hiking shoes (thick sole, heavy type) easily got torn off...that time wear agv k3 FF, rs taichi jacket and glove

also seen right in front of me, twice on separate occasion, on wet road after rain stopped, a hilux spun on middle of a straight highway and a myvi spun on little bend on highway

not counting the various numerous bike accident happen during daily 70km work commute

so thats why even after downgraded from big bike to small scooter i still wear full gear coz u never know when shit gonna happen but usually it's during the daily peak traffic jam time. also no point if getting a cheap or fake gear..wont protect anything, for show only
they take you as motivation for ATTGATT
alexei
post Nov 1 2022, 09:56 AM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

QUOTE(skyblu3 @ Oct 31 2022, 10:54 PM)
This is why i AGATT all the time.
You'll never know when shit will happen.

at times I get teased , and some will give me the "you are such a show off" look.

I know one guy in my office, quite a close friend before this - he laughed and teased me when he saw me putting on the safety gears at the office car park.
Know what, about a year later , he had a bike accident.  His knee hit the tarmac and his kneecap fractured.  Other than this injury, he had those usual bike injuries such as road rash, etc.

I was so tempted to remind him of that day he laughed and made fun of me for wearing full gears.

LOL.
ouch...

we only have 1 body
alexei
post Nov 1 2022, 09:57 AM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

we wear gear and sometimes ppl call us 'pussies'
just need to remind them, 'cats have 9 lives'
SUSskyblu3
post Nov 1 2022, 10:12 AM

Getting Started