Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> LYN OFFICIAL VAPING THREAD V35, Where Clouds and Flavors Meet - VapeOn

views

babykon101
post Apr 12 2017, 08:14 PM

Bodyslammin' Sailormoon
584 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Apr 12 2017, 07:18 PM)
While that is a valid point, like every other hobby, there might be lessons to be gained from advancing a step at a time. Especially with something as complicated as Vaping.

The journey is probably just as (or maybe even more) important as the end result, simply as a Vaper needs the experience gained to define the kind of Vaper he is anyway. I mean, if everyone vapes the same, we should all be walking around with Provaris and Kayfuns in hand by now.

That said, I don't condone starting out blindly either - at least mod wise.

Personally I say get a Joyetech-chipped mod... ANY of them, they perform about the same both in TC and Wattage (that is, decently) and use the hell out of that to start with.

If your JT mod grows insufficient, and you want more "tinkering"/customization (and installing ArticWolf isn't scratching your itch any more)... get a mass market (not Boutique yer) DNA device.

If you still need to go up, then MAYBE get a Dicodes/Procyon/Whatever Boutique Stabwood DNA that Catches Your Fancy... but at this point you should already understand that past a mass market DNA device, you mostly only get diminishing returns, performance wise.

As for the costs incurred doing things this way, well, you don't expect to learn more and advance as a Vaper for free, don't you? Think of it as tuition costs, which shouldn't be CRAZY MAHALZ anyway if you keep yourself rational and only get stuff you really need along the way.

It'll be less cheap than a one shot buy of the best out there, but if you're gonna vape for any long amount of time, the "best" is not really gonna stay on top for that long either and it's gonna be outclassed by something or another within a year or two anyway.

So yeah.

However, YMMV. Horses for courses people, my opinion is of course just that and doesn't necessarily apply to all lol.
True. I spent so much on trying Flavours to find the 3 I like. Started out with icare from vb mid valley and moved on to vgod then to the other 2. 😅

kayent
post Apr 12 2017, 08:21 PM

Getting Started
209 posts

QUOTE(babykon101 @ Apr 12 2017, 08:10 PM)
Good point. Only tried dripper in shops when trying flavour and the Flavours really taste great. The reason I'm resisting trying dripper coz I have no idea how to estimate if the wick should be refilled or not. Just started out vaping two months ago sweat.gif
Should be easier to estimate the wick is dry or not if you using dripper. Cotton white or dry ady then drip. But if u chain vaping or u like to vape on the go then probably abit more of a hassle cuz u gotta redrip every now and then. (unless u use RDTA or squonks)

2 months but ur setup damn power la biggrin.gif . Slowly, the learning curve is endless. There's always something newer, bigger or better. Ppl always say this one the best, but I think what's best is what suits your vaping style based on your experience and usage.
Eiraku
post Apr 12 2017, 09:17 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(MatShadow @ Apr 12 2017, 07:43 PM)
Kesian Yihi... X selit pon dlm ur list.
Yihi's place is somewhere next to the DNAs... besides, if you've vaped long enough to want a DNA, you will of course be aware of the existence of Yihi chips already, ammarite?

That's just a simplified progress chart lol.

Though personally I prefer DNA's "keep it simple on the mod and do the crazy stuff on your PC" vs Yihi's (and to a lesser extent, Dicode's) "lets just put EVERYTHING in here" approach myself.

kayent Orrrrr you can just drip with a TC coil and use Temp Protect to keep you aware of your wicks drying up. It doesn't work 100% (you still get a whiff of Satan's underbrush) but at least TC Temp Protect will ensure that you won't burn straight through a dry wick in a momentary lapse of focus.

That said, most TC chips do have SOME issues making sense out of more complex full-TC coil setups (twisted, claps, aliens). Even my Joytech Mods sometime get kicked straight out of TC with some of my 316 dual-clap drippers.

In comparison, my DNAs do a lot better, as long as you punch in the required wire csv for the specific Clapton type used.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Apr 12 2017, 09:28 PM
babykon101
post Apr 12 2017, 09:24 PM

Bodyslammin' Sailormoon
584 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Apr 12 2017, 09:17 PM)
Yihi's place is somewhere next to the DNAs... besides, if you've vaped long enough to want a DNA, you will of course be aware of the existence of Yihi chips already, ammarite?

That's just a simplified progress chart lol.

Though personally I prefer DNA's "keep it simple on the mod and do the crazy stuff on your PC" vs Yihi's (and to a lesser extent, Dicode's) "lets just put EVERYTHING in here" approach myself.

kayent Orrrrr you can just drip on TC and use Temp Protect to keep you aware of your wicks drying up. It doesn't work 100% (you still get a whiff of Satan's underbrush) but at least TC Temp Protect will ensure that you won't burn straight through a dry wick in a momentary lapse of focus.
What's pc sweat.gif
Eiraku
post Apr 12 2017, 09:30 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(babykon101 @ Apr 12 2017, 09:24 PM)
What's pc sweat.gif
Computer lol. DNA Mods are computer configurable, to a frightening degree, through the eScribe software.

