Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

New user registrations disabled until further notice.

25 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom
Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> The SSD Thread V6, Solid State Drive, Continued.

Maxieos
post Aug 26 2017, 11:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Aug 25 2017, 12:44 PM)
1. Done. Both my Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1 & ASUS X99-Pro has multiple PCI-e ports, tested all of them, still flickering
2. Done. Bought a new RX 550 just to test this matter, 100% new, not used unit, still flickering
3. Done. Done, bought a new premium DP cable, still flickering
4. Done. Done for both motherboards, still flickering

Still flickering away like there's no tomorrow laugh.gif

Nevermind, I'm just gonna wait until 31st October to strip out everything and install part by part
Also gonna try to run the system naked to see if the HAF XB Evo is the fault for this issue
QUOTE(horns @ Aug 25 2017, 01:07 PM)
.. good luck. it's a bad experience, even not as owner. it's been a long while that i need to solve something without positive outcomes lol

edit: seriously made me think twice to get that all-amd setup for now. it's really too bad.
I guess , sometimes assemble with different component will have some issue in certain area.
Try using win7 by means software test , wire cable DP or HDMI.

Few more test maybe helping

1. Did you test out with other benchmark too ? Maybe the game or bench having problem ?
2. Did you try on linux like Ubuntu since AMD having freesync support under it.http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/HOW-TO-ENABLE-AMD-FREESYNC-IN-LINUX.aspx
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news...-2-Announcement
With linux , they will have log on the output and variety features to tweak and confirm which part of error.

sHawTY
post Aug 26 2017, 11:48 PM

Frequent Reporter

QUOTE(Maxieos @ Aug 26 2017, 11:44 PM)
I guess , sometimes assemble with different component will have some issue in certain area.
Try using win7 by means software test , wire cable DP or HDMI.
Done all of them, go back to my previous posts and you'll see
QUOTE(Maxieos @ Aug 26 2017, 11:44 PM)
1. Did you test out with other benchmark too ? Maybe the game or bench having problem ?
The flickering starts on the desktop itself, so not going to do any benchmark or anything else until the flickering on desktop stops
Maxieos
post Aug 27 2017, 01:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(horns @ Aug 25 2017, 12:55 AM)
well, good luck man; it's really frustrating. i don't really think it's the pc case but who knows?

in another computer, did you use the freesync display and turn freesync on?
from what you have highlighted, i think your laptop is ok for a ssd since the bios has ahci. it's most probable that you will reuse the ssd when you replace the laptop, so i think a 240gb range ssd should be good for you in future.

samsung 850 evo is still the better sata-based mainstream option imo. unless you have a tight budget, go with 850 evo 250gb at least.

edit: the sweet spot since last year is supposed to be 512gb in terms of capacity. (meaning same price of a 240gb range for last year but its capacity doubles; in fact in the US, the sweet spot is 1tb this year) here it sort of happened, but just not really what we want. (weak currency make us consumers buy expensive stuff for no reason)
Thanks for telling , now I am looking on how to backup and retain the partition.Cloning but increase in spacing.
Old laptop somehow with only 10+GB free space and there is only windows 7 old license in the hard disk.Need to clone , retain Dell boot sector , increase window 7 spacing.
Anyhow do you have any idea which software about to do it ?
-retain 3 partition of dell ( Healthy OEM 39MB , RECOVERY 15GB , OS around 100GB )
-Increase OS to 180GB
-Create a Logical partition of the remaining space.

We all also have no luck where our currency never get improve and never drop below 4 conversion to USD , merchant are allow to increase price of item after g$t according to their preference.Mining affected GC price increase. sad.gif So much factor facing this year.

Hope everything will turn back better next year.

Back to topic , any suggestion of software doing that ? should I worry what I read about 4k alignment or something ?
Maxieos
post Aug 27 2017, 01:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Aug 26 2017, 11:48 PM)
Done all of them, go back to my previous posts and you'll see
The flickering starts on the desktop itself, so not going to do any benchmark or anything else until the flickering on desktop stops
Try installing ubuntu and install AMD driver see whether is the driver issue. http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/P...C-IN-LINUX.aspx
I think it's the fastest way to test.If it still persist , try go to mnirc ubuntu or ubuntu hardware for real time response log/debug into pastebin and etc.
I only can think about it at this moment.

I too having problem with graphic resolution issue which I can't set custom size on monitor last time.

This post has been edited by Maxieos: Aug 27 2017, 01:14 AM
NyD-WiLL
post Aug 27 2017, 02:20 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Hi, first time using ssd here. Just got my Samsung 850 Evo yesterday. May i know is my ssd status good or not?

Attached Image
Attached Image

can be verified with manufacturer's toolbox software

And what this mean? Where can i download that?
horns
post Aug 27 2017, 03:29 AM

\m/

QUOTE(Maxieos @ Aug 27 2017, 01:05 AM)
Thanks for telling , now I am looking on how to backup and retain the partition.Cloning but increase in spacing.
Old laptop somehow with only 10+GB free space and there is only windows 7 old license in the hard disk.Need to clone , retain Dell boot sector , increase window 7 spacing.
Anyhow do you have any idea which software about to do it ?
-retain 3 partition of dell ( Healthy OEM 39MB , RECOVERY 15GB , OS around 100GB )
-Increase OS to 180GB
-Create a Logical partition of the remaining space.

