Investors Club V10, Previously known as Traders Kopitiam

views

moosset
post Dec 10 2019, 08:07 PM

Regular
1,917 posts

QUOTE(Cubalagi @ Dec 10 2019, 07:51 PM)
In this case, EUR is not relevant.

If I convert MYR to EUR, I'd lose 36 EUR compared to previous conversion. >> MYR has weakened compared to EUR.

so I don't need to wait until MYR appreciate against EUR? Just convert to EUR and buy that instrument?
Cubalagi
post Dec 10 2019, 08:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,788 posts

QUOTE(moosset @ Dec 10 2019, 08:07 PM)
If I convert MYR to EUR, I'd lose 36 EUR compared to previous conversion. >> MYR has weakened compared to EUR.

so I don't need to wait until MYR appreciate against EUR? Just convert to EUR and buy that instrument?
Yes.

I would imagine the returns of your US underlying instrument (CSP1 is it?), would be a bit lousy this past 1 month.
moosset
post Dec 10 2019, 08:28 PM

Regular
1,917 posts

QUOTE(Cubalagi @ Dec 10 2019, 08:26 PM)
Yes.

I would imagine the returns of your US underlying instrument (CSP1 is it?), would be a bit lousy this past 1 month.
but it would be better if MYR appreciated against EUR right? Then I get more EUR.

yeah, feel like no movement at all. I'm considering value-averaging rather than DCA now...
Cubalagi
post Dec 10 2019, 11:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,788 posts

QUOTE(moosset @ Dec 10 2019, 08:28 PM)
but it would be better if MYR appreciated against EUR right? Then I get more EUR.

EUR appreciate vs USD and
U want MYR to appreciate vs EUR

I guess that's the wish of many Malaysians.. 😆

This post has been edited by Cubalagi: Dec 11 2019, 01:33 AM
nikewee
post Dec 11 2019, 02:21 PM

On my way
670 posts

QUOTE(Purestaff @ Dec 10 2019, 04:00 AM)
It seems to me that the best time to trade stock market is the period of quarterly reporting, when the situation becomes more transparent and we have accurate figures that show what is happening in one or another area at the moment. I've noticed the tendency that some companies are running contradictory information and at a time when everything is talking about the decline in the value of their shares, they are still growing in price. Each time I find different explanations for this, for example, with large earnings the company increases the number of stocks and so on. But in general, this is an interesting format, and for those who trade on the forex market, and for those who prefer other directions in the market.
from my observation so far...insider news flying everywhere...unless you have source, else the stock will fly before QR report out.
When the report out, ikan bilis buy in and big boss sell out...

my observation...*
moosset
post Dec 13 2019, 08:09 AM

Regular
1,917 posts

now, how will the UK election results affect the stock market?
Cubalagi
post Dec 15 2019, 03:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,788 posts

QUOTE(moosset @ Dec 13 2019, 08:09 AM)
now, how will the UK election results affect the stock market?
Good for stock market, one less uncertainty. Probably not good for UK long term tho.

With this and US-China Phase 1 "historic deal" . 😆.. I hope we can hv good run in the market until CNY at least.

This post has been edited by Cubalagi: Dec 15 2019, 03:27 PM
moosset
post Dec 16 2019, 02:22 PM

Regular
1,917 posts

QUOTE(Cubalagi @ Nov 8 2019, 01:24 PM)
The underlying is USD, so doesn't matter unless after you sell u keep EUR a long time.
I'm holding some €€€ now to wait for some buy opportunity.
My acc with IB is cash-upfront so I can't place any order unless I've cash in the acc. Maybe this is not smart?
and since I'm buying Irish-domiciled US stock denominated in EUR, any depreciation in € is still bad for me right? Or is it still irrelevant?
Moneylust
post Dec 16 2019, 06:42 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

No bull run sad.gif

QUOTE(Cubalagi @ Dec 15 2019, 03:02 PM)
Good for stock market, one less uncertainty. Probably not good for UK long term tho.

With this and US-China Phase 1 "historic deal" . 😆.. I hope we can hv good run in the market until CNY at least.
Cubalagi
post Dec 16 2019, 10:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,788 posts

QUOTE(Moneylust @ Dec 16 2019, 06:42 PM)
No bull run  sad.gif
Malaysian bull maybe a bit slow to wake up... 😅

Europe bulls are up. Let's see the US one tonight.
Cubalagi
post Dec 16 2019, 10:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,788 posts

QUOTE(moosset @ Dec 16 2019, 02:22 PM)

and since I'm buying Irish-domiciled US stock denominated in EUR, any depreciation in € is still bad for me right? Or is it still irrelevant?
U hv asked this Q many times..😆

What matter to u is the US underlying asset. In terms of currency, the EUR is just an intermediary currency.

I don't trade in Europe, but I do trade HK in Chinese stocks/ETF and I experience the same effect. HKD here is another intermediary currency. Basically the Chinese stocks, say Tencent, earn mostly in RMB, but the stock is trading in HKD, which is pegged to USD. In times of RMB strengthening* vs USD (hence HKD), the stock will outperform in HKD terms. This is because the profit is now more in HKD terms.