Once fully setup to your needs, you don't really require a computer for it though, unless you need to punch in a new wire csv or tweak a profile (which TBH never really happens once you've got it setup to your liking fully).

Yihi stuff has computer software as well, but I'm not sure if it's as configurable as DNA chips.

Where they both differ is I don't really think you need a PC to fully tweak a Yihi device at all - whereas a DNA device is practically crippled without access to a computer as far as tweaking goes.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Apr 12 2017, 09:42 PM
kayent
post Apr 12 2017, 09:39 PM

Getting Started
209 posts

Eiraku ahh TC. Love it or hate it but I've gone pass my TC days. Am a simple guy now. I love clouds. (though I cheat and do Mtl occasionally but on standard kanthal nowadays tongue.gif)

Eiraku
post Apr 12 2017, 09:47 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(kayent @ Apr 12 2017, 09:39 PM)
Eiraku ahh TC. Love it or hate it but I've gone pass my TC days. Am a simple guy now. I love clouds. (though I cheat and do Mtl occasionally but on standard kanthal nowadays tongue.gif)
Well to each their own, which is partly the beauty of Vaping to begin with.

I personally find that, when properly setup, my "simple" TC setups give me the least pain lol. Just isi and vape and rewick when needed.

Not to mention my SS coils last an eternity lol... the coils I have on right now have gone to Japan and back TWICE already: Once late last year with my Pico and then in late March with my Nano.

But that's just me. Some might not like the boring, moderated delivery of a TC coil anyway. Also, like I said before, running "complex" TC coils can be a PITA, especially on less sensitive Mods.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Apr 12 2017, 09:50 PM
gunners_my
post Apr 12 2017, 09:49 PM

Enthusiast
847 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Apr 12 2017, 10:30 PM)
Computer lol. DNA Mods are computer configurable, to a frightening degree, through the eScribe software.

Once fully setup to your needs, you don't really require a computer for it though, unless you need to punch in a new wire csv or tweak a profile (which TBH never really happens once you've got it setup to your liking fully).

Yihi stuff has computer software as well, but I'm not sure if it's as configurable as DNA chips.

Where they both differ is I don't really think you need a PC to fully tweak a Yihi device at all - whereas a DNA device is practically crippled without access to a computer as far as tweaking goes.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Yihi used to be good.. slightly behind DNA IMHO... but, recently I bought the IPV8.. OMG, terrible... I donno how to explain. But, the power seems very weak, unlike previous IPV especially when we do TC... I tuned around the TCR setting. Same. At the end, gave up and sold off after three days of frustration. Frankly, I think my pico and pico dual much better than the IPV8 despite the facts that IPV8 looks so cool on surface rclxub.gif
gunners_my
post Apr 12 2017, 09:52 PM

Enthusiast
847 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Apr 12 2017, 10:47 PM)
Well to each their own, which is partly the beauty of Vaping to begin with.

I personally find that, when properly setup, my "simple" TC setups give me the least pain lol. Just isi and vape. Plus my SS coils last an eternity lol... the coils I have on right now have gone to Japan and back TWICE already: Once late last year with my Pico and then in late March with my Nano.

But that's just me. Some might not like the boring, moderated delivery of a TC coil anyway. Also, like I said before, running "complex" TC coils can be a PITA, especially on less sensitive Mods.
bro.. one stupid question.. but, really bothering me. I sense that my SS316L seems not as lasting as khantal those days. After a week plus (roughly 15ml per day vape), it seems to lost flavour although from the look, it still seems good. So, kinda shocked when u mentioned that your SS lasted so long. So, my question is, how do we determine when to change the SS coil? BTW, I vape most of the time at 30-50w with 380-480 F.. plain liquid without sweetener...

This post has been edited by gunners_my: Apr 12 2017, 09:53 PM
yesgoodbaby
post Apr 12 2017, 10:25 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

for anyone that prefer super duper cold.. go for Project Ice..
trust me.. i vape until brain freeze.. lol
most cold flavor i had try
Eiraku
post Apr 12 2017, 10:27 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(gunners_my @ Apr 12 2017, 09:52 PM)
bro.. one stupid question.. but, really bothering me. I sense that my SS316L seems not as lasting as khantal those days. After a week plus (roughly 15ml per day vape), it seems to lost flavour although from the look, it still seems good. So, kinda shocked when u mentioned that your SS lasted so long. So, my question is, how do we determine when to change the SS coil? BTW, I vape most of the time at 30-50w with 380-480 F.. plain liquid without sweetener...
Not sure lol. I just dryburn my coils and change JUST the wicks every time the flavor drops. I only really change my coils once it breaks or once the resistance reading goes haywire.

