Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
21 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The SSD Thread V6, Solid State Drive, Continued.

views

TShorns
post Aug 22 2017, 11:52 PM, updated 4y ago

\m/
3,036 posts

Official SSD Discussion Thread V6

Previous Threads
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Introduction
A solid-state drive (SSD, sometimes improperly referred to as a "solid-state disk" or "electronic disk") is a data storage device that uses integrated circuit assemblies as memory to store data persistently. SSD technology uses electronic interfaces compatible with traditional block input/output (I/O) hard disk drives. SSDs do not employ any moving mechanical components, which distinguishes them from traditional magnetic disks such as hard disk drives (HDDs) or floppy disks, which are electromechanical devices containing spinning disks and movable read/write heads. Compared with electromechanical disks, SSDs are typically less susceptible to physical shock, are silent, and have lower access time and latency, but are, at 2011 market prices, more expensive per unit of storage. The prices have continued to decline in 2012.

SSDs share the I/O interface technology developed for hard disk drives, thus permitting simple replacement for most applications.
As of 2010, most SSDs use NAND-based flash memory, which retains data without power. For applications requiring fast access, but not necessarily data persistence after power loss, SSDs may be constructed from random-access memory (RAM). Such devices may employ separate power sources, such as batteries, to maintain data after power loss.

Hybrid drives combine the features of SSDs and HDDs in the same unit, containing a large hard disk drive and an SSD cache to improve performance of frequently accessed data. These devices may offer near-SSD performance for many applications.

The SSD Optimization Guide
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimiz...zation-guide-2/
2018 version, http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/opt...imization-2018/

SSD related Tools and Ultilities
HDDTune, http://www.hdtune.com/download.html
AS SSD Benchmark, http://alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php...4&download_id=9
ATTO Disk Brench, https://www.atto.com/disk-benchmark/
CrystalDiskMark, http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDi...rk/index-e.html
SSDlife, http://ssd-life.com/eng/download-ssdlife.html

SSD Performance Charts
All SSD Charts 2012 [benchmarks] - http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/ssd-cha...hmarks,129.html
All SSD RAID 0 Charts 2011 [benchmarks] - http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/ssd-rai...hmarks,120.html
Best SSDs For The Money (Auto Update) - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-re...hmark,3269.html
SSD Reviews - http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150954

Reference and Sources
http://www.anandtech.com/print/2829
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?opti...d=444&Itemid=60
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2...sd-controller/1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

Common SSD Firmware and Updates

This post has been edited by horns: Feb 20 2018, 11:11 PM
TShorns
post Aug 22 2017, 11:53 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

Some Tutorials & FAQs about SSD (Solid State Drive)

Updated on 23 August 2017
Some corrections on the answers provided from websites

So what is it that makes an SSD so much faster than an HDD?

I have read that SSDs have very limited write cycles, and they don't last long. Is this true?

I have read that SSDs slow down after prolonged use. Is this true?

How does Internal Secure Erase work on an SSD?

Over-provisioning. What is it, and how does it work?

Why do smaller capacity SSDs tend to be slower than higher capacity drives?

What about services or programs in my operating system such as indexing, pre-fetching, write-caching, defrag etc?

What is TRIM?

What settings do I need to adjust in my system BIOS for optimal SSD performance?

Are SSDs compatible with SATA I & II ?

What is the difference between SLC and MLC flash memory chips?

If I'm using an older OS such as Vista or XP, will I still get the performance benefits of SSDs?

What is the life expectancy of my SSD?

How can I move my data onto my new SSD?

How long will my SSD last?

Does benchmarking my SSD decrease lifespan?

Will my SSD get hot?

Do I need to format my SSD? Why doesn't the drive appear in "My Computer" (Windows) or in "Finder" (Mac)?

How do I find out the firmware version on my SSD?

Reference Links
1. http://club.myce.com/f138/what-ssd-ssd-faq-297856/
2. http://ocz.com/consumer/ssd-guide/ssd-faqs

This post has been edited by horns: Aug 23 2017, 01:36 AM
TShorns
post Aug 22 2017, 11:53 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

Updated on 07 November 2017

The FAQs continue on here with YouTube videos.
I do realize sometimes it is hard to understand by just read all of the sources through websites/articles. So some short videos are provided below, and hope that they can help to save you some time by just watching tongue.gif .

What is Intel Optane?

