Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

107 Pages « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> DIY cable, Pictures of DIY cables (DIY)

views

TSPcWork
post Sep 22 2006, 01:33 PM

Audio Phreak
6,477 posts

QUOTE(mADmAN @ Sep 20 2006, 09:32 PM)
my latest creation

this is the 3rd DIY cable ive made.. and i think this one looks hell of alot better than the previous 2.. mebbe coz its easy... 1 plug to 1 plug instead of the previous 2 which were splitters. anyway...here it is...

user posted image

like the sleeving? brows.gif

and here it is in action with my previous RCA splitters

user posted image

the white thingy cables are actually monster cables meant for iPod thumbup.gif

plugs are RM3.50 per piece in SS2. and used 2-core shielded microphone cable. it states on the cable "Maruni Professional Microphone Cable Japan"  wink.gif
don't buy maruni brother.... =P
why? you know why i say that.. =P

where do you get shoelace ? i want to buy too. for cheap use. and some cable i need to bend it. those techflex some time quite hard.

mADmAN
post Sep 22 2006, 03:22 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

dont buy maruni?? why man?? that bad meh? i know they aint as good as canare la but i dun wanna go through the hassle of driving to jalan pasar to get the canares just yet. besides.. its just for playing first... and ive already bought like 20 metres 2 days ago for me to play with laugh.gif doh.gif

the shoelaces i bought from a stall in 1Utama. on the 3rd floor in the new wing. cant remember exact details...but its there. its a stall with TONNES of shoelaces on them with many kinds of funky designs. take note theyre not sold by the meter.. theyre sold as normal shoelace length which is about 1 meter per piece.

a colleague of mine also told me of some shops in Jalan TAR that sells shoelaces by the meter but dunno whether they have them funky designs or not. and i dunno where them shops are too
mADmAN
post Oct 1 2006, 05:29 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

finished 3 mini-mini ICs today.... all using the maruni microphone cables with unknown RM3 plugs and sleeved with more shoelaces icon_rolleyes.gif wub.gif

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
ijan
post Oct 1 2006, 06:31 PM

The one with a boring life...
3,289 posts

i haf to say, they are ROCKING KEWL! biggrin.gif
bsl555
post Oct 1 2006, 06:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

QUOTE(mADmAN @ Oct 1 2006, 05:29 PM)
finished 3 mini-mini ICs today.... all using the maruni microphone cables with unknown RM3 plugs and sleeved with more shoelaces icon_rolleyes.gif  wub.gif
Hahahha!..looks like its meant for those who like to play pirate music?
PowerSlide
post Oct 1 2006, 07:41 PM

----------
5,912 posts

wahaha..dats awesome man

cap pirate cable laugh.gif
Eokboy
post Oct 1 2006, 08:06 PM

BRIX!
1,599 posts

I'd like to see you try market them to rich middle-aged audiophiles for at least RM8000 laugh.gif
rioven
post Oct 2 2006, 12:04 AM

Enthusiast
958 posts

reminds me to "Pirates of Caribbean"....the curse makes people attracted drool.gif LOL
mADmAN
post Oct 2 2006, 01:38 AM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

pirate?? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

never thought of it that way man... i used skulls because i kinda have a thing for skulls tongue.gif

QUOTE(Eokboy @ Oct 1 2006, 08:06 PM)
I'd like to see you try market them to rich middle-aged audiophiles for at least RM8000 laugh.gif
MUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA...... find me a dude whos willing to pay RM8k for those cables and ill sell it to him for half price at RM4k tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif
TSPcWork
post Oct 2 2006, 11:11 AM

Audio Phreak
6,477 posts

QUOTE(mADmAN @ Oct 2 2006, 01:38 AM)
pirate?? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

never thought of it that way man... i used skulls because i kinda have a thing for skulls tongue.gif
MUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA...... find me a dude whos willing to pay RM8k for those cables and ill sell it to him for half price at RM4k tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif
dude. that's very cool..
try make it shorter. many female ipod user will buy from u. but get those cute cute pattern one. sure they love it... er.. does female usually use an headamp?
valve_300b
post Oct 2 2006, 11:32 AM

Getting Started
212 posts

QUOTE(Eokboy @ Oct 1 2006, 08:06 PM)
you must be joking smile.gif those does look good, but i doubt it sounds as good as it looks.
empire23
post Oct 2 2006, 11:46 AM

Team Island Hopper
Group Icon
9,391 posts

QUOTE(valve_300b @ Oct 2 2006, 11:32 AM)
you must be joking smile.gif those does look good, but i doubt it sounds as good as it looks.
People buy cables for good looks, not sound dude tongue.gif It's a proven fact after so many blind tests. But you can compare shielded with unshielded, copper and silver and plug matching (impedence mismatch FTW), but still, even twisted shielded silver is still cheaper than what most people out there say about boutique cables.

Example : Audiophiles say shorter is better, but in the case of Impedence mismatch and reflective signalling, longer might be better because it serves to attenuate the reflection before it can affect the source.

Networking easily teaches you how to spot a bad cable and characteristics you might be looking for. Owh how i love RG58 cable tongue.gif Plus Vampire tap FTW
valve_300b
post Oct 2 2006, 12:27 PM

Getting Started
212 posts

QUOTE(empire23 @ Oct 2 2006, 11:46 AM)
People buy cables for good looks, not sound dude tongue.gif It's a proven fact after so many blind tests. But you can compare shielded with unshielded, copper and silver and plug matching (impedence mismatch FTW), but still, even twisted shielded silver is still cheaper than what most people out there say about boutique cables.

Example : Audiophiles say shorter is better, but in the case of Impedence mismatch and reflective signalling, longer might be better because it serves to attenuate the reflection before it can affect the source.

