Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> DIY cable, Pictures of DIY cables (DIY)

views

mADmAN
post Jul 28 2006, 12:17 AM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

hey guys.....anyone used network cables and turn them into audio cables??

was thinking of making since i have some spare network cables in the office and i have nuttin better to do....

been reading up on it online..but those are kinda insane... going up to the point of braiding 27 pairs blink.gif wacko.gif ohmy.gif

i was thinking of maybe using 8 pairs to build a mini - mini. anyone has any idea as to which cables to use as ground and which cables for right and left??? thanks
mADmAN
post Jul 28 2006, 12:28 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

nakamichi??? and they charge a bomb....sheesh.... hehehe

but i need to know which wire goes where.... friggin blur reading all the stuffs online.... with the cancellation thingy and this and that la.... rclxub.gif
mADmAN
post Sep 3 2006, 04:34 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

my first ever DIY cable...

i needed a really short splitter so i decided to make one myself for the heck of it.

used 4 pairs of CAT5 cable (twisted), cheapo female minis and a metal housing male mini... all plugs below RM4 each. they dont have any good ones near my house and i aint that free to go jalan pasar...so itll do..

also sleeved it with UV reactive purple cable sleeves cap uglyvamp thumbup.gif

i know it aint much compared to the rest here...but it works! sound wise... i dont hear any difference tongue.gif

user posted image

This post has been edited by mADmAN: Sep 3 2006, 05:06 PM
mADmAN
post Sep 6 2006, 02:55 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

greetings masters...

i was wondering if anyone could help me identify these RCA plugs coz they dont have any markings on them...

the male plugs were bought for RM15 for 1 pair (RM7.50 each)... once again i dont have time to go jln pasar so i just bought them in an electrical spare parts shop in SS2.

the female plugs i cant remember how much per piece doh.gif

im planning to use them to make RCA splitters (1 male -> 2 female) for audio using CAT5 cables (NOT CAT5e... just normal CAT5).

forgive the picture quality as i took using camera phone (w810i)..heres the pix...
user posted image

the female connectors

user posted image

and finally the male (this one actually has quite abit of weight in them..so mebbe its good??)

user posted image

appreciate any help i can get... thanks in advance notworthy.gif

EDIT: forgot to ask... anyone knows where i can get them cable sleeving with various sizes?? want something they sell by the metre....

This post has been edited by mADmAN: Sep 6 2006, 05:27 PM
mADmAN
post Sep 6 2006, 06:28 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

thanks ijan...

me planning to use 4 pairs of cat5 cables (the 4 pairs in 1 cat5 wire)

u saying use 4 aka 16 pairs to make the cable?
mADmAN
post Sep 6 2006, 07:13 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

i need to make 1 male -> 2 female as a splitter to 2 seperate output units..... (both output units have different inputs and i already have the cables for them... but the source of both of them are RCA males...hence the 2 females)

using cat5 simply because i have some biggrin.gif besides.. i just need a short one.. not a long one... mebbe even less than half a foot long tongue.gif and oso doing it for fun and learning and this will only be my 2nd DIY cable hence all the questions...

and whats component cable? which shop in ss2 has it? the one on same row as MCDonalds or the one behind pelita nasi kandar?? canare can get in ss2 meh?

ill probably be making real mini-mini IC later on when i actually have the time to go Jalan Pasar and get some proper cables and plugs.. but for now.. still in learning stage so playing around here n there
mADmAN
post Sep 6 2006, 07:23 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

@SEP910
got ur PM bro... thanks alot...

and SS2 electrical spare parts shop dont seem to have any branded plugs... only unbranded ones like i posted above and in page 3.
mADmAN
post Sep 14 2006, 01:05 AM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

ok guys... ive finished the RCA splitters that i wanted to do... and here are pix... i still think its not up to standards as the rest here... but me still noob... so still learning.... and i think im improving biggrin.gif

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

now check this out... brows.gif

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

i ended up NOT using the CAT5 and decided to get some 4 core shielded cables. no idea what cables they are... but they work so im fine with it thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by mADmAN: Sep 14 2006, 01:09 AM
mADmAN
post Sep 14 2006, 01:15 AM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

the black and purple cable sleeves i bought from uglyvamp. u can find in bulk section oso... moderno and niclasteoh are bulking them.

the green are vantec cable sleeves.. have to buy the entire set lor...