Just to put it out there, this is in regards to my ADV setup: Dual plain spaced coils at 0.4 ohms, 50w 500f, Naked 100 Lava Flow in the GMv3 with Kendo Gold cotton. On the Pico until March when the Pico broke and was replaced by the Nano.

Every time I rewick the Kendo cotton takes time to "break in" and achieve full flavour but yeah, my coils have been the same two 316 coils since November last year AT LEAST, with no real loss of performance except maybe a very slight increase in TC quirkiness (but not yet to the point of needing a replacement in my book).

So yeah. Not sure why your TC coils are lasting a week. Maybe you're just that much more sensitive to the coils changing flavour?

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Apr 12 2017, 10:31 PM
gunners_my
post Apr 12 2017, 10:38 PM

Enthusiast
847 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Apr 12 2017, 11:27 PM)
Not sure lol. I just dryburn my coils and change JUST the wicks every time the flavor drops. I only really change my coils once it breaks or once the resistance reading goes haywire.

Just to put it out there, this is in regards to my ADV setup: Dual plain spaced coils at 0.4 ohms, 50w 500f, Naked 100 Lava Flow in the GMv3 with Kendo Gold cotton. On the Pico until March when the Pico broke and was replaced by the Nano.

Every time I rewick the Kendo cotton takes time to "break in" and achieve full flavour but yeah, my coils have been the same two 316 coils since November last year AT LEAST, with no real loss of performance except maybe a very slight increase in TC quirkiness (but not yet to the point of needing a replacement in my book).

So yeah. Not sure why your TC coils are lasting a week. Maybe you're just that much more sensitive to the coils changing flavour?
wow.. what a new discoveries for me then. laugh.gif Frankly, I hardly on tanks. Most of the time I was on my dripper. So, perhaps that's the main reason I am a bit too sensitive to flavour changing... anyway, thanks for highlighting that. will squeeze my coil for longer time and see how. Appreciate that, bro thumbup.gif
andyng38
post Apr 13 2017, 01:33 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,105 posts

QUOTE(gunners_my @ Apr 12 2017, 09:52 PM)
Some time last year I bought a supercheap pocket microscope from shopee. One evening I decided to use it to view some coils. Holyfishcakes! The SS coil I had been rocking for about 6 or 7 weeks looked really pitted. Made me wonder where all the metal which came from those pits went to.

I now slap in fresh coils if the surface of the wire starts to feel a bit bumpy and mottled (after a dry burn). Figured that the bumpiness precedes the metal starting to flake off and produce those pits.
botakchek
post Apr 13 2017, 05:57 AM

4 posts

QUOTE(gunners_my @ Apr 12 2017, 09:49 PM)
Yihi used to be good.. slightly behind DNA IMHO... but, recently I bought the IPV8.. OMG, terrible... I donno how to explain. But, the power seems very weak, unlike previous IPV especially when we do TC... I tuned around the TCR setting. Same. At the end, gave up and sold off after three days of frustration. Frankly, I think my pico and pico dual much better than the IPV8 despite the facts that IPV8 looks so cool on surface  rclxub.gif
I got my SX Mini G class recently, hand itchy, wanted to try Yihi, I think its better than the DNA250, even for TC. The plus points for the DNA so far for me is that I can vape while charging and the customisability of the software.

The SX550J chip meanwhile, has been absolutely amazing!
gunners_my
post Apr 13 2017, 09:07 AM

Enthusiast
847 posts

QUOTE(botakchek @ Apr 13 2017, 06:57 AM)
I got my SX Mini G class recently, hand itchy, wanted to try Yihi, I think its better than the DNA250, even for TC. The plus points for the DNA so far for me is that I can vape while charging and the customisability of the software.

The SX550J chip meanwhile, has been absolutely amazing!
ohmy.gif so, the problems perhaps lies with the YiHi SX330-F8 chip on IPV8... doh.gif
But, sometimes we can't compares the SX Mini G with IPV8.. pricing wise, both are from different planet. So, the only thing I can conclude is .. don't buy YIHI's cheap stuff. laugh.gif
gunners_my
post Apr 13 2017, 09:16 AM

Enthusiast
847 posts

QUOTE(andyng38 @ Apr 13 2017, 02:33 AM)
Some time last year I bought a supercheap pocket microscope from shopee. One evening I decided to use it to view some coils. Holyfishcakes! The SS coil I had been rocking for about 6 or 7 weeks looked really pitted. Made me wonder where all the metal which came from those pits went to.

