Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

30 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> LYN Dashcam Discussion V2 | Dashcam Talk Malaysia, Everything related to dashcam!

views

TSblurjoey
post Apr 9 2019, 01:56 PM, updated 1h ago

Sumo Hammy!
Group: Senior Member

Welcome to LYN Dashcam Discussion V2!

Here is V1: Link

What dashcam should I get?

Budget - BlueSkySea B1W, Viofo A119 series, Viofo A129 series, etc

Premium - Korean dashcams like Thinkware, Blackvue, etc

The above is capacitor based dashcams. I rarely will recommend battery based dashcams. Please read below.

Lithium Batteries VS Capacitors

Capacitors are preferred to be used in hot countries like in Malaysia as they are more resistant to heat and have a longer lifespan than lithium batteries.

They are also more expensive to implement. Capacitors lose its stored charge over time, after a few days it can completely drain, resetting all settings like the time and date. As well the battery life is measured in seconds, not minutes.

Batteries are cheaper to implement. They can hold a larger charge, around 5-10X more than capacitors which allows you to use your dashcam like an action cam.

Batteries have the worse reliability and many manufacturers will use low-quality batteries which fail sooner. Depending on the battery, it may swell or leak or worst case scenario - explodes.

Most China dashcams are using batteries inside.

Micro SD cards

user posted image user posted image

The most tried and tested card is the Samsung Evo Plus (not the Evo+ as it is an older version)(Evo Select is actually an Evo Plus). Write speed varies on the card size: 32GB is 20MB/s write speed, 64GB is 60MB/s write speed and 128GB & above is 90MB/s write speed.

The new Sandisk Ultra A1 doesn't have the sudden death issue of the Sandisk Ultra.

user posted image user posted image user posted image

High Endurance cards - Samsung Pro Endurance, Transcend High Endurance, Kingston Endurance (announced 1st April 2019), Sandisk High Endurance (the slowest with 20MB/s write speed).

But do take note that some dashcams are very sensitive and may have an error when used with slow write speed of micro SD cards.

Parking Mode

Batteries Packs

Where to install?

If you're the DIY type you can always follow some Youtube videos like the ones below and DIY. There are tons of installations videos on Youtube.

This is the easiest that I've used when I first installed my dashcam.

This will require some technical skills as there is a need to do hardwiring and cabling to the rear for the rear cam.

Or you can bring to a car accessories shop that you trust and get them to install for you.

Below are some authorized distributors/sellers/installers:

EA Autoworks - authorized Thinkware & Viofo seller & installer in Bukit Jalil. They are also selling iRoad dashcams if not mistaken.

Shorty5 - authorized Thinkware seller & installer in Klang.

WorldTech Auto Accessories - authorized Thinkware seller & installer in Penang.

Sicurez - authorized Thinkware & Viofo distributor & seller in Malaysia. They also install dashcams in their premium store in Sunway.

Blackvue MY - brought in by Zhapalang Motorsport

iRoad MY - authorized iRoad distributor & seller in Malaysia.

Dashcam reviews & more info can be found in: JWTech Reviews | LYN Reviews & Guides | CarCamCentral | Dashcamtalk forum

~Work in progress~

This post has been edited by blurjoey: Jun 9 2019, 11:29 AM
TSblurjoey
post Apr 9 2019, 02:00 PM

Sumo Hammy!

Let me know if there is any info to add to the first post.

Thank you!
josh5671
post Apr 9 2019, 02:40 PM

Enthusiast

Good to know. Iroad have Malaysia fb... I going complain kao2 android pie can't use...
TSblurjoey
post Apr 9 2019, 02:42 PM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(josh5671 @ Apr 9 2019, 02:40 PM)
Good to know. Iroad have Malaysia fb... I going complain kao2 android pie can't use...
sweat.gif sweat.gif sweat.gif

iRoad KR came in directly to Malaysia
Winter@7
post Apr 9 2019, 05:21 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Have myself install with Iroad X9 and notice overall is not as clear as we seen from youtube footage. The video quality is not so clear as well and you can feel there is blurry on the video. I didn't notice much improvement on the video compares to my 2 years ago old Transcend dash cam video quality.

Another issue that I found is the windscreen reflection is too much for front and rear camera. I am wondering where can get the Polarizing filter to add-on the camera lens. Haha...this is my personal opinion.

I decide to take Iroad is due to the weather here in Malaysia is always too hot, and from review, Iroad has no problem on the heat. that's the reason there is a lot of Singaporean is using Iroad Dash Cam. Other than that is the Dash Cam stability.