This post has been edited by mADmAN: Sep 14 2006, 01:16 AM
mADmAN
post Sep 14 2006, 04:39 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

QUOTE(PcWork @ Sep 14 2006, 04:13 PM)
mADmAN
suggestion for you. try to sleeve the join part with some cloth sleeve before heatshrink it. it will help to hole the wire in place. and maybe make the wire same in diameter. looks better.
=)
w00t! thanks for the tip!! will remember that... and will also have to remember to get bigger heatshrinks doh.gif
mADmAN
post Sep 20 2006, 09:32 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

my latest creation

this is the 3rd DIY cable ive made.. and i think this one looks hell of alot better than the previous 2.. mebbe coz its easy... 1 plug to 1 plug instead of the previous 2 which were splitters. anyway...here it is...

user posted image

like the sleeving? brows.gif

and here it is in action with my previous RCA splitters

user posted image

the white thingy cables are actually monster cables meant for iPod thumbup.gif

plugs are RM3.50 per piece in SS2. and used 2-core shielded microphone cable. it states on the cable "Maruni Professional Microphone Cable Japan" wink.gif

This post has been edited by mADmAN: Sep 20 2006, 09:34 PM
mADmAN
post Sep 21 2006, 05:59 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

laugh.gif believe it or not....

theyre shoelaces...yep im serious.. them strings u use to tie ur shoes. shoelaces laugh.gif
mADmAN
post Sep 21 2006, 09:27 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

i think im hooked on this DIY cable thing wink.gif so heres another one.. using 4core shielded cable. sleeving is the same as above only diff colour.. plugs oso same as above.

user posted image
mADmAN
post Sep 22 2006, 03:22 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

dont buy maruni?? why man?? that bad meh? i know they aint as good as canare la but i dun wanna go through the hassle of driving to jalan pasar to get the canares just yet. besides.. its just for playing first... and ive already bought like 20 metres 2 days ago for me to play with laugh.gif doh.gif

the shoelaces i bought from a stall in 1Utama. on the 3rd floor in the new wing. cant remember exact details...but its there. its a stall with TONNES of shoelaces on them with many kinds of funky designs. take note theyre not sold by the meter.. theyre sold as normal shoelace length which is about 1 meter per piece.

a colleague of mine also told me of some shops in Jalan TAR that sells shoelaces by the meter but dunno whether they have them funky designs or not. and i dunno where them shops are too
mADmAN
post Oct 1 2006, 05:29 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

finished 3 mini-mini ICs today.... all using the maruni microphone cables with unknown RM3 plugs and sleeved with more shoelaces icon_rolleyes.gif wub.gif

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
mADmAN
post Oct 2 2006, 01:38 AM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

pirate?? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

never thought of it that way man... i used skulls because i kinda have a thing for skulls tongue.gif

QUOTE(Eokboy @ Oct 1 2006, 08:06 PM)
I'd like to see you try market them to rich middle-aged audiophiles for at least RM8000 laugh.gif
MUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA...... find me a dude whos willing to pay RM8k for those cables and ill sell it to him for half price at RM4k tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif
mADmAN
post Oct 28 2006, 06:32 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

@PCWork
wat mini plug u using for those headphones bro? and where u get the cable sleeves?

also, do u happen to have any spare F12 plugs that can sell to me? looking for 3 pieces if u have.

i made 2 mini-rcas to test wth my newly acquired icute battery II headamp

this one is with unknown cheapo plugs + unknown 4-core shielded cable

user posted image

finally decided to get my hands on ORIGINAL Canare L-4E6S biggrin.gif

user posted image

red shrink is for right and the blue+white cable is actually shrinked with clear heatshrink meant for left. plugs are Canare F10.

mini is a 24k gold plated Radioshack plug. yes yes i know radioshack plugs sux but they didnt have the F12 in stock. so i used this plug which i bought while i was in San Francisco a few weeks back.

This post has been edited by mADmAN: Oct 28 2006, 06:34 PM
mADmAN
post Oct 29 2006, 03:20 AM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

hey guys....can someone give me some comments/ thoughts on the following cable combos

1/ Canare L-4E6S with the taiwan gold stereo mini x2
2/ Canare L-4E6S with the REAN stereo mini x2

how does it sound? does it help widen the soundstage?

would really like to know the effects on the bass and mids and highs as well as the soundstage.

thanks in advance.
mADmAN
post Oct 29 2006, 03:36 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

eh?? radioshack plugs??? where u got the radioshack plugs??

mine i bought in radioshack itself while i was in SF a few weeks back and i just removed the radioshack label from the plug
mADmAN
post Oct 29 2006, 07:06 PM

} InSAnITY PErSoNaFIeD {
All Stars
10,417 posts

its a sunday, im free. and i had nuttin better to do. so i made another mini-rca to test with my headamp (that makes it 3 cables to test!!)

user posted image
user posted image

mini is a cheapo plug. the RCA is some cheap china brand "Choseal" supposedly a "Super Pure Copper Connector" as stated on the packaging. bough it in Darson in Jalan Pasar... 1 pack of 4 is RM19.70. there are more expensive ones but i didnt bother with those.

cable is a fake of the Canare L-2T2S. labelled as Canere L2T-2S. yes.. its spelled with an E and the "-" in the model number is in the wrong place laugh.gif just like the original its a 2-core shielded cable. price is RM2.50 per metre.

under the clear heatshrink, the silver cables u see spiralling around the blue and white RCA cable is actually the shield. took me some time to unbraid it. used it as ground on the mini side. but did not terminate it on the RCA side (should i have terminated it?? its a uni-directional cable anyway)

5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0406sec    1.39    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th November 2019 - 06:56 AM