* However, RMB is closely correlated with MYR, so usually you will see MYR strengthening as well, nullifying the gain from MYR perspective.

So, if the Euro is depreciating vs US, all others things being constant, the stock will go up in EUR terms. So u shouldn't worry.
moosset
post Dec 17 2019, 12:33 AM

Regular
1,917 posts

QUOTE(Cubalagi @ Dec 16 2019, 10:27 PM)
U hv asked this Q many times..😆

What matter to u is the US underlying asset. In terms of currency, the EUR is just an intermediary currency.

I don't trade in Europe, but I do trade HK in Chinese stocks/ETF and I experience the same effect. HKD here is another intermediary currency. Basically the Chinese stocks, say Tencent, earn mostly in RMB, but the stock is trading in HKD, which is pegged to USD. In times of RMB strengthening* vs USD (hence HKD), the stock will outperform in HKD terms. This is because the profit is now more in HKD terms.

* However, RMB is closely correlated with MYR, so usually you will see MYR strengthening as well, nullifying the gain from MYR perspective.

So, if the Euro is depreciating vs US, all others things being constant, the stock will go up in EUR terms. So u shouldn't worry.
thanks for the response, I've accepted this after you last reply and much deliberation.

The question is, is it smart to hold the intermediate currency in cash in the trading account?
that means I have a balance of a few thousand euros, sitting there waiting for a buying opportunity.

As you said, it's ok the hold the EUR-denominated US-underlying stocks. What about EUR cash in the trading account?
Should I change the EUR to SGD first and wait?

This post has been edited by moosset: Dec 17 2019, 12:39 AM
Cubalagi
post Dec 17 2019, 01:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,788 posts

QUOTE(Cubalagi @ Dec 16 2019, 10:09 PM)
Malaysian bull maybe a bit slow to wake up... 😅

Europe bulls are up. Let's see the US one tonight.
US bull n HK bull up. Malaysia still sleep..

Cubalagi
post Dec 17 2019, 01:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,788 posts

QUOTE(moosset @ Dec 17 2019, 12:33 AM)
thanks for the response, I've accepted this after you last reply and much deliberation.

The question is, is it smart to hold the intermediate currency in cash in the trading account?
that means I have a balance of a few thousand euros, sitting there waiting for a buying opportunity.

As you said, it's ok the hold the EUR-denominated US-underlying stocks. What about EUR cash in the trading account?
Should I change the EUR to SGD first and wait?
That's a different story.. Outlook of EUR vs other currencies. I don't hold or plan to hold EUR, so I don't have any view of the Euro.

My investment view is bearish USD in the short term at least.

Moneylust
post Dec 17 2019, 07:17 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

Looks like 'the world's worst stock market' will keep its title bangwall.gif

Maybe I should just buy ChinaETF instead of individual Bursa stocks.

Do you plan to hold on to your GoldETF or sell, since the trade war will likely cool off at least until after US elections?

QUOTE(Cubalagi @ Dec 17 2019, 01:43 PM)
This post has been edited by Moneylust: Dec 17 2019, 07:19 PM
djhenry91
post Dec 17 2019, 07:45 PM

Slow and Steady
6,763 posts

lol..u guys duno malaysia klci main syok sendiri meh...
bursa market cannot handle, want touch wat foregin etf
moosset
post Dec 17 2019, 08:05 PM

Regular
1,917 posts

QUOTE(Cubalagi @ Dec 17 2019, 01:43 PM)
I think we rely on (1) local gov investment like KWSP, Khazanah and PNB, and (2) foreign investment.

Maybe not many individual players in Bursa?
djhenry91
post Dec 18 2019, 12:00 AM

Slow and Steady
6,763 posts

QUOTE(moosset @ Dec 17 2019, 08:05 PM)
I think we rely on (1) local gov investment like KWSP, Khazanah and PNB, and (2) foreign investment.

Maybe not many individual players in Bursa?
got foreign investment ar..got unit trust fund ar..
and we reply on insti fund, wat u mean wor..
cherroy
post Dec 18 2019, 09:20 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Staff
25,759 posts

Foreign institution investment fund generally are divesting across many countries in SEA as well, they are piling up back into US stock market whereby they are having superb bull run in many decades.

Malaysia, Sg, Thai bourses generally are lagging behind.
Taiwan and Japan are bourses that performing well in Asia, as Taiwan has many listed companies in the area of related to 5G industry, particularly TSMC.

Over the year, those performing well generally are tech and 5G related, even in US stock market also has similar trend.

Cubalagi
post Dec 18 2019, 10:19 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,788 posts

QUOTE(djhenry91 @ Dec 17 2019, 07:45 PM)
lol..u guys duno malaysia klci main syok sendiri meh...
bursa market cannot handle, want touch wat foregin etf
It's called diversification bro.. And it's one of the free lunch in investing.

https://investorjunkie.com/investing/divers...ion-free-lunch/

Tbh I find etf investing easy, easier than stocks. Basically, I still do stock picking for Malaysian/SG stocks but use ETF to get exposure to other markets which I'm not so familiar/too lazy to do stock research and to gain access to other asset classes like bonds and gold.

250 Pages « < 237 238 239 240 241 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0252sec    0.20    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:48 PM