SSD Flash Memory - MLC, TLC, and SLC

3D NAND as Fast As Possible

The Intel SSD Advantage

SSD vs Hard Drive Performance

Windows 7 install and SSD upgrade

How to properly configure the SSD as boot drive and HDD as storage drive

How to Transfer your Boot Drive to your New Intel SSD - Data Migration

What is TRIM and Why Does Your SSD Need It?

The benefits of using a SSD

This post has been edited by horns: Nov 7 2017, 05:19 PM
TShorns
post Aug 23 2017, 01:09 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Aug 23 2017, 11:02 AM)
Anyone knows who is the Malaysia official distributor for Samsung SSD?
My 950 Pro is starting to show it's defect, it's causing my FreeSync monitor to flicker
The screen will flicker everytime the HDD LED is blinking showing there's an activity on the SSD

After switching to 960 Pro, the flickering completely stop sweat.gif
about samsung official distributors, not really sure about this. maybe it's servex, https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/505086 afaik, samsung always redirected its users back to the shop they got their ssds. so alternatively you can find shops that offer paid rma service support, like idealtech iinm.

hm flickering effects on display.. i haven't experienced it with the old sm951 and newer 960 evo.

when i looked this up, it looked like it's not a common problem, and might be related to other things like os (w10) did you do a clean install to make sure?
TShorns
post Aug 23 2017, 01:26 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Aug 23 2017, 01:19 PM)
I've tried everything, including changing my platform from Z97 (LGA 1150) to X99 (LGA 2011) & switching to Windows 7

As I've mentioned earlier, the flickering stops immediately after I switch to 960 Pro
Also tested with a normal 2.5" SATA SSD, the flickering stops too, and when I re-installed the 950 Pro, the flickering comes back
wow you have done some many things to make sure ok got it lol

looks like it really is samsung 950 pro's issue. a pretty weird one. it's also weird that no one with 950 pro reported this before. there must be something that caused this to happen.

TShorns
post Aug 23 2017, 02:17 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(Lurker @ Aug 23 2017, 01:52 PM)
Have tried with different monitors?
good point.

this case actually made me very curious about the actual culprit. if it's really the monitor, then how come 960x are not affected?
TShorns
post Aug 23 2017, 02:57 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Aug 23 2017, 02:32 PM)
I did. AOC technician came to my house and brought a new replacement unit (still sealed) + a different model of FreeSync monitor and the flickering is still there when I use my 950 Pro

I know it's weird but as I've mentioned earlier, the problem stops immediately when I switch to 960 Pro
It's been 2 days ever since I made the switch to 960 Pro and the flickering still hasn't come back. Tested running multiple games, the monitor is still running perfectly
Inside both SSD has fresh copy of Windows 10, also tested with multiple version of AMD drivers

Also bought a new unit of RX 550 to test the monitor because my first thought is that my R9 390X is faulty

PS: The only thing I haven't tried is using a different PSU (currently running on Corsair RM850i), but ever since 960 Pro has stopped the flickering, I malas nak test already laugh.gif

I understand both of you may think "what does SSD has anything to do with the monitor?"
I used to think that way too, but alas it still happens LOL laugh.gif
you are right i do have that doubt lol but i think it might relate to freesync monitors only. i don't have freesync monitors. i only have those with gsync and standard, and 960x for now so i cannot help confirm this

edit: however it's really weird these new techs can still create conflicts such as this one. thanks for this heads up anyway. it's really a good fiind imo

This post has been edited by horns: Aug 23 2017, 02:58 PM
TShorns
post Aug 23 2017, 10:19 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Aug 23 2017, 08:10 PM)
I spoke too soon sweat.gif
Just when I arrive home, the flickering is back
So the 950 Pro is not at fault here

The flickering only happens when I enable FreeSync. If I disable it in AMD Radeon Settings, the flickering is gone, but what's the use of buying a FreeSync monitor then?
The monitor runs perfectly within the first month when I bought it
Then AOC replaced it with a new unit, also they brought another FreeSync monitor (different model) to test, the flickering is still there

Then I tested the monitor with a different computer, the flickering doesn't happen at all, so I know it's my system
The last thing I haven't tried is testing it with a different power supply. Could it be my PSU that's causing this? rclxub.gif
QUOTE(marfccy @ Aug 23 2017, 08:47 PM)
you can take a look at this, might be relevant

it's the freesync after all; more like flickersync now :/

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Aug 23 2017, 09:17 PM)
To be honest, I've been thinking of going down that road myself
But to switch to G-Sync monitor + 1080Ti, is going to involve a lot of money