We all also have no luck where our currency never get improve and never drop below 4 conversion to USD , merchant are allow to increase price of item after g$t according to their preference.Mining affected GC price increase. sad.gif So much factor facing this year.

Hope everything will turn back better next year.

Back to topic , any suggestion of software doing that ? should I worry what I read about 4k alignment or something ?
if you need to clone it, you can use macrium reflect to do it, or use samsung's data migraton softare, http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minis...load/tools.html

you might need to resize the partitions after successful cloning. sorry i do clean installs most of the times. you can use nirsoft's produkey to get the w7 product key just in case that key is not at the back of your laptop (or battery compartment.

about 4k alignment issue, it might not happen. however if it does, i think it's a relatively easy fix. i think macrium reflect can handle that also.

QUOTE(NyD-WiLL @ Aug 27 2017, 02:20 AM)
Hi, first time using ssd here. Just got my Samsung 850 Evo yesterday. May i know is my ssd status good or not?

Attached Image
Attached Image
And what this mean? Where can i download that?
i think the benchmark is ok. don't run too many times of benchmark. it's not good for your ssd.

use samsung magician to check, http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minis...load/tools.html

if it's detected correctly that means it's all good.

NyD-WiLL
post Aug 27 2017, 02:57 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(horns @ Aug 27 2017, 03:29 AM)
i think the benchmark is ok. don't run too many times of benchmark. it's not good for your ssd.

use samsung magician to check, http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minis...load/tools.html

if it's detected correctly that means it's all good.
Attached Image

Thanks. Now got other questions. What is Rapid Mode for? Should i on it? Should i run the Performance Optimization and Over Provisioning?
horns
post Aug 27 2017, 04:40 PM

\m/

QUOTE(NyD-WiLL @ Aug 27 2017, 02:57 PM)
Attached Image

Thanks. Now got other questions. What is Rapid Mode for? Should i on it? Should i run the Performance Optimization and Over Provisioning?
in short, rapid mode is ram-based cache-like feature that boosts samsung ssd. if you have 16gb of ram or more, turn this on.

you should run performance optimization, and turn over provisioning on. performance optimization is to optimize your os for ssd use; while op is to help maintain r/w speed when the disk is almost full. just stick to default for normal usage. (it's adjustable so increase or decrease it when necessary)

note that all the above are just options that you can turn on or off if necessary, especially when you find software that are not compatible. (which is very rare, but who knows?)

NyD-WiLL
post Aug 27 2017, 05:09 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(horns @ Aug 27 2017, 04:40 PM)
in short, rapid mode is ram-based cache-like feature that boosts samsung ssd. if you have 16gb of ram or more, turn this on.

you should run performance optimization, and turn over provisioning on. performance optimization is to optimize your os for ssd use; while op is to help maintain r/w speed when the disk is almost full. just stick to default for normal usage. (it's adjustable so increase or decrease it when necessary)

note that all the above are just options that you can turn on or off if necessary, especially when you find software that are not compatible. (which is very rare, but who knows?)
Lowyat should add like/rate button for helpful posts like yours. Thanks again. thumbup.gif
horns
post Aug 27 2017, 10:21 PM

\m/

QUOTE(NyD-WiLL @ Aug 27 2017, 05:09 PM)
Lowyat should add like/rate button for helpful posts like yours. Thanks again.  thumbup.gif
don't mention it and you're welcome smile.gif
sHawTY
post Aug 28 2017, 03:11 PM

Frequent Reporter

Gave up on the monitor. Tested with 3 system but still flickering to no end
Anyone has a FreeSync monitor that I can use for testing?

I will bring both my system and my monitor to test at your place
Preferably somewhere in Klang / Shah Alam

Requested for full refund from AOC but need to provide hard proof that their monitor is the one that's having problem hence why I need someone's help in proving that my system is okay
Going to use the money to buy Samsung C32HG70 instead
horns
post Aug 28 2017, 05:02 PM

\m/

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Aug 28 2017, 03:11 PM)

Requested for full refund from AOC but need to provide hard proof that their monitor is the one that's having problem hence why I need someone's help in proving that my system is okay
.. that means it's not related to you new pc case?

hopefully someone with freesync monitor can help. however ii suspect that it might be related to freesync driver issue, not brand related.

sai86
post Aug 28 2017, 05:57 PM

StilL LearninG

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Aug 28 2017, 03:11 PM)

how about just boot using Chrome OS? you can boot from a USB drive.
i thought flickering = either monitor,bad driver or GPU will kong. this is what i experienced before.

wow. so kns the AOC warranty claim. should ask them to proof to you instead.
sHawTY
post Aug 28 2017, 07:45 PM

Frequent Reporter

QUOTE(horns @ Aug 28 2017, 05:02 PM)
.. that means it's not related to you new pc case?