Networking easily teaches you how to spot a bad cable and characteristics you might be looking for. Owh how i love RG58 cable tongue.gif Plus Vampire tap FTW
i couldn't agree on that, i brought cable for their characteristic and sound and not look. Ya networking might teach u how to spot a bad cable, but it doesn't teach you how to spot a good or bad sounded cable. It's your ear which can decide that.

Since you care about the look of the cable rather than listen to them, then i don't suppose your ear can make much decision. Hope you enjoy looking at your system smile.gif
Tachikoma
post Oct 2 2006, 12:30 PM

Dot
2,845 posts

QUOTE(valve_300b @ Oct 2 2006, 12:27 PM)
i couldn't agree on that, i brought cable for their characteristic and sound and not look. Ya networking might teach u how to spot a bad cable, but it doesn't teach you how to spot a good or bad sounded cable. It's your ear which can decide that.

Since you care about the look of the cable rather than listen to them, then i don't suppose your ear can make much decision. Hope you enjoy looking at your system smile.gif
notworthy.gif

Genius. Pure genius.
valve_300b
post Oct 2 2006, 02:01 PM

Getting Started
212 posts

i couldn't agree more, DIY is definitely a starting point. It does beat the crap out of any other cable if you do it correctly.

I started off with DIY also, as your components get better, you will realised that the DIY cable is no longer good enough and reach a point where there is no better way to improve on the cable.

Then come the commercial cable for your solution. Try them out, if you hear improvement, oh that is when the poison comes in, you'll keep thinking of it smile.gif
jigon
post Oct 2 2006, 03:05 PM

Terbaik!!!
584 posts

nahh..unless i've upgraded my lifestyle to higher ranking caste...then the commercial cable will come to my mind..but for now..DIY is far too good for me.. tongue.gif

btw..cool shoelaces there...anybody know of higher quality material of shoelaces exist? teflon coated? carbon woven? tongue.gif i am among the one searching for a cool looking cable too!! tongue.gif

Cheers thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by jigon: Oct 3 2006, 11:27 AM
empire23
post Oct 2 2006, 05:53 PM

Team Island Hopper
Group Icon
9,391 posts

Since you care about the look of the cable rather than listen to them, then i don't suppose your ear can make much decision. Hope you enjoy looking at your system

They're all the same. Trust me. Math and subjectivism don't match. Math is a priori which all things derive their foundations from. To me, copper is copper, and mind you the bandwidth being used by the audio spectrum is only from 20 to 20khz, baseband digital has less to work with in even smaller operating windows than audio. Mind you some using Belden's top of the line CAT5E and braided them for crosstalk and uniform dispersion have compared them to stuff costing thousands of ringgit.

In this case, the math and my ears say the same thing if interference isn't an issue, heck my brain says it. It says "you're hearing things" tongue.gif

I rather go through a checklist of the above then it comes to cable before the "sound"

- Handling characteristics
- Flexibility
- Oxidizational preference
- Strenght of contact grip
- Kewl Look laugh.gif

I'm not even bothering with networking specifics when it comes to audio cable like

- Capacitance
- Resistance
- Inductance
- Crosstalk
- Attenuation
- Impedence Mismatch
- Reflection
- Low and High Frequency Shielding (foil/braid)

Why? because no ear can hear it, unless you're planning to make a cable run of 100 meters dahling blush.gif and the fact is, digital data is a few million times faster and more complex. So i kind of select attributes where i need them. It's not like i take into context the shelf life of canned goods, true, it's a factor, but not an important one.

Wanna make your setup sound better? Open it up, look in her circuits and see what you can improve. You'll be amazed. Seriously.

Eokboy
post Oct 2 2006, 06:20 PM

BRIX!
1,599 posts

QUOTE(empire23 @ Oct 2 2006, 05:53 PM)
They're all the same. Trust me. Math and subjectivism don't match. Math is a priori which all things derive their foundations from. To me, copper is copper, and mind you the bandwidth being used by the audio spectrum is only from 20 to 20khz, baseband digital has less to work with in even smaller operating windows than audio.
You sound like Dan (dansdata) in his battle against snake oil in the audio industry.

Metermen vs Subjectivist
bsl555
post Oct 2 2006, 10:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

Trust you..nope!.. When I sit down and listen attentively, my ears ARE the judge, pushing all that science aside for another time & place. Many matters will defy theory and science.
Consider Kewl looks?. ohmy.gif Not me and that includes a fair number of hifi enthusiasts I know well enough.

This post has been edited by bsl555: Oct 2 2006, 10:19 PM
Tachikoma
post Oct 2 2006, 11:42 PM

Dot
2,845 posts

I'm not even bothering with networking specifics when it comes to audio cable like

- Capacitance
- Resistance
- Inductance
- Crosstalk
- Attenuation
- Impedence Mismatch
- Reflection
- Low and High Frequency Shielding (foil/braid)

Why? because no ear can hear it, unless you're planning to make a cable run of 100 meters dahling blush.gif and the fact is, digital data is a few million times faster and more complex. So i kind of select attributes where i need them. It's not like i take into context the shelf life of canned goods, true, it's a factor, but not an important one.

First of all, how much do you know about analogue signal transmission? How did you conclude that only digital data is affected by the aforementioned attributes? (inductance and capacitance are key considerations in speaker/headphone/interconnect cable design.. among other things) Have you experimented with cables making a statement as bold (literally tongue.gif) as that?

Many matters will defy theory and science.

I honestly doubt that. Mankind simply hasn't discovered everything yet.

This post has been edited by Tachikoma: Oct 2 2006, 11:50 PM

107 Pages « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0405sec    5.44    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th November 2019 - 07:34 AM