But I truly disappointed for spending about RM13XX to get such low-quality video. My opinion is very personal. Just see any of Iroad X9 user here can share your thought too....

P/S: don't ever trust the youtube footage that all look very clear on the image and good color. When you see clearly, it is like totally no windscreen reflection at all too.

This post has been edited by Winter@7: Apr 9 2019, 05:23 PM
VeeJay
post Apr 9 2019, 05:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Apr 9 2019, 02:00 PM)
Let me know if there is any info to add to the first post.

Thank you!
Thanks for V2 mate....btw...just wondering what happened to the "Track this thread/topic" subscription button?! hmmm
KIntos
post Apr 9 2019, 08:49 PM

Regular

QUOTE(Winter@7 @ Apr 9 2019, 05:21 PM)
Have myself install with Iroad X9 and notice overall is not as clear as we seen from youtube footage. The video quality is not so clear as well and you can feel there is blurry on the video. I didn't notice much improvement on the video compares to my 2 years ago old Transcend dash cam video quality.

Another issue that I found is the windscreen reflection is too much for front and rear camera. I am wondering where can get the Polarizing filter to add-on the camera lens. Haha...this is my personal opinion.

I decide to take Iroad is due to the weather here in Malaysia is always too hot, and from review, Iroad has no problem on the heat. that's the reason there is a lot of Singaporean is using Iroad Dash Cam. Other than that is the Dash Cam stability.

But I truly disappointed for spending about RM13XX to get such low-quality video. My opinion is very personal. Just see any of Iroad X9 user here can share your thought too....

P/S: don't ever trust the youtube footage that all look very clear on the image and good color.  When you see clearly, it is like totally no windscreen reflection at all too.
You have to consider the tint film factor. Tint film is the one giving reflection.
cute_boboi
post Apr 9 2019, 09:29 PM

° 忍 °

P/S: don't ever trust the youtube footage that all look very clear on the image and good color.  When you see clearly, it is like totally no windscreen reflection at all too.
1) you have to place the device with camera lens as close to the windscreen to prevent/reduce reflection. If you hang at rear view mirror there maybe big gap >1cm. I use suction cup on windscreen and the lens is <1cm to the windscreen.

2) check your model if it has polarized / filter add-on. e.g. my viofo A119 has CPL Filter add-on option.
icon_rolleyes.gif
voncrane
post Apr 9 2019, 10:21 PM

Noir et fier!

Reverse parking in legendary thread.. smile.gif
Winter@7
post Apr 10 2019, 09:23 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(cute_boboi @ Apr 9 2019, 09:29 PM)
1) you have to place the device with camera lens as close to the windscreen to prevent/reduce reflection. If you hang at rear view mirror there maybe big gap >1cm. I use suction cup on windscreen and the lens is <1cm to the windscreen.

2) check your model if it has polarized / filter add-on. e.g. my viofo A119 has CPL Filter add-on option.
icon_rolleyes.gif
I can't do anything with the camera distance as it is fix and unable to adjust. It is using double sided tape and is with a fixed base as well. No choice lor...haha.
Polarized lens should able to solve the issue, but so far I can see there is for blackvue model. After use for a while sure will don't have any feeling anymore. tongue.gif

TSblurjoey
post Apr 10 2019, 09:52 AM

Sumo Hammy!

Not sure if you can get this or other CPL filters from Aliexpress and mod to your X9. CPL filter can help reduce the reflections a bit.

https://www.edr-auto.fr/shop/en/28-filtres-polarisants

But do be careful as iRoad is known to have issues like lens out of focus, lens blur and wifi dongle burnt. Last time they have a recall for their previous models before.

Youtube actually lowers the video quality from the original video after upload laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Actually, you paid rm1k+++ for full-featured Korean dashcam not just for the video quality.

There is saying that goes "A Higher Price ≠ Better Video Quality" laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Now Thinkware is more hot selling in Singapore. Before was Blackvue and iRoad.

Winter@7
post Apr 10 2019, 04:48 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Apr 10 2019, 09:52 AM)
Not sure if you can get this or other CPL filters from Aliexpress and mod to your X9. CPL filter can help reduce the reflections a bit.

https://www.edr-auto.fr/shop/en/28-filtres-polarisants

But do be careful as iRoad is known to have issues like lens out of focus, lens blur and wifi dongle burnt. Last time they have a recall for their previous models before.

Youtube actually lowers the video quality from the original video after upload laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Actually, you paid rm1k+++ for full-featured Korean dashcam not just for the video quality.