hopefully someone with freesync monitor can help. however ii suspect that it might be related to freesync driver issue, not brand related.
Nope, nothing to do with my case
It's okay, AOC agreed to give me full refund
QUOTE(sai86 @ Aug 28 2017, 05:57 PM)
how about just boot using Chrome OS? you can boot from a USB drive.
i thought flickering = either monitor,bad driver or GPU will kong. this is what i experienced before.

wow. so kns the AOC warranty claim. should ask them to proof to you instead.
Nahh, not going to do any testing anymore
Fedup with the monitor

Actually, AOC tech support / warranty claim is really great
They collected the monitor and sent me the replacement unit the next day
They also sent another replacement after the previous unit also had the same issue on day 3
And both units that they've provided are completely new unit, not refurbished / repaired unit
They work really fast

Also they've agreed to give me a full refund without any questions after I've proven that the issue is not from my system
horns
post Aug 28 2017, 10:26 PM

\m/

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Aug 28 2017, 07:45 PM)
Nope, nothing to do with my case
It's okay, AOC agreed to give me full refund

Nahh, not going to do any testing anymore
Fedup with the monitor

Actually, AOC tech support / warranty claim is really great
They collected the monitor and sent me the replacement unit the next day
They also sent another replacement after the previous unit also had the same issue on day 3
And both units that they've provided are completely new unit, not refurbished / repaired unit
They work really fast

Also they've agreed to give me a full refund without any questions after I've proven that the issue is not from my system
this kind of support is not great. it's exceptional. we really need to give them all the credits for this kind of customer supports. they deserve every bit of it.

let's see if their 35" g-sync agon can reach here in Malaysia.

edit: these days it's very hard to find personnel or organization with such dedications already. most of them usually find excuses to get rid of us consumers.

This post has been edited by horns: Aug 28 2017, 11:45 PM
horns
post Aug 29 2017, 01:26 PM

\m/

it's almost official, wd is buying over toshiba's chip memory unit, http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201708270028.html

after sandisk, now toshiba. both also produce good stuff. hopefully we will have products from wd that are worth paying attention to.

sHawTY
post Aug 29 2017, 02:50 PM

Frequent Reporter

QUOTE(horns @ Aug 28 2017, 10:26 PM)
let's see if their 35" g-sync agon can reach here in Malaysia.
Not gonna buy any AOC anymore in the future, I'm not saying their quality is bad, their quality is really good, my other 2 units of AOC 24" LCD monitor still works perfectly with zero dead pixel after 4 years
It's just that this experience makes me think twice about getting anything from AOC again

On the other hand, Samsung C32HG70 is coming to Malaysia in September wub.gif
horns
post Aug 29 2017, 07:32 PM

\m/

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Aug 29 2017, 02:50 PM)
Not gonna buy any AOC anymore in the future, I'm not saying their quality is bad, their quality is really good, my other 2 units of AOC 24" LCD monitor still works perfectly with zero dead pixel after 4 years
It's just that this experience makes me think twice about getting anything from AOC again

On the other hand, Samsung C32HG70 is coming to Malaysia in September wub.gif
i just wanna try it out for a change smile.gif yeah there are some nice options coming out in near future.
horns
post Aug 30 2017, 08:34 PM

\m/

in case anyone with samsung ssds who look for the proper warranty claim process in Malaysia:

- first of all, keep a copy of proof of purchase, i.e. invoice (if you're not provided with this during purchase, ask for one; take a picture with your phone as backup, and keep it safe)

- in general, all local retail units are qualified for a full warranty period (warranty period depends on models). samsung ssd warranty is claimed through the original seller that you purchased your ssd from. from there they will contact their distributors for rma arrangements. this includes retail shops, and online shops; if it's an online shop, double check their warranty policy for samsung ssd.

for instance, at lazada there are actually 2 types of warranty for samsung ssds:
1. warranty covered by sellers, local supplier warranty - this means the warranty is fully covered by the seller and they are responsible for claiming warranty for your ssd also. (1st year is a free service; for the rest of warranty period a service fee might be charged; better make all these clear before purchase);

2. warranty covered by manufacturers, local manufacturer warranty - samsung has an official store at lazada. it offers a different warranty support. for this one you need to send the ssd to the authorized service centers. if you saw this type of warranty, make sure the seller provides you with a proper service center contact. if they don't, ask for one. if they cannot give you one, or you failed to contact or verify such a service center, please don't buy from the seller. this is because i noticed there are some sellers, like this one, http://www.lazada.com.my/samsung-850evo-25...w-17292414.html are offering only 1-year warranty for a samsung 850 evo, and they claimed that it's warranted under local manufacturer warranty. (i don't know; sounds like bullshit to me)

- the warranty of all local retail units can only be claimed in Malaysia. samsung doesn't have international warranty coverage for ssd.

Songchien
post Aug 31 2017, 10:44 PM

Getting Started

Hey guys, any thoughts on samsung pm951 256gb nvme ssd?

is 280mb write speed considered slow? cuz even samsung 850 evo has almost double of its write speed.

25 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1049sec    5.74    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th May 2018 - 09:50 PM