I've banned Nvidia a few years ago when 2 of my GTX 260 couldn't SLI properly no matter how many hardwares I've changed
Perhaps it's time to give the green camp another try
come come! here is very green, and stable, and nice lol

damn i am in the middle of planning an upgrade to a threadripper system for a change (already 10k+ just for cpu, mobo, ram and cpu cooler; my first personal computer with 128gb ram lol) this actually makes me think again :/

TShorns
post Aug 23 2017, 11:49 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Aug 23 2017, 10:20 PM)
I doubt that, because the monitor was running fine the first month I bought it
The problem started 4 days after I switch my casing from Phanteks Enthoo Luxe to Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Now no matter what I tried, the issue is still there. Except changing PSU & going back to the previous casing I used. Really don't like vertical casing, that's why I decided  to use the HAF XB EVO, but the percentage of a casing causing the flickering is 1 in a million. It's just a casing after all, and I've tried disconnecting all the cables from the casing but the flickering is still there so it's definitely not the casing

Let's get back to topic
This is an SSD thread after all laugh.gif

Thank god my 950 Pro is not the cause of the issue
hopefully everything will be fine for you. yeah luckily it's not the issue of 950 pro smile.gif

QUOTE(marfccy @ Aug 23 2017, 10:36 PM)
i want to upgrade too, but considering my setup is already overkill for mainly what it does.. sweat.gif

better just stay on it, its working fine afterall. except my CPU is rather hot in an mITX form
i need more horse power for work at home. if it's not about work i will not get 960 pro actually lol (i'm actually very happy with sm951 already)

for gaming 4790k is still ok; gpu is more important.

oh a note about ssd and work (with work loads that involve intensive writes): always choose mlc ssds for this. i noticed total host writes are relatively higher with tlc drives compared to mlc drives.

This post has been edited by horns: Aug 23 2017, 11:51 PM
TShorns
post Aug 24 2017, 12:49 AM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(marfccy @ Aug 24 2017, 12:10 AM)
TLC chugs once the SLC cache is filled, thats how bad TLC is in terms of performance consistency

so far all TLC drives point towards fast and burst power, but fails compared to MLC in terms of sustained performance

yeah good CPU. just hot af sweat.gif

using Noctua L9x65, idling at like 45-55C. but at least doesnt exceed 95C for load. this is on Giga's default setting for CPU, where it can chug up to 140W at its peak. i reach 95C point with even 104W
yeah tlc drives are really meant for client usage, or those with a lot of reads but relatively few writes. in those areas, they will do fine.

i wonder what will happen when qlc drives start to populate.

--

for cpu, go water if possible; invest on at least a 240 aio. my cpu is always at 35c at idle, and still below 75c under long-hour gaming sessions and loads after all the years.

(it's the same aio; never changed it; i do maintain it like annually to clean up rad and fans for dust)

TShorns
post Aug 24 2017, 12:52 AM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(Skylinestar @ Aug 24 2017, 12:18 AM)
does corsair still sell ssd locally?
i think they do. i still can find it at idealtech's priice list.
TShorns
post Aug 24 2017, 02:18 AM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(marfccy @ Aug 24 2017, 01:38 AM)
mITX case laugh.gif

could squash it in, but a very tight fit

but for the price i paid for the noctua.. i couldve went AIO 120mm like H45 :sweat
oh, maybe it's too tight.

it's better to stay air-cooled if the other option is 120 aio. (120 aio is ok for gpu, but not cpu)

--

talking about tlc drives again, i might be thinking too much. i forgot that tlc nand technology is now multiple-layer 3d/v-nand (the currently populating tlc nand is 64-layer; 960 evo has the 48-layer) they have much better relative endurance than the previous versions.

well, time will tell.