I now slap in fresh coils if the surface of the wire starts to feel a bit bumpy and mottled (after a dry burn). Figured that the bumpiness precedes the metal starting to flake off and produce those pits.
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif OMG.. never really tried with the microscope.. could be horrible sweat.gif sweat.gif
bro.. the only thing i notice the was surface looks ok, just the taste slightly went off and the ohm reading was still kinda intact and not jumping around. so, really confused. Initially I thought was the cotton. changed to new cotton, same. Those days with khantal, hardly got this problem. I mean, khantal easily last me whole month. So, this is the only setback on SS on my side. Apart from that, there's really no way back for me on SS...
Eiraku
post Apr 13 2017, 09:39 AM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(andyng38 @ Apr 13 2017, 01:33 AM)

Well, you see those black flecks that drop off when you wash your coils, especially the really flat, one dimensional looking ones? They MIGHT not just burnt off gunk (and carbonised wicking material), hence the importance of properly washing off dryburnt coils.

TBH though, I'm still reading up on material thermodynamics to see what pitting is all about (it's fairly complicated), so I might be wrong.

To be fair, once the coils have pitted enough it WILL start to fluctuate badly resistance-wise (and by extension, work liek shiat for TC) so yeah, I'm sticking to resistance flux as my Coil EOL (end of life) indicator for now.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Apr 13 2017, 09:54 AM
gunners_my
post Apr 13 2017, 10:07 AM

Enthusiast
847 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Apr 13 2017, 10:39 AM)
Well, you see those black flecks that drop off when you wash your coils, especially the really flat, one dimensional looking ones? They MIGHT not just burnt off gunk (and carbonised wicking material), hence the importance of properly washing off dryburnt coils.

TBH though, I'm still reading up on material thermodynamics to see what pitting is all about (it's fairly complicated), so I might be wrong.

To be fair, once the coils have pitted enough it WILL start to fluctuate badly resistance-wise (and by extension, work liek shiat for TC) so yeah, I'm sticking to resistance flux as my Coil EOL (end of life) indicator for now.
bro.. resistance flux could be a good indication.. but, my side a bit weird... resistance steady and no jump around. But, the flavours just went missing... anyway, will try with tanks starting from today. Perhaps in tanks, I won't be so sensitive with it.. let's see..
anyway, just to clarify.. dry burnt to wash off gunks are the same process like we did with khantal, rite? Except we did it with SS and using power wattage mode..I usually did it daily for 15ml of daily vaping.. most of the time, not much gunks (probably due to my liquids no extra sweetness), but can see the color changed back to the original steel color.. correct me if I am wrong...
Eiraku
post Apr 13 2017, 10:27 AM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(gunners_my @ Apr 13 2017, 10:07 AM)
bro.. resistance flux could be a good indication.. but, my side a bit weird... resistance steady and no jump around. But, the flavours just went missing... anyway, will try with tanks starting from today. Perhaps in tanks, I won't be so sensitive with it.. let's see..

anyway, just to clarify.. dry burnt to wash off gunks are the same process like we did with khantal, rite? Except we did it with SS and using power wattage mode..I usually did it daily for 15ml of daily vaping.. most of the time, not much gunks (probably due to my liquids no extra sweetness), but can see the color changed back to the original steel color..  correct me if I am wrong...
At least that's what I do personally, dry burn in Power mode. I do think it's because it's in a dripper that you can so quickly discern the taste going off.

Also, it seems like an orange glow is as far as you would want to dry burn SS... going as far as cherry red glow might give out some weird off taste as a result of he SS oxidising or something, which in turn goes into the wick and vapour afterwards and gives you a certain metallic taste.

Specifically why, I have no idea, but it's an often enough repeated anecdote across the Internet to be of significant importance IMHO.

Also, if you get a hot leg or something and it glows past white until a leg (or any part of the coil) breaks off (melts), throw the coil+leg away and wash the whole deck throughly. Melting SS = hexavalent chromium and no, you don't wanna vape that.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Apr 13 2017, 10:35 AM
gunners_my
post Apr 13 2017, 10:46 AM

Enthusiast
847 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Apr 13 2017, 11:27 AM)
At least that's what I do personally, dry burn in Power mode. I do think it's because it's in a dripper that you can so quickly discern the taste going off.

Also, it seems like an orange glow is as far as you would want to dry burn SS... going as far as cherry red glow might give out some weird off taste as a result of he SS oxidising or something, which in turn goes into the wick and vapour afterwards and gives you a certain metallic taste.

Specifically why, I have no idea, but it's an often enough repeated anecdote across the Internet to be of significant importance IMHO.

Also, if you get a hot leg or something and it glows past white until a leg (or any part of the coil) breaks off (melts), throw the coil+leg away and wash the whole deck throughly. Melting SS = hexavalent chromium and no, you don't wanna vape that.
ok, bro. thanks for your advice. Appreciate it. thumbup.gif

137 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Bump Topic Topic ClosedOptions New Topic

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0204sec    0.82    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:02 PM