There is saying that goes "A Higher Price ≠ Better Video Quality" laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Now Thinkware is more hot selling in Singapore. Before was Blackvue and iRoad.
No choice, since already get it and then use it until it can't work anymore. If there is a Polarized lens can be found, will be consider to trying on it. hmm.gif

I mean when I see from youtube footage showing the video shoot using X9 is superb clear. But the reality is so so to me. No surprised for the money I spend.
Now just hope the overall built is tahan lasak and can tahan the sunlight heat. My previous cam can auto off if too hot or memory card will suddenly can't read as well. Maybe cannot tahan too hot. vmad.gif

Everyone also assumes higher price and expectations for a higher video quality, otherwise why we have to pay more right? whistling.gif
Agree Blackvue and Thinkware is in the trend now, and also Marbella? cool2.gif

This post has been edited by Winter@7: Apr 10 2019, 04:52 PM
TSblurjoey
post Apr 10 2019, 08:37 PM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(Winter@7 @ Apr 10 2019, 04:48 PM)
No choice, since already get it and then use it until it can't work anymore. If there is a Polarized lens can be found, will be consider to trying on it.  hmm.gif

I mean when I see from youtube footage showing the video shoot using X9 is superb clear. But the reality is so so to me. No surprised for the money I spend.
Now just hope the overall built is tahan lasak and can tahan the sunlight heat. My previous cam can auto off if too hot or memory card will suddenly can't read as well. Maybe cannot tahan too hot.  vmad.gif

Everyone also assumes higher price and expectations for a higher video quality, otherwise why we have to pay more right?  whistling.gif
Agree Blackvue and Thinkware is in the trend now, and also Marbella?  cool2.gif
Cause all Korean dashcam is using capacitors instead of batteries since more than 3+++ years ago... That's why capacitor can resist heat better than a battery.

Marbella used to be famous but now no more.

I'm using Thinkware F800 Pro in my car. Bought it for around rm2.6k with 64GB micro SD card when first launched in Malaysia. Even though the video quality not as great for those with higher bit rates. But for the true parking mode, ADAS and other features it's worth it.

I'm on the waiting list for the Thinkware Q800 Pro which is coming this month hopefully laugh.gif
josh5671
post Apr 11 2019, 12:21 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Apr 10 2019, 08:37 PM)
Cause all Korean dashcam is using capacitors instead of batteries since more than 3+++ years ago... That's why capacitor can resist heat better than a battery.

Marbella used to be famous but now no more.

I'm using Thinkware F800 Pro in my car. Bought it for around rm2.6k with 64GB micro SD card when first launched in Malaysia. Even though the video quality not as great for those with higher bit rates. But for the true parking mode, ADAS and other features it's worth it.

I'm on the waiting list for the Thinkware Q800 Pro which is coming this month hopefully laugh.gif
Feedback for Android pie /9 issue on iroad app.

Turn off data then connect iroad wifi then it work like charm... LoL
soyusa
post Apr 11 2019, 02:34 PM

Casual

Hurray... congrats on new thread "LYN DashCam Discussion V2". smile.gif
TSblurjoey
post Apr 11 2019, 02:35 PM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(josh5671 @ Apr 11 2019, 12:21 PM)
Feedback for Android pie /9 issue on iroad app.

Turn off data then connect iroad wifi then it work like charm... LoL
Sounds more like a temporary fix than a permanent fix...
josh5671
post Apr 11 2019, 07:00 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Apr 11 2019, 02:35 PM)
Sounds more like a temporary fix than a permanent fix...
yep. temporary fix better then not working at all.
at least turn off data can access the dashcam...
TSblurjoey
post Apr 11 2019, 09:36 PM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(josh5671 @ Apr 11 2019, 07:00 PM)
yep. temporary fix better then not working at all.
at least turn off data can access the dashcam...
I think is a Huawei issue. I heard got another brand of dashcam also got issues connecting.
TSblurjoey
post Apr 11 2019, 10:06 PM

Sumo Hammy!

Viofo got new dashcams coming soon...

A129 Duo IR
Attached Image Attached Image

A119 V3 with 1600P resolution using Sony Starvis sensor. New WK1 & WM1.
Attached Image

WK1
Attached Image
Pugbunny
post Apr 11 2019, 11:03 PM

Casual

Hi, I am thinking to install 70mai Pro for the front screen and 70mai for the rear.

Is it OK for install 70mai as a rear cam?

user posted image

30 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0988sec    2.46    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th July 2019 - 11:07 PM