TShorns
post Aug 25 2017, 12:55 AM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Aug 24 2017, 09:10 PM)
Even changing the PSU doesn't do a damn thing doh.gif

Next week on long holiday gonna remove all the hardwares & fans then install part by part
Really need to find the source of this flickering

Could it be the casing that's causing this? Afterall, the flickering starts 4 days after I switch casing mega_shok.gif

List of the things I've tried:
1. Change motherboard, processor & RAM - flickering
2. Change graphic card - flickering
3. Fresh format to Windows 7 - flickering
4. Use older radeon drivers - flickering
5. Change PSU - flickering
6. Change monitor - flickering
7. Use a SATA SSD - flickering
8. Transfer my R9 390X & RX550 to a different PC - No flickering, so it's definitely my PC sweat.gif
well, good luck man; it's really frustrating. i don't really think it's the pc case but who knows?

in another computer, did you use the freesync display and turn freesync on?

QUOTE(Maxieos @ Aug 24 2017, 11:36 PM)
Thanks , sorry for the late reply. I don't think there's an SSD bios.Hope you can help a hand here.
Dell inspiron year before 2010 , check it had ACHI.

What are the cheapest SSD year around yet reliable ? Samsung ? I remember last time intel 320 with 5 years warranty which really good.
Storage at lease 160GB.
Thanks again smile.gif
from what you have highlighted, i think your laptop is ok for a ssd since the bios has ahci. it's most probable that you will reuse the ssd when you replace the laptop, so i think a 240gb range ssd should be good for you in future.

samsung 850 evo is still the better sata-based mainstream option imo. unless you have a tight budget, go with 850 evo 250gb at least.

edit: the sweet spot since last year is supposed to be 512gb in terms of capacity. (meaning same price of a 240gb range for last year but its capacity doubles; in fact in the US, the sweet spot is 1tb this year) here it sort of happened, but just not really what we want. (weak currency make us consumers buy expensive stuff for no reason)

This post has been edited by horns: Aug 25 2017, 03:43 AM
TShorns
post Aug 25 2017, 12:05 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Aug 25 2017, 07:38 AM)
I did. Triple check to make sure it's my own PC's fault, not the power line of my house or the external cables
.. pening :/

there are a few more options that you might wanna try:
1. put the gpu into different pcie slots;
2. connect the display cable to different gpu ports;
3. change display cable;
4. reset mobo bios to default.

i found this, https://community.amd.com/thread/216401 it's like related to your situation. amd guy said there is an open issue about freesync and flickering (except for the last part of your previous diagnosis)

edit: for now, i think it's better to turn freesync off first, until amd confirmed there is a proper fix for this via driver updates. if not, you can create a thread for this, because i really think it requires attention to other users as well.

This post has been edited by horns: Aug 25 2017, 12:08 PM
TShorns
post Aug 25 2017, 01:07 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Aug 25 2017, 12:44 PM)
1. Done. Both my Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1 & ASUS X99-Pro has multiple PCI-e ports, tested all of them, still flickering
2. Done. Bought a new RX 550 just to test this matter, 100% new, not used unit, still flickering
3. Done. Done, bought a new premium DP cable, still flickering
4. Done. Done for both motherboards, still flickering

Still flickering away like there's no tomorrow laugh.gif

Nevermind, I'm just gonna wait until 31st October to strip out everything and install part by part
Also gonna try to run the system naked to see if the HAF XB Evo is the fault for this issue
.. good luck. it's a bad experience, even not as owner. it's been a long while that i need to solve something without positive outcomes lol

edit: seriously made me think twice to get that all-amd setup for now. it's really too bad.

This post has been edited by horns: Aug 25 2017, 01:14 PM
TShorns
post Aug 25 2017, 03:50 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(Mr.7 @ Aug 25 2017, 02:49 PM)
Anyone using nvme m.2 in the mobo slot here?  Can advise me on the temperature? Does it get heat easily?
no i am using pcie adapter with heat sinks.

for safer operations with m.2 slots, i suggest using this, https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4350658

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Aug 25 2017, 03:43 PM)
On ASUS X99-Pro, the temperatures when I use my 950 Pro on the built-in M.2 slot are actually lower than using the 950 Pro on ASUS Hyper M.2 X4 riser
i thought this one is a pcie adapter without heat sinks? i have 2 of these, older version, never used them before.

This post has been edited by horns: Aug 25 2017, 03:50 PM
TShorns
post Aug 25 2017, 04:41 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(Mr.7 @ Aug 25 2017, 04:34 PM)
Thanks for the clarification. Can u suggest any pcie adapter with heat sinks? Searched lelong doesnt seem to have it.
i don't think there is one selling locally. there is an alternative with active cooling, https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=85912253

mine is this one, http://www.bplus.com.tw/Adapter/M2P4A.html (ugly, but it works well)

TShorns
post Aug 26 2017, 12:10 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(NightFelix @ Aug 26 2017, 09:38 AM)
Parking on the new SSD V6 thread. biggrin.gif

Just wondering, if RM500 budget, best bang for buck could get right now is Samsung EVO 850 256GB right?

Second question, what to check when buying a refurbished (or possible used but not refurb) of SSD?
welcome back biggrin.gif

1. yes i believe 850 evo 250gb is still the best bang for buck if you compared price points of other ssds of similar capacities; in c-zone price list:

GALAX V100T 240GB (warranty: 3yrs) - 407
KINGSTON UV400 240GB (warranty: 3yrs) - 422
PNY CS900 240GB PNY (warranty: 3yrs) - 405
PNY CS1311B 256GB (warranty: 3yrs) - 432
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB (warranty: 5yrs) - 487
WD GREEN 240GB (warranty: 3yrs) - 405
WD BLUE 250GB (warranty: 3yrs) - 454

from the list above it's like the most expensive one; if i factored in longer warranty, and rapid mode feature, it's better.

2. for used drives, i suggest check at least its total host writes with crystal diskinfo. it must be fully functional, and can be verified with manufacturer's toolbox software. however it's more about mutual trust mostly. honest sellers will usually tell you more about how they used the drives, and are confident and kind enough to give you a short period of personal warranty. just don't abuse it; honest people are very rare.

edit: my sm951 was a used one, in very good shape. the seller is a nice guy. he even took the initiative to follow up after the deal was long done. i am very thankful for that.

This post has been edited by horns: Aug 26 2017, 12:17 PM
TShorns
post Aug 27 2017, 03:29 AM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(Maxieos @ Aug 27 2017, 01:05 AM)
Thanks for telling , now I am looking on how to backup and retain the partition.Cloning but increase in spacing.
Old laptop somehow with only 10+GB free space and there is only windows 7 old license in the hard disk.Need to clone , retain Dell boot sector , increase window 7 spacing.
Anyhow do you have any idea which software about to do it ?
-retain 3 partition of dell ( Healthy OEM 39MB , RECOVERY 15GB , OS around 100GB )
-Increase OS to 180GB
-Create a Logical partition of the remaining space.

We all also have no luck where our currency never get improve and never drop below 4 conversion to USD , merchant are allow to increase price of item after g$t according to their preference.Mining affected GC price increase. sad.gif So much factor facing this year.

Hope everything will turn back better next year.

Back to topic , any suggestion of software doing that ? should I worry what I read about 4k alignment or something ?
if you need to clone it, you can use macrium reflect to do it, or use samsung's data migraton softare, http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minis...load/tools.html

you might need to resize the partitions after successful cloning. sorry i do clean installs most of the times. you can use nirsoft's produkey to get the w7 product key just in case that key is not at the back of your laptop (or battery compartment.

about 4k alignment issue, it might not happen. however if it does, i think it's a relatively easy fix. i think macrium reflect can handle that also.

QUOTE(NyD-WiLL @ Aug 27 2017, 02:20 AM)
Hi, first time using ssd here. Just got my Samsung 850 Evo yesterday. May i know is my ssd status good or not?

[attachmentid=9080677]
[attachmentid=9080678]
And what this mean? Where can i download that?
i think the benchmark is ok. don't run too many times of benchmark. it's not good for your ssd.

use samsung magician to check, http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minis...load/tools.html

if it's detected correctly that means it's all good.

TShorns
post Aug 27 2017, 04:40 PM

\m/
3,036 posts

QUOTE(NyD-WiLL @ Aug 27 2017, 02:57 PM)
[attachmentid=9081093]

Thanks. Now got other questions. What is Rapid Mode for? Should i on it? Should i run the Performance Optimization and Over Provisioning?
in short, rapid mode is ram-based cache-like feature that boosts samsung ssd. if you have 16gb of ram or more, turn this on.

you should run performance optimization, and turn over provisioning on. performance optimization is to optimize your os for ssd use; while op is to help maintain r/w speed when the disk is almost full. just stick to default for normal usage. (it's adjustable so increase or decrease it when necessary)

note that all the above are just options that you can turn on or off if necessary, especially when you find software that are not compatible. (which is very rare, but who knows?)

21 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0834sec    0.59    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:26 PM